PDA

View Full Version : Will Rogers Arm Strength

Tater
09-05-2022, 06:00 PM
It's been about two days since the game thread and not a single Noodle Arm comment in sight. Almost like the kid needed time to grow up. 3 Long TD strikes that had zip. Several tight window throws with heat on them. Zero ED posters calling out his arm. A career high in passing yards. Elite depth at the receiver position.

If Will's arm looks this good the rest of the year, he's a Day 2-3 draft pick.

Lord McBuckethead
09-05-2022, 06:02 PM
He is never going to throw a 60 yard bomb, but if he throws the ball on time like the one to Ducking, there is literally nothing else that matters.

That is 100% a touchdown almost every single time.

99jc
09-05-2022, 06:04 PM
Will needs to develop a pump fake like drew breeze did without a cannon it is very effective.

Tater
09-05-2022, 06:06 PM
He is never going to throw a 60 yard bomb, but if he throws the ball on time like the one to Ducking, there is literally nothing else that matters.

That is 100% a touchdown almost every single time.

Not everyone is Brett Favre. Drew Brees made a lot of money. Those throws on the money to Ducking, Harvey, and Robinson deep and accurate are what you want. The extra arm strength is gravy. Throws like the Walley TD are the tight window throws w/ zip that you need. NFL scouts watch this game tape with his first real ~normal~ offseason of college training and nothing prior, he's looked at as an emerging young NFL talent. Who knew S&C might matter lmao

Tater
09-05-2022, 06:08 PM
Will needs to develop a pump fake like drew breeze did without a cannon it is very effective.

He's picked up the progressions better and faster. A good pump fake with your arm makes you elite, but it has to be built on moving the defense with your eyes. He clearly worked on moving safeties and zones w/ his eyes this year. But yes, a pump fake added can take it from good to great.

dawgoneyall
09-05-2022, 06:20 PM
Arm is too strong.....he over threw (walley i think) a wide open receiver many yards down the field.********

Todd4State
09-05-2022, 06:36 PM
NFL scouts and execs value different things in a QB differently than MSU fans. A lot of MSU fans want someone with Nick Fitzgerald's skill set. NFL wants someone that is accurate, can read defenses, and lead a team. Arm strength and mobility are luxuries outside of that.

msstate7
09-05-2022, 06:36 PM

Brees had a plus arm till he got old

msstate7
09-05-2022, 06:40 PM
Although I prefer a arm that can beat a team anywhere on the field, you can be a really good college qb with an arm that isn't very strong (see Danny wuerrfel)

Commercecomet24
09-05-2022, 07:01 PM

Yeah Brees had a very strong arm until
age got him. When I look at how strong a qbs arm is I want to see how he delivers a deep out from the far hash and is it on a line or does it float. That's what separates nfl qbs from good college qbs.

Leroy Jenkins
09-05-2022, 07:05 PM
QB "arm strength" is a little over-emphasized. Nearly every college QB has enough arm for verts and crossing routes. The throw I could never make is the out route to the sideline from the opposite hash; those are the throws that end up as Pick-6's for guys who don't have elite arms.

Leroy Jenkins
09-05-2022, 07:06 PM
Yeah Brees had a very strong arm until
age got him. When I look at how strong a qbs arm is I want to see how he delivers a deep out from the far hash and is it on a line or does it float. That's what separates nfl qbs from good college qbs.

Great minds and all that.

Commercecomet24
09-05-2022, 07:21 PM
QB "arm strength" is a little over-emphasized. Nearly every college QB has enough arm for verts and crossing routes. The throw I could never make is the out route to the sideline from the opposite hash; those are the throws that end up as Pick-6's for guys who don't have elite arms.

Bingo! If you can't make that out throw you won't be an nfl qb. If you watched Peyton Manning his last few years when his arm was gone all he threw were dig routes, crossers or fade type routes. Nothing to the outside because he couldn't make that throw anymore

Commercecomet24
09-05-2022, 07:22 PM
Great minds and all that.

Definitely 2 great minds at work!

Coach34
09-05-2022, 07:30 PM
Let's get into the season and play some big boys before we start crowing. He is very accurate up to 20 yards. Lets see him deliver vs some SEC teams down the field

viverlibre
09-05-2022, 07:34 PM
It's been about two days since the game thread and not a single Noodle Arm comment in sight. Almost like the kid needed time to grow up. 3 Long TD strikes that had zip. Several tight window throws with heat on them. Zero ED posters calling out his arm. A career high in passing yards. Elite depth at the receiver position.

