PDA

View Full Version : 2 Deep

Travelingdawg
07-24-2022, 04:49 PM
Anyone want to give us a rundown on the projected 2 deep.
Thanks I'll hang up and listen.

msugolf
07-25-2022, 06:40 AM
Good luck with that. You might have to settle for a 1 deep. Not too many folks interested in football anymore and I cant blame them

Hot Rock
07-25-2022, 08:39 AM
Here is what Our Lads Shows from the Spring depth, I am sure some things will change as transfers underclassmen get in there and compete and show their abilities this fall camp:

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/mississippi-state/91211

Looking that list from the spring, here are my thoughts which are really not that informed and could easily be wrong but you asked:

Off Tackles - I see both Reese and/or Lewis possibly getting in the starting spot but both Jones and Johnson have shown they can be serviceable. If one of them steps up, you could see Jones slide back inside as a starter in place of Smith. Sharp is the guy at Center and it appears Losoya has shown some ability inside as well. He was a starting LT at Mid TN State.

WR's - too hard to tell for me - Lots of talented players. Guys have to catch the ball first and then if they can be explosive on top of it. We can all guess the starters but I trust the coaching staff to have 8 guys ready. I am surprised to see Hardrick listed at the WR position, he was recruited as a CB. I found that interesting.

QB & RB's are pretty established with Rogers & Sawyer at QB & Marks & Johnson but I am looking forward to seeing what Hargrove can bring. He is a burner.

DLine - Jordan Davis comes back fully healthy - He could be starting soon and our best pass rusher. There is lots of talent in this group whoever is starting with a good mix of older and younger guys.

LB's - SR laden starters - with lots of young talent behind them and more coming in - nice looking group; I hear good things on several younger ones and some really good Fr signees. This group should be good

DB's - Forbes & Greene are probably starting but there is so much new talent coming in from the portal and guys Like Ellington playing so well. They hit the portal hard and got some good players to go along with a top JuCo DB and the younger guys getting better. This group should be better even after losing one of the best in the game from last year.

Kickers.- not sure what to say... they brought in some guys. The names are listed in the link how you expect it to be but who the freak knows? They can't be worse right?

TrapGame
07-25-2022, 09:27 AM
Thanks Hot Rock.

I'm interested to see what Massimo Biscardi can do. With a name like that he's destined to be a star.

Catfish
07-25-2022, 09:46 AM
Agreed, good post, Hot Rock. We've got some talent.

dawgman15
07-25-2022, 09:54 AM
Is Randy Charlton and Demonte Russell really starting over Jordan Davis? I thought Jordan was the starter until his preseason injury last year.

Hot Rock
07-25-2022, 09:57 AM
Is Randy Charlton and Demonte Russell really starting over Jordan Davis? I thought Jordan was the starter until his preseason injury last year.

That may be more of precautionary in the Spring. That is not the fall two deep. Just a snap shot of what it was this spring. If Jordan is healthy, he could be our best pass rusher and a force of which to be dealt.

99jc
07-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Good luck with that. You might have to settle for a 1 deep. Not too many folks interested in football anymore and I cant blame them

you were interested enough to post that shit!

Catfish
07-25-2022, 12:18 PM
Got more than one hater on here.

Travelingdawg
07-25-2022, 12:19 PM
Thanks Hot Rock

Jarius
07-25-2022, 01:17 PM

There will be 3 times more people attend our first game against Memphis than any baseball game we played in our entire history. We return 18 starters off a 7 win team. Anyone that is a State fan and not interested in this team just wants to be miserable.

HancockCountyDog
07-25-2022, 01:48 PM
That defense should be pretty damn salty.

That is as senior laden of a defense as I can remember.

If we get decent OT play next year we should be pretty damn good.

msudawg1200
07-25-2022, 01:50 PM
There will be 3 times more people attend our first game against Memphis than any baseball game we played in our entire history. We return 18 starters off a 7 win team. Anyone that is a State fan and not interested in this team just wants to be miserable.

This. I'm looking forward to the season.

confucius say
07-25-2022, 01:51 PM

Yea I don't get it. 8-4/7-5 just isn't exciting to our fanbase anymore.

TrapGame
07-25-2022, 01:58 PM
That defense should be pretty damn salty.

That is as senior laden of a defense as I can remember.

If we get decent OT play next year we should be pretty damn good.

