PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Spring Game after watching the 1st half

Coach34
04-20-2013, 03:44 PM
1. I'd like to thank hailstate.tv for giving me the tackle-to-tackle view only.
2. After struggling the last 2 years- we are going to be pretty ****ing good at DE. We have some legit SEC players in those spots. Preston Smith has come on and Autry is picking up where he left off. And then we are going to add Chris Jones in August. Our offensive tackles have a rough life.
3. Our DL as a whole will be vastly improved. The year of growth we got out of the DT's has improved this bunch a good deal also
4. If we arent the best team in the SEC at TE, we are in the damn top 2. We have some athletic SOB's at that position. Even Walley looks good- and everybody knows how much I hate white skill players. White people need to stick to OL, SS, power forward, and baseball.
5. Josh Robinson would be a beast if we would let him. Instead we will let Perkins get the lionshare of the carries again I'm sure.
6. Cox is going to be as good as advertised at CB- whomever plays opposite him better get ready this season.
7. Not sure why it took us 3 years to figure out we needed to recruit bigger WR's. They make a difference.
8. I hate our kickers still
9. Chapelle is going to bypass Morrow for 2013.
10. Bernardrick McKinney is a beast at MLB. Look for him to have a good year

Pollodawg
04-20-2013, 03:47 PM
How was the crowd this go around?

msstate7
04-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Michael Carr do anything?

Coach 57
04-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Turner's specialty is interior anyways. Had a good time listening to him at the clinic & seeing some of his philosophies. You mentioned some good DEs but I keep telling people, don't just expect Jones to come in and play alot. Not only do we have an all SEC caliber DE in Autry, but as you said Preston is very good as well as AJ Jefferson, Torrey Dale as well (heard he was dinged up). But I love our DE roster and it will allow us to get pressure with 4 sometimes. As I stated earlier I think Tyler can flourish in the new "ace f wing" formation and it would allow us to use our stable of RBs.

gravedigger
04-20-2013, 06:45 PM
I missed the first score but this is what I noticed.

Tyler is still the same qb as he was and he still doesn't fit ******* offense.

Josh Robinson is one tough sumbitch.

Holloway will amaze some folks this year.

Our offense works best when it works fast.

Our tight ends dropped a few balls today that made them look bad, but the plays themselves were great.

Our def line is pretty tough.

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 06:52 PM
1. I'd like to thank hailstate.tv for giving me the tackle-to-tackle view only.
2. After struggling the last 2 years- we are going to be pretty ****ing good at DE. We have some legit SEC players in those spots. Preston Smith has come on and Autry is picking up where he left off. And then we are going to add Chris Jones in August. Our offensive tackles have a rough life.
3. Our DL as a whole will be vastly improved. The year of growth we got out of the DT's has improved this bunch a good deal also
4. If we arent the best team in the SEC at TE, we are in the damn top 2. We have some athletic SOB's at that position. Even Walley looks good- and everybody knows how much I hate white skill players. White people need to stick to OL, SS, power forward, and baseball.
5. Josh Robinson would be a beast if we would let him. Instead we will let Perkins get the lionshare of the carries again I'm sure.
6. Cox is going to be as good as advertised at CB- whomever plays opposite him better get ready this season.
7. Not sure why it took us 3 years to figure out we needed to recruit bigger WR's. They make a difference.
8. I hate our kickers still
9. Chapelle is going to bypass Morrow for 2013.
10. Bernardrick McKinney is a beast at MLB. Look for him to have a good year

Damn I wish we would only use Perkins on 3rd down. Josh Robinson is a stud, and Derrick Milton worked his ass off in the off season....he is Way quicker and now has a bit of a Vick Ballard look to the way he runs (not just that #28). I think Milton looked great. I would still have Robinson 1, Milton 2, and Perk as a 3rd down/ situational back.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 06:57 PM
How did Nickoe and Michael Carr look?

