PDA

View Full Version : NIL wont affect us some of you said.....

Coach34
09-21-2022, 02:27 PM
Late September and we are 39th currently in recruiting (44th in average star rating). We are recruiting behind Duke, Iowa State, Pitt, and Purdue currently.

Either NIL is hurting us OR the Pirate isnt working the recruiting roads. Northwestern has twice as many 4-stars as we do. December will be here before we know it. Gonna take a helluva close.

RezDog7
09-21-2022, 02:30 PM
Late September and we are 39th currently in recruiting (44th in average star rating). We are recruiting behind Duke, Iowa State, Pitt, and Purdue currently.

Either NIL is hurting us OR the Pirate isnt working the recruiting roads. Northwestern has twice as many 4-stars as we do. December will be here before we know it. Gonna take a helluva close.

All of our commits are underrated.

Coach34
09-21-2022, 02:37 PM
ahhhhhh Diamonds.

Goldendawg
09-21-2022, 02:39 PM

As I have posted before, our current list of "Top Targets" on Genespage only has 3 HS players left that are "warm" to us and only one is a 4 star. Looking at the list, do we even recruit many 4 stars (most may already committed)? OM is still around 50, they seem to be committed to the portal, but have about 3 of the top 5 MS HS players. They may become great players, but we seem to be hitting TN hard but even though they are top 25 rated in that state, I have often read here that TN is not exactly a recruiting hotbed even for UT. Sign me worried that this will even be a TOP 30 class. We must increa$e our recruiting budget big time now.

bulldawg28
09-21-2022, 02:41 PM
ahhhhhh Diamonds.

Diamonds are forever!!!

BlackSailsDawg
09-21-2022, 02:42 PM

Yep. I pointed out that Northwestern had more money than we do. And look at them.......

If any ivy league college wanted to, they could lower admissions and be the elite conference.

dawgman15
09-21-2022, 02:43 PM
In all seriousness are we the poorest school in the conference?

Quaoarsking
09-21-2022, 02:45 PM
We should have small high school classes every year and stock up on transfers from Georgia, Alabama, etc., who aren't quite good enough to play there but want a second chance to prove themselves.

Make it part of our culture officially that you can prove your original blue blood school wrong by coming here and showing out.

Goldendawg
09-21-2022, 02:49 PM

Well, according to some, we put a big chuck of that very large annual $EC check under our mattress for a rainy day. Well, it doesn't take SVD to tell it's pouring down rain on our recruiting compared to most of the SEC.

dawgman15
09-21-2022, 02:52 PM
Well, according to some, we put a big chuck of that very large annual $EC check under our mattress for a rainy day. Well, it doesn't take SVD to tell it's pouring down rain on our recruiting compared to most of the SEC.

I get that but each school gets the same amount from the tv deal, I mean as in our alumni base who donate to the school. I would imagine being our size we dont have the same pot of money as other schools

Goldendawg
09-21-2022, 02:57 PM
We should have small high school classes every year and stock up on transfers from Georgia, Alabama, etc., who aren't quite good enough to play there but want a second chance to prove themselves.

Make it part of our culture officially that you can prove your original blue blood school wrong by coming here and showing out.

Limited sample size thus far, but what transfer for us has made a big splash except Polk? Several duds so far and seeing a bama RT that didn't even sniff the field for them, but immediately started for us with limited success says a lot about our talent on hand at the time. OM brought in 19 new this year and AZ 50. Will be interesting to see how their seasons go. Portal is here to stay, but some transfers not even finding a new landing spot and some didn't play at first stop for a reason. We have a former Texas HS 5 star that is now a second year starter for us, (yet to be beat out), at safety and it is again a weak spot for us in pass D. A highly rated bama WR didn't even last a season for us (may have been under JoMO).

R2Dawg
09-21-2022, 03:04 PM

Those Key West kids are hard to fill a roster.

Goldendawg
09-21-2022, 03:12 PM
Those Key West kids are hard to fill a roster.

Why would they want to leave Key West University, even though I used to ride my Honda 350 street bike out to Oktibbeha County Lake when at State in the 70's! Hail State!

