PDA

View Full Version : Football broadcast

bully99
11-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Meant to write this yesterday. On the Saturday game about one minute before kickoff Jim Ellis goes down to John Corerro and John says, Jim I don't even know if Dak Prescott made the trip to Arkansas, (pause),oh wait a minute I just saw him on the sideline. How in the world does a sideline Guy who travels with the team, stays with the team, and is around the team for 24 hour's doesn't know if the starting quarterback is even in town. Just amazing, I guess you have to give John some slack because he's elderly but that just looks bad.
Jim Ellis was his usual mumbling bumbling self. Something should be done by next year or disband the radio broadcast.

TheRef
11-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Two words: Won't happen.

FlabLoser
11-24-2013, 10:31 PM
I've been stuck with listening to it a couple times this year. It is awful. Jim has better eyesight and awareness than Jack Cristil did in Cristil's later years. But on the whole, Jim's broadcast is just as bad as Cristil's last years. His play by play often doesn't describe the play until its over - which is the color guy's job. Many times Jim leaves listeners guessing what happened even up until the start of the following play.

bully99
11-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Flab, what has happened is with every game being on TV, there just aren't many people who listen to radio anymore. I don't think there's any incentive to worry about the few who still listen.

M.Fillmore
11-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Flab, what has happened is with every game being on TV, there just aren't many people who listen to radio anymore. I don't think there's any incentive to worry about the few who still listen.

/\/\ This /\/\
I confess I rarely listen to the radio broadcast. I really don't know how Matt Wyatt does. I do know that I quit listening to "Head to Head" because I got tired of listening to Dick Cross kicking Wyatt's butt on a daily basis.

Political Hack
11-24-2013, 11:46 PM
they need to tell everyone one of our radio announcers for all spots that they should tell the time and score more than just when the final buzzer sounds.

preachermatt83
11-24-2013, 11:59 PM
I just wish there was a more exciting guy calling the game.

Coach34
11-25-2013, 12:02 AM
I just wish there was a more exciting guy calling the game.

yeah- wish we had a guy like Yellum

bully99
11-25-2013, 12:04 AM
At least yellum doesn't stumble fumble and bumble the whole game.

drunkernhelldawg
11-25-2013, 08:25 AM

I suspect that this idea is popular in our athletic department, but I think it's dead wrong. A strong radio network will do a lot more for our program than billboards and jumbtron ads. Reports of the demise of radio are premature. Not a good idea to get ahead of the curve on this one. So hopefully, somebody will get off his butt and make sure that we have a strong, high-quality presence on airwaves. Or are we too smart to do that?

Ronny
11-25-2013, 08:35 AM

people traveling or working or hunting, etc. listen to MSU games on the radio.

I don't care of only 5 people are listening, when it comes to a radio broadcast, the university should strive to present a high quality product to the MSU fanbase.

Besides, I along with everybody else here will listen to around 90% of the baseball games on radio once baseball season arrives.

Fortunately, Jim Ellis is really good at baseball. I'm glad, because before the season ends I'll listen to him call around 20 games on WRKS-FM 105.9 in Jackson.

Barking 13
11-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Maybe the new Media AD will address this.. Bart Gregory and Wyatt for football? Keep Ellis for baseball... Then there's basketball....

was21
11-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Richard Cross really does kick Wyatt's ass. Matt is easy going and good natured. Cross has an agenda and it shows. He sets Matt up and he falls for it time and again. Football....a war of words and talking heads.

drunkernhelldawg
11-25-2013, 08:51 AM
people traveling or working or hunting, etc. listen to MSU games on the radio.

I don't care of only 5 people are listening, when it comes to a radio broadcast, the university should strive to present a high quality product to the MSU fanbase.

Besides, I along with everybody else here will listen to around 90% of the baseball games on radio once baseball season arrives.

Fortunately, Jim Ellis is really good at baseball. I'm glad, because before the season ends I'll listen to him call around 20 games on WRKS-FM 105.9 in Jackson.

Jim Ellis is the the bomb in baseball. I wish they had a reliable network presence here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast so I could hear the games when I want to.

More to your point, I love listening to sports on the radio. My own experience makes me suspect that radio broadcasts can be very influential on which teams a young person supports. Maybe one day, it'll all be digital radio, but we'll still be listening in our cars and on our beaches, and we won't be watching any television in either of those places.

Original48
11-25-2013, 09:02 AM
My favorite innings to listen to in baseball are 4-6 when Bart Gregory is behind the mic. He relays the action AS IT HAPPENS and gets you in and out of breaks quickly, never missing a pitch. Jim use to be really good. Now he just seems to ramble and get overly excited at fly balls just short of the warning track. And often times I find myself finding out if a player is safe or out due to crowd reaction as opposed to waiting for Jim to tell me.

bully99
11-25-2013, 09:25 AM
To the people who think Jim Ellis is so great in baseball, have you listened to him the last few years. He's just as confused in baseball as the other sports. I've never heard another broadcaster who repeatedly runs commercials over the game. It's gotten so bad that Ellis is coming back to the games with 2 outs in the inning or two runners already on base. Last season he didn't getting back to the game until a State player had hit a homerun and had already rounded the bases.
I agree that Gregory is better at this point than Ellis.
It's time for Jim Ellis and John Corerro to retire and Matt Wyatt to go to broadcasting school.

Maroonthirteen
11-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Yelllum sucks too. As does their broadcast.

I listened to a portion of a couple of their games this year. First, it sounds like Yellum is in a library with his effeminate tone and quiet background. Second, he seems to rather have a conversation with silent bubba next to him rather than call play by play guy. You can follow live stats on a phone and imagine what is going on as well as he calls play by play. He will talk for two minutes about something going on around their campus or program. But then use 5 words to describe a play.