PDA

View Full Version : MSU Baseball Draft Thoughts

Todd4State
07-19-2022, 10:47 PM
Really good day for our program. We got 4-5 top 200 draft prospects in this class and three UA All-Americans. That's a REALLY good class. Sort of reminds me of 2015 in that this is a changing of the guard type class for us. Coming off of a very similar season too. After the draft- this is easily a top five class.

Getting Jarrengelo Clijinte and Bradley Loftin was absolutely huge for us. Both have a chance to be front line SEC starters. Clijinte will bring a lot of attention because of the fact that he is ambidextrous. Loftin has a chance to be a first rounder for us. Evan Siary may end up being a steal for us. He has had some health issues but he could be another steal in this class. He could also end up being like CC Watson and never get healthy. I also like Will Gibbs and Max Miller too. Both have a chance to be rotation guys for us and are very good pitchers. I like adding Logan Forsythe- he was at one time thought to potentially be the best player in the state his 9th grade year, as well as McLain Ray and Austin Tommasinni and Brock Tapper all from strong programs in Mississippi. That's a good core to build a solid bullpen around.

Highfill is our catcher of the future. He'll catch some this year and then take over completely as a sophomore. Bryce Hubbard is another good prospect at catcher too- I wouldn't be surprised if he moves to another position like Hunter Stovall or Luke Hancock to get his bat in the lineup.

We lost Jett Williams and Jackson Parker but David Mershon is a really good defensive shortstop/second base prospect from a baseball family and Jay Murdock has a ton of power and reminds me of Bruce Castoria. My question is whether he can play third base or not with Hines and our other potential first base prospects coming in? Murdock I think will be a fan favorite by the time he leaves. We have some good MIF prospects in the next class like Ethan Pulliam that we can pair up with this class.

Getting Dakota Jordan to school was huge. I was a little worried about him going in the draft once he dropped football. He can play any outfield spot for us and may start next year. Hollis Porter is super athletic and could be a surprise player for some people. Bryce Chance essentially falls to this class after he redshirted and I think he could play outfield for us.

Getting Colby Holcombe was huge for us. Hopefully he is the anti- Andrew Walling and becomes a front line ace for us. Foxhall is on the clock here after the Walling disaster. Another year of massive injuries and lack of development - see Fristoe and KC Hunt- then I can't see how we keep him. There is too much talent here for "coincidence" to happen.

The players drafted- I've heard that there is still a chance that we keep Hunt, Kam James, and Hancock. If we get Brandon Smith back that's also a good thing. The others are basically signing. Congrats to RJ Yeager for signing with the Cardinals! I wouldn't be shocked if he makes it. Going to be interesting to see if NIL gets involved with some of these veterans and helps us keep them.

We've done very well in the portal. Losing Bill Knight stings some- but worst case scenario we're looking at Dakota Jordan starting in CF/LF with Ledbetter starting CF/LF and Slate Alford at third. If Kam James comes back we can now start him in the OF- I would go with LF with Ledbetter in CF in that situation. We still may pull the trigger on Ethan Groff too. Aaron Nixon, Ledbetter, and Ahmani Larry are going to fill major holes for us next year. I think we add 3-4 more players from the portal depending on how things go with some of our veterans.

We still are in Ok shape with Paul Skenes who is going to visit Arkansas and Oregon State over the next two weeks. Don't expect anything on that front until August. Expect some names to pop up later this week too. I don't think Lemonis is going to play around very much with the portal.

The Federalist Engineer
07-19-2022, 11:23 PM
Thanks Todd.

I am on family vacation this week with the kids not letting me look into sports. I'm now the Griswold dad.

Seems that MLB went strong for College kids. Feels more than usual. Tennessee lost None. Ole Miss lost 2 but keeping a monster class of top-200 players. Arkansas just losing 1. LSU had a ridiculous class that should have been shredded by the draft - but they are keeping the very impressive core. TAMU lost nothing but not a huge class. Vandy lost the fantasy talent like Dru Jones, but still impressive

SEC baseball is going to be 1/2 of the MLB 1st and 2nd round from here out if this continues.

