PDA

View Full Version : One final note on the MSU-TAMU Series (media folks please read)

BulldogBear
10-03-2022, 11:28 PM
Reminder: MSU leads series 9-7 (6-5) since Aggies came to SEC.

But almost any conversation outside the state of Mississippi you could just exchange Vandy for MSU and UGa for TAMU and the conversation would be word for word***(***on the asterisks)

When one school has beaten the other 6 out of the last 9 times they've played, lines suggesting the 3-6 team "tripped up" or that the 6-3 team "stole one" (calling out Phil Steele on that one) are really, really beginning to make those from whom those headlines, thoughts, and talking points come from look unintelligent or even foolish. Let me say it again. If you are a person in the media that says things like that about the series....yes, you look like an idiot that no one take seriously. I saw one person still saying A&M would go 9-3 and was the top threat to Bama if anyone else were to somehow win the West.

I am legitimately soliciting commentary here. Really from media folks. Why do you do this? Do you really think TAMU is not supposed to lose to the likes of MSU? Or have you not been paying attention for the last decade? We have a better football program than they do. Why do you think otherwise? You speak of Saturday's matchup like it was an upset. Vegas knew better. They don't always get it right, but they do a better job than those who "count stars."

Todd4State
10-04-2022, 12:25 AM
Our history screws us. And by history I mean the 50's and 60's.

We've been a consistent winner since Jackie took over really- outside of the 2000's because of probation. And then we have won consistently since Dan was our coach.

I think Leach as our coach will actually help because the media like him.

STATEBALLIN
10-04-2022, 07:04 AM
Our history screws us. And by history I mean the 50's and 60's.

We've been a consistent winner since Jackie took over really- outside of the 2000's because of probation. And then we have won consistently since Dan was our coach.

I think Leach as our coach will actually help because the media like him.

Unfortunately I think the 2000?s have a big influence on the 35-50 year old media.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2022, 07:36 AM
Unfortunately I think the 2000?s have a big influence on the 35-50 year old media.

It' was only like 6 years of bad football though. Odd how those 6 years shape the opinion of today's media.

Even SEC shorts yesterday threw a dig at MSU about possibly being a miracle to beat A&M. Even they aren't educated on it

BlackSailsDawg
10-04-2022, 08:46 AM
Reminder: MSU leads series 9-7 (6-5) since Aggies came to SEC.

But almost any conversation outside the state of Mississippi you could just exchange Vandy for MSU and UGa for TAMU and the conversation would be word for word***(***on the asterisks)

When one school has beaten the other 6 out of the last 9 times they've played, lines suggesting the 3-6 team "tripped up" or that the 6-3 team "stole one" (calling out Phil Steele on that one) are really, really beginning to make those from whom those headlines, thoughts, and talking points come from look unintelligent or even foolish. Let me say it again. If you are a person in the media that says things like that about the series....yes, you look like an idiot that no one take seriously. I saw one person still saying A&M would go 9-3 and was the top threat to Bama if anyone else were to somehow win the West.

I am legitimately soliciting commentary here. Really from media folks. Why do you do this? Do you really think TAMU is not supposed to lose to the likes of MSU? Or have you not been paying attention for the last decade? We have a better football program than they do. Why do you think otherwise? You speak of Saturday's matchup like it was an upset. Vegas knew better. They don't always get it right, but they do a better job than those who "count stars."

They did all but say it was an upset when we were the favorites! That should piss everybody off!

Captain Falcon
10-04-2022, 08:53 AM
It' was only like 6 years of bad football though. Odd how those 6 years shape the opinion of today's media.

Even SEC shorts yesterday threw a dig at MSU about possibly being a miracle to beat A&M. Even they aren't educated on it

It was essentially the whole decade. We went to one bowl game from 2001-2009. And it was a Liberty Bowl that no one outside our own fan base remembers. A lot of 3-8?s and 3-9?s and years where we just got destroyed by other teams in our division. Not to mention the bad OOC losses.

I do think some unfairly still see State as the Vandy of the West when that hasn?t really been the case for a long time.

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2022, 09:23 AM
It was essentially the whole decade. We went to one bowl game from 2001-2009. And it was a Liberty Bowl that no one outside our own fan base remembers. A lot of 3-8?s and 3-9?s and years where we just got destroyed by other teams in our division. Not to mention the bad OOC losses.

I do think some unfairly still see State as the Vandy of the West when that hasn?t really been the case for a long time.

I think a big part of it is that despite the improvement and the bowls, we have rarely finished the season as a ranked team. Jackie's teams only finished ranked 4 times - even though 9 teams were ranked at some point in the season. Mullen's teams finished ranked 3 times during 6 seasons of being ranked. Being ranked at the end of a season almost always leads to being ranked pre-season - and that pre-season buzz sets the impression in the media for how your season should progress.

TrapGame
10-04-2022, 09:26 AM

Croom set our football program back 20 years. It was a horrible, catastrophic hire. Hiring Jimbo and getting two years probation would have been much better. Even after Mullen rebuilt the program and took us to #1 we still get zero respect from the vast majority of the sports media.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2022, 09:43 AM
I think a big part of it is that despite the improvement and the bowls, we have rarely finished the season as a ranked team. Jackie's teams only finished ranked 4 times - even though 9 teams were ranked at some point in the season. Mullen's teams finished ranked 3 times during 6 seasons of being ranked. Being ranked at the end of a season almost always leads to being ranked pre-season - and that pre-season buzz sets the impression in the media for how your season should progress.