Maroonthirteen
09-21-2022, 03:15 PM
Obviously there is some frustration among the MSU faithful that feed Bo Bounds info. Because Bo has mentioned Dave Emmerick many times, Leach's staff in general regarding recruiting and named a few recruits around the state.

I'm not connected enough to know what is going on in recruiting. However if Bounds who doesn't have a recruiting show, keeps mentioning Leachs staff and our "passive fan base" something tells me something is off.

Goldendawg
09-21-2022, 03:28 PM
I have never listened to Bo Bounds. I didn't think fans were supposed to help recruit unless NCAA rules have changed. I know NIL seems to be the "Wild, Wild, West", but what is our "passive fan base", unless not enough NIL contributions? I have never though of Bulldog fans as passive. We pay millions to our coaches and athletic departments. It is part of their job to recruit as a big part of their job descriptions I would think. We fans buy tickets, attend games, and donate $. I didn't know I was passive and supposed to call or visit recruits.

RezDog7
09-21-2022, 03:47 PM
I have never listened to Bo Bounds. I didn't think fans were supposed to help recruit unless NCAA rules have changed. I know NIL seems to be the "Wild, Wild, West", but what is our "passive fan base", unless not enough NIL contributions? I have never though of Bulldog fans as passive. We pay millions to our coaches and athletic departments. It is part of their job to recruit as a big part of their job descriptions I would think. We fans buy tickets, attend games, and donate $. I didn't know I was passive and supposed to call or visit recruits.

If buying croots is what it takes to win 8 games at msu, count me out. I've got my own kids to feed.

Goldendawg
09-21-2022, 04:45 PM
If buying croots is what it takes to win 8 games at msu, count me out. I've got my own kids to feed.

Guy I know buys multiple season tickets for men's basketball, football, and baseball and big Bulldog dues for good seats and has done so for years. As per NIL, told me he wouldn't donate so an athlete could have a larger gold chain. We again have 8 season tickets for football and sit next to this guy. I tried three different MSU families/friends and couldn't give away BG tickets as some of my family members don't want to attend game four. This is nothing new after family continually buying 8 to 12 season tickets for the last 50 plus years along with the Bulldog Club donations to buy said tickets. This NIL is a mess and game is changing in some not so good ways. In today'$ world, tough choices for your $, even if you love college sports and MSU. Hail State!

BeardoMSU
09-21-2022, 04:51 PM

Kiffin is definitely making the portal a priority.

Goldendawg
09-21-2022, 05:11 PM
Kiffin is definitely making the portal a priority.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out as they meet tougher competition with 19 new guy$.

Big4Dawg
09-21-2022, 05:21 PM

We are awful at identifying and recruiting portal players

BlackSailsDawg
09-21-2022, 05:34 PM

Polk

Jordan Morant 4 star

Hunter Washington 4 star

Justin Robinson 6-4 / 220 WR 4 star

Jordan Mosley 4 star

Jackie Matthews 4 star

Marcus Banks 4 star

Greene 5 star

msugolf
09-21-2022, 05:48 PM
Polk

Jordan Morant 4 star

Hunter Washington 4 star

Jordan Mosley 4 star

Jackie Matthews 4 star

Marcus Banks 4 star

Greene 5 star

I'm sure glad you listed them all so I can see we're batting a great .200 on contributions from our portal players.

Quaoarsking
09-21-2022, 05:49 PM

Then we need to get better at that. It's a much more realistic path for us to get talent to Starkville.

Goldendawg
09-21-2022, 06:29 PM
Polk

Jordan Morant 4 star

Hunter Washington 4 star

Jordan Mosley 4 star

Jackie Matthews 4 star

Marcus Banks 4 star

Greene 5 star

Outside of Polk, who has been an instant big contributor? (Not counting players now in year 1. You left off Lashley and the WR from bama that didn't last the season). Green must be one of the most over rated Texas 5 stars ever,

R2Dawg
09-21-2022, 07:19 PM
Polk

Jordan Morant 4 star

Hunter Washington 4 star

Jordan Mosley 4 star

Jackie Matthews 4 star

Marcus Banks 4 star

Greene 5 star

So what you are telling me is stars don't matter. It ain't the stars I been saying that for years. Yes some stars matter but just because they got 4-5 don't mean jack.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-21-2022, 07:26 PM

Yes. And it?s not even close.

