Pancho
07-31-2022, 06:09 AM
3RD baseman?

confucius say
07-31-2022, 08:01 AM
Played SS for them as a freshman and sophomore

Hot Rock
07-31-2022, 08:04 AM
Is big and athletic, he is another power bat?middle infielder but don?t rule out OF or DH

TNDawg35
07-31-2022, 08:07 AM
3RD baseman?

Alford is our 3b. He has been on a tear during summer ball. Along with Ledbetter. Both have been on fire…

NWADAWG
07-31-2022, 08:23 AM
Looks like a very good get for us.

https://vcuathletics.com/sports/baseball/roster/connor-hujsak/4481

Is his last name pronounced "huge sack"? Maybe he'll be a great clutch hitter.

Saltydog
07-31-2022, 09:47 AM
So I guess he's our plan "C" now that we struck out on others but at this point in the game it's a decent pickup. We're down to the nut cutting.

MetEdDawg
07-31-2022, 09:53 AM
With us losing the guys we did to the draft, there's room for a DH addition. And he hit 12 homers last year including one off the pitcher from Georgia in their regional that dominated us last year.

His fielding percentage is not good (below .910 last year), so I definitely see this as more of a DH play than someone to take SS reps away from Forsythe. Forsythe fielded at .969 last year for comparison. And if he continues to improve his hitting like he did last year you can't take Forsythe out of the everyday.

This is a good pickup and can provide us options.

WSOPdawg
07-31-2022, 10:15 AM
Whoa, love his hitting stats BUT 49 errors (in 2021 & 2022 combined) for a .894 fielding % is atrocious. But again, love the bat he brings to the team. Time will tell.

Saltydog
07-31-2022, 11:05 AM
He's from New Hampshire. That's gotta be a first for us......

KOdawg1
07-31-2022, 11:56 AM
I'd try him out in LF if he can handle it.

Commercecomet24
07-31-2022, 03:39 PM
This is good pickup and we've been on him for awhile. He's been taking his time with this decision. This kid has pop and gets on base a lot, very good obp, something else he has great wheels and can run, 17 stolen bases this past year. Not great defensively, but he can hit and run. Good get.

Hot Rock
07-31-2022, 03:58 PM
Sounds like OF it DH

KOdawg1
07-31-2022, 04:01 PM
Sounds like OF it DH

Yeah I'd let he and Downs battle it out in LF with the loser being the DH

Todd4State
07-31-2022, 05:45 PM
Yeah I'd let he and Downs battle it out in LF with the loser being the DH

Don't forget about Dakota Jordan. He'll be in the mix as well.

Todd4State
07-31-2022, 05:46 PM
This is good pickup and we've been on him for awhile. He's been taking his time with this decision. This kid has pop and gets on base a lot, very good obp, something else he has great wheels and can run, 17 stolen bases this past year. Not great defensively, but he can hit and run. Good get.

I'm guessing he'll play left field for us. Unless we get another outfielder in the portal. Which is very possible.

Commercecomet24
07-31-2022, 06:05 PM
I'm guessing he'll play left field for us. Unless we get another outfielder in the portal. Which is very possible.

More like DH. Career infielder, not sure how much defensively you'd get in outfield from him. Would probably be more of a liability out there. I'm sure he'll get a look out there but not sure how much we'd get defensively. Dudes a solid hitter though.

Apoplectic
07-31-2022, 06:26 PM
Who did we outbid?

CaptainObvious
07-31-2022, 08:22 PM
Who did we outbid?

Er?body apparently. 😎

99jc
07-31-2022, 08:30 PM
did we sign the ambidextrous pitcher?

KOdawg1
07-31-2022, 08:51 PM
did we sign the ambidextrous pitcher?
He's coming to school

Commercecomet24
07-31-2022, 09:27 PM
Who did we outbid?

Alabama, auburn and usce from sec, Florida state and notre dame, were after him.Some schools from big10. Some other smaller schools.

HoopsDawg
07-31-2022, 09:39 PM
Alabama, auburn and usce from sec, Florida state and notre dame, were after him.Some schools from big10. Some other smaller schools.

I can't imagine those teams would be on him as a DH. That tells me he has a shot to be our SS.

Coach34
07-31-2022, 09:39 PM
More like DH. Career infielder, not sure how much defensively you'd get in outfield from him. Would probably be more of a liability out there. I'm sure he'll get a look out there but not sure how much we'd get defensively. Dudes a solid hitter though.

