PDA

View Full Version : I am one of the biggest Leach supporters around but he needs to stop this BS...

99jc
09-13-2022, 08:57 AM
Mississippi State football?s kicking woes made their first appearance in Saturday?s trip to Arizona. Though MSU pulled away for a 39-17 win, Massimo Biscardi?s two missed extra points served as a harsh reminder of last season?s struggles.

But Ben Raybon settled concerns in relief. He made three extra point attempts, a pair of field goals and recorded eight touchbacks in as many kickoffs.

However, coach Mike Leach didn?t commit to Raybon being the starter ahead of MSU's trip to LSU (1-1) on Saturday (5 p.m., ESPN).

?I?m not sure,? Leach said Monday. ?I think he certainly did some good things. We'll see in practice and evaluate.?

Leach joked Saturday about needing to recruit holders capable of handling lefty kickers. That role belongs to punter Archer Trafford, who had experience with a lefty at Air Force.

Raybon transferred to MSU (2-0) in January from Northern Colorado, where he made 8 of 14 field goals in 2021.

I think the evaluation should be done in the game itself....RAYBON checked all the boxes under pressure what else do you need? Come on man!

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2022, 09:03 AM
Mississippi State football?s kicking woes made their first appearance in Saturday?s trip to Arizona. Though MSU pulled away for a 39-17 win, Massimo Biscardi?s two missed extra points served as a harsh reminder of last season?s struggles.

But Ben Raybon settled concerns in relief. He made three extra point attempts, a pair of field goals and recorded eight touchbacks in as many kickoffs.

However, coach Mike Leach didn?t commit to Raybon being the starter ahead of MSU's trip to LSU (1-1) on Saturday (5 p.m., ESPN).

?I?m not sure,? Leach said Monday. ?I think he certainly did some good things. We'll see in practice and evaluate.?

Leach joked Saturday about needing to recruit holders capable of handling lefty kickers. That role belongs to punter Archer Trafford, who had experience with a lefty at Air Force.

Raybon transferred to MSU (2-0) in January from Northern Colorado, where he made 8 of 14 field goals in 2021.

I think the evaluation should be done in the game itself....RAYBON checked all the boxes under pressure what else do you need? Come on man!

And what if Raybon shanks the majority of his kicks in practice this week? Would you feel comfortable with him at that point? No, you wouldn't.
Both Raybon and Maximus Bacardi are 5th year Seniors - they know the drill. If they can't get it done then next man up.

Matt3467
09-13-2022, 09:42 AM
Apparently Biscardi has a history of missing XPs. He was supposed to be a huge boost in our woeful kicking department. We're the only team out of 130 that have missed two XPs. The only other team that is doing worse is East Carolina and they've missed 3. Ordinarily I'd say he just had a horrible night but with how bad he missed them and seeing he's no stranger to it we need someone sure footed and Raybon filled in nicely hitting all 3 XPs and both FGs.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2022, 10:08 AM
Biscardi has a history of missed xps every one knew that coming in. He also has a history of being money in clutch situations and long fgs. Raybon looked good Saturday night so leach is doing what he should and making them compete. Leach makes it known no ones job is safe and you can be benched if you don't produce. He's making them compete for the job as he should. We've had coached in past who would just keep rolling people out there with better people sitting behind them. I like how leach doesn't let anyone get comfortable

TrapGame
09-13-2022, 10:09 AM
I think that's just Leach being Leach. I'd bet Raybon is the guy going forward. Massimo may get some PAT tries vs Bowling Green but I'd be a little shocked if Leach has him kicking vs LSU.

R2Dawg
09-13-2022, 10:38 AM
Leach had how many years to fix kicking? Whatever happens, Leach is responsible. Why do so many continue to give a HC a pass on utter failure?

The victim mentality and no accountability of our culture today I guess. Someone is responsible and it is the guy we pay millions a year to field a competitive football team.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2022, 10:45 AM
Leach had how many years to fix kicking? Whatever happens, Leach is responsible. Why do so many continue to give a HC a pass on utter failure?

The victim mentality and no accountability of our culture today I guess. Someone is responsible and it is the guy we pay millions a year to field a competitive football team.

