PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Win #5 edition

Coach34
11-24-2013, 11:34 AM
1. It's always ugly and gray when we play UPig. Just a nasty day every year to play a nasty team. Hogs and slop. Cold weather.

2. The game went about as expected for me- I knew UPig, with 2 weeks to get ready, would have a decent gameplan. They also had the advantage of playing in their state. We had just played SC, A&M, and Bammer- and came out a tad flat. But that is football. They key is getting into the game, waking up, and making the plays necessary to get out of there with a win. And we did that. SC didn't vs Tennessee, Georgia didn't vs Vandy, and so on.

3. I thought Mullen coached a good game yesterday. He certainly gets grief for the FG unit- but we have to use what we have. Cole Carter got leveraged on the one they blocked- he's got to get his tall ass lower- that's just laziness. Play-calling was good- but a few calls that make go hmmmm as usual. The middle pass call to Perkins was greatness, as was the QB power to start OT. I thought the 3rd and 32 call after Russell got hurt was a solid call. Good run by Jameon to give us a shot at a FG. Didnt like the sequence in goalline where we got the FG blocked- ran 2 plays into the boundary, causing 3rd and long- not good. But the 3rd down call was good- Russell just didnt lead the WR.

4. Tyler Russell didn't have a hurt shoulder coming into the game yesterday. And it really makes me wonder about the Bama game. He had his normal zip and everything on the ball. However, he came out yesterday, played hard and had a pretty good day. He played about as well as he could play. He held the ball too long on our 1st drive and gave up a drive-killing sack, and then was late delivering the ball on the corner route that got picked. He also didnt throw the ball to the pylon for Jameon to run to in the end zone- would have been an easy TD. Instead he tried to force it in sooner, and Jameon caught it OOB. We settle for the FG there and it gets blocked. Other than that, Russell played a solid football game and was a good leader yesterday. I hate he got hurt, they were having some trouble getting that shoulder back in. No way he plays Thursday.

5. I hope Perkins is unable to play Thursday. I appreciate his effort and toughness over these years. I think Saturday's catch and run for a TD was the perfect way to end his State career. Always go out on top. JRob is simply the better player. He finally got the 10+ carries in a game and delivered a 100 yd day. He needs 20+ carries vs Ole Misses. We have to have that. Perkins no. JRob yes

6. All you Milton-lovers saw yet again why he doesnt play. Having JRob sitting out the 1st half hurt badly and cost us 7. With Aeris coming in- Milton may never get another carry.

7. RoJo played big yesterday. He played grown-ass man football. He punished a couple of DB's by just running over their ass. I loved it. Another good day for Jameon. MoJo had a decent day and even worked hard blocking. Wilson showed his inexperience again and really put us in a tough spot with the push-off. Fabulous Fred Ross dropped what would have been the biggest play of his career. Freshmen gonna Freshmen though.

8. We had to play alot of plays on D in the 1st Q half the 2nd. They ran 29 plays on their first 3 possessions. They were going unbalanced on the OL (having 4 guys to one side instead of 3 or 2) and using other formations to outflank us. It gave us some problems early- but once we got adjusted, they only ran 12 plays on their next 3 possessions.

9. Collins made a few good playcalls and we simply missed tackles on their RB's- Richie and Bennie come to mind immediately. Bielema is going to get the Ground and Pound going in R-Kansas. But it is still going to take him a little longer to do it. He needs to find a QB and some WR's to stretch defenses. But one thing he does have is RB's.

10. Skinner may not be healthy yet, but Bennie looked better than he did on defense yesterday.

11. Thank you Denico for doing your job on their fake punt. Nice work. The whole group played it well- but Denico's play blew it up from the start.

12. The CB blitz finally didnt give up a TD- just a 12 yard completion on 3rd and 7. Way To Go CB blitz!!!! (Did I mention it's the worst defensive call in football????)

The Golden Egg:

Here it is- the Egg Bowl. Teams have flipped roles this year. They have had a decent season and we are fighting for a bowl game. Nugh NOT Freeze put it best- the difference in Ole Miss and State this year is that OM came back and scored vs Vandy- and State couldnt hold on vs Auburn. Both teams are that close to being 6-5.

I do wonder about Mullen telling the world yesterday that Dakota is out until the bowl game. That is so unlike Mullen to just give that info out, because as you know, we dont talk about injuries. But Tyler is out fo sho, and that leaves us with true Freshmen Damien Williams. I've said it over and over- the kid is a winner. And all he has done in the last 2 games is put the ball on the money vs Bama to our WR's, and then take it to the house vs UPig to seal a win. Guys like Damien dont understand that they dont have quite as much ability as others, or that they are just a true Freshman- they think they are going to go out and perform like a champion every time they walk out there. It's in their DNA. I understand that mentality because I was the same way when I played. Those guys are a pleasure to coach also because they listen, they work hard to know everything, and do what's expected because they know that they have to so they can perform their best. And because they have done all that, they are very confident they will do what is necessary to win. I'm glad we have a guy like Williams playing for us.

