PDA

View Full Version : Who is our best returning QB, saying Dak returns next year?

RougeDawg
11-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Williams has looked damn good every time he's played and is gaining confidence. He throws a nice ball and can run. He fits the offense to a T. Looks promising for the future with he and Dak running the show with all of our other young players.

Lloyd Christmas
11-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Dak, no doubt. Damien will be good though. I hope Dan now realizes that he should never recruit a pro style QB ever again.

DawgsBite34
11-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Dak

AROB44
11-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Is there really a question?

Bark
11-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Williams has looked damn good every time he's played and is gaining confidence. He throws a nice ball and can run. He fits the offense to a T. Looks promising for the future with he and Dak running the show with all of our other young players.

Is this even a serious question? If so you must be really good at the jazz flute.

HoopsDawg
11-24-2013, 03:19 PM
It's great to know that we will have a very capable backup in Damien. Just as long as Mullen doesn't try and incorporate any kind of QB rotation. You always have to worry about that with Mullen.

Todd4State
11-24-2013, 03:44 PM
It's great to know that we will have a very capable backup in Damien. Just as long as Mullen doesn't try and incorporate any kind of QB rotation. You always have to worry about that with Mullen.

Actually, the biggest concern with Dan right now going to forward as far as QB's is concerned is I think he asks them to run too much. I understand that the option and running the QB is a big part of his offense, but it's getting our QB's beat the hell up. See Relf's senior year, and then this year where we are down to our third string guy. Tyler survived 2012 in part because of his skill set not allowing Dan to run him as much. Relf survived 2010 and Relf and Lee played about 50% of the time each which I think kept them upright at least somewhat.

As it is Dak is hurt and appears to be out for the rest of the regular season. Is that going to linger into the offseason and how will it affect Dak's running next year?

I'm not saying we should take QB runs out of the offense- but I do think we need to try to limit it to about 5-8 plays a game as opposed to what seems like 20 plays a game with Dak in there and we also need to look at more creative running plays designed for our running backs to offset the need to run the QB so much.

godlluB
11-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Jameon Lewis **

smootness
11-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Actually, the biggest concern with Dan right now going to forward as far as QB's is concerned is I think he asks them to run too much. I understand that the option and running the QB is a big part of his offense, but it's getting our QB's beat the hell up. See Relf's senior year, and then this year where we are down to our third string guy. Tyler survived 2012 in part because of his skill set not allowing Dan to run him as much. Relf survived 2010 and Relf and Lee played about 50% of the time each which I think kept them upright at least somewhat.

As it is Dak is hurt and appears to be out for the rest of the regular season. Is that going to linger into the offseason and how will it affect Dak's running next year?

I'm not saying we should take QB runs out of the offense- but I do think we need to try to limit it to about 5-8 plays a game as opposed to what seems like 20 plays a game with Dak in there and we also need to look at more creative running plays designed for our running backs to offset the need to run the QB so much.

We need to keep doing whatever works. We'll soon have enough QBs that can run the system that it won't be so devastating if one goes down.

Political Hack
11-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Staley will challenge Damien for the number two spot as soon as he steps on campus. I think staley gets reps early and often next season if he arrives during the spring and stays healthy. Also, he and his dad could want him to RS rather than waste a year splitting snaps and easing into action. A fifth year Sr year is much more valuable than a true freshman year. Long term payoff would be much more beneficial.

Dak will never be a QB who plays 100% of the snaps for several reasons, including he's a bruiser and it's hard for a RB to play an entire game too.

archdog
11-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Dak, no doubt. Damien will be good though. I hope Dan now realizes that he should never recruit a pro style QB ever again.

I love Tyler, but I am sure Dan has learned his lesson. 4 dual threat qbs will be on campus next year and I hope we use atleast one of them as a dual position player wr/qb type like Randal Cobb.

Todd4State
11-24-2013, 06:09 PM
We need to keep doing whatever works. We'll soon have enough QBs that can run the system that it won't be so devastating if one goes down.

It's not a question of it working or not. It works. It's a question of maximizing our potential as an offense. There aren't very many teams that are able to maximize their potential with their third string QB or with their QB's battered to pieces.

Todd4State
11-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Staley will challenge Damien for the number two spot as soon as he steps on campus. I think staley gets reps early and often next season if he arrives during the spring and stays healthy. Also, he and his dad could want him to RS rather than waste a year splitting snaps and easing into action. A fifth year Sr year is much more valuable than a true freshman year. Long term payoff would be much more beneficial.

