PDA

View Full Version : Sec qb rankings

TheLostDawg
07-21-2022, 07:21 PM
AL.com: Ranking the 14 SEC starting quarterbacks heading into 2022.
https://www.al.com/sports/2022/07/ranking-the-14-sec-starting-quarterbacks-heading-into-2022.html

Thoughts

Coach34
07-21-2022, 07:31 PM
Pretty good list actually and what a strong year in the SEC for QB's.

I'd put Bennett higher over Rattler and probably Levis and probably KJ over Rattler.
I think Hooker is pretty good but 2 is a tad high.
Dart at 10 is interesting considering he hasnt even won the job yet.
I think Johnson is exactly the type of QB Jimbo needs altho he still has to win the job as well.

Should be a good year in the SEC for QB's

Leeshouldveflanked
07-22-2022, 06:39 AM
I would bump KJ Jefferson up to either 3rd or 4th.

BrunswickDawg
07-22-2022, 07:31 AM
Pretty good list actually and what a strong year in the SEC for QB's.

I'd put Bennett higher over Rattler and probably Levis and probably KJ over Rattler.
I think Hooker is pretty good but 2 is a tad high.
Dart at 10 is interesting considering he hasnt even won the job yet.
I think Johnson is exactly the type of QB Jimbo needs altho he still has to win the job as well.

Should be a good year in the SEC for QB's

SEC Now did a breakdown of QB's - the consensus was that after Young, 2-8 was a pick 'em, and you could make an argument for any of Bennett/Rattler/Rogers/Hooker/Levis/Jefferson/Richardson to be anywhere in that span.
It really is a deep group of quality QB's.

RiverCityDawg
07-22-2022, 08:20 AM
SEC Now did a breakdown of QB's - the consensus was that after Young, 2-8 was a pick 'em, and you could make an argument for any of Bennett/Rattler/Rogers/Hooker/Levis/Jefferson/Richardson to be anywhere in that span.
It really is a deep group of quality QB's.

I have Hooker second, but I agree there is a case after #1 for anyone in that group... except Levis. I don't see a case for Levis being in that group based on what he's done so far.

Maybe it was the offense, we'll see with the new OC coming in, but good QB's generally throw for 200+ yards in SEC games more than once in a season. And he got to play the worst SEC teams.

BrunswickDawg
07-22-2022, 08:44 AM
I have Hooker second, but I agree there is a case after #1 for anyone in that group... except Levis. I don't see a case for Levis being in that group based on what he's done so far.

Maybe it was the offense, we'll see with the new OC coming in, but good QB's generally throw for 200+ yards in SEC games more than once in a season. And he got to play the worst SEC teams.

I think part of the Levis thing is he has residual "Penn State Hype" combined with some see him as a Tebow type (clean cut poster boy, ra-ra type leader) and that sells. Plus, they did have a 10 win season at a place that is historically tough to win.
Frankly, if we somehow win 10 you would see Will get the same type of consideration.

Johnson85
07-22-2022, 09:12 AM
Had no clue Abraham transferred to play football. Thought he was done because of concussions. Would have thought he'd be ranked above Myles Brennan.

Also crazy to see all the intraSEC transfers.

TrapGame
07-22-2022, 09:40 AM
Dart at #10 is a joke. The rumor is Altmeyer is better and would start today.

KJ Jefferson needs to be a little higher.

Abraham is one more concussion away from a wheelchair. Coach Drink must be desperate.

Tripp McNeely
07-22-2022, 10:03 AM
It's crazy to think that Abraham would be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart here...and he's the likely starter at Mizzou!

RiverCityDawg
07-22-2022, 12:51 PM
I think part of the Levis thing is he has residual "Penn State Hype" combined with some see him as a Tebow type (clean cut poster boy, ra-ra type leader) and that sells. Plus, they did have a 10 win season at a place that is historically tough to win.
Frankly, if we somehow win 10 you would see Will get the same type of consideration.

I think you're right about why, in addition to NFL scouts apparently liking his tools. But I just don't think Levis has the production needed to be in the discussion to this point. In contrast, if we were to win 10, Will would certainly be getting the same consideration because you KNOW he would have the production.

I just think these All-SEC teams and ranking should be based on what has actually been shown on the field, not what people think could be shown if they all the sudden look better than they ever have. If that's the measurement, Caleb Ducking should be All-SEC.

If people want to do a ranking based on their perception of raw tools, I guess that's their right. As Rosebowl always says, anybody can make a list...

Coach34
07-22-2022, 01:21 PM
I think you're right about why, in addition to NFL scouts apparently liking his tools. But I just don't think Levis has the production needed to be in the discussion to this point. In contrast, if we were to win 10, Will would certainly be getting the same consideration because you KNOW he would have the production.

I just think these All-SEC teams and ranking should be based on what has actually been shown on the field, not what people think could be shown if they all the sudden look better than they ever have. If that's the measurement, Caleb Ducking should be All-SEC.

If people want to do a ranking based on their perception of raw tools, I guess that's their right. As Rosebowl always says, anybody can make a list...

Levis did produce. He completed 66% of his passes and threw for 24 TD’s which was more than Jefferson or Coral last year. Because he plays in a conservative, run heavy offense shouldn’t be a reason to punish him. He is one of the best QB’s in the SEC.

TrapGame
07-22-2022, 02:10 PM
Levis did produce. He completed 66% of his passes and threw for 24 TD’s which was more than Jefferson or Coral last year. Because he plays in a conservative, run heavy offense shouldn’t be a reason to punish him. He is one of the best QB’s in the SEC.

Kentucky got a new OC too. Is he run heavy like the last one?

Coach34
07-22-2022, 02:38 PM
Kentucky got a new OC too. Is he run heavy like the last one?

Yes. They hired him because it would keep the system almost the same. He will sprinkle a little of the Rams O on them as well

BuckyIsAB****
07-22-2022, 05:30 PM
Idk what OM does to the media behind closed doors but Dart being ranked and Zach Evans on the All SEC team is hilarious. They both left for a reason

RiverCityDawg
07-22-2022, 06:04 PM

He threw for over 200 yards just once in SEC games with an SEC East schedule. 13 TDs to 8 Ints. His offense made it very easy for him and didn't ask him to do much. Maybe because they just wanted to run it, maybe because they knew they couldn't put it on his shoulders. Either way, he doesn't have the production those other guys have.

Coach34
07-22-2022, 06:39 PM
He threw for over 200 yards just once in SEC games with an SEC East schedule. 13 TDs to 8 Ints. His offense made it very easy for him and didn't ask him to do much. Maybe because they just wanted to run it, maybe because they knew they couldn't put it on his shoulders. Either way, he doesn't have the production those other guys have.

He only threw 27 passes per game. Their offensive strength was not WR. Their offensive strength was OL/RB

He threw more TD’s than Coral and Jefferson. That’s production
He led Kentucky 80 yards with 3 mins left in the game to win their bowl game against Iowa. That’s production
He led them to 10 wins. That’s production
Kentucky was 5th in the SEC in Scoring O. That’s production

WhiskeyPirate
07-22-2022, 09:13 PM
Levis did produce. He completed 66% of his passes and threw for 24 TD?s which was more than Jefferson or Coral last year. Because he plays in a conservative, run heavy offense shouldn?t be a reason to punish him. He is one of the best QB?s in the SEC.
Levi?s is much better as a passer than Jefferson. Jefferson is not a pro prospect and pretty mediocre throwing the ball. He?s a good college player in a run first ball control offense. I?ll give KJ this, he?s a better player than I thought he was.

Hooker is not #2

What?s new ? Sports writer nerds don?t know their ass from a hole in the ground