PDA

View Full Version : Successful weekend

msstate7
04-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Things I'd like to see going forward:

1. Someone or more step up outta bullpen. Fitts looks like he could be one. Id love for woodruff to get right so we could use pollo outta bullpen (wishful thinking).

2. Rea and ct continue hitting.

3. A dh step up. We get nothing out of the dh

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Id like to see renfroe be clutch. He tears the ball up when nobody is on. If anyone is on he isnt very effective.

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Things I'd like to see going forward:

1. Someone or more step up outta bullpen. Fitts looks like he could be one. Id love for woodruff to get right so we could use pollo outta bullpen (wishful thinking).

2. Rea and ct continue hitting.

3. A dh step up. We get nothing out of the dh

I agree with those points. I wouldn't mind seeing Slauter DH against lefties and Porter against righties when Slauter returns. I saw someone mention that in another thread, and I love that idea. Ammirati needs to be the permanent catcher. Never thought I would ever say that.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Id like to see renfroe be clutch. He tears the ball up when nobody is on. If anyone is on he isnt very effective.

Yes he does. I wonder how much is that he gets pitched so carefully when runners are on. Hunter really struggled period this weekend. If we wanna win series at vandy, hunter has to hit

Homedawg
04-20-2013, 07:44 PM

Wow. Just wow. The guy is leading the league it hitting, tied in hr and you say this. Just wow. I'd trade him if I were you. Oh well we are stuck w him I guess.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Wow. Just wow. The guy is leading the league it hitting, tied in hr and you say this. Just wow. I'd trade him if I were you. Oh well we are stuck w him I guess.

He wasn't bashing renfroe. Renfroe is much better hitter with no one on for whatever reason.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 07:52 PM

homedog. stop drinking and re-read what I wrote.

Coach34
04-20-2013, 08:18 PM
You can be a really good hitter but not hit well in certain situations

I was a .400+ hitter in HS
I batted about .280 in juco in 2 seasons

with the bases loaded? I batted about .100. I was terrible.

Homedawg
04-20-2013, 08:42 PM
homedog. stop drinking and re-read what I wrote.

I dot have to re-read anything, I read it right the first time. You said he hits good w no one on. Doesn't w people in scoring position. Thus my response. Has he hit a bunch of solo shots? Yea. So that means he can't he w runners on? That's non sense. Why don't you consider the fact that maybe he gets better pitches. Maybe he walks more w runners on. There are lots of factors involved and you are looking at it black and white. That's all.

Coach34
04-20-2013, 08:48 PM
they keep stats on what he hits with runners in scoring position- you'd have to look for it tho

Homedawg
04-20-2013, 09:00 PM
they keep stats on what he hits with runners in scoring position- you'd have to look for it tho

I thought this was the no sarcasm board? Ha. I get it. W/o looking I'd bet he has hit better w/ o runners on. But, he also gets way better pitches w/ o runners on too bc he can only drive in one. But he's don't that well. Here's the deal, we won 2 w/ o renfroe doing anything. Btw San Diego vp was here this weekend. Last weekend Yankees had 4 big brass there. He's a stud. A legit 5 tool guy, which is ultra rare.

Coach34
04-20-2013, 09:10 PM
He's a stud. A legit 5 tool guy, which is ultra rare.

no doubt about that...I think he has worked his way into the top 20- and maybe the top 15

msstate7
04-20-2013, 09:18 PM
no doubt about that...I think he has worked his way into the top 20- and maybe the top 15

MLB released their top 100 draft prospects this week. Hunter #96.
Cord #58

Homedawg
04-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Cord #58

That's comical considering cord doesn't have ONE projectable tool above a 55 per scouts. Yet hunter has all 5, 60 or better w his arm being an 80. Take Sandberg and he might or might not be a big leaguer but no chance at being a star. Renfroe, might or might not make the bigs and has a chance to be a star.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 09:30 PM
That's comical considering cord doesn't have ONE projectable tool above a 55 per scouts. Yet hunter has all 5, 60 or better w his arm being an 80. Take Sandberg and he might or might not be a big leaguer but no chance at being a star. Renfroe, might or might not make the bigs and has a chance to be a star.

Last I heard cord was hitting in the .250s against high school pitching. Those rankings seem off. If cord is that much better than hunter, he should go mlb although I hope we get him

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Homedog, why dont you look up how many times renfroe had runners on this weekend and how many hits he had. He had a ton of chances to knock in runs with guys in scoring position and he failed.

He knocks the shit out of it when nobody is on.

Edit - no shit he is a stud. He is a first rounder. Nobody said he wasnt.

Spider-Man
04-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Renfroe has 40+ RBIs, he hits with runners on base. He had a bad weekend though. Hopefully he has it out of his system and is ready to hit next week.

Homedawg
04-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Homedog, why dont you look up how many times renfroe had runners on this weekend and how many hits he had. He had a ton of chances to knock in runs with guys in scoring position and he failed.

He knocks the shit out of it when nobody is on.