Dak will never be a QB who plays 100% of the snaps for several reasons, including he's a bruiser and it's hard for a RB to play an entire game too.

This all day long. Staley has a chance to be very special. And like I said, who knows if Dak will be able to shake this current injury as it is?

Diggs
11-24-2013, 06:13 PM
And the story lines start to build as usual for Mississippi State's Legendary Backup QB....

Todd4State
11-24-2013, 06:20 PM
And the story lines start to build as usual for Mississippi State's Legendary Backup QB....

Just remember I'm the guy that said that Dylan Favre sucked, that Nick Schuessler was a *****, told people that if we got Cam Newton we would win at least ten games and he would change our program, and that Tyler Russell would set school records for passing yards.

You have to impress me before I annoint you.

Maroons
11-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Staley isn't enrolling until the summer.

Todd4State
11-24-2013, 07:25 PM

Correct. I have seen video of him playing however.

And to be clear- so long as Dak is healthy I expect him to be the starting QB for MSU. Staley will be outstanding once he is ready.

HoopsDawg
11-24-2013, 07:26 PM

Staley definitely needs to redshirt unless Dak gets hurt. And Dan does need to do a better job of protecting Dak especially in games where we don't need him to run in order to win.

Diggs
11-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Just remember I'm the guy that said that Dylan Favre sucked, that Nick Schuessler was a *****, told people that if we got Cam Newton we would win at least ten games and he would change our program, and that Tyler Russell would set school records for passing yards.

You have to impress me before I annoint you.

None of those are really ground breaking assessments for anyone with a decent football IQ and knowledge of the recruiting game (take that as a compliment).

FWIW I agree Staley is going to special. I was just busting chops over the legendary QB rumors. It's partially true because we are recruiting better at that position than ever before. Each guy we bring in seems like he has to potential to be more successful than the next. THAT is how you build a program.

thunderclap
11-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Is this a joke?

DownwardDawg
11-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Williams looked very uncomfortable during his TD run. I watched if several times and he doesn't run fluidly like Dak.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Williams looked very uncomfortable during his TD run. I watched if several times and he doesn't run fluidly like Dak.

Very true, but he is a durable body and doesn't run like a wounded giraffe either.

Where'sWaldo
11-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Very true, but he is a durable body and doesn't run like a wounded giraffe either.

Williams is a better runner than Russell but not by much. He will have to be an excellent a passer to be a successful qb in the SEC because he's not even in the same stratosphere with Dak and Relf.

Goat Holder
11-24-2013, 10:46 PM
How did this thread not get locked for stupidity?

Goat Holder
11-24-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm curious to see what Mullen can do when he has 3 or 4 real dual threat QBs on the team. I think back in 2009 our offense was running well due to the fact that Lee and Relf were both mobile. I can't imagine what he'll be able to pull off with 2 QBs that are mobile AND can throw decently. It won't be an either/or anymore.

I think our offense will look about like RichRod's West Virginia offenses.

angusyoung
11-24-2013, 10:52 PM
I think our offense will look about like RichRod's West Virginia offenses.

Hilarious. Except without Pat White and Steve Slaton.

Goat Holder
11-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Relf got hurt in 2011 because our OL sucked. Prescott got hurt this year because he had to basically take the place of a tailback because we didn't have an effective one. And sometimes, shitty luck just happens, as with Russell. Sure Mullen asks his QBs to run more but in an ideal situation, I don't think they are anymore injury prone than any other system. At least in ours, QBs can be aggressive instead of passively taking hits like many pass-happy systems.

Goat Holder
11-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Funny thing is, Fitzgerald is probably the guy that will wow everybody, from this class. I think Staley will end up playing basketball full-time. I don't know, maybe we can ask his dad, he posts here.

Goat Holder
11-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Pat White was a 2 star guy that nobody offered as a QB.

Slaton was a 3 star running.

Not too far-fetched that we might be able to snag in some talent comparable to that sooner or later.

Barking 13
11-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Funny thing is, Fitzgerald is probably the guy that will wow everybody, from this class. I think Staley will end up playing basketball full-time. I don't know, maybe we can ask his dad, he posts here.

That's what I was thinking.. Fitz is the wild card.... probably wind up something like Dak, Fitz, DW, and RS Staley. WE HAVE to use JRob, Shump, Nick, A. Williams, etc. to keep the heat off the QB. There's NO reason in the world for a QB to run that much with that backfield, unless there is a decision making / trust / ego flaw where the QB "thinks" he should run the ball.

