PDA

View Full Version : Damian Williams, your starting QB for the EGG.

Thick
11-25-2013, 11:46 AM
How do you gameplan with DW vs an aggressive defense? Don't be shy, give your opinions!

SignalToNoise
11-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Screens and draws.

Doubt we'll see either.

BeastMan
11-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Power running with option. Short passes and a few shots down feild off play action. I go over this in my Egg Bowl preview on 3rdAnd57.com . It could resemble Relf's first gameplan

Thick
11-25-2013, 12:00 PM
I agree, I would also run some two back sets to run some option, and some shovel passes off of the option too. If RK, moves to DE, I would place a RB to his side every time, let the RB chip on his way to the flats or on a seam route preferably with LP or maybe with Mojo.

I would also run the diamond formation and the power I out of the shotgun. I would run power sweeps to the RB out of diamond, and run QB sweeps out if the power I too. I would also run straight power plays at little K out of power I. I would give Big Gabe every opportunity to open up holes too! Physical, physical, physical!

Ronny
11-25-2013, 12:10 PM
..for Williams is our defense plays the game of their lives. We keep the OM offense off the field.

You reduce to the bare minimum what is expected of Williams; we use a solid running game & a conservative passing game to control the tempo of the game.

Other than that, Williams is way over his head being thrust into a starting role in the Egg Bowl.

He is going to be a very good QB but this is too much too soon.

DawgsBite34
11-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Power running with option. Short passes and a few shots down feild off play action. I go over this in my Egg Bowl preview on 3rdAnd57.com . It could resemble Relf's first gameplan

GOLD

LeakyD
11-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Put Chris Jones at fullback for the first play. Leave RK unblocked and let CJ blast his ass at full speed. Send a message early.

I'minHailState
11-25-2013, 12:16 PM
So are Dak and TR definitely out?

AROB44
11-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Since I pretty much disagree with everything you post, I feel pretty good about DW now.

CadaverDawg
11-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Honestly, I expect Dan to depend heavily on the defense in this one. You can't give Ole miss a short field every possession, so the field position game and time of possession will tell the tale for us. I don't expect us to take many chances. We will see Damien left, Damien right, Damien up the middle...Same with Perkins and JRob...and occasional slants over the middle by Jameon.

We are just going to have to win the battle in the trenches with our OLine, and play great defense to win this game with Damien at QB. I don't like the way it sets up....but with home field, and a bowl on the line, you never know.

Thick
11-25-2013, 12:21 PM
So are Dak and TR definitely out?

It's looking that way from all accounts.

EngineerDawg
11-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Relf 2.0 is my hero.

Bo Darville
11-25-2013, 12:25 PM
I like Williams, and I have no doubt that he will give us his best. This kid will fight for us, and I fully expect to whip Ole Miss. We must limit turnovers (Milton's fumble is a great example). We must be willing and able to run the football. The O-line must play with a chip on their shoulder. We need to physically whip Ole Miss and ram it down their throat. I want to see some of the diamond formation. If our O-line comes to play, we can win with Williams. However, if we lose the battle at the line of scrimmage, we do not stand a chance with Williams.

DawgsBite34
11-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Put Chris Jones at fullback for the first play. Leave RK unblocked and let CJ blast his ass at full speed. Send a message early.

GOLD

CadaverDawg
11-25-2013, 12:29 PM
I like Williams, and I have no doubt that he will give us his best. This kid will fight for us, and I fully expect to whip Ole Miss. We must limit turnovers (Milton's fumble is a great example). We must be willing and able to run the football. The O-line must play with a chip on their shoulder. We need to physically whip Ole Miss and ram it down their throat. I want to see some of the diamond formation. If our O-line comes to play, we can win with Williams. However, if we lose the battle at the line of scrimmage, we do not stand a chance with Williams.

Agree 100%

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm smelling a Jerious Norwood type Egg Bowl for Josh Robinson Saturday.

engie
11-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Good... I believe Damian gave us the best chance to win Thurs anyway...

Goat Holder
11-25-2013, 12:35 PM
IF this is true, we're going to get killed.

smootness
11-25-2013, 12:35 PM
I think we'll pass more than our fans are expecting, and hopefully more than Ole Miss is expecting as well.

Don't get me wrong, I think our primary gameplan should be centered around Williams, Robinson, and Shumpert pounding it, but Williams can sling it, and I think a few well-timed shots down the field could pay dividends.

ScottH
11-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Who is Damien's actual back up? Not depth chart back up.

Jameon Lewis?

Justin Cox?

Homedawg
11-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Blocking isaac gross concerns me more than anything. He killed us w his quickness last year. Block him and there is a start.

Coach 57
11-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Speed option, screens, draws, misdirection. Damian CAN win this game. Relf had less talent & wore them out! Damian can ACTUALLY pass the ball!

Dawgface
11-25-2013, 01:12 PM
If the OL loses the battle, we would suck with Tyler too. So we need good play there regardless.

I would mix in the wildcat and some reverses(maybe a pass) with Jameon Lewis as a change of pace. Throw as much as we can at them to take the load off of Williams.

BogeyGolfer
11-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Will help us... Ole Miss looked out of sync in the cold v Mizzou and it may have been because everything they run is up tempo... We must be able to run the ball to win.

Statefan
11-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Do y'all think with us being down to one QB Dan may not call on Williams to run it as much? Who knows who the back up is

Thick
11-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Do y'all think with us being down to one QB Dan may not call on Williams to run it as much? Who knows who the back up is

He better play this game like it's his last....kitchen sink included. Lewis can also play the position per DM today in his presser.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2013, 05:00 PM
He better play this game like it's his last....kitchen sink included. Lewis can also play the position per DM today in his presser.

Yea, I agree. We have to play all out, and if Damien gets hurt, he gets hurt. We probably won't win unless we play to win.

I'm guessing Damien is glad he flipped from Southern Miss

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 05:15 PM
DW has a cannon. The play-action vertical passes have to be included. TR was the one throwing it but MSU had 21 points come off the board with 2 drops by Ross and Holloway and a push off by Bear but the point is that all 3 were touchdowns if executed correctly. We are a much better offense when we throw the ball North/South.

codeDawg
11-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Speed option, screens, draws, misdirection. Damian CAN win this game. Relf had less talent & wore them out! Damian can ACTUALLY pass the ball!

This will work if LP is limited / out since Dan refuses to use him correctly. Relf had NFL running backs to work with until his SR year, and we saw that not work out as well. JRob and Shump give us a shot, but they are young. The Relf-ense depends on legitimate backs in addition to the QB.

Todd4State
11-25-2013, 06:54 PM
DW has a cannon. The play-action vertical passes have to be included. TR was the one throwing it but MSU had 21 points come off the board with 2 drops by Ross and Holloway and a push off by Bear but the point is that all 3 were touchdowns if executed correctly. We are a much better offense when we throw the ball North/South.

I watched some video of Damian from the Arkansas game. For some reason, I don't really remember it- but he made some good throws. They were all intermediate throws, but he made them and made the right read and everything. Went 3/4 against Arkansas. He had good games against Troy and Alcorn- aside from the one INT he had against Alcorn. His only bad game was the Alabama game, and we all know the receivers dropped two or three- so it wasn't as bad as the stat sheet looks.