PDA

View Full Version : One injury no one has talked about - Is Perkins healthy?

HancockCountyDog
11-25-2013, 05:09 PM
I hate to say this, but I hope he is out for the game and I feel terrible saying that, because he has been a great Bulldog, but Robinson is just so much better and not giving Mullen the option to run Perk instead of Robinson will be huge.

After the game I went to the woods and just got back in town, I said a week ago - Beat Arkansas and we will win the egg. So, guys this is happening.

engie
11-25-2013, 05:15 PM
I think Perkins is probably going to be out, but have not heard one way or another...

CJDAWG85
11-25-2013, 05:16 PM
They said Perkins was ok to come back in last weekend, but kept him out for precautionary reasons.

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Perkins made a terrific play on the TD he scored which is also when he got hurt. He is a dangerous receiver for a RB. I hope he's healthy so he can be used as receiver not as much as a RB.

gravedigger
11-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Press conference word is he will play

ED_Walk_On
11-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Is Perkins healthy?

We better hope not. I love Perk, but if he starts and plays the whole game, we don't stand a chance.

cbrunt29
11-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Mullen said in the press conference that
he would play Thursday

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 05:28 PM
We better hope not. I love Perk, but if he starts and plays the whole game, we don't stand a chance.

Perkins had 70 yards on 8 plays (6 carries 32 yds 2 catches 38 yds) and a touchdown vs Arkansas. Not wanting him to play is ****ing stupid.

Bothrops
11-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Perkins made a terrific play on the TD he scored which is also when he got hurt. He is a dangerous receiver for a RB. I hope he's healthy so he can be used as receiver not as much as a RB.

This^ Perkins has had some great plays against the cocksuckers, and has been a great playmaker for us since 2010. I hope he can play in the slot Thurs night, but I kinda doubt it.

Behrdawg
11-25-2013, 05:30 PM
JRob should be playing every down unless he needs a breather.

ED_Walk_On
11-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Perkins had 70 yards on 8 plays (6 carries 32 yds 2 catches 38 yds) and a touchdown vs Arkansas. Not wanting him to play is ****ing stupid.

It's not stupid if he runs like a puss and isn't even close to being the best back on the team. It's not stupid at all. Perkins kills us.

ED_Walk_On
11-25-2013, 05:42 PM

J Rob would have walked in the endzone standing up. Perk is the worst starting rb in the conference because he shouldn't be starting.

HancockCountyDog
11-25-2013, 05:46 PM

Im perfectly fine with Perk being a 3rd down and long back.

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 05:47 PM
It's not stupid if he runs like a puss and isn't even close to being the best back on the team. It's not stupid at all. Perkins kills us.

Ban this ****ing rebel troll

preachermatt83
11-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Perkins should never have more than 3-4 carries in a game. JROB should be starting with Griffin and Shump splitting about 12-14 carries and Perkins just as a change of pace 3-4 times a game. So... If we run the ball 35 times that would be approx. 16-18 carries a game. That would be perfect in my opinion. you do that and JROB will run for 100+ yards every game.

preachermatt83
11-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Ban this ****ing rebel troll

he may be a troll but truth be told State stands a better chance of winning without Perk.

chef dixon
11-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Perkins is one of the best pass-catching RB's in the conference. I agree he shouldn't get the bulk of carries, but we can't act like he isn't a good player. Ole Miss would kill to have him or any of our top 4 running backs.

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 05:57 PM
he may be a troll but truth be told State stands a better chance of winning without Perk.

Nobody is calling for Perkins to get the most carries. He is a weapon when used correctly though even if that's only 8-10 plays a game. MSU does not stand a better chance to win with Perkins never playing. That's an absurd statement.

hailmari
11-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Perkins is one of the best pass-catching RB's in the conference. I agree he shouldn't get the bulk of carries, but we can't act like he isn't a good player. Ole Miss would kill to have him or any of our top 4 running backs.

