PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Brandon Football and Family

Really Clark?
08-01-2022, 10:24 PM
Saw sad news about the Brandon football player. Prayers to family, friends, teammates and classmates

parabrave
08-01-2022, 10:26 PM
Saw sad news about the Brandon football player. Prayers to family, friends, teammates and classmates

Well what happened?

Really Clark?
08-01-2022, 11:03 PM
A player passed away at practice today.

parabrave
08-01-2022, 11:23 PM
Dam.

Johnson85
08-02-2022, 08:37 AM

Damn. Heat related? Or something random?

Doing football practice in August really is a damn roll of the dice. Even with coaches being responsible, you are going to have kids with latent health issues that you just don't know about. I also wonder whether it's more dangerous now because kids are spending less time working in the heat leading up to practice. In the summer leading up to two a days, we'd have agility drills outside, and then a lot of the players would go work outside, so even if it was hot as hell in August, most people were as acclimated as you were going to get.

And we were lucky in that we were a few years past it being somewhat accepted for a punishment for the team not being sharp in a drill to be cancelling a water break, which is really crazy to think about now.

parabrave
08-02-2022, 08:54 AM

Doing football practice in August really is a damn roll of the dice. Even with coaches being responsible, you are going to have kids with latent health issues that you just don't know about. I also wonder whether it's more dangerous now because kids are spending less time working in the heat leading up to practice. In the summer leading up to two a days, we'd have agility drills outside, and then a lot of the players would go work outside, so even if it was hot as hell in August, most people were as acclimated as you were going to get.

And we were lucky in that we were a few years past it being somewhat accepted for a punishment for the team not being sharp in a drill to be cancelling a water break, which is really crazy to think about now.

Back in the 70s we either worked all summer doing swamp reclamation or working on Shrimp boats for the point boys. Even though we were in shape the 2 a days were a beoutch. And one water break that was a hose attached to a spigot, for the entire team/

DownwardDawg
08-02-2022, 09:37 AM
Back in the 70s we either worked all summer doing swamp reclamation or working on Shrimp boats for the point boys. Even though we were in shape the 2 a days were a beoutch. And one water break that was a hose attached to a spigot, for the entire team/

Yeah. It seems like we have this discussion on here almost every summer. This is a serious problem for high school kids. They stay locked away in air conditioning all summer playing Xbox and watching videos on their phones. Then they are expected to get out in 100 degree southern heat and humidity and practice football for hours.

Really Clark?
08-02-2022, 09:38 AM

From what I read the corner didn't give a cause of death immediately and they are doing an autopsy.

Saltydog
08-02-2022, 09:50 AM

Horrible, just horrible. Just seems like we hear of this more and more but maybe that's just me. I don't recall things like this happening back when I played but that was in the 80's and we had two-a-days back then.

parabrave
08-02-2022, 10:05 AM
Yeah. It seems like we have this discussion on here almost every summer. This is a serious problem for high school kids. They stay locked away in air conditioning all summer playing Xbox and watching videos on their phones. Then they are expected to get out in 100 degree southern heat and humidity and practice football for hours.

Problem is that these kids do workout. Heck they workout more than we ever did, in the weightroom. They will spend hours doing squats bench presses and deadlifts. But get them on a blocking sled and they won't last 5 seconds. They need to be out in the sun sweating and now with school going year round this will never happen.

Jack Lambert
08-02-2022, 10:07 AM
Horrible, just horrible. Just seems like we hear of this more and more but maybe that's just me. I don't recall things like this happening back when I played but that was in the 80's and we had two-a-days back then.

I'm a 80's kid. I worked out side on family farm all summer so when football came it was not big deal.

Coach34
08-02-2022, 10:19 AM
Wonder if this is another case of a vaccinated youngster dropping dead

DownwardDawg
08-02-2022, 11:26 AM

I don't know but kids were dropping dead every year before the virus.

Extendedcab
08-02-2022, 11:29 AM
I don't remember kids dropping dead in the 60s and 70s, when I grew up. They may have and we just never heard about it since that was the days before 1000 TV channels and the Internet. If it is the case that kids did not drop dead in times past, then what has changed? Is it too much indoor time as a kid, contaminated environment or other?

Thoughts?

SteelCurtain74
08-02-2022, 11:55 AM
From the kid's picture on Facebook, he was a big boy. Very sad situation.

R2Dawg
08-02-2022, 12:00 PM

Yes this is a major problem. It can take up to two weeks for your body to adjust to high heat conditions. There should be a ramp up before full two a day fall camp is rolled out.

One problem is leadership. Many coaches get in their grill right off the bat yelling no pain no gain when a serious problem may be happening. I have had a life long issue with my shoulder from playing thru the injury with the no pain no gain in my ear. No kid will give in with that kind of pressure.

