PDA

View Full Version : Buy or Sell?

chef dixon
10-05-2022, 08:56 AM
With the way the portal and CFB is set up now, aside from the elite of the elite (Bama w/ Saban, UGA w/ Kirby), we will be playing .500 ball with almost everyone else in the league for the foreseeable future? I can't recall there being so many toss up match ups on our schedule. You used to be able to predict it to a tee.

PikeDawg15
10-05-2022, 09:13 AM
I think coaching will mean more now than ever because
MSU
Arky
Ole miss
Kentucky
South Carolina
Mizzou

Will all have pretty much the same talent level.

Now a step above that will be auburn and Tennessee

Then above that Florida and LSU

Then Alabama , Georgia , and A&M

Oklahoma and Texas coming to the league will change up a lot .

Getting a schedule without bama and Georgia could be game changing

PikeDawg15
10-05-2022, 09:15 AM
I?m also not ready to put Kirby as the saban of the east.

Georgia ain?t bama. They don?t have that bama mindset ?. Yet

Coach34
10-05-2022, 09:48 AM
I?m also not ready to put Kirby as the saban of the east.

Georgia ain?t bama. They don?t have that bama mindset ?. Yet

Seriously?

Kirby is 63-10 since his 1st year at Georgia. 38-5 in the SEC. The worst they have finished in the polls is 7th. By season's end the worst he will be is 70-12
Saban's 6 years after his 1st at Bama had him 72-9

Johnson85
10-05-2022, 10:43 AM
Seriously?

Kirby is 63-10 since his 1st year at Georgia. 38-5 in the SEC. The worst they have finished in the polls is 7th. By season's end the worst he will be is 70-12

You know off hand how many non-bama teams are in those losses?

Also, what was Saban's early record against Meyer at UF?

The only diffrence between Saban and Kirby might be that Saban can handle the pressure of a rival whereas Urban couldn't.

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2022, 10:47 AM
With the way the portal and CFB is set up now, aside from the elite of the elite (Bama w/ Saban, UGA w/ Kirby), we will be playing .500 ball with almost everyone else in the league for the foreseeable future? I can't recall there being so many toss up match ups on our schedule. You used to be able to predict it to a tee.

Big time buy

the portal allows teams to fill holes on their roster by offering talented players immediate playing time or giving G5 players, that were overlooked out of HS, the opportunity. Thus very few SEC teams will have huge holes on their rosters.

Games will come down to:

1. Coaching
2. Team leadership that was developed through players developing on campus
3. Impact talent at the correct positions.
4. matchups.

TUSK
10-05-2022, 02:27 PM
Seriously?

I think there's a bit more to it than overall record, Coach. Saban walked in to a total dumpster fire at Bammer in 07 while Kirby took over a stable uber talented program at UGA in 16.

Additionally, the SECE is has been discernably weaker than the SECW during Kirby's run at UGA.

Note: I'm not sayin' that Kirby sucks, at all, just that he has had some advantages that Saban didn't...

Goldendawg
10-05-2022, 02:43 PM
I think there's a bit more to it than overall record, Coach. Saban walked in to a total dumpster fire at Bammer in 07 while Kirby took over a stable uber talented program at UGA in 16.

Additionally, the SECE is has been discernably weaker than the SECW during Kirby's run at UGA.

Note: I'm not sayin' that Kirby sucks, at all, just that he has had some advantages that Saban didn't...

Records of some East coaches are inflated due to playing in the East. Check out Stoops record against West opponents.

Coach34
10-05-2022, 03:01 PM

Saban did not walk into a dumpster fire. He walked into a Bama program that was not being maximized. Shula had won 10 games a year before he was fired
They had some talent but not top 10 talent. Saban certainly elevated them just as he did LSU.

Kirby walked into a stable program for sure and has elevated them to the next step. They are 100% the Bama of the East. We'll see in December and January if he has now matched Saban. Another title this year and beating of Bama would solidify that. Should Saban take him down again in the Title game then Saban remains alone at the top

Coach34
10-05-2022, 03:05 PM
Records of some East coaches are inflated due to playing in the East. Check out Stoops record against West opponents.

Kirby plays a little easier schedule each season- but he is beating West ass when he gets the chance. Saban had his number until January- we'll see how it goes this year

BrunswickDawg
10-05-2022, 03:06 PM

I wasn't a huge Kirby fan - I called him Ray Goff 2.0 his first season, but
West teams Kirby has lost to post-2016:
2021 Final poll #2 Bama in the SEC T
2020 National Champ Bama in Reg Season
2019 National Champ LSU in Reg Season
2018 Final Poll #6 LSU and NC Champ loser Bama in the SEC T
2017 Final Poll #10 Auburn and Bama in the NC Game

I think Kirby sort of had to learn the Saban lesson that in today's game, to beat elites, you have to have an effective QB who can win. Running Chubb and Michel 45 times a game hasn't worked the same over the past 2 decades against top tier talent.
Mark Richt never learned it and that's why he never achieved what he should have. And a whole lot of UGA fans haven't learned it either. They love that Natty, but they hate that its been 3 years since they had a 1000 yard rusher or 2 in the backfield. RBU is something they hold dear.

