PDA

View Full Version : So let's see on baseball.....

Coach34
07-19-2022, 06:35 PM
Now that the draft is over:

Hancock wasnt drafted just as I figured he would not be. Never understood anybody worrying about that.
Yeagerbomb going undrafted is very surprising. I would have lost that bet.

Hunt and Jack drafted in the 12th is interesting. Hunt has a big decision depending on what he is offered. He could return and raise his stock for sure with a good, healthy season. Curious to see what they offer him. Jack could return and possibly improve his position as well- but I think it's a bigger roll of the dice for him.

James almost has to return. Thanks to C19 he still has leverage. He needs to show he can play the OF and play it well.

We couldn't have asked for a better draft in recruiting. We have a top 5 recruiting class entering the Fall.

Now- let's see if the staff can pull our final big fish from the portal. Would be a great finish to the offseason and give us some real excitement about 2023.

viverlibre
07-19-2022, 06:44 PM
So Yeager is done, counting COVID years and all? I hate we wasted him on that train wreck of a season.

Choctaw Dawg
07-19-2022, 07:10 PM
Yep, Yeager is done eligibility wise. Hate it for him, he most likely will get signed I hope.

All things are pointing to Fristoe and Hunt not coming back. Hancock is a toss up from what I have heard but I think he is going to move on due to his age.

I honestly don't think James returns either.

Saltydog
07-19-2022, 07:36 PM
Losing all 4 of those would hurt big time....We could be very good next year with those guys.....W/O them we'll be bottom half of the league.....

Coach34
07-19-2022, 07:39 PM
I think Luke comes back to catch
James had a money number supposedly before the draft to get him to leave- and it’s closer to a million than 150K

The pitchers are way more intriguing to me

Bothrops
07-19-2022, 07:50 PM
So Yeager is done, counting COVID years and all? I hate we wasted him on that train wreck of a season.

What a waste.

Cooterpoot
07-19-2022, 07:50 PM
I believe James is gone. Hunt is likely gone too if he gets any kind of money. Fristoe is gone. Hancock was leaning on leaving but we shall see. Rumor is Brandon Smith doesn't really want to come back, so we'll see on him too.
We desperately need some pitching. C could get pretty scary. CF is a question mark. Skenes is going on other visits. That's not good.
But, we cleaned up on our HS guys. FR will need to contribute some.

Bothrops
07-19-2022, 07:58 PM
I believe James is gone. Hunt is likely gone too if he gets any kind of money. Fristoe is gone. Hancock was leaning on leaving but we shall see. Rumor is Brandon Smith doesn't really want to come back, so we'll see on him too.
We desperately need some pitching. C could get pretty scary. CF is a question mark. Skenes is going on other visits. That's not good.

We build out palace and recruiting gets harder. Lol

Choctaw Dawg
07-19-2022, 08:07 PM

Yeah out of the bunch listed Fristoe is practically the guarantee to leave so far. The odds with the others are not favorable however I do think we are still gunning hard for Skenes.

I have no idea what Brandon Smith is planning to do

msubaseball5976
07-19-2022, 11:23 PM
I can tell you with 100% certainty that Luke will not be back next year. He is done.

Hot Rock
07-21-2022, 08:22 AM
Losing all four of those guys should be expected. You cannot stay another year if you get an opportunity to go get paid now. You just can't. If you use up your eligibility you have no leverage when it comes to signing bonuses. You will get lowballed.

As far as Luke is concerned. I know his Dad very well and they are a great family. I have not asked him and don't intend to ask him. I hope he does what's best for Luke. You have to take care of you or nobody else will.

He gave State his all, helped win us a title and if he thinks it's time to move on then so be it. I will forever be a fan. It's up to Lemonis to be prepared for such things.

Jack Lambert
07-21-2022, 08:33 AM
I can tell you with 100% certainty that Luke will not be back next year. He is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoiGZ47aRao

Lord McBuckethead
07-21-2022, 08:44 AM
Yeager signed with St. Louis I believe.

Saltydog
07-21-2022, 10:42 AM
Man, I hate that. He was a very dependable player and I was hoping he'd get a decent NIL deal and decide to hang on one more year.

Tripp McNeely
07-21-2022, 11:00 AM
Man, I hate that. He was a very dependable player and I was hoping he'd get a decent NIL deal and decide to hang on one more year.

