PDA

View Full Version : Mike leach wedding advice

TheLostDawg
10-03-2022, 12:54 PM
https://www.outkick.com/mike-leach-mississippi-state-football-wedding-advice-alyssa-lang-video/

Offshore Dawg
10-03-2022, 02:52 PM
cheaper to rent that stuff than to own it !!

dawgday166
10-03-2022, 03:06 PM
How appropos.

My sister is getting married this coming weekend. She lives in Fayetteville, AR coincidentally, very close to the University. We both went to MSU but she did some graduate work at Arky. So I have to travel there this weekend to attend the wedding. When she 1st kinda sprung it on me I asked her why she didn't just elope. Nope ... not happening. Ok ... got it.

She's 57. Got 3 grown kids and grandkids. And she's kinda acting like the 9th grader who just started dating the Sr. HS QB. She's all giddy and the wedding has gotten pretty big actually and now ... she's asked me to give her away. Ugh ... I just wanna show up, be as incognito in the background as possible, eat, visit, hug her and shake his hand, and get out of there LOL. And I'm gonna miss the last part of the game dammit.

What the hell is it with women and weddings SMDH.

ETA: I can understand the "big" wedding with younger ladies and the 1st time they're getting married, etc. And I am very, very happy for her now. This wedding has sure grown IMO tho for her age and situation.

EdwardDrayton
10-03-2022, 06:43 PM
Think Mike is happily married for a long time and truly respect that as I just celebrated 35 years with my lovely wife. But think The Pirate would be a popular chap strolling down the campus Flatbush Avenue.

Commercecomet24
10-03-2022, 07:06 PM
Think Mike is happily married for a long time and truly respect that as I just celebrated 35 years with my lovely wife. But think The Pirate would be a popular chap strolling down the campus Flatbush Avenue.

35 great years for me too!

iPat09
10-03-2022, 07:12 PM
I just got married last year. We're both mid 30s and it's the first marriage for each of us. All we planned was a small reception because she wanted to go to the courthouse and put the money we would have spent towards something else. I said ok, let's go!

Commercecomet24
10-03-2022, 07:13 PM
I just got married last year. We're both mid 30s and it's the first marriage for each of us. All we planned was a small reception because she wanted to go to the courthouse and put the money we would have spent towards something else. I said ok, let's go!

You better hang onto her man! She's a smart lady! Hope you're doing well brother!

TUSK
10-03-2022, 07:22 PM
cheaper to rent that stuff than to own it !!

as they say: "If it flies, floats, or f****, rent it..."

starkvegasdawg
10-03-2022, 07:31 PM
Just passed the 17 year mark back in June. Doesn't seem like we've been married that long, but at the same time it's hard to remember when we weren't married.

State82
10-03-2022, 07:35 PM

Superlative advice.

EdwardDrayton
10-03-2022, 07:56 PM
35 great years for me too!

Congrats 24!!!

EdwardDrayton
10-03-2022, 07:57 PM
Just passed the 17 year mark back in June. Doesn't seem like we've been married that long, but at the same time it's hard to remember when we weren't married.

Well said Vegas! Congrats!!

EdwardDrayton
10-03-2022, 07:59 PM

Wishing for you many years together iPat! Blessings!!

BrunswickDawg
10-03-2022, 08:49 PM
My grandparents eloped, were married 52 years. My parents knew each other for 6 weeks, eloped, and have been together since 1968.

I wanted to elope, but my wife wanted a "small" wedding. I told her it was impossible - I was related to half of North Georgia and my Mom would turn it into an exercise in etiquette and junior league revenge, and she wouldn't listen. After our "small" wedding of 275 people we arrived at the B&B near Asheville, she collapses on the bed and said "my god, if I'd known this is what it would be like we should have just eloped". SMDH. Kept her anyway, for 26 years.

Catfish
10-03-2022, 08:59 PM
Bunch of rookies, 46 strong years.

Commercecomet24
10-03-2022, 09:14 PM
Congrats 24!!!

Thanks brother! Congrats to you too!

Commercecomet24
10-03-2022, 09:14 PM

Awesome! Congrats!

parabrave
10-03-2022, 10:36 PM

Heck Just rent out the back 40 at TUSK Compound. He might even supply the refreshments. 57, kids and grandkids call for Fri afternoon at the JP office.

Todd4State
10-03-2022, 10:48 PM
How appropos.

My sister is getting married this coming weekend. She lives in Fayetteville, AR coincidentally, very close to the University. We both went to MSU but she did some graduate work at Arky. So I have to travel there this weekend to attend the wedding. When she 1st kinda sprung it on me I asked her why she didn't just elope. Nope ... not happening. Ok ... got it.

She's 57. Got 3 grown kids and grandkids. And she's kinda acting like the 9th grader who just started dating the Sr. HS QB. She's all giddy and the wedding has gotten pretty big actually and now ... she's asked me to give her away. Ugh ... I just wanna show up, be as incognito in the background as possible, eat, visit, hug her and shake his hand, and get out of there LOL. And I'm gonna miss the last part of the game dammit.

What the hell is it with women and weddings SMDH.

ETA: I can understand the "big" wedding with younger ladies and the 1st time they're getting married, etc. And I am very, very happy for her now. This wedding has sure grown IMO tho for her age and situation.

Weddings are basically like our 1999 football season for women.