MSU will need portal supplements big time to compete with these incredible arsenals of talent in the SEC.

basedog
07-20-2022, 06:35 AM
Competition is a good thing, out with the old and in with the new. Seems MLB teams aren't throwing money around like they used to. Times are changing fast in sports. I don't see any drafted guys coming back.

AlSwearengen
07-20-2022, 07:07 AM
Thanks Todd.

I am on family vacation this week with the kids not letting me look into sports. I'm now the Griswold dad.

Seems that MLB went strong for College kids. Feels more than usual. Tennessee lost None. Ole Miss lost 2 but keeping a monster class of top-200 players. Arkansas just losing 1. LSU had a ridiculous class that should have been shredded by the draft - but they are keeping the very impressive core. TAMU lost nothing but not a huge class. Vandy lost the fantasy talent like Dru Jones, but still impressive

SEC baseball is going to be 1/2 of the MLB 1st and 2nd round from here out if this continues.

MSU will need portal supplements big time to compete with these incredible arsenals of talent in the SEC.

Yeah. State fans seem to live in such a vacuum that they probably have no idea that any of this happened and will be wondering why we aren’t dominating every year. Everyone was was hooting and hollering b/c we were going to have NIL for baseball. Who thought lsu, olemiss, Arkansas, etc was going to let MSU outspend them? In this new day and age of sports, we are going to be fighting tooth and nail and won’t be dominating anything on a regular basis.

TNDawg35
07-20-2022, 08:44 AM
Vandy had 8 top 100, they will keep 2
LSU had 11 top 100, they will keep 6
State had 5 and we will keep 4 of them.

Other than LSU’s 6 we have more top 100 kids coming in than any other school in the nation.

This class is well built along with the portal pick ups and I’m hearing we’re far from done. Everyone was waiting on the draft.

Hot Rock
07-20-2022, 09:04 AM
Really good information. Thank You !!!

As the roster looks to be now, it should be well setup for the future. Add a couple more, this team could be in Omaha again next year. Once you get there, it's the hot team.

Homedawg
07-20-2022, 09:45 AM
Siary is a interesting thing. He was 92-93 when he committed. He was hurt this year and wasnt close to his former self. Sat at 86-88 topped at 91 and that was once in the 3/4 times I saw him. Either getting a boom or bust.
I think James is gone, hunt is more than likely gone, and Hancock, as I was told isn't sure what he wants to do. Also don't think Brandon smith is back either.

Pancho
07-20-2022, 03:52 PM
Yeah. State fans seem to live in such a vacuum that they probably have no idea that any of this happened and will be wondering why we aren’t dominating every year. Everyone was was hooting and hollering b/c we were going to have NIL for baseball. Who thought lsu, olemiss, Arkansas, etc was going to let MSU outspend them? In this new day and age of sports, we are going to be fighting tooth and nail and won’t be dominating anything on a regular basis.

So all sports are basically to be given up on now at MSU. Thanks for the heads up*********

Goldendawg
07-20-2022, 03:52 PM
Really good information. Thank You !!!

As the roster looks to be now, it should be well setup for the future. Add a couple more, this team could be in Omaha again next year. Once you get there, it's the hot team.

Better hope all these new pieces can become a "team" very quickly. Hail State!

AlSwearengen
07-20-2022, 04:42 PM
So all sports are basically to be given up on now at MSU. Thanks for the heads up*********

Not at all. I just hate to hear hot seat talk from the fan base after one bad season, especially with all of the intricacies of baseball recruiting, roster turnover, and the draft. Add NIL and the transfer portal to the mix and there are bound to be swings from season to season and the fans need to get a grip on that and that even though we have facilities and fan support, most everyone else in the conference does as well.

Goldendawg
07-20-2022, 05:17 PM
Not at all. I just hate to hear hot seat talk from the fan base after one bad season, especially with all of the intricacies of baseball recruiting, roster turnover, and the draft. Add NIL and the transfer portal to the mix and there are bound to be swings from season to season and the fans need to get a grip on that and that even though we have facilities and fan support, most everyone else in the conference does as well.

From National Champion to last in the West and not even making Hoover was far more than a "bad season". Hope our 2023 season is a successful rebuild.

