PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Mr October Edition

Coach34
09-25-2022, 10:56 AM
1. Finally my 1st day off in 3 weeks. Enjoyed a relaxing day of college football and Chinese food. Some good games on TV and some surprising outcomes.

2. One game that wasnt surprising was ours. We dominated from the kick and completely overmatched our opponent. 54 passes to 11 runs yesterday against a much inferior opponent (insert facepalm here). Dillon Johnson had what I think was the longest run of the Mike Leach Error when he went for 40 yesterday. We ran a little inside fold with the C and G on the Mike to spring him free. I run that as well against light boxes so I'm Air Raid also now. The pass to Price out of the backfield splitting the middle of the field was also a good one. Good throw and catch on what can be a tough route to complete at times.

3. 39/50 for 6 TD's. Great day against a bad team that has been bad on D all season. But Rogers made it work. Absolutely ridiculous that Robertson didnt get to play the last quarter and a half. The game was out of hand and it was a good time to get some guys in that never damn play. We should have seen our 3rd guy for at least 1 series yesterday. That's a great way to thin out that QB room after the season.

4. 2 more sacks allowed. In the overall scheme of things thats not really bad on 56 passing plays. But we are 10th in the SEC in sacks allowed and I expect us to drop in the month of October. We have played a pretty easy schedule the first 1/3 of the season. We did get guys some experience here thank goodness.

5. Had no idea their starting QB was going to be out or I would have put some cash on us. We made the backup's day pretty rough. Less than 3 ypc. 2 sacks with good pressure. Solid day.

6. One thing that's concerning is that we are middle of the pack SEC in long plays allowed and lower part of the SEC in chunk plays gained against our weak schedule. We still remain the Airbone and that is tough against good football teams. 7 & 7 in Total O and Total D. 6th in Scoring O and 8th in scoring D against a weak schedule. Something to watch as we enter October.

7. I told you guys Johnson becoming the A&M QB would make them better. He was better last night than he was his 1st game. Nothing flashy but he can make some throws. Didnt like seeing this before us but here we are. Should be a hard fought good football game. This is where Leach gets his chance to become Mr. October. Can we stop the run enough to force Johnson to beat us? Can we protect and avoid turnovers?

8. Auburn is so bad. That Auburn-Mizzou game wasnt 3-2 bad but it was gross. Mississippi is not too bad on the OL and they look good in the 1st half of games. But teams seem to figure out Dart in the 2nd half somewhat and start shutting them down. Mississippi is soft on the DL. They gonna get pushed around some in big games.

9. I love Tennessee's offense. Heup has those guys believing in Knoxville. They play hard and get after it. They still lack defensive talent tho. He better recruit that harder. Kentucky plays so conservative offensively. Levis looks great so far and is having a really good year- but Kentucky's run game is struggling. Great year for QB's in the SEC with Young, Levis, Jefferson, Hooker....could throw Daniels in there altho I'm not so sure his success will continue once the meat of their schedule starts. Rogers also gets his shot to be Mr. October so we'll see how the Airbone performs.

10. How about that 53 yard FG? Look at us with a legit FG kicker finally. We may get on a run of making XP's now. That's one of the brightest spots of the day yesterday.

HailState!! All Hail Mr October!!

EdwardDrayton
09-25-2022, 11:20 AM
1. Finally my 1st day off in 3 weeks. Enjoyed a relaxing day of college football and Chinese food. Some good games on TV and some surprising outcomes.

2. One game that wasnt surprising was ours. We dominated from the kick and completely overmatched our opponent. 54 passes to 11 runs yesterday against a much inferior opponent (insert facepalm here). Dillon Johnson had what I think was the longest run of the Mike Leach Error when he went for 40 yesterday. We ran a little inside fold with the C and G on the Mike to spring him free. I run that as well against light boxes so I'm Air Raid also now. The pass to Price out of the backfield splitting the middle of the field was also a good one. Good throw and catch on what can be a tough route to complete at times.