If Will's arm looks this good the rest of the year, he's a Day 2-3 draft pick.

He looked good, but let's slow our roll, in two weeks, and on 1 October, we'll get a good reading.

Leroy Jenkins
09-05-2022, 07:37 PM
"Strength" is a little bit of a misnomer when you are talking about throwing, I would bet a brand new $20 dollar bill that Rogers can throw a football farther than any of the O-linemen.
But, I cant think of a better word to describe it myself.

Todd4State
09-05-2022, 09:04 PM

Even then Brees was most known for his accuracy and leadership.

Let's get into the season and play some big boys before we start crowing. He is very accurate up to 20 yards. Lets see him deliver vs some SEC teams down the field

That's a positive though. Because that's going to be the majority of the throws we're going to attempt and that's usually going to yield a first down. We're only going to throw it deep probably no more than 4-6 times a game if I had to guess. That's the case with a lot of offenses.

MaroonFlounder
09-06-2022, 08:45 PM
Only 2 bad plays by Will on the night that he would love to have back. (The INT was on Calvin)

The overthrow of Walley was disappointing.

Wally did a great job on that route beat 2 defenders and had 2-3 strides on them. If he connects on that pass, we are talking 500+ passing yards and 6TDs

And the lateral I wish he could have seen the DL jumping the route and pump faked prior to the throw.

Maverick91
09-06-2022, 09:01 PM
Only 2 bad plays by Will on the night that he would love to have back. (The INT was on Calvin)

Wally did a great job on that route beat 2 defenders and had 2-3 strides on them. If he connects on that pass, we are talking 500+ passing yards and 6TDs

And the lateral I wish he could have seen the DL jumping the route and pump faked prior to the throw.

Agreed! That overthrow is so annoying. Will is probably still killing himself on that throw. Watching his postgame interview gives me wool. He was frustrated after setting career high record and that?s good to see. I hope he connects with Walley on that throw a few times this game. They both deserve it.

BrunswickDawg
09-07-2022, 10:08 AM
Agreed! That overthrow is so annoying. Will is probably still killing himself on that throw. Watching his postgame interview gives me wool. He was frustrated after setting career high record and that?s good to see. I hope he connects with Walley on that throw a few times this game. They both deserve it.

He seems like he has Costello's 623 circled somewhere.

Maverick91
09-07-2022, 10:38 AM
He seems like he has Costello's 623 circled somewhere.

Right! I?d love to see it. Nothing against Costello but Will is a Bulldog through and through. I?d much rather him set that record and hold it.

Matt3467
09-07-2022, 12:16 PM

He had another pass I believe it was before the half where he had Calvin with nobody close to him on a short inside slant that he threw way behind him. Calvin made a great one handed catch but fell to the ground making it. If Will put that where it should've been it would have been a really big play.

chef dixon
09-07-2022, 12:34 PM
Call me a hater but he looked exactly the same to me as last year. Not that that is a horrible thing? Just didn't look different to me. Sample size 1 game.

BiscuitEater
09-07-2022, 12:43 PM
Call me a hater but he looked exactly the same to me as last year. Not that that is a horrible thing? Just didn't look different to me. Sample size 1 game.

BUT 38 of 49, one INT, 5 TDs, long of 35, 450 yards .. missed some BUT hit more. It was only the first game with a 2+ hour delay on his 2nd drive!

FISHDAWG
09-07-2022, 01:06 PM
BUT 38 of 49, one INT, 5 TDs, long of 35, 450 yards .. missed some BUT hit more. It was only the first game with a 2+ hour delay on his 2nd drive!

this ... not even Tiger Woods will hit 10 out of 10 putts within 5' ...... bottom line is everyone wants perfection but it's just not achievable ... Will had a GREAT game and there's no sense in fretting over a miss or two

BuckyIsAB****
09-07-2022, 07:51 PM

Ask A&M and Auburn about his arm. Or UGA. Or Arkansas. All he did was go about 70 yards in just over a minute to give us a chance in a game that was taken from us. You are one to talk about crowing my man

Maverick91
09-07-2022, 08:34 PM

I get where you are coming from. There were some throws that if he hit the guys in stride could have actually had some YAC, instead it was a catch and tackle. Also, throwing corner end zone routes were not good. I hope they had get those ironed out.