That's another media bias. We've consistently put a top 20 product on the field with the hardest schedule in the country. That leads to the media ranking crappy G5 teams over MSU

Johnson85
10-04-2022, 09:45 AM

It was almost a decade and even the decade after we were mostly just solid, not really good teams. I think fans in general would think more highly of us if we had mixed in several ten win seasons with several 4 wins seasons instead of just being consistently good but not great. Even in the one year we were legitimately a really good team, we still shit the bed at the end of the year because of losing our two safeties and our coaching staff checking out.

gtowndawg
10-04-2022, 09:53 AM
I don't recall where but there was a college football fan survey this summer about the 25 most recognized brands. We were #23 in the country. I think the average fan understands we're pretty good at football, not a blue blood, but pretty good.

edit: It was actually a recruit survey but still, I think most people get it: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-footballs-25-biggest-brands-in-2022-ranked-190591771/#190591771_2

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2022, 09:55 AM
I don't recall where but there was a college football fan survey this summer about the 25 most recognized brands. We were #23 in the country. I think the average fan understands we're pretty good at football, not a blue blood, but pretty good.

We are pretty good to people across the country.

This issue is elitist media from other SEC schools

Catfish
10-04-2022, 10:05 AM
We are pretty good to people across the country.

This issue is elitist media from other SEC schools

and ESPN.

ShotgunDawg
10-04-2022, 10:26 AM
and ESPN.

Correct.

To people that live outside of the rich people neighborhood, we live in the rich people neighborhood & have a really nice house. It even makes Southern Living.

To people that live inside the rich people neighborhood, we made our meh money from strip clubs & drug deals while they made theirs in more "legitimate ways"

Commercecomet24
10-04-2022, 10:33 AM

edit: It was actually a recruit survey but still, I think most people get it: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-footballs-25-biggest-brands-in-2022-ranked-190591771/#190591771_2

Yeah I've got a lot of friends on the west coast and in the southwest and we talk about cfb a lot and they know our program well. In fact most of them think we'd win the PAC12 if we were in it. Fans of cfb know who the better teams are, because they actually watch the games(just like I know how good North Dakota State is even though they're d2). The media is the problem because they want views and clicks and little ol' State don't give them those views and clicks like the bamas and ohio states of the world. Kind of like how the Yankees and Dodgers are always the first highlights they show on mlb programs and even though the Braves are champs their highlights are never first(unless playing one of the higher profile teams).

TrapGame
10-04-2022, 10:41 AM

In 2016 I was in line to see Wicked in NYC. Off duty NYPD were providing security. They saw me and a couple of the chaperones wearing State and OM gear. They knew just about as much about the SEC as we did. It was pretty eye opening. They loved watching SEC football.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-04-2022, 10:49 AM
Because the media is lazy. And they have an agenda, always. If I was as consistently bad at my job as the media, I wouldn't have a job. Most are incompetent and lazy. 99% of them are stupid. It's hard to find a profession with less accountability than the media.

Commercecomet24
10-04-2022, 10:52 AM
In 2016 I was in line to see Wicked in NYC. Off duty NYPD were providing security. They saw me and a couple of the chaperones wearing State and OM gear. They knew just about as much about the SEC as we did. It was pretty eye opening. They loved watching SEC football.

This is so true. Around the country people watch sec football because it's so competitive and tough. Football fans love real football and outside the nfl the sec is pretty much it.

Maverick91
10-04-2022, 12:07 PM
Because the media is lazy. And they have an agenda, always. If I was as consistently bad at my job as the media, I wouldn't have a job. Most are incompetent and lazy. 99% of them are stupid. It's hard to find a profession with less accountability than the media.

You made this to easy:

500 Bob for politicians.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-04-2022, 12:14 PM
You made this to easy:

500 Bob for politicians.

Good point. Politicians can do a terrible job and can keep the job for 4 years. Honestly, football coaches are in the same mix. Do a crappy job and get fired and you get paid the remainder of your contract. I prefer the world where you do a crappy job and get fired and you only get paid through the end of the 60 second discussion where you are told to box your stuff up and leave.

Schultzy
10-04-2022, 04:07 PM
We would need a decade of sustained high end success to even begin to get the kind of respect y’all are talking about.

Even then we wouldn’t achieve blue blood type respect so I stopped wishing for that years ago, it’s a much better approach to embrace the under the radar/underdog role than to waste time and energy craving some kind of respect.

Maverick91
10-04-2022, 05:24 PM
We would need a decade of sustained high end success to even begin to get the kind of respect y’all are talking about.

Even then we wouldn’t achieve blue blood type respect so I stopped wishing for that years ago, it’s a much better approach to embrace the under the radar/underdog role than to waste time and energy craving some kind of respect.

I will never hold that position or respect those in media that constantly give it to us. There is zero reasoning that the likes of pisserville U and Kentucky get more hype than we do. Especially over the last two decades.

R2Dawg
10-04-2022, 05:40 PM
I will never hold that position or respect those in media that constantly give it to us. There is zero reasoning that the likes of pisserville U and Kentucky get more hype than we do. Especially over the last two decades.

Exactly. We've had way more success than OM or UK in past 15 years but we get no recognition of the fact.

CaptainObvious
10-04-2022, 05:54 PM
Exactly. We've had way more success than OM or UK in past 15 years but we get no recognition of the fact.

But, But? the GROVE! And their overgrown Acorn Trees with roots 2 feet above the ground and no grass. Just a dang mud hole when it rains!!!

I cannot say too much about their chandeliers on their tailgate tents though. We have some elitist state fans that do that crap too!

starkvegasdawg
10-04-2022, 07:49 PM
UM cranks out the journalists and media type that fill these jobs. They also have a lot of influence in the area as all those shitwads are worried about is winning the press conference and appearances. They help force the narrative that they are the elite school because of their Klan Quarterly national championship they got back in 1943.