PDA

View Full Version : Couple of interesting notes and stats so far this year.

MetEdDawg
11-24-2013, 02:50 PM
- First time we've beaten Arkansas in consecutive games since 1992.

- We are 399 yards of offense away from breaking the season mark set by the 2010 team

- We are 18 first downs away from setting the record for most first downs in a season, also set by the 2010 team

- We are averaging 244.3 passing yards per game, which is 4.6 ypg more than our season record of 239.7 set in 1978

- We are 404 passing yards behind the most passing yards in a single season in MSU history, which was set last year.

- We have only been flagged for 13 penalties in our last 4 games (Arkansas, Alabama, TAMU, SC). To me that's pretty damn impressive.

Obviously the other big stats were our first win in the state of Arkansas in 11 attempts and our first 4th quarter comeback under Mullen. But the point here is that even with all of our QB problems and RB problems we've talked about, we are still on pace to break a lot of the single season offensive records for passing and total offense. I was surprised when I saw that written in the game notes yesterday. Just thought this would be interesting stuff to pass along.

LiterallyPolice
11-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Mullen bashers to the rescue in 3..... 2..... 1.....

Seriously though, we've certainly been able to move the ball and gain yards this year... It's capitalizing that has the problem. I'd like to see some sort of stat like "scoring efficiency" that is a ratio do yards per game / score per game. I would imagine ours would be pretty low.

The good news is that is easier to fix than a totally inept offense.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2013, 03:19 PM
- First time we've beaten Arkansas in consecutive games since 1992.

- We are 399 yards of offense away from breaking the season mark set by the 2010 team

- We are 18 first downs away from setting the record for most first downs in a season, also set by the 2010 team

- We are averaging 244.3 passing yards per game, which is 4.6 ypg more than our season record of 239.7 set in 1978

- We are 404 passing yards behind the most passing yards in a single season in MSU history, which was set last year.

- We have only been flagged for 13 penalties in our last 4 games (Arkansas, Alabama, TAMU, SC). To me that's pretty damn impressive.

Obviously the other big stats were our first win in the state of Arkansas in 11 attempts and our first 4th quarter comeback under Mullen. But the point here is that even with all of our QB problems and RB problems we've talked about, we are still on pace to break a lot of the single season offensive records for passing and total offense. I was surprised when I saw that written in the game notes yesterday. Just thought this would be interesting stuff to pass along.

This shows that things are going in the right direction in the big picture. Also, think about how we have done this with complete instability at the QB position.

Next year, if Dak can stay healthy, we feed Robinson, and our young receivers have normal progression, I expect us to shatter every offensive record in school history.

HoopsDawg
11-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Teams in the NFL are setting new records every single year because of the way the game is being officiated. Obviously 12 game schedules and the trend of scheduling 3 or 4 cupcakes every year are going to lead to inflated stats. Every school is setting records.

We scored 17 points against Arkansas in regulation. That's nothing to be proud of.

MetEdDawg
11-24-2013, 03:25 PM
We have been pretty pedestrian in the red zone in terms of imposing our will and that's where my biggest issue with personnel and play calling has been. We try to jam Perkins down people's throats or throw fades to Jameon Lewis. Just not the kind of thing we need to be doing.

Our OL does not get good push down around the goal either. To me that's one area we HAVE to get better in is goal line and short yardage sets. We need some 7 OL packages with a heavy offset line to one side. We don't currently have the OL depth to do that and that kills us. I would love for us to utilize those sets more. Arkansas does it, UF does it, Bama does it, quite a few others do as well and it's very effective.

But back to the original point, I think we have seen that our offense can do some pretty good things against good defenses in terms of yards and 1st downs. This year especially we've been very good at not going 3 and out and that's contributed to the high number of 1st downs. Having the possibility to break a bunch of offensive records in a best case scenario 6-6 regular season means we've been inconsistent and we have been. We score in spurts then go cold. Once the youth on this offense start to gel and Dak and his WRs are all on the same page, we will be a very well oiled machine.

HoopsDawg
11-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Mullen has no clue how to score in the redzone with a pocket passer. Our red zone offense should be better next year with Dak as the full-time QB. I do wish we would install a few jumbo packages with Dak under center. That opens the door for a QB sneak and some play-action bootlegs. But I doubt Mullen will make that adjustment.

Tbonewannabe
11-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Mullen has no clue how to score in the redzone with a pocket passer. Our red zone offense should be better next year with Dak as the full-time QB. I do wish we would install a few jumbo packages with Dak under center. That opens the door for a QB sneak and some play-action bootlegs. But I doubt Mullen will make that adjustment.

Some of the things that we did around the goal line in 2010, we no longer do for some reason. We would rather throw a fade to Lewis than load up with the big boys and play smash mouth.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2013, 03:59 PM

I put the odds at 95.99% chance that Mullen copies Vanderbilt's fake jump pass this Thursday. The moment I saw that play, I said, "hahaha, Dan just had an orgasm in his office."

OM probably knows this as well, but I actually hope we run it. It's a low risk play since the QB doesn't actually throw the football. Who knows, OM may fall for it.