PDA

View Full Version : Malik Heath and why he transferred to the sharks............

99jc
08-06-2022, 01:45 PM
WR Malik Heath explains transfer from Mississippi State to Ole Miss: 'The cowbells are too loud'

OXFORD ? Malik Heath is breaking down boundaries.

Heath, a senior receiver from Callaway High School in Jackson, will become one of the few players in history to have suited up for both Ole Miss and Mississippi State when the Rebels host Troy in their season opener on Sept. 3 (3 p.m., SEC Network). After putting up 749 yards and eight touchdowns in his two years in Starkville, Heath jumped in the transfer portal to use his final year of eligibility in Oxford, where he's now competing with fellow transfers Jordan Watkins and Jaylon Robinson as well as long-time friend Jonathan Mingo for playing time.

As Heath explains, the choice to come to Ole Miss wasn't a no-brainer, but it wasn't very difficult either.

"I just like the offense," Heath said. "I think Lane Kiffin is a great play-caller, (wide receivers) Coach (Derrick) Nix is a great coach. He pushes you every day. That's something I didn't have over there at the other school. At first I was skeptical about it because of the rival school and all the media and all that. But I've seen a lot of other folks (transferring) and I thought. 'Why not?'"

Heath also mentioned the schematic differences that allow him to do a little more as a receiver at Ole Miss than in Mississippi State coach Mike Leach's air raid. Heath says most of the emphasis in Leach's offense was on routes within five yards of the line of scrimmage, compared to Kiffin, who emphasizes more of a downfield attack.

Combine that with getting to play with his cousin Brandon Buckhaulter and Mingo, who he's known since their high school days in Jackson, and Heath couldn't pass up the opportunity to play at Ole Miss, rivalry be darned.

Heath's situation is rare. He's not the only person to play at both schools; Breck Tyler played at Mississippi State in 1977 and Ole Miss in 1980-81. But he's certainly the first football player to switch sides in the transfer portal era, opening the door for future defectors.

Heath still thinks of the players at Mississippi State as his brothers. He said he and Bulldogs quarterback Will Rogers had a tough conversation when he made his decision but they finished on good terms. He expects the week of the Egg Bowl to be a fun one full of barbs and smack talk, but he's just glad the game is in Oxford instead of Starkville so he won't have to have cowbell flashbacks.

"I'm glad it's not at the other school," Heath said. "They've got to come here. I ain't have to hear the cowbells. I've been thinking about it ever since I came. I didn't like the cowbells. The cowbells are too loud."

R2Dawg
08-06-2022, 01:52 PM
Wow what a loser. The poor cowbells hurt my ears. He didn't get coached over here because he was like 3rd string. If there is anyone else on the team that feels this way, they need to be shown the door.

Ask some true maroon dudes what the cowbells in DWS mean?

State82
08-06-2022, 02:06 PM
17 him and the horse he rode in on. Dipshit.

KOdawg1
08-06-2022, 02:10 PM
Malik stayed hurt and while he was hurt, Rara Thomas played better than him.

So he lost his spot. It wasn't because MSU didn't push him. MSU protected that punk way too many times.

99jc
08-06-2022, 02:20 PM
he wouldn't hear the cowbell when it gets shoved up his ass

Goldendawg
08-06-2022, 02:38 PM

So he lost his spot. It wasn't because MSU didn't push him. MSU protected that punk way too many times.

His running drop kick to a defenseless player (and quicker cowardly retreat, probably faster than any pattern he ever ran) in the bowl game against Tulsa and his "Watch dis" commentary of the film in the locker room was a disgrace to the University. He was a big disappointment to us after we did everything we could to get him to State.He should have been kicked off the team for these actions. He never reached his potential. He is finally right where he belongs.

Todd4State
08-06-2022, 03:23 PM
What a douchebag. I guarantee you that if/when we get a player from Ole Miss it will be well no hard feelings I enjoyed my time in
Oxford blah, blah, blah. Not surprised they went at this with a hit piece against our staff and school.

