PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart Out

DEDawg
08-29-2022, 01:32 PM
https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/mississippi-state/91211

Things that stood out to me:
-Walley lost his starting spot (not a huge deal he'll get a ton of PT)
-Cole Smith at G not C
-Pickering should be solid, but isn't starting and never really lived up to the hype
-Jalen Green starting at the other S spot. Big deal he was able to come in here and lock up that position, think he has a good year and plays himself into a day 3 pick

vv83
08-29-2022, 01:41 PM
If Jaden isn?t a starter it just speaks to how good our WR room is since we know he has SEC starter talent. And like you said he will get a ton of PT regardless

KOdawg1
08-29-2022, 01:43 PM
These depth charts are darn near pointless

Coach34
08-29-2022, 01:45 PM

Yep. Remember some people may be starting because the person ahead of them missed some classes or did something else in the offseason to either miss a start or a half, etc.

Goldendawg
08-29-2022, 01:52 PM
https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/mississippi-state/91211

-Cole Smith at G not C
-Pickering should be solid, but isn't starting and never really lived up to the hype
-Jalen Green starting at the other S spot. Big deal he was able to come in here and lock up that position, think he has a good year and plays himself into a day 3 pick

Sharp became starting center early last year and played very well. Was granted a 6th year of eligibility, a big plus for us. Smith played at guard most of last year and had off season surgery. Recovered and back.
Crumedy is recovering from hand injury and should be ready for next game, we are told.
I want to see Ducking live up to off season and fall practice hype.
Dollar's move up to LT and success there is critical to our offense.

WhiskeyPirate
08-29-2022, 01:53 PM
Especially at reciever, this is just a platoon system. PT won’t matter too much if u r starting or second team IMO. Now what they do with their PT will determine who gets more reps as the season goes on. Should be interesting to watch how they do their first game...especially the o line.

Vegas seems to think we are going to lay the wood to Memphis, I agree.

HancockCountyDog
08-29-2022, 02:37 PM
Who knows if accurate - but if it is, we have 9 seniors, 1 junior most likely leaving early and a junior on defense.

That tells me two things:

1) I don't see anyone running the ball on us this year.

2) We better win some damn games this year, because we will be losing a ton after this year.

I say 9 wins still.

thf24
08-29-2022, 02:53 PM
I don't think Walley's ever held a solo starting spot on a published depth chart more than sporadically. He's obviously going to play a lot and depth charts mean very little, but it still makes me wonder what he's still not doing in year 3 that keeps him from getting that recognition.

R2Dawg
08-29-2022, 03:04 PM
The second WR group is pretty good.

Hargrove didn't make 3rd team? Whats up with that? I was excited to see some of him this year. This keeps up, he may transfer.

So Banks can't get a starting role at MSU either?

I know these things are fluid and don't mean a whole lot but then again it does say who coaches have confidence in to start the year. I expect some tweaks before LSU.

Goldendawg
08-29-2022, 03:31 PM
Who knows if accurate - but if it is, we have 9 seniors, 1 junior most likely leaving early and a junior on defense.

2) We better win some damn games this year, because we will be losing a ton after this year.

I say 9 wins still.

Several of our starters are listed as RS SR, so they have one more year eligibility after this season if they so desire, correct? I assume most are NFL bound with a good year.

Reason2succeed
08-29-2022, 04:29 PM
I want to see Rufus Harvey and Caleb Ducking. If these guys are really playing like people are reporting we could do special things.

BayouDawg
08-29-2022, 04:38 PM
The second WR group is pretty good.

Hargrove didn't make 3rd team? Whats up with that? I was excited to see some of him this year. This keeps up, he may transfer.

So Banks can't get a starting role at MSU either?

I know these things are fluid and don't mean a whole lot but then again it does say who coaches have confidence in to start the year. I expect some tweaks before LSU.

Yeah I was looking forward to seeing him too. He apparently had trouble catching the ball and fumbled some in fall camp. Price supposedly had a really good camp though.

Homedawg
08-29-2022, 04:51 PM

Correct

Dawgfan77
08-29-2022, 05:48 PM

I say 9 wins still.

Some SR have a covid year next year. Baring something crazy we could return crumedy Pickering and young off DL. Kam and Dolla could get covid year as well on OL.

CaptainObvious
08-29-2022, 06:19 PM
Seems like Steve said this morning that Walley still has the one bugaboo that has affected him all 3 years. He is still dropping some catchable balls. With his quickness in small spaces, he needs to wear lots of stickem and make some plays. He is still probably the quickest receiver out there. Means nothing if the ball is laying on the ground.

HoopsDawg
08-29-2022, 06:55 PM
Are we sure Tulu shouldn't be at Z?