I'm certainly not giving leach a pass.
He brought in Ruiz his first year and Ruiz was money so first year was excellent so not a failure at all in 2020 in fact best kicking game we've had in awhile. Ruiz got hurt last year and was never the same and his backup was terrible so last year was a bad year. He brought in 4 kickers this year and he's making them compete so he's trying to fix the problem and it's too early to call this year an utter failure. 2020 kicking game was very good, 21 not so much, 22 still to early

R2Dawg
09-13-2022, 10:53 AM
I'm certainly not giving leach a pass.
He brought in Ruiz his first year and Ruiz was money so first year was excellent so not a failure at all in 2020 in fact best kicking game we've had in awhile. Ruiz got hurt last year and was never the same and his backup was terrible so last year was a bad year. He brought in 4 kickers this year and he's making them compete so he's trying to fix the problem and it's too early to call this year an utter failure. 2020 kicking game was very good, 21 not so much, 22 still to early

Yeah I wasn't aiming comments at anyone in particular but I see these type things in every Leach thread. I agree with your post, yeah he tried some stuff but something is what he is doing - other coaches, something isn't working. Maybe it isn't a priority or he has the wrong coach he has trusted to find a kicker?

CovertDawg
09-13-2022, 11:04 AM
Raybon was 8-14 on FG last year at Nothern Colorado. He looked awesome on Saturday but Leach knows that is just one game.

Hot Rock
09-13-2022, 11:16 AM
Almost every coach has kicking woes from time to time.

All A&M had to do was hit a 47 yarder and they would have tied it up with 4 minutes to go vs App State. Saban has had plenty of kicking problems over the years.

Thing is: with scholarship limitations the way they are, you hate to devote scholarships to them because so many end up being busts.

Leach addressed it by getting several new kickers here and making them compete. Will it work, I hope so. Kicking can be an issue any given day.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2022, 11:19 AM
Yeah I wasn't aiming comments at anyone in particular but I see these type things in every Leach thread. I agree with your post, yeah he tried some stuff but something is what he is doing - other coaches, something isn't working. Maybe it isn't a priority or he has the wrong coach he has trusted to find a kicker?

I agree kicking can be frustrating but I will say if you watch a lot of college football, kickers are a crap shoot. Heck even the golden boy Saban with all his gazillion coaches and analysts has had problems with reliable kickers in the past. Kicking in college football just isn't consistent pretty much anywhere. I'm just glad at least leach is trying to find one. Biscardi has a history of being a money kicker on fgs in clutch and long situations but everyone pretty much knew his history with xps. He's almost like a great 3 point shooter who can't hit free throws. Anyway I know we're all hoping our kicking issues get solved and quickly

Matt3467
09-13-2022, 11:25 AM

'86-90 with Felker: 53/82 (65%) on FGs & 97/106 (92%) on XPs

'91-03 with Sherrill: 163/256 (64%) on FGs & 317/337 (94%) on XPs

'04-08 with Croom: 36/60 (60%) on FGs & 121/123 (98%) on XPs

'09-17 with Dan: 117/173 (68%) on FGs & 421/433 (97%) on XPs

'18-19 with Joe: 21/28 (75%) on FGs & 91/92 (99%) on XPs

'20-present with Leach: 26/39 (67%) on FGs & 81/83 (98%) on XPs

I think Leach is doing fine.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2022, 11:29 AM

You know it's amazing that everyone considered Jackie a special teams guru(and I love Jackie) but our kicking game(fg and xps) was really average to below average with him.

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2022, 11:38 AM
I agree kicking can be frustrating but I will say if you watch a lot of college football, kickers are a crap shoot. Heck even the golden boy Saban with all his gazillion coaches and analysts has had problems with reliable kickers in the past. Kicking in college football just isn't consistent pretty much anywhere. I'm just glad at least leach is trying to find one. Biscardi has a history of being a money kicker on fgs in clutch and long situations but everyone pretty much knew his history with xps. He's almost like a great 3 point shooter who can't hit free throws. Anyway I know we're all hoping our kicking issues get solved and quickly

And Biscardi's issues with PATs aren't even THAT bad - he missed 9 over his first 3 seasons and 1 last year. Career wise that's about the same % as Hazelwood & Westerfield. We have had some great PAT guys of late who never missed like Ruiz but FG have always an adventure. Christman is our best ever and he still missed 20% of his FG attempts.

But just to show how universal that is - Kevin Butler - one of the best ever - only made 78% of his FG at UGA.

Matt3467
09-13-2022, 11:42 AM
You know it's amazing that everyone considered Jackie a special teams guru(and I love Jackie) but our kicking game(fg and xps) was really average to below average with him.

Yea the numbers surprised me too. We had statistically our worst year in 35 years (furthest I went back) kicking fgs under him in 1996 we were 8/18. Next up would've been under Mullen in 2013 where we went 10/21.

