PDA

View Full Version : So I'm not getting the 113 years of history stuff with Arkansas.....

Goat Holder
11-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Why not just say, the first win over Arkansas in the state of Arkansas? We didn't even play them there until the tie in 1993. We played them in Memphis in 1916 and 1939 but that's irrelevant since the games were in Memphis? What significance does 113 have? I guess that's just the first year of our program, 1901. Although apparently we did play a couple of seasons before that.

Original48
11-25-2013, 12:07 PM
As someone mention..sounded kinda like Nutt's 'back to back Cotton Bowls for the first time in fiffffffffffty YEARS'. I am in no way comparing the two as coaches, just what appeared to be someone trying to reach a disgruntled fan base (as well as anyone looking to hire a head coach).

Maroonthirteen
11-25-2013, 12:08 PM
He just won a game that he had to win in OT. I sure he was just excited.

I wish he would just said, first time "I" meaning as a HC "won at Arkansas." However, again, easy to nit pick and over analyze after the fact.

CadaverDawg
11-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Not trying to start anything, but everybody knows what he was doing. He was playing it up as a huge accomplishment to try and turn a turd performance into a positive and keep heat off of his ass. He followed that up with saying something about going after our 4th bowl game in a row....so it's as if he was reading his r?sum?. You never put, "missed quota in 2013"....you say things like, "made history in Arkansas in 2013".

Just my opinion

Goat Holder
11-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Clarion Ledger article wrote it too though. Obviously Mullen was trying to make it look like we did something (and it was VERY big IMO, to be honest).

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 01:30 PM
This doesn't look good for MSU so I don't know why we keep saying it plus it's misleading as ****. Just say it's the first time we've beaten Arkansas in Arkansas. They joined in 1992.

Coach34
11-25-2013, 01:33 PM
He once again did something no former State coach had done- it is a big deal.

Goat Holder
11-25-2013, 01:37 PM
I realize that. Re-read my post.

fishwater99
11-25-2013, 01:47 PM
This another reason why I don't like Mullen...

bluelightstar
11-25-2013, 01:58 PM
He once again did something no former State coach had done- it is a big deal.

It's not like that's something that's had plenty of chances to happen.

CadaverDawg
11-25-2013, 02:03 PM

Yep. Was Mullen our first coach to beat Bowling green? Better Hang a banner and add it to the resume

Coach34
11-25-2013, 02:07 PM

21 years is plenty of chances to beat UPig twice in a row- hadnt been done yet. We had had 10 previous chances to win in R-Kansas- hadnt done it.

Coach34
11-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Bowling Green is not in the SEC West nor have they played for the SEC title multiple times like UPig has

Will James
11-25-2013, 02:11 PM
We gave Northwestern their first bowl win in 60 years!! 60 years!!

Will James
11-25-2013, 02:12 PM
21 years is plenty of chances to beat UPig twice in a row- hadnt been done yet. We had had 10 previous chances to win in R-Kansas- hadnt done it.

So?

Ronny
11-25-2013, 02:13 PM
...when Stansbury finally won a basketball game @Arkansas it was, if you'll recall, sensationalized to death. We could not win @ Arkansas in basketball. This went on for years. Then when Stans finally did the MS sports media went apeshit.

When Mullen wins a football game @Arkansas you must use the most dramatic hyperbole to describe it.

Hence the 113 year crap. It sounds groundbreaking & dramatic & comes across as a watershed moment in MSU football history.

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 02:17 PM
So one year later and Mullen is still shoveling the same shit as the 8-0 We Believe. Give us a ****ing break. Arkansas and Kentucky are the worst two teams in the SEC and it ain't close. Bragging about beating an awful team does not impress anyone.

bluelightstar
11-25-2013, 02:17 PM

but only 2 previous coaches. It's not like this was a long losing streak amongst a long line of coaches.

stxdawg
11-25-2013, 02:18 PM

I think Dan is just trying to get our fans pumped up and mostly getting the team pumped. Sometimes a little history can get you that extra motivation that the other side doesn't have. I like the fact that Dan knows where we have been and where we are coming from. Our players pulled off a great victory Sat, and we are about to do it again in 3 days.

Goat Holder
11-25-2013, 02:22 PM
I agree and all, but I just think "State Wins in Arkansas for the First Time in its History" accomplishes the same, without sort of a twisted lie about an irrelevant 113 years.

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Vandy beat Florida @ Florida this year for the first time since 1945. That's a snapped streak worth mentioning a little until you realize Florida lost to Georgia Southern while GS didn't complete a single pass. I doubt Vandy is bragging today about beating Florida when it's obvious Florida sucks. Mullen and MSU shouldn't be bragging here. It makes MSU look bad.

LiterallyPolice
I don't understand how some people can claim we need to "control the media", and in the same breath criticize our coach for touting an accomplishment.

Oh wait, that's not true.... I do understand. Just another excuse to bash Mullen.

cheewgumm
Propaganda ... I guess if the " Mullen" folks feel its necessary, it's pretty telling.

LiterallyPolice
11-25-2013, 02:28 PM
So?

We had never won @ Arkansas, and now we have. It's a TREND. Can't you see the TREND? Don't you believe in TRENDS, Will James??

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-25-2013, 02:28 PM
So one year later and Mullen is still shoveling the same shit as the 8-0 We Believe. Give us a ****ing break. Arkansas and Kentucky are the worst two teams in the SEC and it ain't close. Bragging about beating an awful team does not impress anyone.

