PDA

View Full Version : Finally, Some SEC Guys That Get It!!

TrapGame
08-14-2022, 12:25 PM
https://youtu.be/p1qqiv_hnvg

Hot Fact: Mike Leach has had three 3rd year starting QBs. Those teams won at least 9 games. All three QBs threw for over 5,000 yards in those seasons.

I highly recommend you guys watch the entire video. It's good stuff.

CaptainObvious
08-14-2022, 01:02 PM
But are they aware of the Indian burial ground under Scott Field?

parabrave
08-14-2022, 01:05 PM
But are they aware of the Indian burial ground under Scott Field?

Or they play in the SEC west not the PAC 12 north.

WhiskeyPirate
08-14-2022, 01:45 PM
One thing to know about the pac 12, WSU was the smallest budget, poorest team in the conference with the worst recruiting radius and Paul Wulf had left that program at div two level. Leach built them into a strong program that regularly whipped Oregon/Nike and handled usc pretty well.

That same scenario was pretty much at Texas tech as well when it came to Oklahoma, Texas and tamu.

Leach if nothing else is a guy that builds up David programs to compete with Goliath.

R2Dawg
08-14-2022, 01:47 PM
I think they are pretty accurate on our team and season. Of course they spin every team that way for clicks. The national polls and such just show how lazy most are not realizing what MSU is and has this year. The same was also going on in 14 preseason too. If we put a beat down on Memphis, I think that will give a few some insight into what everyone missed - kinda like beating USM 49-0 did in 14.

There is a real shot we are 7-0 going into Bama. That has happened what 3 times the past 13 years - 99, 12, 14.

Bulldog nation, it is put up or shut time in Starkvegas.

CaptainObvious
08-14-2022, 03:04 PM
WE BELIEVE!!!

parabrave
08-14-2022, 03:20 PM
WE BELIEVE!!!

Well Its next year and "Lets win Something Today'

Saltydog
08-14-2022, 04:14 PM
How'd he do with Washington?

WhiskeyPirate
08-14-2022, 04:16 PM
1) Bama 3) Georgia 5) A & M as per lindys ranking

There’s 3 losses. If you drop one to LSU, Arkansas or UK you are at four losses.

Could be a very good team and drop four even five. It also depends objectively IMO how they play these teams. Play them close, play them tough and you could have a team that goes 8-4 and be a top ten team.

WhiskeyPirate
08-14-2022, 04:22 PM
How'd he do with Washington?

UW was coached by Chris Petersen a solid coach who had UW playing at a high level with a lot of nfl players especially on the d line. Leach took over Wulfs mess of a program that could not beat big sky teams. Leach had one team in his tenure that could match up with and beat UW, that was Minshews year. Blizzard hit before kick off, and that was that. No passes could be thrown, zero visibility and howling winds. UW was a power run team.

So no WSU was not able to beat UW but they were hardly on even terms......it’s about like taking over Miss State and expecting Leach to dominate Alabama.....it will take a while and to be honest WSU does not have the resources to compete with UW especially when Oregon, USC and UW collaborate to hire away your o line coach, top recruiter, d line coach and d coordinator. It’s the haves or have nots.

KOdawg1
08-14-2022, 04:23 PM

There’s 3 losses. If you drop one to LSU, Arkansas or UK you are at four losses.

Could be a very good team and drop four even five. It also depends objectively IMO how they play these teams. Play them close, play them tough and you could have a team that goes 8-4 and be a top ten team.

I'm not willing to concede A&M at home just yet.

WhiskeyPirate
08-14-2022, 04:30 PM
I'm not willing to concede A&M at home just yet.

I’m not either, we beat them on the road and Leach has a and m’s number. The question is are they really a top five team and capable of winning the sec....which is what this guy was predicting.....or are they typical tamu.

SailingDawg
08-14-2022, 06:51 PM
WE BELIEVE!!!

Omg no

TrapGame
08-14-2022, 08:17 PM
WE BELIEVE!!!

We got way more talent than that team. Bad take my friend.

viverlibre
08-14-2022, 08:51 PM

^^^^^this guy gets it.

