PDA

View Full Version : Any info from practice?

Dawgology
08-09-2022, 08:08 PM
Anyone hearing anything? Good? Bad? Besides the yearly obligatory we are going to run it more rumors.

Pancho
08-09-2022, 08:27 PM
Tulu has stepped up his game as well as Ducking

HoopsDawg
08-09-2022, 08:28 PM
Practice reports are near worthless

Leeshouldveflanked
08-09-2022, 08:44 PM
Especially since they havent been in pads yet.

Todd4State
08-10-2022, 12:43 AM

Lessons learned from 2001.

RiverCityDawg
08-10-2022, 09:08 AM
Especially since they havent been in pads yet.

They've been in pads the last few practices.

TrapGame
08-10-2022, 09:20 AM
Per Austin Williams this fall Will is very vocal during practice. Last year he let Leach call out players for their eff ups. This fall he's been chewing on some asses. Austin says Will is very comfortable with the offense now.

huffy
08-10-2022, 09:24 AM
We are the best team on that field.

Extendedcab
08-10-2022, 09:44 AM
We are the best team on that field.

LOL, Good One!!

msstate7
08-10-2022, 11:29 AM

Payton is the next jerry rice

NCMSTFAN
08-10-2022, 11:37 AM

I agree, its usually the same thing said every year. 'So and so has stepped up and had a good off season' 'He's lost 15 pounds' 'He's gained 15 pounds of muscle' 'We still have work to do but I like the direction of the team' ...... But it's still nice to read or hear about it and gives us some sort of hope for the season.

Johnson85
08-10-2022, 11:47 AM
Lessons learned from 2001.

I heard you couldn't catch RaRa in a phone booth. Or maybe they were still talking about Ray Ray?

Coach34
08-10-2022, 11:50 AM
Rosebowl said that Leach told one of the defensive players that water sux, Gatorade is better

somebodyshotmypaw
08-10-2022, 12:34 PM
Practices reports are not bad, or necessarily inaccurate. You just have to keep perspective.

If they tell you a guy beat his man and made a great catch, people get too excited and then feel let down when the guy does nothing in the fall. That same receiver may be a poor blocker, and consistently runs the wrong routes. And the great catch was made while going against the 3rd string corner. And he had two drops earlier in practice. But realistically the catch was legit and he's a freshman and is working hard and developing and will be pretty good in 2 years.

I think the practice reports are great. I think message board posters tend to jump to conclusions or lose perspective.

Goldendawg
08-10-2022, 03:19 PM
Free Tuesday Practice Flash Report and Free Boneyard article from Steve just posted on Genes Page 76 minutes ago. Note: We are now undefeated for the 22 season and will remain so until someone scores more points in a game than us!***** Hail State!

TaleofTwoDogs
08-10-2022, 04:02 PM
Free Tuesday Practice Flash Report just posted on Genes Page 76 minutes ago. Note: We are now undefeated for the 22 season and will remain so until someone scores more points in a game than us!***** Hail State!

Or until the refs get an opportunity to assemble on the field.

TheLostDawg
08-10-2022, 05:55 PM
Per Austin Williams this fall Will is very vocal during practice. Last year he let Leach call out players for their eff ups. This fall he's been chewing on some asses. Austin says Will is very comfortable with the offense now.

Our next GA/ future wr coach. I don't think he ever leaves

Lord McBuckethead
08-10-2022, 06:57 PM
Tulu has stepped up his game as well as Ducking

I hope Ducking realizes that he has the tools to be awesome. Cause his size has opportunity written all over it. He needs to play even bigger.

Coach34
08-10-2022, 07:21 PM
Our next GA/ future wr coach. I don't think he ever leaves

Derrick Taite is the only player to play at State longer than Williams. His 8 years at QB seemed like a lifetime

TheLostDawg
08-10-2022, 07:29 PM
Derrick Taite is the only player to play at State longer than Williams. His 8 years at QB seemed like a lifetime

Rip Mississippi fire dogs

FISHDAWG
08-11-2022, 09:03 AM
Practices reports are not bad, or necessarily inaccurate. You just have to keep perspective.

I think the practice reports are great. I think message board posters tend to jump to conclusions or lose perspective.

You mean like when our place kickers never miss in practice then rarely make during the game when it counts ? ... sorry, I just couldn't resist the cynicism but I do enjoy what practice reports we get

ShotgunDawg
08-11-2022, 07:02 PM
Practice reports would be helpful if people properly reported on it. You do that by comparing players to other players.

Examples:

This is bad - Zavion made a diving catch for a TD and looks great. Fans will get super excited about this and lose perspective.

This is good - Zavion made a diving catch while showing a first step burst that is a hair slower than Tulu's but he's 20 lbs heavier & runs with more physicality.

Since Tulu is a known quantity by our fans, phrasing the report by comparing Zavion to a known players, helps fans get a nice perspective of what Zavion may be.

You can literally do this with every player on the field

somebodyshotmypaw
08-11-2022, 08:23 PM
You mean like when our place kickers never miss in practice then rarely make during the game when it counts ? ... sorry, I just couldn't resist the cynicism but I do enjoy what practice reports we get

That’s actually a very good example. If our kickers are truly accurate in practice, then there is nothing wrong with reporting it. But perspective is understanding that while that’s promising, it’s only practice and there is no guarantee that they will perform that well in front of big crowds on Saturday, when you could be on the road, weather could be bad, etc. Practice is a controlled environment.

Goldendawg
08-11-2022, 11:39 PM
That’s actually a very good example. If our kickers are truly accurate in practice, then there is nothing wrong with reporting it. But perspective is understanding that while that’s promising, it’s only practice and there is no guarantee that they will perform that well in front of big crowds on Saturday, when you could be on the road, weather could be bad, etc. Practice is a controlled environment.

So, so if WR burns our DB in practice is WR getting better or DB is a problem area or vice versa?***** Most every team thinks they are improved in fall camp with great expectations and goals for the season. Only a few really know and the others will find out when the games begin. That said, I think we will be very good, here in my recliner at 11:36 PM reading everything I can find about our team. Retired past May and son is Sr at State. Will be spending more time with him and hope there are a couple of open practices I can attend! Hail State!

Leroy Jenkins
08-12-2022, 07:04 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/3oEjI105rmEC22CJFK/giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952b31685e3987d40ca376b69bdfc6 a8de99bea15bd&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

Hot Rock
08-12-2022, 07:44 AM
Position battles are interesting to me.

If Dollar Bill is our LT then what? I think he has the physical skills but can he do it without a ton of penalties.

Reese moving to Guard, is this just cross training or are we experimenting to find the best combination of OL?

We will all find out for sure by the start of the season and will know if they end up being any good a few games into the season but these tidbits are interesting to me.

Maroonthirteen
08-12-2022, 09:28 AM
I think State is trying to find the best combination of guys for OL. Sounds like Jones benefits State most at RT and Lewis isn't ready. No knock on Lewis, juco to sec is an adjustment.

RT: C Jones / Lewis
RG: Reese
C. Sharp
LG: N Jones / Smith
LT: Dollar Bill

Johnson85
08-12-2022, 09:44 AM
Position battles are interesting to me.

If Dollar Bill is our LT then what? I think he has the physical skills but can he do it without a ton of penalties.

Reese moving to Guard, is this just cross training or are we experimenting to find the best combination of OL?

We will all find out for sure by the start of the season and will know if they end up being any good a few games into the season but these tidbits are interesting to me.

If Dolla Bill is our LT then I think that means we 17ed. Not running down our players, but he's an older player. If he was ready to play LT this year he would have been our starting RT this year. We pretty much needed Reese to emerge as a good OT on one side or the other. He was the only player young enough taht it was feasible for him to not be good enough to start at RT last year but made a big enough jump to be solid to good at RT or serviceable at LT.

TrapGame
08-12-2022, 09:51 AM
If Dolla Bill is our LT then I think that means we 17ed. Not running down our players, but he's an older player. If he was ready to play LT this year he would have been our starting RT this year. We pretty much needed Reese to emerge as a good OT on one side or the other. He was the only player young enough taht it was feasible for him to not be good enough to start at RT last year but made a big enough jump to be solid to good at RT or serviceable at LT.

We'll see about that. Dolla has put a shit ton of work in during the off season. He changed his diet, his workouts and got help from a professional OL consultant for his technique. He did that all himself.

Coach34
08-12-2022, 09:51 AM
I think State is trying to find the best combination of guys for OL. Sounds like Jones benefits State most at RT and Lewis isn't ready. No knock on Lewis, juco to sec is an adjustment.

RT: C Jones / Lewis
RG: Reese
C. Sharp
LG: N Jones / Smith
LT: Dollar Bill

I was told our starting 5 is set upfront and there is no position battle. We have a clear top 5

Johnson85
08-12-2022, 10:04 AM
We'll see about that. Dolla has put a shit ton of work in during the off season. He changed his diet, his workouts and got help from a professional OL consultant for his technique. He did that all himself.

That would be awesome if he proves me wrong.

Johnson85
08-12-2022, 10:05 AM
I was told our starting 5 is set upfront and there is no position battle. We have a clear top 5

Any info on who that starting 5 is? Sharp will obviously be center. What's everything else?

Cowbell
08-12-2022, 10:35 AM

How good is that top 5 especially tackles?

Coach34
08-12-2022, 11:05 AM
Any info on who that starting 5 is? Sharp will obviously be center. What's everything else?

I didnt get alot of info- just said he was told the starting OL is set and its clear cut. Dolla Bill is the LT.

As a coach- that tells me our 6-8 guys needs reps and playing time for experience because they have got to develop and get better.

Cowbell
08-12-2022, 11:11 AM
I didnt get alot of info- just said he was told the starting OL is set and its clear cut. Dolla Bill is the LT.

As a coach- that tells me our 6-8 guys needs reps and playing time for experience because they have got to develop and get better.

