PDA

View Full Version : Looking to our next game @LSU

Matt3467
09-12-2022, 10:23 AM
One thing that has me worried is how to contain the QB run. Looking back at our game with AZ I couldn't believe the amount of open grass De Laura had yet he chose to not run. I think it's a closer game if he runs. The LSU QB is a scrambler so we've got to tighten up.

TrapGame
09-12-2022, 10:27 AM
Jayden runs because his OL is average at best. The center is playing his first college downs. IIRC, the LT is a redshirt freshman. FSU's defensive front was living in LSU's backfield all night. We'll have a fast guy on JD.

smootness
09-12-2022, 10:34 AM
You think we may have allowed the space to scramble because we know De Laura won’t?

Lord McBuckethead
09-12-2022, 10:34 AM
I say keep him in the pocket at all cost. We have whiffed on tackling a QB in the backfield enough already this year to fill up a highlight reel. Keep him in the pocket, and tighten our coverage just a smidge, let the interceptions create themselves.
If we can collapse the pocket on him, maybe there is a chance. LSU is going to try to run the ball on us, that will help us to maintain a QB spy.

PikeDawg15
09-12-2022, 10:38 AM
This game will be the catalyse for our potential big season..... damn this game does scare me tho... tiger stadium at night where dreams go to die....

Put a spy on Daniels, I don't think he can beat us down field if we don't give him time in the pocket and don't let him scramble, I don't think they will be able to establish a ground and pound game on our offense line.

Arizona had 1 rushing yard after that first drive.... interesting stat line. The only reason Arizona got 17 points was we gave them short fields off of turnovers.

BlackSailsDawg
09-12-2022, 10:38 AM
Jayden runs because his OL is average at best. The center is playing his first college downs. IIRC, the LT is a redshirt freshman. FSU's defensive front was living in LSU's backfield all night. We'll have a fast guy on JD.

We hope.

We can not over look 78.3% completion ratio either. 5 TDs /no INTs. I get that he was in for very little against Southern and completed 10/11... because it's Southern. But the "close competition" QB that got the back up job, he was only 13/23. QBR of 18 against Southern with 2 INTs.

He was 74% against FSU.

Point being he is going to be the first real challenge for this defense. Bringing him down quickly is going to be key. the DBs staying on their assignments. etc.

Lord McBuckethead
09-12-2022, 10:40 AM
well I hope we do not give free possessions to LSU on the short field. We have to protect the ball.

msstate7
09-12-2022, 10:46 AM
We hope.

We can not over look 78.3% completion ratio either. 5 TDs /no INTs. I get that he was in for very little against Southern and completed 10/11... because it's Southern. But the "close competition" QB that got the back up job, he was only 13/23. QBR of 18 against Southern with 2 INTs.

He was 74% against FSU.

Point being he is going to be the first real challenge for this defense. Bringing him down quickly is going to be key. the DBs staying on their assignments. etc.

After lsu started the 2nd half vs fsu with a 3 and out, daniels is 27/33 passing

ShotgunDawg
09-12-2022, 10:51 AM
Facing De Laura was a wonderful warm up for Daniels.

Really gives our defense a chance to correct some mistakes on a mobile QB before facing one that can really run

PikeDawg15
09-12-2022, 10:55 AM

Really gives our defense a chance to correct some mistakes on a mobile QB before facing one that can really run

de laura would always try to find someone down the field instead of taking the 1st down. Daniels will take the 1st down everytime.

I trust rogers to keep the offense scoring points .

PikeDawg15
09-12-2022, 10:55 AM
in a game like this we cant GULP*** have any missed kicks GULP****

msstate7
09-12-2022, 10:56 AM

I agree with this, but daniels is a much better runner. de Laura hasn't avg'd 2 yards a carry any year, and daniels has between 5-6 the last 2 seasons... on that pace again this season.

Matt3467
09-12-2022, 10:58 AM
You think we may have allowed the space to scramble because we know De Laura won’t?

I was reading an article after the game that was saying De Laura needed to run more and that he said during training camp that he would run if he needed to. He didn't really need to vs SDSU but he absolutely needed to vs us.