I'm glad I waited until I was older to get married- assuming I don't elope. My girlfriend says she wants to have a wedding and that's cool but I highly doubt it will be a big one. I'd much rather save as much money as possible and go all out on a honeymoon.

dawgday166
10-04-2022, 12:08 AM
Weddings are basically like our 1999 football season for women.

I'm glad I waited until I was older to get married- assuming I don't elope. My girlfriend says she wants to have a wedding and that's cool but I highly doubt it will be a big one. I'd much rather save as much money as possible and go all out on a honeymoon.

Yeah I know.. and I get it. I'm just thinking that at her age it could be a little bit more low-key. However, she goes to church with him at the same church so it's kind of turned into a big church event. I'm okay with that but I didn't necessarily want to be in it LOL.

My wife and I had a party the week before for friends and family and then eloped to Gatlinburg the next weekend for a week.

EdwardDrayton
10-04-2022, 03:23 AM

That is awesome Cat!!!

Extendedcab
10-04-2022, 09:52 AM
Trying to catchup with Catfish - 39.5 years and counting!!! Seems like only yesterday!

TrapGame
10-04-2022, 10:33 AM
25 years for me and the Mrs.

Our wedding was a simple country church with some friends and family. And then the reception was at the Holmes House on the Goodman campus.

The wedding pics took so long by the time we got to the reception most of my German chocolate groom's cake was devoured. Bastards.

Commercecomet24
10-04-2022, 10:40 AM
25 years for me and the Mrs.

Our wedding was a simple country church with some friends and family. And then the reception was at the Holmes House on the Goodman campus.

The wedding pics took so long by the time we got to the reception most of my German chocolate groom's cake was devoured. Bastards.

Congrats and pictures are the worst part of any family function(and especially if you got the brother in law who thinks he's some kind of expert photog) and I'm always caught making goofy faces when they're taken, even in some of my wedding pics!

Johnson85
10-04-2022, 11:25 AM

It's amazing to me how few people understand this. We had a "small, low key" wedding for our group and between the wedding and rehearsal dinner, probably spent $30k. That could easily have been $300k for us right now if we had used it for investments instead of a party. Granted we happened to have a really good investment opportunity not long after so it's not like that's necessarily a reasonable expectation, but most people would never spend $30k on a party in their 40's, but think nothing of doing that or more when they are getting married. It's somewhat insane.

BrunswickDawg
10-04-2022, 11:48 AM
It's amazing to me how few people understand this. We had a "small, low key" wedding for our group and between the wedding and rehearsal dinner, probably spent $30k. That could easily have been $300k for us right now if we had used it for investments instead of a party. Granted we happened to have a really good investment opportunity not long after so it's not like that's necessarily a reasonable expectation, but most people would never spend $30k on a party in their 40's, but think nothing of doing that or more when they are getting married. It's somewhat insane.

Yeah, it's hard, "traditions" and such. My daughter got married in June '21. I'll hand it to her, she really did keep it smallish with only about 50 people. And living in a resort/destination where I have a lot of favors I could cash in to save on venue, catering, etc, we still dropped $10k. I offered her and her fianc? cash outright. But when your daughter says she wants to get married on the front steps of a house museum you helped restore, you kinda have to say yes.

Johnson85
10-04-2022, 02:25 PM
Yeah, it's hard, "traditions" and such. My daughter got married in June '21. I'll hand it to her, she really did keep it smallish with only about 50 people. And living in a resort/destination where I have a lot of favors I could cash in to save on venue, catering, etc, we still dropped $10k. I offered her and her fianc? cash outright. But when your daughter says she wants to get married on the front steps of a house museum you helped restore, you kinda have to say yes.

Yea, I'm sure we'll end up doing the same thing for children when the time comes (I can't imagine we'll do as well as you did, particularly in a resort area). But I'm going to at least make them watch me do a calculation of what the money will get them in 10, 20, and 30 years.

Be interesting to know what percentage of people would trade out their wedding in hindsight in exchange for having he money invested for them. Even assuming we'd have been too scared to put any more money into the one good investment we've ever made, we'd still have around $100k right now if we had dropped that money into an S&P 500 fund instead of a wedding and rehearsal dinner. I'm pretty sure my wife would make that tradeoff in a heartbeat right now. Granted, if we had done that she might be regretting that she never had a wedding.

I can't imagine what people feel like when they drop big money on the wedding and the marriage doesn't even last.

Catfish
10-04-2022, 02:43 PM
The first mistake we're making is 'trying to think like a woman.' I do think their wedding has been embedded in them since they were little. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it means more to them than money.

TrapGame
10-04-2022, 02:45 PM
The first mistake we're making is 'trying to think like a woman.' I do think wedding has been embedded in them since they were little. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it means more to them than money.

Yep, my wife's father walking her down the aisle was a MAJOR thing to her. There's no way she would have traded that for a justice of the peace.

Catfish
10-04-2022, 02:49 PM
Yep, my wife's father walking her down the aisle was a MAJOR thing to her. There's no way she would have traded that for a justice of the peace.

Exactly, and I think and hope that everyone goes into it hoping and thinking it's forever.

Johnson85
10-04-2022, 02:54 PM

Well, the actual wedding typically isn't very expensive. Especially if you're already in a good church that views marriage as a sacrament and not a potential money maker for them.

It's the rehearsal dinner and reception where people usually drop money. And what's crazy is they usually still aren't parties that people are excited for. Even wedding receptiosn I've been to that have ended up being fun, most people are still bitching about having to wear a suit or tux in hot weather right up until they get two or three drinks in.