Yeah I would rather see us still have 2 guys that are pushing for a staring role

Jarius
08-12-2022, 12:50 PM
Yeah I would rather see us still have 2 guys that are pushing for a staring role

Percy is way behind Dolla. From what's being reported, Dolla is holding his own but there will obviously be a noticeable drop from he and Cross. The rest of the OL looks better than a year ago.

TrapGame
08-12-2022, 01:05 PM
Percy is way behind Dolla. From what's being reported, Dolla is holding his own but there will obviously be a noticeable drop from he and Cross. The rest of the OL looks better than a year ago.

Yeah, Dolla ain't Charles Cross but he's not getting pushed around a lot either.

Maroonthirteen
08-12-2022, 01:32 PM

Yeah Steve said Lewis and Reese will get much better soon with reps. So I'd say your intuition is correct.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-12-2022, 01:32 PM
Yeah, Dolla ain't Charles Cross but he's not getting pushed around a lot either.

Both Dolla Bill and Percy Lewis are bigger than Cross and won't get pushed around. But Cross was consistent, athletic, and had good feet. The issue with Dolla Bill will be how he handles the quicker and more athletic pass rushers. Will Anderson at Bama is only listed at 243 pounds. Pass rushers won't throw Dolla Bill around, but that doesn't mean they can't beat him. That's why he has consistently been pushed to LOSE weight and work on quickness, footwork, hand placement, balance, etc.

TrapGame
08-12-2022, 01:51 PM
Both Dolla Bill and Percy Lewis are bigger than Cross and won't get pushed around. But Cross was consistent, athletic, and had good feet. The issue with Dolla Bill will be how he handles the quicker and more athletic pass rushers. Will Anderson at Bama is only listed at 243 pounds. Pass rushers won't throw Dolla Bill around, but that doesn't mean they can't beat him. That's why he has consistently been pushed to LOSE weight and work on quickness, footwork, hand placement, balance, etc.

And that work he's put in to achieve that is going to pay off big time.

QuadrupleOption
08-12-2022, 02:32 PM

I'm not as worried about that. He can still be pretty good and not be at Cross' level. Not many OL are.

TrapGame
08-12-2022, 02:36 PM
I'm not as worried about that. He can still be pretty good and not be at Cross' level. Not many OL are.

Exactly. Leach has always had pretty good OLs. He puts lot of emphasis on the OL position.

Johnson85
08-12-2022, 02:40 PM

Not worrired about DOlla getting pushed around. Just worried about people going around him. I thought he was on the interior precisely because he was not quick enough to handle OT.

TrapGame
08-12-2022, 02:44 PM
Not worrired about DOlla getting pushed around. Just worried about people going around him. I thought he was on the interior precisely because he was not quick enough to handle OT.

Evidently he's improved and it shows.

confucius say
08-12-2022, 03:03 PM
Either he has made the biggest one year jump we've seen from an OL in a while, or we are going to really struggle at LT.

Johnson85
08-12-2022, 03:17 PM

Did the person telling you this gush about how much better Dolla Bill has gotten?

Coach34
08-12-2022, 09:26 PM
Did the person telling you this gush about how much better Dolla Bill has gotten?

Said they are seeing definite improvement but are still in "wait and see" mode. Part of the deal is that we are also worried about our pass rush from our front without having to bring to extra pressure. We do a good job of bringing pressure with extra people- but our front getting pressure without is suspect.

Bottom line- Dolla Bill is our guy. He worked hard and made improvement to be the guy. We shall see if he can handle it. He wont be Cross. Thats an unrealistic expectation. But we need him to be a solid LT. We'll see how much he has improved. It's a big factor for us in 2022

Cowbell
08-12-2022, 09:53 PM
I'm ready to see Jordan Davis healthy

basedog
08-12-2022, 09:55 PM
Said they are seeing definite improvement but are still in "wait and see" mode. Part of the deal is that we are also worried about our pass rush from our front without having to bring to extra pressure. We do a good job of bringing pressure with extra people- but our front getting pressure without is suspect.

Bottom line- Dolla Bill is our guy. He worked hard and made improvement to be the guy. We shall see if he can handle it. He wont be Cross. Thats an unrealistic expectation. But we need him to be a solid LT. We'll see how much he has improved. It's a big factor for us in 2022

My biggest question about this team is the depth for our O-Line. Very questionable.

Dawgfan77
08-13-2022, 06:23 AM
Dolla has been the most impressive OL at camp. From consistency to completely changed his body. Looks like an NFL guy.
Kam is gonna play RT and big Albert sliding to RG. Kam is just a good Olinemen.
I am Actually hearing that our pass rush has been improved, one thing is certain not many teams are gonna be able to run the ball on our front.
Again look forward us to be more comfortable running the ball this year

ShotgunDawg
08-13-2022, 10:45 AM
Dolla has been the most impressive OL at camp. From consistency to completely changed his body. Looks like an NFL guy.
Kam is gonna play RT and big Albert sliding to RG. Kam is just a good Olinemen.
I am Actually hearing that our pass rush has been improved, one thing is certain not many teams are gonna be able to run the ball on our front.
Again look forward us to be more comfortable running the ball this year

Just having Jordan Davis back should help our pass rush immensely

CaptainObvious
08-13-2022, 11:14 AM
Either he has made the biggest one year jump we've seen from an OL in a while, or we are going to really struggle at LT.

We had a great LT last year and we still threw mostly 4-8 yard passes. Seems like Will should still have time for those even with a lesser talented LT. 😎

FISHDAWG
08-15-2022, 08:08 AM

I remember giving up on Blaine Clausell but he eventually turned into a fairly decent tackle ... hold onto hope Dawg

Liverpooldawg
08-15-2022, 08:59 AM

Getting pushed around doesn't worry me. What worries me is not getting left in the dust by somebody on their way to the QB.

TrapGame
08-15-2022, 09:44 AM
Getting pushed around doesn't worry me. What worries me is not getting left in the dust by somebody on their way to the QB.

That's why he's trimmed up and got an OL consultant in the off season. As long as we have an average LT we'll be okay.

Johnson85
08-15-2022, 09:55 AM
I remember giving up on Blaine Clausell but he eventually turned into a fairly decent tackle ... hold onto hope Dawg

Yea, but Blaine showed pretty steady improvement each year and was pretty good by the time he was a RS Jr. If he hadn't had to play to early, people would have never thought of him as anything but a solid OT. Granted Dolla Bill wasn't bad as a guard last year, just seems like a big jump to go to LT. Maybe not as big of a jump for Leach's system than for most others.

dawgman15
08-15-2022, 10:06 AM
Wasn't Dolla Bill a high 4* recruit coming out of highschool? If so why would it be so hard for him to mature into what he was projected as

Johnson85
08-15-2022, 11:18 AM
Wasn't Dolla Bill a high 4* recruit coming out of highschool? If so why would it be so hard for him to mature into what he was projected as

It's just late in the game for him to make a big jump. Usually, you see OL make a big jump after their first or second year on campus (and less often after three years) depending on what kind of shape they are in when they get here. Especially with some of the projects we take, it takes a couple or even three years on a college level S&C program along with better nutrition to either put on muscle if they are thin, or drop fat if they are overweight. (Dolla Bill came in needing to replace fat with muscle if I remember correctly.). But usually, if somebody has been on campus for four years, they don't make a big jump after that fourth year.

I'm also pessimistic because we had trouble at RT last year. If Dollar Bill was close to being able to be an SEC LT, you'd think that sometime after the 17th false start by Lashley in the first three games they would have tried something else at RT if we had anybody close to being serviceable. That's why I was hoping Reese would be a starting OT, because he was young enough that it was feasible he would be too bad to unseat Lashley last year but make a big enough jump in the off season to still be decent.

That said, if Dolla Bill's main problem was that he wasn't committed to conditioning the way he needed to be and that kept him from being quick enough to play OT, then it is possible that he matured late and made the commitment to get in better shape. But it's still not the norm to see that type of change coming after a RS JR year.

Jarius
08-15-2022, 12:15 PM
It's just late in the game for him to make a big jump. Usually, you see OL make a big jump after their first or second year on campus (and less often after three years) depending on what kind of shape they are in when they get here. Especially with some of the projects we take, it takes a couple or even three years on a college level S&C program along with better nutrition to either put on muscle if they are thin, or drop fat if they are overweight. (Dolla Bill came in needing to replace fat with muscle if I remember correctly.). But usually, if somebody has been on campus for four years, they don't make a big jump after that fourth year.

I'm also pessimistic because we had trouble at RT last year. If Dollar Bill was close to being able to be an SEC LT, you'd think that sometime after the 17th false start by Lashley in the first three games they would have tried something else at RT if we had anybody close to being serviceable. That's why I was hoping Reese would be a starting OT, because he was young enough that it was feasible he would be too bad to unseat Lashley last year but make a big enough jump in the off season to still be decent.

That said, if Dolla Bill's main problem was that he wasn't committed to conditioning the way he needed to be and that kept him from being quick enough to play OT, then it is possible that he matured late and made the commitment to get in better shape. But it's still not the norm to see that type of change coming after a RS JR year.

Dolla did fine in the first scrimmage. He will be a decent LT.

Goldendawg
08-15-2022, 12:22 PM
Dolla did fine in the first scrimmage. He will be a decent LT.

"Decent" won't get it in our pass happy offense against fast SEC DE's. They will tee off with little respect for the run. Decent will mean an increased sack count and QB hurries. We kick off soon and time will. Hail State!

Jarius
08-15-2022, 12:44 PM
"Decent" won't get it in our pass happy offense against fast SEC DE's. They will tee off with little respect for the run. Decent will mean an increased sack count and QB hurries. We kick off soon and time will. Hail State!

He's not going to be a problem on the OL.

basedog
08-15-2022, 12:47 PM

Why the Pirate doesn't have a fullback and even a TE for certain situations is crazy IMO. It would at least make the defensive staff for our opponents have to spend a "minute or two" for preparing.
But too each their own! I sure hope 7 wins and anything above is gravy!

TrapGame
08-15-2022, 12:53 PM

So we gotta have a first rounder as a LT every season?

C'mon, guys.