Even Dave Bartoo thinks we will have one of the best Ds in the SEC. He thinks we could have a top 20 defense.

We have a WR stable like we've never had and an experienced QB that can get them ball.

I just don't get the Eeyore attitude from some of our "fans".

MrCoachKlein
07-25-2022, 02:26 PM

I think it's just people that are butt hurt because Leach doesn't run their preferred offense.

Catfish
07-25-2022, 02:32 PM
I think it's just people that are butt hurt because Leach doesn't run their preferred offense.

Rep! You nailed it.

memsu06
07-25-2022, 02:44 PM
Before we start bashing Leach and our offense how about we see what happens? Then keep in mind our schedule is pretty brutal this year. Making 8 wins would actually be a good year considering.

Do you want to go back to Mullen QB draws on 3rd and long?

I now expect our receivers to catch the ball which is way different than Mullen where that was maybe 50/50.

Let Leach do his thing. It's not is first rodeo.

Coach34
07-25-2022, 02:54 PM
There will be 3 times more people attend our first game against Memphis than any baseball game we played in our entire history.

I’ll be surprised if we have almost 50K opening weekend in the heat. Maybe if Memphis travels a little heavier because it’s close.

But as I keep saying- this will be the best team Leach ever coaches at State. Better enjoy it this year. This is a good football team

Coach34
07-25-2022, 02:55 PM
Before we start bashing Leach and our offense how about we see what happens? Then keep in mind our schedule is pretty brutal this year. Making 8 wins would actually be a good year considering.

Do you want to go back to Mullen QB draws on 3rd and long?

I now expect our receivers to catch the ball which is way different than Mullen where that was maybe 50/50.

Let Leach do his thing. It's not is first rodeo.

There is so much wrong with this post I don’t have the time right now to donkeypunch it

msudawg1200
07-25-2022, 03:02 PM

Now, I've just turned the big 5-0, so I remember the 4-7, 3-8 on the regular, and 10 years between bowl games. I guess our fanbase is frustrated that we haven't taken that next step to being a consistent 8-10 win team going to NY6 and Florida bowls on the regular. 2018 was the big kick in the sack for most(thanks JoMo). Hopefully, We can get to 9-3, and to a NY6 or Citrus Bowl.

TrapGame
07-25-2022, 03:46 PM

That's so petulant and childish. As long as the offense works I don't care what we run. Mike Leach is an elite coach and we are lucky to have him.

tcdog70
07-25-2022, 04:00 PM
I've seen Shira-Felker and Croom---so hell yes I'm excited for this Year.. the fact we get to play in the baddest ass division this side of the NFL--makes it an honor to play. we have some whiney ass pussies on the board.

HancockCountyDog
07-25-2022, 04:30 PM
That's so petulant and childish. As long as the offense works I don't care what we run. Mike Leach is an elite coach and we are lucky to have him.

Look - I'm not the offense's biggest fan, but I'm a MSU fan first and I enjoyed the hell out of the AU game last year. We need more of that.

I did not enjoy the egg bowl, so less of that please.

I do think we need to something different at MSU to win, so if going true air raid is the route we have picked, then I hope like hell it works.

My biggest concern is that our defense has held up really well the last two years and after this year, we will lose a ton of talent and experience. Three and outs have not hurt us as much the last two years, because our defense has been solid. A bad defense is the worst case scenario for MSU in 2023, so we need to take advantage of what we have this year.

This is the most excited I have been about a season at MSU since 2018. I think we have a legit shot to win 10 games, a puncher's chance against UGA and no chance against the NFL team masquerading as a college team in Bama. Do I expect to win 10? Of course not, do I think when the ball is kicked off against Kentucky, A&M, Pigs and bearsharks that I think we are losing those games? Nope. At least not today.

