FISHDAWG
09-09-2022, 12:17 PM
MLB 2023

15sec or 20sec with ROB

Batter must be in box within 8sec and gets only 1 timeout

When pitch is released must be 2 IF on both sides of 2B

All IF must be within IF dirt while P is on rubber

How long before this comed to college?

not sure about college ... But I like it ... I only wish they had added a maximum number of throw overs from the pitcher

HoopsDawg
09-09-2022, 12:32 PM
I must say, I like all these changes. And I rarely do.

Percho
09-09-2022, 12:42 PM
Kind of takes the leisure out of the game.

Tater
09-09-2022, 12:42 PM
I must say, I like all these changes. And I rarely do.

I personally hate banning the shift. But I'm a baseball purist. Hit em where they ain't. If I want all 7 of the other fielders in a huddle in right field then that should be my choice. The clock is what it is. Adhering to pace of play complaints. But baseball isn't a TV sport and never was meant to be. It's a social sport. The world just ain't built for that no more though. At least that doesn't control the dollar.

Commercecomet24
09-09-2022, 12:45 PM
I personally hate banning the shift. But I'm a baseball purist. Hit em where they ain't. If I want all 7 of the other fielders in a huddle in right field then that should be my choice. The clock is what it is. Adhering to pace of play complaints. But baseball isn't a TV sport and never was meant to be. It's a social sport. The world just ain't built for that no more though. At least that doesn't control the dollar.

Agree with you on all this. Not a big fan of manfred and his continued, tinkering with everything, but I guess I'm just a dinosaur.

HoopsDawg
09-09-2022, 12:46 PM

If you are a purist then you should know games used to be played in 2 hours and they didn't have 3B in RF.

Quaoarsking
09-09-2022, 12:56 PM
Banning the shift is a fu?king joke. Baseball is dead.

Quaoarsking
09-09-2022, 01:00 PM
If you are a purist then you should know games used to be played in 2 hours and they didn't have 3B in RF.

The shift has existed since the 1800s. It's just modern players like ***** Gallo who feel entitled to just hit like they want to instead of where fielders aren't that has brought this nontroversy on.

Lord McBuckethead
09-09-2022, 01:00 PM
Maximum number of throw overs would benefit the runner too much.

Commercecomet24
09-09-2022, 01:02 PM
Banning the shift is a fu?king joke. Baseball is dead.

Shifts have been around since baseball began. If you ban infield shifts do you now also ban outfield shifts, or outfielders from playing deep or shallow, or no doubles defense or infielders playing in for bunts or plays at the plate(imagine how many more runs this would create), or infielders from playing double play depth? manfred like to tinker to much.

Lord McBuckethead
09-09-2022, 01:02 PM
Little known fact, the only 2 players required to be at a special location for baseball to be able to be played is the batter in the box and a pitcher on the rubber. All other players, including the catcher do not have to be there.

HoopsDawg
09-09-2022, 01:05 PM
Shifts have been around since baseball began. If you ban infield shifts do you now also ban outfield shifts, or outfielders from playing deep or shallow, or no doubles defense or infielders playing in for bunts or plays at the plate(imagine how many more runs this would create), or infielders from playing double play depth? manfred like to tinker to much.

That's a straw man argument No one is arguing for what you posted.

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2022, 01:06 PM

They used the shift at least as far back as Ted Williams, and probably further. But, it wasn't commonplace because most hitters would beat the shift. Hitters have traded knowing how to hit for bat flips and HR.

As for time - games were shorter - but 800 pitching changes + 15 cup and batting glove adjustments + TV commercials means 4+ hours means games have even gotten too long for us purists. Frankly, I have yet to understand why networks are willing to show soccer games and NASCAR with no/or limited interruptions and we can't do the same for football and baseball. It's always made TV baseball games longer and now it is infecting football even more.

Quaoarsking
09-09-2022, 01:09 PM

They may not be exactly arguing that word for word, but the actual arguments are equally bad. Shifting is an inherent part of baseball.

HoopsDawg
09-09-2022, 01:09 PM
They used the shift at least as far back as Ted Williams, and probably further. But, it wasn't commonplace because most hitters would beat the shift. Hitters have traded knowing how to hit for bat flips and HR.

As for time - games were shorter - but 800 pitching changes + 15 cup and batting glove adjustments + TV commercials means 4+ hours means games have even gotten too long for us purists. Frankly, I have yet to understand why networks are willing to show soccer games and NASCAR with no/or limited interruptions and we can't do the same for football and baseball. It's always made TV baseball games longer and now it is infecting football even more.

When I go back and watch old baseball games, other than about 10 pitchers, it looks like absolute meat. It's really fcking hard to "hit it where it's pitched" these days.

You are preaching to the choir on commercials. Beware of college football if they keep a running clock on first downs.