He was out of eligibility

viverlibre
07-21-2022, 11:51 AM
On Bo Bound's show this AM, Rosebowl said it's better than 50/50 that KC Hunt comes back.

State82
07-21-2022, 12:03 PM
He was out of eligibility

Salty may have been referring to Hancock.

Saltydog
07-21-2022, 12:24 PM
Salty may have been referring to Hancock.

Yes, I was ..........

confucius say
07-21-2022, 12:50 PM

Wow. Getting a normal job and starting life? Or trying to catch on as a free agent?

Coach34
07-21-2022, 01:01 PM

I certainly hope thats not true. I think it would be a decision he will regret the rest of his life starting about 5 years from now. He has the rest of his life to go work at a job day after day after day after day. While the demands of being a college athlete are high- so are the rewards. Never having the crowd cheer for you and scream your name again becomes something you miss very much, especially the farther you get away from it.

Not to mention coming back and playing for a winning team beats going out on a losing team.

Commercecomet24
07-21-2022, 03:00 PM
I certainly hope thats not true. I think it would be a decision he will regret the rest of his life starting about 5 years from now. He has the rest of his life to go work at a job day after day after day after day. While the demands of being a college athlete are high- so are the rewards. Never having the crowd cheer for you and scream your name again becomes something you miss very much, especially the farther you get away from it.

Not to mention coming back and playing for a winning team beats going out on a losing team.

Amen to this! All true.

basedog
07-21-2022, 03:19 PM
Amen to this! All true.

Maybe he is burned out, it happens more than many think. He was one of those can't miss stars according to Polk way back. Polk discovered Luke when he was 8th gradr, I listen to Polk a few years back talking about Luke and how he was shocked to find out he was 14 years old.

I think it's a lot more to all this than what many of us don't know about certain kids and family situations. Again, I'm all in for kids staying in school and getting an education.

Lastly, this has nothing to anyone or any player, but way back when while I was Coaching, my dream was to be a college basketball coach. Well, I was for two years, loved it but things changed rapidly in one month right after the season. I was offered a job I couldn't refuse mostly because of my financial situation and being divorced. I never will forget my friends and especially my mother shocked when I announced I was leaving the coaching profession. It took years for me to get it out of my system, fact is I was offered two different High School jobs several years ago, when we talked money, I couldn't turn back and start all over. I was a driven person, but things change for a reason. Sorry to bore you guys with this, just speaking generally how things aren't always what you dream or want.

Offshore Dawg
07-21-2022, 06:20 PM
Everybody gets delt a hand how you play it is your business ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Commercecomet24
07-21-2022, 08:07 PM
Maybe he is burned out, it happens more than many think. He was one of those can't miss stars according to Polk way back. Polk discovered Luke when he was 8th gradr, I listen to Polk a few years back talking about Luke and how he was shocked to find out he was 14 years old.

I think it's a lot more to all this than what many of us don't know about certain kids and family situations. Again, I'm all in for kids staying in school and getting an education.

Lastly, this has nothing to anyone or any player, but way back when while I was Coaching, my dream was to be a college basketball coach. Well, I was for two years, loved it but things changed rapidly in one month right after the season. I was offered a job I couldn't refuse mostly because of my financial situation and being divorced. I never will forget my friends and especially my mother shocked when I announced I was leaving the coaching profession. It took years for me to get it out of my system, fact is I was offered two different High School jobs several years ago, when we talked money, I couldn't turn back and start all over. I was a driven person, but things change for a reason. Sorry to bore you guys with this, just speaking generally how things aren't always what you dream or want.

I hear ya Base. Similar happened to me. Got married needed more money and had to give up the coaching dream. Luckily I got to get into the travel/showcase coaching business and had a blast but I sure regret I didn't continue doing it for a living when I was younger. That being said I've had a good life.

I don't blame any of these players for doing what they think is best for them. I've known a lot of guys over the years though that regret giving up to soon. You can only wear the uniform so long and I say wear it for as long as you can. I wish I could play the game again. I appreciate all the guys that have worn the maroon and white abs wish them the very best in life not just baseball. I hope they all have wonderful and successful lives and families.

Coach34
07-21-2022, 08:18 PM
I don't blame any of these players for doing what they think is best for them. I've known a lot of guys over the years though that regret giving up to soon. You can only wear the uniform so long and I say wear it for as long as you can. I wish I could play the game again.

