PDA

View Full Version : Observations from Mississippi State football's open scrimmage..... article

99jc
08-20-2022, 06:19 PM
STARKVILLE ? Mississippi State football fans got a taste Saturday of what's just two weeks away: gameday at Davis Wade Stadium.

The Bulldogs opened their second preseason scrimmage to the public, which lasted about two hours before lightning in the area forced the team to move indoors.

MSU ran six drives ? two with Will Rogers, two with Sawyer Robertson, one with Chance Lovertich and one with Daniel Greek ? before the stadium was cleared. After the spring scrimmage was also moved indoors due to weather, Saturday was the first time fans got a glimpse of the 2022 team.

Unlike the first scrimmage, fans witnessed a good day for Mike Leach and his offense.

Rufus Harvey shines

Wide receiver Makai Polk was the clear standout from Mississippi State's preseason practice a year ago. Though he might not catch 105 passes, Rufus Harvey has been that guy in 2022.

Harvey impressed again with three catches for 62 yards and two touchdowns before practice moved indoors. He fell a yard short of a third touchdown.

Inside receiver Austin Williams has been impressed by the development of Harvey, and noted the versatility he could add to the unit.

"He's a really smart football player," Harvey said. "He's played all four (receiver) positions on the field before."

Harvey appeared in five games last season with a touchdown catch against Vanderbilt.

Safety position battle
Defensive coordinator Zach Arnett predicted last season Corey Ellington would earn playing time as his freshman season went on. Ellington, who didn't appear in the first five games, played in MSU's final eight games, including a start in the Liberty Bowl.

That momentum has carried into his sophomore year.

Ellington took first team reps at strong safety with fifth-year player Jalen Green working as the backup. However, after mistakes in his second practice as the primary starter Thursday, Ellington was called out by senior safety Collin Duncan.

Green and Ellington took first-team reps Saturday, though Green took the majority.

"They're fighting it out," Leach said. "I think Jalen Green had a little better day today. I think it's competitive. That's they key. We have enough guys in the secondary that it's competitive, and it needs to be."

Corner depth added importance

Martin Emerson and Emmanuel Forbes played the majority of Mississippi State's snaps at corner last season. With Emerson departing for the NFL, there was concern about who would emerge as State's No. 2 behind Forbes.

Now, there's a chance the team is deeper at the position than before.

Decamerion Richardson has taken the step entering his junior season MSU hoped he would. Alabama transfer Marcus Banks, who was hurt in the spring, has brought a chippy mentality. Esaias Furdge has been given more responsibility as Forbes' backup.

That's important as Forbes did not take part in team drills Friday or Saturday, though he did go through individual work with a knee brace on.

"(Furdge) is really aggressive and plays really hard," Leach said. "He's not afraid of anything. His skillset is improved."

parabrave
08-20-2022, 07:07 PM
Any designed running plays?

TrapGame
08-20-2022, 07:18 PM

Leach isn't going to show something like that in an open scrimmage. If there are designed run plays we ain't seeing 'em till LSU.

Goldendawg
08-20-2022, 08:11 PM

MSU Sr son and I went. Both Sawyer and Will ran an option at least once each. Hard to tell how it would have worked as they were in green no contact jerseys.

Never saw Dolla Bill get beat, was maybe against D2 a lot of time, good footwork and use of long arms without holding.

Rufus Harvey in very quick and ready to play.

FG looked good from 30 to maybe 42 yds with only one miss to the right.

I didn't have a roster and didn't know at times who was who or which string was lined up against who.

Be thankful our first game is at 6:30pm. The sun/heat was definite Mississippi 8/20. I wore white and didn't have a dry thread.

BuckyIsAB****
08-20-2022, 10:44 PM
It took Rufus Harvey a little while to adjust and grow up but he was absolutely electric at Starkville. He has potential to be one of our best. Great route runner and you couldnt tackle him 1v1 in a phone booth

msstate7
08-20-2022, 10:53 PM
It took Rufus Harvey a little while to adjust and grow up but he was absolutely electric at Starkville. He has potential to be one of our best. Great route runner and you couldnt tackle him 1v1 in a phone booth

Nice, we desperately need a guy that can get YAC

WhiskeyPirate
08-21-2022, 01:45 PM
I hope Harvey gets a lot more PT this year. If he’s sure handed i think you have to play him.