R2Dawg
09-13-2022, 11:45 AM

Good homework but the numbers don't tell the whole story. Some missed kicks not kickers fault - snap, blocking, etc.

Many of those misses are way out hard angle. You can't do a single data comparison. I been watching for about 45 years and kicking is as bad as I've every seen it.

R2Dawg
09-13-2022, 11:47 AM

JWS was ST (kicking being part of that). He had the mad Dawgs kickoff team. He won some big games on kicks. Again the numbers don't tell the whole story.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2022, 11:52 AM
JWS was ST (kicking being part of that). He had the mad Dawgs kickoff team. He won some big games on kicks. Again the numbers don't tell the whole story.

I agree Jackie was good at other parts of special teams but fg kicking was always an adventure and that's the one I was referring too.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2022, 11:54 AM
And Biscardi's issues with PATs aren't even THAT bad - he missed 9 over his first 3 seasons and 1 last year. Career wise that's about the same % as Hazelwood & Westerfield. We have had some great PAT guys of late who never missed like Ruiz but FG have always an adventure. Christman is our best ever and he still missed 20% of his FG attempts.

But just to show how universal that is - Kevin Butler - one of the best ever - only made 78% of his FG at UGA.

Yeah if you only watch us you feel like we're the only one with kicking problems when it's pretty much all over cfb.

DEDawg
09-13-2022, 12:25 PM
Biscardi has a history of missed xps every one knew that coming in. He also has a history of being money in clutch situations and long fgs. Raybon looked good Saturday night so leach is doing what he should and making them compete. Leach makes it known no ones job is safe and you can be benched if you don't produce. He's making them compete for the job as he should. We've had coached in past who would just keep rolling people out there with better people sitting behind them. I like how leach doesn't let anyone get comfortable

I don?t understand why we don?t just let Biscardi kick FG and Raybon kick XP. Who cares if it?s unconventional, this isn?t the NFL we don?t have to have 53 active we can carry 2 kickers every game day for exactly this.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-13-2022, 12:26 PM

BRING BACK JOE!!! LOL

PikeDawg15
09-13-2022, 12:33 PM
I don?t understand why we don?t just let Biscardi kick FG and Raybon kick XP. Who cares if it?s unconventional, this isn?t the NFL we don?t have to have 53 active we can carry 2 kickers every game day for exactly this.

I was going to say that but I think it comes down to sort of a consistency at kicking, if a guy has not kicked anything at all the entire game then having him come in during the 4th quarter to make a 45 yarder is tougher than him having already kicked 2-3 xp's earlier in the game and having a feel for it . If you know what I mean

BlackSailsDawg
09-13-2022, 12:36 PM
BRING BACK JOE!!! LOL

LOL!!!!

Commercecomet24
09-13-2022, 12:38 PM

Very good question and one that I've pondered myself although Raybon looked really good Saturday night and he does have a big leg

BlackSailsDawg
09-13-2022, 12:47 PM
Very good question and one that I've pondered myself although Raybon looked really good Saturday night and he does have a big leg

Massive leg. A few of those kick offs were close to the stands!

Here it is though. He is going to put the best person out there he has. He has shown it over and over no matter what position.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2022, 12:54 PM
Massive leg. A few of those kick offs were close to the stands!

Here it is though. He is going to put the best person out there he has. He has shown it over and over no matter what position.

Truth. One of the great things about leach is he puts the best on the field regardless of star rankings, class, last name etc. He just wants production.

Catfish
09-13-2022, 01:23 PM
Truth. One of the great things about leach is he puts the best on the field regardless of star rankings, class, last name etc. He just wants production.

Agreed. This very thing though is what got him in trouble at Texas Tech. Craig James was complaining to the admin and anyone who would lister. Glad that's not a problem here.

FISHDAWG
09-14-2022, 07:42 AM
which one of these kickers was it that went to somebody's school of kicking ? .... Was rated high by whatever standards they use ... I remember a thread about it several months ago when whoever he was transferred in and CC said he was from something like the equivalent of the Manning School of QB's but it was for kickers instead ..... which one of these guys was that thread about ?

Commercecomet24
09-14-2022, 10:36 AM
which one of these kickers was it that went to somebody's school of kicking ? .... Was rated high by whatever standards they use ... I remember a thread about it several months ago when whoever he was transferred in and CC said he was from something like the equivalent of the Manning School of QB's but it was for kickers instead ..... which one of these guys was that thread about ?

That was Gabriel Plascencia from California but he transferred in the spring

TheLostDawg
09-14-2022, 05:57 PM

Was a walk on if I remember correctly