PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Commerce, you going to share that $12.6 mill with your buds on ED

TaleofTwoDogs
08-28-2022, 04:31 PM
Mantle 1952 rookie card just sold for a record $12.6 million in auction. I knew I should have kept my baseball cards.

Todd4State
08-28-2022, 04:39 PM
What was the grade? Like a 9 or 10.

Commercecomet24
08-28-2022, 04:49 PM
Lol I wish I had an original. I've got reprints of that one and I've got a Topps refractor reprint card of that one that's worth about 1k. I do have about a million baseball cards in my collection and some fairly valuable ones but nothing even close to that!

TaleofTwoDogs
08-28-2022, 04:50 PM
In was mint condition, graded as a 9.5 and the finest known. Discovered in 1985.

Commercecomet24
08-28-2022, 04:51 PM
Yep the the Mick card and the Honus Wagner, if you had either one you could retire on it lol

Saltydog
08-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Lol I wish I had an original. I've got reprints of that one and I've got a Topps refractor reprint card of that one that's worth about 1k. I do have about a million baseball cards in my collection and some fairly valuable ones but nothing even close to that!

Big card collector here myself, well or used to be.....I think the earliest Mick I have is '64 or '65 but I've got a double closet full that I never let go of over the years.....I know I've got every standard issue Topps set from 73-date but the cards I'm proudest of are my Maravich, Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Bird/Johnson and Ryan rookies.....Card prices have dropped overall in value the last several years so no need to sell them now.......Wished I bought up a few Brady r/c a few years ago when they were relatively cheap.......They're getting outrageous now.......

basedog
08-28-2022, 05:24 PM
I had about 2 bags full of Topps baseball cards from the mid 50’s to early 60’s. My mother in early 70’s cleaning out closets threw them away. One can only imagine of thousands of dollars gone, LOL

Loved the Yankees! The Mantle/Maris battled to break Ruth’s home run record was a huge National Sports/News story back then. Man those were great days, oh how times have changed.

Commercecomet24
08-28-2022, 06:25 PM
Big card collector here myself, well or used to be.....I think the earliest Mick I have is '64 or '65 but I've got a double closet full that I never let go of over the years.....I know I've got every standard issue Topps set from 73-date but the cards I'm proudest of are my Maravich, Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Bird/Johnson and Ryan rookies.....Card prices have dropped overall in value the last several years so no need to sell them now.......Wished I bought up a few Brady r/c a few years ago when they were relatively cheap.......They're getting outrageous now.......

Yeah card values have dropped with the saturation of the market and online sales. I started collecting as a kid in 1970 and just built on it. I've got a lot of original Mick cards from the 60s. I mostly collected baseball cards but I've got quite a few nfl and nba cards from the 70s. Got a Dr J card when he was in the aba with that red white and blue basketball. I just love the hobby more for the great memories from collecting as a kid than for any dollar value. Still love collecting.

BrunswickDawg
08-28-2022, 06:59 PM

I've got a '58 Mantle All-Star card that I got autographed by Mick at a card show in Atlanta in the late 80s. Show had Mantle, Mays and Snider - I had Mays and Snider sign on a ball I had Stan Musial sign a year earlier.

starkvegasdawg
08-28-2022, 07:02 PM
My card story. Went into a sports collectible store in north park mall to get an Andruw Jones rookie card. They didn't have one. Guy had a Barry Bonds rookie in Gem Mint 10. Told him wasn't interested. Didn't think he'd ever do anything memorable.

Do have a Bonds autographed ball and Griffey Jr. signed bat.

Goldendawg
08-28-2022, 07:48 PM
A lot of my cards from the 50's and 60's went into my bicycle spokes. My Dad and Uncles and most people in NE MS were cardinal fans in those years. I spent many summer nights out in the car with them listening to the games on the car radio, as it had the best reception. One of my uncles gave me all his cards. I remember writing LA Dodgers across Wally Moon's chest on his card when the Cardinals traded him. He also gave me a set of miniature felt pennants such as NY Giants, Brooklyn Dodgers, Milwaukee Braves, and St. Louis Browns along with clubs that have stayed put. I gave them back to him when I became an adult. He's 85 now, still pastors a small, rural church and is a big MSU fan! P.S. I quit being a Cardinals fan when they traded Ted "Simba" Simmons, broke my heart. Then followed the Oakland "Swinging A's". Don't follow MLB or NFL at all today. NFL only when Dak or other dogs are on a team.

basedog
08-28-2022, 08:09 PM
A lot of my cards from the 50's and 60's went into my bicycle spokes. My Dad and Uncles and most people in NE MS were cardinal fans in those years. I spent many summer nights out in the car with them listening to the games on the car radio, as it had the best reception. One of my uncles gave me all his cards. I remember writing LA Dodgers across Wally Moon's chest on his card when the Cardinals traded him. He also gave me a set of miniature felt pennants such as NY Giants, Brooklyn Dodgers, Milwaukee Braves, and St. Louis Browns along with clubs that have stayed put. I gave them back to him when I became an adult. He's 85 now, still pastors a small, rural church and is a big MSU fan! P.S. I quit being a Cardinals fan when they traded Ted "Simba" Simmons, broke my heart. Then followed the Oakland "Swinging A's". Don't follow MLB or NFL at all today. NFL only when Dak or other dogs are on a team.

