PDA

View Full Version : Shout-out to CML

Cowbell
10-01-2022, 08:05 PM
I've been calling this offensive scheme out since season 1 like several others. I have had hopes that Leach would adapt and until today, I hadn't seen much substantial change. Today, though, was different. Those two-back sets and making the offensive line assert their will until the aggies decided to put more men in the box worked to perfection. I loved it. That's how you play football in this league with Mississippi boys. It was a wonderful game plan that absolutely exposed their defense.

We also finally played a complete game in all three phases. That blocked punt for a score brought back memories of Jacky and those great special teams units. Proud of our coaches and players today and have hopes for the future of this season.

And another thing. I'm so glad Will Rogers is on our team and representing us. He has big days ahead.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2022, 08:06 PM
We go as our OL goes.

If our OL is picking up whatever is being thrown at them, the offense & thus the team will likely roll.

We only really seem to struggle vs teams with top end pass rushers.

Vandownbytheriver
10-01-2022, 08:09 PM
I said it in an earlier thread, when we are clicking we look like we can beat anyone. When we aren't, we look like a JV high school team. There's no middle ground. It's either scorched earth or draught. I don't think there's a game left on the schedule we can't win or lose. That's how crazy it is.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2022, 08:15 PM
The changes in the ol the last 2 weeks have made a huge difference in pass pro and run game.

Cowbell
10-01-2022, 08:17 PM
The changes in the ol the last 2 weeks have made a huge difference in pass pro and run game.

Yes I agree there. But we also made some much needed scheme tweaks to allow our offensive line to have the upper hand. Like running the ball until the defense couldn't just pin their ears back every play.

WSOPdawg
10-01-2022, 08:33 PM
Yes I agree there. But we also made some much needed scheme tweaks to allow our offensive line to have the upper hand. Like running the ball until the defense couldn't just pin their ears back every play.

And to think Dillon Johnson is getting almost 6 yards per carry. Love watching this guy run and play.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2022, 08:35 PM

Yes I agree with you on that too.

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2022, 08:39 PM

Thing is - I don't think Leach really has tweaked the O that much. Go look at his stats at Texas Tech - his best teams there averaged 20-25 runs a game and 100-125 rushing yards a game. But it took till the 3rd year before the run game started taking shape.

I think it just takes players getting in grained into the system and the QB calling the right checks.

EdwardDrayton
10-01-2022, 08:40 PM

This

Commercecomet24
10-01-2022, 08:41 PM
Thing is - I don't think Leach really has tweaked the O that much. Go look at his stats at Texas Tech - his best teams there averaged 20-25 runs a game and 100-125 rushing yards a game. But it took till the 3rd year before the run game started taking shape.

I think it just takes players getting in grained into the system and the QB calling the right checks.

Yeah this is true too. We've also been using Dillon Johnson as a blocking back on some of our run plays and he's been doing a great job.

DownwardDawg
10-01-2022, 08:43 PM
Play calling was great today!!

TrapGame
10-01-2022, 08:44 PM

This.

That 2008 Texas Tech team ran the ball a lot. Baron Batch was hell on the ground for Tech.

Coach34
10-01-2022, 08:55 PM
#RTGDF and good things happen

R2Dawg
10-01-2022, 09:01 PM
#RTGDF and good things happen

Yep, balance and not being too predictable or one dimensional can be a winning O. Showed some things today. We have the players to run the ball. No we won't run for 200 a game but we can do 100-150 like we showed today.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2022, 09:07 PM
Yep, balance and not being too predictable or one dimensional can be a winning O. Showed some things today. We have the players to run the ball. No we won't run for 200 a game but we can do 100-150 like we showed today.

Heck if we can run for 100 a game we're gonna be a handful. As you said just like today

HoopsDawg
10-01-2022, 09:09 PM
We go as our OL goes.

If our OL is picking up whatever is being thrown at them, the offense & thus the team will likely roll.

We only really seem to struggle vs teams with top end pass rushers.

Shout out to the blocking by Dillon Johnson and Marks too. They picked up blitzes and we didn't dump it down to them 20 times like usual.

Credit to Leach or whoever for moving Justin Robinson from 3rd string X to 1st string Z. Guys a talent.

TrapGame
10-01-2022, 09:12 PM
Heck if we can run for 100 a game we're gonna be a handful. As you said just like today

Exactly!

That strike to Rara for that 70 yard TD was b/c the A&M defense was looking for a run. The safety on that side was up to stop the run.

Catfish
10-01-2022, 09:17 PM
Shout out to the blocking by Dillon Johnson and Marks too. They picked up blitzes and we didn't dump it down to them 20 times like usual.

Credit to Leach or whoever for moving Justin Robinson from 3rd string X to 1st string Z. Guys a talent.

Good call. Robinson had a heck of a game.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2022, 09:27 PM

Great post all the way around! Robinson can be a difference maker.

Maroonthirteen
10-01-2022, 09:37 PM
That middle screen play to the RB was beautiful. Not sure I've seen that this year.

Cowbell
10-01-2022, 11:03 PM
That middle screen play to the RB was beautiful. Not sure I've seen that this year.

This is exactly the tweaks I asked for two weeks ago. We used the DL speed against them. Our oline has to have pressure taken off of them from being bull-rushed every play. There were lots of subtle tweaks made today that would have helped us vs. LSU.

BlackSailsDawg
10-01-2022, 11:12 PM
This is exactly the tweaks I asked for two weeks ago. We used the DL speed against them. Our oline has to have pressure taken off of them from being bull-rushed every play. There were lots of subtle tweaks made today that would have helped us vs. LSU.

Well I'm glad CML listened to you

TaleofTwoDogs
10-01-2022, 11:54 PM
This was our most physical game I've seen in a long, long time. Does this ole timer good to see physical football again. If we can maintain that level of play and cut down on the penalties we can win out this season (well, ok, maybe not Bama).

parabrave
10-02-2022, 12:52 AM

This. And we were gashing them up the middle. This was noted on the SEC show. Do this against Arky and Will might set a single Game record.

Cowbell
10-02-2022, 05:59 AM
Well I'm glad CML listened to you

Buy the man a margarita and it goes a long way

chef dixon
10-02-2022, 07:21 AM
We caught some breaks early in the game that could have made us tight (their fumble on our 6 and their dropped pick 6). After that is was all state. Great job of not letting Achane break one. He made me nervous.

Catfish
10-02-2022, 07:50 AM
Their turnovers helped a lot, but we still would have won.

TrapGame
10-02-2022, 07:53 AM
Their turnovers helped a lot, but we still would have won.

That's sprinkles and a cherry on top of the sundae.

ilovetheoption
10-02-2022, 10:13 AM
Ahh, the classic "wildly successful Hall of Fame offensive football mind experiences continued success, but this time it can be attributed to him listening to a football message board poster who started at left guard for one year in high school" thread