PDA

View Full Version : Will Draft Stock

Cowbell
10-06-2022, 06:50 AM
I honestly believe we are gonna see Will's draft stock rise over the next month. Not for this year of course but I think after these next few games, publications and media are gonna be paying closer attention to us and I think he has his best football ahead of him. This next month will be what builds the the off-season hype leading into next season. If he can continue to get rid of the ball quickly then scouts are gonna start paying better attention to him. For me, that's the key. Hope he balls out. Again, I love the type of kid we have leading our team on and off the field.

msstate7
10-06-2022, 06:59 AM
Bailey zappe went 4th round, so that's good news for will. Both are short, and neither have impressive arms for the nfl. Zappe is starting bc of injury now, so will should be pulling for Bailey to perform well.

Santiago
10-06-2022, 07:39 AM
Definitely going to help us in recruiting if Will and RaRa can get drafted next year.

Goldendawg
10-06-2022, 12:47 PM
Hope he lights it up Saturday!

msu15
10-06-2022, 12:53 PM
Definitely going to help us in recruiting if Will and RaRa can get drafted next year.

I assume you meant 2024 draft because this reads like you mean 2023. Rara isn't eligible to be drafted until 2024.

Johnson85
10-06-2022, 01:08 PM

I think RaRa getting drafted would be a boost. I'm not sure Will's draft position is going to matter that much. Certainly it would be better for us if he gets drafted, but since he doesn't have typical NFL measurables to begin with, I don't think it will scare off any QBs if he doesn't get drafted high or at all. I hope Rogers sticks around for his full eligibility, but what would help us is a Leach air raid QB making it to the NFL and proving to be ahead of the curve as far as making reads. You already have Gardner Minshew making it at 6'1. If Will can get any playing time, I think that tells QBs that Leach's air raid is good preparation for NFL offenses today.

basedog
10-06-2022, 01:23 PM
Bailey zappe went 4th round, so that's good news for will. Both are short, and neither have impressive arms for the nfl. Zappe is starting bc of injury now, so will should be pulling for Bailey to perform well.

You saying 6'2" is short? NfL Qb's seem to be changing all the time. Use to be stand in the pocket all the time. Now it's move out of the pocket when need be and also destinated plays for Qb to run. Will is mostly that stand in the pocket Qb but I wouldn't call him short.

msstate7
10-06-2022, 01:34 PM
You saying 6'2" is short? NfL Qb's seem to be changing all the time. Use to be stand in the pocket all the time. Now it's move out of the pocket when need be and also destinated plays for Qb to run. Will is mostly that stand in the pocket Qb but I wouldn't call him short.

Most nfl qbs are probably pushing 6'4". I'd guess will's height on the listing is generous

Goldendawg
10-06-2022, 01:49 PM
Average height of starting NFL QB is 6'3".

Matt3467
10-06-2022, 02:20 PM
Aaron Rodgers and Dak are 6'2. Imo Rodgers is the GOAT.

msstate7
10-06-2022, 02:25 PM
Aaron Rodgers and Dak are 6'2. Imo Rodgers is the GOAT.

And both are very athletic. Without looking it up, I'd guess most of the qbs under 6'3" are athletic types, and the pocket passes are usually 6'3" and up. Of course there will be exceptions.

You think dak and will are the same height? Will is probably closer to 6'1".

Im not saying he can't make it at his size, but his size will absolutely be a mark against him

Matt3467
10-06-2022, 02:35 PM
And both are very athletic. Without looking it up, I'd guess most of the qbs under 6'3" are athletic types, and the pocket passes are usually 6'3" and up. Of course there will be exceptions.

You think dak and will are the same height? Will is probably closer to 6'1".

Im not saying he can't make it at his size, but his size will absolutely be a mark against him

I was just talking about the knock on his height. I don't think Will is an NFL QB. Decent college QB but not at the next level.

dawgman15
10-06-2022, 02:53 PM
Gardner Minshew is not 6' 1" tall

msstate7
10-06-2022, 03:02 PM
Gardner Minshew is not 6' 1" tall

Late round pick. Good back up.

