PDA

View Full Version : Hire a shooting coach Rick Ray

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 12:55 AM
Good lord how many times does it have to be said before Rick Ray, MSU and y'all get it?

"This game was real simple, MSU head coach Rick Ray said in a release.They can shoot and we can't. We couldn't guard them and they could guard us. They beat us up in the boards. We have a false sense of who we are because we are living on our offense."

Irondawg
11-25-2013, 01:00 AM
I haven't been able to watch yet but from the posts I've read seems like chicken and brown don't look much improved in technique from last year. If so, that's a big disappointment.

TheRef
11-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Shooting stats:
MSU
FG%: 45.6%
3-Pt. FG%: 31.3%
FT%: 64.7%

USU
FG%: 51.9%
3-Pt. FG%: 47.8%
FT%: 74.1%

TheRef
11-25-2013, 01:03 AM
I haven't been able to watch yet but from the posts I've read seems like chicken and brown don't look much improved in technique from last year. If so, that's a big disappointment.

Chicken was 5-11 FG and 1-3 FT.

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 01:09 AM
There's zero harm in hiring a shooting coach. The fact we don't have one makes no sense. Baseball has a hitting coach AND a pitching coach. Hire someone to teach the correct way to shoot. We have a strength coach. Daily instruction from a guy that can really shoot the ball.

starkvegasdawg
11-25-2013, 02:27 AM
Shooting stats:
MSU
FG%: 45.6%
3-Pt. FG%: 31.3%
FT%: 64.7%

USU
FG%: 51.9%
3-Pt. FG%: 47.8%
FT%: 74.1%
Nice to see we still can't make a ft. I was hoping that would change under ray.

TheRef
11-25-2013, 02:49 AM
Season Stats:
MSU

FG%: 46.8%
3-Pt. FG%: 33.8%
FT%: 63.3%

smootness
11-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Huh? What is there to 'get', I don't understand?

Yes, you can try to instruct players on the 'correct' way to shoot. However, most of the time it is less about form and more about what is comfortable and repeatable for each player. You can correct some little things here and there regarding technique, but mostly it's about how many shots you put up on your own in practice.

By the time a basketball player gets to college, his shooting form, including his FT form, is mostly set; you're just not going to overhaul it within 4 years, it doesn't make sense to do so. I'll never understand why fans think FT shooting is a coaching issue. Sure, they can try to recruit guys who shoot FTs well, but they're not going to come in and suddenly make everyone a better FT shooter...just not the way it works.

If you can find me one college basketball staff who has a 'shooting coach', then I'll listen.

And Irondawg, who is Brown?

whosyourdawgy
11-25-2013, 08:44 AM
He means Flat Top Fred I watched the game online. It wasn't that we were missing too many jump shots or 3's. Hell we were missing layups and shots in the paint. Sword may have been 5-11 but 3 or 4 of those were on drives to the basket. When the Utes pulled away from us it was because we missed like 3 or 4 shots at point blank range in a row. Sword missed a drive, Ware missed a hook, Thomaa missed a floater. We make those we are still within striking distance. But we never guarded the one kid that could shoot lights out so it wouldn't have mattered

Coach34
11-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Yep- we missed a ton of paint shots and then didnt guard worth a shit in transition. Ray is gonna have to get that shit corrected.

I'll say this though- the S&C program is working. Some of our guys look like different people. FTF especially.

As far as a "shooting coach"- I'm pretty sure we have a couple of those already. Just have that official designation.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
11-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Good lord how many times does it have to be said before Rick Ray, MSU and y'all get it?

"This game was real simple, MSU head coach Rick Ray said in a release.They can shoot and we can't. We couldn't guard them and they could guard us. They beat us up in the boards. We have a false sense of who we are because we are living on our offense."

I took from that quote that he is upset about the defensive play and rebounding deficiencies, not because he thinks we can't play offense. This sentence in the quote essentially confirms that "We have a false sense of who we are because we are living on our offense". From everything I have seen, Ray wants us to have an identity that starts with hard nosed, up-tempo DEFENSE and solid work on the boards. I think you are just nitpicking here.

slickdawg
11-25-2013, 10:39 AM
I see relentless effort and guys that are buying in and working hard. I see guys that clearly participated in strength and conditioning. That's light years ahead of where we were under the last 4-5 years of Stands.

tcdog70
11-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Shooting Coach, how about just recruit a shooter.and while you are at it get a big sumbitch to rebound and defend.

smootness
11-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Shooting Coach, how about just recruit a shooter.and while you are at it get a big sumbitch to rebound and defend.

This is what it comes down to. Hopefully Dunlap and Ndoye/Black help in these areas, we'll see.

tcdog70
11-25-2013, 11:00 AM
No doubt Dunlap can shoot.

codeDawg
11-25-2013, 02:04 PM

This is it. Kids can shoot or they can't. These kids can't shoot, so they have to play like crazy on D and get offense rebounds to compensate. If they don't defend and get second chances, we will lose. Without a big guy to get the boards, this team is going to have a long, shitty year.

Ray is setup to fail. He might can coach up our little lumps of coal to a handful of victories and a few moral ones, but without the support that Stansbury had in recruiting, he is not going to live up to expectations. You can't win a lot of basketball games without guys that are really good at playing basketball.

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Dozens of NBA teams have shooting instructors. Hell just get the dot-shot sleeve for them and we'd see improvement.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5sul-etpK_A

smootness
11-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Dozens of NBA teams have shooting instructors. Hell just get the dot-shot sleeve for them and we'd see improvement.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5sul-etpK_A

Dude, what?

This is the epitome of a 'I must blame the coaches for something!' post.

I said colleges, not NBA teams. If a kid has literally nothing else to do with his time but work on his shooting form, there are ways to try to improve it. With as little time as college athletes have, especially organized practice time, I'd much rather the coaches spend time working on overall strategy and general fundamentals and just tell them to shoot as much as possible on their own time.

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 03:25 PM
You keep being satisfied with .30% 3s and .65% free-throws and I'll keep being the guy saying we need to hire a full-time shooting instructor. I'm not trying to blame the coaching staff or the players. I'm trying to HELP! What is the harm in having a coach on staff that can develop better shooting?

smootness
11-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Because you can only have so many coaches! You can't just say, 'we need this,' so it happens.

I would love to have 14 coaches on staff, each devoting all of their time to a specific area to work on, but it can't happen in college.

Who said I was satisified with the percentages? Again, this is the epitome of the, 'I must blame the coaches for something!' phenomenon among fans. Just because I'm telling you the solution you propose is either impossible or unrealistic doesn't mean there isn't an issue.

We do have a shooting issue. The solution is to bring in better shooters. As much as I would love for it to be true, you can't just will something to happen. This is not a problem that will be solved during the season. FWIW, 34% on 3's as a team is not bad. 63% on FTs is.

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Looks like we still have an Assistant Coach slot available that we aren't using.

http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=10994&SPSID=90869

http://www.kuathletics.com/coaches.aspx?path=mbball

Hire another coach Rick Ray. One that can help teach shooting.

codeDawg
11-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Looks like we still have an Assistant Coach slot available that we aren't using.

http://www.hailstate.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=10994&SPSID=90869

http://www.kuathletics.com/coaches.aspx?path=mbball

Hire another coach Rick Ray. One that can help teach shooting.

...or hire a coach that signs kids that can already shoot so we can spend time teaching how to run offense and defense. Which do you think has better long term returns?

Dawg61
11-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Both. Either way it looks like MSU isn't using its full allotment of assistant coaches allowed per NCAA. Why on earth do we have an available assistant coaching spot not currently being filled?