PGHBulldogBG
10-05-2022, 05:10 PM
Smart has certainly elevated himself to around Dabo and Meyer level, but he is going to need several more titles and several more times beating Saban until he can get on his level. That being said, both of them are miles ahead of anyone else in the west. I think Kelly is going to make LSU dangerous again and Heupel might finally have Tennessee back to a winning standard. I’m still not sold on Napier or Jimbo taking aTm or UF to the next level. Kiffin/Leach/Heupel/Stoops are next tier. I just hope Auburn doesn’t hire Clawson or Chadwell or they might shoot right to the top near UGA and Bama. I’m hoping for Freeze or Coach Prime

Leroy Jenkins
10-05-2022, 05:18 PM
*Jum Kramer voice* Buy, Buy, Buy!

Outside of a few other blue blood places, the rest of CFB is now the SEC farm system. Do you need a good DB? Just call one up.

TUSK
10-05-2022, 05:37 PM
Saban did not walk into a dumpster fire. He walked into a Bama program that was not being maximized. Shula had won 10 games a year before he was fired
They had some talent but not top 10 talent. Saban certainly elevated them just as he did LSU.

Kirby walked into a stable program for sure and has elevated them to the next step. They are 100% the Bama of the East. We'll see in December and January if he has now matched Saban. Another title this year and beating of Bama would solidify that. Should Saban take him down again in the Title game then Saban remains alone at the top

Perhaps "dumpster fire" was a lil strong, but it sure felt like one to me. The inmates were running the asylum. Bammer was 39-23 the 5 seasons prior to Saban coming (almost 5 losses per season on average) and he had to run several talented guys off (DJ Hall comes to mind).

The rest of your post is spot on...

TUSK
10-05-2022, 05:45 PM
Kirby plays a little easier schedule each season- but he is beating West ass when he gets the chance. Saban had his number until January- we'll see how it goes this year

Yep, in the time Kirby has been at UGA, these are the National Rankings by Winning Percentage Excluding 1 - Bammer & 5 - UGA):

15 - LSU & 24 - A&M
26 - Florida & 35 - UK
38 - AU & 66 - MSU
78 - UT & Mizzou
80 - Mississippi
87 - USCe
108 - Arkie
117 - Vandy

Average Ranking:
SECW - 55.17%
SECE - 70.17%

PikeDawg15
10-05-2022, 06:18 PM
Seriously?

Arkansas, Mississippi State, Ole Miss are a lot tougher than vanderbilt, mizzou, and south carolina.

Auburn, LSU, A&M is a lot tougher than kentucky, Tennessee, and Florida.

Quaoarsking
10-05-2022, 06:44 PM
Sell. We're going to be BETTER than .500 because we have one of the best coaches in the country, and in the medium and long run, the talent is going to be more equalized, not less. Also, the 3/6 rotating schedule will help everyone in the West rack up a few more wins per decade compared to the strong West/weak East dynamic we've seen in the last 15 or so years.

However, once Leach retires after breaking Jackie's wins record, who knows? We'll have to make a good hire again.

R2Dawg
10-05-2022, 07:24 PM
I think coaching will mean more now than ever because
MSU
Arky
Ole miss
Kentucky
South Carolina
Mizzou

Will all have pretty much the same talent level.

Now a step above that will be auburn and Tennessee

Then above that Florida and LSU

Then Alabama , Georgia , and A&M

Oklahoma and Texas coming to the league will change up a lot .

Getting a schedule without bama and Georgia could be game changing

I'm not sure Aub, UT or UF have more talent than us right now or anytime recently. Agree if we roll off UGA and Bama then we might could make a move.
I also don't think Mizzou, USC are at same level as we are either.

Schultzy
10-05-2022, 08:12 PM

Yep

Stoops is 0-11 versus the SEC West on the road in his tenure at Kentucky.

PikeDawg15
10-05-2022, 08:19 PM
Yep

Stoops is 0-11 versus the SEC West on the road in his tenure at Kentucky.

YEP

It angers me that Kentucky gets all this praise when currently their floor is about 7-5 because of their schedule being cupcakes.

They did smack LSU in Lexington last year but for the most part, Kentucky plays horrible away from lexington every year.

I think Kentucky is screwed because Tennessee is back and Florida will be back eventually because of how billy napier is recruiting and of course georgia. But when we eliminate conferences from the SEC, it will prove who is good and who is not.