PDA

View Full Version : I've Officially Jumped Ship

msu15
09-17-2022, 08:41 PM
I can't put properly in to words how disappointed I am. I'm at the stadium and this is just miserable. We had a chance to do something that we haven't done since Dan was here by starting the season 3-0 and 1-0 in the SEC and we just flat out blew it. We don't have a guy in that locker room that can wear the jockstrap of Dak, Preston, JRob, Bear, BMac, etc. I thought our team supposedly had a bunch of veteran leadership? This offense is so easy to bottle up that it makes me want to puke. I also wish Arnett wasn't immune to an adjustment. How about a QB spy? What about using a third corner back instead of asking Colin Duncan to press man cover a slot receiver? Tyson Brown is also incredibly overrated as a strength and conditioning coach. C34 you were right. Msstate you were right. Homedawg you were right. I could go on. Leach isn't the guy and once again Cohen fumbled the snap. I'll hang up and go back into read only obscurity. Y'all be good.

msstate7
09-17-2022, 08:42 PM
We don't have a coach like mullen

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2022, 08:43 PM
We tried a spy. Our LBs are slow as hell to the edge and in open field. QB just beat them to the edge. D largely played it's ass off and gave us every opportunity to win until they ran out of gas. Bigger problem is an inability to get home with the pass rush.

I'd absolutely kill for a FOCUSED Mullen with Arnett as his DC. We'd wreck some teams.

R2Dawg
09-17-2022, 08:45 PM
The Titanic is now taking on water.

Be careful getting out of Baton Rouge

Homedawg
09-17-2022, 08:47 PM
I can't put properly in to words how disappointed I am. I'm at the stadium and this is just miserable. We had a chance to do something that we haven't done since Dan was here by starting the season 3-0 and 1-0 in the SEC and we just flat out blew it. We don't have a guy in that locker room that can wear the jockstrap of Dak, Preston, JRob, Bear, BMac, etc. I thought our team supposedly had a bunch of veteran leadership? This offense is so easy to bottle up that it makes me want to puke. I also wish Arnett wasn't immune to an adjustment. How about a QB spy? What about using a third corner back instead of asking Colin Duncan to press man cover a slot receiver? Tyson Brown is also incredibly overrated as a strength and conditioning coach. C34 you were right. Msstate you were right. Homedawg you were right. I could go on. Leach isn't the guy and once again Cohen fumbled the snap. I'll hang up and go back into read only obscurity. Y'all be good.

We did spy at times but a spy is worthless if the spy can't run w him. You can't spy w a db. That's a complete change of defense. But it's a bad loss... again

BlackSailsDawg
09-17-2022, 08:48 PM

LMAO!

WOW!

SailingDawg
09-17-2022, 08:56 PM
Here ya go! (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Fanatics-Branded-Crimson-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Team-Lockup-T-Shirt/911439349)

tcdog70
09-18-2022, 06:13 PM
You Dan lovers make me puke. He couldn’t win at Florida. He averaged 7 wins while at State. 17 Dan. Leach has beat more ranked teams than Dan did in the same time frame. Plus Leach played a full season against SEC teams. Dan lost to South Alabama while wearing shorts.

msstatelp1
09-18-2022, 06:17 PM
You Dan lovers make me puke. He couldn?t win at Florida. He averaged 7 wins while at State. 17 Dan. Leach has beat more ranked teams than Dan did in the same time frame. Plus Leach played a full season against SEC teams. Dan lost to South Alabama while wearing shorts.

Amen

R2Dawg
09-18-2022, 06:33 PM
You Dan lovers make me puke. He couldn?t win at Florida. He averaged 7 wins while at State. 17 Dan. Leach has beat more ranked teams than Dan did in the same time frame. Plus Leach played a full season against SEC teams. Dan lost to South Alabama while wearing shorts.

I'm not a Mullen lover but Dan did some good things and is a good coach. I am not a Leach hater even though I don't like is O style.

So is getting a good win or so a year the only thing that matters? Leach has laid a lot of eggs in 2.3 years. Leach has an overall losing record to date as well, never beat OM.

The other thing is we are less talented now than since the Croom era. I don't think Dan had a team less talented than Leach has had here each year. Dan didn't get the high profile players but he put a ton in NFL and left Moorhead big talent.