Hope is a good thing - 2022 MSU football is full of hope.

msudawg1200
07-25-2022, 04:46 PM
QB-Will Rogers, Sawyer Robinson
RB-Dillion Johnson, Jo'quavious Marks
WR-Jaden Walley, Austin Williams
WR-Tulu Griffin, Justin Robinson,Antonio Harmon
WR-Caleb Ducking, Rara Thomas
WR-Jamire Calvin, Jamorris Hopson
LT-Percy Lewis, Grant Jackson
LG-Nick Jones, Cole Smith
C-LaQuinston Sharp, Canon Boone
RG-Dolla Bill Johnson, Kam Jones
RT-Albert Reese, Steven Losoya

DE-Jordan Davis, Nathan Pickering
NT-Jaden Crumedy, Cameron Young
DE-Randy Charlton, De'Monte Russell
SLB-Tyrus Wheat, John Lewis
MLB-Jett Johnson, DeShawn Page
MLB-Nathaniel Watson, Nic Mitchell
CB-Emmanuel Forbes, Marcus Banks, Jordan Morant
CB-Decarlos Nicholson, Decamerion Richardson, Hunter Washington
NB-Shawn Preston, Corey Ellington
BS-Colin Duncan, Jackie Matthews
FS-Jalen Green, Dylan Lawrence

K-Massimo Biscardi, Ben Raybon
P-George Georgopoulous, Archer Trafford

Catfish
07-25-2022, 04:53 PM
Solid team against a brutal schedule. I still say 8-4 or better.

HoopsDawg
07-25-2022, 06:28 PM
There's nothing to play for.

TrapGame
07-25-2022, 07:32 PM
There's nothing to play for.

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/eeyore_3_992af934.jpeg

HoopsDawg
07-25-2022, 08:32 PM
https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/eeyore_3_992af934.jpeg

Maybe things go perfect and we get to play in the Music City Bowl and then 6 guys opt out. Hip, hip, hooray.

Goldendawg
07-25-2022, 08:57 PM

Will be exciting to me as long as one of the 8 or 7, is OM. BTW, did I miss something as I have been attending since 1963, just how many seasons of 9 or more regular season wins have we had? I am again excited and expect us to go 12-0 in the regular season until we lose a few! Hail State!

viverlibre
07-25-2022, 09:58 PM
Even Dave Bartoo thinks we will have one of the best Ds in the SEC. He thinks we could have a top 20 defense.

We have a WR stable like we've never had and an experienced QB that can get them ball.

We lost two of our top four producers in the WR room, but we do have some potential. Hopefully, Will works on his release and gets the ball downfield quickly.

Jarius
07-26-2022, 06:38 AM
We lost two of our top four producers in the WR room, but we do have some potential. Hopefully, Will works on his release and gets the ball downfield quickly.

Malik Heath was a backup player by the end of the year. He got his spot taken by a freshman.

Jarius
07-26-2022, 06:41 AM
I?ll be surprised if we have almost 50K opening weekend in the heat. Maybe if Memphis travels a little heavier because it?s close.

But as I keep saying- this will be the best team Leach ever coaches at State. Better enjoy it this year. This is a good football team

I would expect 45-50K for week 1, since the game doesn’t start until 6. Shouldn’t be too bad heat wise at that point in the day. I expect Some of our guys to get ratings bumps and then Parson will be a 4 star. Our recruiting will probably end up around the same as it’s always been. Don’t know what that equals to as far as success in the future but probably about what Leach has always done. Ole Miss completely abandoning the state of Mississippi is going to help us out a lot with defensive recruiting. We have made a living with high 3 star defensive guys within the State.

TrapGame
07-26-2022, 08:55 AM

Nah, we good.

msugolf
07-26-2022, 09:18 AM

Nah, we good.

If Ducking starts and plays significant minutes then we?re gonna struggle

TrapGame
07-26-2022, 09:37 AM

All those names and you go to Ducking. Eeyores gonna Eeyore. How dark are those clouds in your world?

msugolf
07-26-2022, 10:01 AM
All those names and you go to Ducking. Eeyores gonna Eeyore. How dark are those clouds in your world?

What names? I see 2, maybe 3, guys that would even play on any other sec team. I also see a lot of guys who are going to get a lot of yards based on the sheer number of passes thrown in this offense.

Which WRs on our team scares SEC defensive coordinators?

TrapGame
07-26-2022, 10:13 AM
What names? I see 2, maybe 3, guys that would even play on any other sec team. I also see a lot of guys who are going to get a lot of yards based on the sheer number of passes thrown in this offense.

Wow.

You just love being miserable. Five of those guys are go-to play makers. They caught solid passes from Will. We have better WRs under Leach than Mullen. We put up points on good defenses last season - A&M, AU, NC State, UK, Arkansas, OM. It's not scaring DCs, it's just frustrating the shit out of them.

