PDA

View Full Version : So, at yesterday's LSU Presser, Kelly called out a reporter. Her response was great.

Saltydog
09-07-2022, 09:11 AM
This is from The Sporting News but things are already getting just a bit testy in Tiger Land......

LSU coach Brian Kelly called out a reporter for arriving late to his Tuesday media availability. The reporter had an immediate, and rather pointed, comeback for which she later apologized.

Just before Kelly opened his press conference to questions, he made a reference to The (Baton Rouge) Advocate's Leah Vann, who had just arrived, for not being on time, although he did not identify her by name. He said he was fining Vann $10 and that the money would go toward a postseason bash.

Vann's response? "Maybe if you win, I'll be on time." Kelly's Tigers are, of course, coming off a 24-23 loss to LSU on Sunday night that left the $90 million coach open for more criticism in his first season after leaving Notre Dame.

Kelly, not looking pleased, responded: "I don't think it has anything to do with winning. I think it has to do with being on time."

Vann addressed her comment by posting a Twitter thread after the availability. She said that she apologized to Kelly for her retort.

TrapGame
09-07-2022, 09:15 AM
https://youtu.be/sTH4XVXAvqM

BeardoMSU
09-07-2022, 09:46 AM
That place, lol.

Saltydog
09-07-2022, 09:54 AM
That place, lol.

It would've been even better if she responded by saying, "don't you have to win games for a post season".

PMDawg
09-07-2022, 09:56 AM
How embarrassing. It's just another symptom of the disease that has infected American journalism. It's a shame how unprofessional that "profession" has become. It really is a cesspool.

Maroonthirteen
09-07-2022, 10:59 AM
Agreed. The journalist comment was childish. His response was best.

BulldogDX55
09-07-2022, 11:22 AM
Brian Kelly deserves this treatment.

He is well known at every stop he has made for throwing people under the bus and never taking much responsibility when things go poorly. This is just karma. He chose the wrong crowd to start off on the wrong foot with.

msstate7
09-07-2022, 11:28 AM
Brian Kelly deserves this treatment.

He is well known at every stop he has made for throwing people under the bus and never taking much responsibility when things go poorly. This is just karma. He chose the wrong crowd to start off on the wrong foot with.

Sorry to disappoint you... this is nothing

https://twitter.com/lvann_sports/status/1567206489877520385?s=46&t=35QE7nbLAEqVd9txH41ifw

MaroonFlounder
09-07-2022, 11:52 AM
Brian Kelly is a murderer. He sent that young man up high on that scissor lift at ND to film practice in a dangerous wind situation.

Haven't cared for him ever since. Life and safety are more important than football.

Saltydog
09-07-2022, 11:52 AM

https://twitter.com/lvann_sports/status/1567206489877520385?s=46&t=35QE7nbLAEqVd9txH41ifw

Yeah well that may very well be but his expression and body language tell me otherwise.

BulldogDX55
09-07-2022, 12:50 PM

*shrug* I have no dog in this fight, was just pointing out that the buck doesn't stop with him.

Also, as MaroonFlounder said, he basically murdered a kid (negligent homicide, really) and faced zero repercussions. I had forgotten about that. He deserves worse.

PGHBulldogBG
09-07-2022, 01:00 PM
Reporter should not have said that, but Brian Kelly has no room to talk about anything after not facing consequences for that kids death. He should have lost his job at the very minimum

WinningIsRelentless
09-07-2022, 01:15 PM
He said that on purpose to get the attention away from the game.

Lord McBuckethead
09-07-2022, 01:15 PM
How embarrassing. It's just another symptom of the disease that has infected American journalism. It's a shame how unprofessional that "profession" has become. It really is a cesspool.

Hey guess what bud, journalist are not there to suck him off. "His" comments were unprofessional, and I am damn proud she called him on his shit. No one has to take his shit. She does not work for him.
People are late from time to time, that is no place to call out someone who doesn't work for you, like 17n Brian Kelly is something special.

Lord McBuckethead
09-07-2022, 01:16 PM
Agreed. The journalist comment was childish. His response was best.

Disagree, who TF is he to comment on her. It is not like she was holding up the show.

msstate7
09-07-2022, 01:23 PM
Hey guess what bud, journalist are not there to suck him off. "His" comments were unprofessional, and I am damn proud she called him on his shit. No one has to take his shit. She does not work for him.
People are late from time to time, that is no place to call out someone who doesn't work for you, like 17n Brian Kelly is something special.

Read the Twitter thread. She apologized bc she was indeed in the wrong

TUSK
09-07-2022, 01:24 PM

What this^ cat says.

I'm not gonna get all in to the deal about the kid that died at ND, but Kelly signed up for this $$$$hit. He needs to have tougher skin, be more professional, and, most importantly, WIN.

If I were to see him on the street, I'd say: "Hey, Kelly, it ALL has to do with winning in this environment. See ya again in 2 years when Saban hires you to hand feed him Lil Debbies."

I don't think the poor guy knows he ain't in Kansas, anymore.

ETA: she was bein' unprofessional too.. but that's what reporters do...

msstate7
09-07-2022, 01:28 PM
If a CL reporter had said the exact same thing to the exact same comment from mike leach, the exact ones that are mad at Kelly would be mad at the reporter. That's what irks me about it. The woman that made the comment apologized, and they joked about it afterward. Maybe I'm getting old, but I can't generate the hate for sec coaches these days just bc they don't coach my team.

