PDA

View Full Version : New format. 9 games, 3 permanent

TheLostDawg
08-20-2022, 09:14 PM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34430807/sec-leaning-nine-game-conference-schedule-which-not-only-adds-value-tv-protects-season-ticket-sales

Seems it has the votes.

TheLostDawg
08-20-2022, 09:15 PM
Sec schedule**

Coach34
08-20-2022, 10:19 PM
With expansion it’s obvious that is happening. They are going to choke out the smaller schools.

parabrave
08-20-2022, 11:30 PM
Well go ahead and put OM, BAMA and LSU for us. OM will be getting MSU Mizzou and Vandy.

BrunswickDawg
08-21-2022, 06:25 AM
Well go ahead and put OM, BAMA and LSU for us. OM will be getting MSU Mizzou and Vandy.

Have no fear, LT will take care of us!*****

Cooterpoot
08-21-2022, 09:51 AM
I would wait before assuming this is going to happen. It's got it's problems. Lots of opposition to it too.

Maroonthirteen
08-21-2022, 10:41 AM
As much money as the networks are paying, They will want to expand the sec schedule to create more sec matchups across all weeks.

coachnorm
08-21-2022, 11:27 AM
As much money as the networks are paying, They will want to expand the sec schedule to create more sec matchups across all weeks.

With that money the SEC will be mandated to only play SEC games when the SEC expands to 20 teams. The networks will demand eyes on their investments for all 12 games by all 20 teams?

Coach34
08-21-2022, 12:52 PM
I would wait before assuming this is going to happen. It's got it's problems. Lots of opposition to it too.

It's 100% going to happen. No way around it. TV gets what it wants and the Big Boys tell the others to shut up. Going to have to do it with a 16 team conference.

We'll get Mississippi, Bama, and another.
LSU will want A&M, Mississippi, and Bama.
Look for Bama to get Tenn, LSU, and us.
Mississippi will get us, LSU, and another.
And so on

Todd4State
08-21-2022, 03:15 PM
It's 100% going to happen. No way around it. TV gets what it wants and the Big Boys tell the others to shut up. Going to have to do it with a 16 team conference.

And so on

I don't think we get Bama. Bama is going to want Auburn, Tennessee and LSU.

magrooder
08-21-2022, 03:20 PM

Yeah, I don't see the Iron Bowl being discontinued, if anything, I'd say they give up Tennessee.

PikeDawg15
08-21-2022, 03:23 PM

Nah I don?t think bama gives a shit about tennessee anymore ,

State is gonna wind up with OM, Alabama, and Auburn

If I?m John Cohen , I?m doing everything in my power to not get Alabama

I?m grabbing Ole Miss, Kentucky , and doing illegal things to get Vanderbilt

Quaoarsking
08-21-2022, 03:29 PM
Informally, they're going to split the SEC into tiers when picking the permanents:
Elites: Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Auburn
Dreamers: Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

And everyone will get 2 permanent opponents on their own tier, and 1 on the other tier. This won't be "official," but it's how it will end up.

Thus, Alabama gets Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU, which is what they want. LSU will get Ole Miss, Alabama, and Texas A&M.

We'll end up with Ole Miss, Kentucky, and I would predict Auburn for the 3rd slot, but it could be Texas A&M instead. We could also get Arkansas instead of Kentucky, but that's probably not a very high priority for them.

The idea that we'll somehow get screwed while no one else does is complete nonsense.

1bigdawg
08-21-2022, 03:33 PM
I think we get OM, Kentucky and A&M.

OM gets us, Vandy and LSU

LSU gets A&M, Bama and OM

RiverCityDawg
08-21-2022, 03:37 PM

And so on

So Bama doesn't get Auburn? Horrible take.

We're getting ole miss, Kentucky and either A&M or Auburn.

TheLostDawg
08-21-2022, 03:54 PM
I think we get OM, Kentucky and A&M.

OM gets us, Vandy and LSU

LSU gets A&M, Bama and OM

This and TAMU is going to be the next Alabama due to them buying all 5* . Just got to hope Fisher isn't their answer.
On top of that Saban will likely retire and we're not any better off with TAMU.

TheLostDawg
08-21-2022, 04:00 PM
So Bama doesn't get Auburn? Horrible take.