Cowbell
08-15-2022, 01:32 PM
Why the Pirate doesn't have a fullback and even a TE for certain situations is crazy IMO. It would at least make the defensive staff for our opponents have to spend a "minute or two" for preparing.
But too each their own! I sure hope 7 wins and anything above is gravy!

This is where I'm at. It's why any Tackle in this system that doesn't look bad is gonna be drafted high. They are on an island every single down. It's a handicap of the upmost proportions.

Johnson85
08-15-2022, 01:54 PM

C'mon, guys.
Definitely don't have to have a first rounder but I think any time our LT isn't at least on the NFL's radar, we are going to struggle. Just too many NFL quality DE's in the SEC that we're going to see a couple each year.

In 2021, we played 3 that got drafted in the 2022 draft (UK and Ole Miss each had a 2nd round DE, and then A&M had one in the 4th) and Will Anderson Jr. is getting hyped as a top ten draft pick in 2023 (although I guess he's technically a LB) and BJ Ojulari is a projected first rounder for 2023 and Derick Hall a projected 2nd rounder. Not sure if that's an outlier, but I suspect we're always going to play at least one or two teams with a game changer at DE. If those game changes are at Bama or UGA, it may not make a difference, but it could definitely swing an otherwise winnable game like at Ole Miss last year.

basedog
08-15-2022, 02:09 PM
This is where I'm at. It's why any Tackle in this system that doesn't look bad is gonna be drafted high. They are on an island every single down. It's a handicap of the upmost proportions.

The Air Raid isn't built for the short yardage needed say 3rd and 4th down. It can be argued his Air Raid in the Red Zone playing in the Big 12 and Pac 12 was good (I have no idea). But the defenses in the Sec can be brutal to say the least. Good Coaches adjust and put wrinkles in, haven't seen this in the Air Raid. But I'm hopefully because many say we have the talent to win 9 games on ED anyway.
I don't dislike the Pirate, I just wish we would run the ball a little more and use a damn TE and fullback some!

MrCoachKlein
08-15-2022, 03:12 PM
Definitely don't have to have a first rounder but I think any time our LT isn't at least on the NFL's radar, we are going to struggle. Just too many NFL quality DE's in the SEC that we're going to see a couple each year.

In 2021, we played 3 that got drafted in the 2022 draft (UK and Ole Miss each had a 2nd round DE, and then A&M had one in the 4th) and Will Anderson Jr. is getting hyped as a top ten draft pick in 2023 (although I guess he's technically a LB) and BJ Ojulari is a projected first rounder for 2023 and Derick Hall a projected 2nd rounder. Not sure if that's an outlier, but I suspect we're always going to play at least one or two teams with a game changer at DE. If those game changes are at Bama or UGA, it may not make a difference, but it could definitely swing an otherwise winnable game like at Ole Miss last year.

Give me 2 decent tackles over 1 top 10 pick and one turnstyle. Rebearsharks and Bama just had their best DE kill Lashley all game. I don't think Sam Williams went against Cross once in the battle for the golden egg. Will Anderson may have for a handful of snaps.

BrunswickDawg
08-15-2022, 03:27 PM

I think you have to factor in that he spent his first 2 years in the JoMo Lack of Accountability Club.

Johnson85
08-15-2022, 03:36 PM
I think you have to factor in that he spent his first 2 years in the JoMo Lack of Accountability Club.

That's definitely a solid point. Boobie was in much better shape his last year because of getting in a competent S&C program. Wasn't really a maturity issue with him I don't think as much as just not knowing that him doing what was asked of him was insufficient.

Still feel like we should have seen a bigger difference last year after having 2020 with a real S&C program, but maybe 2020 screwed up their ability to really change the culture around S&C until spring 2021.

TrapGame
08-15-2022, 03:43 PM
That's definitely a solid point. Boobie was in much better shape his last year because of getting in a competent S&C program. Wasn't really a maturity issue with him I don't think as much as just not knowing that him doing what was asked of him was insufficient.

Still feel like we should have seen a bigger difference last year after having 2020 with a real S&C program, but maybe 2020 screwed up their ability to really change the culture around S&C until spring 2021.

COVID screwed all of that up. Some of that shit was via Zoom.

deltadawg63
08-15-2022, 04:16 PM
Not defending this Leach or this offensive scheme but I recall Leach using more 2 split back sets later in the season. Hopefully, we will see more of that if certain OTs are struggling against good DEs...getting help from Johnson in the backfield.

Cowbell
08-15-2022, 06:02 PM
The Air Raid isn't built for the short yardage needed say 3rd and 4th down. It can be argued his Air Raid in the Red Zone playing in the Big 12 and Pac 12 was good (I have no idea). But the defenses in the Sec can be brutal to say the least. Good Coaches adjust and put wrinkles in, haven't seen this in the Air Raid. But I'm hopefully because many say we have the talent to win 9 games on ED anyway.
I don't dislike the Pirate, I just wish we would run the ball a little more and use a damn TE and fullback some!

A top 10 tight end in this offense would make it deadly

WhiskeyPirate
08-15-2022, 06:20 PM
Leach did use a tight end one year at Tech, Bristol Olomua a 6-5 Samoan and he was pretty effective.

He likes to tinker, I wouldn’t be surprised if adds some wrinkles this year.

HoopsDawg
08-15-2022, 06:37 PM
Leach did use a tight end one year at Tech, Bristol Olomua a 6-5 Samoan and he was pretty effective.

He likes to tinker, I wouldn’t be surprised if adds some wrinkles this year.

he cut all of our TE's soon after arriving.

BuckyIsAB****
08-15-2022, 06:56 PM
Davis Wheat and Charlton are the best pass rushers with the most experience. They will get there. We are gonna bring the funk anyway so its not like it matters. Just our philosophy

WhiskeyPirate
08-15-2022, 07:22 PM
he cut all of our TE's soon after arriving.

So what

His offense doesn’t use a tight end.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-16-2022, 12:51 AM

C'mon, guys.

No, but an All-SEC type is mandatory in the SEC West for success.

Maroonthirteen
08-16-2022, 10:33 AM
Leach uses some 20 personnel but it is never for the purpose of blocking. The backs always have a route to run. Doesn't matter if the other team has Lawrence Taylor... it's on the OT to block him.

Maroonthirteen
08-16-2022, 11:20 AM
It's so funny. Bounds is making jokes about how State never made big plays in the past. However he discusses if State will make big plays this year. He called M Polk a possession receiver.

THIS IS NOT A BIG PLAY OFFENSE. It is a dink and dunk possession offense. So your wr will Always be what M Polk was. Only way you get a big yardage play, is if a WR breaks tackles and out runs people.

basedog
08-16-2022, 01:23 PM
It's so funny. Bounds is making jokes about how State never made big plays in the past. However he discusses if State will make big plays this year. He called M Polk a possession receiver.

THIS IS NOT A BIG PLAY OFFENSE. It is a dink and dunk possession offense. So your wr will Always be what M Polk was. Only way you get a big yardage play, is if a WR breaks tackles and out runs people.

Yelp.

WhiskeyPirate
08-16-2022, 01:51 PM

Yea the air raid has never produced any big plays

Great research

RezDog7
08-16-2022, 03:26 PM

You could have stopped at "Bo Bounds is a douche"

thf24
08-16-2022, 03:32 PM

I don't think there's enough evidence to claim that definitively. It may have effectively been such in his time here so far under the circumstances, but in eight years at WSU, his teams ranked in the top 25 for plays of 20+ yards three times, and only missed the top half twice.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category30/sort02.html

You can say what you want about their defensive competition, but that's still a lot of big plays for a "dink and dunk" offense who was usually the less talented team on the field.

Maroonthirteen
08-16-2022, 05:28 PM
Yea the air raid has never produced any big plays

Great research

In 2018, in Leachs best year at WSU, Mississippi State had more plays for 20+ Yards.

Catfish
08-16-2022, 05:29 PM
I don't think there's enough evidence to claim that definitively. It may have effectively been such in his time here so far under the circumstances, but in eight years at WSU, his teams ranked in the top 25 for plays of 20+ yards three times, and only missed the top half twice.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category30/sort02.html

You can say what you want about their defensive competition, but that's still a lot of big plays for a "dink and dunk" offense who was usually the less talented team on the field.

Agree, good post.

WhiskeyPirate
08-16-2022, 05:35 PM
In 2018, in Leachs best year at WSU, Mississippi State had more plays for 20+ Yards.

Ridiculous. Just look it up. Majority of Leachs years at tech the offense avg around 500 yards per game and top ten in ppg. Leachs last year at WSU they were 11th nationally in ppg and avg 500 yards of offense a game.

Todd4State
08-16-2022, 06:32 PM
You could have stopped at "Bo Bounds is a douche"

Bo Bounds is proof that you don't have to be smart to have a sports talk radio show.

Maroonthirteen
08-16-2022, 07:35 PM
Ridiculous. Just look it up. Majority of Leachs years at tech the offense avg around 500 yards per game and top ten in ppg. Leachs last year at WSU they were 11th nationally in ppg and avg 500 yards of offense a game.

"Goal post moved". Yes. This offense puts up a lot of yards. And if you are good enough to finish in the red zone, points too. But this offense moves the ball by throwing underneath 50 times a game.

Therefore the point is, this offense doesn't have big yardage plays because of the scheme, not necessarily the wr talent.

Coach34
08-16-2022, 08:00 PM

With a skittish QB and below average WR's

Coach34
08-16-2022, 08:01 PM

Where were they in Scoring? Yards never win games

MrCoachKlein
08-16-2022, 08:29 PM
COVID RESPONSE screwed all of that up.

FTFY

R2Dawg
08-16-2022, 08:46 PM

Uh, big plays and total offense and ppg are totally different catagories - apples and oranges. His O is a dink and dunk O. Our two RB had what like 160 catches last year? That is dink and dunk.

Some may take that as an insult but not necessarily. if it produces points, who cares. His O is what it is.

SmokeyDawg
08-16-2022, 08:48 PM
20+ yard plays doesn't translate into 20+ yard passes. Most of the long plays are created by yards after catch and that reflects the type of receivers we recruit.