EdwardDrayton
09-07-2022, 01:28 PM
Her response was inappropriately mismatched. Winning is not a condition for being on time. It’s part of being a professional.

Lord McBuckethead
09-07-2022, 01:30 PM
She apologized because unlike Kelly, she is a decent human being and indeed professional. Not only because she was wrong. The entire situation was wrong, started by Sir Dipshit Asshat

Lord McBuckethead
09-07-2022, 01:30 PM
She was three minutes early, and again, she was not holding up the show.

Lord McBuckethead
09-07-2022, 01:34 PM
This entire thread was posted to outline her comment, when in fact he started the exchange and it should never have happened. If anything, he needs to shut his mouth and not be concerned with one reporter showing up late to his glamour shots.

Guess what guys, she doesn?t work for him. He can take his lame ass joke and shove it especially if the retort is going to piss some people off.

TrapGame
09-07-2022, 01:38 PM
This entire thread was posted to outline her comment, when in fact he started the exchange and it should never have happened. If anything, he needs to shut his mouth and not be concerned with one reporter showing up late to his glamour shots.

Guess what guys, she doesn?t work for him. He can take his lame ass joke and shove it especially if the retort is going to piss some people off.

This.

Kelly is a dick.

If you **** with somebody expect them to **** with you.

TUSK
09-07-2022, 01:58 PM
One more thought I had on this... While there's equitable "blame" to go around, it's not like BK has any "good will" built up with that cult. Dey payin' him $10M a year to have a more disciplined (stupid penalities), more fundamentally sound (2 muffed punts, 2 blocked kicks, etc), better performing team than that, IMO.

While the game was wildly entertaining, it was like 2 monkeys trying to hump a football... almost like neither wanted to win.

Commercecomet24
09-07-2022, 02:50 PM
One more thought I had on this... While there's equitable "blame" to go around, it's not like BK has any "good will" built up with that cult. Dey payin' him $10M a year to have a more disciplined (stupid penalities), more fundamentally sound (2 muffed punts, 2 blocked kicks, etc), better performing team than that, IMO.

While the game was wildly entertaining, it was like 2 monkeys trying to hump a football... almost like neither wanted to win.

Pretty good assessment on all accounts

TaleofTwoDogs
09-07-2022, 05:34 PM
A simple "Sorry coach" from her would have made this a non-issue.

BeardoMSU
09-07-2022, 07:12 PM

He didn't have to be an entitled douche, though. He gets paid 10 mil to coach a game....he's not the President. And you're right that she didn't "have" to escalate with her quip...but I probably wouldn't have taken the chiding either.

LC Dawg
09-07-2022, 07:38 PM
Someone said something they regretted and later apologized for it.
Not so long ago that would have been an example of living in a civilized society and everyone would have moved on.

confucius say
09-08-2022, 10:10 AM

That's true. But he started it. And he has no built up good will with the media or that fanbase right now. He came across as a pompous jerk.

PMDawg
09-08-2022, 10:47 AM

1. I'm not your bud

2. He was just trying to tell a joke and lighten the mood because he knew it was going to be a bad PC. It was a bad joke, fell flat (because he's as personable as a robot), and I'll even agree that it was in poor taste.

3. It was extremely unprofessional on her part, and I stand by my initial assessment of today's media members.

Lord McBuckethead
09-08-2022, 11:06 AM
Either way, try to start some shit from a perceived position of power, and don't be surprised when the target of your bullshit quip turns it back on you and goes for the jugular, especially when you didn't do your job on Sunday. I remember the saying, He without sin, cast the first stone. Before Kelly opens his mouth again, he better have his house in order. Good for her. She isn't there to take his shit.

Now, all involved have apologized and moved on, except for this one thread on an unrelated university board.

I would be 100% on board with him saying after he wins this week during the sideline after the game discussion, "I (Kelly) expect all media personnel to be ontime for the press conference on Tuesday." Now that would be funny, but he won't because he knows he is going to lose the next week to MSU.

Lord McBuckethead
09-08-2022, 11:07 AM
Well you act like a "Bud". Call them how I see them.

PMDawg
09-08-2022, 11:09 AM
Either way, try to start some shit from a perceived position of power, and don't be surprised when the target of your bullshit quip turns it back on you and goes for the jugular, especially when you didn't do your job on Sunday. I remember the saying, He without sin, cast the first stone. Before Kelly opens his mouth again, he better have his house in order. Good for her. She isn't there to take his shit.

Now, all involved have apologized and moved on, except for this one thread on an unrelated university board.

I would be 100% on board with him saying after he wins this week during the sideline after the game discussion, "I (Kelly) expect all media personnel to be ontime for the press conference on Tuesday." Now that would be funny, but he won't because he knows he is going to lose the next week to MSU.

Good enough for me.

I've always believed the axiom "if the news is about the journalist, they're doing it wrong". Paraphrased of course. That's all.

TrapGame
09-08-2022, 11:12 AM

It would be extremely tone deaf of BK to prison rape Southern U and say something like that. But, I can see it happening.

Then it opens up the LSU media to really rub it in if we beat them.

If he's that tone deaf he's gonna get eaten alive in Baton Rouge. It ain't South Bend.

msstate7
09-08-2022, 11:48 AM
Good enough for me.

I've always believed the axiom "if the news is about the journalist, they're doing it wrong". Paraphrased of course. That's all.

Report the story, not be the story