What will it be when Leach leaves? JWS left Croom a lot of talent. Mullen left a lot. Croom left Dan nothing but Dixion and a few players.

Everybody has their guy at MSU - from Bellard, Jackie, Mullen or Leach. Don't make it so personal.

Commercecomet24
09-18-2022, 06:38 PM
I'm not a Mullen lover but Dan did some good things and is a good coach. I am not a Leach hater even though I don't like is O style.

So is getting a good win or so a year the only thing that matters? Leach has laid a lot of eggs in 2.3 years. Leach has an overall losing record to date as well, never beat OM.

The other thing is we are less talented now than since the Croom era. I don't think Dan had a team less talented than Leach has had here each year. Dan didn't get the high profile players but he put a ton in NFL and left Moorhead big talent.

What will it be when Leach leaves? JWS left Croom a lot of talent. Mullen left a lot. Croom left Dan nothing but Dixion and a few players.

Everybody has their guy at MSU - from Bellard, Jackie, Mullen or Leach. Don't make it so personal.

You're wrong about croom not leaving Dan talent. 20 players on that 2009 team played in the nfl. Dan had plenty of talent.

dawgday166
09-18-2022, 06:42 PM
You're wrong about croom not leaving Dan talent. 20 players on that 2009 team played in the nfl. Dan had plenty of talent.

I was just contemplating posting this. The Oline Croom left behind was probably Dan's best Oline until 2017. There were 2 very good NFL players at least on that Oline maybe 3 ... not sure I'd have to go check.

Commercecomet24
09-18-2022, 06:44 PM
I was just contemplating posting this. The Oline Croom left behind was probably Dan's best Oline until 2017. There were 2 very good NFL players at least on that Oline maybe 3 ... not sure I'd have to go check.

And the defense was loaded with nfl talent. Now skill position players were lacking accept for Dixon and Ducre, but ol, rbs and defense were talented.

ETA even the 2 deep on that ol was talented.

HoopsDawg
09-18-2022, 06:49 PM
You Dan lovers make me puke. He couldn’t win at Florida. He averaged 7 wins while at State. 17 Dan. Leach has beat more ranked teams than Dan did in the same time frame. Plus Leach played a full season against SEC teams. Dan lost to South Alabama while wearing shorts.

I actually agree with this post. Stop posting about Dan freaking Mullen.

Commercecomet24
09-18-2022, 06:51 PM

Amen! He's gone and he screwed us when he left.

R2Dawg
09-18-2022, 06:54 PM

Yeah I agree. I guess I meant those that were playing and contributing. They were all very young that did big things later. Croom gets some credit I guess although we know what kind of recruiter Croom was.

R2Dawg
09-18-2022, 06:56 PM

Agree but this is what you get when people see no hope in the present or future so they want to go back to the past. If Leach or AD or someone would give some hope for now and future it would change people's perspective.

MSU is tired of sucking.

R2Dawg
09-18-2022, 06:57 PM
For those on the talent issue.

What will Leach leave?

Commercecomet24
09-18-2022, 06:59 PM
Yeah I agree. I guess I meant those that were playing and contributing. They were all very young that did big things later. Croom gets some credit I guess although we know what kind of recruiter Croom was.

Yeah he left us with defense, ol, rbs but the most important position of qb was brutal(although mullen made relf serviceable) the wr position was horrendous, although Brandon McRae stayed on an nfl roster for a couple years. Croom was just pretty much bad all the way around

Really Clark?
09-18-2022, 07:13 PM
Bringing back a coach hardly ever works. Really can't think of one in the modern era. Liked Mullen when he was here but when a coach leaves, it's better to not try relive past success. Mack Brown is trying at NC but I don't see them playing like they did at his peak.

Commercecomet24
09-18-2022, 07:15 PM
Bringing back a coach hardly ever works. Really can't think of one in the modern era. Liked Mullen when he was here but when a coach leaves, it's better to not try relive past success. Mack Brown is trying at NC but I don't see them playing like they did at his peak.

It's rare that it works very true. Bill Snyder and Chris Ault both were successful in their second terms at HC at KSU and Nevada but I can't think of any others

Schultzy
09-18-2022, 07:16 PM

This^^^
I don’t give a f if you don’t want t be here but at least finish coaching the season and that goes for Geoff Collins sorry ass too.

dawgday166
09-18-2022, 07:18 PM
For those on the talent issue.