Dawgology
09-22-2022, 09:38 AM
It’s all of this and the fan base is apathetic. Every year success is hyped and it’s always the same result. Mediocre to poor results and now the one thing state could hang it’s hat on (baseball) is a train wreck. The fan base is checking out. LSU game was an opportunity to take a step and the program failed. Miserably. Until the MSU athletic program gets serious about results the fan base will continue to check out.

Everyone complaining several years back about the handful of fans demanding better results, more aggressive recruiting tactics, and not being satisfied with mediocre bowl games are now seeing what continued mediocrity brings. Apathy.

Maroonthirteen
09-22-2022, 09:59 AM
We will be lucky to have 30,000 actual this weekend.

Offshore Dawg
09-22-2022, 10:02 AM
As I have posted before, our current list of "Top Targets" on Genespage only has 3 HS players left that are "warm" to us and only one is a 4 star. Looking at the list, do we even recruit many 4 stars (most may already committed)? OM is still around 50, they seem to be committed to the portal, but have about 3 of the top 5 MS HS players. They may become great players, but we seem to be hitting TN hard but even though they are top 25 rated in that state, I have often read here that TN is not exactly a recruiting hotbed even for UT. Sign me worried that this will even be a TOP 30 class. We must increa$e our recruiting budget big time now.
Remind us again how much you donated.

BlackSailsDawg
09-22-2022, 10:19 AM
I'm sure glad you listed them all so I can see we're batting a great .200 on contributions from our portal players.

We are batting 100. Where do you see we aren't? Is it because some of these are Freshmen and currently play a lesser role? Greene starts. Mathews came in and is now starting. Banks is in rotation. Polk Started when here. Washington is a Freshman 4 star. Robinson is a So and has caught a TD this season. Mosley is a Freshman. Morant.. a So.. he's played in every game backing up.

All of these younger players recruited, we are going to need in the near future.

BlackSailsDawg
09-22-2022, 10:34 AM
Outside of Polk, who has been an instant big contributor? (Not counting players now in year 1. You left off Lashley and the WR from bama that didn't last the season). Green must be one of the most over rated Texas 5 stars ever,

Most all of the ones I listed are from this past recruiting season and I listed in the post above their class. Sorry that you evidently don't like it?? Greene does a damn good job. Lashely... That should tell you how messed up our recruiting was prior and everybody agrees the OL is an area that has hurt Ms ST for the past 5 plus years. The bama WR got dismissed due to his own actions.

R2Dawg

So what you are telling me is stars don't matter. It ain't the stars I been saying that for years. Yes some stars matter but just because they got 4-5 don't mean jack.

Not even sure how you get that from what I posted. If they didn't matter, then there would be no ranking system and bama would not be BAMA. Tell that to UGA. Tell it to any other top 10 team.

The fact is we are using the portal. We are doing pretty damn great in it for what our over all needs were. Our biggest need this past season was DBs. This class will have different needs and we will see what is out there and how we do.

And here is what I have been saying. We are building a program. That takes time for it to be done right. Names mentioned here, like Clawson.. all have had to have time to build it to where you like what you see. Clawson took 5 years at his previous stop and 5 at the current stop to have a good team that competed. Mullen took time. But that's not what you and some others want. You want it now regardless of progress.

dawgman15
09-22-2022, 10:46 AM
This thread got me thinking about our future and it just seems like with us not taking advantage when Ole Miss was in the gutter by hiring Moorehead and letting Ole Miss come back and hire Kiffin they have all the momentum and more money than us just doesn't look bright ahead making me sad

TrapGame
09-22-2022, 10:55 AM
This thread got me thinking about our future and it just seems like with us not taking advantage when Ole Miss was in the gutter by hiring Moorehead and letting Ole Miss come back and hire Kiffin they have all the momentum and more money than us just doesn't look bright ahead making me sad

I'd actually go back to Croom and Coach O on that. LT shit the bed hiring Croom while OM had a massive brain fart with O. If we had hired Jimbo back then we would be talking about things a lot differently right now. We might have ended up on probation with Jimbo but Croom set us back twenty years anyway. Even Mullen's average coaching and minimal requests of facilities and fan support seemed light years ahead when it was just the bare minimum most programs had already been doing.