It is a fine line for sure where there is a time when you have to push your team/players but you also have to know your players. If a 110 percenter is falling back he is likely hurt not just not giving effort. Coaches and players should know their kids too.

confucius say
08-02-2022, 12:23 PM
Not sure if this was heat related or not.

But regardless, I've been saying for a few years that HS and college football and baseball should be pushed back a month each. At least 2-3 weeks.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-02-2022, 12:51 PM

my thoughts as well and it probably is. Myocarditis is a problem for some kids who necessarily got the vaccine. I know one kid in national guard who had to leave because he refused to getting the vaccine due to 2 of his friends dying after getting it. Both under the age of 25.

MaroonFlounder
08-02-2022, 02:44 PM
I think the high yesterday wasn't even 90 degrees.

They are going to say it was heat related. I don't buy it.

The shots killed my aunt. Too many people who are otherwise healthy are losing their lives soon after the shots.

At this point it should not be taboo to question the safety of the shots. I think it depends on blood type/DNA structure as far as who suffers from adverse effects. Studies should be ongoing, at least I hope so.

Johnson85
08-02-2022, 02:44 PM
Yes this is a major problem. It can take up to two weeks for your body to adjust to high heat conditions. There should be a ramp up before full two a day fall camp is rolled out.

One problem is leadership. Many coaches get in their grill right off the bat yelling no pain no gain when a serious problem may be happening. I have had a life long issue with my shoulder from playing thru the injury with the no pain no gain in my ear. No kid will give in with that kind of pressure.

It is a fine line for sure where there is a time when you have to push your team/players but you also have to know your players. If a 110 percenter is falling back he is likely hurt not just not giving effort. Coaches and players should know their kids too.

When I was in high school, the rules actually discouraged the coaches from easing into the heat. Because you couldn't have organized practice until a certain date, but then you were allowed to have two a days. So you couldn't start earlier and ease them into it. Easing it into it just means losing practice time.

As I said, that was somewhat mitigated by having to do agility drills (ropes, ladders, cone drills, etc.) after lifting weights, although I think the coaches were at least breaking the spirit of the rules on that, because while they weren't officially coaching us, somebody was in the weightroom for safety purposes and somebody was always in eye shot of the agility drills so they could tell if people were loafing or just not doing all their reps/sets.

Now, I'm sure there are conflicted between needing some of the heaviest kids to do the most work to get into game shape while also being the ones most susceptible to heat related health issues.

parabrave
08-02-2022, 02:53 PM
In 1978, graduated in 79, our 1st week was in helmets, shoulder pads and shorts. Lots of non contact running and blocking sled drills.

Liverpooldawg
08-02-2022, 03:08 PM
I don't remember kids dropping dead in the 60s and 70s, when I grew up. They may have and we just never heard about it since that was the days before 1000 TV channels and the Internet. If it is the case that kids did not drop dead in times past, then what has changed? Is it too much indoor time as a kid, contaminated environment or other?

Thoughts?

HS Football started in mid-September back then.

Liverpooldawg
08-02-2022, 03:10 PM
my thoughts as well and it probably is. Myocarditis is a problem for some kids who necessarily got the vaccine. I know one kid in national guard who had to leave because he refused to getting the vaccine due to 2 of his friends dying after getting it. Both under the age of 25.

Good grief. This has happened nearly every year for the last 20 years at least. Football starts too early now. Most of those turned out to have some kind of previously undetected heart problem that was brought to a head by the heat. I suspect that's what this one will be as well.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-02-2022, 04:01 PM
Something has changed. Because you would think these things would happen less today. We are more educated on hydration, nutrition, etc. today. Our coaches in the 80's thought water caused cramping, so we weren't allowed to drink any during practices. I'm thinking it is lack of heat acclimation, i.e. too much sitting in the AC all summer. But I don't know.

Extendedcab
08-02-2022, 04:08 PM

But pre-season practice started in August - the hottest month in MS.

Johnson85
08-02-2022, 04:26 PM
Something has changed. Because you would think these things would happen less today. We are more educated on hydration, nutrition, etc. today. Our coaches in the 80's thought water caused cramping, so we weren't allowed to drink any during practices. I'm thinking it is lack of heat acclimation, i.e. too much sitting in the AC all summer. But I don't know.

I'm not sure that anything has changed because I'm not sure more kids are dying today. I think you just didn't necessarily hear about deaths pre-internet unless it was at a school you played against. But if it has, an obvious candidate would just be more obese players. I assume the percent of obese players hasn't shot up like it has in the general population of kids, but surely it has moved up some.

The other obvious candidate, as mentioned, would just be lack of acclimation to the heat because players spend less time outdoors.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-02-2022, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure that anything has changed because I'm not sure more kids are dying today. I think you just didn't necessarily hear about deaths pre-internet unless it was at a school you played against. .

