PDA

View Full Version : If Leaches presser is any indication

Cowbell
10-04-2022, 12:00 PM
We may steamroll Arkansas Saturday. He was as pissed as I've ever noticed him on a mid season pressor. He didn't say anything crazy but his body language and overall demeanor tells me they did some butt chewing over film yesterday to bring everyone back down to earth. He even got pitched some softball off topic questions and he had zero interest in answering them. I like it!

Maverick91
10-04-2022, 12:08 PM
We may steamroll Arkansas Saturday. He was as pissed as I've ever noticed him on a mid season pressor. He didn't say anything crazy but his body language and overall demeanor tells me they did some butt chewing over film yesterday to bring everyone back down to earth. He even got pitched some softball off topic questions and he had zero interest in answering them. I like it!

Facts! I do think he wants to prove himself here and I am all for it!

MaroonFlounder
10-04-2022, 12:12 PM
O-Line is blocking well and I'd normally say RTGDF....but Ark run defense is better than A&M, although vulnerable against the pass.

Will needs to have his best day vs an SEC team in a W.

Feed RaRa.

Maverick91
10-04-2022, 12:13 PM
They actually build off of last week it could be really fun.

But again this team has to be focused and execute. Don?t drop balls that you should catch and no stupid penalties!

Catfish
10-04-2022, 12:16 PM
I kind of think we're going to run the ball more with over 100 yards again. Our O line is looking good.

BlackSailsDawg
10-04-2022, 12:47 PM
I kind of think we're going to run the ball more with over 100 yards again. Our O line is looking good.

I think we will see the rush 3 drop 8. It's their only hope to slow us in the passing game.

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2022, 12:49 PM

What if I told you that in arguably Leach's best season, his team averaged 24 carries and 118 yards a game , had 11 100 yard rushing games and went 10-1 in those games....

Cowbell
10-04-2022, 12:53 PM
What if I told you that in arguably Leach's best season, his team averaged 24 carries and 118 yards a game , had 11 100 yard rushing games and went 10-1 in those games....

In Leachs top 31 rushing games he is 26-5 as a HC

msu15
10-04-2022, 12:55 PM

Yep, with an experienced QB that knew when it was time to check to a run play when the box count was favorable to his formation. Will is almost at Graham's level when it comes to reading the defense even though Graham was like two years older in 2008 compared to where Will is now. If Will is our starter in 23(and dare I say 24?), look out.

Catfish
10-04-2022, 12:56 PM

Hey, I'm on your side. I definitely believe it. Maybe his o line is finally coming together to where we can run the ball more. I think he's wanted to since he got here.

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2022, 01:01 PM

At Texas Tech they had 4 200+ yard rushing games during a 4 year period. While the 144 yards Saturday might not be "normal" for Leach's Air Raid, it's not unusual either. At UK, the Air Raid averaged 30 carries and 115 yards a game. At TT, it was 24 carries and 89 yards a game and would have 5-6 100 yard games on average. TT had a 150+ yard rushing game every year but 2007.

TrapGame
10-04-2022, 01:03 PM
I believe Hadad said yesterday that run threat we showed Saturday just sent everybody's DC back to the planning room.

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2022, 01:09 PM
Hey, I'm on your side. I definitely believe it. Maybe his o line is finally coming together to where we can run the ball more. I think he's wanted to since he got here.

I get it. It is a combination of OL doing it right, Will making the right reads and checks, and frankly our WR and RB's understanding it all. After year 2 at TT what we saw Saturday was relatively common. It took to year 4 at Wazzou - but even then they didn't run as much because I don't think they ever had the type RB's to do it.

Commercecomet24
10-04-2022, 01:34 PM
I get it. It is a combination of OL doing it right, Will making the right reads and checks, and frankly our WR and RB's understanding it all. After year 2 at TT what we saw Saturday was relatively common. It took to year 4 at Wazzou - but even then they didn't run as much because I don't think they ever had the type RB's to do it.