This is absolutely a path will can follow, and it would be awesome for him. Sticking around the nfl for 4-5 years as a qb (even backup) is a hell of a career. There's 32 starters, and countless top picks that flop.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2022, 03:54 PM
Late round pick. Good back up.

This is absolutely a path will can follow, and it would be awesome for him. Sticking around the nfl for 4-5 years as a qb (even backup) is a hell of a career. There's 32 starters, and countless top picks that flop.

I can see this and ain't nothing wrong with it!

Cooterpoot
10-06-2022, 04:03 PM

I agree. This popped in my head watching him the other night.

HancockCountyDog
10-06-2022, 04:59 PM
The great thing for MSU is that the NFL doesn't draft a backup QB in the first 3 rounds. They draft potential.

I think Will is going to light it up for us for the next two years. He isn't going to leave early after next year to be a late round pick. I think he stays and re-writes the record book in the SEC for passing yards and TDs.

msstate7
10-06-2022, 06:08 PM
The great thing for MSU is that the NFL doesn't draft a backup QB in the first 3 rounds. They draft potential.

I think Will is going to light it up for us for the next two years. He isn't going to leave early after next year to be a late round pick. I think he stays and re-writes the record book in the SEC for passing yards and TDs.

This is exactly what he should do.

Leroy Jenkins
10-06-2022, 06:42 PM
Chase Daniel has made over 40 million dollars as a career backup. It's good work if you can get it.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2022, 07:37 PM

Not just sec. if he stays he will rewrite the ncaa record books.

Commercecomet24
10-06-2022, 07:38 PM
Chase Daniel has made over 40 million dollars as a career backup. It's good work if you can get it.

I'd take it in a heartbeat!

You make a lot of money and you're not as beat up as a guy who was a starter his whole career!

Lord McBuckethead
10-07-2022, 12:40 AM
And you would be wrong. Rodgers wouldn?t be in the top 7 qbs of all time.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-07-2022, 06:42 AM

I compared Will to Chase Daniel a few months ago in a post. Lots of snaps in college, smart, not a locker room distraction. He can come in and perform if the starter goes down without a lot of practice reps. Daniel has made a great career out of it.

PGHBulldogBG
10-07-2022, 08:01 AM
Will needs to prove to the NFL that he can make deep throws consistently. That’s more important than his height as this is his biggest weakness. Yes he is not very mobile, but his accuracy is spot on and his release time seems to be significantly improved. I think he comes back for 2023 season to get a higher draft rating, but I’m much more confident Will can be a NFL QB after seeing his improvements year over year.

Cooterpoot
10-07-2022, 08:13 AM

Gone after next year. He won't improve his stock by staying another year beyond that.

WhiskeyPirate
10-07-2022, 08:29 AM
Gone after next year. He won't improve his stock by staying another year beyond that.

Lol

Quaoarsking
10-07-2022, 08:49 AM

You keep saying that thread after thread, and I (and many others) just don't believe you.

In January 2024, he'll be faced with the decision to move on, or return for a 5th year and not just set but obliterate every NCAA passing record (to the extent that he'll probably still have them in the year 2100 if nothing fundamentally changes about football rules and eligiblity) and get a chance to lead us to the expanded 12-team playoff. He may not know it yet, but he's going to choose to return unless he's a legit top NFL draft pick.

WhiskeyPirate
10-07-2022, 08:52 AM
You keep saying that thread after thread, and I (and many others) just don't believe you.

In January 2024, he'll be faced with the decision to move on, or return for a 5th year and not just set but obliterate every NCAA passing record (to the extent that he'll probably still have them in the year 2100 if nothing fundamentally changes about football rules and eligiblity) and get a chance to lead us to the expanded 12-team playoff. He may not know it yet, but he's going to choose to return unless he's a legit top NFL draft pick.
Wills going to leave after this year to be a first round pick and Leach is going to retire after this year.

Hot takes.