That's a valid point.

Liverpooldawg
08-02-2022, 06:44 PM
But pre-season practice started in August - the hottest month in MS.

And it starts in July now.

Cowbell
08-02-2022, 06:55 PM
I feel like we have prayed for Brandon over the loss of a young man for the last three years (others were car wrecks maybe?) - super tough on young people - prayers for them.

R2Dawg
08-02-2022, 08:17 PM
When I was in high school, the rules actually discouraged the coaches from easing into the heat. Because you couldn't have organized practice until a certain date, but then you were allowed to have two a days. So you couldn't start earlier and ease them into it. Easing it into it just means losing practice time.

As I said, that was somewhat mitigated by having to do agility drills (ropes, ladders, cone drills, etc.) after lifting weights, although I think the coaches were at least breaking the spirit of the rules on that, because while they weren't officially coaching us, somebody was in the weightroom for safety purposes and somebody was always in eye shot of the agility drills so they could tell if people were loafing or just not doing all their reps/sets.

Now, I'm sure there are conflicted between needing some of the heaviest kids to do the most work to get into game shape while also being the ones most susceptible to heat related health issues.

My getting your body used to the heat is what should happen. That can be done in other ways not just in full practice times. Like many have said, many of these kids are not in shape to hit it hard in the heat.

Lord McBuckethead
08-02-2022, 10:50 PM
It happened in the 80s, you just didn?t automatically hear about it within hours of it happening across the state all instantly. News and info moves way way way faster as of 1994.

Coach34
08-03-2022, 12:18 AM

That?s not true. I know since the 70?s football started the 1st Monday of August and you played your first game on the 4th Friday of August.

99jc
08-03-2022, 04:48 AM

i remember football camp in tupelo in the late 70's in august where half of us almost passed out from the heat and all they did was give us Gatorade and salt pills it was brutal. I believe air conditioning plays a vital role in this now.

bulldawg28
08-03-2022, 06:15 AM
I don't know but kids were dropping dead every year before the virus.

Correct

Jack Lambert
08-03-2022, 08:09 AM
Probably should say the prayers for Pearl as well. My son said he just transferred into Brandon from Pearl. No one in the school really knew him.

Saltydog
08-03-2022, 08:13 AM
It happened in the 80s, you just didn?t automatically hear about it within hours of it happening across the state all instantly. News and info moves way way way faster as of 1994.

You're absolutely correct about news and information spreading faster but I also think there's some truth in Lambert's statement as well. It's a generational thing.

DownwardDawg
08-03-2022, 09:11 AM

Yes. See my post in this thread. Kids aren't doing the same stuff these days. We all stayed outside all summer. Kids today stay inside and while they do workout, they sit most of the time playing games and watching their phones.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-03-2022, 09:36 AM
Good grief. This has happened nearly every year for the last 20 years at least. Football starts too early now. Most of those turned out to have some kind of previously undetected heart problem that was brought to a head by the heat. I suspect that's what this one will be as well.

and some of you will die on the Vaccine is fine hill. IF the damn vaccine is so damn good why are there booster after booster coming out? It's not a damn vaccine at all and you are welcome to view the VARS data to see that there has been WAYYYYYYY more complications and DEATHS from this "vaccine" than any other real vaccines. I guess my buddies friends who died had previous heart conditions as well huh? NOPE they didn't! He wouldn't have stood his ground to the point of getting discharged from the service if he thought they did.

ScoobaDawg
08-03-2022, 10:04 AM
and some of you will die on the Vaccine is fine hill. IF the damn vaccine is so damn good why are there booster after booster coming out? It's not a damn vaccine at all and you are welcome to view the VARS data to see that there has been WAYYYYYYY more complications and DEATHS from this "vaccine" than any other real vaccines. I guess my buddies friends who died had previous heart conditions as well huh? NOPE they didn't! He wouldn't have stood his ground to the point of getting discharged from the service if he thought they did.

Drop it. We ARE NOT GOING to Debate this.....

Liverpooldawg
08-03-2022, 10:05 AM
That?s not true. I know since the 70?s football started the 1st Monday of August and you played your first game on the 4th Friday of August.

When I was a little kid in the 60s it started in mid September. I think it stayed that way till at least the mid 70s. My Dad was an ex coach and still was announcing then. Fact remains if they REALLY wanted to do something about the heat in football they would push the season back at LEAST a month. This farce of starting the games at 7:30 instead of 7 is just that, a farce. Practice is where almost all the problems happen.

PGHBulldogBG
08-03-2022, 10:05 AM
I got the first two shots but I don?t plan on getting anymore for COVID. I had it in January and had minor symptoms but it was more a cold. Once again, this is a case of Republican extremes and Democrat extremes looking for arguments. I think the vaccine would?ve been more beneficial for the original COVID but after the mutations it weakened. I think some people might have reactions but I know a ton of people that got the shot and nothing happened.