We're getting ole miss, Kentucky and either A&M or Auburn.

Fisher? Basically slipped up and said it was LSU, Texas, and us.

If only it was a way to get Vandy instead of Kentucky to level things out. I doubt it happens.
With leach being HC I'm sure that was one push to tie us in with tamu.

KOdawg1
08-21-2022, 04:04 PM
OM, Kentucky, and A&M makes the most sense for us. And I'd be perfectly okay with that.

Coach34
08-21-2022, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I don't see the Iron Bowl being discontinued, if anything, I'd say they give up Tennessee.

Hahaha- not sure what I was thinking forgetting Auburn. Damn

Coach34
08-21-2022, 04:14 PM
A&M is going to want Texas, Oklahoma, and LSU

Auburn gonna want Bama and Georgia for sure so there’s an opening there for us

Todd4State
08-21-2022, 05:00 PM

We'll ask Tusk about Alabama and Tennessee. They may not give a shit about Tennessee but I highly doubt that they give any more of a shit about playing us.

THE Bruce Dickinson
A&M is going to want Texas, Oklahoma, and LSU

Auburn gonna want Bama and Georgia for sure so there’s an opening there for us

A&M does not want to play Texas. They joined the SEC to get away from them.

Todd4State
Fisher? Basically slipped up and said it was LSU, Texas, and us.

If only it was a way to get Vandy instead of Kentucky to level things out. I doubt it happens.
With leach being HC I'm sure that was one push to tie us in with tamu.

I would trust Ross Dellenger on this too.

viverlibre
08-21-2022, 06:19 PM
100% two of the three will be UM and Bama, the third will be either LSU/the Barn or TAMU.

Time for Cohen to earn his money and get us out of bama.

viverlibre
08-21-2022, 06:23 PM
We'll ask Tusk about Alabama and Tennessee. They may not give a shit about Tennessee but I highly doubt that they give any more of a shit about playing us.

WRONG, we are traditionally one of the easiest Ws on their schedule, they're gonna fight hard to keep us. Saban/Bama ain't sportsmanship, competition, playing close games, etc., they're about winning natties.

KOdawg1
08-21-2022, 06:37 PM
[/B]

WRONG, we are traditionally one of the easiest Ws on their schedule, they're gonna fight hard to keep us. Saban/Bama ain't sportsmanship, competition, playing close games, etc., they're about winning natties.

Tennessee is an easy win on their schedule. Just as easy as us. Plus it's a "rivalry."

Bama's 3 being LSU, Tenn, and Auburn makes sense.

Lord McBuckethead
08-21-2022, 06:45 PM

I kind of want Ark OM and Kentucky, personally. Or maybe somehow pick up South Carolina in place of Ark.

Lord McBuckethead
08-21-2022, 06:48 PM
They joined the SEC to not have to just bow down to Texas for the rest of their tenure. It isn?t because they were scared to play them. Texas launching their own channel and 17n everyone else. ATM just wanted money share. They got it and respect by saying F this and joining a much better conference too.

Lord McBuckethead
08-21-2022, 06:49 PM
With expansion it?s obvious that is happening. They are going to choke out the smaller schools.
Surely with 16 it is easier to have 4 pods and you always play your pod and you rotate pods every two years after you play that pod and half of another home and away.

Pods would be
MO, Um, us, and Ark
LSU, OK, TX, aTm
Alabama, Auburn, UT, Vandy
Georgia, UF, SC, Kentucky

All organized by geography in 4 sections.
You always play your individual pod.
You rotate an entire pod and half of another every two years.

You would play in every stadium every single 4 years and play everyone atleast twice every four years, and you would play your 3 pod members every year.

This could be a fixed schedule forever, establishing which games are played on which weeks. Give half the SEC off week 5 and the other half off week 6, every year. All nonconference games can be also blocked out. With just a minimum amount of organizing with other conferences, that too can be blocked out for P5 matchups, blind draw.

Coach34
08-21-2022, 07:26 PM

Bjork was literally quoted 2 days ago wanting them on the schedule

From the article the OP linked above:

For instance, Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork told ESPN this week that the Aggies would be in favor of playing Texas and LSU every year and then one other permanent opponent.