Pancho
07-20-2022, 05:18 PM
i think all involved from Lemo on down are fully aware and engaged for the challenge.

Cooterpoot
07-20-2022, 08:03 PM
Competition is a good thing, out with the old and in with the new. Seems MLB teams aren't throwing money around like they used to. Times are changing fast in sports. I don't see any drafted guys coming back.

Hunt is probably the only one even remotely considering it and he's still probably gone. James is gone.

662dawg
07-20-2022, 10:18 PM
Hunt is probably the only one even remotely considering it and he's still probably gone. James is gone.

Is James being encouraged to leave?

Todd4State
07-21-2022, 12:18 AM
Siary is a interesting thing. He was 92-93 when he committed. He was hurt this year and wasnt close to his former self. Sat at 86-88 topped at 91 and that was once in the 3/4 times I saw him. Either getting a boom or bust.
I think James is gone, hunt is more than likely gone, and Hancock, as I was told isn't sure what he wants to do. Also don't think Brandon smith is back either.

I get guys not wanting to come back.

Most of them have been to Omaha multiple times, won a National Championship and have left their mark on the program. And then this year had to have been absolutely frustrating and I'm sure they heard and dealt with fan complaints and things like that. And because of that Lemonis is putting almost every spot on the team up for grabs essentially and we're not done with the portal yet. Kam James for example- if he comes back he's going to have to compete with Alford for the third base job and then also fight in the outfield mix as well with Ledbetter, Dakota Jordan, Kellum Clark, and maybe even others. I think Kam would win a spot- but there is some degree of pressure also and not completely a given.

HoopsDawg
07-21-2022, 12:20 AM
Is James being encouraged to leave?

No. Of course not.

Todd4State
07-21-2022, 12:25 AM

We've had it happen twice the past 10 years. That's very unacceptable to me. At the same time I will acknowledge that the highs were very, very, very high and the biggest highs we've ever had at MSU. I just think that MSU baseball shouldn't have seasons where we go 26-30. Not with what we have. Yes, everyone else has good facilities and most have some degree of good fan support- but only three schools in the SEC have that at the highest level in the SEC- Arkansas, LSU, and Mississippi State. I'm sorry- I'm not buying the multiple pitcher injuries as "bad luck".

From National Champion to last in the West and not even making Hoover was far more than a "bad season". Hope our 2023 season is a successful rebuild.

Lemonis has responded well in the offseason. I think he rights the ship. He knows what is at stake and I can tell by the types of players we're bringing in that we're going to be more like what we saw from 2016-2021 as far as how we're built.

maroonmania
07-21-2022, 06:50 AM
Curious as to what happened with Jackson Parker? He doesn't appear to have been drafted. Were there other issues with him?

Pancho
07-21-2022, 07:01 AM
I think he got a bit homesick and left campus and intends t transfer.

basedog
07-21-2022, 07:01 AM
No. Of course not.

Hmmm, iffy I think, but maybe not from the coaches. Unless he just loves college life and playing college ball, then come back, but if he wants to try for the big leagues, take the money now. Just saying.

Hot Rock
07-21-2022, 08:10 AM
I get guys not wanting to come back.

Most of them have been to Omaha multiple times, won a National Championship and have left their mark on the program. And then this year had to have been absolutely frustrating and I'm sure they heard and dealt with fan complaints and things like that. And because of that Lemonis is putting almost every spot on the team up for grabs essentially and we're not done with the portal yet. Kam James for example- if he comes back he's going to have to compete with Alford for the third base job and then also fight in the outfield mix as well with Ledbetter, Dakota Jordan, Kellum Clark, and maybe even others. I think Kam would win a spot- but there is some degree of pressure also and not completely a given.

Yes, Players leaving is what must be expected. Anyone staying past 3 years should never be expected, appreciated but not expected. You get drafted high enough after year 3, you gotta go. You may get drafted higher your senior year but they lowball you with signing bonus then because they know you can't go back to school. This stuff should be common knowledge but for some reason it has to be explained over and over.

We hit it just right with the shortened Covid draft to keep Tanner Allen and him going undrafted that year.