TrapGame
08-16-2022, 08:54 PM
Uh, big plays and total offense and ppg are totally different catagories - apples and oranges. His O is a dink and dunk O. Our two RB had what like 160 catches last year? That is dink and dunk.

Some may take that as an insult but not necessarily. if it produces points, who cares. His O is what it is.

I agree. It is a dink and dunk with the possibility of hitting a big play if you catch the defense out of position. But, those dink and dunk elements puts a strain on most defenses. UK/AU/NC State defenses were sucking wind in the 4th quarter last season.

QuadrupleOption
08-16-2022, 09:15 PM

People have said the same things about this offense not working against defensive players at every stop he's made - Valdosta, Kentucky, Oklahoma, TT, WSU, and now MSU. What seems more insane - running it up the gut against a Bama defense, or making those defensive guys defend every inch of the field sideline to sideline on every play?

Mullen's offense didn't do shit against Bama for 12 years. At least with Leach we aren't losing anything there, and we've already knocked off like 6 ranked opponents in two years (ranked at the time we played them anyway). If he can get the Memphis-type games out of his system we'll be just fine.

WhiskeyPirate
08-16-2022, 09:56 PM
Where were they in Scoring? Yards never win games

Ppg = points per game

Johnson85
08-17-2022, 08:38 AM
I agree. It is a dink and dunk with the possibility of hitting a big play if you catch the defense out of position. But, those dink and dunk elements puts a strain on most defenses. UK/AU/NC State defenses were sucking wind in the 4th quarter last season.

I would say it's not dink and dunk; it's take what the defense gives. Most defenses have decided the way to beat it is to give up the underneath routes and force the offense to make lots of completions. But if a team decides to get aggressive and blitz and man up, it will flip and be a big play offense.

TrapGame
08-17-2022, 08:58 AM
I would say it's not dink and dunk; it's take what the defense gives. Most defenses have decided the way to beat it is to give up the underneath routes and force the offense to make lots of completions. But if a team decides to get aggressive and blitz and man up, it will flip and be a big play offense.

The dink and dunk aspect of the system is exactly b/c of what defenses give you. Then DCs get antsy and dial up pressure or go man. Will has the short game down pat.

Maroonthirteen
08-17-2022, 09:54 AM
I would say it's not dink and dunk; it's take what the defense gives. Most defenses have decided the way to beat it is to give up the underneath routes and force the offense to make lots of completions..

Now that is a fair and good argument, Counselor.

But back to practice reports.....

It looked like Texas Tech took away the swing pass to the RB and zoned. Plus rushed a 4th guy on 3rd down, into the middle of the line and got home more than a few times. Hopefully we have worked on a counter to that defensive strategy the summer/camp.

Liverpooldawg
08-17-2022, 10:11 AM
Bottom line, it's a dink and dunk offense, it always has been and always will be. That isn't a bad thing if it can finish in the red zone and win games. The jury is still VERY much out here on that. It's an EXTREMELY boring offense to watch, to me anyway. It's like paint drying, except worse.

More bottom line, he almost HAS to beat Ole Miss this year, and his track record with rivals is just terrible. Losing three straight times to them to open your account at MSU is not really survivable. He might hang on another year or so after it, but it will look and feel like the end of the Sherrill era or the JOMO era.

TrapGame
08-17-2022, 10:15 AM
Bottom line, it's a dink and dunk offense, it always has been and always will be. That isn't a bad thing if it can finish in the red zone and win games. The jury is still VERY much out here on that. It's an EXTREMELY boring offense to watch, to me anyway. It's like paint drying, except worse.

More bottom line, he almost HAS to beat Ole Miss this year, and his track record with rivals is just terrible. Losing three straight times to them to open your account at MSU is not really survivable. He might hang on another year or so after it, but it will look and feel like the end of the Sherrill era or the JOMO era.

Do you want 3 yards and a cloud of dust or Holloway's buck o five ass up the middle? I don't get the "It's boring." take at all.

PMDawg
08-17-2022, 10:29 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the Air Raid, but I'll interject here. It's no different than any other offense. When it's working, it's very exciting to watch. When it's not, it's boring.

Johnson85
08-17-2022, 11:56 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the Air Raid, but I'll interject here. It's no different than any other offense. When it's working, it's very exciting to watch. When it's not, it's boring.

I think the 3 yards and a cloud of dust type offenses are boring, even when they are working. But very rarely are 3 yds and a cloud of dust offenses working; if they are not breaking off 6 and 10 yard runs, they are going to get behind the chains at some point and fail. Not too different from trying to run the air raid consistently throwing swing passes to the RB for short yardage.

But agree with you. Not sure I've ever really watched an offense that was working and thought it was boring. I think watching an option offense when it's really working is fun, even if they are running the same three plays.

Dawgfan77
08-17-2022, 12:07 PM
Their are just some posters on here that will be overly negative about leach and they let that sway the thinking. Comments like, boring offense. Dink and dunk, and the whole 6-6 zero hopers out here. The guy has won everywhere and we were in position to win more than 7 games last year. Some are just letting one game from last year dictate this year

Coach34
08-17-2022, 12:13 PM
Do you want 3 yards and a cloud of dust or Holloway's buck o five ass up the middle? I don't get the "It's boring." take at all.

Throwing 175 passes to the RB's is the modern version of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. This offense makes the Wing-T seem exciting.

Catfish
08-17-2022, 12:13 PM
Their are just some posters on here that will be overly negative about leach and they let that sway the thinking. Comments like, boring offense. Dink and dunk, and the whole 6-6 zero hopers out here. The guy has won everywhere and we were in position to win more than 7 games last year. Some are just letting one game from last year dictate this year

Good post. Agree.

Liverpooldawg
08-17-2022, 12:56 PM

It IS three yards and a cloud of dust. It's almost exactly the same thing. It's just plain boring.

Liverpooldawg
08-17-2022, 12:57 PM
Throwing 175 passes to the RB's is the modern version of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. This offense makes the Wing-T seem exciting.

EXACTLY.

PCHSDawg
08-17-2022, 12:57 PM
Almost as boring as checking a practice thread to see the same old discussion that's been done to death.

Liverpooldawg
08-17-2022, 01:00 PM

Everybody wants more than 6-6. That doesn't mean we will get it. The offense IS boring. It's just like running it up the middle every play.

TrapGame
08-17-2022, 01:05 PM

Except when those RBs break a tackle and go for 15 yards.

The Boring Crowd just doesn't like the Air Raid. To each his own.

TrapGame
08-17-2022, 01:09 PM

If we have a really good season they'll disappear like they did in the Auburn game thread last season. It was like The Rapture came b/c half the posters vanished in the second half.

PCHSDawg
08-17-2022, 01:10 PM
Saying the offense is boring...is boring.

confucius say
08-17-2022, 01:21 PM

Exactly. LSU 2020 and auburn 2021 were not boring.
KY and vandy and Aggie and ark last year too. Uga 2020. Those games weren't boring.

When people try to press us and play man, we stretch the field. When they drop 8, we work underneath, and will work the 8-12 yard area more now that we have a qb who will be more physically developed.

Homedawg
08-17-2022, 01:36 PM
Almost as boring as checking a practice thread to see the same old discussion that's been done to death.

Better than ten pages of nothing about the uniforms......so there's the bright side

PCHSDawg
08-17-2022, 01:48 PM
Better than ten pages of nothing about the uniforms......so there's the bright side

You got a point there, at least it was a thread started about the uniforms.

Kylesandi338
08-17-2022, 01:50 PM
If MSU runs the ball, fans want them to throw it. If they throw the ball, fans want them to run it. Never ending complaining by some. I would rather lose throwing the ball and having a chance for a comeback, than run the hell out of the ball and get down by 2 touchdowns and have zero chance to come back for a win. If the offense is played up to our ability, it will not be stopped. I believe we could be more balanced but I think Leach has us on the right path to success and this team and his coaching will surprise a lot of folks this year. I believe Leach is going to adapt his coaching style and we are in for a good year!

Liverpooldawg
08-17-2022, 01:51 PM
Except when those RBs break a tackle and go for 15 yards.

The Boring Crowd just doesn't like the Air Raid. To each his own.

That happens running it up the middle too.

RezDog7
08-17-2022, 01:53 PM

Yeah, all those corner routes to Polk last year that resulted in touchdowns were stupid boring. Not long ago we couldn't even complete a forward pass.

TrapGame
08-17-2022, 01:55 PM
KY and vandy and Aggie and ark last year too. Uga 2020. Those games weren't boring.

When people try to press us and play man, we stretch the field. When they drop 8, we work underneath, and will work the 8-12 yard area more now that we have a qb who will be more physically developed.

YES.

If anybody thinks those games were boring they just are being sour b/c we aren't running Dan's offense anymore. Will Rogers will cut you up underneath until you are forced to man up and send somebody.

RezDog7
08-17-2022, 01:56 PM

I remember Rogers taking us down the field in 20 seconds to put us in position to tie the game at Arkansas last year (I was there). That damn sure wasn't boring.

TrapGame
08-17-2022, 01:57 PM
That happens running it up the middle too.

Not with Holloway.**

RezDog7
08-17-2022, 01:58 PM
Not with Holloway.**

Unfortunately some of these posters will always have sore ***** about Leach.

Catfish
08-17-2022, 02:15 PM
Unfortunately some of these posters will always have sore ***** about Leach.

Rep!!

confucius say
08-17-2022, 02:53 PM
I remember Rogers taking us down the field in 20 seconds to put us in position to tie the game at Arkansas last year (I was there). That damn sure wasn't boring.

Agreed. Neither was scoring 6 unanswered TD on the road at auburn after being down 28-3. Not boring at all.

Mjoelner34
08-17-2022, 04:33 PM
... I would rather lose throwing the ball and having a chance for a comeback, than run the hell out of the ball and get down by 2 touchdowns and have zero chance to come back for a win. ....

