PDA

View Full Version : Egg Bowl defense

CadaverDawg
11-24-2013, 01:36 PM
What type of defense should we expect to see?

As strange as it sounds...I have a lot of confidence in the gameplan Collins will draw up for this game. Ole Miss's offense has looked pretty shaky at times against good defenses. The only person on D that scares me for this game is Nickoe....because OM is good at finding the best matchup and trying to exploit it. Nickoe is a liability in coverage even though he has made some big plays lately.

Our DB's are going to have to tackle in the open field. Those little swing passes to Moncrief and Treadwell are hard to stop if you can't shed a WR block and tackle in the open field...and we have struggled at that this season.

Something tells me we will see a lot of the defense that we saw against A&M, where we keep the pocket in tact and not allow Wallace to leave it. He doesn't like standing in that pocket. He seems to want to get outside or else he's quick to tuck it and run up the middle if he can't get outside.

And then on 3rd and long situations, I expect to see a lot of what we did vs Bama, which is to occasionally rush 2 and drop 9 and force Sunshine to try and force it into a tight window somewhere.

The bottom line is, our CB's and Safety's have got to step up in order for us to have any chance to win this game IMO.

Thoughts?

CadaverDawg
11-24-2013, 01:38 PM
By the way, is Evan Ingram going to be out for them on Thursday? He is a terrible matchup for us in my opinion. I think he has been hurt, and I hope he doesn't play Thursday. They will try to match him up with Nickoe all night if he's available.

scottycameron
11-24-2013, 01:44 PM
He's out for year. And I'm hoping we blitz, blitz, and blitz some more. If Bo gets rattled in the pocket they are done.

DawgsBite34
11-24-2013, 01:47 PM
I think engram is out for the season, aint played in a long time. He'll be rusty even if he does play aint heard nothing about that. Defensively I think our front 7 in good enough to make sunshine have to beat us with his arm. I don't think he's good enough to do that. They don't take shots downfield they just dink and dunk, we have to tackle well. Collins likes to play aggressive so in the 3rd and longs I think we see a ton of blitzes which is good, their o -line hasn't looked good lately. Even against Troy. Nickoe will ball out its his last game at DWS. B

Coach34
11-24-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm running what Bammer did against them:

Saban put 5 in the box and dared them to run the football- he ran a 4-1 with that badass in the middle play MLB. I'd do the same with McKinney and make them beat me that way. Our DL should be physical and give them some trouble upfront. McKinney has to tackle though playing this type of defense.

They had 2 CB's on the outside to both sides- and had 2 safety's deep over the top. Doing that takes away their screen game to the outside- and it also takes away the "pump and go"- because they have safety help over the top.

DawgsBite34
11-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Saban put 5 in the box and dared them to run the football- he ran a 4-1 with that badass in the middle play MLB. I'd do the same with McKinney and make them beat me that way. Our DL should be physical and give them some trouble upfront. McKinney has to tackle though playing this type of defense.

They had 2 CB's on the outside to both sides- and had 2 safety's deep over the top. Doing that takes away their screen game to the outside- and it also takes away the "pump and go"- because they have safety help over the top.

Bama also played their ends in wide 9 techniques to keep them from getting outside. Think we should do the same

whosyourdawgy
11-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Did you watch last yearns Egg Bowl? Moncrief ate our lunch on passes downfield. We go in thinking like you and we get drilled

Coach34
11-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Bama also played their ends in wide 9 techniques to keep them from getting outside. Think we should do the same

good point- they funneled that running game back into their space-eating DT's and badass MLB

messageboardsuperhero
11-24-2013, 02:01 PM
It comes down to two things:

1. Tackle well on their bubble screens. I swear, half of their plays on offense are those sorry, gimmicky little WR screens- if the first man to the ball can make the tackle, they get very very frustrated (see the Mizzou game last night).

2. Don't let anyone behind you. Wallace doesn't have a strong arm, but he can throw those deep lobs. We need to contain the deep ball and short passes and force him to try to use his arm strength to fit the ball into tight windows- because whenever he tries to throw a bullet, it comes out like a wounded duck. Force Wallace to make the tough throws instead of the easy ones.

I feel pretty good about stopping their running game. We just need to be aggressive and frustrate them early and often- oh, and we MUST TACKLE.

Coach34
11-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Did you watch last yearns Egg Bowl? Moncrief ate our lunch on passes downfield. We go in thinking like you and we get drilled

not sure who you are replying to but I know at least 1 of Moncrief's TD's was on a CB blitz and Whitley didnt get over to cover him. One of the dumbest things we have done- blitzing a 2nd round pick CB in order to make a Safety cover Moncrief.

DawgsBite34
11-24-2013, 02:03 PM

Thinking like who?

DawgsBite34
11-24-2013, 02:04 PM
not sure who you are replying to but I know at least 1 of Moncrief's TD's was on a CB blitz and Whitley didnt get over to cover him. One of the dumbest things we have done- blitzing a 2nd round pick CB in order to make a Safety cover Moncrief.