Same here. I got offended out of juco because I was asked to walk-on instead of given some level of scholly. I wish I had played longer and not given up my time. Once that door closes- it's done. Luke better understand that

Commercecomet24
07-21-2022, 08:24 PM
Same here. I got offended out of juco because I was asked to walk-on instead of given some level of scholly. I wish I had played longer and not given up my time. Once that door closes- it's done. Luke better understand that

100%, right there with ya!

basedog
07-21-2022, 09:09 PM
I hear ya Base. Similar happened to me. Got married needed more money and had to give up the coaching dream. Luckily I got to get into the travel/showcase coaching business and had a blast but I sure regret I didn't continue doing it for a living when I was younger. That being said I've had a good life.

I don't blame any of these players for doing what they think is best for them. I've known a lot of guys over the years though that regret giving up to soon. You can only wear the uniform so long and I say wear it for as long as you can. I wish I could play the game again. I appreciate all the guys that have worn the maroon and white abs wish them the very best in life not just baseball. I hope they all have wonderful and successful lives and families.

I understand where u r coming from about players not giving up. U know way more than I on baseball and I appreciate your input. Once a coach, always a coach, it never goes away and most understand athletes much better than most fans. Not a knock to anyone.

basedog
07-21-2022, 09:16 PM

Good insight 34, u also having a Coaching career understand sports as well. None of us are always right but most coaches I know can make decisions quickly during the action.
U also know more bout baseball than I but I know sports, LOL.

Todd4State
07-22-2022, 12:44 AM
It sure does seem like MSU has more than it's fair share of players that "just get tired of playing" or "are just burned out" or "just want to move on" in whatever sport. I know that happens but most people that are able to play sports competitively usually tend to play as long as they possibly can.

There aren't very many people that can go far in baseball without having some degree of passion for it.

BuckyIsAB****
07-22-2022, 09:39 PM
Out of the 4 I would like to have Hunt back the most. The others clearly did not put the work in after the natty to be what we needed them to be.

Todd4State
07-22-2022, 10:59 PM
Out of the 4 I would like to have Hunt back the most. The others clearly did not put the work in after the natty to be what we needed them to be.

I don't agree with that at all. If anything they were trying too hard at times. We had too many one run losses to be a team that was complacent. More about injuries and our coaches keeping promises to players who committed to other coaches. We have to figure out why we had so many injuries and be a lot more ruthless with our recruiting. Which I know the recruiting part is happening.

BuckyIsAB****
07-23-2022, 09:15 AM
I don't agree with that at all. If anything they were trying too hard at times. We had too many one run losses to be a team that was complacent. More about injuries and our coaches keeping promises to players who committed to other coaches. We have to figure out why we had so many injuries and be a lot more ruthless with our recruiting. Which I know the recruiting part is happening.

I was talking specifically about the position players. It was very obvious to me that we had a fat and happy offseason considering that we had maybe 1 or 2 every day players that improved. The rest got worse. Not a lot of leadership in that group of guys

confucius say
07-23-2022, 12:18 PM
I was talking specifically about the position players. It was very obvious to me that we had a fat and happy offseason considering that we had maybe 1 or 2 every day players that improved. The rest got worse. Not a lot of leadership in that group of guys

Kam raised his average 30 points and had the same number of HR this regular season as he did last regular season, and was much better defensively.

Lane improved by like 30 points.

Cumbest numbers were better with a much larger sample size.

Luke average was up but not power.

Really just LT that dropped off offensively.

Coach34
07-23-2022, 12:59 PM
2021 Team O Stats:

Avg .278
OBP .375
Runs/Game 7.0
XBH's- 210 (in 68 games)
K's/Game- 6.69
BB's/Game- 4.5

2022 Team O Stats:

Avg- .277
OBP- .374
Runs/Game- 6.94
XBH's- 196 (in 56 games)
K's/Game- 8.23
BB's/Game- 4.52

Literally no change in the offensive numbers except a few more K's at the plate offset by a higher rate of XBH's. Our problem was not offense

Homedawg
07-23-2022, 01:11 PM
Kam raised his average 30 points and had the same number of HR this regular season as he did last regular season, and was much better defensively.

I hate it when facts come into play......

