PDA

View Full Version : Dak '14

TheLostDawg
08-21-2022, 12:10 PM
https://twitter.com/TruMaroonNation/status/1561385274390839296

Did Mullen cost Dak the Heismanin '14? If Mullen wasn't always job searching at the end of the year, maybe we beat ole miss.

This is not to discredit Mullen as a qb coach. Mullen played an enormous part of developing Dak. However Dak was strong willed and made a lot of plays he had nothing.

I will say in '14 Dak had a good support staff of players. '15 he carried that team.

maroonmania
08-21-2022, 01:17 PM
Man I miss Bear Wilson. He was a heck of a college receiver. Hard to believe he is no longer with us. He would have made a huge difference in 2015 if he would have come back to school.

parabrave
08-21-2022, 01:42 PM

Did Mullen cost Dak the Heismanin '14? If Mullen wasn't always job searching at the end of the year, maybe we beat ole miss.

This is not to discredit Mullen as a qb coach. Mullen played an enormous part of developing Dak. However Dak was strong willed and made a lot of plays he had nothing.

I will say in '14 Dak had a good support staff of players. '15 he carried that team.

There were alot of reasons we lost to OM that night. Dak getting popped silly by the OM safety was one thing. Another was the pregame senior night presentation. It seemed that the kids minds were on something else than the game. Oh Yeah Mullen checking out after the Bama game was a factor also.

DownwardDawg
08-21-2022, 02:03 PM
Mullen got us there, and Mullen cost us a playoff appearance. He completely crapped the bed with the ole miss game and how poorly we were prepared for the Bama game. Hell, we barely beat Arkansas is I remember correctly. He probably thought he already had his next job lined up.

R2Dawg
08-21-2022, 04:21 PM
Man I miss Bear Wilson. He was a heck of a college receiver. Hard to believe he is no longer with us. He would have made a huge difference in 2015 if he would have come back to school.

Did he get killed in Alabama? Seemed like I remember that.

BeardoMSU
08-21-2022, 04:31 PM

Sadly, yes.

Schultzy
08-21-2022, 05:07 PM
He certainly got intefered with right before halftime in the end zone.

parabrave
08-21-2022, 05:21 PM

Yep. Wished he stayed as Mullen went pass heavy to get Dak ready for the NFL in 2015/

DownwardDawg
08-21-2022, 05:34 PM

Born in Birmingham, and murdered in his home in Birmingham. Still unsolved I think.

Maroonthirteen
08-21-2022, 05:51 PM
So much happened or didn't happen in that game, I can not lay blame on any one person for that loss. However, of all the disappoint losses to Alabama over the years (81, 91, 92, 94, 99, 2012, 14, 17..). I will say thats the one year where we should have beat them But again, no one person is to blame.

Dan mixed up the pass/run well. We were to tight to start and didn't execute very well on offense most of the 1st half. Timing was a little off on passes, lead to failed 3rd down conversions, and a couple of ints. Then Bama got a call on the goal line where a fumble was ruled a TD. (Shocker). Then we couldn't punch in a TD when we had the ball inside their 5. Much like 81 and 91. Just sucks we didn't catch a few breaks and win that game.

parabrave
08-21-2022, 06:12 PM
So much happened or didn't happen in that game, I can lay blame on any one person for that loss. However, of all the disappoint losses to Alabama over the years (81, 91, 92, 94, 99, 2012, 14, 17..). I will say thats the one year where we should have beat them But again, no one person is to blame.

Dan mixed up the pass/run well. We were to tight to start and didn't execute very well on offense most of the 1st half. Timing was a little off on passes, lead to failed 3rd down conversions, and a couple of ints. Then Bama got a call on the goal line where a fumble was ruled a TD. (Shocker). Then we couldn't punch in a TD when we had the ball inside their 5. Much like 81 and 91. Just sucks we didn't catch a few breaks and win that game.

And don't forget their Receiver Ridley I believe stepping OOB then catching the TD. ll the while the Ref watching it the entire time and even marking it where he stepped out,

Pancho
08-21-2022, 06:41 PM
Born in Birmingham, and murdered in his home in Birmingham. Still unsolved I think.

shot in his own bed

DownwardDawg
08-21-2022, 06:56 PM
And don't forget their Receiver Ridley I believe stepping OOB then catching the TD. ll the while the Ref watching it the entire time and even marking it where he stepped out,

That was a different year. That was in Starkville when he stepped out of bounds. We dominated them that game running the ball. Just couldn't put the game away.