Those were the days! I remember trading cards especially fora Mantle card, you had better have a bunch star player to trade for that Mickey card.
Yes to bike spokes with a clothes pin holding your card. Great days when you didn’t have to lock your doors for your car house.

smootness
08-28-2022, 08:23 PM
My card story. Went into a sports collectible store in north park mall to get an Andruw Jones rookie card. They didn't have one. Guy had a Barry Bonds rookie in Gem Mint 10. Told him wasn't interested. Didn't think he'd ever do anything memorable.

Do have a Bonds autographed ball and Griffey Jr. signed bat.

You didn't think 3-time MVP Barry Bonds would ever do anything memorable?

Goldendawg
08-28-2022, 08:27 PM

He didn't know the power of steroids or weight lifting.**

starkvegasdawg
08-28-2022, 08:51 PM

In my defense, he hadn't done anything to indicate what he was going to do at the time of this incident. This was in 1997 or 1998 and I wasn't following him overly closely. I liked the Braves. He played on the west coast so I rarely saw him play.

Commercecomet24
08-28-2022, 09:43 PM
I met the Mick and got a signed ball from him at the Mall on the coast in 1984. He was there doing a card signing for a sporting goods store. Met and got autos from Hank Aaron and Reggie Jackson in spring training 1975 when we lived in Arizona. Got a ton of signed Braves players stuff from mid 90s to mid 2000s by hanging out at players parking lot before games. Tom Glavine was the best. He always signed accept on days he was pitching. Chipper, Javy, Smoltz, Bobby Cox all very accommodating. Terry Mullholland always signed and took time to chat with fans as did Gerald Williams(RIP). Klesko was a jerk as was Wohlers. I could talk cards and memorabilia stories all day. Got a ton on stories over my 50 years of collecting.

parabrave
08-28-2022, 09:44 PM
Yeah card values have dropped with the saturation of the market and online sales. I started collecting as a kid in 1970 and just built on it. I've got a lot of original Mick cards from the 60s. I mostly collected baseball cards but I've got quite a few nfl and nba cards from the 70s. Got a Dr J card when he was in the aba with that red white and blue basketball. I just love the hobby more for the great memories from collecting as a kid than for any dollar value. Still love collecting.

Hey CC Did you ever coach a kid from oak Grove 1st name JC who pitched at USM and is now withe the Lookouts?

Commercecomet24
08-28-2022, 09:44 PM
Those were the days! I remember trading cards especially fora Mantle card, you had better have a bunch star player to trade for that Mickey card.
Yes to bike spokes with a clothes pin holding your card. Great days when you didn’t have to lock your doors for your car house.

Great times and great memories!

Commercecomet24
08-28-2022, 09:48 PM
Hey CC Did you ever coach a kid from oak Grove 1st name JC who pitched at USM and is now withe the Lookouts?

You talking about JC Keys. I know him well but never coached him. Good kid, good player

parabrave
08-28-2022, 10:05 PM
You talking about JC Keys. I know him well but never coached him. Good kid, good player

Yep I met him and his coach down in Biloxi tonight. He pitched 2 innings gave up a dinger to T Dillard, OM grad.

Commercecomet24
08-28-2022, 10:14 PM
Yep I met him and his coach down in Biloxi tonight. He pitched 2 innings gave up a dinger to T Dillard, OM grad.

He's a really good young man.

Cooterpoot
08-29-2022, 08:18 AM
Maybe it's time I dump my collection.

smootness
08-29-2022, 08:23 AM
In my defense, he hadn't done anything to indicate what he was going to do at the time of this incident. This was in 1997 or 1998 and I wasn't following him overly closely. I liked the Braves. He played on the west coast so I rarely saw him play.

The dude had already had a HOF career at that point haha

NCDawg
08-29-2022, 10:09 AM
I met the Mick and got a signed ball from him at the Mall on the coast in 1984. He was there doing a card signing for a sporting goods store. Met and got autos from Hank Aaron and Reggie Jackson in spring training 1975 when we lived in Arizona. Got a ton of signed Braves players stuff from mid 90s to mid 2000s by hanging out at players parking lot before games. Tom Glavine was the best. He always signed accept on days he was pitching. Chipper, Javy, Smoltz, Bobby Cox all very accommodating. Terry Mullholland always signed and took time to chat with fans as did Gerald Williams(RIP). Klesko was a jerk as was Wohlers. I could talk cards and memorabilia stories all day. Got a ton on stories over my 50 years of collecting.

Mantle was a fantastic player. Strong as an ox with blazing speed. If he hadn't had all those physical problems, no telling how good he could have been. He would be taped up and still get to first base in a little over 3 seconds.

FISHDAWG
08-29-2022, 11:30 AM
never got into the cards but I did get Clete Boyers autograph at the HOF on this pic with him, Roger Maris, and Mickey Mantle