Dawgology
09-22-2022, 11:00 AM

It’s about ROI. Why would I fund an NIL or donate $100k+ when I don’t believe in this athletic departments capability to capitalize on it? I’ve seen nothing to indicate it will be managed well. Certainly not in football or basketball. In regards to baseball they had all the momentum and good publicity they will ever have and they flushed it all last year. Total mismanagement. Bad investment at present.

BlackSailsDawg
09-22-2022, 11:01 AM

I can not just blame JoMo. I blame Mullen for what happened in his final season and then JoMo for not cleaning it up and allowing it to get worse. He was in WAY over his head!

EdwardDrayton
09-22-2022, 11:04 AM
You know it’s bad when we have an “oh well” attitude about losing to Ole Miss a third time.

MoreCowbell
09-22-2022, 11:13 AM

Yeah most likely

EdwardDrayton
09-22-2022, 11:14 AM
It’s about ROI. Why would I fund an NIL or donate $100k+ when I don’t believe in this athletic departments capability to capitalize on it? I’ve seen nothing to indicate it will be managed well. Certainly not in football or basketball. In regards to baseball they had all the momentum and good publicity they will ever have and they flushed it all last year. Total mismanagement. Bad investment at present.

Certainly believe many folks have at least some doubt that increased giving will elevate us to truly competitive at the highest level.

Big4Dawg
09-22-2022, 11:45 AM
Polk

Jordan Morant 4 star

Hunter Washington 4 star

Jordan Mosley 4 star

Jackie Matthews 4 star

Marcus Banks 4 star

Greene 5 star

Polk - good
Morant - 0 tackles
Washington - 1 tackle
Robinson - 1 catch
Mosley - 0 catches
Matthews - good
Banks - 3 tackles
Greene - good

so 3 starters/good players in 2 years? Thats awful

BlackSailsDawg
09-22-2022, 11:50 AM
Polk - good
Morant - 0 tackles
Washington - 1 tackle
Robinson - 1 catch
Mosley - 0 catches
Matthews - good
Banks - 3 tackles
Greene - good

so 3 starters/good players in 2 years? Thats awful

No it isn't. We are batting 100. Is it because some of these are Freshmen and currently play a lesser role? Greene starts. Mathews came in and is now starting. Banks is in rotation. Polk Started when here. Washington is a Freshman 4 star. Robinson is a So and has caught a TD this season. Mosley is a Freshman. Morant.. a So.. he's played in every game backing up.

All of these younger players recruited, we are going to need in the near future and we used the portal to bring them in.

Pancho
09-22-2022, 12:07 PM
what about the portal receiver from georgia? I have lost track of him

PikeDawg15
09-22-2022, 12:09 PM

Another SEC school in our state is doing that.

PikeDawg15
09-22-2022, 12:13 PM
Will be interesting to see how this plays out as they meet tougher competition with 19 new guy$.

Some have said all you need is talent. If you can get the talent ....

Why cant we hire ED O as recruiting coordinator ( probably would just rather pay the recruits with that money)

PikeDawg15
09-22-2022, 12:17 PM
It?s about ROI. Why would I fund an NIL or donate $100k+ when I don?t believe in this athletic departments capability to capitalize on it? I?ve seen nothing to indicate it will be managed well. Certainly not in football or basketball. In regards to baseball they had all the momentum and good publicity they will ever have and they flushed it all last year. Total mismanagement. Bad investment at present.

Do not donate. Contact the player on your own that you want to get to come to state. Its not illegal for a private citizen to do that if you arent employed by the university.

Maroonthirteen
09-22-2022, 12:34 PM
Do not donate. Contact the player on your own that you want to get to come to state. Its not illegal for a private citizen to do that if you arent employed by the university.

Hahahaha. Bracky just had a heart attack.