Cooterpoot
09-12-2022, 10:58 AM
I think we might lose this one. We probably shouldn't, We're good enough to win it, but we haven't played well enough so far and it's a tough place to win. That long haul cross country to AZ is tough too. We just aren't consistent. But I expect a tight game. Hopefully we find a way to play 4 qtrs and win it. Just don't have high confidence in this team yet.

Matt3467
09-12-2022, 10:59 AM
in a game like this we cant GULP*** have any missed kicks GULP****

I think Biscardi may have lost his job Saturday night.

KOdawg1
09-12-2022, 11:00 AM
Gotta keep him in the pocket. If not, it'll be a long night

BlackSailsDawg
09-12-2022, 11:02 AM
de laura would always try to find someone down the field instead of taking the 1st down. Daniels will take the 1st down everytime.

I trust rogers to keep the offense scoring points .

I trust this offense to help the defense in scoring and keeping LSU's TOP to as low as possible.

Cowbell
09-12-2022, 11:02 AM
Yep - this is a chance for Arnette to really show us how good he is

BlackSailsDawg
09-12-2022, 11:13 AM
Yep - this is a chance for Arnette to really show us how good he is

Our Defense has a few weaknesses. We are much more improved, but still have a few spots of concerns. The speed at LB is one of them. They make up for that in IQ, but they are going to lose some battles. I think we need to play very disciplined on the edges and that helps containment too as support to that. Next is depth at the CBs. After 2 weeks, Furdge is lost. He is not keeping up with his assignments.

But we also get a rested Crumedy back too.

PMDawg
09-12-2022, 11:14 AM
This game is about to answer a lot of questions. I've been critical of our DL, and I'm still pretty skeptical on them. At the snap of the ball, they just run into the offensive lineman across from them and basically stand straight up at that point. They rarely win a one on one matchup or get any push. But, at the same time, look at our opponent's offensive numbers. Especially their rushing numbers. We're obviously playing good defense. BUT - all of the pressures, tackles, and mayhem are coming from the Linebacker position (except a bit from our DBs blitzing). Our linebackers are freaking stout. So, I can't tell if Arnett is just scheming it that way and trying to use the DL to keep everything in front of the defense or what. I thought I would see more explosive plays from our DL in these first two games versus some "lesser" teams, and it's been a bit concerning that they have seemed to struggle. Maybe I'm misreading it.

The only other thing I'm seeing that bothers me is that our OL still seems to give up a lot of pressure when the opposing team only sends 3. And, again, this has been versus lesser competition. Overall, the OL has done great through the first 2 games, but when they do get beat, it's almost always against a 3 man rush. That is just weird. It's like we can't figure out who to block. On one sack, we actually had a RB staying in to block, and we still got beat by a 3 man rush. The good thing is, this should be fixable. We're not getting beaten because we have a bad OL, because they are holding up great in just about every other situation. The bad thing is, this seems to be a recurring problem no matter who is playing OL for us, so apparently our coaches aren't great at figuring out how to fix it. I don't know, it's strange. I get that it's somewhat of a by product of the wide splits, but it sucks to see Memphis and Arizona be able to cause us problems because we know what's coming later on in the schedule.

I'm not too worried about the OL "issue", because it's not been a big issue, just a bit aggravating here and there. Plus I trust Will to get the ball out quickly when he needs to and/or make good decisions (not throwing it up for grabs), for the most part. I'm more worried he may take a few too many hits and potentially get hurt by some of the SEC DL coming up on our schedule.

The DL play Saturday is what I'm keying in on. An accurate QB with running ability is scary for any defense. If we do well containing the LSU offense (and I believe we can shut down their run game), then there's an obvious path to 9 or 10 wins. If JD shows out against us, it's not going to bode well going forward. As always, the LSU game is a critical game for us.

Overall, our team has looked really good.

Maverick91
09-12-2022, 01:13 PM
One thing to make note of if someone hasn?t already. I liked BK at ND one main reason he mostly played softer teams. His ND team never had to trap up their chinstrap every Saturday. He will have the talent, but I don?t know if he will have the ability to make those player play angry like you have to in the SEC. If we come out and punch them I. The mouth like we should and they don?t punch back. You might have your answer in the first quarter.

parabrave
09-12-2022, 01:22 PM
4 things. Contain their QB and wrap up when tackling. On the Offensive side The Oline needs to block better and WR needs to push the ball downfield. Those dump offs are not going to go far with their speed.