Coach34
10-07-2022, 08:55 AM

This

If he stays a 5th year it would be to just set records because he knows there is not much of a life in the NFL for him. Because of his intelligence and accuracy up to 20 yards- I would expect him to leave after next season and see what happens. Some NFL team will likely take a flyer on him in the later rounds and give him a chance to be Chase Daniel or Minshew.

WhiskeyPirate
10-07-2022, 08:56 AM
This

If he stays a 5th year it would be to just set records because he knows there is not much of a life in the NFL for him. Because of his intelligence and accuracy up to 20 yards- I would expect him to leave after next season and see what happens. Some NFL team will likely take a flyer on him in the later rounds and give him a chance to be Chase Daniel or Minshew.

Lol

msstate7
10-07-2022, 09:01 AM
Wills going to leave after this year to be a first round pick and Leach is going to retire after this year.

Hot takes.

1st round? That's bold

State82
10-07-2022, 09:03 AM
It's good work if you can get it.

Best gig in the world of professional sports.

Johnson85
10-07-2022, 09:29 AM
This

Is staying one more year really going to change that though? If he can become the all time NCAA passing leader, that is something that can get him paid appearances for the foreseeable future. And give him a hook if he ever wants to go into sports broadcasting or something. Not saying he should stay, but I think his calculus is a little different then the normal player considering a 5th year of eligibility when his draft stock is already maxed out.

Quaoarsking
10-07-2022, 10:10 AM
It's not just the records (though those would be awesome), it's living the awesome college star life for another year, and having a real shot at getting into the playoffs that I predict will lure him back.

NCDawg
10-07-2022, 10:24 AM
Not just sec. if he stays he will rewrite the ncaa record books.

Will is half the equation to state the obvious. He has to have good receivers to be successful.

Commercecomet24
10-07-2022, 10:36 AM
Will is half the equation to state the obvious. He has to have good receivers to be successful.

I agree 100%. And on rethinking it he's really 1/3, counting the ol as the other third of the equation.

HancockCountyDog
10-07-2022, 10:59 AM

I would think he could get a better NIL deal than what a 4th-7th round pick makes and stay for another season with way less pressure.

Minshew was drafted in the 6th round. He made less than 600K in his first season.

I would think he could get close to that in NIL money if he was going to break Keenum's passing yard total. Hell, he could be the first QB to hit 20,000 yards. That is a record worth staying for.

If he throws for 4,500 this year he will be a little over 11,000 yards. He would just need back to back 4,500 yard seasons to hit 20,000.00 and be the all time NCAA passing leader. Of course he should do that.

HancockCountyDog
10-07-2022, 11:00 AM

Y'all are underestimating how well he fits this offense. I've been saying it for a while, this offense looks good because Will runs it to perfection.

BlackSailsDawg
10-07-2022, 11:44 AM
I 100% believe he will be in the NFL.

His arm is nowhere near as bad as some think and demand that it is. There is a difference in not throwing it deep and not being able to. Just because he was hesitate last year doesn't mean he is this year. We have taken many shots down field and he has been on target for the better part. NFLDraftBuzz has his passing break down like this

Game performance weighted rating
Short Passing:
83%
Medium Passing:
91%
Long Passing:
92%

He makes throws that Dak can not hit consistently. That's not a knock on Dak, they are 2 different QBs.

BlackSailsDawg
10-07-2022, 11:45 AM
Y'all are underestimating how well he fits this offense. I've been saying it for a while, this offense looks good because Will runs it to perfection.

Exactly. And an NFL team would love to have the accuracy and the mental ability.

SilentSteel16
10-07-2022, 12:58 PM

AMEN !!!!!

Johnson85
10-07-2022, 02:12 PM
I 100% believe he will be in the NFL.

His arm is nowhere near as bad as some think and demand that it is. There is a difference in not throwing it deep and not being able to. Just because he was hesitate last year doesn't mean he is this year. We have taken many shots down field and he has been on target for the better part. NFLDraftBuzz has his passing break down like this

Game performance weighted rating
Short Passing:
83%
Medium Passing:
91%
Long Passing:
92%

He makes throws that Dak can not hit consistently. That's not a knock on Dak, they are 2 different QBs.