Johnson85
08-03-2022, 10:31 AM
When I was a little kid in the 60s it started in mid September. I think it stayed that way till at least the mid 70s. My Dad was an ex coach and still was announcing then. Fact remains if they REALLY wanted to do something about the heat in football they would push the season back at LEAST a month. This farce of starting the games at 7:30 instead of 7 is just that, a farce. Practice is where almost all the problems happen.

Moving football back a month isn't going to happen. I think it would probably help to practice earlier and shorter, but then you're taking up even more of the coaches and players summers. Maybe they could allow coaches to do mandatory conditioning throughout the summer, provided it's structured where students can at least have two full weeks off if they want it. Require that the mandatory conditioning be no more than an hour, no pads, and has to be finished before 10 or start after 4.

Alternatively (or in addition), they could just put more restrictions on temperature. May not be feasible to prevent practice in hot conditions, but maybe limit the time of practice if heat index is above a certain amount. I assume teams already more or less practice early morning or late afternoon, but maybe put requirements around that to keep people out of the hottest time of day.

DownwardDawg
08-03-2022, 12:16 PM
I got the first two shots but I don?t plan on getting anymore for COVID. I had it in January and had minor symptoms but it was more a cold. Once again, this is a case of Republican extremes and Democrat extremes looking for arguments. I think the vaccine would?ve been more beneficial for the original COVID but after the mutations it weakened. I think some people might have reactions but I know a ton of people that got the shot and nothing happened.

Due to cancer treatments and oncologist recommendations, I've had both shots and a booster. Since then I've had confirmed Covid twice and another suspected case. Needless to say, I'm done with any shots for Covid.

DownwardDawg
08-03-2022, 12:18 PM

Agreed

Dawg2003
08-03-2022, 12:26 PM

Myocarditis and pericarditis are more common after getting Covid than getting the vaccine. There is a minute chance of getting myocarditis after the mRNA vaccine, but it's extremely small.

Liverpooldawg
08-03-2022, 01:00 PM
Myocarditis and pericarditis are more common after getting Covid than getting the vaccine. There is a minute chance of getting myocarditis after the mRNA vaccine, but it's extremely small.

YEP.

confucius say
08-03-2022, 01:08 PM
I just want baseball pushed back to at least first of March. First month of baseball season is in the winter and it's brutal

Goldendawg
08-03-2022, 03:27 PM
Early 70's, we practiced 2 a days in August on a mainly dirt practice field with some gravel with sled work involved. Very few water breaks. Lot also served as parking lot for student vehicles. Students show up August 4th in my county for classes and temperatures are brutal for first few football games. Never understand MS schools starting in early August and paying for ac in hottest month of summer. Should start in September. Prayers to this young man's family, friends, teammates, and all involved.

starkvegasdawg
08-03-2022, 04:10 PM

My son's school had "voluntary" workouts through late June and most of July and mandatory started last week or so. And that was after the spring workouts in early May.

Dawgology
08-03-2022, 05:06 PM
My son's school had "voluntary" workouts through late June and most of July and mandatory started last week or so. And that was after the spring workouts in early May.

Same. My son has been going three hours a day, 4 days a week, since school let out in May. They’ve been conditioning all summer.

Johnson85
08-04-2022, 09:27 AM
Same. My son has been going three hours a day, 4 days a week, since school let out in May. They’ve been conditioning all summer.

Damn. I think we did weights that you could finish in about an hour if you were diligent, maybe a little longer, and then probably 30 minutes of conditioning outside. But our coaches had to account for summer jobs. They already had to take turns closing up at 7:00.

parabrave
08-04-2022, 10:52 AM
The conditioning is great for these kids but give them a shovel a wheelbarrow and 5 yards of dirt that has to be moved. Nothing beats that..

Coach34
08-04-2022, 11:59 AM

We went 3 days a week from 8-11am in June and then 4 days a week in July. As is the case with most schools- the ones that really need the conditioning and workouts hardly showed up.

Commercecomet24
08-04-2022, 12:46 PM
The conditioning is great for these kids but give them a shovel a wheelbarrow and 5 yards of dirt that has to be moved. Nothing beats that..

Or a bunch of hay to bail and load.

parabrave
08-04-2022, 01:38 PM
Or a bunch of hay to bail and load.

Hardest I ever got hit was by a farm boy from George county. I asked him what type of weight training did they do. He said loading bales of hay into a barn

Johnson85
08-04-2022, 01:44 PM
We went 3 days a week from 8-11am in June and then 4 days a week in July. As is the case with most schools- the ones that really need the conditioning and workouts hardly showed up.