^^^THIS!^^^

BuckyIsAB****
08-17-2022, 07:27 PM

Come on dude

Tater
08-17-2022, 08:15 PM

You're literally the embodiment of that dril tweet: "go ahead. keep screaming "Shut the **** up" at me. it only makes my opinions worse."

Todd4State
08-17-2022, 11:38 PM
I think the 3 yards and a cloud of dust type offenses are boring, even when they are working. But very rarely are 3 yds and a cloud of dust offenses working; if they are not breaking off 6 and 10 yard runs, they are going to get behind the chains at some point and fail. Not too different from trying to run the air raid consistently throwing swing passes to the RB for short yardage.

But agree with you. Not sure I've ever really watched an offense that was working and thought it was boring. I think watching an option offense when it's really working is fun, even if they are running the same three plays.

Which is why we need to run something where we can throw the ball.

I remember Jackie, Croom, Dan most of the time when Dak wasn't the QB, even Joe morphed into a run heavy offense at the end- and every single one of those coaches and offenses it was always "Well, the MSU opponent is going to load up the box with 9 guys and dare MSU to throw it". Which was basically a veiled way of saying all we could do is run the ball. And I did not like that at all. It was soooo frustrating as a fan to watch. And then you would hear the excuses- "well, we can't find players that can run that kind of offense in Mississippi" (Ole Miss, USM, heck JSU and Mississippi Valley could) or the "well we're MSU and that's just not what we do."

Leach has already ruined that narrative. Shoot- we set the SEC record for passing yards in a game with KJ Costello throwing to Osirus Mitchell at Death Valley. Yeah. I think we can throw the ball at MSU.

I'm like you- I'm an Army fan and I love what Monken does with them and their offense. But that's good for them. I don't want MSU to do that and here's why:

1. Passing offenses score more points than run heavy offenses. Mostly because of the clock rules. Also because of the potential for more explosive plays. Most people consider an explosive play for a pass to be 20+ yards or more vs an explosive run being considered 12+ or more for a reason.

2. IMO it's easier to stop a running team than it is to stop a passing team. If you're more physical than the other run heavy team you can load the box and stop them. We can't count on being more physical every game since we're not a blueblood. To stop us now you basically have to run zone and hope that we have a really off day and don't just pick you apart. Or that you're Alabama and have generational talent on defense in which case nothing we would do would work anyway.

3. Because of 2 and the clock rules it's more difficult for a run heavy team to come back from a large deficit. When a team is down they have to pass. We do that naturally. A team like Army would be in trouble. It's not a coincidence that the two biggest comebacks in MSU history happened with Leach. We probably lose to La Tech and probably get blown out by Auburn if Dan or Joe were coaching us last year.

4. Our QB's were always getting beat up when we ran them a lot. Not saying a QB can't get hurt running the Air Raid but it minimizes it about as much as we can because we're in the gun all the time and the plays usually are run very quickly.

5. It helps us overcome our stigma with WR's and QB's in recruiting which is our traditionally most difficult position groups to recruit to. And thankfully we appear to be maintaining out recruiting stature on defense.

Dawgfan77
08-18-2022, 06:46 AM
Everybody wants more than 6-6. That doesn't mean we will get it. The offense IS boring. It's just like running it up the middle every play.

You are overly pessimistic have been since we hired leach. You criticized his decisions, his recruiting, hell you been critical of our Tackels ain't you haven't seen them in one practice this year. You have predicted 5-7 6-6 or worse, your words. I hate losing to OM as much as anyone but I don't let that game and the bowl game last year influence my thoughts on this year, especially when we return 17 staters and got some damn good players from the portal.
You are just overly negative about Leach and MSU.

basedog
08-18-2022, 07:21 AM

I remember Jackie, Croom, Dan most of the time when Dak wasn't the QB, even Joe morphed into a run heavy offense at the end- and every single one of those coaches and offenses it was always "Well, the MSU opponent is going to load up the box with 9 guys and dare MSU to throw it". Which was basically a veiled way of saying all we could do is run the ball. And I did not like that at all. It was soooo frustrating as a fan to watch. And then you would hear the excuses- "well, we can't find players that can run that kind of offense in Mississippi" (Ole Miss, USM, heck JSU and Mississippi Valley could) or the "well we're MSU and that's just not what we do."

Leach has already ruined that narrative. Shoot- we set the SEC record for passing yards in a game with KJ Costello throwing to Osirus Mitchell at Death Valley. Yeah. I think we can throw the ball at MSU.

I'm like you- I'm an Army fan and I love what Monken does with them and their offense. But that's good for them. I don't want MSU to do that and here's why:

1. Passing offenses score more points than run heavy offenses. Mostly because of the clock rules. Also because of the potential for more explosive plays. Most people consider an explosive play for a pass to be 20+ yards or more vs an explosive run being considered 12+ or more for a reason.

2. IMO it's easier to stop a running team than it is to stop a passing team. If you're more physical than the other run heavy team you can load the box and stop them. We can't count on being more physical every game since we're not a blueblood. To stop us now you basically have to run zone and hope that we have a really off day and don't just pick you apart. Or that you're Alabama and have generational talent on defense in which case nothing we would do would work anyway.

3. Because of 2 and the clock rules it's more difficult for a run heavy team to come back from a large deficit. When a team is down they have to pass. We do that naturally. A team like Army would be in trouble. It's not a coincidence that the two biggest comebacks in MSU history happened with Leach. We probably lose to La Tech and probably get blown out by Auburn if Dan or Joe were coaching us last year.

4. Our QB's were always getting beat up when we ran them a lot. Not saying a QB can't get hurt running the Air Raid but it minimizes it about as much as we can because we're in the gun all the time and the plays usually are run very quickly.

5. It helps us overcome our stigma with WR's and QB's in recruiting which is our traditionally most difficult position groups to recruit to. And thankfully we appear to be maintaining out recruiting stature on defense.

Actually, you make good points, but I think a more balance offense wins championships. Good teams or great teams will do whatever it takes to win, not a force run or force pass, keeping defenses on their toes is the key IMO. If they jam the LOS, you pass, if they back off the LOS you run.

In saying this, I wish two things the Pirate would do, throw the ball down the field just a little more, and run the ball just a little more. Find explosive wide out as well as a running back. I guess I guess I should say I wish we were Alabama! LOL

FISHDAWG
08-18-2022, 07:39 AM

we seldom have the talent to run 3 yds and a cloud of dust and make it work - not in our conference / division ... This is the reason I'm trying to be patient with Leach.

Maverick91
08-18-2022, 12:38 PM
I honestly believe this all hinges on the QB and his ability to read the defense.

Goldendawg
08-18-2022, 01:59 PM
Anyone know why Crumedy missed practice yesterday, not listed on depth chart.

Tripp McNeely
08-18-2022, 02:02 PM

Some kind of injury but not sure what it is or the severity

Coach34
08-18-2022, 02:21 PM

Crumedy has an arm

Goldendawg
08-18-2022, 02:45 PM
Crumedy has an arm

Thanks for the update. Ready for 1st game, I hope.

Ezsoil
08-18-2022, 03:21 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks This offense is doing great...in two years, 24 games, 18 of which are conference games, this offense has only been "out of the game" in five games both Alabama games, Texas A&M and KY in 20 and Tech.... then when you games started by Rodgers, only Alabama and Tech are the only games this offense hasn't been competitive. I'll take that all day long... so as far as I'm concerned we have our coach...and I'll continue to give my money ..

Johnson85
08-18-2022, 05:05 PM
It IS three yards and a cloud of dust. It's almost exactly the same thing. It's just plain boring.

It's only three yards and a cloud of dust when we can't block 3 with 5. But if you can't block 3 with 5, pretty much any offense you run is going to look boring.

Dawgfan77
08-18-2022, 05:41 PM

Fracture in his wrist. Might miss first game

R2Dawg
08-18-2022, 08:21 PM
Crumedy has an arm

Dang, why is he taking any risky snaps at this point. At least we have depth but that sucks.

Coach34
08-18-2022, 09:34 PM
You're literally the embodiment of that dril tweet: "go ahead. keep screaming "Shut the **** up" at me. it only makes my opinions worse."

Whatever shithead. Anybody that loves dump passes to RB's over and over also loves Ragu for spaghetti sauce, McDonald's hamburgers, and thinks Little Dooey's has good BBQ

basedog
08-18-2022, 10:06 PM
Whatever shithead. Anybody that loves dump passes to RB's over and over also loves Ragu for spaghetti sauce, McDonald's hamburgers, and thinks Little Dooey's has good BBQ

Now this made me laugh, btw, I sure don’t like Ragu sauce, McDonald’s, and I haven’t eaten at Little Dooey’s in a long time!

Schultzy
08-18-2022, 10:39 PM
If we had a rb that could break a tackle it would be a fun offense to watch

Tater
08-18-2022, 11:15 PM

And you show you can't read because I never said Dooey's did. Stop strawmanning. You're better than that.

I use Prego flavored with meat, ground beef with my seasoning mix, and hunts tomato paste. No ragu over here kid.

But I'll concede. I do love the $1.50 burgers from mickey d's. Great after a long run to eat like 6 of them and fries for $10.

Todd4State
08-19-2022, 12:14 AM
Actually, you make good points, but I think a more balance offense wins championships. Good teams or great teams will do whatever it takes to win, not a force run or force pass, keeping defenses on their toes is the key IMO. If they jam the LOS, you pass, if they back off the LOS you run.

In saying this, I wish two things the Pirate would do, throw the ball down the field just a little more, and run the ball just a little more. Find explosive wide out as well as a running back. I guess I guess I should say I wish we were Alabama! LOL

Honestly in my perfect football world we would be balanced. My favorite offense of all time is the Bill Walsh West Coast Offense from the 80's and early 90's. It was pass first but they could also run the ball. Some of the philosophies that Walsh had are similar to Leach and the Air Raid guys- short passes resulting in long gains with YAC (Jerry Rice) and passes that were extensions of the running game. Attacking space. Some of it of course if very different with the Air Raid.