I'll be surprised if he DH's. Kid has played SS for 2 years in D-1 baseball

Commercecomet24
07-31-2022, 09:43 PM
I can't imagine those teams would be on him as a DH. That tells me he has a shot to be our SS.

I'm not saying those teams were looking at him as dh, I'm saying those are the teams i know were in on him.

Commercecomet24
07-31-2022, 09:45 PM
I'll be surprised if he DH's. Kid has played SS for 2 years in D-1 baseball

He's also played third and first but he's not good defensively at ss. Now he could get a shot at third but I can't see him playing ss, he's not good there at all.

HoopsDawg
07-31-2022, 09:55 PM
He's also played third and first but he's not good defensively at ss. Now he could get a shot at third but I can't see him playing ss, he's not good there at all.

Slate Alford is very good defensively at 3B and had a good summer with the bat. I think he will get first crack at 3B with a pretty long leash. I just can't imagine a D1 SS would have transferred here to DH as you said in another post. You can improve defensively with reps and good coaching. Jordan Westburg wasn't great defensively as a freshman. Now he has a legendary work ethic, but he got much better. I feel like this guy will get a shot at SS.

Coach34
07-31-2022, 09:58 PM

Oh I hear ya on that. Altho I do find it interesting Foreskin left his summer team just a couple of days after joining it and didnt play any summer ball.

If he is good enough to play some SS in D-1 baseball he is likely to compete for a position and play it for us.

KOdawg1
07-31-2022, 10:11 PM
Oh I hear ya on that. Altho I do find it interesting Foreskin left his summer team just a couple of days after joining it and didnt play any summer ball.

He supposedly got popped in the face taking infield and messed up his nose.

Commercecomet24
07-31-2022, 10:25 PM
Slate Alford is very good defensively at 3B and had a good summer with the bat. I think he will get first crack at 3B with a pretty long leash. I just can't imagine a D1 SS would have transferred here to DH as you said in another post. You can improve defensively with reps and good coaching. Jordan Westburg wasn't great defensively as a freshman. Now he has a legendary work ethic, but he got much better. I feel like this guy will get a shot at SS.

Oh I'm sure he'll get a shot at ss and if he wins it great but I don't expect much defensively from him.

Commercecomet24
07-31-2022, 10:28 PM

If he is good enough to play some SS in D-1 baseball he is likely to compete for a position and play it for us.

Oh I agree he's gonna get a shot at ss for sure and I love the fact we bringing in competition at positions and if he wins it great but I don't expect much from him defensively. Now the dude can hit and is extremely athletic and I suppose outfield is a shot but it's just not that easy for a career infielder to move out there especially at this level. I really think this is a good get for us, I like the guy.

AlSwearengen
08-01-2022, 06:24 AM
If he struggled defensively at SS but can hit and is athletic, I would bet he is being brought in as a possibility in the OF, or if someone on the infield struggles, he gets a look there. Sort of a utility type player.

If those other schools had serious interest in him, he must be a good prospect with the bat and they will find a spot for him. I?m going to be surprised if Forsythe isn?t playing SS but whatever happens, competition is good and you can never have too many good options.

maroonmania
08-01-2022, 07:00 AM
Oh I'm sure he'll get a shot at ss and if he wins it great but I don't expect much defensively from him.

I'm a little surprised we took him. Given we need an OF or more pitching he doesn't really seem to meet an immediate need for us. But I guess he could be a backup SS that could come in and provide more offense if needed. Not really sure what our SS options are behind Forsythe.

basedog
08-01-2022, 08:04 AM
If he struggled defensively at SS but can hit and is athletic, I would bet he is being brought in as a possibility in the OF, or if someone on the infield struggles, he gets a look there. Sort of a utility type player.

If those other schools had serious interest in him, he must be a good prospect with the bat and they will find a spot for him. I?m going to be surprised if Forsythe isn?t playing SS but whatever happens, competition is good and you can never have too many good options.

I agree, having someone play SS with .901 average in fielding will get in the SS. If he is athletic maybe, he could play the outfield. Looks like a good get for us regardless.

SilentSteel16
08-01-2022, 08:43 AM
Pretty sure you will see him in multiple positions this year. You are nuts if you think he will take Starting SS duties. Only way that happens is if Forsythe gets hurt. There will be a lot of competition and position battles but SS is not one of them.