Exactly. It's not his fault that he's not ultilized correctly by Mullen. He's a legit weapon when he is, though.

quickstrike2
11-25-2013, 06:01 PM
I would rather he not play. I just do not trust Mullen enough to know that he should play JRob over Perkins. I would love for Perk to play and be used in the right role, but i just can't see it happening.

Bothrops
11-25-2013, 06:03 PM
JRob is our best TB right now, no doubt, but Perkins has a significant role in our offense. He scored a td Saturday and took a brutal hit doing it. If healthy enough he will score again Thurs.

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 06:06 PM
I would rather he not play. I just do not trust Mullen enough to know that he should play JRob over Perkins. I would love for Perk to play and be used in the right role, but i just can't see it happening.

So you want to punish Perkins on senior night in his last ever chance to play football for MSU at home vs Ole Miss because Dan is an idiot and can't figure out how to use him correctly?

smootness
11-25-2013, 06:12 PM
This thread is a freaking joke.

I hate when people say our fans suck, but they sure do try and prove it pretty often.

State82
11-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Exactly. It's not his fault that he's not ultilized correctly by Mullen. He's a legit weapon when he is, though.

Yes. He is a definite threat when put in the correct situations for his skill set. And that's how the staff needs to set him up, if they will. Regardless, we need all hands on deck Thursday with the coaches on top of their games. In preparation and in-game.

Todd4State
11-25-2013, 06:45 PM
If Williams is indeed going to start, it makes it even more critical that we play Robinson more.

Dawgface
11-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Nobody is calling for Perkins to get the most carries. He is a weapon when used correctly though even if that's only 8-10 plays a game. MSU does not stand a better chance to win with Perkins never playing. That's an absurd statement.

So you want to punish Perkins on senior night in his last ever chance to play football for MSU at home vs Ole Miss because Dan is an idiot and can't figure out how to use him correctly?

If Perkins is healthy, he will play the majority of the time. He won't be punished. But Robinson will be and so will our team as a result. It's a shame our coach can't see what we all are talking about, but thats the way it has been. No reason think it will change for this game.

CadaverDawg
11-25-2013, 07:12 PM

Agreed. When used in the passing game and in 3rd down situations, he is great to have. We are better with him...as long as it's not as an every down back. Saying you'd rather him be injured is an idiotic statement

Percho
11-25-2013, 07:38 PM
I would love to see two in the backfield with LP being one of them. Flare passes. Sneak him up the middle of the field for passes and an occasional run and also blocking.

OldFatDog
11-25-2013, 08:42 PM
This thread is a freaking joke.

I hate when people say our fans suck, but they sure do try and prove it pretty often.

^^ THIS ^^ Good ****ing Grief. I wish that about half of our fans would get hand cramps and not be able to type. Shit. Perkins has bust his ass for Mississippi State and fans sit behind keyboards talking shit about him three days before his last home game.

quickstrike2
11-25-2013, 09:01 PM

I don't want to punish Perkins. I do however want to win the the game, and think JRob gives us the better chance to win as a every down back, not Perkins. I don't give a damn about sending somebody off with cutesy senior night instead of winning.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Look at how fast Perkins was as a freshman. This video makes me think that the worst thing we ever did was to try and make him into an every down back. By making him bigger, we made him a tweener, to big to keep his speed, but not big enough to run inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENZ6AffGSGM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't want to punish Perkins. I do however want to win the the game, and think JRob gives us the better chance to win as a every down back, not Perkins. I don't give a damn about sending somebody off with cutesy senior night instead of winning.

Whose calling for Perkins to be an every down back? Nobody.

quickstrike2
11-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Whose calling for Perkins to be an every down back? Nobody.

Yeah, but my original point was that Mullen apparently does not know how to use him in the ideal role of playmaker, so JRob is the best bet.