BuckyIsAB****
08-29-2022, 07:02 PM
Walley aint quicker than Rufus Harvey. Rufus is going to turn those stick routes into 15-20 yard gains if he has space

Coach34
08-29-2022, 07:37 PM
Some SR have a covid year next year. Baring something crazy we could return crumedy Pickering and young off DL. Kam and Dolla could get covid year as well on OL.

alot of those guys are going to try to sign FA contracts and try to make a squad. Plus there are the other football leagues they will take a shot at.

NCMSTFAN
08-31-2022, 07:32 AM

-Cole Smith at G not C

Walley not listed as a starter is surprising to me considering how much potential he showed his freshman year. I agree he will get alot of playing time but it makes you wonder if there is something in practice he isn't doing well.

Coach34
08-31-2022, 08:34 AM
I agree he will get alot of playing time but it makes you wonder if there is something in practice he isn't doing well.

It's called not catching the ball consistently

TrapGame
08-31-2022, 08:49 AM
Walley aint quicker than Rufus Harvey. Rufus is going to turn those stick routes into 15-20 yard gains if he has space

Listening to Austin talk about Rufus yesterday got me kinda woolly. Rufus got high praise from him.

Extendedcab
08-31-2022, 08:49 AM
He just needs a little stickem on his hands! *****

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSNfUapUEAEFg5V.jpg

Johnson85
08-31-2022, 09:17 AM
It's called not catching the ball consistently

I guess I have selective memory but I didn't realize he wasn't reliable catching. Thought he was great as a freshman and battling injuries as a sophomore. Only bad drop I remember was against Ole Miss last year when we dropped two TD passes in a row, only one of which was Walley I think?

Captain Falcon
08-31-2022, 09:20 AM
I guess I have selective memory but I didn't realize he wasn't reliable catching. Thought he was great as a freshman and battling injuries as a sophomore. Only bad drop I remember was against Ole Miss last year when we dropped two TD passes in a row, only one of which was Walley I think?

Walley wasn?t involved in any of that. The first two were Marks, the third was Tulu.

Coach34
08-31-2022, 09:37 AM

He's not Stonehands or anything but the guys are graded every day at practice and let's just say he's not getting an A

Jarius
08-31-2022, 09:41 AM
He's not Stonehands or anything but the guys are graded every day at practice and let's just say he's not getting an A

Walley has had his best camp of his career. He or Ducking will be the best receiver on our roster this year.

CaptainObvious
08-31-2022, 09:53 AM
Walley has had his best camp of his career. He or Ducking will be the best receiver on our roster this year.

So you are saying he is only dropping 3 out 10 as opposed to 5 out of 10? That WOULD be an improvement.

Jarius
08-31-2022, 09:58 AM
So you are saying he is only dropping 3 out 10 as opposed to 5 out of 10? That WOULD be an improvement.

He has been extremely consistent in camp. Anyone taking that depth chart seriously is mistaken. Crumedy won't even dress for months. Last year that depth chart had a walk on starting at tailback for then entire year on it. It's not correct and Walley hasn't had a bad camp at all. The exact opposite, actually. You don't have to take my word for it either. Literally every single media member that attended every day of training camp is saying the exact same thing about Walley. Practices were open to the media. It isn't some big secret that he routinely stood out.

Coach34
08-31-2022, 10:06 AM
nobody is saying the guy isnt electric at times

PMDawg
08-31-2022, 10:21 AM
He has been extremely consistent in camp. Anyone taking that depth chart seriously is mistaken. Crumedy won't even dress for months. Last year that depth chart had a walk on starting at tailback for then entire year on it. It's not correct and Walley hasn't had a bad camp at all. The exact opposite, actually. You don't have to take my word for it either. Literally every single media member that attended every day of training camp is saying the exact same thing about Walley. Practices were open to the media. It isn't some big secret that he routinely stood out.

Yeah, ourlads.com isn't official by any means. We should see the official one soon, probably tomorrow. Ourlads should be treated as a best guess, at best.

Jack Lambert
08-31-2022, 10:35 AM
I want to see them in a game to see if any of them will be good. Some guys suck in practice but looks like all americans in games. Some guys look like all americans in practice but suck in games. Some guy look good in both.

Goldendawg
08-31-2022, 10:44 AM
"It's practice. You guys are talking about practice," Allen Iverson. Saturday and games to come will separate the winners from the pretenders.

Jarius
08-31-2022, 10:48 AM
nobody is saying the guy isnt electric at times

No but someone did say he isn't being graded well at practice. This has been his best/most consistent camp, per virtually every media member that has attended camp. They have no reason to single him out specifically on daily practice reports but they do.

