PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Collins is out at Georgia Tech

PikeDawg15
09-25-2022, 05:32 PM
Georgia tech is looking for their new head coach.

viverlibre
09-25-2022, 05:35 PM
Freezus would be my first call. Doubt he'd take it.

Commercecomet24
09-25-2022, 05:37 PM
Not surprising. They were ranked in the bottom 5 of fbs teams. They were just plain terrible

BrunswickDawg
09-25-2022, 05:56 PM
Not surprising. They were ranked in the bottom 5 of fbs teams. They were just plain terrible

And they are $12 million in the red. Tech won't be able to hire a name. Ga State, Ga Southern, Kennesaw and Valdosta are all better run than Tech.

Commercecomet24
09-25-2022, 06:01 PM
And they are $12 million in the red. Tech won't be able to hire a name. Ga State, Ga Southern, Kennesaw and Valdosta are all better run than Tech.

Ouch.

PikeDawg15
09-25-2022, 06:13 PM

And the hot name for that job is Deion Sanders .

If I?m them , I?d offer Jeff Lebby .

Goldendawg
09-25-2022, 06:28 PM
Wonder how many times they and Tulane have regretted leaving the SEC, (and don't forget Sewanee). Read an article about GT leaving and they wanted some type signing limits as bama (my have times have not changed in some ways), would sign about 100 of the best players leaving slim pickings for them and others. The vote for a rule change vote was a tie, and bama broke the tie with their vote to to keep the status quo. I don't know why Tulane left.

Todd4State
09-25-2022, 07:02 PM
https://orangeandbluevictorious.weebly.com/road-to-atlanta-covering-sec-football/why-georgia-tech-left-the-sec

Interesting read. Apparently they left in part because they felt like they were too good to play us and Ole Miss. And then when they tried to come back in both Mississippi schools voted no.

was21
09-25-2022, 07:06 PM
Collins to OM as DC....bank it

Todd4State
09-25-2022, 07:17 PM

Let's hope! I would love to see 1A/1B bend and break go to Oxford.

PikeDawg15
09-25-2022, 07:18 PM

When Lane leaves hopefully they promote him to HC

Coach34
09-25-2022, 08:23 PM

Lame gonna stick with his guys. Wouldnt be surprised to see O back in Grenada Without the Lake with Kiffin in some capacity

Quaoarsking
09-25-2022, 08:38 PM
IF Mullen wants to get back into coaching, that's a very logical place for him to go. He'd win games there with little pressure, and being the, what, 10th most popular sports team in town would give him and his family a less stressful life.

Goldendawg
09-25-2022, 08:39 PM

Do they have enough depth to run the 1A/1B defense?* They were exposed by Tulsa that they can't stop the run again this year.

Goldendawg
09-25-2022, 08:44 PM
IF Mullen wants to get back into coaching, that's a very logical place for him to go. He'd win games there with little pressure, and being the, what, 10th most popular sports team in town would give him and his family a less stressful life.

I bet Atlanta has a bunch of Targets (some even stores instead of people.)**** Not sure Dan's ego would let him go to a program this pitiful.

Todd4State
09-25-2022, 09:17 PM

Isn't Georgia Tech more of an "academic" type school like a step below Vandy and Tulane?

FISHDAWG
09-25-2022, 10:01 PM
Isn't Georgia Tech more of an "academic" type school like a step below Vandy and Tulane?

They're definitely academic ... pretty good engineering school also... I'm not sure I would rank them below Vandy or Tulane

Quaoarsking
09-26-2022, 12:36 AM

It's a very good public school, but its USNWR ranking (and yes those are very questionable) is #44, putting it just below Wisconsin, Texas, and Illinois, and just above Georgia and Ohio State. So there's no academic reason that should be holding it back from having a good football program, just a lack of a real fanbase.

Offshore Dawg
09-26-2022, 12:08 PM
https://orangeandbluevictorious.weebly.com/road-to-atlanta-covering-sec-football/why-georgia-tech-left-the-sec

Interesting read. Apparently they left in part because they felt like they were too good to play us and Ole Miss. And then when they tried to come back in both Mississippi schools voted no.