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2022, 01:11 PM

I would have murdered a shift if a team had ever played one on me. I was a RH pull hitter, but could bunt like a maniac. If anyone had ever pulled the 2B over to the left side of the IF, I'd have push bunted past the pitcher right where the 2B was supposed to be - then I'd steal 2B on the next pitch just to piss them off more. I just don't get why players can't or won't take advantage of the shifts.

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2022, 01:14 PM
When I go back and watch old baseball games, other than about 10 pitchers, it looks like absolute meat. It's really fcking hard to "hit it where it's pitched" these days.

You are preaching to the choir on commercials. Beware of college football if they keep a running clock on first downs.

I know spin rates and velo have "changed" the game - but no one is even trying. You have the 3B in RF - BUNT THE DAMN BALL, 3B IS WIDE OPEN!

Commercecomet24
09-09-2022, 01:16 PM

Naw, just give it time. I've watched manfred change to much already. And folks always say "no one is arguing for that" until it actually happens.

ETA and I may be using some hyperbole, but other changes will be made, that shouldn't be.

Commercecomet24
09-09-2022, 01:17 PM
I would have murdered a shift if a team had ever played one on me. I was a RH pull hitter, but could bunt like a maniac. If anyone had ever pulled the 2B over to the left side of the IF, I'd have push bunted past the pitcher right where the 2B was supposed to be - then I'd steal 2B on the next pitch just to piss them off more. I just don't get why players can't or won't take advantage of the shifts.

This. If players would do this more often, the would beat the shift themselves without someone having to change the rules for them.

Commercecomet24
09-09-2022, 01:19 PM
I know spin rates and velo have "changed" the game - but no one is even trying. You have the 3B in RF - BUNT THE DAMN BALL, 3B IS WIDE OPEN!

That's the problem nobody even knows how to bunt anymore.

Quaoarsking
09-09-2022, 07:58 PM
I saw an article that said Joey Gallo could hit .470 if he just bunted down the third base line every time they shift on him.

But he doesn't want to because "I'm Joey Gallo and I did for power." Apparently not realizing that teams would either completely or mostly stop shifting on him if we were a .470 hitter who was about a .950 hitter when shifted on. By banning the shift, Major League Fakeball is encouraging MORE players to be like Joey Gallo. It's just an all-around terrible decision that ruins the game.

Commercecomet24
09-09-2022, 08:23 PM
I saw an article that said Joey Gallo could hit .470 if he just bunted down the third base line every time they shift on him.

But he doesn't want to because "I'm Joey Gallo and I did for power." Apparently not realizing that teams would either completely or mostly stop shifting on him if we were a .470 hitter who was about a .950 hitter when shifted on. By banning the shift, Major League Fakeball is encouraging MORE players to be like Joey Gallo. It's just an all-around terrible decision that ruins the game.

Baseball has become all about home runs and velo. The chess match, the beauty of the little things being done correctly, the things that make the game great are being lost. Even at youth level kids are only worried about how hard they throw or spin rates instead of learning how to pitch in and out and change speeds, hitters are only worried about how far they can hit it, launch angles instead of learning how to go the other way, hit behind the runner, stay up the middle, bunt, etc...

Sad that so much of what makes it such a great game is being lost, but like I said I'm just an old dinosaur.

coachnorm
09-09-2022, 08:53 PM

They will keep the clock running to squeeze in more commercials within the 4 hour game. I wonder why the stadiums are not filling up like they used to? I do not believe that it is politics, it is commercials and delays sucking the joy out of the game.

coachnorm
09-09-2022, 09:00 PM
MLB 2023

15sec or 20sec with ROB

I am a minority who grew up with baseball. I still remember the batting stances of the stars years ago. I probably will be dead of old age within 15 years if I make it that long. After that who is going to replace me? The youth of America do not watch baseball too much, they are heading to soccer as a replacement because baseball has accommodated the old gray beards at the expense of the youth. If baseball stays traditional, it will have signed its death warrant?

maroonmania
09-09-2022, 09:26 PM

I've often said that in this fast paced world we live in that baseball would be more popular with the masses if it was a 7 inning game rather than a 9 inning game. People lose patience these days with a slower paced game like baseball that often takes 3.5 hours or more to play.

Schultzy
09-09-2022, 10:03 PM
MLB 2023

15sec or 20sec with ROB

Like, get your ass in the box and hit; get your ass on the mound and pitch.

Goldendawg
09-09-2022, 11:04 PM
I've often said that in this fast paced world we live in that baseball would be more popular with the masses if it was a 7 inning game rather than a 9 inning game. People lose patience these days with a slower paced game like baseball that often takes 3.5 hours or more to play.