BrunswickDawg
07-26-2022, 10:18 AM

Nah, we good.

Don't forget my man Scoobie - he had the same YPC as Heath and did damn well for a walk on.

TrapGame
07-26-2022, 10:46 AM
Don't forget my man Scoobie - he had the same YPC as Heath and did damn well for a walk on.

Oh shit yeah. Scoobie Ford caught some clutch passes last season. I suggest some folks go back and watch our come back game against Auburn to see how Will spread it around. Polk and Heath weren't the only guys making catches.

Hot Rock
07-26-2022, 10:49 AM

That looks like a solid effort to what we will actually may see come game one. These just your thoughts or do you have some inside intel I don't? What I see of your list:

OLine - This looks like the best case for these guys with Reese and Lewis stepping up into starting rolls. I don't see Losoya at the RT backup. I expect he will help backup the inside spots and the starting Guards will be your back up OT's.

WR's - a good a guess as any I have seen. I see 8-10 guys that all look good with differing qualities

DL - All six you have listed will get lots of snaps and a couple other guys will get in there as well. It's a long season and this group looks deep and built to handle it. Does it have enough star power? I don't know but they do look good.

DB's - Your starters may be right but there is a bunch of new and young talent vying for all those spots. This should be the most improved group on the team outside special teams.

R2Dawg
07-26-2022, 12:20 PM

That is a pretty talented group. That D could be really really good. We are real stout up front again thru 2 deep. A few unproven guys on OL on O but other than that lot of talent and returning experience. If we don't win 8-9 games 2022 is a failure IMO. No excuse.

msudawg1200
07-26-2022, 12:27 PM
That looks like a solid effort to what we will actually may see come game one. These just your thoughts or do you have some inside intel I don't? What I see of your list:

OLine - This looks like the best case for these guys with Reese and Lewis stepping up into starting rolls. I don't see Losoya at the RT backup. I expect he will help backup the inside spots and the starting Guards will be your back up OT's.

WR's - a good a guess as any I have seen. I see 8-10 guys that all look good with differing qualities

DL - All six you have listed will get lots of snaps and a couple other guys will get in there as well. It's a long season and this group looks deep and built to handle it. Does it have enough star power? I don't know but they do look good.

DB's - Your starters may be right but there is a bunch of new and young talent vying for all those spots. This should be the most improved group on the team outside special teams.

A little of both on your question.

Lord McBuckethead
07-26-2022, 01:28 PM
Yeah because 8-4 and 7-5 really doesn?t mean shit. We need 10 and to be competitive in the other 2. That is what matters.

Lord McBuckethead
07-26-2022, 01:30 PM
That is a pretty talented group. That D could be really really good. We are real stout up front again thru 2 deep. A few unproven guys on OL on O but other than that lot of talent and returning experience. If we don't win 8-9 games 2022 is a failure IMO. No excuse.

We got to be all-Americans on names alone. Damn, we have some sweet names.

BuckyIsAB****
07-26-2022, 01:57 PM
QB: Rogers- Robertson
RB: Marks/Johnson- Jernighan
X: Tulu- Ducking
Y: Walley- Ford/Calvin
H: Williams- Mosley
Z: Rara- Harmon

LT : Lewis- Dolla
LG: Smith- Losoya
C: Sharp- Boone
RG : Kam Jones- Nick Jones
RT : Reese- Dolla/Buys

Miller will play the best 5. Position does not matter as much unless its C.

E: Davis- Harris/Russell
N: Crumedy- Young/Pickering
E: Charlton- Banks

Sam: Wheat- Timbs/Cooper
Mike: Watson- Lewis
Jack: Johnson - Page

CB: Forbes- Richardson/ Washington
CB: Nicholson- Banks

RS: Duncan- Lawrence
Dog: Green- Ellington
LS: Matthews- Preston

K: Biscardi
P: George G/Trafford

LS: Hammond

TrapGame
07-26-2022, 02:18 PM
Nice Bucky.

I forgot about JJ Jernighan.

viverlibre
07-26-2022, 03:01 PM

Nah, we good.

Last year's contributors. A couple of our top guys are gone. Rara is obviously gonna step up, but I'm not overly excited about the big play ability of the group. Hopefully they show out, but one or two injuries and we could be in trouble.