Scratch that.... I just saw the visit list for this weekend. Y'all need to get to the game and do some handshaking. It would be nice to flip a certain safety.

BlackSailsDawg
09-22-2022, 12:41 PM
what about the portal receiver from georgia? I have lost track of him

https://hailstate.com/sports/football/roster/justin-robinson/7563 Caught a TD in game one. He is a Sophomore and will get more time as the season goes on and continues to learn the system.

Johnson85
09-22-2022, 01:59 PM

I mean, there were like 4 people that didn't understand that having to compete with under the table money helped a school that generally had fewer and less affluent alumni but some with intense fanship. Certainly there were people that were hopeful, but I think everybody knew this was going to be really bad unless we were really good about shifting much more of school giving to NIL and trying to pay expenses with TV and ticket revenue (without the big donations just to hold a seat).

The school really needs to figure out a way to give people credit for NIL deals.

Dawgology
09-22-2022, 02:07 PM
Some have said all you need is talent. If you can get the talent ....

Why cant we hire ED O as recruiting coordinator ( probably would just rather pay the recruits with that money)

This would send a clear signal to investors that MSU is getting serious. It will never happen until we have an administrative change.

dawgday166
09-22-2022, 02:33 PM
I do think NIL will affect us too. However, right now our average player rating on 247 is 87.26. Going back to 2015, 16, & 17 (classes which produced 2018 team), our average player ratings were between 87 & 88. So it seems to me our rating is about where it normally is.

PikeDawg15
09-22-2022, 03:49 PM
I do think NIL will affect us too. However, right now our average player rating on 247 is 87.26. Going back to 2015, 16, & 17 (classes which produced 2018 team), our average player ratings were between 87 & 88. So it seems to me our rating is about where it normally is.

Problem is our competition is increasing their player ratings.

Texas a&m did not recruit this high in 2015

Kentucky, Arkansas, and ole miss are steadily increasing their talent roster.

Auburn wont be down long if they hire the right guy and get their NIL shit together.

dawgday166
09-22-2022, 04:06 PM
Problem is our competition is increasing their player ratings.

Texas a&m did not recruit this high in 2015

Kentucky, Arkansas, and ole miss are steadily increasing their talent roster.

Auburn wont be down long if they hire the right guy and get their NIL shit together.

Right now I don't see that this year. They're recruiting about the same too. TAM had great year last year but they've been in top 5 / top 10 for a few years now I think. They always recruit better than they play.

Either way I do think NIL will be negative impact to us long term. And recruiting isn't over this year so a lot of money might be spent in a flurry towards December that could produce exactly what you're describing.

WhiskeyPirate
09-22-2022, 04:17 PM
NIL really helps the wealthy schools that underachieve annually aka Texas, USC, Oregon. It may eventually remove Bama from the top spot.

If you play the portal right, it may not be as disastrous for us as some think.

Coach34
09-22-2022, 05:23 PM
Right now I don't see that this year. They're recruiting about the same too. TAM had great year last year but they've been in top 5 / top 10 for a few years now I think. They always recruit better than they play.

A&M recruiting

2016- 18th
2017- 13th
2018- 17th
2019- 5th
2020- 6th
2021- 9th
2022- 1st

WhiskeyPirate
09-22-2022, 05:27 PM
A&M needs a new coach to put all that talent to use. Jimbo ain’t it.

dawgday166
09-22-2022, 06:08 PM
A&M recruiting

2016- 18th
2017- 13th
2018- 17th
2019- 5th
2020- 6th
2021- 9th
2022- 1st

This is pretty close to what I was saying. So TAM bounced up with Jimbo before NIL. Right now they're 24th but they only have 11 recruits. So I do think NIL will adversely affect us but I'm not sure I'm seeing that much just yet. However, this year ain't over yet either.

Quaoarsking
09-22-2022, 06:14 PM
If you pick up a starter in the transfer portal, it's a win. Lashley wasn't great, but someone worse would have been playing there if we hadn't gotten him.

Similarly, if you pick up a player who flips even just 1 loss to a win, it's a huge portal success. KJ Costello wasn't great either, but without him we lose to LSU in 2020.