BeastMan
04-20-2013, 07:02 PM
I think Milton had the better game. JRob is good but everyone underestimates Milton

gravedigger
04-20-2013, 07:11 PM

I never noticed either.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 07:21 PM
I never noticed either.

Hope they show up for Osu. Gonna need Nickoe esp

Pollodawg
04-20-2013, 07:27 PM
I am excited about Holloway. A lot of kids with his speed are track stars trying to play football, but that isn't the case with him from what I hear. He is a football player with track speed.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 07:28 PM
I am excited about Holloway. A lot of kids with his speed are track stars trying to play football, but that isn't the case with him from what I hear. He is a football player with track speed.

Could he be our poor man's Percy harvin in dans offense?

Coach34
04-20-2013, 07:39 PM
I think Milton had the better game. JRob is good but everyone underestimates Milton

I didnt watch the 2nd half- but they werent even close in the 1sthalf- JRob was much better

HereComesTheSpiral
04-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Hope they show up for Osu. Gonna need Nickoe esp

I don't think Whitley even played in the game, could be wrong.

Lettuce
04-20-2013, 08:20 PM
We all know it's true but explain what you mean by "Tyler is still the same qb as he was and he still doesn't fit ******* offense" Let me guess, he is still too predictable and moves nonchalantly in the pocket or is it the over striding and horrible foot work?

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 08:27 PM
I missed the first score but this is what I noticed.

Tyler is still the same qb as he was and he still doesn't fit ******* offense.

Josh Robinson is one tough sumbitch.

Holloway will amaze some folks this year.

Our offense works best when it works fast.

Our tight ends dropped a few balls today that made them look bad, but the plays themselves were great.

Our def line is pretty tough.

I actually disagree about Tyler. IF...IF...we use him under center and take advantage of our TE's and size at WR, Tyler could be the perfect fit for THIS Mullen offense.

Now, I do agree that he looked like the old Tyler when we dropped back into the pistol in the 2 minute drill. He was unable to get the ball out quick, and didn't look comfortable.

He looked deadly on the quick hitters to Jameon (Wes Welker) and Brandon Hill (Gronk) and Malcolm (Aaron Hernandez) though. Obviously they are nowhere near that caliber, but did anyone else notice that we came out running a New England Patriots style of offense? I loved it, and I think if we'll stick to that with Tyler, he and our O can be very good.

Coach34
04-20-2013, 08:42 PM
He looked deadly on the quick hitters to Jameon (Wes Welker) and Brandon Hill (Gronk) and Malcolm (Aaron Hernandez) though. Obviously they are nowhere near that caliber, but did anyone else notice that we came out running a New England Patriots style of offense? I loved it, and I think if we'll stick to that with Tyler, he and our O can be very good.

I think we will definitely run some of what the Patriots run. We didnt want to show anything in the Spring Game and didnt put Russell under center. I was actually encouraged by the first few plays and some of the quick stuff we ran.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I think we will definitely run some of what the Patriots run. We didnt want to show anything in the Spring Game and didnt put Russell under center. I was actually encouraged by the first few plays and some of the quick stuff we ran.

Will our wr's be able to separate from db's on quick routes thus year?

Coach34
04-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Will our wr's be able to separate from db's on quick routes thus year?

They would have to- you couldnt be any worse than our guys last year. Being bigger and more physical will help

msstate7
04-20-2013, 08:55 PM
They would have to- you couldnt be any worse than our guys last year. Being bigger and more physical will help

Good point. Did we run any rb screens today? If so, did they look effective?

gravedigger
04-20-2013, 09:01 PM

We all know it's true but explain what you mean by "Tyler is still the same qb as he was and he still doesn't fit ******* offense" Let me guess, he is still too predictable and moves nonchalantly in the pocket or is it the over striding and horrible foot work?

Exactly. Couldn't have said that better. He just has no sense of pressure. There is no doubt he posses the athletic ability to be great, but he doesn't throw like he expects the wr to hit a spot. He waits to throw when the receiver breaks.