So playing football and having an 8-5 summer job are basically incompatible? That sucks. I suspect a job would benefit a lot of kids more than playing football, and doing both seems better.

parabrave
08-04-2022, 02:00 PM
So playing football and having an 8-5 summer job are basically incompatible? That sucks. I suspect a job would benefit a lot of kids more than playing football, and doing both seems better.

Well year round schooling is about to those summer jobs,

Coach34
08-04-2022, 02:19 PM

hahaha- you serious Clark? A very small percentage of kids would get an 8-5 job even if someone would hire them. Nor would their parents make them altho some do work part-time. Our biggest problem is the kids staying up till 4-5am playing XBox online against their friends and then being too sleepy to come to workout.

That doesnt even include the kids playing 7 on 7 in the summer, traveling around the city, state, and other states....summer basketball for about 50 games 3-4 days a week, and your baseball players playing 60 games a summer.

Kids need to be kids. They have the rest of their life to be a worker bee to pay the government tax coffers so Pelosi can fly to the Far East to start a war on a whim

lastmajordog
08-04-2022, 03:33 PM
In the early 70?s it was three weeks of two a days if memory serves, still beat what most rural kids did on farms/mills all summer AND in between practices. And yes I remember having water break denied because Coach wasn?t happy and being fed salt pills.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-04-2022, 03:33 PM
hahaha- you serious Clark? A very small percentage of kids would get an 8-5 job even if someone would hire them. Nor would their parents make them altho some do work part-time. Our biggest problem is the kids staying up till 4-5am playing XBox online against their friends and then being too sleepy to come to workout.

That doesnt even include the kids playing 7 on 7 in the summer, traveling around the city, state, and other states....summer basketball for about 50 games 3-4 days a week, and your baseball players playing 60 games a summer.

Kids need to be kids. They have the rest of their life to be a worker bee to pay the government tax coffers so Pelosi can fly to the Far East to start a war on a whim

Our summer football conditioning and lifting was always at night in the 80's. Because everyone had a summer job during the day (usually an outdoor job). After conditioning you went home and went to bed. Two-a-day practices were usually 7-10 AM and 6-9 PM starting the first week in August. As a sophomore I was second string tailback so I had to scrimmage against first team defense. First week of full pads I carried the ball over 150 times in 5 days, all full contact, tackle to the ground against a mostly senior defense. I thought I would die. After 3 weeks of practice I became the starting strong safety, which meant no more scout team tailback. Our coach liked salt pills and said water would make you cramp up.

Edited to add: We practiced on the baseball outfield. And it didn't matter if it rained. I wasn't a baseball player, but I'm sure the outfielders got some bad hops from all the divots caused during 4 months of football practice. And the ground was hard as a rock with very little grass after about 1 week. Nobody watered a field back then like they do now.

parabrave
08-04-2022, 03:45 PM
Since we are reliving the glory days of 2 a days how of us went partying ala "Varsity Blues" and lived to regret it. Esp after your coach found out and decided to make an example of you and your CoHorts. Now I went to a catholic all boys school on the coast which did have an partying rep.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-04-2022, 03:49 PM
Since we are reliving the glory days of 2 a days how of us went partying ala "Varsity Blues" and lived to regret it. Esp after your coach found out and decided to make an example of you and your CoHorts. Now I went to a catholic all boys school on the coast which did have an partying rep.

The worst I saw was 2 players discussed rolling the yard of the band director. The football coach heard about it and told them not to do it. A few days later, they did it anyway. I've never witnessed anything like what he put them through the next week in practice. It was probably criminal.

parabrave
08-04-2022, 03:57 PM
The worst I saw was 2 players discussed rolling the yard of the band director. The football coach heard about it and told them not to do it. A few days later, they did it anyway. I've never witnessed anything like what he put them through the next week in practice. It was probably criminal.

Well in Biloxi there were a number of bars owned by Alumni and they treated us players really well.

Johnson85
08-04-2022, 04:07 PM
hahaha- you serious Clark? A very small percentage of kids would get an 8-5 job even if someone would hire them. Still lots of business owners that would love to hire somebody that will regularly show up for work for $12 an hour, even if it's just for the summer. And something like 30% of teenages still work. Even if 8-5 is not the norm, I would assume a lot of those jobs cross over some time between 8am and 11am. Looking back, I will say most jobs my friends worked were probably either early in and early out or late in and still out by 6, but late would have been more like 10am, not 1pm.

Nor would their parents make them altho some do work part-time. Our biggest problem is the kids staying up till 4-5am playing XBox online against their friends and then being too sleepy to come to workout.