8-4 will be a whale of a season considering we have to play UGA. Ark, UK, the Barn, LSU and UM all have equivalent talent to us or better. My pick is 7-5 and that will be a good year considering our schedule.

Coach34
08-14-2022, 09:02 PM
7-5 will be very underwhelming

Goldendawg
08-14-2022, 09:52 PM

Especially if one of the losses is to a rebuilding OM team for the 3rd year in a row. Also those calling for a 6-6 floor should realize in today's scheduling that probably means 4-0 OOC and a bottom feeder 2-6 in the SEC! To me, this a terrible season any year/any coach. However with 6-6, we keep our bowl streak alive by playing in one of the "105" bowls available today. Anything less than 8-4 including a win over OM with what we have returning is a total failure in Year 3 under Leach. BTW, everyone has a tough schedule in the SEC West, Hail State!

BulldogBear
08-14-2022, 09:56 PM
TAMU will do what they always do. 8-4.

Goldendawg
08-14-2022, 10:18 PM
You go to any SEC team sites (except Vandy maybe) and you will get the same type reports of how O, D,ST, certain players have improved, stepped up, etc. Heck, I used to go Spring games and get exited. Haven't been to one in many years. No one will really know a lot about their 22 teams until they play someone else. I played at small NE MS school, TE, SE, & DE at 140 lb my SR year. We looked great in practice against the 2nd team, but only had about 23 players, grades 9-12. We went 1-9, but saw more pretty girls in corvettes at various HC games than probably anyone!**** I do think we have a good year in Leach 3. Hail State!

WhiskeyPirate
08-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Especially if one of the losses is to a rebuilding OM team for the 3rd year in a row. Also those calling for a 6-6 floor should realize in today's scheduling that probably means 4-0 OOC and a bottom feeder 2-6 in the SEC! To me, this a terrible season any year/any coach. However with 6-6, we keep our bowl streak alive by playing in one of the "105" bowls available today. Anything less than 8-4 including a win over OM with what we have returning is a total failure in Year 3 under Leach. BTW, everyone has a tough schedule in the SEC West, Hail State!

Let’s say LSU is pretty good this year under BK and we lose by 3 on the road, close game. Now we play Arkansas who is also pretty good ranked top 20 most of the year...and we lose in overtime.

That is 7-5 and that is assuming losses to Bama, Georgia and Tamu....ranked 1, 3 and 4.

I disagree that is a “total failure”. Maybe not great but it’s certainly not a horrible season.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-14-2022, 11:17 PM
Assuming the spirit world doesn't grab us by the balls, the success of this year's team will depend on the coaching staff and their motivational skills. Player experience and talent is there. If the coaches can amp the confidence level up
we will be a load to handle. I think we need to skull drag Memphis and Arizona for the Leach train to build the momentum to plow through the season.

HoopsDawg
08-15-2022, 12:45 AM
Assuming the spirit world doesn't grab us by the balls, the success of this year's team will depend on the coaching staff and their motivational skills. Player experience and talent is there. If the coaches can amp the confidence level up
we will be a load to handle. I think we need to skull drag Memphis and Arizona for the Leach train to build the momentum to plow through the season.

The success of this team depends on the left tackle and the right tackle. We should be good on defense. We are good at the skill positions. Leach is going to run his scheme. So it comes down to protection

Liverpooldawg
08-15-2022, 08:52 AM

It will depend more on how our tackles BLOCK.

parabrave
08-15-2022, 09:30 AM
The success of this team depends on the left tackle and the right tackle. We should be good on defense. We are good at the skill positions. Leach is going to run his scheme. So it comes down to protection

This all day.

Hot Rock
08-15-2022, 09:38 AM
This all day.

Agreed, it's whether these tackles can do it or not. I think they can. I know Leach has recruited well since he as been here along the OL but those guys are young. OL guys can take 2-3 years before they can handle the SEC. Even top JuCo's OL that end up in the NFL take a year of seeing it to get up to speed.

One good thing, these OL are seeing good DL in practice all during the spring and fall camps. They won't see the next level talent for a few more weeks and by then maybe they will be better prepared.

parabrave
08-15-2022, 09:43 AM
Agreed, it's whether these tackles can do it or not. I think they can. I know Leach has recruited well since he as been here along the OL but those guys are young. OL guys can take 2-3 years before they can handle the SEC. Even top JuCo's OL that end up in the NFL take a year of seeing it to get up to speed.