Goat Holder
11-25-2013, 10:21 AM
He also stopped running when he had a big hole against Alabama. It was like he lacked the instinct to go ahead and make that play.

Goat Holder
11-25-2013, 10:24 AM
It's my opinion that with Perkins hurt, we had nobody else to really run the ball effectively. Mullen sees these guys in practice, he knows who can play and who can't. Robinson does some good things at times, but I have to believe that if they were world beaters like everybody says, they'd be playing more.

I mean, when Dixon and Ballard were on campus, Mullen fed them all day. Nobody we have on campus now is in their ballpark. I'm hoping Williams is the guy. I personally think Robinson is average, like Perkins, and that Shumpert isn't the next coming either.

Coach34
11-25-2013, 10:34 AM
It's my opinion that with Perkins hurt, we had nobody else to really run the ball effectively. Mullen sees these guys in practice, he knows who can play and who can't. Robinson does some good things at times, but I have to believe that if they were world beaters like everybody says, they'd be playing more.

Just when you think this thread cant get any worse.....

Robinson was suspended for the 1st half vs UPig. Milton got the call because he had had a really good week of practice and knows his assignments better than Shumpert.

Perkins plays ahead of Robinson because he is a SR who does everything right as far as having character, weight room, practices hard. Mullen is rewarding the hard work he demands as coach. You cant just always play the more talented player of he doesnt do what is asked- if you do, you end up with a Stands-type or Nutt-type of situation where there is no discipline and things starts turning to shit.

Robinson is a damn good RB. Shumpert will be also. Hell, Milton is a legit SEC RB- he just cant hold on to the damn ball. He needs to switch positions or drop to a lower level.

WeWillScrewItUp
11-25-2013, 10:42 AM

I mean, when Dixon and Ballard were on campus, Mullen fed them all day. Nobody we have on campus now is in their ballpark. I'm hoping Williams is the guy. I personally think Robinson is average, like Perkins, and that Shumpert isn't the next coming either.

I think Griffin was that guy but the injuries ruined that. I still think he is a solid RB but prior to his knee issues I think he could have been the next dominant RB for us.

Goat Holder
11-25-2013, 10:47 AM
You all have been clamoring for Robinson to play all year, so let's not act like this Arkansas game is excused by a suspension. I myself thought he should be the first RB off the bench too. But I still don't think he's a work-horse type of back that changes games. Sure he's plenty good. But a Dixon/Ballard he is not, at least at this point in time. He's got a tad different skill set than Perkins, and I'm not ready to say that he's better or worse.

I am definitely looking forward to what he can do alongside Prescott next year, when both are a year older/stronger/more prepared.

In the end, nothing I said in my post was incorrect. You are making assumptions, I am trusting the coaching staff.

Coach34
11-25-2013, 11:02 AM
You all have been clamoring for Robinson to play all year, so let's not act like this Arkansas game is excused by a suspension. I myself thought he should be the first RB off the bench too. But I still don't think he's a work-horse type of back that changes games. Sure he's plenty good.

In the end, nothing I said in my post was incorrect. You are making assumptions, I am trusting the coaching staff.

Yes, I have been clamoring for Robinson- and it was explained to me this weekend as to why Perkins starts. I am no longer making any assumptions now that I was given the reason.

You did say "It's my opinion that with Perkins hurt, we had nobody else to really run the ball effectively"

Robinson has run for 711 yards on 123 carries in his career, That is 5.78 ypc. That is indeed someone that is running the ball effectively.
By comparision, Ballard ran for 5.69 ypc and Dixon ran for 5.4 under Mullen his Sr year- but was about 4.5 for his career thanks to Croom.

JRob is a beast that needs more carries. Hopefully he gets them Thursday

TheDawgBiscuit
11-25-2013, 11:28 AM
I am concerned for pure rented mule though. We need a fluid passer who is mobile. But our QB should always be a run threat and get several designed plays called. But I think we need more diamond and have two bug backs in their. It keeps everyone honest and opens up the pass.

I would take an Aaron Murray/James a Franklin type of QB. No more statue but cannot be a mule either. Our Offense needs to grow up to keep injuries down as much as possible.

hacker
11-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Just going to post this every time Goat talks about our shitty RBs after Perkins**

http://i.imgur.com/APQOvM1.png?2