PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead

ZedFedder
09-01-2022, 08:10 PM
Don?t look now but Akron is tied with St Francis with under 5 minutes left. Sheesh he can?t coach.

No BS Dawg
09-01-2022, 08:14 PM
I wonder if all the Akron players had their fingers measured for championship rings?***

Coach34
09-01-2022, 08:22 PM
Shocking to absolutely nobody.

Good football mind but he is not a HC. He doesnt project discipline or toughness. He would make alot more money and be alot more successful as a P5 OC

PGHBulldogBG
09-01-2022, 08:22 PM
St Francis is a very small school here in Southwest PA near where I live. I don’t think they have ever beat a d1 team. Moorhead is a mess as a head coach. He needs to stick to OC

HoopsDawg
09-01-2022, 08:40 PM
Shocking to absolutely nobody.

Good football mind but he is not a HC. He doesnt project discipline or toughness. He would make alot more money and be alot more successful as a P5 OC

I'm not sure he's a great OC. He certainly understands RPO's, but he was loaded with talent at Penn State.

Coach34
09-01-2022, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure he's a great OC. He certainly understands RPO's, but he was loaded with talent at Penn State.

I never said great- I said good. He has had success over the years. His decisions at State does leave one to wonder

cheewgumm
09-01-2022, 10:02 PM
He's terrible. i don't even think he was a good OC. Horrendous head coach.

Cohen is lucky (imo) he didnt get fired for that one.

Moorhead showed up at State and I'm convinced he didnt know our team. I bet he never watched our film before he got here. He coached like he had the 85 Bears and coached them like BYU back in the 80s...just brain dead.

I'll never get over it. It was soooo dumb.

cheewgumm
09-01-2022, 10:04 PM
He was also very petty

CaptainObvious
09-01-2022, 10:59 PM
He was also very petty

The dickens you say? The guy was so electrifyingly sensitive he could fire up a light bulb between his ass cheeks.

Todd4State
09-02-2022, 12:59 AM

Moorhead showed up at State and I'm convinced he didnt know our team. I bet he never watched our film before he got here. He coached like he had the 85 Bears and coached them like BYU back in the 80s...just brain dead.

He had the 85 Bears defense SEC version when he got here.

I still say that was a tough situation because we had a veteran defense and a QB that had set some records for us along with some good backs. Honestly our WR's were lacking in hindsight and Fitz was never a great passer. Asking Fitz to make three or four reads while a play was progressing was probably a little too much on his plate.

In hindsight we should have hired Leach and brought in Minchew taking the PR hit pushing Fitz out or we should have hired someone that ran the spread option like Dan did.

Maverick91
09-02-2022, 07:20 AM
I was in Akron on Wednesday and chilling in the team hotel. I kept seeing the Akron players walk around and I was thinking ?I don?t like Akron? but I couldn?t remember why until I started to google them and I saw Moorhead was their coach and it clicked.

Yes, as y?all all said he was and seems to be a bad fit for a head coaching job. I think his offense works with highly talented players. That?s it.

BrunswickDawg
09-02-2022, 07:32 AM

I still say that was a tough situation because we had a veteran defense and a QB that had set some records for us along with some good backs. Honestly our WR's were lacking in hindsight and Fitz was never a great passer. Asking Fitz to make three or four reads while a play was progressing was probably a little too much on his plate.

In hindsight we should have hired Leach and brought in Minchew taking the PR hit pushing Fitz out or we should have hired someone that ran the spread option like Dan did.

Fitz wasn't a great passer - but he was more than serviceable when he had decent WR to throw to. in '16 with Ross and Gray his 2400+ yards was our 4th best season ever. But our WR in '17 were all injured and in '18 couldn't catch a cold.

Bringing Leach and Minchew in '18 would have tanked that season even further - and would have completely soured our fan base on Leach even more than it did on SloMo. There was no one to throw to. The reason the Mustachioed QB did so well at WSU was he was surrounded by an offensive unit that knew that system very well. No way he repeats that at MSU in '18 with a team built for a power run game.