His footwork looked better.

Pollodawg
04-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Good point about wrs not getting open. A lot of TR holding the ball too long was on meh WR play or just plain bad route design. I don't know which, lol.

hailmari
04-20-2013, 11:21 PM
JRob did look good, but Milton caught my eye more, personally. It's safe to say that we're in good shape at RB.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 11:22 PM
JRob did look good, but Milton caught my eye more, personally. It's safe to say that we're in good shape at RB.

Do with running back position looking so good does shump go safety? Is he a lock for redshirt?

Coach34
04-20-2013, 11:25 PM

I obviously disagree on Milton- but there is no doubt that we are in good shape at the RB position...All 3 guys can play

And agree with Coach57- Chris Jones is going to have to work his ass off to get on the field. I think Chris's ability will make that happen as we get on into September and October- but he is not going to be the animal and starter that some think he will be as a true freshman

Coach34
04-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Do with running back position looking so good does shump go safety? Is he a lock for redshirt?

Thats the million dollar question with Shump. Alot of people like him as a RB- and some people think he is destined for defense because of his ability there.

He's NOT going to be any type of factor on offense in 2013- and I'm curious as to where he lands as well.

Political Hack
04-21-2013, 11:46 AM
if we have one more injury, especially early on at RB, Shump plays this year. Grif could be done IMO.

msstate7
04-21-2013, 11:54 AM
if we have one more injury, especially early on at RB, Shump plays this year. Grif could be done IMO.

How's his recovery going?

slickdawg
04-21-2013, 11:56 AM

I don't know how long it's gonna take Griff to recover, the last one seemed to take a full year plus, so he may not be back 100% until 2014. Gotta love the guy, he's grinding his ass off doing everything he can.

People don't forget, if their pass protection hasn't dramatically improved, you're not going to see a lot of Milton or JRob. Last year Perkins and Griffin both did very well pass blocking, there was a drop off with Milton and Jrob. Perkins is also the best receiver of the lot. Playing RB is much more than just running the ball. I do have to say, Shumpert indeed runs with a sense of violence. If he can pick up the schemes quickly, it's gonna be hard to keep him off the field.

msstate7
04-21-2013, 12:02 PM
I don't know how long it's gonna take Griff to recover, the last one seemed to take a full year plus, so he may not be back 100% until 2014. Gotta love the guy, he's grinding his ass off doing everything he can.

People don't forget, if their pass protection hasn't dramatically improved, you're not going to see a lot of Milton or JRob. Last year Perkins and Griffin both did very well pass blocking, there was a drop off with Milton and Jrob. Perkins is also the best receiver of the lot. Playing RB is much more than just running the ball. I do have to say, Shumpert indeed runs with a sense of violence. If he can pick up the schemes quickly, it's gonna be hard to keep him off the field.

Seems to me that he could help us at safety early. I think if he plays next year it'll be at safety not rb. That said he'll probably redshirt

Bo Darville
04-21-2013, 01:22 PM
everybody knows how much I hate white skill players. White people need to stick to OL, SS, power forward, and baseball.

If Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Johnny Manziel, want to come here, then I'll take them. Same for Matt Jones at Arkansas or Tebow at Florida. If you want to win and win big, you don't turn those guys down because you don't like their skin color. And don't forget Cord Sandberg.

Coach34
04-21-2013, 01:51 PM
If Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Johnny Manziel, want to come here, then I'll take them. Same for Matt Jones at Arkansas or Tebow at Florida. If you want to win and win big, you don't turn those guys down because you don't like their skin color. And don't forget Cord Sandberg.

White QB's are ok- as long as they are mobile- like Sandberg

Coach 57
04-21-2013, 04:52 PM
The key to sustained WR separation on routes comes down to coaching. What I mean is this, route combinations, teaching them to be more physical & route running is the key to this. If we are in the. ACE F-wing trips as I said we have been in, if the right route combos & physicallity is there there is NO WAY space won't be there.