What will Leach leave?

Hard to tell yet. All of his recruits are Sophs & Frosh. Almost none are playing yet. The players he's playing with now are all Moorhead recruits (excepting NIL players and I'll count Will too since Leach recruited him at WSU). Leach probably won't get to coach his players when they're Seniors since everyone wants him gone after this year.

R2Dawg
09-18-2022, 07:18 PM
Yeah he left us with defense, ol, rbs but the most important position of qb was brutal(although mullen made relf serviceable) the wr position was horrendous, although Brandon McRae stayed on an nfl roster for a couple years. Croom was just pretty much bad all the way around

Dan made us competitive with Tyson Lee first then Relf delivered the Egg Bowl blow.

I don't remember many on the Croom D that played that made the NFL, maybe a few. I think most were young players that came up later and developed.

Goldendawg
09-18-2022, 07:19 PM
We tried a spy. Our LBs are slow as hell to the edge and in open field. QB just beat them to the edge. D largely played it's ass off and gave us every opportunity to win until they ran out of gas. Bigger problem is an inability to get home with the pass rush.

I'd absolutely kill for a FOCUSED Mullen with Arnett as his DC. We'd wreck some teams.

Dan was mainly focused on his annual job search (and what did it get him?), after he got destroyed every year by bama and didn't prepare for OM. Tell me again what his record was against Top 25 opponents. I'll wait.

Goldendawg
09-18-2022, 07:22 PM
Here ya go! (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Fanatics-Branded-Crimson-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Team-Lockup-T-Shirt/911439349)

What is that golden object as your avatar? Haven't seen it in the Football Bldg in a while.

Really Clark?
09-18-2022, 07:23 PM
It's rare that it works very true. Bill Snyder and Chris Ault both were successful in their second terms at HC at KSU and Nevada but I can't think of any others

I remembered Ault but was thinking of P5 programs. He actually coached them 3 different times I believe. Forgot Synder though. Not quite as good as the first time through but pretty dang close.

Commercecomet24
09-18-2022, 07:26 PM
Dan made us competitive with Tyson Lee first then Relf delivered the Egg Bowl blow.

I don't remember many on the Croom D that played that made the NFL, maybe a few. I think most were young players that came up later and developed.

11 players on the 2 deep on that 2009 defense made nfl rosters. Johnathan Banks, Jamar Chaney, KJ Wright, Chris White, Kyle Love, Josh Boyd, Pernell McPhee, Fletcher Cox, Charles Mitchell, Corey Broomfield, Cameron Lawrence. That 2 deep was loaded with talent. Banks, Broomfield, Chaney, Wright, White, Boyd, Love, McPhee, Mitchell were all starters. 9 starters made nfl rosters and most played for years.

BlackSailsDawg
09-18-2022, 07:27 PM

Dan left us empty. Dan won 7 game per year. It took dan from 2009 to 2014 to crap the bed with his best team against bama and then Ole Miss. He never reach that again.

Commercecomet24
09-18-2022, 07:28 PM
I remembered Ault but was thinking of P5 programs. He actually coached them 3 different times I believe. Forgot Synder though. Not quite as good as the first time through but pretty dang close.

Yeah there haven't been many that made it good the second time around. I really liked Ault, he could coach.

Tater
09-18-2022, 07:29 PM
11 players on the 2 deep on defense made nfl rosters. Johnathan Banks, Jamar Chaney, KJ Wright, Chris White, Kyle Love, Josh Boyd, Pernell McPhee, Fletcher Cox, Charles Mitchell, Cameron Lawrence. That 2 deep was loaded with talent. Banks, Chaney, Wright, White, Boyd, Love, McPhee, Mitchell were all starters. 8 starters made nfl rosters and most played for years.

2010 with Cam is an undefeated team. Sickening not to give him the money considering where the sport has gone since.

Commercecomet24
09-18-2022, 07:31 PM
2010 with Cam is an undefeated team. Sickening not to give him the money considering where the sport has gone since.