Player Games Rec. YpC TDs
Makai Polk 13 105 10.0 9
Jaden Walley 13 55 11.4 6
Austin Williams 13 52 11.9 4
Malik Heath 10 34 13.0 5
Jamire Calvin 12 29 7.6 3
L Griffin 10 26 10.3 0
Christian Forde 7 19 13.0 0
Rara Thomas 7 18 14.0 5
Caleb Ducking 3 9 9.2 0
Rufus Harvey 3 5 7.8 1

TrapGame
07-26-2022, 03:07 PM
Last year's contributors. A couple of our top guys are gone. Rara is obviously gonna step up, but I'm not overly excited about the big play ability of the group. Hopefully they show out, but one or two injuries and we could be in trouble.

Player Games Rec. YpC TDs
Makai Polk 13 105 10.0 9
Jaden Walley 13 55 11.4 6
Austin Williams 13 52 11.9 4
Malik Heath 10 34 13.0 5
Jamire Calvin 12 29 7.6 3
L Griffin 10 26 10.3 0
Christian Forde 7 19 13.0 0
Rara Thomas 7 18 14.0 5
Caleb Ducking 3 9 9.2 0
Rufus Harvey 3 5 7.8 1

We'll be fine. Got better WRs than Mullen had in most of his 9 years. Y'all settle down.

Jarius
07-26-2022, 03:08 PM

This is going to be an all time bad take by October.

Johnson85
07-26-2022, 03:43 PM
This is going to be an all time bad take by October.

Is their positive buzz about Ducking or something coming out of workouts? He's a redshirt senior that so far hasn't really produced much. Doesn't seem crazy to think it'd be a bad sign if he was suddenly going to be a starter for us.

Goldendawg
07-26-2022, 03:56 PM
Having a certain OL man running 1st and 2nd string at LT in the spring, who was a penalty machine last year has me worried. Hope that issue is resolved as he enters this season.

BuckyIsAB****
07-26-2022, 04:02 PM
Is their positive buzz about Ducking or something coming out of workouts? He's a redshirt senior that so far hasn't really produced much. Doesn't seem crazy to think it'd be a bad sign if he was suddenly going to be a starter for us.

Hes good. We have had way worse start for us

Leroy Jenkins
07-26-2022, 04:19 PM
I'm tempering my expectations on Lewis. Last year was the first time in his life he played OL. He is a converted DL. Even Martinas Rankin needed a RS year and I would pick him over Lewis every day of the week.

The good news is that, if he is good in spite of his experience, then he could be special.

BuckyIsAB****
07-26-2022, 04:28 PM
I'm tempering my expectations on Lewis. Last year was the first time in his life he played OL. He is a converted DL. Even Martinas Rankin needed a RS year and I would pick him over Lewis every day of the week.

The good news is that, if he is good in spite of his experience, then he could be special.

We were within a gnats ass of 10 wins with Scott Lashley at RT. It cant be any worse. We will be ok. It wont always be pretty but we will be ok

viverlibre
07-26-2022, 04:49 PM
We'll be fine. Got better WRs than Mullen had in most of his 9 years. Y'all settle down.

Concur, but ******* didn't rely on WRs.

TrapGame
07-26-2022, 05:10 PM
Concur, but ******* didn't rely on WRs.

And that bit him in his pompous ass. You gotta have more than one Bear Wilson on the offense. Josh and Aeris could only do so much.

WhiskeyPirate
07-26-2022, 05:46 PM
And that bit him in his pompous ass. You gotta have more than one Bear Wilson on the offense. Josh and Aeris could only do so much.

Wide receiver is one of the deepest groups on the team. It not only won’t be a problem, they will be better than last year. Watching Leach teams over twenty years, the receivers will be a strong point. They will easily replace lost production from Polk et al.

TrapGame
07-26-2022, 05:51 PM
Wide receiver is one of the deepest groups on the team. It not only won’t be a problem, they will be better than last year. Watching Leach teams over twenty years, the receivers will be a strong point. They will easily replace lost production from Polk et al.

Bingo!

HoopsDawg
07-26-2022, 07:08 PM

Deep in names. We will see about ability.

Jarius
07-26-2022, 07:15 PM

He was the best receiver on the team in the spring.

Hot Rock
07-26-2022, 07:23 PM
Yeah because 8-4 and 7-5 really doesn?t mean shit. We need 10 and to be competitive in the other 2. That is what matters.
Thus is crazy to me. How many Ten win seasons have u seen? One? And that was with Dak.