My hope is that once Leach leaves we will have a good enough handle on the passing game and have that established enough that we can be more balanced with the next coach whoever that is. Realistically speaking we're not going to find coach that throws more than Leach anyway. Even if it is an Air Raid guy.

I agree with attacking downfield more. I think that may improve now that Will has more experience. Will is actually quite accurate on deep passes. So the opportunity is there. Along with that more wheel routes to give us match up advantages. I know that jet sweeps with WR's were in the playbook at one point in time with Leach. We definitely motion into it at times. Tulu or Calvin could be pretty good at running those I would think. Maybe now that we have a more experienced team we'll see some of those things.

basedog
08-19-2022, 06:52 AM
Honestly in my perfect football world we would be balanced. My favorite offense of all time is the Bill Walsh West Coast Offense from the 80's and early 90's. It was pass first but they could also run the ball. Some of the philosophies that Walsh had are similar to Leach and the Air Raid guys- short passes resulting in long gains with YAC (Jerry Rice) and passes that were extensions of the running game. Attacking space. Some of it of course if very different with the Air Raid.

My hope is that once Leach leaves we will have a good enough handle on the passing game and have that established enough that we can be more balanced with the next coach whoever that is. Realistically speaking we're not going to find coach that throws more than Leach anyway. Even if it is an Air Raid guy.

I agree with attacking downfield more. I think that may improve now that Will has more experience. Will is actually quite accurate on deep passes. So the opportunity is there. Along with that more wheel routes to give us match up advantages. I know that jet sweeps with WR's were in the playbook at one point in time with Leach. We definitely motion into it at times. Tulu or Calvin could be pretty good at running those I would think. Maybe now that we have a more experienced team we'll see some of those things.

Let's hope Will Rogers doesn't get hurt, I'm expecting him to be really good this year. Btw his NIL thingy with Make A Wish is outstanding!

Johnson85
08-19-2022, 10:35 AM

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this except that our main problem has been talent (or coaching), not the offense we have run. Certainly the air raid is going to be more attractive to most receivers because there are just more opportunities to catch the ball, but Dan's playcalling and personality were a bigger impediment to us getting WRs than the fact that he ran a power spread offense. Had we had a different play caller that was also less opposed to catering to wide receivers (and turning a blind eye), we would have gotten better receivers and had more passing plays/yds.

I will nitpick about stopping rushing versus passing offenses. I think that's more about having big play receivers. Even if you have an elite RB that can punish a Bama or UGA, it's still hard for them to get in the end zone. Too many people to run past so you have to string together a lot of good plays. You have an elite WR, you may not be as good at moving the ball, but you have a much better chance of beating one CB and safety and taking it to the house. You pair that with a good defense, and a couple of big plays/lucky breaks lets you beat a team that is much more physically gifted than you on average. That's how Ole Miss beat Bama twice (well, that and Lane Kiffing passing a lot while his RBs averaged 6 yds a carry).

If we had an elite WR to pair with a solid line and QB/RB attack, I'm not sure Dan's offense wouldn't be great against Bama. The one time we had a good QB and a couple of good WRs even if no homerun threats, we moved the ball pretty well against Bama. We just got tight on the road and couldn't overcome that and the Bama ref treatment. Of course, you have to have a QB that can run, take a punishment, and also throw the deep ball. Dak wasn't great on deep balls. I think Fitzgerald was kind of like Nick Marshall. He actually threw a pretty good deep ball compared to how he was as a passer overall, Nick just didn't have the WRs to give him any margin. Not sure how hard it would be to consistently have a break out threat, a good enough running game to put pressure on a Bama or UGA, and a Qb that could take advantage. Mullen obviously couldn't do that.

I do think the air raid will make it easier for us to move the ball on Bama in years when we aren't really good. But we still have to have 5 OL that can hold there own. We haven't had that yet against Bama under Leach. I'm not expecting us to have that this year either. I think Leach can develop OL enough that we will be able to have that reasonably consistently in the future, but don't know yet.

NWADAWG
08-19-2022, 10:44 AM
And you show you can't read because I never said Dooey's did. Stop strawmanning. You're better than that.

I use Prego flavored with meat, ground beef with my seasoning mix, and hunts tomato paste. No ragu over here kid.

But I'll concede. I do love the $1.50 burgers from mickey d's. Great after a long run to eat like 6 of them and fries for $10.

I should be more mature than this but all I could hear in my head as I read this was Beavis and Butthead saying.....He said Prego.

Maroonthirteen
08-19-2022, 11:04 AM
I ageee on the missing ingredient for Leach being talent. Tech dominated our OL and DL that was the difference in the game. Anyways....

People recall Jackie's offense being 3 yards and a cloud of dust. However my favorite offense was that 1994 team. That team could move the ball. Davis, Bouie and McCrary punishing defense with the run. Then when the defense had to roll everyone up, boom over the top to Moulds. That team was talented offensively.

TrapGame
08-19-2022, 11:17 AM
Okay, what's up with Forbes?

TrapGame
08-19-2022, 01:19 PM
The word is Crumedy and Forbes both out until LSU. Mainly as a precaution however.

WhiskeyPirate
08-19-2022, 01:43 PM
The word is Crumedy and Forbes both out until LSU. Mainly as a precaution however.

Nice that the deepest position groups on the team are DB and DL. We should be fine against Memphis as long as they are back for LSU

Cooterpoot
08-19-2022, 01:55 PM
OL and special teams are my only concern (assuming injuries are avoided). WRs have some things to prove but lord knows they'll get the chance.

KOdawg1
08-19-2022, 02:29 PM

Supposedly a knee injury. But should only be out a few weeks.

Being a knee injury worries me though. Those are tricky.

KOdawg1
08-19-2022, 02:31 PM
OL and special teams are my only concern (assuming injuries are avoided). WRs have some things to prove but lord knows they'll get the chance.

And for the OL, it's really just LT. We should be stout in the middle and I think even though Kam Jones is better at guard, he'll be much better than what we had last year at RT.

Goldendawg
08-19-2022, 03:46 PM
New Fall Fan Fest starts in the Junction tomorrow at 11:00am, scrimmage open to public at 1:00pm, volleyball vs. Louisiana at 4:00pm. I plan to attend with my MSU Sr son and will post an "expert analysis" of the FB scrimmage as I played two years of HS FB, 71 - 73 and have watched hundreds of State games since then.**** Hail State!

Rawdawg
08-19-2022, 04:45 PM
Supposedly a knee injury. But should only be out a few weeks.

Being a knee injury worries me though. Those are tricky.

It?s an ankle but I think he avoided a high ankle sprain

Tater
08-19-2022, 05:35 PM
I should be more mature than this but all I could hear in my head as I read this was Beavis and Butthead saying.....He said Prego.

The new Beavis and Butthead movie was actually really funny. It had no right to be as good as it was.

Cooterpoot
08-19-2022, 06:36 PM
And for the OL, it's really just LT. We should be stout in the middle and I think even though Kam Jones is better at guard, he'll be much better than what we had last year at RT.

No, it's not just LT. We've got some issues.

KOdawg1
08-19-2022, 07:43 PM

Disagree. Nick Jones, Sharp, Cole Smith/Reese, Kam Jones at LG to RT will be fine. If Dolla handles LT, the OL will be fine

Homedawg
08-19-2022, 10:45 PM

When leach leaves the next coach is screwed bc we will have to do a full shift of personnel. And don't tell me the portal will fix it. It can help yes. But we will be behind the 8 ball in a big way.

Hambone
08-19-2022, 10:54 PM
Leach leaving sometime soon?

Coach34
08-19-2022, 11:17 PM
I'd be shocked if he is our coach in 2025

NCDawg
08-20-2022, 12:30 AM

Has there ever been a year when we haven't had issues on the OL?

Ezsoil
08-20-2022, 11:25 AM
I'd be shocked if he is our coach in 2025

While I view him as just a hired hand...culturally he is a good fit here ... 1. He's not looking for a better job 2. He likes small towns 3. He has won with less in every situation he has been in. 4. Of his 18 conference games, the team has had a chance to win in all but 4 of them ...
that is something MSU a fans have NEVER had... a chance to come back in a game even against ranked teams even on the road.

At the end of the day, most of us just want to see competitive football... he has surpassed Mullen in my book ..that being said, it does trouble me that some in the Athletic Department aren't sold on him.....to those who aren't sold on him ... what does he not provide that you think a head coach should ? And then my next question would be ...who would be willing to come to Starkville MS in the current NIL environment ?

Fact is we have the best coach for our situation

Catfish
08-20-2022, 11:46 AM
While I view him as just a hired hand...culturally he is a good fit here ... 1. He's not looking for a better job 2. He likes small towns 3. He has won with less in every situation he has been in. 4. Of his 18 conference games, the team has had a chance to win in all but 4 of them ...
that is something MSU a fans have NEVER had... a chance to come back in a game even against ranked teams even on the road.

At the end of the day, most of us just want to see competitive football... he has surpassed Mullen in my book ..that being said, it does trouble me that some in the Athletic Department aren't sold on him.....to those who aren't sold on him ... what does he not provide that you think a head coach should ? And then my next question would be ...who would be willing to come to Starkville MS in the current NIL environment ?

Rep, good post.

DEDawg
08-20-2022, 12:19 PM
Rep, good post.

Ehhh except the better than Mullen part. That is a ridiculous statement at this point. Like absolutely ludicrous thing to say

Catfish
08-20-2022, 12:24 PM
Ehhh except the better than Mullen part. That is a ridiculous statement at this point. Like absolutely ludicrous thing to say

So you're a Mullen fan?

Ezsoil
08-20-2022, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=DEDawg;1441283]Ehhh except the better than Mullen part. That is a ridiculous statement at this point. Like absolutely ludicrous thing to say[/

Well Mullen did change the culture and did some wonderful things ... he got people to show up, he encouraged wearing Maroon, he won the games he was supposed to and ....early on....beat Ole Miss.... he mastered the formula to get bowl eligible. But he rarely beat a team that finished the season in the top 25.... in fact, Leach matched Mullen's nine year total (3) last year alone. From that standpoint and the fact that Leach wants to here and fits here ...I'd say that Leach is better than Mullen..

