PDA

View Full Version : CML Monday presser

Leroy Jenkins
09-12-2022, 08:47 PM
https://youtu.be/MQiagMNwjbA

Lord McBuckethead
09-12-2022, 08:56 PM
I am rewatching the game, if a DB intercepts the ball, and his toes touch in bounds first safely, that is a pick. I don?t care if his heel does anything different. Same as if you slide your toes across the turf on the way out. That is a dumb rule. Either you have to establish possession in bounds or not.

CaptainObvious
09-12-2022, 09:11 PM
The rules analyst on the broadcast said that had he 13 had the presence of mind to toe tap instead of full step plant, it would have stood as an int. Like you said, the negative of that rule is that a person catching the ball has to be facing the sidelines to be able to successfully toe tap. Not physically possible to be backing out of bounds and toe tap.

BeardoMSU
09-12-2022, 09:24 PM
I am rewatching the game, if a DB intercepts the ball, and his toes touch in bounds first safely, that is a pick. I don?t care if his heel does anything different. Same as if you slide your toes across the turf on the way out. That is a dumb rule. Either you have to establish possession in bounds or not.

Yeah, it's stupid. Makes no sense.

Mjoelner34
09-12-2022, 09:27 PM
Ole Miss had a TD overturned in our 31-3 Eggbowl win several years ago for this very thing.

BeardoMSU
09-12-2022, 09:29 PM
Ole Miss had a TD overturned in our 31-3 Eggbowl win several years ago for this very thing.

Well, it was a good rule on that day.**

redstickdawg
09-12-2022, 09:58 PM
Well, it was a good rule on that day.**

I remember it well hootie's last game as a coach. prevented tsun from scoring a TD

thf24
09-13-2022, 08:20 AM
The crux of the issue to me is that if the bottom of the foot matters in any case, then it should matter in all cases. Logically, a toe tap with the top of the foot should not ever count if what Forbes did didn't count. Dragging your toe on the ground while falling forward onto your face isn't a "natural stepping motion" in any sense whatsoever.

TXDawg
09-13-2022, 09:51 AM
What about a ball carrier running down the sideline..on a given stride, his heel lands inbounds, but his toes are out? He’s ruled out of bounds.

Similarly, a receiver running perpendicular to the sideline catches the ball and his heel lands in, but his toes are over the line…incomplete pass, right?

It’s an odd rule in the scenario that happened against AZ, but it’s applied consistently throughout the game.

Jack Lambert
09-13-2022, 11:08 AM
I wish Leach would get that hair ball out of his throat. ********

thf24
09-13-2022, 12:05 PM
What about a ball carrier running down the sideline..on a given stride, his heel lands inbounds, but his toes are out? He’s ruled out of bounds.

Similarly, a receiver running perpendicular to the sideline catches the ball and his heel lands in, but his toes are over the line…incomplete pass, right?

It’s an odd rule in the scenario that happened against AZ, but it’s applied consistently throughout the game.

There are two completely different sets of rules regarding out of bounds for an established ball carrier and a player attempting to catch a forward pass. If any part of a ball carrier's body touches out of bounds at any time, he's out, so I don't think that's relevant here.

If a player secures a pass with a toe in bounds and no part of his body touched out of bounds prior to that moment, and the result of the play can either be a catch or an incompletion depending simply on what the next part of his body to touch out of bounds is, that's not consistency.

Westdawg
09-13-2022, 12:25 PM
There are two completely different sets of rules regarding out of bounds for an established ball carrier and a player attempting to catch a forward pass. If any part of a ball carrier's body touches out of bounds at any time, he's out, so I don't think that's relevant here.

If a player secures a pass with a toe in bounds and no part of his body touched out of bounds prior to that moment, and the result of the play can either be a catch or an incompletion depending simply on what the next part of his body to touch out of bounds is, that's not consistency.

Bingo

chef dixon
09-13-2022, 07:36 PM
It's a really stupid rule and it negated an amazing football play. Basically just have to assume a foot would come down out of bounds. Well guess what? It didn't.