One good thing, these OL are seeing good DL in practice all during the spring and fall camps. They won't see the next level talent for a few more weeks and by then maybe they will be better prepared.

And if Leach incorporates a running game, esp inside the 20. Like he did in the KY game.

TrapGame
08-15-2022, 09:47 AM
And if Leach incorporates a running game, esp inside the 20. Like he did in the KY game.

Steve said on one of the Bone Yard podcasts that Leach has talked to Riley and Kingsbury about how they utilize the run game in their version of the AR.

CaptainObvious
08-15-2022, 10:32 AM
Steve said on one of the Bone Yard podcasts that Leach has talked to Riley and Kingsbury about how they utilize the run game in their version of the AR.

Again, the offensive line will be key here as well, can they pass block for 50 plays and run block for 25 and be successful? 1 thing is for sure, with this offense we cannot average 24 points per game and expect to go 9-3 or even 8-4. This offense has to average in the 30?s for that kind of success, regardless of how good our defense is. In this league, there are a lot of good offenses that will make plays against good defenses. Even Forbes and Emerson got beat last year several times.

Pass Rush! Pass Rush! Pass Rush! That is the other key. So as always, it comes din to how good your lines are on both sides of the ball.

8-4 would be a very good season. We don?t play in the No Defense Big 12 or the Top Heavy PAC 12. 8-4 would be equivalent to 10-2 in those leagues.

HoopsDawg
08-15-2022, 10:59 AM

I'm not sure what there was to talk about. Riley doesn't use the wide splits. And Kingbury has a mobile QB. If Leach doesn't tighten the splits, we won't have much of a run game other than what we've seen the past 2 years.

TrapGame
08-15-2022, 11:11 AM
Again, the offensive line will be key here as well, can they pass block for 50 plays and run block for 25 and be successful? 1 thing is for sure, with this offense we cannot average 24 points per game and expect to go 9-3 or even 8-4. This offense has to average in the 30?s for that kind of success, regardless of how good our defense is. In this league, there are a lot of good offenses that will make plays against good defenses. Even Forbes and Emerson got beat last year several times.

Pass Rush! Pass Rush! Pass Rush! That is the other key. So as always, it comes din to how good your lines are on both sides of the ball.

8-4 would be a very good season. We don?t play in the No Defense Big 12 or the Top Heavy PAC 12. 8-4 would be equivalent to 10-2 in those leagues.

All we need is average LT play to have a good season. I understand this is the hill the haters have decided to die upon.

I'm not sure what there was to talk about. Riley doesn't use the wide splits. And Kingbury has a mobile QB. If Leach doesn't tighten the splits, we won't have much of a run game other than what we've seen the past 2 years.

Leach ran the ball more at Tech b/c he had Baron Batch. Splits didn't matter. Batch could tote the rock. We've got two experienced backs in peak physical shape. We're going to run the ball more. Everyone needs to revisit the Texas Tech 2008 season. They ran the ball a lot.

Johnson85
08-15-2022, 11:30 AM

It will be underwhelming but not necessarily terrible, depending on how we compete in the losses. I really think we're a 10 win team except for an Achilles heal at the OT spots. That and a ridiculous schedule could mean 7-5.

HoopsDawg
08-15-2022, 12:10 PM
All we need is average LT play to have a good season. I understand this is the hill the haters have decided to die upon.

Leach ran the ball more at Tech b/c he had Baron Batch. Splits didn't matter. Batch could tote the rock. We've got two experienced backs in peak physical shape. We're going to run the ball more. Everyone needs to revisit the Texas Tech 2008 season. They ran the ball a lot.

Defenses, especially personnel have changed a lot since 14 years ago. Washington created the blueprint and Leach hasn't adjusted. The SEC has the most athletic Dlinemen in the county. Gotta be able to block 3 with 5. We'll see.