3. 39/50 for 6 TD's. Great day against a bad team that has been bad on D all season. But Rogers made it work. Absolutely ridiculous that Robertson didnt get to play the last quarter and a half. The game was out of hand and it was a good time to get some guys in that never damn play. We should have seen our 3rd guy for at least 1 series yesterday. That's a great way to thin out that QB room after the season.

4. 2 more sacks allowed. In the overall scheme of things thats not really bad on 56 passing plays. But we are 10th in the SEC in sacks allowed and I expect us to drop in the month of October. We have played a pretty easy schedule the first 1/3 of the season. We did get guys some experience here thank goodness.

5. Had no idea their starting QB was going to be out or I would have put some cash on us. We made the backup's day pretty rough. Less than 3 ypc. 2 sacks with good pressure. Solid day.

6. One thing that's concerning is that we are middle of the pack SEC in long plays allowed and lower part of the SEC in chunk plays gained against our weak schedule. We still remain the Airbone and that is tough against good football teams. 7 & 7 in Total O and Total D. 6th in Scoring O and 8th in scoring D against a weak schedule. Something to watch as we enter October.

7. I told you guys Johnson becoming the A&M QB would make them better. He was better last night than he was his 1st game. Nothing flashy but he can make some throws. Didnt like seeing this before us but here we are. Should be a hard fought good football game. This is where Leach gets his chance to become Mr. October. Can we stop the run enough to force Johnson to beat us? Can we protect and avoid turnovers?

8. Auburn is so bad. That Auburn-Mizzou game wasnt 3-2 bad but it was gross. Mississippi is not too bad on the OL and they look good in the 1st half of games. But teams seem to figure out Dart in the 2nd half somewhat and start shutting them down. Mississippi is soft on the DL. They gonna get pushed around some in big games.

9. I love Tennessee's offense. Heup has those guys believing in Knoxville. They play hard and get after it. They still lack defensive talent tho. He better recruit that harder. Kentucky plays so conservative offensively. Levis looks great so far and is having a really good year- but Kentucky's run game is struggling. Great year for QB's in the SEC with Young, Levis, Jefferson, Hooker....could throw Daniels in there altho I'm not so sure his success will continue once the meat of their schedule starts. Rogers also gets his shot to be Mr. October so we'll see how the Airbone performs.

10. How about that 53 yard FG? Look at us with a legit FG kicker finally. We may get on a run of making XP's now. That's one of the brightest spots of the day yesterday.

Well done Coach. Looking forward to October through one squinted eye?!! I hope to be happily surprised.

starkvegasdawg
09-25-2022, 11:30 AM
5. I only remember one sack but I'll take 2 and not argue. But I didn't see us getting a lot of pressure and that concerns me as we start playing teams with a pulse. What pressure we do get is when we send the house. I'm seeing almost no pressure with just our front 4. Against teams with a running qb that could allow large areas of green grass to run because our secondary is matched up one on one with their backs to the LOS.

Todd4State
09-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Our offensive line is better with Nick Jones at LT. I'd move Dollar Bill to RT and Kam Jones to LG.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2022, 11:56 AM
I don't think Johnson can beat us next week. Shut down the run & protect Will adequately & we'll beat A&M

HoopsDawg
09-25-2022, 12:14 PM
I don't think Johnson can beat us next week. Shut down the run & protect Will adequately & we'll beat A&M

A&M is comfortable playing with 3 down linemen. Durkin knows how to defend Leach. We won't be able to protect. Should be a fairly easy win for A&M.

Santiago
09-25-2022, 12:18 PM
Until yesterday, we had as difficult a schedule so far as many of the SEC teams.
I don't get why you are saying LSU is an easy team. They are 4 and 5 stars, 2 deep, with a really fast defense full of future NFL picks....and now being coached by a proven college winning coach everywhere he has been.

BlackSailsDawg
09-25-2022, 12:19 PM
A&M is comfortable playing with 3 down linemen. Durkin knows how to defend Leach. We won't be able to protect. Should be a fairly easy win for A&M.

LOL! OK!

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2022, 12:21 PM

I don't agree with any of this.