WhiskeyPirate
07-26-2022, 07:46 PM
Thus is crazy to me. How many Ten win seasons have u seen? One? And that was with Dak.

We have to win ten with the #2 SOS in the country, or the season is a failure. Allegedly

BuckyIsAB****
07-26-2022, 07:48 PM
Some of yall need to bookmark these posts and go back and look come November next year. Put ?em with all
The noodle arm Will posts.

If yall really think there is nothing to play for and cant get excited for the best team a multi time national coach of the year has had idk if you will ever be happy

confucius say
07-26-2022, 08:12 PM
QB: Rogers- Robertson
RB: Marks/Johnson- Jernighan
X: Tulu- Ducking
Y: Walley- Ford/Calvin
H: Williams- Mosley
Z: Rara- Harmon

LT : Lewis- Dolla
LG: Smith- Losoya
C: Sharp- Boone
RG : Kam Jones- Nick Jones
RT : Reese- Dolla/Buys

Miller will play the best 5. Position does not matter as much unless its C.

E: Davis- Harris/Russell
N: Crumedy- Young/Pickering
E: Charlton- Banks

Sam: Wheat- Timbs/Cooper
Mike: Watson- Lewis
Jack: Johnson - Page

CB: Forbes- Richardson/ Washington
CB: Nicholson- Banks

RS: Duncan- Lawrence
Dog: Green- Ellington
LS: Matthews- Preston

K: Biscardi
P: George G/Trafford

LS: Hammond

I just don't think Lewis is ready for LT. Hope I'm wrong.

Hot Rock
07-27-2022, 07:21 AM

If he is, then the dude will be a beast for a couple years. The SEC will expose you if you aren't ready for sure. Loosing Charles Cross is going to be tough to replace for sure. I do think they are recruiting very well on the OL but most of those guys are still young. If Lewis can step up, this offense should click.

HoopsDawg
07-27-2022, 09:38 AM

Rankin wasn't ready his first year and he went on to the NFL. So odds are, you are correct.

Jarius
07-27-2022, 09:56 AM

This is by far the biggest question mark on the team.

Johnson85
07-27-2022, 11:00 AM
This is by far the biggest question mark on the team.

Luckily we also have a question mark at the RT spot also.

FISHDAWG
07-27-2022, 11:02 AM

I can't speak to performance just yet but I can almost promise you we will get less penalty yardage from the RT spot this year

Catfish
07-27-2022, 11:04 AM
I can't speak to performance just yet but I can almost promise you we will get less penalty yardage from the RT spot this year

Good post. Penalties killed us last year.

TrapGame
07-27-2022, 11:07 AM
Good post. Penalties killed us last year.

We had potential scoring drives in the Auburn, A&M, OM and Arkansas games just go fubar b/c of penalties. Can't have that.

Johnson85
07-27-2022, 11:31 AM
Hes good. We have had way worse start for us

I don't have any basis to argue with you, but he played seven games as a RS Junior and caught 9 balls. You really think he's made a big jump between his RS JR and RS Sr. year?

Even accounting for the fact that he played in run heavy HS and JUCO offenses, that's pretty late to bloom.

Jarius
07-27-2022, 12:18 PM

Yea but I feel pretty confident that Reese or Jones will be competent there. LT is the only true concern I have.

Goldendawg
07-27-2022, 01:44 PM
If he is, then the dude will be a beast for a couple years. The SEC will expose you if you aren't ready for sure. Loosing Charles Cross is going to be tough to replace for sure. I do think they are recruiting very well on the OL but most of those guys are still young. If Lewis can step up, this offense should click.

Unless it was a Spring experiment, it really worries me that they had Dolla Bill running 1st and 2nd string LT much of the time. He was a penalty machine last year. Hope he steps up this year in a big way, but don't see him at LT at all.

Jarius
07-27-2022, 02:23 PM
I don't have any basis to argue with you, but he played seven games as a RS Junior and caught 9 balls. You really think he's made a big jump between his RS JR and RS Sr. year?

Even accounting for the fact that he played in run heavy HS and JUCO offenses, that's pretty late to bloom.

He was our best receiver the entire spring. He had to play behind Polk last year. He is going to be a really solid player this year.