Exactly and this is the reason you have to give coaches time to build a foundation and then make it work. It's become such a habit if it doesn't work by the end of the first season, coach is on the hot seat, if in season 2 there's only mild progress his seat is scorching hot and if only more mild progress in season 3, he's gone. There's a lot to be said for stability, now obviously if there's culture problems and off field issues, yeah let him go, but otherwise give it a chance. Imagine how many great coaches would've never amounted to anything if let go after the first couple of seasons. Heck even Saban at LSU had some struggles the first 2-3 years, Frank Beamer, Bobby Bowden the list goes on and on. People want instant gratifcation now instead of a steady build.

R2Dawg
10-04-2022, 01:38 PM

I think we could have added another win to total if we had run ball more in second half of LSU and won the game.

We are like 2nd in SEC in yard per carry. We can run the ball if we want to and be much better for it. As Mr. Miagi said must find balance Daniel son.

R2Dawg
10-04-2022, 01:40 PM
Something else on RB. I don't know if anyone remembers the play when TAMU blitzed and Dillon Johnson came across the backfield and blew up the blitzer about to sack Will. It was a thing of beauty and one of best plays of the game that no one saw or talked about.

With Will being a statue, this type play is so important.

TrapGame
10-04-2022, 01:42 PM
Something else on RB. I don't know if anyone remembers the play when TAMU blitzed and Dillon Johnson came across the backfield and blew up the blitzer about to sack Will. It was a thing of beauty and one of best plays of the game that no one saw or talked about.

Wasn't that a delayed blitz too? That was really impressive. Woody lit up a couple of blitzers too.

Johnson85
10-04-2022, 01:43 PM

This isn't entirely surprising. We did some good things obviously, but we had our fair share of avoidable mistakes. If A&M catches some very catchable balls and/or avoids some of their own stupid mistakes, that game would have looked a lot different.

R2Dawg
10-04-2022, 01:45 PM
Wasn't that a delayed blitz too? That was really impressive. Woody lit up a couple of blitzers too.

Yeah I think it was. It may have even been a stunt. Dillion saw it and blew it up. It was awesome. Will hit a big pass over the middle because of the play too.

R2Dawg
10-04-2022, 01:47 PM
This isn't entirely surprising. We did some good things obviously, but we had our fair share of avoidable mistakes. If A&M catches some very catchable balls and/or avoids some of their own stupid mistakes, that game would have looked a lot different.

Agree. Plenty of humility to be had in the game. Fans over react but we made plenty of mistakes as did TAMU. Like said before, no one plays a perfect game (excuse of execute better) but you gotta do things in every phase to give you an advantage to overcome mistakes. They happen. We did that by play calling and balanced run game.

Homedawg
10-04-2022, 01:54 PM

We might be the hell out of them, we might not. But if you take anything from a Leach press conference other than what kind of candy you might like, the toughest mascots, wedding advice or how to spend a day off, you're reading waaaaayyyyy to much into it.

R2Dawg
10-04-2022, 01:58 PM
We might be the hell out of them, we might not. But if you take anything from a Leach press conference other than what kind of candy you might like, the toughest mascots, wedding advice or how to spend a day off, you're reading waaaaayyyyy to much into it.

Ha, Ha. Very true.

Commercecomet24
10-04-2022, 02:06 PM

So true!

BulldogLarry
10-04-2022, 02:42 PM

What I hear you saying is that our $5MM coach is growing up? at 70

Percho
10-04-2022, 03:52 PM

Remember it well. Commented to my son and we went back and re watched.

Cowbell
10-04-2022, 08:59 PM

I disagree. You could tell the man was serious and you could tell he was tired of the praise for the players and it was time for them to move on and continue to improve. He had Sabans attitude. And I'm glad.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2022, 11:10 PM
Yeah we actually had a ton of mistakes that could have cost us, but created some timely turnovers that saved us.