- vs OM last year we dropped 3 TDs passes on the same drive & missed a FG. Should've scored 31 at least.
- If A&M plays 3 down lineman, Will will have all day to throw. A&M doesn't have a Sam Williams type pass rusher or near the level of rushers that LSU has.
- A&M can't score enough for any game to be an easy win.

msu15
09-25-2022, 12:28 PM
Sawyer looked awful in his two drives. That kid won't start one game at MSU even if he sticks around and graduates from here.

basedog
09-25-2022, 12:33 PM
Regardless how the Aggies won yesterday, it helped them with confidence and believing more. I think if the Hogs would have won with FG it would have deflated the Aggies preparations getting ready to play us.
Gonna be a tough game, I think us playing at home helps but if we don’t play a complete game we will get beat. I like our chances but it’s a “could go either way game”.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2022, 12:36 PM
Agree. half the league this year is a pick-em vs each other. Gotta play well

HoopsDawg
09-25-2022, 12:38 PM

- vs OM last year we dropped 3 TDs passes on the same drive & missed a FG. Should've scored 31 at least.
- If A&M plays 3 down lineman, Will will have all day to throw. A&M doesn't have a Sam Williams type pass rusher or near the level of rushers that LSU has.

-We did drop passes on the same drive last year. We also dropped passes against LSU. We dropped 2 easy catches yesterday. Drops happen. Ole Miss dominated us last year. A&M has better defensive players than Ole Miss.
-Will never has all day to throw against good competition. So that's a weird statement
-A&M runs a plodding offense so they may not blow us out, but it will be an easy win.

Bdawg
09-25-2022, 12:43 PM

Protecting Will is the biggest factor going forward in every game. Pressure on the qb kills our O. Will has to see these blitzes better get the ball out quicker or check to something better. Our OL is just decent in my opinion so Will needs to speed up his clock a bit when pressure is coming. And our RBs can’t whiff picking up blitzes too.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2022, 12:45 PM
-We did drop passes on the same drive last year. We also dropped passes against LSU. We dropped 2 easy catches yesterday. Drops happen. Ole Miss dominated us last year. A&M has better defensive players than Ole Miss.
-Will never has all day to throw against good competition. So that's a weird statement
-A&M runs a plodding offense so they may not blow us out, but it will be an easy win.

You seem convinced we'll get blown out at home by a team that couldn't score vs App State, only scored 17 vs a bad Miami team, & only had 16 offensive points vs Arkansas. I can't change your opinion

HoopsDawg
09-25-2022, 12:47 PM
You seem convinced. I can't change your opinion

I'm usually spot on. Hopefully, this will be the rare occasion I'm wrong.

Bdawg
09-25-2022, 12:50 PM

If aTm does the drop 8 a lot, then we should be able to protect Will. Then I feel it will be on our receivers to not have many drops because I believe Will will be accurate with minimal pressure. If they get pressure with 3 DL, it s game over anyway. We must protect Will.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2022, 12:52 PM
A&M is 108th in the country in scoring offense & that includes a game where they only scored 31 Sam Houston St

Bdawg
09-25-2022, 12:52 PM

I think it will be a good game Hoops. Why so low after we beat them at their place last year? Durkin the reason? I thought we hurt ourselves against OM just as much as Durkin knows how to defend us.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2022, 12:54 PM
I think it will be a good game Hoops. Why so low after we beat them at their place last year? Durkin the reason?

Regardless of Durkin, if our defense just plays their normal game, we should only have to score 20-24 points to win.

Bdawg
09-25-2022, 12:55 PM
Regardless of Durkin, if our defense just plays their normal game, we should only have to score 20-24 points to win.

I agree but our O can’t leave them on the field to tire out like LSU

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2022, 12:58 PM
I agree but our O can’t leave them on the field to tire out like LSU

Agree with that.

HoopsDawg
09-25-2022, 01:00 PM
I think it will be a good game Hoops. Why so low after we beat them at their place last year? Durkin the reason? I thought we hurt ourselves against OM just as much as Durkin knows how to defend us.

Durkin and the loss of Charles Cross. Our tackles were really bad against LSU. I don't think they can hold up. Arkansas had success with the QB runs which of course we don't have.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2022, 01:01 PM
Durkin and the loss of Charles Cross. Our tackles were really bad against LSU. I don't think they can hold up. Arkansas had success with the QB runs which of course we don't have.