I think it says alot about Mullen and where our program is now that we think we can win Thursday with our 3rd string QB.
I expect us to play Thursday with the same fire that Bama had trouble withstanding vs us.
I expect us to do whatever it takes to get a win Thursday. It's a must-win for us.
And Coach Mullen- RTGDF

Come together Dawgs for these next 5 days and lets make this Thanksgiving a miserable ****ing experience for Freezus and Rebels errywhere.

Lloyd Christmas
11-24-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm so scared that I'm going to see Perkins slip and fall three or four times before we see JRob. I appreciate what Perkins has done for us..but Dan utilizes him incorrectly 50% of the time.

gravedigger
11-24-2013, 11:47 AM
I agree on all things except #5

Perkins needs to play but not in the role he has. He needs to be the game to do just what he did on the score. Get out of the backfield and draw the coverage of a linebacker or bring in a safety leaving the deep ball open for a receiver.

If we run him between the tackles even one more time I'm going to scream.

MetEdDawg
11-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Come together Dawgs for these next 5 days and lets make this Thanksgiving a miserable ****ing experience for Freezus and Rebels errywhere.

I agree with everything you said, but this is the big point to me. No giving away tickets to OM fans. No skipping the game in protest. We HAVE to come together these next few days and just let the cards fall where they may and evaluate afterwards. No talking about firings or hirings. This could be program changing for us if we win. Get to 6-6 for 4 straight bowls, Egg Bowl victory, and we stop their momentum most importantly. And we would do it with our 3rd string true freshman QB. Lot of positive things could come from this so we need to quit the shit slinging amongst ourselves and support Mullen, the team, and MSU 100% for this Egg Bowl.

DawgsBite34
11-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Hit the nail on the head. The CB blitz has never worked for us have no idea why Collins calls it. Mullen has finally started coaching with a little fire, although it looked at times yesterday like this team was totally uninterested, especially to start the game. We were flat no two ways about it. Im with you in thinking I have a hunch Dak Prescott will be on the field Thursday night. Either way you can just feel it in the air man, Davis Wade will be rocking, all the intangibles favor us, a seasons worth of almost's and what if's all that frustration put into a TSUN team that's overconfident even coming off a loss. I cant wait.

Tbonewannabe
11-24-2013, 11:57 AM
1. It's always ugly and gray when we play UPig. Just a nasty day every year to play a nasty team. Hogs and slop. Cold weather.

2. The game went about as expected for me- I knew UPig, with 2 weeks to get ready, would have a decent gameplan. They also had the advantage of playing in their state. We had just played SC, A&M, and Bammer- and came out a tad flat. But that is football. They key is getting into the game, waking up, and making the plays necessary to get out of there with a win. And we did that. SC didn't vs Tennessee, Georgia didn't vs Vandy, and so on.

3. I thought Mullen coached a good game yesterday. He certainly gets grief for the FG unit- but we have to use what we have. Cole Carter got leveraged on the one they blocked- he's got to get his tall ass lower- that's just laziness. Play-calling was good- but a few calls that make go hmmmm as usual. The middle pass call to Perkins was greatness, as was the QB power to start OT. I thought the 3rd and 32 call after Russell got hurt was a solid call. Good run by Jameon to give us a shot at a FG. Didnt like the sequence in goalline where we got the FG blocked- ran 2 plays into the boundary, causing 3rd and long- not good. But the 3rd down call was good- Russell just didnt lead the WR.

4. Tyler Russell didn't have a hurt shoulder coming into the game yesterday. And it really makes me wonder about the Bama game. He had his normal zip and everything on the ball. However, he came out yesterday, played hard and had a pretty good day. He played about as well as he could play. He held the ball too long on our 1st drive and gave up a drive-killing sack, and then was late delivering the ball on the corner route that got picked. He also didnt throw the ball to the pylon for Jameon to run to in the end zone- would have been an easy TD. Instead he tried to force it in sooner, and Jameon caught it OOB. We settle for the FG there and it gets blocked. Other than that, Russell played a solid football game and was a good leader yesterday. I hate he got hurt, they were having some trouble getting that shoulder back in. No way he plays Thursday.

5. I hope Perkins is unable to play Thursday. I appreciate his effort and toughness over these years. I think Saturday's catch and run for a TD was the perfect way to end his State career. Always go out on top. JRob is simply the better player. He finally got the 10+ carries in a game and delivered a 100 yd day. He needs 20+ carries vs Ole Misses. We have to have that. Perkins no. JRob yes

6. All you Milton-lovers saw yet again why he doesnt play. Having JRob sitting out the 1st half hurt badly and cost us 7. With Aeris coming in- Milton may never get another carry.