Make it clear, i know you know this. It's the ones complaining of guys leaving with eligibility left. That is the system in place.

basedog
07-21-2022, 08:55 AM
Yes, Players leaving is what must be expected. Anyone staying past 3 years should never be expected, appreciated but not expected. You get drafted high enough after year 3, you gotta go. You may get drafted higher your senior year but they lowball you with signing bonus then because they know you can't go back to school. This stuff should be common knowledge but for some reason it has to be explained over and over.

We hit it just right with the shortened Covid draft to keep Tanner Allen and him going undrafted that year.

Make it clear, i know you know this. It's the ones complaining of guys leaving with eligibility left. That is the system in place.

Good points and I agree, as bad as I would love to see players stick around but making the "jump" to the next level is better to start early. It's extremely difficult to make a ML team, odds are low, also playing in the minors is pretty tough trying to make a living chasing one's dream. But to each their own as families should know best, not the "me included" message board posters.

Commercecomet24
07-21-2022, 09:42 AM
Curious as to what happened with Jackson Parker? He doesn't appear to have been drafted. Were there other issues with him?

Homesick/girlfriend. Jack has never been anywhere but stringer surrounded by family and same friends forever, and local legend.. Happens to a lot of small town guys.

Coach34
07-21-2022, 10:29 AM
My point tho is that this year is different because of C19 our 3 year guys have 5 years- not 4. So they still have leverage if they aren’t getting much of an offer

Commercecomet24
07-21-2022, 10:38 AM
My point tho is that this year is different because of C19 our 3 year guus have 5 years- not 4. So they still have leverage if they aren?t getting much of an offer

Exactly. I think some folks are forgetting about the covid year. I can understand if guys are just ready to move on but if you're drafted 11-20 why not comeback and try to improve your stock. If you don't improve you're likely to get same money next year. I do understand though if guys are just ready to move on but I think I'd take a shot at betting on myself to get better

Hot Rock
07-21-2022, 10:45 AM
My point tho is that this year is different because of C19 our 3 year guus have 5 years- not 4. So they still have leverage if they aren?t getting much of an offer

Some may have an extra year but if you get drafted at an acceptable place after year 3 you go. You are missing an important component. A players age. Once they get so old, you will not get drafted as high or get as much $$$. After year 3, you get drafted with the signing bonus you are looking to get, you go get your monies. No way do I advise someone to stay unless I have a reasonable expectation that they will make a lot more money and in most cases they will not. This is about that player's life at that point.

The only way Tanner Allen stayed another year even with the extra eligibility was because of the shortened draft. He wasn't drafted. Great for us, but to expect any of them to stay is wrong. If they chose to take their chance on having a "Great Year" after 3 years of not being great. Then that is our good fortune but never expect them to sacrifice their shot to get paid.

basedog
07-21-2022, 10:46 AM
Exactly. I think some folks are forgetting about the covid year. I can understand if guys are just ready to move on but if you're drafted 11-20 why not comeback and try to improve your stock. If you don't improve you're likely to get same money next year. I do understand though if guys are just ready to move on but I think I'd take a shot at betting on myself to get better

Age plays a part, I think if you are 21 or younger maybe so, but the ML likes younger guys in the minors, covid or not they still are academically juniors or seniors. I just don't know if $100K is worth it, depends on what their future holds as far as careers.

Over the last few years, I have changed my thoughts on to go or stay, if your dream is playing in the big leagues then go. It isn't always about the money after a few rounds imo.

basedog
07-21-2022, 10:48 AM
Some may have an extra year but if you get drafted at an acceptable place after year 3 you go. You are missing an important component. A players age. Once they get so old, you will not get drafted as high or get as much $$$. After year 3, you get drafted with the signing bonus you are looking to get, you go get your monies. No way do I advise someone to stay unless I have a reasonable expectation that they will make a lot more money and in most cases they will not. This is about that player's life at that point.

The only way Tanner Allen stayed another year even with the extra eligibility was because of the shortened draft. He wasn't drafted. Great for us, but to expect any of them to stay is wrong. If they chose to take their chance on having a "Great Year" after 3 years of not being great. Then that is our good fortune but never expect them to sacrifice their shot to get paid.