Kids need to be kids. They have the rest of their life to be a worker bee to pay the government tax coffers so Pelosi can fly to the Far East to start a war on a whim Working part time in high school seems more like kids being kids than playing travel sports year round. It was fun working and then going out and having a little money to spend. I enjoyed playing sports but would not have wanted to spend every weekend driving and playing baseball in a different place but not really getting to enjoy it. And again, working is probably going to help them develop more than having a set time to do workouts or collecting a few dozen plastic "championship" rings. For the really affluent families, sure, do whatever. But if you aren't financially independent, why not have your kids work 15-20 hours a week and have their own spending money? When I was in high school, I would not have felt good about not working at all in the summer knowing that my parents were somewhat stressed about money. Surely a lot of these high school players are in the same position.

Not exactly related to the question about football, but I see families spending the equivalent of college tuition on travel ball and private lessons when they probably don't even have paid for cars. I think if I were their kids I'd probably rather have college paid for than spend 15 different weekends in the comfort inn on whatever interstate exchange is closest to the ball fields that particular weekend.

PGHBulldogBG
08-04-2022, 04:21 PM
I think whether a kid should work a summer job or not is a conversation that needs to take place between the kid and the parent. Personally, I would prefer my kid to work part time when they turn start high school and pick one sport to focus on. Some of these kids don?t maximize their potential in a sport because they are trying to juggle too much. Participating in 1 sport and working 16-20 hours a week gives a kid a sense of structure and appreciation for money. Obviously, their school work needs to come first though.

Dawgology
08-04-2022, 04:21 PM
Damn. I think we did weights that you could finish in about an hour if you were diligent, maybe a little longer, and then probably 30 minutes of conditioning outside. But our coaches had to account for summer jobs. They already had to take turns closing up at 7:00.

Yeah. This coach doesn?t give a damn about summer jobs. There are a lot of company owners around here that will work with the football players with that in mind over the summer though.

Coach34
08-04-2022, 04:56 PM
It?s a different world now thanks to technology.

We have an app in which the entire team is a part of for communication purposes about practice, school, or anything football related. I woke up the other morning to 77 messages that started at 3:48am about ?who up? and ?u ain?t nevah beat me in 2K?(NBA 2K on PS). 9 different players arguing as they play online at 4am.

We have 35 or so players- maybe 5-6 have jobs this summer. I promise you that total is not low because of summer workouts.

Coach34
08-04-2022, 05:04 PM
No
Still lots of business owners that would love to hire somebody that will regularly show up for work for $12 an hour, even if it's just for the summer. And something like 30% of teenages still work. Even if 8-5 is not the norm, I would assume a lot of those jobs cross over some time between 8am and 11am. Looking back, I will say most jobs my friends worked were probably either early in and early out or late in and still out by 6, but late would have been more like 10am, not 1pm.

Working part time in high school seems more like kids being kids than playing travel sports year round. It was fun working and then going out and having a little money to spend. I enjoyed playing sports but would not have wanted to spend every weekend driving and playing baseball in a different place but not really getting to enjoy it. And again, working is probably going to help them develop more than having a set time to do workouts or collecting a few dozen plastic "championship" rings. For the really affluent families, sure, do whatever. But if you aren't financially independent, why not have your kids work 15-20 hours a week and have their own spending money? When I was in high school, I would not have felt good about not working at all in the summer knowing that my parents were somewhat stressed about money. Surely a lot of these high school players are in the same position.

Not exactly related to the question about football, but I see families spending the equivalent of college tuition on travel ball and private lessons when they probably don't even have paid for cars. I think if I were their kids I'd probably rather have college paid for than spend 15 different weekends in the comfort inn on whatever interstate exchange is closest to the ball fields that particular weekend.

I just was raised differently. My “summer job” was playing baseball. We played about 60 games in the summer of legion ball. And that’s in the mid-80’s. I was not allowed to work until the summer after I graduated HS. It paid off as my 1st 2 years of college were free thanks to my ACT score and a baseball scholly.

Commercecomet24
08-04-2022, 05:51 PM
Hardest I ever got hit was by a farm boy from George county. I asked him what type of weight training did they do. He said loading bales of hay into a barn

Yeah they ain't nothing like it accept maybe hauling pulpwood. Done both.

Commercecomet24
08-04-2022, 05:53 PM
No

I just was raised differently. My “summer job” was playing baseball. We played about 60 games in the summer of legion ball. And that’s in the mid-80’s. I was not allowed to work until the summer after I graduated HS. It paid off as my 1st 2 years of college were free thanks to my ACT score and a baseball scholly.

You lucky dog. I did the same thing playing league and legion ball all summer but I was expected to work on the farm too.

BeardoMSU
08-04-2022, 07:04 PM
my 1st 2 years of college were free thanks to my ACT score

https://media4.giphy.com/media/6JB4v4xPTAQFi/200.gif

>********************<

parabrave
08-04-2022, 07:07 PM
You lucky dog. I did the same thing playing league and legion ball all summer but I was expected to work on the farm too.