7. RoJo played big yesterday. He played grown-ass man football. He punished a couple of DB's by just running over their ass. I loved it. Another good day for Jameon. MoJo had a decent day and even worked hard blocking. Wilson showed his inexperience again and really put us in a tough spot with the push-off. Fabulous Fred Ross dropped what would have been the biggest play of his career. Freshmen gonna Freshmen though.

8. We had to play alot of plays on D in the 1st Q half the 2nd. They ran 29 plays on their first 3 possessions. They were going unbalanced on the OL (having 4 guys to one side instead of 3 or 2) and using other formations to outflank us. It gave us some problems early- but once we got adjusted, they only ran 12 plays on their next 3 possessions.

9. Collins made a few good playcalls and we simply missed tackles on their RB's- Richie and Bennie come to mind immediately. Bielema is going to get the Ground and Pound going in R-Kansas. But it is still going to take him a little longer to do it. He needs to find a QB and some WR's to stretch defenses. But one thing he does have is RB's.

10. Skinner may not be healthy yet, but Bennie looked better than he did on defense yesterday.

11. Thank you Denico for doing your job on their fake punt. Nice work. The whole group played it well- but Denico's play blew it up from the start.

12. The CB blitz finally didnt give up a TD- just a 12 yard completion on 3rd and 7. Way To Go CB blitz!!!! (Did I mention it's the worst defensive call in football????)

The Golden Egg:

Here it is- the Egg Bowl. Teams have flipped roles this year. They have had a decent season and we are fighting for a bowl game. Nugh NOT Freeze put it best- the difference in Ole Miss and State this year is that OM came back and scored vs Vandy- and State couldnt hold on vs Auburn. Both teams are that close to being 6-5.

I do wonder about Mullen telling the world yesterday that Dakota is out until the bowl game. That is so unlike Mullen to just give that info out, because as you know, we dont talk about injuries. But Tyler is out fo sho, and that leaves us with true Freshmen Damien Williams. I've said it over and over- the kid is a winner. And all he has done in the last 2 games is put the ball on the money vs Bama to our WR's, and then take it to the house vs UPig to seal a win. Guys like Damien dont understand that they dont have quite as much ability as others, or that they are just a true Freshman- they think they are going to go out and perform like a champion every time they walk out there. It's in their DNA. I understand that mentality because I was the same way when I played. Those guys are a pleasure to coach also because they listen, they work hard to know everything, and do what's expected because they know that they have to so they can perform their best. And because they have done all that, they are very confident they will do what is necessary to win. I'm glad we have a guy like Williams playing for us.

I think it says alot about Mullen and where our program is now that we think we can win Thursday with our 3rd string QB.
I expect us to play Thursday with the same fire that Bama had trouble withstanding vs us.
I expect us to do whatever it takes to get a win Thursday. It's a must-win for us.
And Coach Mullen- RTGDF

Mullen said on post game that Tyler was out due to his hurt throwing shoulder. He even talked about how he couldn't throw all fastballs that there would be some changeups. That is probably why he came out when he did. Bama DBs would eat up a QB that couldn't put any zip on the ball. DWill gave us the best chance to win at the end. I am sure Tyler will do whatever he has to do to be ready for Thursday.

messageboardsuperhero
11-24-2013, 12:01 PM

LOL, humility must not be in your vocabulary.

Just kidding, I see your point. Damien is a gammer.

thf24
11-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Don't you think the wind could have had something to do with those errant throws you mentioned in #4?

I agree with everything else. I was very impressed by RoJo. It looks like he's finally got it all put together upstairs, and I think he's going to have a monster season next year.

Dawgface
11-24-2013, 12:14 PM

And the way he post on a message board.

Coach34
11-24-2013, 12:16 PM

No, I just understand the mentality. I always thought that I was going to make the play necessary to win. Always wanted the coach to run behind me on offense, always thought I'd get the big hit in baseball, always wanted to be on the mound with the game on the line, etc...Sometimes I was successful, sometimes I wasnt. But I never doubted myself.

I see that in Damien. I enjoyed coaching those types of guys. I never had a QB that was that way- but I had some RB's and WR's like that. Had one offensive lineman. Special guys- regardless of their actual talent level

TopconDog
11-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Skinner needs to sit vs ole miss,he is just to slow,we need all the speed we got on the field thursday

BeastMan
11-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Agree with just about all of that

BulldogBear
11-24-2013, 12:45 PM

Yep. It actually got colder as the game went on or at least it felt that way. When the sun really came out in the 4th it was nice. Sat in the same endzone we played the OT end (well the SE corner of it anyway) and got a closeup view of all the action!