100% agree. The amount of talent on the defensive side of the ball and the ol would've been hard to beat!

dawgday166
09-18-2022, 07:31 PM

If we had done that, made the NC game, and it came out the couple of weeks before NC game .... NCAA would've booted our ass out of NC game and stuck Bama in it. And the SEC would've been behind that 100%.

Really Clark?
09-18-2022, 07:32 PM
Yeah there haven't been many that made it good the second time around. I really liked Ault, he could coach.

Yes he could

BlackSailsDawg
09-18-2022, 07:33 PM

YEP!!!!!

Goldendawg
09-18-2022, 07:34 PM
Agree but this is what you get when people see no hope in the present or future so they want to go back to the past. If Leach or AD or someone would give some hope for now and future it would change people's perspective.

MSU is tired of sucking.

Our"AD" is an in-house promoted, ex-baseball coach, who has been in over his head since day one, although he did sit in on a few meetings to interview coaching candidates before his promotion and he did "stay at a Holiday Inn a few nights" therefore making him the smartest person in all rooms in his non-humble opinion. Our coaching hires and the so called Game Day Experience have been jokes during his time in this very important position. I rank him right down there with Larry.

Schultzy
09-18-2022, 08:09 PM
We should acknowledge that Dan Mullen was an absolutely a net positive for MSU. Especially since he had to recruit against Freeze
in the anything goes era.

tcdog70
09-19-2022, 08:24 AM
We should acknowledge that Dan Mullen was an absolutely a net positive for MSU. Especially since he had to recruit against Freeze
in the anything goes era.

2 things helped Dan--Dak and he followed the worst Coach in SEC history.

CaptainObvious
09-19-2022, 10:36 AM

I may have reading comprehension issues, but I think y?all both just made the point about Mullen being a good coach. How you ask?

He took an offensive line that Croom brought in that was absolutely destroyed by most opponents in 2008, and these eyes witnessed in person that Oline getting run slap over in the 48-0 2008 Egg Bowl where State had negative rushing yards and less than 150 total yards of offense, and with the help of a pedestrian Oline Coach, turned them into NFL quality linemen in less than 2 years! They weren?t talented, but they became talented under Mullen.

msudawglb
09-19-2022, 10:40 AM
I'm not going to pile on the current coach or praise a past coach. In just looking at this current team, we have some glaring issues. Our LB's are slow. Teams that utilize speed side to side will kill us. This is mostly why Ole Miss has been beating us. We have ZERO pass rush. Our mostly 3 star and occasional 4 star DL is not getting it done. Having an offense that does not utilize a mobile QB is bad. Two problems here. Our current starter is the slowest person I've ever seen and our coach will not utilize a mobile QB (if we had one). I don't have problem with the offense, but damn, if we had a QB that could keep it and run at least 5 times a game, things would open up more for the WR. And the WR's can't catch a damn cold. So many crucial drops.

1) Mobile QB with some occasional runs
2) Pressure the QB with better DL
3) Faster LB's
4) WR's who can catch a pass

We are a 6-6 team at best. If we had those above, we are a 10-2 team.

PikeDawg15
09-19-2022, 10:45 AM
I'm not going to pile on the current coach or praise a past coach. In just looking at this current team, we have some glaring issues. Our LB's are slow. Teams that utilize speed side to side will kill us. This is mostly why Ole Miss has been beating us. We have ZERO pass rush. Our mostly 3 star and occasional 4 star DL is not getting it done. Having an offense that does not utilize a mobile QB is bad. Two problems here. Our current starter is the slowest person I've ever seen and our coach will not utilize a mobile QB (if we had one). I don't have problem with the offense, but damn, if we had a QB that could keep it and run at least 5 times a game, things would open up more for the WR. And the WR's can't catch a damn cold. So many crucial drops.

1) Mobile QB with some occasional runs
2) Pressure the QB with better DL
3) Faster LB's
4) WR's who can catch a pass

We are a 6-6 team at best. If we had those above, we are a 10-2 team.