BuckyIsAB****
07-27-2022, 05:49 PM

We have played with a lot worse. WR is not a concern for me

confucius say
07-27-2022, 06:06 PM

True but I think Reese (or jones) can give us what lashley gave us at least.
What really scares me is I don't think leach will adjust to help his LT out with chips or formationally.

Dawgfan77
07-27-2022, 06:28 PM
You are going to see more commitment to the run this year than years previous here under leach.

HancockCountyDog
07-27-2022, 06:40 PM
You are going to see more commitment to the run this year than years previous here under leach.

Now this would be the most surprising thing about this season if it actually happens. I hope it happens.

BuckyIsAB****
07-27-2022, 06:43 PM
Unless it was a Spring experiment, it really worries me that they had Dolla Bill running 1st and 2nd string LT much of the time. He was a penalty machine last year. Hope he steps up this year in a big way, but don't see him at LT at all.

Percy Lewis had a small injury is why that happened

BuckyIsAB****
07-27-2022, 06:44 PM

Why is that

TrapGame
07-27-2022, 07:00 PM

Where are you hearing this?

WhiskeyPirate
07-27-2022, 07:24 PM

There probably will be more designed runs to deter teams from running three man fronts. Sounds good to me.

TrapGame
07-27-2022, 08:26 PM
There probably will be more designed runs to deter teams from running three man fronts. Sounds good to me.

I've always said that Leach would adjust a little. A few designed runs doesn't mean it's not the Air Raid.

HoopsDawg
07-27-2022, 08:35 PM
I've always said that Leach would adjust a little. A few designed runs doesn't mean it's not the Air Raid.

believe it when i see it.

TrapGame
07-27-2022, 08:47 PM
believe it when i see it.

We actually ran the ball quite a bit last year. Looked more like some of those mid 2000s Texas Tech teams. We're still gonna run the ball even if there are no designed plays. Will has done a good job checking into a run when needed.

Leroy Jenkins
07-27-2022, 08:58 PM
Why is that

Because the RBs are too good not to.

Tater
07-27-2022, 09:42 PM
I?ll be surprised if we have almost 50K opening weekend in the heat. Maybe if Memphis travels a little heavier because it?s close.

I disagree simply because Will isn't as physically gifted as what Leach can get. State will always recruit defense well. We haven't even seen a full 4 years of oline coached to Leach's style either.

This team is talented yes, but a good 10 win season only propels us up, not down. The talent will keep flowing to the two main conferences.

Also Memphis is an evening kickoff on a Holiday weekend. Your estimation seems low.

WhiskeyPirate
07-27-2022, 09:50 PM
I disagree simply because Will isn't as physically gifted as what Leach can get. State will always recruit defense well. We haven't even seen a full 4 years of oline coached to Leach's style either.

This team is talented yes, but a good 10 win season only propels us up, not down. The talent will keep flowing to the two main conferences.

Also Memphis is an evening kickoff on a Holiday weekend. Your estimation seems low.

Exactly right

A q b who has good mobility and a strong arm will really expand the offense. No offense to Will who is doing a really good job.

A veteran o line that has been together a while and excels at pass blocking will compliment that highly rated q b.

Coach34
07-27-2022, 09:55 PM
Exactly right

A q b who has good mobility and a strong arm will really expand the offense. No offense to Will who is doing a really good job.

A veteran o line that has been together a while and excels at pass blocking will compliment that highly rated q b.

N
I
L

and its impact will begin to show its impact more and more in the upcoming years.

Dawgfan77
07-28-2022, 06:20 AM
This isn't a whole sale we gonna abandon the Air Raid I'm saying there is going to me more emphasis on trying to run the ball more this year.

TrapGame
07-28-2022, 08:26 AM
This isn't a whole sale we gonna abandon the Air Raid I'm saying there is going to me more emphasis on trying to run the ball more this year.

We ran the ball more last year than Leach teams have done since the Texas Tech heyday. I expect more of the same this season.

Johnson85
07-28-2022, 08:34 AM
True but I think Reese (or jones) can give us what lashley gave us at least.
What really scares me is I don't think leach will adjust to help his LT out with chips or formationally.