Cowbell
08-31-2022, 03:13 PM

Wasn't he a last minute take in recruiting / wasn't he way under-rated?

Goldendawg
08-31-2022, 03:24 PM
Wasn't he a last minute take in recruiting / wasn't he way under-rated?

Yes. Committed to Arkansas State or someone. Size probably hurt him at the time.

KOdawg1
08-31-2022, 04:12 PM
Rufus ain't exactly a cheetah...but he makes up for it with good route running.

99jc
08-31-2022, 04:18 PM
"It's practice. You guys are talking about practice," Allen Iverson. Saturday and games to come will separate the winners from the pretenders.

consistency in practice is what Leach demands first. when you are only running 5-7 routes you had better catch the damn ball 80% of the time

viverlibre
09-01-2022, 02:00 PM
Austin returning punts again? He's solid as a pass receiver, but looks lost fielding punts. Hopefully ourlads is just reposting that from last year.

Goldendawg
09-01-2022, 02:09 PM
Austin returning punts again? He's solid as a pass receiver, but looks lost fielding punts. Hopefully ourlads is just reposting that from last year.

Trust our coaches, but it's hard to believe that with all the RB, WR, and CB's we have on the roster that we have no one who can both catch the punt but is more elusive and faster than Williams on the return. Our Special Teams were not very special on punt returns last year. Tulu is electric on KO returns. Can he or others not cleanly field a punt and get some return yards?

HancockCountyDog
09-01-2022, 02:14 PM

Is Pegues out of eligibility?

What I wouldn't give for an explosive PR.

Is there any reason that Tulu can't return punts.

dawgman15
09-01-2022, 02:29 PM
The word from last year was that Tulu has trouble catching punts. The only reliable punt catcher we have is Austin Williams. Word is that Emmanuel Forbes could be used sparingly for PRs

Goldendawg
09-01-2022, 02:47 PM
The word from last year was that Tulu has trouble catching punts. The only reliable punt catcher we have is Austin Williams. Word is that Emmanuel Forbes could be used sparingly for PRs

So we have one guy on our roster that can reliably catch a punt. That's a big recruiting failure. A very big % of our roster is WR, RB, and CB's and only one can catch a punt? Very concerning as all aspects of Special Teams can be the margin of victory in a close game.

Johnson85
09-01-2022, 02:55 PM

I know it's somewhat different now with Leach, but damn if all the talk about Walley doesn't remind me of so many prior WRs we've had hyped up.

I was pretty optimistic about having a Walley (hopefully healthy), Tulu, Austin Williams, and Jamire Calvin back and knowing we have enough younger guys coming up that Leach should be able to find some players to fill the gaps, but I don't know what to think about our two most hyped receivers being a 5th year player that caught 9 receptions last year and a 3rd year player that caught 5 receptions last year. I know between Polk, Walley, Austin Williams, Tulu, and Jamire Calvin we had a lot of experienced players to throw to, but still...

PMDawg
09-01-2022, 03:14 PM
LOL - WRs will not be an issue this year.

Goldendawg
09-01-2022, 03:30 PM
Will be year to step up quickly. 3 deep at "Z" receiver on depth chart listed here have fewer than about a dozen catches in game action. We will know soon. Hail State!

Coach34
09-01-2022, 07:59 PM

We put Williams back there to catch the punt and avoid the ball rolling and hurting field position. We arent concerned about a return.

HoopsDawg
09-01-2022, 10:16 PM

nothing is more demoralizing to a defense than a muffed punt.

Homedawg
09-01-2022, 10:20 PM
Leach was asked tonight to name his top 3 WR. So instead he gave his top three inside and too 3 outside. Wallet wasn't mentioned. Doesn't mean much I know. Just providing what he said.

Johnson85
09-02-2022, 08:34 AM
nothing is more demoralizing to a defense than a muffed punt.

False. A muffed punt after you gave up any chance of a kick return to put a "sure handed" guy back there is more demoralizing. Man did we have so many 17ups last year to allow the refs to hand over the game to memphis last year.

FISHDAWG
09-02-2022, 09:12 AM
We put Williams back there to catch the punt and avoid the ball rolling and hurting field position. We arent concerned about a return.

this !!! Austin has good hands and if my memory serves correctly he has only fumbled once ... That's WAY better than me cringing every time someone was punting the ball to us - I'll take Austin fielding punts all day long

Goldendawg
09-02-2022, 11:11 AM
Why do we at this point do we have no one on the roster who can not only securely catch a punt, but get return yards or dare so be a threat to flip field position or score? The games I watched last night had a PR that could do this. Having Williams puts no pressure on the opposition's ST. You know there will be no return yards and so does the other coach.