#1 is the biggest problem. It just is and people will defend Will like he's their son. But damn if you look around the country it seems like everyone from Alabama to East New Mexico A&M has a QB that can scramble out of the pocket when the pocket collapses, look downfield , decide whether to throw or run for positive yards. We are the only school in the SEC that cant do that and its like trying to run with a Cinder Block Chained to your leg.

dawgman15
09-19-2022, 10:49 AM
I have defended Will many many times on this board but the 4th down running plays when LSU was clearly sending more than we were guarding with is hard to defend. Leach says he called that but I thought it was the qbs job to adjust, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they were looking for us to run on the 2nd and 3rd 4th downs we went for

Commercecomet24
09-19-2022, 10:50 AM
I may have reading comprehension issues, but I think y?all both just made the point about Mullen being a good coach. How you ask?

He took an offensive line that Croom brought in that was absolutely destroyed by most opponents in 2008, and these eyes witnessed in person that Oline getting run slap over in the 48-0 2008 Egg Bowl where State had negative rushing yards and less than 150 total yards of offense, and with the help of a pedestrian Oline Coach, turned them into NFL quality linemen in less than 2 years! They weren?t talented, but they became talented under Mullen.

Mullen is absolutely a good developer of talent and talent evaluator(and great qb developer). Not a good recruiter or ingame coach. He would make a great analyst for someone. As a head coach he has a ceiling. He'll beat who he's supposed to beat and lose to the better teams, you can set your watch by him.

dawgman15
09-19-2022, 10:51 AM
If we rehired Dan Mullen I would no longer support Mississippi State University athletics

Commercecomet24
09-19-2022, 11:00 AM
I have defended Will many many times on this board but the 4th down running plays when LSU was clearly sending more than we were guarding with is hard to defend. Leach says he called that but I thought it was the qbs job to adjust, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they were looking for us to run on the 2nd and 3rd 4th downs we went for

Yeah those 2 4th down plays killed us. We convert those and we're on our way to a comfortable victory. Leach has said he only signals in the play but the QB has the freedom to change it, in fact I remember him telling Minshew "You're the one on the bleeping field, you're looking face to face with the bleeping defense, change the bleeping play!" It was a simple matter of counting. 7 in the box on both those plays, 5 blockers and we ran right into the strength of the defense on both plays. And if Will would've kept the ball on those 2 plays he could've run forever, but teams know he's never gonna pull it so they just ignore him.

And I like Will, he just needed to make some better calls at the los in those situations. It happens, but if you're gonna beat the teams in the sec you can't have those screwups in game situations.

basedog
09-19-2022, 11:18 AM
Yeah those 2 4th down plays killed us. We convert those and we're on our way to a comfortable victory. Leach has said he only signals in the play but the QB has the freedom to change it, in fact I remember him telling Minshew "You're the one on the bleeping field, you're looking face to face with the bleeping defense, change the bleeping play!" It was a simple matter of counting. 7 in the box on both those plays, 5 blockers and we ran right into the strength of the defense on both plays. And if Will would've kept the ball on those 2 plays he could've run forever, but teams know he's never gonna pull it so they just ignore him.

And I like Will, he just needed to make some better calls at the los in those situations. It happens, but if you're gonna beat the teams in the sec you can't have those screwups in game situations.

Yep, it gave Lsu life and kinda drained any momentum we had in our running game. Tell me a tight end couldn't help in those situations and a full back.

The Federalist Engineer
09-19-2022, 11:58 AM

This shirt probably makes Millions of dollars per year for Alabama

Goldendawg
09-19-2022, 12:11 PM
Mullen is absolutely a good developer of talent and talent evaluator(and great qb developer). Not a good recruiter or ingame coach. He would make a great analyst for someone. As a head coach he has a ceiling. He'll beat who he's supposed to beat and lose to the better teams, you can set your watch by him.

You got that right. He is now an analyst for a college football network broadcast team and he did it to himself.

Goldendawg
09-19-2022, 12:14 PM

Not forever, he would have quickly been caught from behind with LSU's speed, but 1st down yardage would have been easily obtained.

Catfish
09-19-2022, 12:16 PM

With the NIL money and portal don't you think this would make someone like Mullen obsolete now? It's all about play me now with these guys. Just think the portal and NIL will stop a lot of developing players now. I hope not.

Commercecomet24
09-19-2022, 12:19 PM
Not forever, he would have quickly been caught from behind with LSU's speed, but 1st down yardage would have been easily obtained.

You're right about that, forever was way over the top, lol! But definitely couldve picked up 4-5 yards. Of course one could argue 4-5 yards for Will is forever, lol!