What Lashley gave us really isn't good enough though. It was manageable last year because we at least had Cross on the other side. We get what Lashley gave us last year and match that with a mediocre LT and we are in trouble. Can't sustain drives if we are constantly getting put behind the chains or having to throw the ball away because one of our tackles is getting beat 30% of the time.

dawgman15
07-28-2022, 08:40 AM
Anyone will be better than Lashley as long as they don't false start or hold as much as he did

TrapGame
07-28-2022, 08:49 AM
Anyone will be better than Lashley as long as they don't false start or hold as much as he did

And that's why he took the portal out of Bama. He was never going to see the field staying there.

HancockCountyDog
07-28-2022, 09:44 AM

My concern is that these coaches aren't stupid, if we had someone better, we would have put him out there.

Coach34
07-28-2022, 11:58 AM
My concern is that these coaches aren't stupid, if we had someone better, we would have put him out there.

Exactly.

Either Lashley was a good bit better than think he was OR what we had behind him was shitty

BuckyIsAB****
07-28-2022, 09:38 PM
Exactly.

Either Lashley was a good bit better than think he was OR what we had behind him was shitty

Kids improve you know this. Reese will be fine. If Lewis cant do it we know Kam Jones can play tackle and be ok. I am concerned too but not bc we dont have players. Im concerned bc it is literally the only potential hole on the team on the most important position group of the team. Or any team for that matter

Coach34
07-28-2022, 10:06 PM
Kids improve you know this. Reese will be fine. If Lewis cant do it we know Kam Jones can play tackle and be ok. I am concerned too but not bc we dont have players. Im concerned bc it is literally the only potential hole on the team on the most important position group of the team. Or any team for that matter

No doubt they do. But when you dont have anyone that could have played better than Lashley last year you are counting on a quantum leap of growth. There will obviously be growing pains with his successor. Fortunately our Sept is good for that before the tough ass October.

BuckyIsAB****
07-29-2022, 09:17 AM
No doubt they do. But when you dont have anyone that could have played better than Lashley last year you are counting on a quantum leap of growth. There will obviously be growing pains with his successor. Fortunately our Sept is good for that before the tough ass October.

And we were damn close to winning 10 with a liability at RT. It cant be much worse whoever it is. We will be ok

Captain Falcon
07-29-2022, 09:30 AM
Cross just totally erased his side of the field on pass rush most games. Given what he was asked to do, that was easily one of the best seasons by an OL in school history. The only game we?ve ever played under Leach where Cross wasn?t starting at LT was that train wreck against Texas Tech.

I tend to think we find decent enough replacements at the tackles and go on to have a good year, but if you?re looking for something that has the potential to derail our season, beyond the obvious of injuries it?s probably the OL.

Johnson85
07-29-2022, 10:07 AM

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Reese will make that kind of jump going from his true freshman to RS freshman year. Certainly not guaranteed but most good OL are going to improve a lot between their first and second year on campus. And supposedly Reese was showing a lot of promise last year? Not sure that was from anybody that knows though.

But again, what Lashley gave us was only ok because we had the other side of the field locked down. We need Reese to be a good bit better than Lashley because we know our LT is going to take a step back.

Goldendawg
07-29-2022, 07:37 PM
That Lashley couldn't sniff the field at bama except for ST, and immediately started for us says it all about RT last year and any year. Hope several of our young linemen or Pearcy step up or we have issues at OT.

WhiskeyPirate
07-29-2022, 08:19 PM
That Lashley couldn't sniff the field at bama except for ST, and immediately started for us says it all about RT last year and any year. Hope several of our young linemen or Pearcy step up or we have issues at OT.

We could struggle this year but given the o line recruits we have brought in, I’d say we will have a very good o line soon no matter what.

HancockCountyDog
08-01-2022, 11:16 AM
We could struggle this year but given the o line recruits we have brought in, I’d say we will have a very good o line soon no matter what.

Yeah, but we have the other pieces in place on the team to have a really good team this year. We can't waste this year's defense. It is a talented defense that won't be here next year.

TrapGame
08-01-2022, 11:24 AM
We'll be better on OL than most think. Leach has always had good OLs with average talent. Will getting the ball out quickly is going to help a lot.

RezDog7
08-01-2022, 11:32 AM

Then why don't you cheer for those other SEC teams.

Catfish
08-01-2022, 11:43 AM
Then why don't you cheer for those other SEC teams.

LOL

msugolf
09-17-2022, 09:30 PM

Bump!