Goldendawg
08-15-2022, 12:15 PM
I hope all the off season work that Dolla put in in the off season pays off. He was often a penalty machine last year. With him at LT and Jones at RT, that is two seniors starting. That is about the most experience you can put on the field except for someone else's grad transfer. We will need a few younger players to step up quick for depth. Remember, Lashley didn't sniff the field at bama except or ST and a little backup duty, yet he transfers to us and was an immediate starter. Didn't say much to OT readiness last year. Hail State!

TrapGame
08-15-2022, 12:51 PM
Defenses, especially personnel have changed a lot since 14 years ago. Washington created the blueprint and Leach hasn't adjusted. The SEC has the most athletic Dlinemen in the county. Gotta be able to block 3 with 5. We'll see.

Texas was dropping 8 and rushing 3 in 2008.

Johnson85
08-15-2022, 01:32 PM
I hope all the off season work that Dolla put in in the off season pays off. He was often a penalty machine last year. With him at LT and Jones at RT, that is two seniors starting. That is about the most experience you can put on the field except for someone else's grad transfer. We will need a few younger players to step up quick for depth. Remember, Lashley didn't sniff the field at bama except or ST and a little backup duty, yet he transfers to us and was an immediate starter. Didn't say much to OT readiness last year. Hail State!

??? OT play killed us against Ole Miss. We struggled with false starts all year, I think primarily because Lashley had trouble handling decently quick DEs that he was always on a hair trigger.

WhiskeyPirate
08-15-2022, 01:37 PM

What you think dropping eight is a new blue print ?

HoopsDawg
08-15-2022, 04:38 PM

Teams are much more comfortable playing with extra DBs. Nobody runs a 4-3 anymore

schddog72
08-15-2022, 08:20 PM

With our talent level, with Leach as our coach (he always loses one he should win), in the SEC, with our schedule - 6-6 is very realistic and 7-5 should be considered a major accomplishment.

WhiskeyPirate
08-15-2022, 09:14 PM
Teams are much more comfortable playing with extra DBs. Nobody runs a 4-3 anymore

.......and

parabrave
08-15-2022, 09:43 PM

For LSU it was.

PMDawg
08-16-2022, 08:48 AM
Trying to predict a record for a Leach-led team is impossible. We certainly have the talent to win 9 or 10 games, if things go our way. We also have the schedule to win 5 or 6 games.

The thing with Leach's offense is that it's very high risk/high reward. Passing the ball 50 or 60 times a game is risky. It leads to major swings in momentum and game trajectory, and a lot of it is totally unpredictable. Drops, tips, sacks, long completions, pick sixes, interceptions, scoop and scores, penalties - they all occur at a much higher rate in this offense. When his offense is clicking, it's almost impossible to stop. When it's off by a few beats, it's dog crap - quick 3 and outs or turnovers. We've already seen this. And playing top 25 defenses week after week means you are at a higher risk of paying larger consequences for smaller mistakes each and every time you take the field on offense. Thus the "will it work in the SEC" debate. I think we'll truly find out this year. We have all of the tools, of that I have no doubt. So, let's see what happens! To me, it's a mystery at this point. Neither 6-6 nor 10-2 will surprise me, nor will anything in between.

Coach34
08-16-2022, 09:04 AM
Trying to predict a record for a Leach-led team is impossible. We certainly have the talent to win 9 or 10 games, if things go our way. We also have the schedule to win 5 or 6 games.

The thing with Leach's offense is that it's very high risk/high reward. Passing the ball 50 or 60 times a game is risky. It leads to major swings in momentum and game trajectory, and a lot of it is totally unpredictable. Drops, tips, sacks, long completions, pick sixes, interceptions, scoop and scores, penalties - they all occur at a much higher rate in this offense. When his offense is clicking, it's almost impossible to stop. When it's off by a few beats, it's dog crap - quick 3 and outs or turnovers. We've already seen this. And playing top 25 defenses week after week means you are at a higher risk of paying larger consequences for smaller mistakes each and every time you take the field on offense. Thus the "will it work in the SEC" debate. I think we'll truly find out this year. We have all of the tools, of that I have no doubt. So, let's see what happens! To me, it's a mystery at this point. Neither 6-6 nor 10-2 will surprise me, nor will anything in between.