You read my mind Hot Rock, we have the exact same thoughts, LOL.

Hot Rock
07-21-2022, 10:55 AM

as I said to C34 - A players age comes into play as well, MLB teams don't draft old college players as high or pay them big bonuses very often. After 3 years, unless you have had some sort of injury set back that prevented you from showing your abilities then you are who your play has shown who you are.

Do not expect guys to stick around passed year 3 no matter their eligibility. When they do, just accept your good fortune.

Commercecomet24
07-21-2022, 11:02 AM
as I said to C34 - A players age comes into play as well, MLB teams don't draft old college players as high or pay them big bonuses very often. After 3 years, unless you have had some sort of injury set back that prevented you from showing your abilities then you are who your play has shown who you are.

Do not expect guys to stick around passed year 3 no matter their eligibility. When they do, just accept your good fortune.

Sure age comes into play but you're not getting big money drafted 11-20, just not. One more year isn't going to make a difference in bonus money at this level, talk to some scouts they'll tell you the same. Now as I said if guys are ready to go give it a shot I understand completely. But if you don't think guys can improve their draft stock in one year there are countless cases where that's happened. The average signing bonus last year for 11-20 was 75k with many getting 20-30k, after taxes that's nothing, once again I understand if a guy wants to leave but I'd give it another year.

Coach34
07-21-2022, 11:10 AM
Sure age comes into play but you're not getting big money drafted 11-20, just not. One more year isn't going to make a difference in bonus money at this level, talk to some scouts they'll tell you the same. Now as I said if guys are ready to go give it a shot I understand completely. But if you don't think guys can improve their draft stock in one year there are countless cases where that's happened. The average signing bonus last year for 11-20 was 75k with many getting 20-30k, after taxes that's nothing, once again I understand if a guy wants to leave but I'd give it another year.

Exactly. Hunt can get 80K now or prove himself to be a good SEC SP and bump it to 400-500K next year....maybe more. Thats a huge difference especially considering guys in the minors make shit. Whats the worst that happens- he gets drafted next summer and offered 80K again?

HoopsDawg
07-21-2022, 11:13 AM
Exactly. Hunt can get 80K now or prove himself to be a good SEC SP and bump it to 400-500K next year....maybe more. Thats a huge difference especially considering guys in the minors make shit. Whats the worst that happens- he gets drafted next summer and offered 80K again?

Makes a lot of sense for Hunt to return. If he were my son it would take at least 300k for him to sign now. He was great in the preseason for us.

basedog
07-21-2022, 11:31 AM

Sometimes you have to face reality, I wish Hunt all the best and anyone who plays for Msu.

The Federalist Engineer
07-21-2022, 01:04 PM
So who are the instant impact candidates and what position?

Holcombe is the power closer?

Loftin can be anything he is ready for.

Highfill is already a grown man. Cheese has excellent material to work with.

Dakota Johnson is he baseball 1st or Football 1st?

Cijntje a recruit this big (34 overall) has to have starter ambition, this is a JT Ginn profile recruit

So the 2023 starter candidates are:

Cade, Skenes, Cijntje, Loftin, Holcombe, and Gartman

This a good starting position for competition and Depth. I like the volume, just rotate the 3 hottest arms and let people rest as needed.

Homedawg
07-21-2022, 01:10 PM
Dakota isn't playing football.

Pancho
07-21-2022, 04:35 PM
Holcombe's role is TBD since Nixon came from Texas to play at the Dude.

BrunswickDawg
07-21-2022, 05:20 PM

I think age used to come into play, but gutting the minors changes things. Teams can let guys go 4 years, draft them at less money, stash them in AA instead of rookie ball or low A and lessen their overall investment in players. It's why you saw a shit ton more college guys drafted this year. You are going to see a lot more guys like Cole Gordon and RJ Yeager than you used to.

HoopsDawg
07-21-2022, 06:08 PM

Cijntje a recruit this big (34 overall) has to have starter ambition, this is a JT Ginn profile recruit

This a good starting position for competition and Depth. I like the volume, just rotate the 3 hottest arms and let people rest as needed.