Todd4State
08-21-2022, 07:52 PM
[/B]

They've historically fought to keep the Tennessee and Alabama rivalry present ever since the 1990's. They don't care about our game.

THE Bruce Dickinson
08-21-2022, 08:15 PM
Bjork was literally quoted 2 days ago wanting them on the schedule

From the article the OP linked above:

For instance, Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork told ESPN this week that the Aggies would be in favor of playing Texas and LSU every year and then one other permanent opponent.

Guess I was wrong

Bgame
08-21-2022, 10:30 PM
The Tennessee game is far more important and traditional to Alabama than the State game.

viverlibre
08-21-2022, 10:31 PM
They've historically fought to keep the Tennessee and Alabama rivalry present ever since the 1990's. They don't care about our game.

They may not care about a game against us, but they care about an easy W. MSU, UT and the Barn is who they will angle for (three easy wins).

Quaoarsking
08-21-2022, 11:52 PM
Jimbo already spilled the beans that Texas A&M's permanent opponents are Texas, LSU, and ... Mississippi State.

Of course he might have been wrong, or those might not be final.

Quaoarsking
08-21-2022, 11:53 PM
[/B]

They may not care about a game against us, but they care about an easy W. MSU, UT and the Barn is who they will angle for (three easy wins).

Alabama has won 9 of the last 10 against LSU, as opposed to 10 of the last 10 against us. Everyone's an easy win to them (except for Auburn, actually). Alabama 100% wants LSU as their permanent opponent instead of us.

Todd4State
08-21-2022, 11:57 PM
[/B]

No. LOL. They schedule people like Michigan, USC, and etc. OOC every year as it is. Alabama fans and Alabama thinks that they can beat anyone. If they wanted an easy win then they would lobby for Vanderbilt- not us who sometimes plays them tough and knocked out Tua for the year a few years ago.

They're Alabama. Not Ole Miss.

Todd4State
08-21-2022, 11:58 PM
Jimbo already spilled the beans that Texas A&M's permanent opponents are Texas, LSU, and ... Mississippi State.

Of course he might have been wrong, or those might not be final.

Which I believe goes along with what Dellenger was saying in his "predictions"- which I'm sure were very educated.

smootness
08-22-2022, 05:44 AM
Surely with 16 it is easier to have 4 pods and you always play your pod and you rotate pods every two years after you play that pod and half of another home and away.

Pods would be
MO, Um, us, and Ark
LSU, OK, TX, aTm
Alabama, Auburn, UT, Vandy
Georgia, UF, SC, Kentucky

All organized by geography in 4 sections.
You always play your individual pod.
You rotate an entire pod and half of another every two years.

You would play in every stadium every single 4 years and play everyone atleast twice every four years, and you would play your 3 pod members every year.

This could be a fixed schedule forever, establishing which games are played on which weeks. Give half the SEC off week 5 and the other half off week 6, every year. All nonconference games can be also blocked out. With just a minimum amount of organizing with other conferences, that too can be blocked out for P5 matchups, blind draw.

They would never in a million years put those first 2 pods together. Ours isn't nearly strong enough and LSU's way too strong.

RiverCityDawg
08-22-2022, 07:14 AM
Which I believe goes along with what Dellenger was saying in his "predictions"- which I'm sure were very educated.

It's amazing how many people don't understand this. Ross is one of the most connected writers in the game. He wasn't guessing.

PGHBulldogBG
08-22-2022, 08:01 AM
Besides OM I don’t know who else would be in our POD. I would think OM and LSU would be in the same POD. Wouldn’t it make sense for it to be State, OM, LSU and Ark? Then have aTm, Tex, OU, Missouri. Bama, Auburn, Tenn, Vandy. UF, USCe, UK and UGA?

Quaoarsking
08-22-2022, 08:13 AM
Besides OM I don’t know who else would be in our POD. I would think OM and LSU would be in the same POD. Wouldn’t it make sense for it to be State, OM, LSU and Ark? Then have aTm, Tex, OU, Missouri. Bama, Auburn, Tenn, Vandy. UF, USCe, UK and UGA?

Pods aren't happening. It's going to be 3/6 on a team by team basis.

Todd4State
08-22-2022, 08:28 AM

LSU is going to have Ole Miss, Alabama and probably Texas A&M.