Johnson85
09-02-2022, 08:38 AM

There is no "or". We were built to win immediately with a power spread option coach. If you're MSU, you just can't give up a roster like we had in 2018 to tinker.

tcdog70
09-02-2022, 08:49 AM
Fitz wasn't a great passer - but he was more than serviceable when he had decent WR to throw to. in '16 with Ross and Gray his 2400+ yards was our 4th best season ever. But our WR in '17 were all injured and in '18 couldn't catch a cold.

Bringing Leach and Minchew in '18 would have tanked that season even further - and would have completely soured our fan base on Leach even more than it did on SloMo. There was no one to throw to. The reason the Mustachioed QB did so well at WSU was he was surrounded by an offensive unit that knew that system very well. No way he repeats that at MSU in '18 with a team built for a power run game.

Go back and see how many dropped passes Fitz's wr had. With our defense and a power running game-we should have won 10 games easily. Fitz the toughest SOB to ever wear the maroon.

chef dixon
09-02-2022, 09:46 AM
370 total yards on a high school team. Love it

StarkVegasSteve
09-02-2022, 10:00 AM
Listened to his postgame presser and I think he tried to fit in every corny saying he had for two years here into a 8 minute press conference

thf24
09-02-2022, 10:07 AM

This is something I think a lot of people still fail to realize when trying to predict the potential of the Air Raid against returning experience. Enough WR's knowing the offense inside and out is every bit as important as it is for the QB, possibly more so depending on the situation.

TrapGame
09-02-2022, 10:59 AM
Had to win in OT vs St. Francis.

Catfish
09-02-2022, 11:03 AM
This is something I think a lot of people still fail to realize when trying to predict the potential of the Air Raid against returning experience. Enough WR's knowing the offense inside and out is every bit as important as it is for the QB, possibly more so depending on the situation.

Good post. I might add that it is equally important for our receivers to run their route and FINISH their route. We had some guys quit on their routes last year.

BrunswickDawg
09-02-2022, 01:37 PM
Go back and see how many dropped passes Fitz's wr had. With our defense and a power running game-we should have won 10 games easily. Fitz the toughest SOB to ever wear the maroon.

You don't have to sell me on Fitz - I spent alot of time get bashed on here for defending Fitz. And the drops are exactly what I'm talking about when I said our WR in '18 couldn't catch a cold. Those drops for Fitz would have been multiplied 10x if we had been running an Air Raid in '18 with Minchew. Fitz did have an obvious ceiling on his talent, but for a guy who had thrown fewer than 100 passes in football games prior to coming to MSU, he did damn well for himself and MSU.

memsu06
09-02-2022, 03:32 PM
Fitz was a baller. I remember many times the receivers just didn't catch the ball that hit their hands or was catchable.

Fitz did put the heat on the ball though and I'm sure some of those balls weren't really catchable.

We now have 2nd and 3rd team WRs that would have been starters on the 2018 team.

This is our breakout year and we're going to steal some wins.

Turfdawg67
09-02-2022, 05:56 PM

You are right about his head coaching abilities and absolutely wrong about Cohen being "lucky". Moorhead was considered the #1 or 2 top assistants in the country and considered by most (not just State fans) as a Homerun hire. Sometimes you miss even though you think your hiring the next "Dan Mullen". (Quotes because to most of y'all, Dan was the sh*t).

Lord McBuckethead
09-02-2022, 06:43 PM
Not to mention, our QB broke his leg to end the season before. Dude wasn?t the same when he came back.

Lord McBuckethead
09-02-2022, 06:44 PM
Yep. Everyone thought Morehead was ready. Hell, most everyone here was good with the hire. Until we played Kentucky and we couldn?t scheme against one DE.

