PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get all the love UM is getting pre-season.........

Saltydog
08-27-2022, 10:55 AM
They have been mentioned a couple of times this a.m. on Gameday. Yes, they have an easy schedule that gives them a good shot at starting 6-0, assuming they beat UK in week 5, which I'm not so sure happens. They lost their best player on offense (Corral) and their best player on defense (Williams) and only return what, 10 or 11 starters? I get that Kiffin is a media darling and that Dart is talented and they did have a decent haul in the portal but I could easily see them finishing 5th or 6th in the West but maybe that's just my maroon colored glasses.

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2022, 10:59 AM
It's the schedule.

It's as easy of a first 6 games as anyone in the country. So they're a really safe bet to get buzz & appear to be a good team until the bottom falls out down the stretch.

By that time though, even if they suck, they may have hosted Gameday & be ranked in the top 10

Saltydog
08-27-2022, 11:07 AM
It's the schedule.

It's as easy of a first 6 games as anyone in the country. So they're a really safe bet to get buzz & appear to be a good team until the bottom falls out down the stretch.

By that time though, even if they suck, they may have hosted Gameday & be ranked in the top 10

I don't think they beat UK and I wouldn't automatically pencil them in a win against Auburn in week 7. Yes, I know Auburn is a mess but they've struggled with the plainsman over the years.

TrapGame
08-27-2022, 11:09 AM
I think Kentucky beats them. That's when their flaws are exposed. And I've heard Troy has a veteran defense this season. That could prove interesting against a lesser experienced QB like Dart. That game may be closer than most think.

Cooterpoot
08-27-2022, 11:23 AM
Their branding and marketing and support is better than ours. We're dragging ass on everything but baseball

CaptainObvious
08-27-2022, 11:33 AM
Their branding and marketing and support is better than ours. We're dragging ass on everything but baseball

This is correct! We need a couple of Marketing gurus running the show. Apparently, those aren?t being churned out by our School of Business.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-27-2022, 11:40 AM
Mississippi State Athletics in a nutshell.

Dawgfan77
08-27-2022, 11:41 AM
I don't think they beat UK and I wouldn't automatically pencil them in a win against Auburn in week 7. Yes, I know Auburn is a mess but they've struggled with the plainsman over the years.

I think GA Tech beats them.

Homedawg
08-27-2022, 11:46 AM
I think GA Tech beats them.

Now THIS is super maroon glasses. Ga tech is terrible.

viverlibre
08-27-2022, 12:01 PM

They've been light years ahead of us for decades. They'd claimed 1941 Natty right after Bama rewrote the rankings and claimed it.

DownwardDawg
08-27-2022, 12:29 PM
They have multiple alumni in positions at ESPN. It'll always be this way.

TrapGame
08-27-2022, 01:10 PM

And IIRC, they have a couple working at Sports Illustrated too.

FoggyBottom
08-27-2022, 01:31 PM
And, it doesn?t hurt that every time a regional or national publication, e.g., Southern Living, Better Homes and Gardens, et al, publishes a list of best tail-gating venue or best college town, they invariably are at or near the top.

Coach34
08-27-2022, 06:20 PM
They brought in highly rated transfers
They have a favorable early schedule
They are well-coached

They will win 7-8 games this year

Saltydog
08-27-2022, 06:20 PM
Yeah, they're bad. Collins has been abysmal. He's 9-25 in 3 years. He's probably gone after this year.

PGHBulldogBG
08-27-2022, 06:48 PM
Are they really getting that much hype? They are hovering around 21-27 in most all the polls or publications I’ve read. It’s not like they are being picked real high in the SEC. I think the issue more is that we are being overlooked

Saltydog
08-27-2022, 07:37 PM
They're preseason top 25 in all the polls with only 10 starters returning and a new QB. One of the Gameday heads called them
a sleeper this year and one said Zach Evans was the SEC breakout player. Just seems a bit too much IMO.

TheLostDawg
08-27-2022, 07:37 PM
Are they really getting that much hype? They are hovering around 21-27 in most all the polls or publications I’ve read. It’s not like they are being picked real high in the SEC. I think the issue more is that we are being overlooked

They will be top ten. If they get things figured out with the transfers by then, they could make ny6 if things fall correctly. Just get ready. Easy schedule goes a long way and the way it was laid out with being a transfer heavy year, they couldn't ask for more.

TheLostDawg
08-27-2022, 07:39 PM

But with the schedule starting out, they'll be a top ten eventually and for a while at least all the taking heads can boast how they called it

Coach34
08-27-2022, 07:51 PM
They're preseason top 25 in all the polls with only 10 starters returning and a new QB. One of the Gameday heads called them
a sleeper this year and one said Zach Evans was the SEC breakout player. Just seems a bit too much IMO.

They have a couple of OL guys on the Coaches All-SEC team which usually means they have some good OL guys. Why would you be surprised that a highly-rated RB running behind that might be considered a breakout player? Especially in their offense?

Just because their OC left doesnt mean he took all the plays and they cant run them anymore. Just like Kentucky and their new OC. I expect both offenses to look very close to what they did last year.

We are in the transfer era of college football where you can plug up holes every year. The coaches that manage that the best will remain successful. Kiffin appears to be doing a great job of it so far

Captain Falcon
08-27-2022, 08:41 PM
They are 2012 MSU. They?ll be a Top 15 team or better by mid season by beating absolutely no one.

Their last 5 games are brutal though:

At LSU
At A&M
Alabama
At Arkansas
MSU

EdwardDrayton
08-27-2022, 08:47 PM

Except if they play us in the Orange Bowl. ****

Jack Lambert
08-27-2022, 08:48 PM
They will struggle with those G5 teams they are playing early. Not saying they lose but Troy and Tulsa will come into Oxford ready to spit tack and eat nails. Ole Miss better be ready.