Bunch of pieces of shit.

Todd4State
08-06-2022, 03:26 PM
Oh and speaking of pieces of shit I bet Mike Espy is proud of himself for "delivering" Heath after four years. Congrats on doing what's "in the best interest of the kids". Maybe you can get Deion Smith there in a couple more years.

maroonmania
08-06-2022, 03:27 PM
Yep, I'm certainly not losing any sleep over him leaving. He turned out to be a JAG. Funny part is the cowbells don't even ring much when we are on offense. I guess he wants his sideline time to be peacefully quiet.

MetEdDawg
08-06-2022, 03:32 PM
If noise was his issue, at least he was smart enough to transfer to a school where noise from the crowd won't be loud enough to be a distraction.

viverlibre
08-06-2022, 03:36 PM
According to Rosebowl, we "encouraged" him to consider other opportunities. Unpopular opinion, he was one of our few big play threats and we will miss him in that role. He had the most YPC and longest play of any WRs that had significant PT. Obviously, we have some talent coming back and in, but his added depth would have been nice. He dropped some and made some boneheaded plays, but on a 50/50 hail mary jump ball to win the game, He'd have a better chance at it than most of our other WRs.

Whether he was a "cancer" in the locker room, I have no idea. Let's just hope he doesn't have the game of his life in the Egg Bowl.

Goldendawg
08-06-2022, 03:45 PM
According to Rosebowl, we "encouraged" him to consider other opportunities. Unpopular opinion, he was one of our few big play threats and we will miss him in that role. He had the most YPC and longest play of any WRs that had significant PT. Obviously, we have some talent coming back and in, but his added depth would have been nice. He dropped some and made some boneheaded plays, but on a 50/50 hail mary jump ball to win the game, He'd have a better chance at it than most of our other WRs.

Whether he was a "cancer" in the locker room, I have no idea. Let's just hope he doesn't have the game of his life in the Egg Bowl.

His longest play of any WR was against an OOC cupcake in a blowout. I remember a big fumble that killed 1st Q momentum in an SEC game that was a close loss also.

Bothrops
08-06-2022, 03:52 PM
Heath is a good player, but I honestly don't think we will miss him. Sea of sameness type of thing at receiver.

State82
08-06-2022, 04:12 PM
Ask some true maroon dudes what the cowbells in DWS mean?

Would really like to hear the Fred Smoot take on this.

starkvegasdawg
08-06-2022, 04:14 PM
Y'all have to excuse me. The Taco Bell hit and I have to go take a Malik.

TrapGame
08-06-2022, 04:21 PM
At State he had a QB that could get him the ball. At om he doesn't. Will has more experience than Dart and Altmeyer put together.

R2Dawg
08-06-2022, 04:44 PM
Would really like to hear the Fred Smoot take on this.

Yeah. I've heard Jonathon Bank's take on the affect and his love for the cowbell in DWS. Heath wasn't ever a Dawg.

MaroonFlounder
08-06-2022, 04:45 PM
Let's just hope he doesn't have the game of his life in the Egg Bowl.

That would be just our luck.

BuckyIsAB****
08-06-2022, 04:48 PM

Ding ding ding

Commercecomet24
08-06-2022, 05:33 PM
I watched Heath loafing enough when he played to know why he was third string. He missed blocks constantly and halfway ran his routes most of the time. He's talented but he's pissing it away because he's lazy.

Commercecomet24
08-06-2022, 05:34 PM
Y'all have to excuse me. The Taco Bell hit and I have to go take a Malik.

Rep!

BuckyIsAB****
08-06-2022, 05:38 PM
I wont say much more than this, we signed Malik not once but TWICE when we had every reason not to. He is where he belongs. He was not a great effort guy. He may make a few plays for them but he will also blow a lot like we saw here. The cowbell thing is just a jab nothing more nothing less. We will get our chance to have the last word. We have better players is why he left I could say a lot more.