TrapGame
08-20-2022, 01:38 PM
Mike Leach is back in the SEC. That's what he's wanted for a while. He will retire after this job. And he'll be here longer than 2025.

NCDawg
08-20-2022, 01:43 PM
Mike Leach is back in the SEC. That's what he's wanted for a while. He will retire after this job. And he'll be here longer than 2025.

Conditioned upon him not losing to U of Mississippi 6 straight years.

BuckyIsAB****
08-20-2022, 02:29 PM
We just have to stay healthy?I am getting concerned

Tater
08-20-2022, 03:06 PM
We just have to stay healthy?I am getting concerned

Anyone else besides Crumedy / Forbes?

DEDawg
08-20-2022, 03:30 PM
So you're a Mullen fan?

Uh I guess. The same I?m a fan of any MSU coach. What an odd response

DEDawg
08-20-2022, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=DEDawg;1441283]Ehhh except the better than Mullen part. That is a ridiculous statement at this point. Like absolutely ludicrous thing to say[/

Well Mullen did change the culture and did some wonderful things ... he got people to show up, he encouraged wearing Maroon, he won the games he was supposed to and ....early on....beat Ole Miss.... he mastered the formula to get bowl eligible. But he rarely beat a team that finished the season in the top 25.... in fact, Leach matched Mullen's nine year total (3) last year alone. From that standpoint and the fact that Leach wants to here and fits here ...I'd say that Leach is better than Mullen..
I mean who am I to say you are wrong but comparing a coach who completely turned our program around from perennial bottom dweller to number 1 in the country to a coach who hasn?t beat ole miss yet? thats wild to me

maroonmania
08-20-2022, 03:43 PM

In the current college football environment EVERY coach should be viewed as a hired hand and EVERY player should be viewed as a hired hand. I will say that Leach is way more loyal than most and there is a good chance he finishes his career here. He had long stops at both his other HC gigs and might still be at TX Tech today without the farce that forced him out. And I agree that we have about the best coach we could have given the NIL situation. A lot of players are very interested in playing for Leach who everyone knows as a coaching legend at this point. Can u imagine us trying to attract players in this environment with a Joe Judge as our HC? We owe a lot to the NY Giants for saving our asses.

Cowbell
08-20-2022, 04:43 PM
Anyone else besides Crumedy / Forbes?

Marks/ankle is the only one I'm hearing

BuckyIsAB****
08-20-2022, 05:10 PM
Marks/ankle is the only one I'm hearing

Cant lose him for long

Cowbell
08-20-2022, 05:24 PM
Cant lose him for long

What's the word? Sprain?

R2Dawg
08-20-2022, 05:41 PM
Dang injuries just like other years when we come into fall loaded the injury bug hits.

Crumedy and Forbes should be only getting light duty in fall camp anyway. They have proved their worth. One a potential AA and other best DT on team and potential ASEC. Wonder how it happened.

memsu06
08-20-2022, 05:51 PM
I don't get some of you Leach haters. This is only his 3rd year and you want him gone? One of those years was the COVID year that screwed up implementation of everything from the offense, defense, conditioning, etc.

Leach has a proven track record of doing more with less. That's where we are in the SEC world. We aren't going to hire Nick Saban. We run an unconventional offense and defense that teams have to prepare for. This season sets us up quite nice with several trap games against our opponents. I'm thinking Leach steals a few wins this season because of it.

Look at the coaches that were hired the year Mullen left. Only a few are actually doing well and several are either fired or on the hot seat.

Coaching hires are a crapshoot anyway. Jimbo Fisher isn't exactly tearing it up over at TAMU. So, not sure who you think you're going to replace Leach with.

Leach is a solid head coach that will get the most out of his players. When's the last time we had 4-4 Star QBs on the roster. We currently have the best receiver room we've had since at least 2014 or a long time before then.

Leach and the staff are doing what they need to. We may not have many standout players, but our entire roster is not bad at all.

Coach34
08-20-2022, 05:53 PM

I agree he will retire at State. I just think as he gets closer to 65, Key West and his millions in the bank will be reason enough to give it up

msstate7
08-20-2022, 06:10 PM
I don't get some of you Leach haters. This is only his 3rd year and you want him gone? One of those years was the COVID year that screwed up implementation of everything from the offense, defense, conditioning, etc.

Leach has a proven track record of doing more with less. That's where we are in the SEC world. We aren't going to hire Nick Saban. We run an unconventional offense and defense that teams have to prepare for. This season sets us up quite nice with several trap games against our opponents. I'm thinking Leach steals a few wins this season because of it.

Look at the coaches that were hired the year Mullen left. Only a few are actually doing well and several are either fired or on the hot seat.

Coaching hires are a crapshoot anyway. Jimbo Fisher isn't exactly tearing it up over at TAMU. So, not sure who you think you're going to replace Leach with.

Leach is a solid head coach that will get the most out of his players. When's the last time we had 4-4 Star QBs on the roster. We currently have the best receiver room we've had since at least 2014 or a long time before then.

Leach and the staff are doing what they need to. We may not have many standout players, but our entire roster is not bad at all.

I don't hate leach; but I've come to the conclusion that we can't win big no matter who we have now, so I prefer a coach that runs a style that's fun to watch

TrapGame
08-20-2022, 07:33 PM

Leach is the perfect fit here but some people think if you aren't running the ball every other play you're not playing football.

I agree he will retire at State. I just think as he gets closer to 65, Key West and his millions in the bank will be reason enough to give it up

Key West and his millions right now are reason enough to give it up. He's still coaching. He loves coaching and will coach several years past 65.

I don't hate leach; but I've come to the conclusion that we can't win big no matter who we have now, so I prefer a coach that runs a style that's fun to watch

Fun to watch? I was having the time of my life watching us score 40 unanswered points on Auburn. There is no way in Hell we could have come back on Auburn like that with Mullen running Holloway up the middle and Fitz on 3rd and long. We've both seen that movie too many times.

msstate7
08-20-2022, 07:47 PM
Fun to watch? I was having the time of my life watching us score 40 unanswered points on Auburn. There is no way in Hell we could have come back on Auburn like that with Mullen running Holloway up the middle and Fitz on 3rd and long. We've both seen that movie too many times.

Auburn was fun. You didnt mention the 2 following games vs real players.

Mullen's style was better, but id prefer something like clawson's. I'd prefer a more balanced approach that looks to hit big plays in the passing game.

ETA... leach is hardly a bad coach. He's good in fact, so I'm not stumping to fire him. Just given a choice, I'd prefer a different type offense.

BuckyIsAB****
08-20-2022, 10:40 PM
Marks wont miss any time. Crumedy will be back by LSU and Forbes could go if we need him to. Key word is need. Nothing major except Crumedy. But he will be back. Could be a lot worse but It just seems like they all hit at once

Cowbell
08-20-2022, 11:38 PM
Marks wont miss any time. Crumedy will be back by LSU and Forbes could go if we need him to. Key word is need. Nothing major except Crumedy. But he will be back. Could be a lot worse but It just seems like they all hit at once

Thanks - if we can stay here that's about as good as ever entering the season,

Cooterpoot
08-21-2022, 09:56 AM
Lewis is probably going to miss the season due to injury. He's the only concern at this point.

Hambone
08-21-2022, 10:06 AM
Percy Lewis? John Lewis?

HancockCountyDog
08-21-2022, 11:26 AM
Lewis is probably going to miss the season due to injury. He's the only concern at this point.

Yeah throwing out a Lewis here isn't cool. Certainly hope you are referring to John. Sound like a jerk to say that.

TrapGame
08-21-2022, 11:56 AM
John Lewis, so everybody knows.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-22-2022, 09:09 AM
You know what kind of offense I like to watch? The kind that results in winning.

Leach has done historic levels of winning everywhere he's been.

Look at his time here: we ALL agreed whatever coach followed JoMo would have a lost year due to culture issues. An Leach sucked in 2020, but fixed the culture. Then in 2021 we were a FG kicker away from 9-3. Considering our FG kicker was good in 2020 and sucked in 21 because of an injury, I think it's reasonable to say Leach cannot be blamed for not getting a transfer. But guess what? He did get a transfer this year, because Leach adreses our weaknesses as he sees them.

We have 4* Qbs. WRs are talented. OL has adjusted to the scheme, seems well coached, and we're recruiting well there. Defense is well coached and recruiting is about the same as always there. Leach is good at using the Portal.

What do you guys want from him?? An offense you personally like watching? All I care about is the scoreboard. If were lose by 20, I'm not having much fun that 2nd half. If we win by literally anything, then the game was a good one to watch. Who cares?

I don't see this debate about defense- nobody cares if a DC runs a 3-3 or a 3-4 etc, as long as the stats are good we like that DC. But offense has to be the style you like?

And for the "were so screwed when Mullen leaves" crowd... remember how we hated jomo for running his system, instead of adapting to the players he had? Like we said then, a good coach adjusts to his players. The guy that replaces Leach will have multiple 4* QBs (including dual threats) an OL that's very good at pass pro, and very good WRs. If he cant make an offense work around that because he's missing a TE/high 4* RB, he's not a good coach. He'll, the portal can solve any TE or RB issue immediately. Leach may be a system guy but he's bringing in a lot of talent that will translate well to any system

Johnson85
08-22-2022, 09:15 AM
You know what kind of offense I like to watch? The kind that results in winning.

Look at his time here: we ALL agreed whatever coach followed JoMo would have a lost year due to culture issues. An Leach sucked in 2020, but fixed the culture. Then in 2021 we were a FG kicker away from 9-3. Considering our FG kicker was good in 2020 and sucked in 21 because of an injury, I think it's reasonable to say Leach canyon be blamed for not getting a transfer. But guess what? He did get a transfer this year, because Leach adreses our weaknesses as he sees them.

We have 4* Qbs. WRs are talented. OL has adjusted to the scheme, seems well coached, and we're recruiting well there. Defense is well coached and recruiting is about the same as its always been there. Leach is good at using the Portal.