Our defense is better than Arkansas'

It should be a really good game. We'll have to play our best game of the year, to this point, to win but I feel we're completely capable

MSU is already favored by -1.5 & -2 on Draft Kings

R2Dawg
09-25-2022, 01:10 PM

The TAMU RB concerns me. I think he is the best back in the SEC. He has good vision, shifty, power and top speed. He is the total package and will be a hand full for our D to stop. Stop the TAMU run and I think we can win.

R2Dawg
09-25-2022, 01:15 PM
Our defense is better than Arkansas'

It should be a really good game. We'll have to play our best game of the year, to this point, to win but I feel we're completely capable

MSU is already favored by -1.5 & -2 on Draft Kings

That is an interesting line.

parabrave
09-25-2022, 01:21 PM

Thought you would be boarding up your house by now.

BlackSailsDawg
09-25-2022, 01:24 PM

- Ole Miss last year is not Ole Miss this year. Tulsa would have beaten them had Ole Miss not taken out their starting QB. That was the first game for the back up and they still almost beat Ole Miss.
- TAMU was beaten by this MSU team on the road. As shown today, we are better now than last year. As shown, TAMU is not.

- TAMU runs the football into the DL. That will never work against MSU's DL. That is where we are the strongest.

Our weakness is the extreme edges and we are starting to solve that issue.

HoopsDawg
09-25-2022, 01:25 PM
The TAMU RB concerns me. I think he is the best back in the SEC. He has good vision, shifty, power and top speed. He is the total package and will be a hand full for our D to stop. Stop the TAMU run and I think we can win.

Achane. He's an incredible back.

parabrave
09-25-2022, 01:25 PM
If aTm does the drop 8 a lot, then we should be able to protect Will. Then I feel it will be on our receivers to not have many drops because I believe Will will be accurate with minimal pressure. If they get pressure with 3 DL, it s game over anyway. We must protect Will.

I think Durkin has already watched the LSU game and is going to bull rush WR and either sack him and/or make him get flustered where he will throw behind the receivers or throw interceptions.

BlackSailsDawg
09-25-2022, 01:27 PM

The issue is where he runs. Daniels beat us because he stretched the field from left to right, the extreme edges. We don't have that issue against a straight up rushing attack.

BlackSailsDawg
09-25-2022, 01:28 PM

Yes and we allowed him 69 yards last year.

R2Dawg
09-25-2022, 01:35 PM
The issue is where he runs. Daniels beat us because he stretched the field from left to right, the extreme edges. We don't have that issue against a straight up rushing attack.

#6 showed he can run it anywhere on the field and be successful. I agree up the gut we are best. We don't have the speed to stop #6 with consistency off tackle. If we don't stop him before he gets going, our LB got one shot. If not, he is gashing us.

The TAMU passing game don't scare me but with MJ they are much better. The talent at TAMU has moved up a tick and you can see it.

Going to have to play well to win this game. We do have TAMU # thought and Jimbo knows it. He didn't go one second after game mentioning us and tough game coming up avenging the lass from last year.

Bdawg
09-25-2022, 01:45 PM

We can’t let Achane get the edge or our cbs better tackle really well.

Coach34
09-25-2022, 01:59 PM
Yes and we allowed him 69 yards last year.

That means nothing for this year

Offshore Dawg
09-25-2022, 02:00 PM

If the Dawgs loose it will be to this guy !!

Bdawg
09-25-2022, 02:07 PM
I think Durkin has already watched the LSU game and is going to bull rush WR and either sack him and/or make him get flustered where he will throw behind the receivers or throw interceptions.

Then our receivers need to beat man coverage quickly. Man is what we are supposed to be strongest against(not against LSU for some reason). Leach should be watching that film too and have something ready to counter.

BlackSailsDawg
09-25-2022, 02:11 PM
That means nothing for this year

So last year means nothing for every team out there right? Or just TAMU? Oh many people here are going to be upset with that. It's sorta like saying everybody else improves while we never do.