Instant Impact: Nixon, Dohm, Gartman, Holcombe as pitchers will contribute right away. Nixon as closer, Holcome as set up man. Ledbetter will start in the OF and Larry will start at 2B.

Loftin will get some midweek work. I see him maybe being a matchup guy on weekends as the season matures if he develops. It's really tough as a true freshman.

Highfill is probably better than anyone we can get in the portal so he will have to start if Hancock moves on.

Dakota is baseball only. Like Loftin, it will be an adjustment.

Coach34
07-21-2022, 06:51 PM
Former player I know thinks Loftin will compete for the Sunday job this Fall. Says he is the best Sr he has seen in awhile

Based on what I'm hearing- I wouldnt get any hopes up on getting Skenes either

Homedawg
07-21-2022, 07:03 PM
Highfill is going to be a good player. But, if he starts every game there are going to be some people really upset and he will get crucified for not being Jake magnum. It's going to take a minute for him at the plate. He is an elite elite athlete. Again, I think he's going to be good. But we have to get a catcher from the portal. We only have 2 on the roster and both are freahmen. =disaster.

AlSwearengen
07-21-2022, 07:21 PM
Former player I know thinks Loftin will compete for the Sunday job this Fall. Says he is the best Sr he has seen in awhile

Yeah, Skenes is from California so Oregon St. makes a lot of sense. LSU losing the usm pitcher to Florida might make them push harder and free up more money for him.

Coach34
07-21-2022, 07:25 PM
Yeah, Skenes is from California so Oregon St. makes a lot of sense. LSU losing the usm pitcher to Florida might make them push harder and free up more money for him.

Skenes is choosing between us, UPig, LSU, Vandy, Oregon St and others. We very rarely win those types of battles.

maroonmania
07-21-2022, 07:32 PM

Yea, and 80K under Biden is only about what 40K was 2 years ago. Point being, it ain't what it used to be and that doesn't even consider taxes.

Coach34
07-21-2022, 07:41 PM
LSU losing the usm pitcher to Florida might make them push harder and free up more money for him.

Oh and to show where baseball is getting in NIL? Rumor of the day is Flo-Rida paid 500K NIL to the USM pitcher to pull him and beat LSU

Commercecomet24
07-21-2022, 07:45 PM
I think age used to come into play, but gutting the minors changes things. Teams can let guys go 4 years, draft them at less money, stash them in AA instead of rookie ball or low A and lessen their overall investment in players. It's why you saw a shit ton more college guys drafted this year. You are going to see a lot more guys like Cole Gordon and RJ Yeager than you used to.

Exactly! Things have changed.

Commercecomet24
07-21-2022, 07:51 PM

Loftin got a high ceiling but his command needs work bad. Gets behind in counts to often. Not a knock on him because he's a young power guy and they tend to be that way, but I don't know if he's gonna be an sec rotation guy next spring. I hope he turns into the next Eric Dubose though and like I said high high ceiling. Tapper is a more polished pitcher at this point and commands 3 pitches well but he doesn't have near the ceiling as Loftin

maroonmania
07-21-2022, 07:58 PM
Loftin got a high ceiling but his command needs work bad.

No worries, Fox will get that fixed up pronto.**

HoopsDawg
07-21-2022, 09:11 PM
Loftin got a high ceiling but his command needs work bad. Gets behind in counts to be often. Not a knock on him because he's a young power guy and they tend to be that way, but I don't know if he's gonna be an sec rotation guy next spring. I hope he turns into the next Eric Dubose though and like I said high high ceiling. Tapper is a more polished pitcher at this point and commands 3 pitches well but he doesn't have near the ceiling as Loftin

Spot on.

Coach34
07-21-2022, 09:33 PM
Spot on.