Foosball back in CC24 day: sorry but I can't copy images

https://ia600200.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/33/items/reveille251929miss/reveille251929miss_jp2.zip&file=reveille251929miss_jp2/reveille251929miss_0169.jp2&id=reveille251929miss&scale=2&rotate=0

Taken from the 1929 Reflector.

Coach34
08-04-2022, 08:14 PM

Welllllllllllll, I did have to mow the yard with a pushmower. We were poor.

Commercecomet24
08-04-2022, 08:54 PM
Foosball back in CC24 day: sorry but I can't copy images

https://ia600200.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/33/items/reveille251929miss/reveille251929miss_jp2.zip&file=reveille251929miss_jp2/reveille251929miss_0169.jp2&id=reveille251929miss&scale=2&rotate=0

Taken from the 1929 Reflector.

Not quite that old lol!

msudawg1200
08-05-2022, 09:26 AM

This. However, once football two-a-days officially started my dad let me out of the hayfield. I think I was the only happy guy during two-a-days. Anything to get out of the hell on earth that was the hayfield in a Mississippi summer circa 1986-89.

Commercecomet24
08-05-2022, 12:26 PM
This. However, once football two-a-days officially started my dad let me out of the hayfield. I think I was the only happy guy during two-a-days. Anything to get out of the hell on earth that was the hayfield in a Mississippi summer circa 1986-89.

HA! Amen to that brother, right there with you, accept i was a few year before you!

Johnson85
08-05-2022, 01:47 PM
It?s a different world now thanks to technology.

We have an app in which the entire team is a part of for communication purposes about practice, school, or anything football related. I woke up the other morning to 77 messages that started at 3:48am about ?who up? and ?u ain?t nevah beat me in 2K?(NBA 2K on PS). 9 different players arguing as they play online at 4am.

We have 35 or so players- maybe 5-6 have jobs this summer. I promise you that total is not low because of summer workouts.

It's probably not but there are probably a few where it makes a difference, or at least gives them an excuse to tell their parents why they can't work. And most areas in Mississippi are not chock full of high school students from families that are so affluent that the kids shouldn't be working in the summer.

basedog
08-05-2022, 02:05 PM
I guess I was made different than many of you guys. I played all sports, there was no way I could have played just one sport back in my day, I guess I was more athletic than most on ED***

Btw, I had summer jobs also, usually say 8-1:00. Also, I think basketball is easier to play all year around, mostly because you are inside.

Goldendawg
08-05-2022, 03:17 PM
Welllllllllllll, I did have to mow the yard with a pushmower. We were poor.

My Dad said that he would buy me a pushmower & pay for gas, oil, and any mower repairs in late '60's when I was a pre-teen. I was to keep journal of income/expenses. I booked my yards $2.50 for small yard, $5.00 for large ( very hard to get). I was very rough on the mower. At end of summer, Dad asked to see journal and upon viewing, said he would match my income to not mow next summer! Summer I was 16, "bundle boy" in local garment factory, $1.60/hr minimum wage. 1st check over $60 and thought I was rich!

basedog
08-05-2022, 03:26 PM
My Dad said that he would buy me a pushmower & pay for gas, oil, and any mower repairs in late '60's when I was a pre-teen. I was to keep journal of income/expenses. I booked my yards $2.50 for small yard, $5.00 for large ( very hard to get). I was very rough on the mower. At end of summer, Dad asked to see journal and upon viewing, said he would match my income to not mow next summer! Summer I was 16, "bundle boy" in local garment factory, $1.60/hr minimum wage. 1st check over $60 and thought I was rich!

Good for you and of course your dad! I think minimum was $1.25 for me, I could either fill up my VW or buy a 6-Pack of cold beer!

MagicDawg
08-05-2022, 04:20 PM
Has an official cause of death been reported yet?

BeardoMSU
08-05-2022, 06:56 PM
Has an official cause of death been reported yet?

Apparently he took a vaccine, but idk***

Lord McBuckethead
08-05-2022, 07:06 PM

This comment is just pathetic.

Lord McBuckethead
08-05-2022, 07:08 PM

Also, grow the 17 up.

Lord McBuckethead
08-05-2022, 07:10 PM

Maybe he was trying some shitty coffee some dumb ass is trying to sell.

Really Clark?
08-05-2022, 07:58 PM
The State Medical Examiner hasn't ruled his cause of death. The corner did state that no injuries were detected. He collapsed during summer work out around 4:30 pm and official practices had not started. They start on Aug 8th. So they were not in pads. He died later at the hospital.

Commercecomet24
08-05-2022, 08:13 PM
The State Medical Examiner hasn't ruled his cause of death. The corner did state that no injuries were detected. He collapsed during summer work out around 4:30 pm and official practices had not started. They start on Aug 8th. So they were not in pads. He died later at the hospital.

So sad. Sounds like he may have had some underlying condition.

Coach34
08-06-2022, 06:40 PM
Also, grow the 17 up.