Dawgface
11-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Look at how fast Perkins was as a freshman. This video makes me think that the worst thing we ever did was to try and make him into an every down back. By making him bigger, we made him a tweener, to big to keep his speed, but not big enough to run inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENZ6AffGSGM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yup, I sure wish we had that again. But most guys add some weight and muscle as they mature from a freshman to a senior. He was probably thinking that would help his chances at an NFL career.

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 10:23 AM
You guys quick to jump on anyone who would rather see JRob over Perk are missing the point entirely, despite the fact it's been pointed out more than once. Well, here goes again:

LP is an exlposive threat in the open field, a deadly weapon catching passes out of the backfield. But he has been ineffective running between the tackles. He is just not built for that. The shame is that Mullen has not recognized this. He far too often uses LP the wrong way. While that's not LP's fault, it is a simple fact that we stall drive after drive trying to force a square peg into a round hole with LP. That's Mullen's fault.

Those expressing a desire to not see LP available are simply doing it because they have seen time & again that Mullen will misuse him to the team's detriment. Nobody wishes the young man was injured. I'd bet almost all of us would love to see him play if Dan would use him correctly and make JRob the main RB for running plays.

Using LP as the sole running threat in a backfield with TR (and with TR he is the only real, consistent threat to run), makes it so much easier for the opposing defense. If they read or guess run, they can focus on LP. And with LP, he's not going to break tackles at the LOS. He can run around and by you, but he won't run through anybody. If anybody on the line gets an arm on him, he's going down, period.

Bottom line, if the fans believed Dan would use LP correctly, we'd probably all be for it, and realize the benefit. But history has shown us that Mullen will not use him mostly that way. Sadly, this means we have a chance to be overall more effective if LP is just not an option for Dan. Mullen can't run Perk between the tackles if LP is unavailable.

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Another thing. With TR apparently unwilling to throw the ball until our WR's are actually open from their break, it's easier for defenses to load-the-box versus us, as there is less need of help in the secondary. They can plug the holes and bring the heat on TR while he's still standing back there like the Statue Of Liberty.

If LP is given the ball, he is stuffed trying to run between the tackles, if LP does not get the ball, the defense just goes right on to TR, who will most likely still be standing there with the ball, waiting for a receiver to make his break.

Coach34
11-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Yeah, but my original point was that Mullen apparently does not know how to use him in the ideal role of playmaker, so JRob is the best bet.

Actually Mullen does know- as was told to me Sunday:

Mullen is rewarding one of the hardest workers on the team.
Perkins is a leader in the wieghtroom and is always on time.
Perkins practices hard
Perkins hardly ever misses an assignment
Perkins will play hurt

Sometimes what is best for the team is to reward those that do what is asked of them.

As a former coach myself- I cant argue with that

HancockCountyDog
11-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Perkins practices hard
Perkins will play hurt

Sometimes what is best for the team is to reward those that do what is asked of them.

The hardest worker on our basketball team was a 6'1" slow uncoordinated kid that couldn't shoot, couldn't defend, and couldn't go left. We played him in mop up time. He earned some playing time. He didn't get to start over players that were better than him, because the goal was to win games, not to have a civics lesson.

Now Perkins is clearly a talented RB, but he isn't better than JRob. Its not even a discussion at this point. If Mullen is teaching lesson at the expense of playing the better player, then that is just terrible.

ED_Walk_On
11-26-2013, 10:44 AM

My point is that over the last two years, Perkins hasn't been used correctly for a single, whole game. So when he plays, he hurts us. He gets too many carries and consistently doesn't get yardage that we should be getting. So why would it be any different this game? Well, it won't, which is why I don't want him to play. Being real doesn't make someone an ole miss fan. This site needs to realize that. I say these things because I care. I hope Perkins doesn't play because it gives us the best chance. Robinson is just as good out of the backfield anyway.