Karma is a bitch !!!!! screw um.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2022, 12:31 PM
It's a very good public school, but its USNWR ranking (and yes those are very questionable) is #44, putting it just below Wisconsin, Texas, and Illinois, and just above Georgia and Ohio State. So there's no academic reason that should be holding it back from having a good football program, just a lack of a real fanbase.

Tech's lack of a fanbase is something they did to themselves. Both from a sports perspective and from a student body perspective. Leaving the SEC was all about Dodd's vanity - but being a bad independent team in the 1970's, and bad ACC team through most of the 1980s destroyed any chance at Gen X being fans. Especially with Vince and Erk down the road in Athens having songs written about the Junkyard Dawgs, winning SEC titles and a Natty. From an academic standpoint, Tech became an international school.
In 1979, 12,742 students were enrolled at GT. 7,130 from Georgia; 4,726 from other states, and 886 from outside the US. Last year they had 43,844 students (with only 17,447 of those undergrads). 14,226 students were from Ga; 17,942 from other states; and 11,676 from other countries. I get that they are an engineering/research oriented institute - and that's fine. But, you can't be shocked when you have created an alumni base over the past 40 years that has no interest in sports ball, going to see sports ball, or giving money for sports ball.

basedog
09-26-2022, 01:01 PM
Tech's lack of a fanbase is something they did to themselves. Both from a sports perspective and from a student body perspective. Leaving the SEC was all about Dodd's vanity - but being a bad independent team in the 1970's, and bad ACC team through most of the 1980s destroyed any chance at Gen X being fans. Especially with Vince and Erk down the road in Athens having songs written about the Junkyard Dawgs, winning SEC titles and a Natty. From an academic standpoint, Tech became an international school.
In 1979, 12,742 students were enrolled at GT. 7,130 from Georgia; 4,726 from other states, and 886 from outside the US. Last year they had 43,844 students (with only 17,447 of those undergrads). 14,226 students were from Ga; 17,942 from other states; and 11,676 from other countries. I get that they are an engineering/research oriented institute - and that's fine. But, you can't be shocked when you have created an alumni base over the past 40 years that has no interest in sports ball, going to see sports ball, or giving money for sports ball.

Good points and that is why I posted they are kind of stupid firing a Coach now, just play it out and save that $5 million or so. There fan base is real bad and could care less, If I was the AD/ Prez ituation I would concentrate on Basketball and baseball. Their football program is bad with "who cares fans".

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2022, 05:58 PM
Good points and that is why I posted they are kind of stupid firing a Coach now, just play it out and save that $5 million or so. There fan base is real bad and could care less, If I was the AD/ Prez ituation I would concentrate on Basketball and baseball. Their football program is bad with "who cares fans".

In general, I would agree about firing in season. I personally don't like it. Just like I don't like players going in the portal in season. But, I do understand why Tech did it. Collins had them convinced this was the year they made strides. And they sucked again. Meanwhile little brother Georgia Southern goes from 3-9 to 3-1 and is beating Nebraska. Ga State is a block down the street and looks more competitive even at 0-4 and is coming off an 8-5 season. They didn't even have football a decade ago and they have been to more bowls than Tech over the past 9 seasons. It's a desperation move for a dying program. RIP to the North Avenue Trade School.

PGHBulldogBG
09-26-2022, 06:04 PM
No matter how good or bad GT is I don?t want to play them. We seem to be cursed against them.

FISHDAWG
09-27-2022, 11:41 AM
In general, I would agree about firing in season. I personally don't like it. Just like I don't like players going in the portal in season. But, I do understand why Tech did it. Collins had them convinced this was the year they made strides. And they sucked again. Meanwhile little brother Georgia Southern goes from 3-9 to 3-1 and is beating Nebraska. Ga State is a block down the street and looks more competitive even at 0-4 and is coming off an 8-5 season. They didn't even have football a decade ago and they have been to more bowls than Tech over the past 9 seasons. It's a desperation move for a dying program. RIP to the North Avenue Trade School.

And they didn't even let Collins know they fired him ... they shot off a press release that afternoon and the next am Collins showed up for work ... not a good look or the classy way to go about letting him go