PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hubbard

SteelCurtain74
09-21-2022, 04:00 PM
is making his college announcement tomorrow at 1:30. Any chance Jans gets him to Starkville? It looks like he's down to 6 schools.

msstate7
09-21-2022, 07:57 PM
SPS says OM. They said we had the best NIL deal, but he likes Kermit.

Our recruiting is off to a bad start

Big4Dawg
09-21-2022, 08:34 PM
SPS says OM. They said we had the best NIL deal, but he likes Kermit.

Our recruiting is off to a bad start

Jan’s has been the “other team” for about 6 players now

dawg93
09-21-2022, 10:15 PM
Jan?s has been the ?other team? for about 6 players now

We will be pleasantly surprised tomorrow.

NCMSTFAN
09-22-2022, 06:52 AM
We will be pleasantly surprised tomorrow.

I hope so.. I've said a couple times now that I like Jans coaching but worry about his recruiting, good coaching will only go so far in this league, we need to get the talent also. We've lost out on a lot of guys so far since he took over. Our highest rated guys on the team are Howland's players.

NCMSTFAN
09-22-2022, 06:53 AM
Jan’s has been the “other team” for about 6 players now

Exactly, and if you look at the rankings there aren't any top 100 players considering us other than Josh Hubbard. Jans will probably have to prove himself at State before he's able to bring in those guys consistently. Howland landed a bunch of top 100 guys, he just couldn't coach them. It seems like Jans' best options going forward will be to build out of the portal until he gets things established.

KOdawg1
09-22-2022, 07:23 AM
If he commits to a coach he won't even get to play for over a new coach and school that's offering him more money, more power to him.

I was frustrated when we got outbid for a dude by the College of Charleston. This one won't bother me as much

maroonmania
09-22-2022, 07:24 AM
Exactly, and if you look at the rankings there aren't any top 100 players considering us other than Josh Hubbard. Jans will probably have to prove himself at State before he's able to bring in those guys consistently. Howland landed a bunch of top 100 guys, he just couldn't coach them. It seems like Jans' best options going forward will be to build out of the portal until he gets things established.

Howland had a bunch of shoe company connections that I don't guess Jans has. But I was really surprised at poor of a floor coach Howland was while he was here. Guess he was just old school but he never made adjustments for anything on either end of the floor based on the oppoenent. We just did what we did and hoped it worked. I always said assistants under Howland had the easiest jobs in the world because there was no need to ever scout anyone. I certainly hope we see a lot of improvement in that area under Jans. But with no connections and not being big into NIL I am not surprised that we aren't recruiting well.

Pancho
09-22-2022, 12:05 PM
Kermit is on life support in Oxfart. Hubbard wants to go to that school more than he wants to play for kermit if he goes there.

Homedawg
09-22-2022, 01:22 PM
He's going to ole miss. If he doesn't it's a shocker.

HancockCountyDog
09-22-2022, 04:06 PM
He's going to ole miss. If he doesn't it's a shocker.

Is he good or just ok?

FoggyBottom
09-22-2022, 04:17 PM
Is he good or just ok?

number one in MS in class of 2023. I don't know whether he is as good as Daeshawn Ruffin but they are both point guards.

EdwardDrayton
09-22-2022, 05:27 PM
Ole Miss it is. Oh well.

maroonmania
09-22-2022, 09:12 PM
Whatever, there are a thousand BB players in the portal every year anyway. Hubbard may be one of them after Kermit is fired. No point in losing any sleep over it that's for sure.

Tripp McNeely
09-22-2022, 09:22 PM
This is one of those situations where it is not even a stretch to say, "oh well, we can just pick him up out of the portal in May"

NCMSTFAN
09-22-2022, 09:23 PM
Whatever, there are a thousand BB players in the portal every year anyway. Hubbard may be one of them after Kermit is fired. No point in losing any sleep over it that's for sure.

I agree with you, I'm not losing sleep over it either. But he would have been Jans highest recruit so far and would have shown he may be able to recruit a little.

Maroonthirteen
09-22-2022, 09:24 PM
Did anyone show him the renovations of the front door of the Hump? Or the locker rooms
For 2026?

In the black!*

NCMSTFAN
09-22-2022, 09:44 PM
In comparison to Ole Miss' recruiting classes with the new NIL in place now since everyone likes to bring it up in reference to recruiting:

For 2022 Ole Miss has the 25th best class, we have the 87th.
For 2023 Ole Miss now has the 13th best recruiting class, we have the 67th. (As of now but obviously either team may go up or down)

Our recruiting so far is near the bottom of the SEC. I understand it's Jans 1st year but our future isn't very talented. These recruits we have so far are Rick Ray type recruits... say what you want about Howland but from a recruiting standpoint he brought in Newman, Quinndary and Aric Holman his very 1st year at State. I do feel that Jans will be a better coach than Howland and Kermit but we have to get talent in also. Cherry picking good mid major players out of the Portal is what he's done so far, we will have to see how that works going forward.

msstate7
09-22-2022, 09:49 PM
Jans better figure out Jeffries and hope one of his guard transfers hit

Bothrops
09-22-2022, 10:10 PM
Jackson area private school athletes are usually heavily influenced to pick OM over State by their peers.