Commercecomet24
09-19-2022, 12:22 PM
With the NIL money and portal don't you think this would make someone like Mullen obsolete now? It's all about play me now with these guys. Just think the portal and NIL will stop a lot of developing players now. I hope not.

There'll always be a place for a great talent evaluator and developer. I'm just not sure Dan's really interested in doing it anymore. He's happy with his little gig as an analyst, which doesn't require much time, and following Cannon around the golf course. I don't think he has the drive left to do it anymore. Speaking of Cannon have you seen that boy? His legs and arms look like toothpicks. That kid is scrawny.

Catfish
09-19-2022, 12:25 PM
There'll always be a place for a great talent evaluator and developer. I'm just not sure Dan's really interested in doing it anymore. He's happy with his little gig as an analyst, which doesn't require much time, and following Cannon around the golf course. I don't think he has the drive left to do it anymore. Speaking of Cannon have you seen that boy? His legs and arms look like toothpicks. That kid is scrawny.

LOL, yeah there's not much meat on his bones.

Goldendawg
09-19-2022, 12:26 PM

Developmental football is dead in the NIL, play me now, or I hit the portal world. We will lose several after this year win or lose. One thing the NCAA doesn't acknowledge if the high % of these transfers who are not finding a landing spot and thus no continued educational opportunity on scholarship. Most of these guys won't sniff the NFL and are blowing a life changing opportunity,

Catfish
09-19-2022, 12:31 PM
Developmental football is dead in the NIL, play me now, or I hit the portal world. We will lose several after this year win or lose. One thing the NCAA doesn't acknowledge if the high % of these transfers who are not finding a landing spot and thus no continued educational opportunity on scholarship. Most of these guys won't sniff the NFL and are blowing a life changing opportunity,

Yup, this NIL opened up a can of worms. We won't know the lasting effects of this for a while. Long ago education was still somewhat of a priority with athletes and universities. I just hope people smarter than us are looking at solutions.

PikeDawg15
09-19-2022, 12:33 PM

Dan will be back in college football, he's only in his 50's. Once his kids grow up and get older he will definitely want to get back in the game.

maybe at a lower tier power 5 job like a Duke or Kansas or Vanderbilt and he can make them a 6-6 team and they would be happy with that.

Goldendawg
09-19-2022, 12:39 PM
Dan will be back in college football, he's only in his 50's. Once his kids grow up and get older he will definitely want to get back in the game.

maybe at a lower tier power 5 job like a Duke or Kansas or Vanderbilt and he can make them a 6-6 team and they would be happy with that.

With his ego, he would never settle for those you listed. He has plenty of $ and will wait for a desperate, pretty big name school who needs a big name coach. Hail State!

Barkman Turner Overdrive
09-19-2022, 02:25 PM
Amen! He's gone and he screwed us when he left.

And he is NOT coming back. Neither party is interested in the other. I seriously doubt Dopey Dan would even take a phone call from Cohen.

BB30
09-20-2022, 06:43 AM
Leach may not be the guy but he isn't the main problem. We don't have the $$$ or fan support to consistently compete for sec west titles. We are actually overachieving in football relative to what is spent on football yearly.

Jimbo fisher just about makes more than our HC, OC and DC put together. You can say money isn't the issue but look at who usually wins championships and how much money goes into the recruiting budget etc. we are 13th in recruiting spending in the SEC. Several teams spend 4-5 times what we do on recruiting. Ole miss is a good bit further ahead in this category as well.

We usually finish somewhere between 25-35 in recruiting and we usually finish somewhere around there in rankings at seasons end and usually finish ahead of where we should in the SEC.

Not saying Leach isn't part of the problem, I don't know. What I do know is

1. A revolving door at the HC position is rough on blue bloods it's going to be exceptionally harder for us

2. We don't have the fan base or monetary booster support to compete for a west championship regularly. Best case every 3-5 years we have a team that can win 9-10 games. We are fortunate the state of Mississippi produces some elite football talent otherwise we'd be even worse off.

Gypsy_RoadDawg
09-20-2022, 07:09 AM
We're only three games into the season way too early to be jumping ship. Let's get to game 7 or 8 and then re-evaluate. I would like to see Sawyer get in there and see what he has to offer.