I understand that no one is calling for Perkins to get the bulk of the carries. But if he starts, he will get the bulk of the carries, which is a significant disadvantage to us winning the egg bowl, which is way more important than Perkins touching the ball on senior night.

quickstrike2
11-26-2013, 11:05 AM

Perkins practices hard
Perkins will play hurt

I agree with that in principle. Reward players but don't sacrifice winning at same time. Ideally i think the best thing would to be let JRob be the main back, and Perk get 8-10 touches. Give him a goal line carry or two to reward him, but to give him the entire game minus 3 carries that JRob typically gets is a little much.

ED_Walk_On
11-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Perkins practices hard
Perkins will play hurt

So what is best for the team is not playing the best players, but playing the ones that work the hardest? Is it best for the team to reward Perkins with the bulk of the carries and miss the bowl game and an extra month of practice? I say no and you do too. It would be different if it was debatable on whether or not he was the best back, but it's not even kinda close. It also wouldn't be as bad if Mullen would just sub his backs every couple of plays like every other team in the world, but he doesn't do that either. Even when he gets hurt, we only use one back.

War Machine Dawg
11-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Been saying this for 2 years now. Perk was perfect for a Percy Harvin "super athlete" role where he catches in the slot & out of the backfield and gets rushes on the jet sweep & to the outside. But now he doesn't have the same speed or quickness because of the way he's bulked up in a ridiculous effort to prove he's an every down back when he clearly isn't.

Dawg61
11-26-2013, 03:30 PM
My point is that over the last two years, Perkins hasn't been used correctly for a single, whole game. So when he plays, he hurts us. He gets too many carries and consistently doesn't get yardage that we should be getting. So why would it be any different this game? Well, it won't, which is why I don't want him to play. Being real doesn't make someone an ole miss fan. This site needs to realize that. I say these things because I care. I hope Perkins doesn't play because it gives us the best chance. Robinson is just as good out of the backfield anyway.

I understand that no one is calling for Perkins to get the bulk of the carries. But if he starts, he will get the bulk of the carries, which is a significant disadvantage to us winning the egg bowl, which is way more important than Perkins touching the ball on senior night.

I hear ya man. Sorry for asking for your banishment. It was only your 3rd post and you called Perkins a *****. He's one of my fav players on the team. It's not his fault Mullen can't see how he's most effective. Amazing we all can but Mullen can't. This is the shit that has me ready for Hud.

Coach34
11-26-2013, 03:32 PM
I certainly think JRob should get more of the load- and Perkins to be used more on 3rd down and such

preachermatt83
11-26-2013, 05:36 PM

Perkins practices hard
Perkins will play hurt

I can't disagree with this but reward him by using him right. Stop trying to force him into being a between the tackles guy.

Johnson85
11-26-2013, 06:46 PM

Perkins practices hard
Perkins will play hurt

It's not rewarding Perkins to put his weaknesses on display. If Robinson is actually a bad teammate and doesn't practice or lift weights hard, maybe you have to hold him out. But I had never heard that Robinson was a cancer in the locker room or anything. Making sure Perkins gets the ball where he can shine is plenty reward enough for his efforts. No reason to also include a half dozen runs up the middle that screw up the team and make him look bad.

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Particularly when Mullen himself has talked about how games typically turn on 1 or 2 crucial plays. When we run Perk between tackles, particularly when TR is QB, we are almost giving away those plays, often resulting in giving away a few drives per game. How can we expect to beat decent team if we're handicapping ourselves that much?

There is ZERO room for that in the SEC.

Dawg61
11-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Particularly when Mullen himself has talked about how games typically turn on 1 or 2 crucial plays. When we run Perk between tackles, particularly when TR is QB, we are almost giving away those plays, often resulting in giving away a few drives per game. How can we expect to beat decent team if we're handicapping ourselves that much?

There is ZERO room for that in the SEC.

Your posts have been greatly improved lately

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Your posts have been greatly improved lately

Yours haven't. You're still dumbassdawg61, the Black Bear troll.

preachermatt83
11-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Yours haven't. You're still dumbassdawg61, the Black Bear troll.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/220/149/Hey-Guys-Itis-an-Internet-Fight.jpg