Actually I wasn't just real impressed with gameplan. It was okay, but usually this bunch does a much better job of initial gameplan and then struggles more in the area of adjustments

Tyler played well for a guy with a hurt shoulder and I'm proud of the way he ran. He got the job done. In his defense, I don't know if it showed on TV, but on his first sack, Lewis fell down after making a cut that would have likely been a TD had been on his feet and ball been there. That may have even been the plan, but he had to look for someone else. There was once when Perkins came uncovered out of the backfield in first half. Sign. Neither the defense nor Russell saw him streaking alone toward the endzone. I called the FG block to my neighbors. And even told them we would miss one before the game was over. I probably shouldn't be so pessimistic but oh well. With Dak we would have clobbered them. I wish we would go under center in short yardage.

See above reference on first sack. Somebode mentioned something about the wind affecting kicks. Perhaps, but supposedly the wind was supposed to be blowing in my face (South Endzone) and I didn't feel a thing. It is a bowl. It may affect kickoffs still. And punts, but I don't think a FG gets up high enough in my opinion.

Were you not dissapointed though that on the next to last drive we were and could gash them 4-7 yds a carry and we killed by thinking play action pass instead of just cramming into the endzone 5 yards at a time and winning the ballgame outright? We are automatic for a drive killing, momentum negating, play call every game. I understand they were setting up the play action pass. So did Arkansas. NO ONE was even close to being open on that play. I even told my nieghbor that the next first down would be a play action pass and would see how stupid or not Arkansas is. They weren't.

Momentum is a dangerous thing in football. If we score there, we probably win by 17-24 pts.

Was right there for Ross's drop. It looked beautiful the whole way. The defender made a good play but he still could've had it! dang!

It was scary at times, especially late when we were running out of time. If Arkansas develops a passing game to open up that run, they are gonna be deadly in a couple of years.

Said that above! Just read this one!

I guess. I trust your judgment Coach.

I had just said that they would be stupid to try a fake punt here. It may have cost them the game. Go Denico!

The last time I liked it the CB was Byrdsong. That should tell you something.

The Golden Egg:

How good it is for DW's confidence to lead a team to an SEC OT road victory. We may not win with him at the helm, but the game in LR had to help.

And Coach Mullen- RTGDF <THIS
And Defense needs to have a shutdown game.

My comments are in BOLD above

HailState39110
11-24-2013, 12:46 PM
1 No way he plays Thursday.

Tyler will play Thursday. You could tell he definitely separated his shoulder, but you can play with a separated shoulder . If he goes down on it, Im sure it will pop right back out though.

Coach34
11-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Tyler will play Thursday. You could tell he definitely separated his shoulder, but you can play with a separated shoulder . If he goes down on it, Im sure it will pop right back out though.

It's hard to play when the separated shoulder is your throwing shoulder. He is gonna be sore.

hailmari
11-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Yeah, that shoulder is gonna make him miserable for at least a couple days, but it is possible. I'm not expecting it on a short week, though.

I seen it dawg
11-24-2013, 01:59 PM

When he comes in to take a knee on the last 3 plays in victory formation.

DawgsBite34
11-24-2013, 02:37 PM
When he comes in to take a knee on the last 3 plays in victory formation.

That would be a great move by Mullen, then again if we have the ball on the 5 yard line we better be trying to score again. I wanna run it up as high as possible

Sienfield
11-24-2013, 03:54 PM
CDM said Dak wouldn't play till the bowl game. We play in the Egg Bowl Thursday. See what he did there?

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2013, 04:02 PM
CDM said Dak wouldn't play till the bowl game. We play in the Egg Bowl Thursday. See what he did there?

I refuse to believe that a guy that can't realize that Josh Robinson is his best RB, could possibly be this clever and smart. It would shock me if Dan was this witty.

dawgoneyall
11-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Generally agree....but you are so wrong on some......

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2013, 04:24 PM
My reaction if Dak jogs to the huddle on Thursday night

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/enthusiasm.gif

justwin
11-24-2013, 06:27 PM

If playing solid or as well as he could play means that 4-5 perfectly thrown td passes that were dropped, then hey that's ok and let's continue to question his toughness and not give him credit. The long one to Lewis where he falls, the perfect one to both Malcolm early & holloway late plus the one to Ross. Dude, it's okay to admit Tylers a dam good player and Mullen used him terribly while here...and then you go and praise Williams for the exact same thing Tyler did in hs and even on the college level....funny

You're right on everything else for the most part

Coach34
11-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Tyler underthrew the ball to Tubby- who waiting on it to get there. The pass to Holloway was barely overthrown- would have been a really good catch for him to make it.

He played a solid game for sure. Tyler has been a solid SEC player at State. Once his college eligibility is done- he will have played his last snap. He is not some super-talent that was wasted like some of you think.