- Way too many penalties
- Missed FG
- Ducking fumble
- Will had several very dangerous throws that should have been picked
- Receivers running free in the secondary (even Forbes picks, he was beaten on both routes. Just sayin)
- Achane had a big day on the ground (Lots of "bend don't break", which is not the worst thing)
- Ducking pushed off on the first TD (I like the way he uses his hands, but he got away with one)

So very happy with the win, but we definitely had Tons to improve on and for the coaches to chew ass about. Hope we can clean it all up, bc we won't be able to beat most teams in this league with that many penalties and miscues. Luckily the D had timely turnovers, and we had some receivers make some big plays. We won big, but left plenty to work on.

basedog
10-05-2022, 07:17 AM
Yeah we actually had a ton of mistakes that could have cost us, but created some timely turnovers that saved us.

- Way too many penalties
- Missed FG
- Ducking fumble
- Will had several very dangerous throws that should have been picked
- Receivers running free in the secondary (even Forbes picks, he was beaten on both routes. Just sayin)
- Achane had a big day on the ground (Lots of "bend don't break", which is not the worst thing)
- Ducking pushed off on the first TD (I like the way he uses his hands, but he got away with one)

So very happy with the win, but we definitely had Tons to improve on and for the coaches to chew ass about. Hope we can clean it all up, bc we won't be able to beat most teams in this league with that many penalties and miscues. Luckily the D had timely turnovers, and we had some receivers make some big plays. We won big, but left plenty to work on.

What you said is true, and it is evidence for Leach and coaches to point out and get ready to play the Hogs. We fans can get into the celebration with the as* beating we put on aTm!
I think the main reason we beat them was we were way more physical especially the second half. It was like our team realized we delivered a knock down punch and from that moment on went for a Knockout.
I hope we continue with this trend against te Hogs, I hope we start early and finish strong. I expect us to win something like 34-21.
Btw, the Aggies are so poorly coached, and their players seemed to give up, not a knock on our team as we made them give up!

Lord McBuckethead
10-05-2022, 01:29 PM
Young teams tend to give up when punched in the mouth. aTm just needs more time. I mean it is only Jimbo's 5th year. You have to wait until he gets his guys in there.

Bothrops
10-05-2022, 03:36 PM
Their strengths play into our weaknesses and vice versa. I think KJ will be fine.

FISHDAWG
10-05-2022, 04:06 PM

I could see the false starts pissing him off ... I know it did for me

Maverick91
10-05-2022, 05:04 PM
I could see the false starts pissing him off ... I know it did for me

Those where sooooo uncharacteristic for this year. But I think it was just that line getting glued together. Once they did in the second quarter it was pretty smoothed sailing.

Schultzy
10-05-2022, 07:40 PM
It’s what Leach does when he thinks he has a good team…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaOFTp5_C8

Catfish
10-05-2022, 07:53 PM
Dang, that was after a win too.

Commercecomet24
10-05-2022, 10:46 PM
People think Leach isn't competitive but that couldn't be further from the truth. The guy hates losing and he hates players who think they're entitled. I've known guys that played for him at Valdosta State, BYU and now I've got 2 guys that played for me at State. He hasn't changed and he expects hard work and he expects players to do their job. Don't be fooled by that goofy exterior he's driven to win.

The guy played 4 years of college rugby for heavens sake so you know he's tough.

Johnson85
10-06-2022, 08:46 AM
People think Leach isn't competitive but that couldn't be further from the truth. The guy hates losing and he hates players who think they're entitled. I've known guys that played for him at Valdosta State, BYU and now I've got 2 guys that played for me at State. He hasn't changed and he expects hard work and he expects players to do their job. Don't be fooled by that goofy exterior he's driven to win.

The guy played 4 years of college rugby for heavens sake so you know he's tough.