R2Dawg
08-21-2022, 08:35 PM

Really sad. We also lost WR Chris Smith previouly too I think on a shooting.

parabrave
08-21-2022, 08:46 PM
That was a different year. That was in Starkville when he stepped out of bounds. We dominated them that game running the ball. Just couldn't put the game away.

I thought it was '17.

StarkVegasSteve
08-21-2022, 09:20 PM
Dak was never the same after the injury against Kentucky. We were taken out of our rhythm offensively when the running threat was taken away.

StarkVegasSteve
08-21-2022, 09:21 PM
Yep. Wished he stayed as Mullen went pass heavy to get Dak ready for the NFL in 2015/

He was on the team in 15. We needed him in 16 to be a safety valve for Nick but he got bad advice and declared after the Belk bowl.

maroonmania
08-21-2022, 10:42 PM
He was on the team in 15. We needed him in 16 to be a safety valve for Nick but he got bad advice and declared after the Belk bowl.

Yep, you are correct, I was off a year.

DownwardDawg
08-21-2022, 10:50 PM
I thought it was '17.

I thought this thread was about 2014? The post you replied to was talking about the 2014 game.

Todd4State
08-21-2022, 11:52 PM
I think injuries to Jameon Lewis and then losing Justin Cox hurt us more than anything.

Todd4State
08-21-2022, 11:53 PM
Dak was never the same after the injury against Kentucky. We were taken out of our rhythm offensively when the running threat was taken away.

I think the whole team started to play tight after Auburn. And then Dan was Dan and screwed us in November as usual.

parabrave
08-22-2022, 01:34 AM
I thought this thread was about 2014? The post you replied to was talking about the 2014 game.

And when is the last time any thread has stayed true to the original post?

StarkVegasSteve
08-22-2022, 07:22 AM
I think the whole team started to play tight after Auburn. And then Dan was Dan and screwed us in November as usual.

From A&M through the first quarter against Auburn there was no way you could have convinced me that we were not going to run the table and win the national championship. We simply looked like the most dominant team in college football.

DownwardDawg
08-22-2022, 02:25 PM
And when is the last time any thread has stayed true to the original post?

I was just trying to help. Carry on.

PikeDawg15
08-22-2022, 03:37 PM
From A&M through the first quarter against Auburn there was no way you could have convinced me that we were not going to run the table and win the national championship. We simply looked like the most dominant team in college football.

I started to doubt the team once I watched the arkansas game in person. I knew at that moment we were not beating alabama but there was no way in hell I thought we could lose to ole miss especially after they got beat by arkansas something like 20-0 the week before the egg bowl.

boy was I wrong.

dawgman15
08-22-2022, 03:40 PM
The alabama game really did its toll on us that season. They man handled us the first 3 quarters.

Liverpooldawg
08-22-2022, 04:28 PM
Dak got banged up in the UK game and he never really got back to full speed that year.

dawgman15
08-22-2022, 04:50 PM
Let's not forget Mullen tossing Collins under the bus after the egg bowl leading to Collins leaving before the Orange Bowl leading to Mullen "coaching" the defense

Schultzy
08-22-2022, 05:45 PM
I’ve heard he’s acknowledged he thinks he should have stayed.

AROB44
08-22-2022, 06:28 PM
I?ve heard he?s acknowledged he thinks he should have stayed.

Care to elaborate?

lastmajordog
08-22-2022, 09:39 PM
IMO....MULLEN screwed us in 14, even though this was not a perfect team, trying to run against that Bama team in the first half was insane and then trying to throw when they were expecting it........OH well, that was only topped by whatever (and I don?t know) happened letting def cord go before the egg bowl...geeeeze. And then letting his 18 team go with he best def in CFB......I will shut up now.

Cowbell
08-22-2022, 10:16 PM
I?ve heard he?s acknowledged he thinks he should have stayed.
I would have to hear it myself to believe it. Mullen was good at some things but accepting blame and admitting mistakes ain't one of 'em.

maroonmania
08-22-2022, 10:38 PM
I would have to hear it myself to believe it. Mullen was good at some things but accepting blame and admitting mistakes ain't one of 'em.

Whether he admits it or not he definitely screwed up not staying at MSU for at least one more year. 2018 MSU would have been his best all around team had he stayed and that includes any team he got to coach at Florida.