Arkansas is probably going to end up with Texas who they have a historical rivalry with and Oklahoma and Mizzou.

viverlibre
08-22-2022, 08:56 AM
No. LOL. They schedule people like Michigan, USC, and etc. OOC every year as it is. Alabama fans and Alabama thinks that they can beat anyone. If they wanted an easy win then they would lobby for Vanderbilt- not us who sometimes plays them tough and knocked out Tua for the year a few years ago.

They're Alabama. Not Ole Miss.

Those are OoC games champ and have no impact on them getting to Atlanta which is a huge step into getting on the playoff. You think they are going to clamor for UGA so they can have another big game and face good competition? Having MSU on the schedule gives them more latitude to schedule a stronger OoC team. Plus the gumps love to come to Starkvegas. Easy drive no hotel room needed and easy W.

confucius say
08-22-2022, 09:42 AM

And so on

I agree it's a done deal. It was a 7-7 split but the little 7 lost.

But I don't agree with those pairings. Bama will keep auburn.

Liverpooldawg
08-22-2022, 09:55 AM
Well if you wanted to keep it regional and play every team in the SEC over a two year period (at each stadium at least every 4 years) then:

4 pods, you play everyone in your pod every year. You play half the others one year, the other half the next.
A decent regional split would be:
1)Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas
2) LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, MSU
3) Bama, Auburn, Tenn, Vanderbilt
4) Florida, Georgia, S. Carolina, Kentucky.
You could swap Kentucky and Vandy or Tenn..

I'm sure it will look nothing like that though, that would be too logical.

Coach34
08-22-2022, 10:11 AM
They dont seem to be worried about keeping it regional anymore

Johnson85
08-22-2022, 12:02 PM
Those are OoC games champ and have no impact on them getting to Atlanta which is a huge step into getting on the playoff. You think they are going to clamor for UGA so they can have another big game and face good competition? Having MSU on the schedule gives them more latitude to schedule a stronger OoC team. Plus the gumps love to come to Starkvegas. Easy drive no hotel room needed and easy W.

It does, but so do six other teams. As far as scheduling and the SEC and Bama are concerned, we're completely interchangeable with Ole Miss, Arky, Kentucky, USCe, and Mizzou (Vandy is a step below; the TVs may be fine with a permanent Vandy and Bama matchup just b/c Vandy doesn't create ratings regardless and Bama may be able to carry it, but I would guess not). We have a slightly higher chance of ending up with Bama b/c of proximity, but it's not going to be a driving factor. Bama is for sure getting Auburn. After that, I think LSU and UTenn are the next preference. If Bama thinks UT is basically on a tier with us going forward, they may end up with those three. If Bama thinks UT is still likely to be a step above, they may agree to one or the other between LSU and UTenn and then fill the third from the Ole Miss/Arky/MSU/UK/USCe/Mizzou tier. They'll get whatever's left after doing everybody else's schedule. I think it will only come down to proximity if there are multiple schools needing a team from that tier to round out their schedule and there is nothing else to tilt the scales.

FISHDAWG
08-23-2022, 09:06 AM
It does, but so do six other teams. As far as scheduling and the SEC and Bama are concerned, we're completely interchangeable with Ole Miss, Arky, Kentucky, USCe, and Mizzou (Vandy is a step below; the TVs may be fine with a permanent Vandy and Bama matchup just b/c Vandy doesn't create ratings regardless and Bama may be able to carry it, but I would guess not). We have a slightly higher chance of ending up with Bama b/c of proximity, but it's not going to be a driving factor. Bama is for sure getting Auburn. After that, I think LSU and UTenn are the next preference. If Bama thinks UT is basically on a tier with us going forward, they may end up with those three. If Bama thinks UT is still likely to be a step above, they may agree to one or the other between LSU and UTenn and then fill the third from the Ole Miss/Arky/MSU/UK/USCe/Mizzou tier. They'll get whatever's left after doing everybody else's schedule. I think it will only come down to proximity if there are multiple schools needing a team from that tier to round out their schedule and there is nothing else to tilt the scales.

we're Bama's bitch ... and the fact that travel expense is a non factor makes me think they would want us over Tennessee

Desoto1967
08-23-2022, 09:21 AM
So any guesses on what happens to schools yearly OOC rivals? Clemson and SC, GAtech and Ga, FSU and FL, Louisville and KY? Will they be shoehorned in or is the league going past those?