What do you guys want from him?? An offense you personally like watching? All I care about is the scoreboard. Of were lose by 20, I'm not having much fun that 2nd half. If we win by literally anything, then the game was a good one to watch. Who cares? I don't see this debate about defense- nobody cares if a DC runs a 3-3 or a 3-4 etc, as long as the stats are good we like that DC. But offense has to be the style you like?

And for all the "were so screwed when Mullen leaves" crowd... remember how we hated jomo for running g his system, instead of adapti g to the players he had? Like we said then, a good coaches adjusts to his players. The guy that replaces Leach will have multiple 4* QBs (including dual threats) an OL that's very good at pass pro, and very good WRs. If he can't for an offense around that because he's missing a TE/high 4* RB, he's not a good coach. He'll, the portal can solve any TE or RB issue immediately.

I just hate we didn't have Leach for a few more years before NIL took off. I think we're better off with Leach than probably any other coach because of his offense but I don't think it's going to be enough to make a difference unless something changes with NIL.

Also, how we transition when he leaves is a good argument against Leach I think. We are going to go with another air raid based coach (which luckily there are a decent number of options now) or we are going to go through a painful rebuild. The portal may help or hurt with that. On the one hand, we'll be able to get transfers to fit whatever scheme we are going with, but good players that came for the air raid will transfer out, even if they would be a decent fit for the new scheme. But you can't really make your choices on a coaching hire based on how the transition will look when he leaves.

msstate7
08-22-2022, 09:22 AM

Look at his time here: we ALL agreed whatever coach followed JoMo would have a lost year due to culture issues. An Leach sucked in 2020, but fixed the culture. Then in 2021 we were a FG kicker away from 9-3. Considering our FG kicker was good in 2020 and sucked in 21 because of an injury, I think it's reasonable to say Leach cannot be blamed for not getting a transfer. But guess what? He did get a transfer this year, because Leach adreses our weaknesses as he sees them.

We have 4* Qbs. WRs are talented. OL has adjusted to the scheme, seems well coached, and we're recruiting well there. Defense is well coached and recruiting is about the same as always there. Leach is good at using the Portal.

What do you guys want from him?? An offense you personally like watching? All I care about is the scoreboard. If were lose by 20, I'm not having much fun that 2nd half. If we win by literally anything, then the game was a good one to watch. Who cares?

I don't see this debate about defense- nobody cares if a DC runs a 3-3 or a 3-4 etc, as long as the stats are good we like that DC. But offense has to be the style you like?

And for the "were so screwed when Mullen leaves" crowd... remember how we hated jomo for running his system, instead of adapting to the players he had? Like we said then, a good coach adjusts to his players. The guy that replaces Leach will have multiple 4* QBs (including dual threats) an OL that's very good at pass pro, and very good WRs. If he cant make an offense work around that because he's missing a TE/high 4* RB, he's not a good coach. He'll, the portal can solve any TE or RB issue immediately. Leach may be a system guy but he's bringing in a lot of talent that will translate well to any system

The fact is we aren't winning big again. Taking this into consideration, all you really have is the entertainment factor, so if I don't consider the product entertaining, why go? I've used all my travel weekends the last few years to watch the saints and braves, who I consider much more entertaining, along with more to do in the area of the games.

Again, leach has done a solid job, and I'm not advocating to fire him. Just a personal preference on my part

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-22-2022, 09:30 AM
The fact is we aren't winning big again. Taking this into consideration, all you really have is the entertainment factor, so if I don't consider the product entertaining, why go? I've used all my travel weekends the last few years to watch the saints and braves, who I consider much more entertaining, along with more to do in the area of the games.

Again, leach has done a solid job, and I'm not advocating to fire him. Just a personal preference on my part

We were never going to win a Natty, not sire why you're just now accepting that.

As for entertainment value, I consider 9-3 more entertaining than 8-4. Don't you?

msstate7
08-22-2022, 09:40 AM
We were never going to win a Natty, not sire why you're just now accepting that.

As for entertainment value, I consider 9-3 more entertaining than 8-4. Don't you?

Not necessarily. I enjoyed us better in 2009 than in 2012.

FISHDAWG
08-22-2022, 10:32 AM

I don't know how anyone could refute this ... winning is much more fun and I couldn't care less if it's through the air or on the ground

msstate7
08-22-2022, 10:40 AM
I don't know how anyone could refute this ... winning is much more fun and I couldn't care less if it's through the air or on the ground

Did you enjoy 2012 (8-4) with Russell throwing it in the picket or 2013 (7-5) with dak running and throwing? Maybe you're the opposite, but if you aren't winning big, style matters.

ETA... now obviously, if we get to a NY6 bowl, style is much less important to me. If the difference is liberty and music though, does it even matter?

HancockCountyDog
08-22-2022, 10:43 AM
I enjoyed the second half of the AU game as much as any game I have watched in the last 10 years.

I did not enjoy the egg bowl at all.

FISHDAWG
08-22-2022, 10:44 AM
Did you enjoy 2012 (8-4) with Russell throwing it in the picket or 2013 (7-5) with dak running and throwing? Maybe you're the opposite, but if you aren't winning big, style matters.

so I guess you're the type that isn't satisfied unless we look great or dominating while doing it ... that's ok - it's your position ... mine is just winning. So I'll take the 8-4 over the 7-5

msstate7
08-22-2022, 10:47 AM
I enjoyed the second half of the AU game as much as any game I have watched in the last 10 years.

I did not enjoy the egg bowl at all.

Same as beating them to get to #1? Wow, that's a hot take

ETA... now don't get me wrong, that was a very entertaining game as was beating aTm.

HancockCountyDog
08-22-2022, 11:45 AM
Same as beating them to get to #1? Wow, that's a hot take

ETA... now don't get me wrong, that was a very entertaining game as was beating aTm.

The second half was really fun. AU 2014 was damn fun as well. Hell LSU in 2014 was a good one. My favorite game in the last 15 years might be 2009 egg bowl, we throttled them from the word go.

I really don't care how we whip someone's ass, as long as its whipped.

StarkVegasSteve
08-22-2022, 12:20 PM
The second half was really fun. AU 2014 was damn fun as well. Hell LSU in 2014 was a good one. My favorite game in the last 15 years might be 2009 egg bowl, we throttled them from the word go.

I really don't care how we whip someone's ass, as long as its whipped.

What 09 Egg Bowl did you watch? We were down at half 13-10 and could not move the ball. It was not until we went to Relf that we flipped the game.

Goldendawg
08-22-2022, 01:44 PM
An of you got insight on our punting situation? We return Trafford who was punting a good bit at the end of last season and brought in Georgopoulos through the portal. At Saturday's drills they were both struggling and finally one of them got a "Bronx cheer" on one of the last punts which was very long with excellent hang time. They or one of them was rolling out to practice "Aussie style" punting with poor results. Bad day in drills or are we ok at punter?

HancockCountyDog
08-22-2022, 01:56 PM
What 09 Egg Bowl did you watch? We were down at half 13-10 and could not move the ball. It was not until we went to Relf that we flipped the game.

Getting old, you only remember the good things from Egg Bowl wins.

PikeDawg15
08-22-2022, 02:01 PM
one question, Do we have a kicker that can make 95% of the field goals within 40 yards?

Bothrops
08-23-2022, 06:40 PM

C'mon, guys.

Agree, but then again this is Will we're talking about back there. I can catch Will in the backfield and I come from the 1970s.

BeardoMSU
08-23-2022, 07:15 PM
Agree, but then again this is Will we're talking about back there. I can catch Will in the backfield and I come from the 1970s.

Slow down, homie.

Maroonthirteen
08-23-2022, 09:02 PM
Maybe he is thinking of the 2011 Egg Bowl. We beat them bad.

HancockCountyDog
08-24-2022, 09:34 AM
Maybe he is thinking of the 2011 Egg Bowl. We beat them bad.

From the 2nd half of the 2009 game until the end of the 2011 game, we dominated them for those 2 1/2 games. At least that is how I choose to remember it.

MedDawg
08-24-2022, 10:12 AM
Honestly in my perfect football world we would be balanced. My favorite offense of all time is the Bill Walsh West Coast Offense from the 80's and early 90's.

Hire Croom as our OC!

MedDawg
08-24-2022, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=Ezsoil;1441285]
I mean who am I to say you are wrong but comparing a coach who completely turned our program around from perennial bottom dweller to number 1 in the country to a coach who hasn?t beat ole miss yet? thats wild to me

Leach took Texas Tech to #2 in the country. He took Washington State to #7 in the country. Both teams finished 11-2.

MedDawg
08-24-2022, 10:23 AM

I took his post to mean being more competitive against better teams. Leach has been more competitive with fewer blowout losses against better teams than Mullen. We have had more chances to win (and more wins) against ranked teams under Leach.

Mullen built solid conservative teams that almost always beat who they were supposed to, but failed to beat favored teams. Often was blown out by favored teams. Overall Mullen's results were better than Leach's have been to date, but Leach did finish 4-4 in the SEC last year, which was considered a good year under Mullen. It's really too early to judge them against each other. Mullen never had anything like 2020 to deal with when he started.

Reason2succeed
08-27-2022, 09:43 AM
This is a pretty dumb argument. I?m guessing all of you have divorced your wives for a younger pretty woman.

Let the man coach the team the way he coaches. If not, you can?t hold him accountable for the results.

His system has historically worked or he wouldn?t have been still coaching and a candidate for any SEC job.

This is ain?t 1998 anymore. Which team is running 3yards and a cloud of dust and winning at a high level? Not even Bama with their talent is trying to do that anymore.

Speaking of Bama let?s look at who has been able to beat them: Clemson in the NC, Ole Miss with Freeze, Joe Burrow LSU, and Jimbo last year. None of them
were 3yards and a cloud. The only way to beat Bama is passing early and often and minimizing their athletic advantages on defense. Am I saying we ever beat Bama under Saban? No, but Dan never got close.

GIVE LEACH A CHANCE! He?s only been doing this for over 20 years. This is probably our breakout year. Enjoy it! HailState