PikeDawg15
08-22-2022, 10:59 PM
IMO....MULLEN screwed us in 14, even though this was not a perfect team, trying to run against that Bama team in the first half was insane and then trying to throw when they were expecting it........OH well, that was only topped by whatever (and I don?t know) happened letting def cord go before the egg bowl...geeeeze. And then letting his 18 team go with he best def in CFB......I will shut up now.

I think we were going to lose to Alabama either way in 14 because it was in Tuscaloosa .

But under no circumstance should we have ever lost that egg bowl.

Arkansas beat the shit out of that ole miss team 7days prior. We were heads and shoulders a better team than them but we came in just expecting to be handed the game and got punched in the mouth and got our lunch money took and stood around like somebody was suppose to help us.

We should?ve been #4 team in the country going into the conference title weekend and if all things stayed the same . There would?ve been the biggest debate for the #4 spot in the history of the playoff and it woulda been between 11-1 state, 11-1 baylor, 11-1 tcu , and 12-1 big 10 champs Ohio state .

Personally I feel like they would?ve been Ohio state in that scenario and we would?ve melted

Captain Falcon
08-23-2022, 09:08 AM
Had we been able to get off the field on third down we probably beat Bama. Sims killed us with some scrambles on 3rd and long. We obviously started that game poorly and Dak had his worst game of the year, but if we get a stop on Bama?s last TD drive then we are getting the ball back with a chance to go ahead.

We lost the Egg Bowl because we decided to not rcover the only offensive weapon Ole Miss had (Evan Engram). And then the really poor tackling on the long Walton TD run. Dak played relatively well in that game.

We weren?t making the Playoff at 11-1. We would?ve gotten bumped for Ohio State just like TCU and Baylor did. TCU was #3 and won their last game like 66-3 and they still dropped them out of the Top 4.

Maroonthirteen
08-23-2022, 10:08 AM
Dan mixed up the pass and run best he could this game.
1st series
Pass, run, run, pass, run, run, incomplete pass, incomplete pass.

2nd
Incomplete pass, sideways and backwards run (player decision) (safety)

3rd
Run, pass, incomplete pass

4th
Run, pass, run, run, pass incomplete, run, pass interception.

5th
Run, pass incomplete, run

6th
Pass, run, run

7th
Sack, pass, run, run, run, run, pass, pass, run, pass, run, pass, pass, pass. FG

End of half 1.

Anyways... Mullen led us to #1 in 2014. We sharted the bed in Oxford. I'll agree there. However our playoffs spot was lost in Tuscaloosa. Herbstriet and ESPN were pushing hard for Oh St at that 4th spot. We weren't getting in win or lose in Oxford.

R2Dawg
08-23-2022, 11:52 AM

At that point, we absolutely were.

R2Dawg
08-23-2022, 11:53 AM
Whether he admits it or not he definitely screwed up not staying at MSU for at least one more year. 2018 MSU would have been his best all around team had he stayed and that includes any team he got to coach at Florida.

Yep, real stupid move by Mullen

R2Dawg
08-23-2022, 11:55 AM
I’ve heard he’s acknowledged he thinks he should have stayed.

Sure hindsight, not a surprise this would be true.

What would Mullen have done with the #1 D in nation and all time rushing QB in SEC history? One can only imagine but it could have been special.

R2Dawg
08-23-2022, 11:57 AM
The alabama game really did its toll on us that season. They man handled us the first 3 quarters.

First half, they stuffed the run but I wouldn't say for the game they manhandled us. They didn't. We shut them down in 2nd half and we rolled up 500+ yards.

That game was lost when Dak threw 2 ints in the endzone that should have been points. That was the game plain and simple.

Homedawg
08-23-2022, 12:37 PM
First half, they stuffed the run but I wouldn't say for the game they manhandled us. They didn't. We shut them down in 2nd half and we rolled up 500+ yards.

That game was lost when Dak threw 2 ints in the endzone that should have been points. That was the game plain and simple.

People have selective memories on lots of games, this one in particular. Dak was awful at the start of that game. We werent conservative

MedDawg
08-23-2022, 01:32 PM

No, because in 2014 Marcus Mariota had a crazy good stat season that Dak could never have matched and very few QB's ever have: 304 for 445 (68.3%), 4,454 passing yards, 42 passing TDs, only 4 interceptions, 770 rushing yards and 15 rushing TDs. If Dak beats OM then maybe he gets a trip to NYC.