Shoot, 7 innings would have been great for our team last year. We were ahead, wouldn't have had to bring in a relief pitcher, and would have made Omaha!***

Todd4State
09-10-2022, 03:52 AM
Baseball has become all about home runs and velo. The chess match, the beauty of the little things being done correctly, the things that make the game great are being lost. Even at youth level kids are only worried about how hard they throw or spin rates instead of learning how to pitch in and out and change speeds, hitters are only worried about how far they can hit it, launch angles instead of learning how to go the other way, hit behind the runner, stay up the middle, bunt, etc...

Sad that so much of what makes it such a great game is being lost, but like I said I'm just an old dinosaur.

I'm fine with the pitch clock. I think players do better when they don't think too much and just go ahead and make a decision and just play. See Landon Sims. I'm OK with being home 30-40 minutes early simply because selfishly when I go to a game I'm usually travelling and that should give me a little more time to do some things around town. Biggest thing is finding a place to eat after the game as I personally (again selfish I know) typically don't like to eat before a game because I don't want to rush or feel rushed and I typically only eat something at the game as more of a snack. Full disclosure I usually don't get the family sized nachos or anything like that. In theory a game starts at 6 and let's say it ends around 8:30-8:45 instead of 9:30- that gives me more time and I like that.

I kind of doubt I'll notice the base size. So, non-issue with me.

Now banning the shift I don't like. To me, it seems like there is too much focus on swing mechanics and trying to generate launch angle and not nearly enough on situational hitting in general. It's all because of that Sabermetric "bunting is bad and home runs are good and a strikeout is really just another out and no different than a ground out or a fly ball". That's what players are being taught and to be honest to me it's half assed. Because if you study the game the best home run hitters were also really good hitters in general. I'm talking Ruth, Mays, Aaron, Pujols, etc. Most of them used the whole field. So, why not try to be like them and not like Joey Gallo? I saw a study about the shift on Twitter and it said that for every 11 runs the shift saves it allows 9 runs because the fielders are out of position. So, yes the shift saves runs in the long term but the reality is I think it's also overblown a little bit. Gallo strikes out so much I'm not sure how much banning the shift will really help him. Congrats on getting above the Mendoza Line Joey?** That stat I mentioned is probably why MLB is focusing on batting average with justifying banning the shift and not runs saved.

I think the solution is I think MLB needs to come out with a program where it teaches hitting and offense in a good fundamental way. Like the NFL did with tackling and like MLB did with it's R.B.I. program to increase African Americans in the game. Have hitting coaches throughout the country become "MLB certified" where coaches attend classes led by MLB hitting coaches or ex hitting coaches. That could extend into base running and things like that too of course.

Pitching right now is way ahead of hitting even though we have better technology. Of course it's easier to pitch when hitters try to pull everything with big upper cut swings.

Todd4State
09-10-2022, 03:52 AM
Shoot, 7 innings would have been great for our team last year. We were ahead, wouldn't have had to bring in a relief pitcher, and would have made Omaha!***

No doubt.

Tater
09-10-2022, 06:54 AM

This is why I'm enjoying the Mets this year and the Braves "fans" (not this board, but a large contingent in other places) are driving me crazy. Keep calling the Mets lucky because they get rinkydink hits and texas league bloops to win games. Hell, one of the pitchers cried about it. Like... that's baseball. The whole league is zigging towards launch angle and homers... so someone should zag and play small ball. The Mets been doing that and lo and behold they are a top team. (Even with this stupid slump we've been in. Need to get right and get hot in October. And honestly the more I talked about it, the more I'd rather play the Dodgers than the ****ing Devil Magic Cardinals. Cardinals seem primed for one of their stupid championship runs powered off of bullshit again this year. It might be better off to skip that first round, but not having to go through wild card is better idk.)

Commercecomet24
09-10-2022, 12:38 PM
This is why I'm enjoying the Mets this year and the Braves "fans" (not this board, but a large contingent in other places) are driving me crazy. Keep calling the Mets lucky because they get rinkydink hits and texas league bloops to win games. Hell, one of the pitchers cried about it. Like... that's baseball. The whole league is zigging towards launch angle and homers... so someone should zag and play small ball. The Mets been doing that and lo and behold they are a top team. (Even with this stupid slump we've been in. Need to get right and get hot in October. And honestly the more I talked about it, the more I'd rather play the Dodgers than the ****ing Devil Magic Cardinals. Cardinals seem primed for one of their stupid championship runs powered off of bullshit again this year. It might be better off to skip that first round, but not having to go through wild card is better idk.)

Good post! I'm convinced you could build a team like Whitey Herzogs old cardinal teams. A bunch of contact hitters that can run and play defense and win big! You would drive teams crazy on the bases because pitchers don't hold runners well anymore(another lost art). That kind of team would strikeout very little, hit the other way, bunt and just go nuts stealing bases and give up few runs because of the plus defense. And also it's an exciting brand of baseball. I love seeing home runs as much as the next guy but when that's all the games about, not so much.

ETA I'm a Braves fan but you're right about the Mets. They're a dang good team that plays it right.