Commercecomet24
07-23-2022, 01:45 PM

This all day. You can't lose the number of arms we lost during the season and expect to be contender, doesn't happen at any level. As C34 said offense wasn't our problem.

BuckyIsAB****
07-23-2022, 02:07 PM
Yeah they were all great who am I kidding its not like we lost multiple games bc we couldnt score with a runner on 3rd and 1 out. If yall think those players were as good as they were a year ago then I cant help you. I havent blamed the pitching never have. But none of those guys were ready to be the guy. Thus you get what we got a year ago. Stats or no stats

confucius say
07-23-2022, 02:49 PM
Those players were better. Minus LT.

The problem was we didn't have a TA who was won player of the year in the sec and was the most clutch player in the league (probably America). Or even a Rowdey. Give me those two and a healthy sims, augur, and Simmons and we're back in Omaha.

viverlibre
07-23-2022, 02:54 PM
Those players were better. Minus LT.

The problem was we didn't have a TA who was won player of the year in the sec and was the most clutch player in the league (probably America). Or even a Rowdey. Give me those two and a healthy sims, augur, and Simmons and we're back in Omaha.

I can't remember our player last year that Tim Corbin raved about, saying something like, "you can't get him out."

Goldendawg
07-23-2022, 03:17 PM
Anyone got a 21 to 22 stat comparison of hitting with runners in scoring position. Interested, thanks.

Commercecomet24
07-23-2022, 03:22 PM
Yeah they were all great who am I kidding its not like we lost multiple games bc we couldnt score with a runner on 3rd and 1 out. If yall think those players were as good as they were a year ago then I cant help you. I havent blamed the pitching never have. But none of those guys were ready to be the guy. Thus you get what we got a year ago. Stats or no stats

We blew 12 games when we had the lead in the 7th inning or later. That's pitching. When you have the lead you have to close that's the way baseball works and our average with risp was almost identical to year before.

Goldendawg
07-23-2022, 03:30 PM
We blew 12 games when we had the lead in the 7th inning or later. That's pitching. When you have the lead you have to close that's the way baseball works and our average with risp was almost identical to year before.

I guess our risp stuck out like a sore thumb because with our bullpen, we knew no late inning lead was safe. I went to a lot of games and from the 7th on felt like the movie, "Groundhog Day".

KOdawg1
07-23-2022, 03:41 PM
Obviously adding Skenes bumps us up another tier, but even if we don't add him, we should be better on the mound next year based solely on having more options.

RHP: Cade Smith, Landon Gartman, Nate Dohm, Aaron Nixon, Colby Holcombe, Loo Cijinte (BHP), Logan Forsythe, Will Gibbs, possibly KC Hunt, possibly Brandon Smith, possibly Parker Stinnett

LHP: Pico Kohn, Cole Cheatham, Bradley Loftin, Loo Cijinte (BHP), Brock Tapper, Tyler Davis (VCU transfer on campus right now), Max Miller, Graham Yntema

There's not a lot of experience in that group, but it beats having about 6 arms to depend on like we had this past year.

Need all the "possibly's" to come back, add Skenes, the VCU transfer, and another lefty for me to feel confident though.

confucius say
07-23-2022, 04:01 PM
I can't remember our player last year that Tim Corbin raved about, saying something like, "you can't get him out."

Hancock.

"The at bat doesn't even start against that guy until he has two strikes"

viverlibre
07-23-2022, 04:11 PM
Hancock.

"The at bat doesn't even start against that guy until he has two strikes"

Although I watch all the games, attend several and even the CWS, I'm not knowledgeable about baseball, was he not as good this year?

confucius say
07-23-2022, 04:51 PM
Although I watch all the games, attend several and even the CWS, I'm not knowledgeable about baseball, was he not as good this year?

Yes. His average, on base percentage, and slugging he were all higher this year than 2021.

Commercecomet24
07-23-2022, 05:00 PM
I guess our risp stuck out like a sore thumb because with our bullpen, we knew no late inning lead was safe. I went to a lot of games and from the 7th on felt like the movie, "Groundhog Day".

Yep you nailed it. 2021 and 2022 our risp was almost identical we were slightly worse in 2022 with runners on third and less than 2 outs getting the run in. Just think even if we go 8-4 in those 12 games we blew the lead(67% close), we wind up 34-22 and we're in the post season and 67% is reasonable. We had 1 whole save in sec play! The bullpen cost us and that's because of the injuries and the need to move PJ and Brandon out of the pen to the rotation. That's not even counting losing arguably the best pitcher in the country.