Anyone except Coach34. #signaturewin

Ronny
11-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Vandy beat Florida @ Florida this year for the first time since 1945. That's a snapped streak worth mentioning a little until you realize Florida lost to Georgia Southern while GS didn't complete a single pass. I doubt Vandy is bragging today about beating Florida when it's obvious Florida sucks. Mullen and MSU shouldn't be bragging here. It makes MSU look bad.

..Vandy doesn't give a flying crap about Georgia Southern.

Vandy won @ UF for the first time since WWII & I'm sure the whole Vandy fanbase is proud of that accomplishment & talks about it constantly.

And you are dead wrong about Mullen bragging about winning @Arkansas. He achieved something historical & should receive accolades for it.

People who post shit like you do piss me off.

cheewgumm
11-25-2013, 02:38 PM
"Don't laugh, I beat Muhammad Ali" - Larry Holmes

Coach34
11-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Nobody said it was a signature win- but it is good to do things in your program that you havent done before. That's not a bad thing and talking about it in no way makes us look bad.

What made us look bad is that we have never won there before.

Tbonewannabe
11-25-2013, 02:51 PM
I don't think it is a big deal but I like Mullen spinning it. Lord knows those sons of bitches in oxford spin shit all the time. We need to get with the program.

Coach34
11-25-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't think it is a big deal but I like Mullen spinning it. Lord knows those sons of bitches in oxford spin shit all the time. We need to get with the program.

exactly

OM managed to spin a shitty bowl win over a shitty team like Pitt into some grand accomplishment. Our fanbase goes with the opposite approach- they want to make everything we do seem as shitty as possible.

We are M-State

AROB44
11-25-2013, 03:42 PM
exactly

OM managed to spin a shitty bowl win over a shitty team like Pitt into some grand accomplishment. Our fanbase goes with the opposite approach- they want to make everything we do seem as shitty as possible. We are M-State

THIS X the national debt!!!!!!!

fishwater99
11-25-2013, 05:15 PM
When did we first play a game in Arkansas? 1901 or 1992 ?

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 05:22 PM
1993 was the first time playing in Ark and we tied it. First loss was in 1995.

HoopsDawg
11-25-2013, 06:17 PM
To me, it makes us look bad in an effort to make Mullen look good.

I don't have a huge problem touting the win @ Arkansas if Mullen wasn't the one doing it. And especially Mullen doing it right after the game and touting the 113 years bullshit.

drunkernhelldawg
11-25-2013, 06:29 PM
So it does make us look a little bad to recall a history of failure, but it's worth it because it is a big win and a win we had to get, so I'm fine with hyping it to the max. We deserve something to cheer about. I thought the win was impressive on several levels, getting it but also getting it by players who have had some bad luck against the best competition in the nation making the plays they needed to make to get the win. I think those performances are a sign of good coaching and a good program, so hype it to the max, but don't do it on the jumbotron.

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 06:47 PM
It's just such a ridiculous statement to be saying 113 years. We played them twice before they joined the conference. Both wins and both in MS. One in 1939 and one in 1916. Two games older than 74 years ago. The only thing that matters in this series is since 1992. MSU is 7-6 at home vs Ark and 1-9-1 at Arkansas. Just say this is the first time we've beat them there since they joined in 92.

fishwater99
11-26-2013, 02:54 PM
It's just such a ridiculous statement to be saying 113 years. We played them twice before they joined the conference. Both wins and both in MS. One in 1939 and one in 1916. Two games older than 74 years ago. The only thing that matters in this series is since 1992. MSU is 7-6 at home vs Ark and 1-9-1 at Arkansas. Just say this is the first time we've beat them there since they joined in 92.

This....... First win in Arkansas in 21 years....

Mullen is such a tool...

How about beating a Top 20 Team... When has he done that?

OldFatDog
11-26-2013, 03:25 PM
This....... First win in Arkansas in 21 years....

Mullen is such a tool...

How about beating a Top 20 Team... When has he done that?

When he does, you ****ers will run over here to say that whatever team he beat was overrated and should never have been ranked. It doesn't matter what he does, some of y'all will bitch. Best Florida. They sucked. Beat Georgia. They sucked. Beat Michigan. They sucked. Best Ole Miss three in a row. Can't beat anybody in the West besides Ole Miss. Beats other West teams. They suck. Beats Arkansas in AR for the first time in program history. So what? Damn.

Dawg61
11-26-2013, 03:33 PM
When he does, you ****ers will run over here to say that whatever team he beat was overrated and should never have been ranked. It doesn't matter what he does, some of y'all will bitch. Best Florida. They sucked. Beat Georgia. They sucked. Beat Michigan. They sucked. Best Ole Miss three in a row. Can't beat anybody in the West besides Ole Miss. Beats other West teams. They suck. Beats Arkansas in AR for the first time in program history. So what? Damn.

Haha THAT'S THE POINT DUDE!! They all SUCK! Beat somebody ANYBODY worth a shit. Mullen is 0fer on beating top 20 teams. In year 5!

Coach34
11-26-2013, 03:37 PM

State fans try to tear down anything positive. They have been convinced that nothing matters unless it's a championship and like stupid little dogs- they run with the mantra- always keeping a negativity around the program.

Ole Miss is all about building excitement- making even the smallest of things seem big and exciting. That's what creates buzz and other people are picking up on that.

Will James
11-26-2013, 03:43 PM
State fans try to tear down anything positive.

Some of us would rather not be the ones standing at the punch bowl all night saying how fun prom was while everyone else is ****ing the cheerleaders.

cheewgumm
11-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Ole
Miss just cheated a lot to get some big time recruits... Simple as that.