Chris Wilson Logic.

Only DC in the nation that could waste a NFL D tackle, TWO NFL corners, and a NFL LB

Todd4State
11-24-2013, 02:27 PM

Sounds good to me. But our four corners are Cox, Redmond, Calhoun, and then....maybe Giles? Or are we going to be OK with Wells on Logan?

Todd4State
11-24-2013, 02:30 PM

For all intents and purposes, we were playing with 10 guys on defense since Nikoe didn't know what the hell he was doing. Nevermind the fact that we were playing bend and break Chris Wilson defense.

Even last night- Mizzou was running a lot of cover 2 and as good as they are Ole Miss moved the ball on them a good bit. It's just that when Ole Miss got inside the 10, they couldn't run it.

raymond21
11-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Our defense will be tested all night. Their offense is very good and have really only been shut down one time this year. If last night repeats itself, let them get in the red zone and force field goal attempts

DawgsBite34
11-24-2013, 02:34 PM
TSUN is a big play team. They get ancy if you just bottle them up. Freeze is that way too, he seems like a real light skinned guy, we're talking about a guy who got in a fight with his own fan after a game. He's had some questionable decisions this year to go for it on 4th when it wasn't necessary. Did it vs Bama, ended up getting shut out. Did it last night vs Mizzou. I think a cover 2 is a good plan to beat them, keeps a CB in the flats to help stop the quick screens and keeps 2 safeties deep at all times. Offenses hate a true cover 2, if its executed well it can stop just about anything. You have to have a good front 7 to run it though cause both your safeties are deep. I think our front is good enough like ive said on both sides of the ball. No big plays, if they move the ball some, fine. Hold them to FG's not TD's

Raytoraid83
11-24-2013, 03:07 PM
What scares me is the end around with Walton, Arkansas beat us a couple times with it and Autry has been known to lose containment on those type of plays.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2013, 03:24 PM
OM's offense is different on grass. Doesn't run as smooth or as quick. This game is going to be a dog fight.

Raytoraid83
11-24-2013, 03:33 PM
OM's offense is different on grass. Doesn't run as smooth or as quick. This game is going to be a dog fight.

Yep we're in a great spot, they have nothing to play for and first game away from home and on real grass in over a month. I truly believe that we won't see a game Dan is more prepared for than this one. After all the offseason stuff last year and them getting all the media love I can't think of a game Dan has wanted more since he's been here except maybe his first egg bowl. Hope I'm right, don't let me down Mullen.

Statecoachingblows**
11-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Shed blocks and make tackles. Can't let the dink and dunk bullshit go for 10-15 or more yards. I'm looking for a huge game from Chris Jones

DawgsBite34
11-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Yep we're in a great spot, they have nothing to play for and first game away from home and on real grass in over a month. I truly believe that we won't see a game Dan is more prepared for than this one. After all the offseason stuff last year and them getting all the media love I can't think of a game Dan has wanted more since he's been here except maybe his first egg bowl. Hope I'm right, don't let me down Mullen.

I think so too man, you could tell as soon as we won yesterday he was ready for this one.

Percho
11-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Shed blocks and make tackles. Can't let the dink and dunk bullshit go for 10-15 or more yards. I'm looking for a huge game from Chris Jones

They want to use the dink and dunk as a running play that picks up 4 plus yards to keep them out of third and long. Shut down the dink and dunk.

Bubb Rubb
11-24-2013, 07:00 PM

This logic is flawed. It's not like they're going to be playing in your back yard. The only way the turf would be an issue is if it is rainy and wet, and even then it would be minimal, and it would affect both teams.

I've seen them on another board making fun of the "they can't play on grass" argument, and they are right for that.

FFF
11-24-2013, 08:01 PM
My thoughts:

1. Make them run the ball. Dare them to run the ball. I agree with Coach, we have to play heavy in the defensive backfield... take away their bread and butter (quick screens to Treadwell and the slants/go's to Moncrief). Make someone else beat you.

2. We absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, need to be prepared in the red zone. OM runs a quick strike offense... they want to score on big plays. They are fast and they thrive on off-coverage. We need to study the shit out of their redzone offense and really limit their productivity in the red zone. Force them to field goal opportunities (or force them to try to go for it on 4th down... we have to win those, too).

I don't know the numbers, but their offense does not seem to be as productive when space in the passing game is taken away. They are what a spread offense is really supposed to be... spread the defense thin and QUICKLY attack the off-coverage (to negate pressure on the QB). Take away their space and force Bo Wallace to make pinpoint passes in coverage. Dare them to run the football. I would even dare say don't try to attack the QB (contain... use your D-Lineman... when in doubt, don't blitz).