There is nothing wrong with your post. It's a good take. But I think too much of the focus is on the offense. The reason myself and others think this should be a team that wins between 9 and 11 games is because of the D. We have a legit Top 20 defense in 2022. Last year we were 9th in the SEC in Scoring D and 5th in Total. 62nd and 31 nationally. This group and its depth should improve on those numbers quite a bit provided we dont see a rash of injuries.

memsu06
08-16-2022, 09:52 AM
Go watch the 2008 Texas Tech vs Texas game. Will Muschamp didn't rush 3 and drop 8 he nearly brought pressure every snap. It will come down to the OL play this year against SEC defenses. We don't have to have a replacement for Cross, but the group just needs to be good overall and we'll be ok.

With our 3 running backs this year I could see Leach running the ball more than last year. Our defense will be better than Tech's was back then. I think we're going to be the wrecking ball of hopes and dreams this year in the SEC. Probably going to win some games we had no chance at winning and losing some we shouldn't if we have a bad night.

PMDawg
08-16-2022, 10:05 AM
There is nothing wrong with your post. It's a good take. But I think too much of the focus is on the offense. The reason myself and others think this should be a team that wins between 9 and 11 games is because of the D. We have a legit Top 20 defense in 2022. Last year we were 9th in the SEC in Scoring D and 5th in Total. 62nd and 31 nationally. This group and its depth should improve on those numbers quite a bit provided we dont see a rash of injuries.

I don't disagree. But, still, it comes back to the offense. The Air Raid puts the defense in a tough spot, regardless of how the offense is doing. If the offense is doing great, the defense could see the field a lot (granted, it's a ball control offense and a lot of times the offense actually eats clock when it's going well). But, at some point, there are going to be a lot of quick drives (whether 3 and out or quick strikes) and the defense ends up on the field a lot. Depth on the defense can help us out there. So, yes, if our defense takes the leap it should, you're probably right, provided the offense doesn't have more than a couple of games where they just can't get anything going.

TrapGame
08-16-2022, 10:09 AM
Go watch the 2008 Texas Tech vs Texas game. Will Muschamp didn't rush 3 and drop 8 he nearly brought pressure every snap. It will come down to the OL play this year against SEC defenses. We don't have to have a replacement for Cross, but the group just needs to be good overall and we'll be ok.

With our 3 running backs this year I could see Leach running the ball more than last year. Our defense will be better than Tech's was back then. I think we're going to be the wrecking ball of hopes and dreams this year in the SEC. Probably going to win some games we had no chance at winning and losing some we shouldn't if we have a bad night.

Boom did rush 3 and drop 8 early on but Baron Batch the RB gashed them every time. He started bringing pressure against Harrell b/c he was carving them up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Brent Musburger even commented during the game that Boom was throwing the kitchen sink at Tech defensively but it wasn't stopping them. We have two backs very comparable to Batch but probably more physical. That was probably Leach's best defense at Tech and ours is better than that one by a mile.

TrapGame
08-17-2022, 08:07 AM
https://youtu.be/PvFV7IuJ8AA

McElroy gets it too. There's something about this team.

viverlibre
08-17-2022, 08:27 AM
Neither 6-6 nor 10-2 will surprise me, nor will anything in between.

10-2 is just not happening, but 6-6 may. Here's a schedule break down. Win all 4 non conference games. Count Bama, UGA, LSU and TAMU as losses (be nice to steal one, but we gotta count them as losses at this point). Thats's 4-4. Ark, UK, the Barn and UM will make or break our season. We can win all four and be 8-4 or lose all 4, neither will surprise me - we recruit on average with this group. Personally, I think we split those, but steal one in Baton Rouge for 7-5. 8-4 will be a whale of season. Win 9 and Leach should be national coach of the year. If Will takes the next step and starts making big plays, then we may reach 9, but that has to be proven on the field. He will set records no matter what, but big plays (and not giving up big plays) is where he has to improve to take us to the next level.