Coach34
09-07-2022, 08:48 PM
Ask A&M and Auburn about his arm. Or UGA. Or Arkansas. All he did was go about 70 yards in just over a minute to give us a chance in a game that was taken from us. You are one to talk about crowing my man

They will say the same thing I say- dude is very accurate up to 20 yards. Nothing he has done scares you down the field to this point. Good Secondary's can bait him into making mistakes down the field

BuckyIsAB****
09-07-2022, 08:55 PM
They will say the same thing I say- dude is very accurate up to 20 yards. Nothing he has done scares you down the field to this point. Good Secondary's can bait him into making mistakes down the field

Ok. I think they would say we lost or were extremely fortunate to have won. And they would also say he threw for about 350 multiple TDs and very few interceptions if any. But you know better

BuckyIsAB****
09-07-2022, 08:58 PM
His completion percentage is actually higher on deeper throws than it is short but carry on.

Coach34
09-07-2022, 09:07 PM
His completion percentage is actually higher on deeper throws than it is short but carry on.

There is no way the guy that leads the country in dump down passes to RB's has a higher percentage in deeper passes. Feel free to share that link with us at any time you want.

Coach34
09-07-2022, 09:10 PM
Ok. I think they would say we lost or were extremely fortunate to have won. And they would also say he threw for about 350 multiple TDs and very few interceptions if any. But you know better

I'm not hating on him. He's smart and very accurate short and intermediate. But he wasnt in McShay's top 20 QB's for a reason and you know why as biased as you are. We shall see if something changes and teams look to take a chance on him

FISHDAWG
09-08-2022, 07:36 AM
There is no way the guy that leads the country in dump down passes to RB's has a higher percentage in deeper passes. Feel free to share that link with us at any time you want.

in the words of the late great Buddy Ryan .... "All he does is throw touchdown passes" ..... he may not be Eric Zier but he is a threat to throw TD passes - and on a TD pass the length really doesn't matter does it ? I'll bet opposing SEC DC's see him as a threat

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2022, 08:13 AM
in the words of the late great Buddy Ryan .... "All he does is throw touchdown passes" ..... he may not be Eric Zier but he is a threat to throw TD passes - and on a TD pass the length really doesn't matter does it ? I'll bet opposing SEC DC's see him as a threat

My man EZ had cannon. Fun times at Marietta High in '89 & '90. But you are right - Will doesn't have to bomb it 40-50 yards to be effective. The biggest thing - and we saw it some Saturday - is hitting the targets in stride. When he does that this offense really clicks.

Walkerhill
09-08-2022, 08:55 AM

Is this right? In situations where we have to go downfield due to the clock he has done very well. I have a different take - he can make deeper throws just fine, but as a young player understandably made very conservative decisions in regular game situations. He has been so conservative in his decision making that it has allowed defense to sit In a 3-8 with a fairly shallow secondary. As he matures as a player he will grow into the offense and attack the field vertically as well as horizontally, as the offense is designed.

I think the comments from Leach about him seeing the field at an improved level this year speak to seeing more options vertically.

thf24
09-08-2022, 09:37 AM

Especially after they tried to jump the bubble screen just the play before. That was by far the most disappointing moment of the night for me, though I'm sure it'll be a valuable lesson going forward.

BuckyIsAB****
09-08-2022, 10:45 AM

Pretty sure it was shown about every game last year. Maybe there is a way that you are wrong? Whoever would have thought. You just love to be different and stir the pot its fine. The dump down passes to RBs is what makes the offense go. How is that any less exciting than split zone or power for 4 yards? You just dont like it.

BuckyIsAB****
09-08-2022, 10:47 AM

Last year in the first full year of running the offense with a liability at RT he had the 3rd highest adjusted completion percentage that PFF has ever had. Behind only Burrow and Mac Jones. I personally could care less about that but this just makes you eat it so Im sharing it

BuckyIsAB****
09-08-2022, 10:49 AM
I'm not hating on him. He's smart and very accurate short and intermediate. But he wasnt in McShay's top 20 QB's for a reason and you know why as biased as you are. We shall see if something changes and teams look to take a chance on him

I could care less about McShays top 20 Qbs. Means absolutely nothing. Less than nothing. Who does he coach for? Who does he play DB for? You are biased bc you have to keep up a persona on this board. Its ok

BuckyIsAB****
09-08-2022, 10:51 AM
We have some self proclaimed football guys on this board that are mad at a QB for throwing to a wide open RB rather than throwing it down field to covered WRs. Think about that for a second. Which one is more difficult? What world does that make sense in?

confucius say
09-08-2022, 11:08 AM
How do will's numbers on passes 10-20 yards and 20+ yards compare to the rest of the qb? My guess would be pretty good, especially considering he is throwing against 6-8 defenders every play.