What the hell do you mean? Deaths are up 40% in the 17-35 range over a couple of years ago. What do suspect is causing it? All those soccer players dropping dead is just a coincidence huh?

AROB44
08-06-2022, 06:44 PM
What the hell do you mean? Deaths are up 40% in the 17-35 range over a couple of years ago. What do suspect is causing it? All those soccer players dropping dead is just a coincidence huh?

Well...there are people who believe the earth is flat....

BeardoMSU
08-06-2022, 07:18 PM
Well...there are people who believe the earth is flat....

Well, it takes much longer than 6000 years for a planet to form a sphere....

BeardoMSU
08-06-2022, 07:28 PM

40%? As in almost half of people 17-35? Hmm...

Love to see your source on that statistic...

Hambone
08-06-2022, 07:41 PM

Math is hard sometimes.

Coach34
08-06-2022, 09:16 PM
40%? As in almost half of people 17-35? Hmm...

Love to see your source on that statistic...

Lol- are you drinking? The death rate is up 40% for that group. It’s not saying 40% of that group is dropping dead

Coach34
08-06-2022, 09:23 PM
My bad it’s 18-64- but Here you go:

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/588738-huge-huge-numbers-death-rates-up-40-percent-over-pre/

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2022/02/24/life-f24.html

Dr Malone- who invented the mRNA vaccines talks about it here:

https://www.thedesertreview.com/opinion/columnists/life-insurance-deaths-up-40---dr-robert-malone-s-chilling-analysis/article_d24bccac-6f38-11ec-912f-1f6d8fc5fac4.html

BeardoMSU
08-06-2022, 10:03 PM
Lol- are you drinking? The death rate is up 40% for that group. It’s not saying 40% of that group is dropping dead

You don't detect sarcasm very well.

PendingTransaction
08-07-2022, 12:55 PM
When I played in high school I loaded pulp wood from 5:00 am until 3:00 pm. Got to practice at 4:00 pm The coach installed a 20ft tall, 4mil plastic curtain around the field's fence so that we got no breeze. We weren't allowed to drink anything. Before the start of practice, Ol' Coach threw a diuretic pill in our mouths and we swallowed it dry.

viverlibre
08-07-2022, 03:32 PM
When I played in high school I loaded pulp wood from 5:00 am until 3:00 pm. Got to practice at 4:00 pm The coach installed a 20ft tall, 4mil plastic curtain around the field's fence so that we got no breeze. We weren't allowed to drink anything. Before the start of practice, Ol' Coach threw a diuretic pill in our mouths and we swallowed it dry.

Our coarch did all that, plus installed heat lamps all around the field, plus i worked the night shift at the ship yard prior to hauling pulp wood (that i cut with a hand saw).

parabrave
08-07-2022, 04:27 PM
Our coarch did all that, plus installed heat lamps all around the field, plus i worked the night shift at the ship yard prior to hauling pulp wood (that i cut with a hand saw).

Dam you lucky bastard you had a hand saw/

Quaoarsking
08-07-2022, 09:58 PM
Dr Malone- who invented the mRNA vaccines talks about it here:

https://www.thedesertreview.com/opinion/columnists/life-insurance-deaths-up-40---dr-robert-malone-s-chilling-analysis/article_d24bccac-6f38-11ec-912f-1f6d8fc5fac4.html

I think we've been over this before, so I'll just remind you that just because someone claims to have "invented MRNA vaccines" doesn't mean he/she actually did.

Secondly, this article doesn't state that "deaths" are up 40%, just that one particular life insurance company executives says that his particular company has has had life insurance claims rise by 40%. Surely you see the difference in those statistics?

Pancho
08-07-2022, 10:31 PM
And Fauci claimed to have invented an aids pill too but he actually stole it.

Johnson85
08-08-2022, 08:52 AM
I think we've been over this before, so I'll just remind you that just because someone claims to have "invented MRNA vaccines" doesn't mean he/she actually did.

Secondly, this article doesn't state that "deaths" are up 40%, just that one particular life insurance company executives says that his particular company has has had life insurance claims rise by 40%. Surely you see the difference in those statistics?

Depending on how big the insurance company is and how representative their members are, that would seem to be a pretty decent proxy. Should be pretty easy to figure out how many of the excess deaths are at least officially attributed to covid. Not as easy to figure out if the other excess deaths were possibly caused by covid complications or otherwise attributable to Covid but not officially recorded as covid, which might have been due to lifestyle changes due to government reactions to Covid (e.g., excess suicides?), which were due to more or less unrelated issues (increased crime after police reducing proactiveness due to increasing anti-police sentiment), or which may have been contributed to by the vaccine.

ScoobaDawg
08-08-2022, 02:43 PM
A player died.

and y'all ruined this thread instead of paying attention to the real points.
Just sad.