PMDawg
08-17-2022, 10:34 AM
10-2 is just not happening, but 6-6 may. Here's a schedule break down. Win all 4 non conference games. Count Bama, UGA, LSU and TAMU as losses (be nice to steal one, but we gotta count them as losses at this point). Thats's 4-4. Ark, UK, the Barn and UM will make or break our season. We can win all four and be 8-4 or lose all 4, neither will surprise me - we recruit on average with this group. Personally, I think we split those, but steal one in Baton Rouge for 7-5. 8-4 will be a whale of season. Win 9 and Leach should be national coach of the year. If Will takes the next step and starts making big plays, then we may reach 9, but that has to be proven on the field. He will set records no matter what, but big plays (and not giving up big plays) is where he has to improve to take us to the next level.

I mean, I think 7-5 is the sweet spot. I'm with you there. But I do understand the argument for more. Leach has a history that we can go by, so I'm not counting anything out yet. That's all.

99jc
08-17-2022, 11:05 AM

I guess we have the national coach of the year then! if we go 6-6 or 7-5 i will quit posting for 6 months!

viverlibre
08-17-2022, 12:31 PM
I guess we have the national coach of the year then! if we go 6-6 or 7-5 i will quit posting for 6 months!

7-5 with our record will be a good year. I wish Vandy was on the schedule rather than UGA.....

Goldendawg
08-17-2022, 11:23 PM
7-5 with our record will be a good year. I wish Vandy was on the schedule rather than UGA.....

You ok with 7-5 if we lose to OM for 3 in a row? I can live with 7-5, but OM better be in the 7. Hail State and 8-4!

parabrave
08-18-2022, 01:19 AM
You ok with 7-5 if we lose to OM for 3 in a row? I can live with 7-5, but OM better be in the 7. Hail State and 8-4!

a vet QB and RBs. A coach in his 3rd year and a killer D. Really only 2 for sure losses on the schedule and maybe 1 tossup. LSU has a new coach and new QB. Arky lost their best player and we should've beat them last year. KY we beat them last year and should again this year. TAM is a the only tossup, so 7-5 will be a disappointment. Remember we have a new and improved kicker!

TheLostDawg
08-18-2022, 01:29 AM
For LSU it was.

+

TheLostDawg
08-18-2022, 01:45 AM
https://youtu.be/PvFV7IuJ8AA

McElroy gets it too. There's something about this team.

Starts at 13 min

FISHDAWG
08-18-2022, 08:02 AM
folks are counting possibilities as wins ... I agree 10-2 isn't happening and if looked at objectively 6-6 would be the floor ... we are a 7 or 8 win team but "Hopefully" a 9 win season is not outside the realm of possibility ... not a probability but something for us as fans to cling to ... 10-2 would be a near miracle

PGHBulldogBG
08-18-2022, 08:09 AM
aTm is so hard to predict for me. They just pretty much always underachieve minus the COVID year and the Manziel year. They are much more talented than us but I will continue to pick us to beat them in Starkville unless they start beating us consistently.

TrapGame
08-18-2022, 08:39 AM
folks are counting possibilities as wins ... I agree 10-2 isn't happening and if looked at objectively 6-6 would be the floor ... we are a 7 or 8 win team but "Hopefully" a 9 win season is not outside the realm of possibility ... not a probability but something for us as fans to cling to ... 10-2 would be a near miracle

I am a sunshine guy but I do not believe we win 10 games. 8-4 w/ a decent shot at 9. If by some alignment of the stars we pull off 10 wins Leach should be COTY.

WhiskeyPirate
08-18-2022, 10:38 AM
aTm is so hard to predict for me. They just pretty much always underachieve minus the COVID year and the Manziel year. They are much more talented than us but I will continue to pick us to beat them in Starkville unless they start beating us consistently.

Aggie fans hate Leach. He has always owned tamu. I’m not sure they have ever beat him.

TrapGame
08-18-2022, 11:00 AM
Aggie fans hate Leach. He has always owned tamu. I’m not sure they have ever beat him.

I'm not sold on Jimbo being an elite coach. He sacrificed part of his season to beat Bama. That's just putting expensive makeup over the bruise. His best offense ever was captained by a crab leg stealing moron who happened to be a Heisman winning athletic freak.

Coach34
08-18-2022, 11:01 AM
Aggie fans hate Leach. He has always owned tamu. I?m not sure they have ever beat him.