Maroonthirteen
09-25-2022, 02:27 PM
Regarding the pass v rush plays yesterday.... it looked to me. That State was working on the passing game. Particularly on WR screen play.

We ran a WR screen early. It was almost a pick 6. Then soon after, we ran it again and was tackled for a loss. Our WR blocking on those plays were poor. It seems we ran it many times yesterday to just work on blocking.

R2Dawg
09-25-2022, 03:01 PM
So last year means nothing for every team out there right? Or just TAMU? Oh many people here are going to be upset with that. It's sorta like saying everybody else improves while we never do.

Some teams get better and some get worse. Happens to every team. Every team don't get better every year. Seems like jury still out on us. We ain't done nothing we were not supposed to do but lose to LSU. Time to show up the next 3 weeks will determine our season.

FISHDAWG
09-25-2022, 04:05 PM
Sawyer looked awful in his two drives. That kid won't start one game at MSU even if he sticks around and graduates from here.

I agree he didn't look good but it was his first in game experience... Tyler Russell , Dak, and Will all improved with experience... way to early to pass judgment here

FISHDAWG
09-25-2022, 04:11 PM
Regardless how the Aggies won yesterday, it helped them with confidence and believing more. I think if the Hogs would have won with FG it would have deflated the Aggies preparations getting ready to play us.
Gonna be a tough game, I think us playing at home helps but if we don?t play a complete game we will get beat. I like our chances but it?s a ?could go either way game?.

Agree ... but we needed aTm to win that game... it keeps them and Arky both in the top 25 before we play them... had Arky won then aTm would have surely dropped out

Coach34
09-25-2022, 04:48 PM

Just means we did a good job last year against him. He could get loose Saturday for a 70 yard run. We have a great shot to win the game Saturday but guys like him are always a threat to break one.

Commercecomet24
09-25-2022, 05:41 PM
Some teams get better and some get worse. Happens to every team. Every team don't get better every year. Seems like jury still out on us. We ain't done nothing we were not supposed to do but lose to LSU. Time to show up the next 3 weeks will determine our season.

Next 3 weeks are huge. It's nut cuttin time.

PikeDawg15
09-25-2022, 06:03 PM

You are judging a redshirt Freshman off of 2-3 drives in garbage time when he was playing with the 2nd and 3rd team. When he never gets in any games at all?

Dayum?

PikeDawg15
09-25-2022, 06:05 PM
Agree ... but we needed aTm to win that game... it keeps them and Arky both in the top 25 before we play them... had Arky won then aTm would have surely dropped out

Arkansas won?t be ranked when we play them.

They dropped them 10 spots for losing yesterday.

Once they get beat by 3-4 touchdowns by Alabama , they will be out of the top 25 ..

The AP poll and the college football playoff rankings are SO different.

AP poll is never consistent

Coach34
09-25-2022, 07:58 PM

Thank you Doctor....lol

That's the chess match this Saturday. Can A&M run the ball effectively to get into alot of 2nd and mediums/shorts to help Johnson? Can Johnson make some throws on 3rd and long to keep drives alive?

Durkin has defended Leach well the last 2 years. Can he do it with A&M when it isnt rivalry? Can he get pressure on Rogers? Can he continue to force the Airbone into mistakes?

BeardoMSU
09-25-2022, 08:11 PM
Can he do it with A&M when it isnt rivalry? Can he get pressure on Rogers? Can he continue to force the Airbone into mistakes?

And can he do it with considerably more talent at his disposal?

Coach34
09-25-2022, 08:13 PM
And can he do it with considerably more talent at his disposal?

No doubt. They clamped down on UPig the last 3 Q's pretty well.

Goldendawg
09-25-2022, 08:16 PM
We can?t let Achane get the edge or our cbs better tackle really well.

Our safeties are also good against the run up the middle, against the pass, not so good. If Achane breaks it outside against our LB's we are in trouble.

Bdawg
09-25-2022, 10:19 PM
Our safeties are also good against the run up the middle, against the pass, not so good. If Achane breaks it outside against our LB's we are in trouble.