Todd4State
09-12-2022, 01:59 PM
I think we might lose this one. We probably shouldn't, We're good enough to win it, but we haven't played well enough so far and it's a tough place to win. That long haul cross country to AZ is tough too. We just aren't consistent. But I expect a tight game. Hopefully we find a way to play 4 qtrs and win it. Just don't have high confidence in this team yet.

I'm never going to consider any football game against LSU a probable win for us. I'm scarred from MSU/LSU 1998. I do think it's a toss up and we're going to have to play well to win.

The biggest thing for me is no turnovers.

smootness
09-12-2022, 02:06 PM
I was reading an article after the game that was saying De Laura needed to run more and that he said during training camp that he would run if he needed to. He didn't really need to vs SDSU but he absolutely needed to vs us.

But he didn't because that's not who he is. I would imagine our coaches know that and designed a game plan accordingly.

Catfish
09-12-2022, 02:08 PM
I'm never going to consider any football game against LSU a probable win for us. I'm scarred from MSU/LSU 1998. I do think it's a toss up and we're going to have to play well to win.

The biggest thing for me is no turnovers.

Good post, no turnovers. They will be tough at home regardless. Let's remember, they have some 4 and 5 star players and BK will have them ready to play. Can't go in there scared. My hope is we get an early lead then play our game.

BrunswickDawg
09-12-2022, 02:16 PM
This game is about to answer a lot of questions. I've been critical of our DL, and I'm still pretty skeptical on them. At the snap of the ball, they just run into the offensive lineman across from them and basically stand straight up at that point. They rarely win a one on one matchup or get any push. But, at the same time, look at our opponent's offensive numbers. Especially their rushing numbers. We're obviously playing good defense. BUT - all of the pressures, tackles, and mayhem are coming from the Linebacker position (except a bit from our DBs blitzing). Our linebackers are freaking stout. So, I can't tell if Arnett is just scheming it that way and trying to use the DL to keep everything in front of the defense or what. I thought I would see more explosive plays from our DL in these first two games versus some "lesser" teams, and it's been a bit concerning that they have seemed to struggle. Maybe I'm misreading it.

https://insider.afca.com/multiple-defensive-fronts-in-the-3-3-5/

BulldogBear
09-12-2022, 02:21 PM
If we make their QB beat us with his arm, it will be a long night...for them. What we don't need to see is a QB scramble on 3rd and 10+ 5-6 times, sustaining drives that keep them in the game. We need to find a way to cover their guys and keep the QB in the pocket. If we can do that it will get ugly and glorious. They won't beat us running the ball with backs, if we lose it will be because see above.

starkvegasdawg
09-12-2022, 02:30 PM
I just want to see a full four quarter game. Not one where we decide to say **** it for a quarter and a half. Other thing that worries me is that it seems the first couple of drives the opposing offense marches down the field the first couple drives like they're playing against air. Then Arnett makes some adjustments and we start getting stops. Death Valley at night is not a place I want to be down 14-0 before we decide to play the game.

Commercecomet24
09-12-2022, 02:31 PM
No turnovers and don't let daniels beat us with us legs, and we'll win comfortably.

BulldogBear
09-12-2022, 02:39 PM
Just for the record, it won't be dark until probably the 4th quarter. It's not exactly a night game. Let's knock them out before it gets dark!

Commercecomet24
09-12-2022, 02:41 PM
Just for the record, it won't be dark until probably the 4th quarter. It's not exactly a night game. Let's knock them out before it gets dark!

Yeah it's a strange kickoff time for this one. 5pm.

Offshore Dawg
09-12-2022, 02:47 PM
Yeah it's a strange kickoff time for this one. 5pm.

That Coon-ass will still get drunk by then. Plenty of time.

Commercecomet24
09-12-2022, 02:51 PM
That Coon-ass will still get drunk by then. Plenty of time.

Absolutely no doubt about that. I remember the first time I took my travel baseball team to play a big tournament in Baton Rouge at Cypress Mounds, years ago. It amazed me that they served alcohol at a youth baseball park and the sign on the concession stand said "State law doesn't allow us to serve alcohol before 11am on Sundays" lol! Youth baseball and alcohol is not a good combination!

TrapGame
09-12-2022, 02:58 PM
No turnovers and don't let daniels beat us with us legs, and we'll win comfortably.