NCMSTFAN
09-22-2022, 11:51 PM
Jans better figure out Jeffries and hope one of his guard transfers hit

I aree, if Jans can unlock Jeffries potential to go along with Tolu, Matthews and Shak plus hopefully get solid play out of these new guys we should be ok this season becauseI think we have enough good talent left over to go along with his coaching.

NCMSTFAN
09-22-2022, 11:53 PM
Jackson area private school athletes are usually heavily influenced to pick OM over State by their peers.

Very possible, it's just weird seeing the top Mississippi players commit to Ole Miss. We ALWAYS used to get them..

HoopsDawg
09-22-2022, 11:54 PM
Very possible, it's just weird seeing the top Mississippi players commit to Ole Miss. We ALWAYS used to get them..

It's concerning. Jan's needs a win on the recruiting trail.

Patrick Tibbons
09-23-2022, 04:49 AM

I don?t think this is really the case. Maybe Prep? but JA and MRA both send a ton of kids to State.

One of our best baseball players of all time went to Prep. In the last 2 years in baseball we?ve signed about 6 kids who either went to JA, MRA, or Prep.

A few years ago in football we had two starting offensive lineman who went to JA & MRA.

Overall, there aren?t that many Jackson area private school kids that are SEC athletes, but we get our fair share.

Maroonthirteen
09-23-2022, 06:15 AM
OM invested in basketball a few years back. They have better basketball facilities than State now.

NCMSTFAN
09-23-2022, 07:21 AM
OM invested in basketball a few years back. They have better basketball facilities than State now.

We are in the middle of a huge renovation for our basketball facilities, Hopefully we aren't too far off from them with these new renovations. Some of the women players did a small tour of a new section on twitter and it is looking pretty nice. But your right, they have invested in both Men's and Women's basketball over the last few years. Their women's team even went 23-9 last season and were better than ours, in the past we rarely lost to them

msstate7
09-23-2022, 07:23 AM
Has any word of our new additions or returning guys taking game up a level come out?

msugolf
09-23-2022, 08:00 AM

Our athletic department stopped caring about basketball years ago. It?s not a priority at this point. They?ll do the bare minimum when it comes to addressing issues. The Jans hiring was handled externally and he has tough sell right now. Jury is out whether he can get it done but he sure does not have a full deck of cards to work with from a athletic department support aspect.

And if we are being honest, the same trends can be applied to the other sports. Its almost as if we hired a former coach to be our athletic director. Hey but we are in the black! We are still running an athletic department like its 1998

StarkVegasSteve
09-23-2022, 08:24 AM
This is one of those situations where it is not even a stretch to say, "oh well, we can just pick him up out of the portal in May"

Unfortunately for Hubbard the two players that are next in line on the board are probably better overall players than him IMO. Really like Ty Laur Johnson out of NY. When Kermit is canned and Hubbard is let out of his NLI we will not have a spot for him

Goldendawg
09-23-2022, 11:24 AM
Our athletic department stopped caring about basketball years ago. It?s not a priority at this point. They?ll do the bare minimum when it comes to addressing issues. The Jans hiring was handled externally and he has tough sell right now. Jury is out whether he can get it done but he sure does not have a full deck of cards to work with from a athletic department support aspect.

And if we are being honest, the same trends can be applied to the other sports. Its almost as if we hired a former coach to be our athletic director. Hey but we are in the black! We are still running an athletic department like its 1998

Larry Templeton says hello. Now, if we could just sell some of those 8 home FB games in 2023, we could really make some $.

EdwardDrayton
09-23-2022, 11:41 AM
How exactly is the athletic department not fully supporting Jans and the basketball program as some have alluded?!!?

Bothrops
09-23-2022, 02:58 PM
I don?t think this is really the case. Maybe Prep? but JA and MRA both send a ton of kids to State.

One of our best baseball players of all time went to Prep. In the last 2 years in baseball we?ve signed about 6 kids who either went to JA, MRA, or Prep.

A few years ago in football we had two starting offensive lineman who went to JA & MRA.

Overall, there aren?t that many Jackson area private school kids that are SEC athletes, but we get our fair share.

The ones you are referring to were from a decade or so ago. I'm talking recruited athletes not students in general, or baseball, since that is different.

NCMSTFAN
09-23-2022, 04:57 PM
Has any word of our new additions or returning guys taking game up a level come out?
Not alot has been said about the guys individually yet. A few weeks back Jans said the DeShawn Davis has looked good so far. He briefly touched on a few other guys but not much. This is a mystery team this season. Alot of new faces and new staff, that's why its surprising its been so quiet. You would think the media would be trying to find more info out about the new guys

Patrick Tibbons
09-24-2022, 10:36 AM
The ones you are referring to were from a decade or so ago. I'm talking recruited athletes not students in general, or baseball, since that is different.

I know but your point was the peers of athletes at JA, Prep, & MRA heavily influence said athletes to go to Ole Miss.

I was pointing out that this was probably not as likely as you think due to a large amount MRA and JA students enrolling at State. Prep not so much.

Ha so I count can?t baseball since it is not conducive to your argument? I guess baseball players aren?t influenced by their peers.

Okay. Name an impact football or basketball player from MRA, Prep, or JA we?ve lost to Ole Miss. I can think of Ealy.