Three points:

1. Take away their space in the passing lanes (key on the bubble screens)... force Bo to make pinpoint throws in traffic down the field.
2. Dare them to run the football. Freeze would much rather pass the ball.
3. Win the red zone. Make them kick.

Bubb Rubb
11-24-2013, 08:52 PM
The bottom line against them is defending them on first down. Their drives are momentum drives...they like to get to second and third and short and speed up the pace. If they get to second or third and long they slow the tempo down more and are far less effecient as an offense. We have to be strong on first down, and we have to do a better job of getting off the field on third down.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2013, 09:36 PM
This logic is flawed. It's not like they're going to be playing in your back yard. The only way the turf would be an issue is if it is rainy and wet, and even then it would be minimal, and it would affect both teams.

I've seen them on another board making fun of the "they can't play on grass" argument, and they are right for that.

Well they haven't won a game on grass since 2009, and their points per game go significantly down when they play on grass. So, you figure it out.

An, furthermore, many finesse style teams do struggle more on turf than they do on grass. Grass is always a slower surface.

Political Hack
11-24-2013, 09:43 PM

if you can stop the inside run with one LB you don't even have to do that the whole game because the OLBs will be able to cover the flat and maintain the edge. Point being, you're right, but we could throw a 1,000 different looks at them in a 4-1 can plug the inside.

Bubb Rubb
11-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Well they haven't won a game on grass since 2009, and their points per game go significantly down when they play on grass. So, you figure it out.

An, furthermore, many finesse style teams do struggle more on turf than they do on grass. Grass is always a slower surface.

They haven't played many games on grass since then. And most of the times they have has been at places like bama and LSU, where their scoring is going to be down.

What defines a finesse team? Can you provide any type of baseline criteria to label a team finesse, and then provide statistical comparison of their performance on turf vs. artificial turf?

Have you ever been on our field? What evidence can you provide that will prove that it is slower than an artificial surface?

I know you are looking for some kind of advantage, but you are reaching big time with this one.

archdog
11-24-2013, 10:24 PM
DE have to contain on 1st and 2nd down.
We have to disguise our blitzes well and come from the middle not from the CB spot.
CBs have to rotate coverage correctly and beat the wr screen blocking scheme. No missed tackles there or its 6 pts.

DT have to get pressure. Period.
LB - the running game falls directly on your shoulders. You have to have great gap awareness and keep the blocks off your body. Bbrown and McKinney better be ready to light some of these guys up.
Again, everytime they run the option Wallace needs to hit the dirt, everytime.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2013, 10:29 PM
They haven't played many games on grass since then. And most of the times they have has been at places like bama and LSU, where their scoring is going to be down.

What defines a finesse team? Can you provide any type of baseline criteria to label a team finesse, and then provide statistical comparison of their performance on turf vs. artificial turf?

Have you ever been on our field? What evidence can you provide that will prove that it is slower than an artificial surface?

I know you are looking for some kind of advantage, but you are reaching big time with this one.

WOW, why so defensive buddy? Seems like I may have touched a nerve.

I don't see how this logic is any worse than us not being able to win a game in Arkansas.

Just laying out the facts.

Bubb Rubb
11-24-2013, 10:32 PM
WOW, why so defensive buddy? Seems like I may have touched a nerve. Just laying out the facts.

not defensive at all. I'm actually asking you for facts. You gave none. You are giving a hypothesis, based on flawed logic.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2013, 10:36 PM
not defensive at all. I'm actually asking you for facts. You gave none. You are giving a hypothesis, based on flawed logic.

The fact is that they haven't won a game on grass since the 2008 season. Make of that what you will, but that is a fact.

I am not about to do hours of statistical work to win an argument against you.

If you don't think it matters, then fine, you don't think it matters.

How much do I think it matters? Probably not much, but they haven't won a game on grass since the 2008 season.

So just like us against Arkansas, they have a little history working against them. Will it make a difference? Who the hell knows.

OurState
11-24-2013, 10:56 PM
TSUN is a big play team. They get ancy if you just bottle them up. Freeze is that way too, he seems like a real light skinned guy, we're talking about a guy who got in a fight with his own fan after a game. He's had some questionable decisions this year to go for it on 4th when it wasn't necessary. Did it vs Bama, ended up getting shut out. Did it last night vs Mizzou. I think a cover 2 is a good plan to beat them, keeps a CB in the flats to help stop the quick screens and keeps 2 safeties deep at all times. Offenses hate a true cover 2, if its executed well it can stop just about anything. You have to have a good front 7 to run it though cause both your safeties are deep. I think our front is good enough like ive said on both sides of the ball. No big plays, if they move the ball some, fine. Hold them to FG's not TD's

I think you meant THIN SKINNED

FlabLoser
11-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Yep. A good defense is to put them in 4th & short on their on 40. They'll go for it.

Barking 13
11-25-2013, 09:42 AM
sunshine, meet Chris... and PJ, and Preston, and Kaleb, and AJ... hello Barry....