TrapGame
09-02-2022, 11:19 AM
Why do we at this point do we have no one on the roster who can not only securely catch a punt, but get return yards or dare so be a threat to flip field position or score? The games I watched last night had a PR that could do this. Having Williams puts no pressure on the opposition's ST. You know there will be no return yards and so does the other coach.

That's why I'd love to see Hargrove and Price get a shot at PR.

Coach34
09-02-2022, 11:29 AM
Why do we at this point do we have no one on the roster who can not only securely catch a punt, but get return yards or dare so be a threat to flip field position or score? .

Because punt return is very time consuming and is usually your most penalized ST. Lot easier to just set up and catch the punt as well as avoiding mistakes

thf24
09-02-2022, 11:34 AM

A great punt returner needs a deeper skill set than meets the eye and seems like it would be a pretty hard one to recruit out of high school as a focus. In addition to the all-around athleticism, there's an important mental aspect to it similar to that of a kicker that you really can't judge for sure until you see it on the field against real competition at your level. And a lot of the time guys with this specific skill set, for whatever reason, aren't great at any other position (see the NFL), so it seems like it would be hard to justify blowing a bunch of scholarships in a shotgun approach trying to land a great return man when the worst case alternative is just putting a sure handed fair catch guy back there if you don't get lucky with a receiver or corner in any particular year.

Commercecomet24
09-02-2022, 11:35 AM
Because punt return is very time consuming and is usually your most penalized ST. Lot easier to just set up and catch the punt as well as avoiding mistakes

This, unless you just have a wide open field in front of you. So many mistakes and turnovers happen on punt returns(oh and injuries too)..

Goldendawg
09-02-2022, 01:41 PM

Other teams seem to feel that this is time well spent. Hail State!

WhiskeyPirate
09-02-2022, 02:08 PM
That's why I'd love to see Hargrove and Price get a shot at PR.

That would be ideal. Price apparently has skills and athleticism that jumps out at you plus he’s 216 pounds. Hargrove is a burner. I’d like to see those guys get a shot. Dortch or Tula would also be dangerous.

Goldendawg
09-02-2022, 02:16 PM
That would be ideal. Price apparently has skills and athleticism that jumps out at you plus he’s 216 pounds. Hargrove is a burner. I’d like to see those guys get a shot. Dortch or Tula would also be dangerous.

Get a comfortable lead this week and next and give them a chance!

Coach34
09-03-2022, 01:56 AM
Other teams seem to feel that this is time well spent. Hail State!

Yep. It's a philosophy thing. Go check stats and find me a team that returns more than 1 punt for a TD in a season. Teams average punting about 55 times a season. So you're lucky if you get 1 punt return for a TD in 55 punts.

There were 293 punt returns in the SEC last year. This doesnt count fair catches obviously. In 293 punt returns- there were 7 returned for a TD with Bama and Georgia having 3 of them. So in the other 290 punt returns- there were 4 returned for TD. I'm willing to bet there were 30 plus penalties on punt returns combined.

My philosophy in HS? My teams try to block every punt. We make teams max protect so they cant cover like they want. We always get more out of punt block than any return. College is obviously different due to specialists and such- but its still something you can do to put pressure on teams.

Coach34
09-03-2022, 02:01 AM
The Big Ten also had 7 punt return TD's in 2021 and the ACC had 4.

Just not alot of return when measuring time spent

WhiskeyPirate
09-03-2022, 10:43 AM
The Big Ten also had 7 punt return TD's in 2021 and the ACC had 4.

Just not alot of return when measuring time spent

Have you seen the Pulaski Academy HS team out of Arkansas that never punts ? Their coach plays the odds of converting on fourth down vs field position of punting. They beat Madison Ridgeland Academy 48-40 last night.

Goldendawg
09-03-2022, 12:10 PM
Yep. It's a philosophy thing. Go check stats and find me a team that returns more than 1 punt for a TD in a season. Teams average punting about 55 times a season. So you're lucky if you get 1 punt return for a TD in 55 punts.

There were 293 punt returns in the SEC last year. This doesnt count fair catches obviously. In 293 punt returns- there were 7 returned for a TD with Bama and Georgia having 3 of them. So in the other 290 punt returns- there were 4 returned for TD. I'm willing to bet there were 30 plus penalties on punt returns combined.

My philosophy in HS? My teams try to block every punt. We make teams max protect so they cant cover like they want. We always get more out of punt block than any return. College is obviously different due to specialists and such- but its still something you can do to put pressure on teams.

Thanks. Very informative info. I know there are very few punt returns for TD, but what was the average yards returned per punt return, rather than our philosophy of a sure handed "return man" with little to no positive return yardage? A good return can flip the field or change momentum.