LBs may have shade a little to the outside to keep him contained when he’s in the game. We are not fleet of foot at LB for sure, but our D is built to stop the run. We must make their QB throw to try to beat us.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2022, 11:08 PM
Dillon Johnson averaged 14 ypc Saturday, and we gave it to him 4 times, compared to 50 throws...in a 45-14 game. That type of coaching puts a low ceiling on our team. 14 yards per carry....4 carries. 11 rushes against Bowling Green. What the actual hell are we doing.

Tater
09-25-2022, 11:38 PM
Dillon Johnson averaged 14 ypc Saturday, and we gave it to him 4 times, compared to 50 throws...in a 45-14 game. That type of coaching puts a low ceiling on our team. 14 yards per carry....4 carries. 11 rushes against Bowling Green. What the actual hell are we doing.

I looked at it as a tune up game. Our run game worked for the most part that this offense needs against LSU. Just when we didn't adjust on 4th & 1 to loaded boxes it didn't work. Our WRs just kept dropping balls. So we needed reps reps reps throwing the ball. Still dropped a couple but coming out of the LSU game what would you say our offense needed work on?

BlackSailsDawg
09-26-2022, 12:09 AM

That is because he broke one.

Tater
09-26-2022, 12:19 AM
That is because he broke one.

Unrelated, but Coach007 you need to at least do better in disguising your alts.

Jarius
09-26-2022, 09:15 AM

Sounds like you should go bet the house on underdog Texas A&M this weekend and make some easy money.

dawgman15
09-26-2022, 09:18 AM
LMAO @HoopsDawg one of the most conceited posts I have seen on here in a while, lots of message board geniuses who can never be wrong

PMDawg
09-26-2022, 12:01 PM
If they get pressure with 3 DL, it s game over anyway. We must protect Will.

Why is this still an IF? Every time we play a team with good DEs, we can't protect Will. It's been that way every game under Leach. If the team has a good DE, or especially 2, he's going to get pressured. Every play? Of course not. But enough to matter. Leach doesn't really care about blocking them. He wants the OTs to force them outside and he thinks that gives Will enough time to process the field and get the ball out before they get home. Ideally, he would step up in the pocket, but our 3 interior linemen usually struggle to block the NT, or heaven forbid the stunting LB too. If it was legal, I think Leach would just get rid of the OL altogether and put 9 WRs, 1RB, and a QB on the field.

Maverick91
09-26-2022, 12:09 PM
Why is this still an IF? Every time we play a team with good DEs, we can't protect Will. It's been that way every game under Leach. If the team has a good DE, or especially 2, he's going to get pressured. Every play? Of course not. But enough to matter. Leach doesn't really care about blocking them. He wants the OTs to force them outside and he thinks that gives Will enough time to process the field and get the ball out before they get home. Ideally, he would step up in the pocket, but our 3 interior linemen usually struggle to block the NT, or heaven forbid the stunting LB too. If it was legal, I think Leach would just get rid of the OL altogether and put 9 WRs, 1RB, and a QB on the field.

This is the best comment of the day.

MrCoachKlein
09-26-2022, 03:51 PM
of the Mike Leach Error

Freudian slip?

MrCoachKlein
09-26-2022, 03:59 PM

My guess would be repping our bread and butter when we are up 4 scores. What good does it do us to run up the middle for 15 ypc when we know we will win? No one learns or reps anything useful.

WhiskeyPirate
09-26-2022, 11:14 PM
My guess would be repping our bread and butter when we are up 4 scores. What good does it do us to run up the middle for 15 ypc when we know we will win? No one learns or reps anything useful.

Of course

basedog
09-27-2022, 06:44 AM

It's more about the blocking or lineman, not so much about the running back. Also, your wide outs practice or learning to block. Hell, practicing routes is easy, but being aggressive blocking is a whole different thing. We are soft in the OLine, mainly because of the system, passing game, it's just who we are and I'm fine with this as long as we win.

Bdawg
09-27-2022, 01:56 PM

Although it didn?t happen in the first year, 5 should be able to block 3. If not, we are screwed. I don?t think LSU got pressure with just 3. They overloaded us a fair amount and got pressure. This is when Will and our receivers must do better. Will has to check to the right play and get the ball out quicker. The receivers must make the catch and get quick separation.