I am not shitting on you guys opinions- but one of my very good friends that is a former player thinks Loftin will be the Sunday starter or at worst our midweek guy. Says he wasnt a 2nd rounder because they were firm on 1st round money. We shall see

Commercecomet24
07-21-2022, 10:11 PM
I am not shitting on you guys opinions- but one of my very good friends that is a former player thinks Loftin will be the Sunday starter or at worst our midweek guy. Says he wasnt a 2nd rounder because they were firm on 1st round money. We shall see

Loftin definitely has the potential to be a stud and I hope he turns into one by the spring. His command problems are a concern to me but I believe before he leaves here he'll be a first rounder. I see him being the midweek guy next year but I hope you're right and he turns into an sec rotation guy instead.

StarkVegasSteve
07-21-2022, 10:17 PM
We have a fallback plan if Skenes does not work out. We won?t be left hanging, ala Moseley.

Todd4State
07-21-2022, 10:44 PM

We need Holcombe to take a rotation spot even if it's midweek. We've had too many high end JUCO's never pan out.

Dakota Jordan is baseball only.

I don't have any expectations for Clijinte or Loftin as of now. I'm glad to have both and they might be in the rotation but they also may be guys that we pitch midweek against JSU. They'll definitely be rotation guys in the future. Clijinte is no where near JT Ginn territory.

As far as instant impact? Probably Highfill and Jordan. But I also don't think Lemonis is completely relying on them.

We're about to have a big portal weekend coming up. I'm not too worried about Skenes because I think we're going to make sure we fill our holes and then if he chooses us then that's gravy on top of everything else.

Todd4State
07-21-2022, 10:45 PM
Loftin definitely has the potential to be a stud and I hope he turns into one by the spring. His command problems are a concern to me but I believe before he leaves here he'll be a first rounder. I see him being the midweek guy next year but I hope you're right and he turns into an sec rotation guy instead.

I heard Loftin struggled some with command in the playoffs. I didn't see any of their games so maybe I misheard.

Commercecomet24
07-21-2022, 10:51 PM
I heard Loftin struggled some with command in the playoffs. I didn't see any of their games so maybe I misheard.

I watched him pitch against nwr in state championship and they hammered him because he kept falling behind in the counts. Saw him a couple of times and
he did same thing but he was facing inferior teams and could overcome it. He couldn't against nwr. But he does have a very high ceiling the stuff is definitely there, just has to harness it.

Todd4State
07-22-2022, 12:40 AM
I watched him pitch against nwr in state championship and they hammered him because he kept falling behind in the counts. Saw him a couple of times and
he did same thing but he was facing inferior teams and could overcome it. He couldn't against nwr. But he does have a very high ceiling the stuff is definitely there, just has to harness it.

May have been trying to do too much too trying to impress scouts. Pitchers that try to strike out everyone tend to get behind in the count. Pitching is just so counterintuitive like that. Best high school pitcher out of Mississippi I ever saw was Kirk Presley probably followed by Chris Stratton.

Saltydog
07-22-2022, 08:23 AM
Skenes is choosing between us, UPig, LSU, Vandy, Oregon St and others. We very rarely win those types of battles.

Well, if that's the case then I say our chances of getting him have severely diminished........

The Federalist Engineer
07-22-2022, 11:32 PM
We need Holcombe to take a rotation spot even if it's midweek. We've had too many high end JUCO's never pan out.

Dakota Jordan is baseball only.

I don't have any expectations for Clijinte or Loftin as of now. I'm glad to have both and they might be in the rotation but they also may be guys that we pitch midweek against JSU. They'll definitely be rotation guys in the future. Clijinte is no where near JT Ginn territory.

As far as instant impact? Probably Highfill and Jordan. But I also don't think Lemonis is completely relying on them.

We're about to have a big portal weekend coming up. I'm not too worried about Skenes because I think we're going to make sure we fill our holes and then if he chooses us then that's gravy on top of everything else.

#34 overall recruit, that is a number range MSU has very few players in. Ginn was a 20-something. Hoglund was 40-something. Cole Wilcox was awesome at UGA when not injured. Guys in that range are often 1st or 2nd in their last draft. A few guys are busts like Derek Diamond, still drafted in a single-digit round.

KOdawg1
07-23-2022, 08:26 AM
The big portal weekend seemed to be overhyped by the 247 guys. We had one transfer on campus yesterday and might add another today.

But baseball recruiting is more tight lipped than other sports, so maybe there's more