Completely agree.

And here's a little tidbit Steve left on his last BY. We used Dillon Johnson as a fullback on a few of those two back sets. He helped spring Marks on a couple of those big runs.

Commercecomet24
09-12-2022, 03:01 PM
Completely agree.

And here's a little tidbit Steve left on his last BY. We used Dillon Johnson as a fullback on a few of those two back sets. He helped spring Marks on a couple of those big runs.

Yeah Johnson is a beast. Strong and plays hard and he can really block.

basedog
09-12-2022, 03:16 PM

Describe "comfortable win" LOL. This will be a very physical game, I'm afraid it will come down to the last few minutes of the game. As you know, some of ED posters will be climbing to the roof tops thinking about jumping......LOL again!

Commercecomet24
09-12-2022, 03:25 PM
Describe "comfortable win" LOL. This will be a very physical game, I'm afraid it will come down to the last few minutes of the game. As you know, some of ED posters will be climbing to the roof tops thinking about jumping......LOL again!

Comfortable to me is 2 tds. I've watched daniels a lot, when he was at asu. He's not going to beat you with his arm, he's a one read and take off. If we don't turn the ball over and keep him from scrambling for big plays we will win by 2 scores.

TrapGame
09-12-2022, 03:28 PM
Comfortable to me is 2 tds. I've watched daniels a lot, when he was at asu. He's not going to beat you with his arm, he's a one read and take off. If we don't turn the ball over and keep him from scrambling for big plays we will win by 2 scores.

Daniel's passing while pressured has Forbes' career high interceptions written all over it.

Commercecomet24
09-12-2022, 03:35 PM
Daniel's passing while pressured has Forbes' career high interceptions written all over it.

Unless we give them a short field I just don't think lsu offense is capable of putting up more than 10-14 points against our defense(unless we just let daniels run wild on broken plays). I could be dead wrong but I just don't see it with their ol problems and daniels flightiness in the pass game.

basedog
09-12-2022, 04:22 PM
Unless we give them a short field I just don't think lsu offense is capable of putting up more than 10-14 points against our defense(unless we just let daniels run wild on broken plays). I could be dead wrong but I just don't see it with their ol problems and daniels flightiness in the pass game.

I'm gonna book the 10-14 point win, should I go for $500 or $1,000, LOL

I just see a close game Cc24, Lsu has athletes, maybe the toughest place in the Sec. I sure hope you are correct, but I see a very close game which I predict pretty much all year on the majority Sec games we play. I do think we should win but it means nothing on paper.

TrapGame
09-12-2022, 04:27 PM

I just see a close game Cc24, Lsu has athletes, maybe the toughest place in the Sec. I sure hope you are correct, but I see a very close game which I predict pretty much all year on the majority Sec games we play. I do think we should win but it means nothing on paper.

There's some questions about LSU's conditioning too. If we play our dink and dunk stretching that defense and controlling TOP they could be gassed by the fourth quarter.

Goldendawg
09-12-2022, 04:37 PM

We beat the "Pac 10 or 12 or whatever it is now after dark". We can easily beat only one quarter of the LSU voodoo after it gets dark. State 31 - 21 if we take no quarters off.

Goldendawg
09-12-2022, 04:42 PM

Have Will talk to John Bond. He beat them 4 straight. I was there for one of the games and never saw their stadium empty so fast by halftime. Hail State!

Commercecomet24
09-12-2022, 04:50 PM

Don't get me wrong we could still lose but if we do the things I listed we'll win by 2 scores.

PMDawg
09-12-2022, 05:51 PM
There's some questions about LSU's conditioning too. If we play our dink and dunk stretching that defense and controlling TOP they could be gassed by the fourth quarter.

They're a little thin at DL right now too, right?

basedog
09-12-2022, 05:56 PM
Don't get me wrong we could still lose but if we do the things I listed we'll win by 2 scores.

Let's hope we kick their coon ass hard!! I use to work with those coon asses and it is hard to be around them after 22 years, but no longer as I retired, LOL! I do have a good friend who is a big Lsu fan but he is no problem.

Line is 2.5 right now.