TrapGame
09-02-2022, 07:09 PM
Yep. Everyone thought Morehead was ready. Hell, most everyone here was good with the hire. Until we played Kentucky and we couldn?t scheme against one DE.

Snake oil salesman.

WhiskeyPirate
09-02-2022, 08:28 PM
This really shows a lack of football knowledge by the AD. You have a team completely built to run a certain system then bring in a round peg for a square hole.

Reason2succeed
09-03-2022, 08:12 AM
Everyone forgets how terrible WRs were under Mullen. I?m not taking up for Moorhead but I?m not sure any coach would have done well with the lack of WR talent we had. It?s probably the reason why Mullen was so determined to leave knowing that defense was stacked. His aura of being an offensive genius was about to take a major hit if he rolled out that offense with such a dominant defense.

Seriously, please tell me which WRs from the entire Mullen era would have started on this 2022 team? Maybe Bumphis and Bear, maybe.

viverlibre
09-03-2022, 08:25 AM
This really shows a lack of football knowledge by the AD. You have a team completely built to run a certain system then bring in a round peg for a square hole.

He's actually done this in consecutive hires.

Reason2succeed
09-03-2022, 08:38 AM

No, Cohen was trying to change Mississippi State?s football identity. Mullen proved that we would never be competitive with Alabama without a high powered passing offense. Meanwhile Hugh Freeze actually beat Saban.

I think Cohen saw Moorhead as a middle ground compromise. Moorhead?s offense had a lot of passing but still featured the RB like Saquon Barkley. I can see how Cohen thought that Moorhead would do well with Kylin Hill. No, it didn?t work out.

Football has changed. Even Saban at Alabama is running a pass heavy offense. Hiring Leach was a great decision because even if it doesn?t work he will change the culture and the roster. It will be very easy to pick up a TE and feature RB if we have to change systems. That?s much easier that finding a whole WR corp.

PGHBulldogBG
09-03-2022, 08:42 AM
Cohen made a horrible hire with Moorhead, but he fixed it. I have no problems with any of our current 4 coaches in the main 4 sports. Football and mens basketball are most important to me and I think Leach is solid and Jans was a homerun. He redeemed himself for the Moorhead fiasco

Catfish
09-03-2022, 09:26 AM
Cohen made a horrible hire with Moorhead, but he fixed it. I have no problems with any of our current 4 coaches in the main 4 sports. Football and mens basketball are most important to me and I think Leach is solid and Jans was a homerun. He redeemed himself for the Moorhead fiasco

Good post.

BrunswickDawg
09-03-2022, 10:00 AM
Everyone forgets how terrible WRs were under Mullen. I?m not taking up for Moorhead but I?m not sure any coach would have done well with the lack of WR talent we had. It?s probably the reason why Mullen was so determined to leave knowing that defense was stacked. His aura of being an offensive genius was about to take a major hit if he rolled out that offense with such a dominant defense.

Seriously, please tell me which WRs from the entire Mullen era would have started on this 2022 team? Maybe Bumphis and Bear, maybe.

Fred Ross and Donald Gray both would have been monsters in Leach's system. Possibly Chris Smith and Fred Brown too.

Reason2succeed
09-03-2022, 11:15 AM
Fred Ross and Donald Gray both would have been monsters in Leach's system. Possibly Chris Smith and Fred Brown too.

I think those guys would have fit in but I?m not positive any of them would have been a sure fire starter. Yes, Fred Ross put up big numbers but even the NFL shows that he was nothing special. I think RaRa and possibly Ducking have NFL possibility.

Goldendawg
09-03-2022, 12:20 PM
I think those guys would have fit in but I?m not positive any of them would have been a sure fire starter. Yes, Fred Ross put up big numbers but even the NFL shows that he was nothing special. I think RaRa and possibly Ducking have NFL possibility.

I hope you are right about Ducking. Great fall we are told. Now we will see if it relates to game time. Results last year were a very long way from the NFL. Hail State!