Coach34
08-23-2022, 09:46 AM
we're Bama's bitch ... and the fact that travel expense is a non factor makes me think they would want us over Tennessee

TV wins in the end and they will decide most of all this. Thats why we keep seeing the same games on Saturday at 2:30 year after year

LSU/Bama or the Iron Bowl is always the highest rated game.
Georgia/Florida
Bama/Tenn
Auburn/Georgia
Georgia/Tenn

I wouldnt be surprised for us to get something like Mississippi, A&M, and UPig as permanents

Goldendawg
08-24-2022, 07:04 PM
I started a thread expressing my dissatisfaction with 4 OOC games and possible revenue produced when selling tickets to these games at sometimes $25 to $35. I know the ticket will cost more and it will be a tougher game, unless we get vandy, which we won't, but I am glad we may see a 9 game SEC season. I also like the possible 3-6 setup. I like the idea of playing all SEC teams more often. How in the world did we get GA two times so soon? Now, get bama out of our 3! Hail State!

Johnson85
08-25-2022, 03:46 PM

I was referencing the TV Exec's preference. What Saban wants (which is really what matters at the end of the day on the Bama side) is to maximize his chances of a championship. Since he knows he is going to have plenty of hard games each year and he wants to have some games to develop players, he will probably want MSU over UT (although he'd probably pick UK, Mizzou, or Vandy over MSU).

As far as the travel expenses, while I'm sure Byrne doesn't want to spend money for no reason, the cost difference in traveling to starkville versus say Knoxville every other year is so small in the context of their overall budget that I doubt it will drive anything unless Saban just doesn't have a preference.

PGHBulldogBG
08-25-2022, 04:02 PM
I am all for going to 9 SEC games, but I don’t want to keep playing another P5 team if we go that route. I would rather us play 2 mid level teams like Memphis, USM, Tulane and a cupcake. Also never play any of them away unless it’s USM and we get 2 home games from them. I am only okay with that so our fans from Southern Mississippi have a closer local game to attend and for recruiting the coast. No other road games outside SEC

War Machine Dawg
08-27-2022, 09:58 PM
I'm in favor of a 9 game SEC scheduled if and only if they drop the P5 OOC game requirement. Only about 4 teams could post a winning record if we're expected to play 9 SEC games and another P5 opponent, even if you intentionally sandbag by scheduling bad P5 teams

Todd4State
08-28-2022, 01:51 AM

What on Earth are you talking about? I have Alabama alumni in my family and I have never heard them ever say that once. And one has season tickets to Alabama games. They have had the same scheduling format in the SEC as everyone else for years. It's not like they cherry pick playing Vandy every year. And by the way- yes those OOC games absolutely affect their BCS rating. Alabama is good at playing the perception game. They'll play someone like Michigan or USC in those kickoff classics and dominate them and it will impress the ESPN talking heads every time because they overrate Michigan and others.

Todd4State
08-28-2022, 01:54 AM
I am all for going to 9 SEC games, but I don’t want to keep playing another P5 team if we go that route. I would rather us play 2 mid level teams like Memphis, USM, Tulane and a cupcake. Also never play any of them away unless it’s USM and we get 2 home games from them. I am only okay with that so our fans from Southern Mississippi have a closer local game to attend and for recruiting the coast. No other road games outside SEC

I agree. I would add UAB to your list mostly because that school seems to have a lot of MSU ties whether it be athletics or students.

I'm in favor of a 9 game SEC scheduled if and only if they drop the P5 OOC game requirement. Only about 4 teams could post a winning record if we're expected to play 9 SEC games and another P5 opponent, even if you intentionally sandbag by scheduling bad P5 teams

I also agree. I just never liked the SEC telling us who to schedule because Alabama wants to play in a kickoff classic and because Florida and Georgia have in state rivals that are in the ACC.

Quaoarsking
08-28-2022, 09:43 AM
Prediction: the 3/6 format only exists briefly, as the Big 10 and SEC find a way to crack the ACC and expand to 20-24 teams before long.

1bigdawg
08-28-2022, 11:33 AM
I think we end up with OM, Kentucky and A&M as our "permanents."