Edit - no shit he is a stud. He is a first rounder. Nobody said he wasnt.

I get it you think he's a stud never said you didn't. Was kidding. However, he had one hit this weekend. Don't remember if there was a runner on or not. Point is he had a bad weekend and weekend prior we had no one on when he came to the plate. He didn't get to second in the league in rbis by hitting solo shots.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 10:06 PM
he leads the lead in batting avg, slugging and doubles.... tied in home runs, yet he trails RBIs by almost 20.

My opinion is that he hits much better when nobody is on than when it counts. Yours is opposite. No big deal.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 10:13 PM
he leads the lead in batting avg, slugging and doubles.... tied in home runs, yet he trails RBIs by almost 20.

My opinion is that he hits much better when nobody is on than when it counts. Yours is opposite. No big deal.

While I agree with you that hunter struggles some with runners on, the difference in rbi's can be an indictment against ct hitting 2nd for so long. Hunter also missed some games.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 10:16 PM
that is true.

Coach34
04-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Last I heard cord was hitting in the .250s against high school pitching. Those rankings seem off. If cord is that much better than hunter, he should go mlb although I hope we get him

Renfroe wont last past Pick #20- I promise you that. Cord will still be there in Round 2

Homedawg
04-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Another factor in Katz vs renfroe in rbi's just might be the fact that Katz has the second leading hitter In the league batting before him, to go along w rhymes who almost hit 500 last year and has a 420 obp. Easy to drive in runs when people are on base as much as those guys.

Homedawg
04-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Renfroe wont last past Pick #20- I promise you that. Cord will still be there in Round 2

Coach this is dead on and whoever takes cord before rd 5 is taking a stretch based on the numbers I saw and state above. I've never seen the guy, I don't know but if the projections were correct, you don't waste a top 3 rd pick on a hs avg pro. And that's what his projections are in the draft clip I read.

Coach34
04-20-2013, 10:47 PM
The only thing that could drop Renfroe is him being an OF'er- and that could push him back to 25, 27, 29...but I dont see him going any later than that. Thats also the same thing that will keep Cord from being plucked very high as well. I think Cord will still be there by round 3

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 10:55 PM
well detz is 4th in OBP in our conf....however, his hitting, much like CT and Fraziers, has dive bombed the past 4 weeks.

Coach34
04-20-2013, 10:56 PM
http://www.85percentsports.com/2013/04/16/2013-mlb-mock-draft-version-1-0/

here's one that has Renfroe @ 46....very surprising to me...I dont see any way he lasts that long

No mention of Sandberg thru 73 picks

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 10:58 PM
http://www.85percentsports.com/2013/04/16/2013-mlb-mock-draft-version-1-0/

here's one that has Renfroe @ 46....very surprising to me...I dont see any way he lasts that long

No mention of Sandberg thru 73 picks

Kendall Rogers said last week on multiple occasions that Renfroe was without a doubt a top 15-20 pick in his mind right now. For what that's worth. Rogers watches a lot of baseball

engie
04-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Cord #58

Those rankings are widely, widely known as the worst out there...

I've been checking out(real) MLB draft message boards -- and that is the ESPN(recruiting) of the draft world... just useless. The guy isn't a scout nor does he have any real access beyond those of other sites...

Renfroe won't make it past pick #20 unless he falls apart at the end of the game...

Coach34
04-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Kendall Rogers said last week on multiple occasions that Renfroe was without a doubt a top 15-20 pick in his mind right now. For what that's worth. Rogers watches a lot of baseball

I agree- I dont see him lasting past pick 20...the baseball mocks have a much higher error rate than football and basketball

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 11:02 PM
renfroe is 5 tool. Throws it 100 mphs, hits for power and runs. He is top 20 pick or everyone in mlb is a moron. He is what Gms have wet dreams of

engie
04-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Here's a good accumulation of mocks:

http://bigleaguefutures.net/1/mlb-mock-draft-central-2013/

msstate7
04-20-2013, 11:17 PM
All of them I looked at had Phillip Ervin of samford going ahead of hunter. Can't remember him that well. Was Ervin that impressive earlier this year?

Will James
04-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Is there any talk of moving Renfroe back behind the plate? Or is he fully an OF moving forward? I suspect at C his value would go way up.

Homedawg
04-21-2013, 08:49 AM
renfroe is 5 tool. Throws it 100 mphs, hits for power and runs. He is top 20 pick or everyone in mlb is a moron. He is what Gms have wet dreams of

^this. For sure.

slickdawg
04-21-2013, 11:05 AM
It's not just Renfroe - for whatever reason, our team struggles with RISP, especially with the bases loaded. We don't earn runs in those situations. More often than not, it's errors by other teams when we score with the bases loaded. Wild pitch, passed ball, errant throws, whatever. The difference in us and LSU, they punish you when they get RISP, we don't.

On Hunter, when there is someone on base, teams pitch him extremely careful. They'd rather walk him than give him a chance to score more than one.