I'll never get where people got this idea from. He doesn't live for football the way Saban does, but very few coaches do. Most are like Mullen. They have a period (which may be as long as ten or even 15 years) where they are fired up and move up the ladder, and then when they lose the fire, they fall back to the pack as a head coach or lose their job depending on where they are and what the fanbase expectations are. But it's not that they're not competitive. They still want to win and still get pissed off, they just can't maintain peak form while no longer burning the candle from both ends while also reaching a point in their career where their key assistants are poached from them rather than moving up with them.

Leach is a more typical football coach. He loves it, but he doesn't live for it; he's just smart enough and good enough at his system that he can still be a good coach when he's not working 80 hours a week every week. And people somehow interpret that as not being competitive.

BrunswickDawg
10-06-2022, 09:03 AM
I'll never get where people got this idea from. He doesn't live for football the way Saban does, but very few coaches do. Most are like Mullen. They have a period (which may be as long as ten or even 15 years) where they are fired up and move up the ladder, and then when they lose the fire, they fall back to the pack as a head coach or lose their job depending on where they are and what the fanbase expectations are. But it's not that they're not competitive. They still want to win and still get pissed off, they just can't maintain peak form while no longer burning the candle from both ends while also reaching a point in their career where their key assistants are poached from them rather than moving up with them.

Leach is a more typical football coach. He loves it, but he doesn't live for it; he's just smart enough and good enough at his system that he can still be a good coach when he's not working 80 hours a week every week. And people somehow interpret that as not being competitive.

People think they "know" what a coach is like from a 5 second video of him standing on the sideline between plays. "He's not yelling like a mad man because the ref missed holding!!! FIRE HIM HE"S CLUELESS!!!"
You don't last as long as he has not being engaged and knowing your shit.

I also love the typical MSU bio-polar responses: Jackie Sherrill, called players by numbers cause he was so focused on winning he couldn't always remember names in press conferences = LEGEND; Mike Leach - says "one of our RB's is dinged up, so one of the other guys will need to step up = "Leach is a buffoon who can't remember players names!!! FIRE HIM HE's CLUELESS"

Catfish
10-06-2022, 09:29 AM
People think they "know" what a coach is like from a 5 second video of him standing on the sideline between plays. "He's not yelling like a mad man because the ref missed holding!!! FIRE HIM HE"S CLUELESS!!!"

I also love the typical MSU bio-polar responses: Jackie Sherrill, called players by numbers cause he was so focused on winning he couldn't always remember names in press conferences = LEGEND; Mike Leach - says "one of our RB's is dinged up, so one of the other guys will need to step up = "Leach is a buffoon who can't remember players names!!! FIRE HIM HE's CLUELESS"

Great post.

TrapGame
10-06-2022, 09:51 AM

Muschamp got fired up on the sideline and he was definitely a buffoon.

BrunswickDawg
10-06-2022, 10:30 AM
Muschamp got fired up on the sideline and he was definitely a buffoon.

https://media.tenor.com/JkJKSw9xDGQAAAAM/willmuschamp-muschamp.gif

basedog
10-06-2022, 10:46 AM
Leach is a good coach, more in the 6–8-win range which isn't bad at all. I think he is a smart man, coaching in the weak conferences before the Sec was the best thing he could have done. It's not a knock before you guys get your panties in a wad. LOL, he makes a little over 5 million per year, he takes time off away from football which I think is the reason he still coaches at 60 years old. I have no clue how many 60-year-old coaches there are in D1, but I bet it's less than 20% maybe 10%.

I don't dislike the Pirate, and as long as we are winning and going to a bowl I will be satisfied. But ever since message board were invented, me and all of us on ED are "chair-back" coaches. I think whether one is all in for the Pirate or not all we all are too sensitive to bash one another. It's the way it is in this society today.

Miss State 34-24 against the Hogs.

Maverick91
10-06-2022, 10:53 AM
https://media.tenor.com/JkJKSw9xDGQAAAAM/willmuschamp-muschamp.gif

I have always thought to myself I could never have played for that man. I will take a butt chewing if I screwed up on a play, but he never came across as chewing someone out to improve them it always came across as ?o good I get to ruin your day just cause.?