Commercecomet24
09-12-2022, 06:01 PM
Let's hope we kick their coon ass hard!! I use to work with those coon asses and it is hard to be around them after 22 years, but no longer as I retired, LOL! I do have a good friend who is a big Lsu fan but he is no problem.

Line is 2.5 right now.

My oldest son married into an lsu family but theyre actually cool not jerks like so many I've known lol. Let's whip em and enjoy!

LC Dawg
09-12-2022, 07:32 PM
Is it confirmed that Crumedy plays Saturday or just speculation?

R2Dawg
09-12-2022, 07:43 PM

I agree. 35-21 Dawgs if we play clean. Leach gotta execute better in red zone. This throw 3 times inside 5 BS gotta stop. Gotta get TDs there to win games like this.

If we play sloppy, we may need a TO or two to win.

BrunswickDawg
09-12-2022, 07:55 PM
I agree. 35-21 Dawgs if we play clean. Leach gotta execute better in red zone. This throw 3 times inside 5 BS gotta stop. Gotta get TDs there to win games like this.

We've scored on 9 of 10 Red Zone opportunities with only 1 FG. So that's 8 TDs, 1 FG and 1 missed FG in 10 chances - that's not bad

PikeDawg15
09-12-2022, 09:58 PM
Since 2014

State is 3-5 against Ole Miss

State is 3-5 against LSU

That?s a very interesting stat i found.

Cooterpoot
09-13-2022, 03:56 AM
Is it confirmed that Crumedy plays Saturday or just speculation?

He's out. Right now he's out for at least a couple more games. Might be longer.

TrapGame
09-13-2022, 08:36 AM
I watched a CBS Sports podcast last night and their bookie said our defense is suspect, our offense is decent, but we beat LSU last year so they'll be looking for revenge.

Most of these guys know jack shit about us.

Jack Lambert
09-13-2022, 08:40 AM
I watched a CBS Sports podcast last night and their bookie said our defense is suspect, our offense is decent, but we beat LSU last year so they'll be looking for revenge.

Most of these guys know jack shit about us.

To be fair he probably got us mixed up with Ole MIss.

TrapGame
09-13-2022, 08:51 AM
To be fair he probably got us mixed up with Ole MIss.

They don't know jack, Jack.

R2Dawg
09-13-2022, 12:03 PM
We've scored on 9 of 10 Red Zone opportunities with only 1 FG. So that's 8 TDs, 1 FG and 1 missed FG in 10 chances - that's not bad

Hasn't seemed like that good; I know we have improved greatly. We have not been efficient. We've been bailed out a bunch with penalties extending drives in red zone and had some really poor playcalling at times. Throwing 3 times first and goal inside 5 when you been gashing them running the ball don't make sense to me.

R2Dawg
09-13-2022, 12:04 PM
He's out. Right now he's out for at least a couple more games. Might be longer.

That hurts.

Coach34
09-13-2022, 01:29 PM
We're better than LSU right now

BlackSailsDawg
09-13-2022, 01:58 PM
I think the match up still remains our LBs vs their QB's scrambles to the edges. The truth is he's been accurate, but doesn't see the open field. He is not settled in the pocket. The defense has issues. They have bad Lbs and DBU isn't DBU anymore. They are ranked 65th in passing defense efficiency after playing a no name this weekend. Before that, they were 98th.

Does that mean it will be easy. No. But I likey likey our chances!

Maverick91
09-13-2022, 02:05 PM

If they score 21 on us it will strictly be because they scrambled like a boss and we didn?t spy well at all. Kinda like what Dak did to them in 2013. The clearly won that game but we had enough xfactor to make it weirdly interesting.

Matt3467
09-13-2022, 02:14 PM
Have we heard anything else on Boutte? Is he going to play Saturday or is he done?

msstate7
09-13-2022, 02:20 PM
Have we heard anything else on Boutte? Is he going to play Saturday or is he done?

He played vs southern, 5 catches

Maverick91
09-13-2022, 05:24 PM
The game is going to be won at the line between their oline and our dline. Our dline is going to win the game, not going to say they dominate but they will win the day.

TrapGame
09-13-2022, 05:42 PM
Jake Wim had an LSU go on this afternoon. He has some serious reservations about his team. The secondary is weak. The OL is weak. He said State was more talented than FSU. He actually said he thought FSU was about as talented as Arizona. He thinks this game could get ugly for Brian Kelly.