Coach34
08-27-2022, 08:49 PM
They are 2012 MSU. They?ll be a Top 15 team or better by mid season by beating absolutely no one.

At LSU
At A&M
Alabama
At Arkansas
MSU

Yep. They could go 0-5 there. This is what makes college football interesting

TUSK
08-27-2022, 10:32 PM
They brought in highly rated transfers
They have a favorable early schedule
They are well-coached

They will win 7-8 games this year

This^... The OM '22 slate is "fool's gold"... eerily similar (in hindsight) to Statel's '14 schedule...

Todd4State
08-28-2022, 01:45 AM

At LSU
At A&M
Alabama
At Arkansas
MSU

Good point which makes the Kentucky game awfully important for them.

Dawgfan77
08-28-2022, 08:47 AM
This^... The OM '22 slate is "fool's gold"... eerily similar (in hindsight) to Statel's '14 schedule...

You mean 12 not 14 right.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/344/season/2014

TrapGame
08-28-2022, 09:17 AM

Kentucky will kill the hype.

Goldendawg
08-28-2022, 04:04 PM
Some opinions here, Kentucky beats OM, we beat Kentucky, therefore we should and better beat OM. Hail State!

TUSK
08-28-2022, 05:14 PM
You mean 12 not 14 right.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/344/season/2014

actually, both years... you're right, though, the '12 schedule was worse.

Dawgfan77
08-28-2022, 05:38 PM
actually, both years... you're right, though, the '12 schedule was worse.

I get the first three games but then at top 10 LSU, home against top 10 ATM, home top 5 Auburn. That's no where near as easy as OM sets up.
I do think OM is going to struggle more than folks realize

dogshiek
08-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Umiss needs a qb that they don't have to make their offense work. They're definitely going to struggle with some their ooc games this year. More tds may be made in the grove than in the vaught this year.

PikeDawg15
08-28-2022, 07:08 PM
Umiss needs a qb that they don't have to make their offense work. They're definitely going to struggle with some their ooc games this year. More tds may be made in the grove than in the vaught this year.

Massive maroon glasses.

They will beat all their OOC games by 21+

They will beat Vanderbilt

Kentucky , MSU, and auburn are toss ups

I personally have them going 7-5 but their offense won?t be horrible, they just won?t be as good as good as last year and Alabama, Arkansas, MSU, and Texas a$m all will be much improved . They also have to go to Death Valley .

BeardoMSU
08-28-2022, 08:07 PM
Kentucky will kill the hype.

It does feel weird relying on KY to be the need-drop here, tho lol

TrapGame
08-28-2022, 08:26 PM
Massive maroon glasses.

They will beat all their OOC games by 21+

They will beat Vanderbilt

Kentucky , MSU, and auburn are toss ups

I personally have them going 7-5 but their offense won?t be horrible, they just won?t be as good as good as last year and Alabama, Arkansas, MSU, and Texas a$m all will be much improved . They also have to go to Death Valley .

Yeah, Lane ain't no dummy. He'll have the offense ready for the OOC games. However, I've read Troy is returning a veteran laden defense. That could give Dart a little trouble, make the game a little closer but OM will still win. Dart will get the start from what I've heard. He's not quite as accurate as Altmeyer but he's the more mobile and the better runner. But, like I said, that's what I've heard.

It does feel weird relying on KY to be the need-drop here, tho lol

Ain't it though?! I think UK's defense will be too much for Dart. Due to his inexperience White is gonna mix up a lot of looks.

TUSK
08-28-2022, 08:53 PM
I get the first three games but then at top 10 LSU, home against top 10 ATM, home top 5 Auburn. That's no where near as easy as OM sets up.
I do think OM is going to struggle more than folks realize

Yeah, you're right, but the point I was making (poorly) was "with hindsight"... none of those teams had a winning conference record and only Aubie ended up in the top ~30 ranked teams... but, yes, OM's slate is softer.

Captain Falcon
08-28-2022, 09:30 PM

And this is also with the assumption that Auburn is no good and they beat them, and Kiffin is 0-2 against them.

Schultzy
08-28-2022, 09:36 PM
Yeah, you're right, but the point I was making (poorly) was "with hindsight"... none of those teams had a winning conference record and only Aubie ended up in the top ~30 ranked teams... but, yes, OM's slate is softer.

One of the reasons they finished poorly is because we beat that ass; whenever MSU has a good season all the sudden the SEC becomes a shitty conference in some peoples eyes, go figure.

TUSK
08-28-2022, 10:07 PM
One of the reasons they finished poorly is because we beat that ass; whenever MSU has a good season all the sudden the SEC becomes a shitty conference in some peoples eyes, go figure.

Oh, I'd agree... it's a "catch 22", Schultzy...

Dawgfan77
09-05-2022, 09:12 PM
I still think GA tech beats OM

Offshore Dawg
09-06-2022, 07:38 AM

This is the main reason, they own those creating the talking points.

Offshore Dawg
09-06-2022, 07:43 AM
Some opinions here, Kentucky beats OM, we beat Kentucky, therefore we should and better beat OM. Hail State!

Dawgs beat A&M, then A&M beats Bama, Then Bama kills Dawgs.. Doesn't work that way, all about Match ups and attitudes.

Mjoelner34
09-06-2022, 07:50 AM
Dawgs beat A&M, then A&M beats Bama, Then Bama kills Dawgs.. Doesn't work that way, all about Match ups and attitudes.

Yep. In the old days, that was called USM math. When we didn't play them, they would claim they were automatically better than us if Bama beat them by 1 less point.