Thus, Lashley and Costello should be counted as transfer portal wins, not busts.

Goldendawg
09-22-2022, 07:05 PM

Bulldog Club since day one, football season tickets for 50 plus years (8 to 12 per year), many special projects over the years. Hail State!

Goldendawg
09-22-2022, 07:09 PM
We will be lucky to have 30,000 actual this weekend.

I tried for a week to give away some good tickets, no luck. I would love to see success on the field bring sellouts and only a very few tickets available at over MSRP*, before I punt*! Hail State!

Cooterpoot
09-22-2022, 07:31 PM
A&M went up 4 points since the portal kicked in? That's not that much difference. Top 5 is all very similar.
I don't see a huge difference.
Here, I see a staff that needs to recruit better and a school that needs to commit to being a good program.

coachnorm
09-22-2022, 07:50 PM
https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/story/2022-09-21/corona-centennial-basketball-jared-mccain-nil-champs-sports

This guy has not committed to a school and is pocketing money ahead of time?

Goldendawg
09-22-2022, 08:19 PM
https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/story/2022-09-21/corona-centennial-basketball-jared-mccain-nil-champs-sports

This guy has not committed to a school and is pocketing money ahead of time?

Article says he is committed to Duke BB.

Offshore Dawg
09-23-2022, 03:57 PM
Bulldog Club since day one, football season tickets for 50 plus years (8 to 12 per year), many special projects over the years. Hail State!

Golden you are one of the best ones

Goldendawg
09-23-2022, 06:11 PM
Golden you are one of the best ones

Thanks, but "Fortunate One"s (CCR). Owe it to my late SuperDawg Dad who raised us right. 85 year old Mom still watches every game at home on TV. Have met so many great people/MSU fans since my 1st game attended in 1963, ( a loss at Memphis, age 8). Class of 77, son is a Senior at State. It takes guts and love to be a State fan. "We Salute You", (AC/DC) all! Now on to 7-5, at least, with a win over OM. Hail State!

War Machine Dawg
09-24-2022, 02:20 PM
A&M went up 4 points since the portal kicked in? That's not that much difference. Top 5 is all very similar.
I don't see a huge difference.
Here, I see a staff that needs to recruit better and a school that needs to commit to being a good program.

We made a baseball coach and Communist our AD. His first order of business after hiring Leach was to feed Leach to the Woke mob for a meme no sane person could interpret as racial. Then a couple of months later we allowed a mediocre, dumbass running back to hold the football program hostage. We aren't in any way serious about athletics as a university. (And yes, I fully realize the Communists like Beardo will call me names for having the guts to point out obvious truths. We're at the triage stage and they're lost causes not worth arguing with.)

I still hold out hope for baseball but nothing else outside of baseball.

AROB44
09-24-2022, 03:06 PM
We made a baseball coach and Communist our AD. His first order of business after hiring Leach was to feed Leach to the Woke mob for a meme no sane person could interpret as racial. Then a couple of months later we allowed a mediocre, dumbass running back to hold the football program hostage. We aren't in any way serious about athletics as a university. (And yes, I fully realize the Communists like Beardo will call me names for having the guts to point out obvious truths. We're at the triage stage and they're lost causes not worth arguing with.)

I still hold out hope for baseball but nothing else outside of baseball.

Communist.....really? Are you sure you know what a Communist is?

Offshore Dawg
09-24-2022, 05:09 PM
This thread is headed to the dumpster.

BB30
09-24-2022, 05:43 PM
We don't put it under our bed. Our athletics staff almost doubled. With the sec deal came need Internet to hire full time camera men for every sport more administrative positions etc. because every single sport just about has to have their game streamed tennis, softball, all the basketball games both men and women.

Nothing has changed in football money wise, boosters are every school still play the lead in recruiting and we aren't keeping up.

Now, I expect us to be a 6-6 to 8-4 team with a 9+ win team every 3-5 years. But those that have higher expectations need to donate more. I'm not a fan of spending other people's money and I'm ok with understanding we will never have the fanbase or money to compete for dec championships in football every year.