Goldendawg
08-06-2022, 06:31 PM
This "clarion liar" article has made MSN.com today. What a joke!

Cooterpoot
08-06-2022, 06:35 PM
Never help those that refuse to help themselves, after you've given them opportunities. Coddled athlete with a troubled background. People gave him a hand and he bit it.
He'll be remembered for a fight at a bowl game. That says all that needs to be said. Glad he's gone.

BeardoMSU
08-06-2022, 07:22 PM
Yeah, **** him.

R2Dawg
08-06-2022, 08:17 PM
I wont say much more than this, we signed Malik not once but TWICE when we had every reason not to. He is where he belongs. He was not a great effort guy. He may make a few plays for them but he will also blow a lot like we saw here. The cowbell thing is just a jab nothing more nothing less. We will get our chance to have the last word. We have better players is why he left I could say a lot more.

Dang forgot about that, we are worse at recruiting than I thought.

ZedFedder
08-06-2022, 09:44 PM
I’d say that too if I didn’t have an option to come back.

Catfish
08-06-2022, 10:04 PM
I’d say that too if I didn’t have an option to come back.

I'd say you hit the nail on the head. He was out of options.

PendingTransaction
08-07-2022, 12:28 PM
I'm sure that Malik was given this script and placed at the mic. Based on the comments and the media coverage, Lane is feeling like a genius.

Pancho
08-07-2022, 12:53 PM
I am sure the Train guy will be very impressed when Heath does the slacking on plays. Will he get 20-25 receiving opportunities this season? Any early idea if he will make the 2 deep ?

viverlibre
08-07-2022, 01:57 PM
I am sure the Train guy will be very impressed when Heath does the slacking on plays. Will he get 20-25 receiving opportunities this season? Any early idea if he will make the 2 deep ?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was promised some amount of PT, at least initially.

was21
08-07-2022, 03:01 PM
Beleive me...he will

Dawgology
08-07-2022, 10:58 PM
Boy I wish I could divulge everything I know about this **** face.

HaggardDawg
08-08-2022, 07:16 AM
Boy I wish I could divulge everything I know about this **** face.

Do it

Coach34
08-08-2022, 08:27 AM
Usually I would be concerned over losing some talent- but not in this case. He will probably my fit in better over there. Let them deal with all that comes with him

TrapGame
08-08-2022, 08:37 AM
Usually I would be concerned over losing some talent- but not in this case. He will probably my fit in better over there. Let them deal with all that comes with him

Yep, I'm more concerned about losing Polk. He was our Crabtree last season. If Ra Ra or Calvin can step it up a little we'll be alright though.

basedog
08-08-2022, 08:46 AM
Always, next man up. Heath never lived up to the hype, has talent but not in his head.

Commercecomet24
08-08-2022, 09:03 AM

This. What little he gives you is not worth the baggage he comes with.

basedog
08-08-2022, 10:33 AM
This. What little he gives you is not worth the baggage he comes with.

Is your son ready to play this fall?

PikeDawg15
08-09-2022, 04:50 PM
I would be lying if I said I wouldnt want him on the team this season but. It isnt a big loss like with Polk.

Hopefully some of the transfers step up huge this season but its great having austin williams back as a short- medium yardage receiver, he may not can make much happen after the play but he has good hands and is reliable

PikeDawg15
08-09-2022, 04:51 PM
anybody heard anything about marquez dortch?

Ive heard a lot of good things about zavion thomas but nothing about dortch

Tripp McNeely
08-09-2022, 05:07 PM
I would be lying if I said I wouldnt want him on the team this season but. It isnt a big loss like with Polk.

Hopefully some of the transfers step up huge this season but its great having austin williams back as a short- medium yardage receiver, he may not can make much happen after the play but he has good hands and is reliable

No way in hell you can call Malik Heath "reliable"!! The talent is there, but he is worlds away from being reliable!