I don't think it's just deep throws in general that are the knock against him. If he's going over the top, I think he can throw it far enough and throw it accurately even if he's not on the same level of some NFL QBs. I think the question is going to be can he put enough zip on the deeper balls not going over the top. For example, can he throw a deep out against NFL DBs? I don't know the answer to that or even how important those type throws really are. Obviously it's better to be able to make more throws than few throws, but not sure if it's that hard to work around if you are accurate and make good decisions.

Commercecomet24
10-07-2022, 02:18 PM
I don't think it's just deep throws in general that are the knock against him. If he's going over the top, I think he can throw it far enough and throw it accurately even if he's not on the same level of some NFL QBs. I think the question is going to be can he put enough zip on the deeper balls not going over the top. For example, can he throw a deep out against NFL DBs?

That deep out is the throw that separates nfl qbs from good college qbs. You can judge whether it's an nfl arm or not by watching a qb throw an out route from the far hash across the field. Is it on a line or does it float? Can't float or it'll be picked 99 out of 100. Heck at the end of Peytons career the only throws he could make were short and intermediate in routes, he just didn't have anything left in his arm.

Catfish
10-07-2022, 02:40 PM
Someone posted a video on here several weeks back of Chris Parson and some other qb's throwing rockets to receivers in the end zone. Chris Parson, who signed with us, was putting some heat on his throws.

Cowbell
10-07-2022, 02:46 PM
Someone posted a video on here several weeks back of Chris Parson and some other qb's throwing rockets to receivers in the end zone. Chris Parson, who signed with us, was putting some heat on his throws.

That kid looks like the next starter here

Maverick91
10-07-2022, 02:46 PM

It ant much, but it?s honest work.

Catfish
10-07-2022, 03:05 PM

I don't know if he will or not, but he had a heck of an arm.

Commercecomet24
10-07-2022, 03:20 PM

I agree. Parson is legit, got all the tools, very intelligent, great arm and athletic. If he works hard he's gonna be a great one!

Commercecomet24
10-07-2022, 03:21 PM
It ant much, but it?s honest work.

Rep!

Cowbell
10-08-2022, 10:57 PM
Bump... and just like that, he's a heisman candidate and media is referencing his 23 draft stock.....

MrCoachKlein
10-08-2022, 11:36 PM
Will is gonna be the best clip board holder that ever lived.

In order things you need from QB:
1 - get lined up and play off - √
2- read D pre snap √
3 - accuracy/ball placement √
4 - arm strength. Can he throw an out to far hash - ? 50/50 is my guess.

He'll hold a clipboard for 8+ years and surprise people when he fills in is my best guess.

BeardoMSU
10-08-2022, 11:49 PM
Will is gonna be the best clip board holder that ever lived.

In order things you need from QB:
1 - get lined up and play off - √
2- read D pre snap √
3 - accuracy/ball placement √
4 - arm strength. Can he throw an out to far hash - ? 50/50 is my guess.

He'll hold a clipboard for 8+ years and surprise people when he fills in is my best guess.

Plenty of folks said Dak wouldn't even make the league. Sometimes, all you need is an opportunity.

msstate7
10-09-2022, 07:20 AM
Bump... and just like that, he's a heisman candidate and media is referencing his 23 draft stock.....

Awesome. Such an odd game to pick up steam though... this was one of his worst.

Offshore Dawg
10-09-2022, 02:05 PM
Some of you may regret wanting him to move on, to me he seems to be the right QB for
Leach's offense.

Commercecomet24
10-09-2022, 02:07 PM
Some of you may regret wanting him to move on, to me he seems to be the right QB for
Leach's offense.

Heck I want him to stay as long as he can.

msstate7
10-09-2022, 03:42 PM
Leach's offense.

I don't want him to move on. I hope he stays every ounce of his eligibility