No spread on this years game yet.

Info from scoresandodds.com

Kinda neat to know I think.

Coach34
11-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Mullenz be messin wit Vegas- still no line on the game

Todd4State
11-25-2013, 10:15 PM
My personal favorite stat- since the Egg Bowl returned to the campuses of State and Ole Miss- MSU leads 12-10.

Schultzy
11-25-2013, 10:24 PM
My personal favorite stat- since the Egg Bowl returned to the campuses of State and Ole Miss- MSU leads 12-10.

That's a good point. Was that an LT thing? I honestly don't know.

Todd4State
11-25-2013, 11:01 PM
The urban legend is fans got tired of their hub caps being stolen.

Seriously, it simply came down to money. If we played the Egg Bowl in Jackson at the Vet this year, we would have to bus our team to Jackson, put them up in a hotel, and then we would be splitting the gate with Ole Miss. Starkville wouldn't get any money at all from the game either. It woudn't help recruiting either since any and all recruits would be watching a neutral site game.

Davis-Wade and Vaught-Hemingway used to be a lot smaller in the 80's and in the 70's and 80's it probably made sense at that time for both schools to play at a bigger stadium in the middle of the state where everyone would have an equal chance to go. I don't know if the Stadium Commission offered the schools money to play in Jackson or not. But I think in 1990 both schools realized it would be better for both to move it back to campus.

The Vet used to have a LOT of big games for MSU, Ole Miss, and USM. It's just that over the years, it became more feasible to play on campus. In 1980, we played and defeated Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss all in a row at the Vet. Someone needs to put those games up on youtube for all of us. Those games just gradually stopped until all that was left was the Egg Bowl.

The same thing happened to Alabama- they used to play at Legion Field all the time. I'm actually a little surprised that Arkansas still plays at Little Rock to be honest with you.

Coach34
11-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Scott Field only held 35K or so until the 1990's...Vaught was about the same...Memorial held 60K, plus alot of the people going to the games were from central Miss anyway.

Our not having one of our two main Universities in the Capital city is just one more shining example of why Mississippi so damn stupid.

Schultzy
11-25-2013, 11:43 PM
The urban legend is fans got tired of their hub caps being stolen.

Seriously, it simply came down to money. If we played the Egg Bowl in Jackson at the Vet this year, we would have to bus our team to Jackson, put them up in a hotel, and then we would be splitting the gate with Ole Miss. Starkville wouldn't get any money at all from the game either. It woudn't help recruiting either since any and all recruits would be watching a neutral site game.

Davis-Wade and Vaught-Hemingway used to be a lot smaller in the 80's and in the 70's and 80's it probably made sense at that time for both schools to play at a bigger stadium in the middle of the state where everyone would have an equal chance to go. I don't know if the Stadium Commission offered the schools money to play in Jackson or not. But I think in 1990 both schools realized it would be better for both to move it back to campus.

The Vet used to have a LOT of big games for MSU, Ole Miss, and USM. It's just that over the years, it became more feasible to play on campus. In 1980, we played and defeated Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss all in a row at the Vet. Someone needs to put those games up on youtube for all of us. Those games just gradually stopped until all that was left was the Egg Bowl.

The same thing happened to Alabama- they used to play at Legion Field all the time. I'm actually a little surprised that Arkansas still plays at Little Rock to be honest with you.

I was at all four of those games. The auburn game we stopped Joe Cribbs at the goal line to win 24-21 on forth down. Johnnie Cooks met him in mid air on fourth down at the goal line to save that game. It gets lost in MSU history because of the bama game a week later. We destroyed lsu a week before that on one of the first espn games ever on the following Saturday. Then we beat ole miss 19-14 after that. I loved those four weeks.

Coach34
11-25-2013, 11:49 PM
I was at all four of those games. The auburn game we stopped Joe Cribbs at the goal line to win 24-21 on forth down. Johnnie Cooks met him in mid air on fourth down at the goal line to save that game. It gets lost in MSU history because of the bama game a week later. We destroyed lsu a week before that on one of the first espn games ever on the following Saturday. Then we beat ole miss 19-14 after that. I loved those four weeks.

We didnt go to that Auburn game for some reason- but I was at the other three.

Schultzy
11-26-2013, 12:10 AM
We didnt go to that Auburn game for some reason- but I was at the other three.

Three outa four ain't bad..you've got old Jackson games cred in my book.

LeakyD
11-26-2013, 06:15 AM
JWS was the reason the Egg Bowl got moved to campus. He moved it his first year in 91 and OM followed. Maybe the 80's would've been better for us if the Egg Bowl would've been played on campus.

Jack Lambert
11-26-2013, 09:22 AM
I say except for Ely's senior year those stats don't mean anything since they moved the game from jackson. It can go either way however I give us the edge this year because, Senior night, Home Field cooking, Ole Miss comming off a big game with a lose, we need one more to get to a bowl game, one more win isn't going to make their bowl bid any bigger and Ole Miss is going to be thinking about getting out of there to go home to see the family.

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 09:51 AM
I don;t agree about OM thinking about getting out. I think they're going to be more fired up for this game than any other. Mullen has succeeded in amping the intensity of our rivalry. As long as neither team goes on a long period of domination, I suspect this will remain an intensely-heated rivalry for both sides.

barely
11-26-2013, 12:37 PM
I cant see OM not caring--Mullen and State rubbed their noses in it every chance they got---How do you explain "our state." Im hoping we are up for more to be able to go bowling--actually Im hoping that Prescott is ready to go and everyone but me knows that and is just keeping their mouths shut.

And not having a main university in the capital city is more of a refection of that city. If Jackson werent such a sh*thole, a major university would have been placed there and outpaced both state and om. If anything, Jackson represents nothing more than a great waste to good farming land.

Coach34
11-26-2013, 12:52 PM
And not having a main university in the capital city is more of a refection of that city. If Jackson werent such a sh*thole, a major university would have been placed there and outpaced both state and om. If anything, Jackson represents nothing more than a great waste to good farming land.

We're talking about a decision made in the 1870's. What was Starkville back then?

Ronny
11-26-2013, 04:08 PM
I cant see OM not caring--Mullen and State rubbed their noses in it every chance they got---How do you explain "our state." Im hoping we are up for more to be able to go bowling--actually Im hoping that Prescott is ready to go and everyone but me knows that and is just keeping their mouths shut.

I get sick of hearing a bunch of people who think Starkville is the Garden of Eden bash Jackson.

Jackson is far from perfect but at least it's not a ****ing garbage dump like Starkville.

There is a reason the national media picks on Starkville. They are seeing Starkville through an objective lens.