Walkerhill
09-08-2022, 11:10 AM
We have some self proclaimed football guys on this board that are mad at a QB for throwing to a wide open RB rather than throwing it down field to covered WRs. Think about that for a second. Which one is more difficult? What world does that make sense in?

Some of this discussion is just an annoying pissing contest between big egos.

But for the sake of a discussion, is there a middle ground position that is not about passing to covered wr just for the sake of it, but rather finding vertical plays within the scope of the offense to open up the 2-3 yards that allow the running backs and underneath routes to receive and turn in open space vs getting blown up?

He showed late in games against AU and Ark last year that he can open up the offense vertically when he has to, and when he does it is hard to stop.

FISHDAWG
09-08-2022, 11:16 AM

and a LOT of us understand he's doing exactly what he's coached to do ... and understand that he is our guy from a stable full of 4-star QB's behind him

Maverick91
09-08-2022, 11:43 AM
How do will's numbers on passes 10-20 yards and 20+ yards compare to the rest of the qb? My guess would be pretty good, especially considering he is throwing against 6-8 defenders every play.

I?ll add that State had 10 explosive passing plays (longer than 15 yards) for a total of 242 yards with four resulting in touchdowns. That?s over half of Wills yards in explosive plays. I think it might get watered down some due to the volume of passes that aren?t 15+ yards.

Edit: https://hailstate.com/news/2022/9/4/football-postgame-notes-memphis-at-mississippi-state.aspx

BrunswickDawg
09-08-2022, 12:16 PM
I?ll add that State had 10 explosive passing plays (longer than 15 yards) for a total of 242 yards with four resulting in touchdowns. That?s over half of Wills yards in explosive plays. I think it might get watered down some due to the volume of passes that aren?t 15+ yards.

Edit: https://hailstate.com/news/2022/9/4/football-postgame-notes-memphis-at-mississippi-state.aspx

Just to add a bit to that - he had 19 pass plays that gained more than 10 yards. So half of his completions gained 10+ yards, and half of those went for more than 15. I don't really care that none of those went for 40 yards or more. I'll take yards in chunks of 10-15 yards all day long. http://cfbstats.com/2022/leader/911/player/split01/category32/sort01.html

Catfish
09-08-2022, 12:18 PM

Haters gonna hate. They don't like Leach and our offense so Will's gonna take the heat.

Catfish
09-08-2022, 12:19 PM
and a LOT of us understand he's doing exactly what he's coached to do ... and understand that he is our guy from a stable full of 4-star QB's behind him

Good post.

Cowbell
09-08-2022, 12:58 PM
Anybody questioning Wills ability at this point is laughable. He's gonna make mistakes at times but he is freaking good at what he does. There is no question he will get drafted, just depends on the year at this point.

Coach34
09-08-2022, 01:21 PM
Just to add a bit to that - he had 19 pass plays that gained more than 10 yards. So half of his completions gained 10+ yards, and half of those went for more than 15. I don't really care that none of those went for 40 yards or more. I'll take yards in chunks of 10-15 yards all day long. http://cfbstats.com/2022/leader/911/player/split01/category32/sort01.html

And if that continues everybody will be happy as a clam. I personally think it was from playing a bad football team.

We were 9th in the SEC last year of 20+ plays and 13th in 30+. We'll see if that improves this season. It should.

Captain Falcon
09-08-2022, 02:17 PM
Maybe he doesn?t have the strongest arm in the league but his accuracy is the best we?ve ever had and it?s not close.

For me it?s similar to how people use to complain about Fitzgerald. Maybe there are areas where he is not as good as others, but his best traits often do not get enough credit.

Cowbell
09-08-2022, 05:54 PM
Maybe he doesn?t have the strongest arm in the league but his accuracy is the best we?ve ever had and it?s not close.

For me it?s similar to how people use to complain about Fitzgerald. Maybe there are areas where he is not as good as others, but his best traits often do not get enough credit.

This is a pretty good assessment! Fans will go out of their way to make sure to put as much blame on him as they can like we could do better. The kid will own every passing record there is when he lives here and he plays above his talent level week in and week out. I have frustrations with Leachs system but I don't let that boil over onto the players that are asked to run it. If Will was at Ole Miss, we would all hate him.