Leach is 8-3 vs A&M

Coach34
08-18-2022, 11:09 AM
I'm not sold on Jimbo being an elite coach. He sacrificed part of his season to beat Bama. That's just putting expensive makeup over the bruise. His best offense ever was captained by a crab leg stealing moron who happened to be a Heisman winning athletic freak.

He's 34-14 at A&M and 21-12 in the SEC-which is 3rd best the last 4 years. 8-4 last year after losing your starting QB and beating Bama is not a bad season.

They are young but talented this year. 12 starters are Sophs or Freshmens. A veteran team like ours should be able to take advantage at home

WhiskeyPirate
08-18-2022, 11:10 AM
Leach is 8-3 vs A&M

Ok 8-3, and in everyone of those games going by the rosters I guarantee Ags have had the talent advantage if you compare rosters. He has owned them pretty good, about like he did Oregon.

And this defense blows anything he had at Tech out of the water.....not the offense necessarily but this defense is the best he’s had.

Offense is actually the question mark this year, not the defense.

TrapGame
08-18-2022, 11:14 AM
He's 34-14 at A&M and 21-12 in the SEC-which is 3rd best the last 4 years. 8-4 last year after losing your starting QB and beating Bama is not a bad season.

They are young but talented this year. 12 starters are Sophs or Freshmens. A veteran team like ours should be able to take advantage at home

Good points. We should be able to beat this A&M team at home.

It will be interesting to see if Jimbo can handle all that talent coming in.

parabrave
08-18-2022, 11:36 AM

But TAM isn't paying him that gob of money to sit home for the SEC Championship. They want 2 trophies, the SEC and the CFP.

Coach34
08-18-2022, 11:47 AM
But TAM isn't paying him that gob of money to sit home for the SEC Championship. They want 2 trophies, the SEC and the CFP.

They gonna have to wait 1 more year for that shot. Their best talent is just too young imo.

They play Miami, Mississippi, Florida, and LSU at home plus UPig in Dallas. Road games at State and SC will test them bigly.
Bama on the road is a loss. People talk about our October but look at their stretch- vs Miami, UPig, @State, and @Bammer. Then off for a week only to head to @SC the next week.

They could end up 10-2 or maybe 9-3 with a veteran team returning for 2023 that has a chance to do big things.

Maverick91
08-18-2022, 12:27 PM
Jimbo has had an average ranking of 8.5 over his six years in recruiting. Also, six years is plenty enough to not be fighting for an 8-9 win season with their recruiting and money. The conversation over there at this point should be ?reloading? but it?s not, it?s ?Jimbo is still building? I?d be pissed if I was an Aggie. It?s not like he stepped into the Cupboard being empty there was talent when he got there as well. I think he is an average coach that can recruit pretty well and at times put a nice game plan together I.E. bama last year.

Coach34
08-18-2022, 12:36 PM
Jimbo has had an average ranking of 8.5 over his six years in recruiting. Also, six years is plenty enough to not be fighting for an 8-9 win season with their recruiting and money. The conversation over there at this point should be ?reloading? but it?s not, it?s ?Jimbo is still building? I?d be pissed if I was an Aggie. It?s not like he stepped into the Cupboard being empty there was talent when he got there as well. I think he is an average coach that can recruit pretty well and at times put a nice game plan together I.E. bama last year.

This is his 5th season with them coming up and they had some roster changeover upon his arrival. Are they very talented? Sure.

Year 3 he went 9-1
Year 4 he lost his starting QB and went 8-4.
Year 5? They are going to be pretty good.

I dont think anybody would trade Bama or Georgia's roster for theirs. So that makes them at best 3rd in the SEC- which is their likely finish. But hey- keep downing Jimbo. If we fail to beat them at home with a young team that just looks bad on us.

Maverick91
08-18-2022, 03:04 PM
You are right and I don?t disagree with you on if we lose. I also have some bias on this, I never really liked the guy.

But they are paying him like he is the second Nick Saban, the start of Saban?s 5th year was the year he won his second title with bama. I?m just saying I?d be pissed and he seems to be underperforming if I was an Aggie.