Homedawg
07-23-2022, 05:46 PM
Yep you nailed it. 2021 and 2022 our risp was almost identical we were slightly worse in 2022 with runners on third and less than 2 outs getting the run in. Just think even if we go 8-4 in those 12 games we blew the lead(75% close), we wind up 34-22 and we're in the post season and 75% is reasonable. We had 1 whole save in sec play! The bullpen cost us and that's because of the injuries and the need to move PJ and Brandon out of the pen to the rotation. That's not even counting losing arguably the best pitcher in the country.

Yep. Yep. Yep.

StarkVegasSteve
07-24-2022, 09:44 AM
Right now we are in a tricky spot. Obviously I think we are happy with what we?ve brought in from the portal, but there are still a couple of BIG holes. We need another front line starter, hope with Skenes seems to be fading a bit and Watts-Brown did not really reciprocate any return interest. The other is another corner outfielder. Losing Knight hurt, and I do not really know what happened with Groff but it seems that either he has moved off us or we moved off him. If we continue to strike out at that position we may have to roll with Bryce Chance. And while he is a great bat, he does not have the best arm to be playing in the outfield.

The staff has worked their ass off this summer, but we need to close this last month and go from a team who should be in a regional to a team that is hosting a regional. We built that stadium for June, not April.

Tripp McNeely
07-24-2022, 09:59 AM
Right now we are in a tricky spot. Obviously I think we are happy with what we?ve brought in from the portal, but there are still a couple of BIG holes. We need another front line starter, hope with Skenes seems to be fading a bit and Watts-Brown did not really reciprocate any return interest. The other is another corner outfielder. Losing Knight hurt, and I do not really know what happened with Groff but it seems that either he has moved off us or we moved off him. If we continue to strike out at that position we may have to roll with Bryce Chance. And while he is a great bat, he does not have the best arm to be playing in the outfield.

The staff has worked their ass off this summer, but we need to close this last month and go from a team who should be in a regional to a team that is hosting a regional. We built that stadium for June, not April.

Is the deal with Groff that we can't really guarantee a starting spot anymore with what we've already brought in?

WSOPdawg
07-24-2022, 10:10 AM

One of the best statements ever made about DNF... EVER!!! Rep given.

StarkVegasSteve
07-24-2022, 10:26 AM
Is the deal with Groff that we can't really guarantee a starting spot anymore with what we've already brought in?

I wish I could tell you. I was told before the season ended he was entering the portal and we were getting him. It was not going to be a long process and he would play either CF or LF for us. Then it was he wanted to see what his draft options were but that if he was not taken high enough we still had him. I think the Knight stuff kind of pissed him off. No knowledge of that, but reading between the lines it seems like he was under the impression that we were holding him a spot and then went out and got Knight and Ledbetter. Which, I get where he is coming from but we have to build a team. We cannot be held hostage until school starts waiting for the draft process to play out. We had to fill those positions with what was available at the time.

I still think there is a chance we get him, but way less confidence than I have been in a long time.

PMDawg
07-24-2022, 10:52 AM
2021 Team O Stats:

Avg .278
OBP .375
Runs/Game 7.0
XBH's- 210 (in 68 games)
K's/Game- 6.69
BB's/Game- 4.5

2022 Team O Stats:

Avg- .277
OBP- .374
Runs/Game- 6.94
XBH's- 196 (in 56 games)
K's/Game- 8.23
BB's/Game- 4.52

Literally no change in the offensive numbers except a few more K's at the plate offset by a higher rate of XBH's. Our problem was not offense

Pitching, and clutch hitting. Those were the differences. Rowdy and TA were clutch, and it was infectious. It appeared no one on this year's team wanted to take the leadership mantle (on offense).

WSOPdawg
07-24-2022, 12:12 PM

I wish I could tell you. I was told before the season ended he was entering the portal and we were getting him. It was not going to be a long process and he would play either CF or LF for us. Then it was he wanted to see what his draft options were but that if he was not taken high enough we still had him. I think the Knight stuff kind of pissed him off. No knowledge of that, but reading between the lines it seems like he was under the impression that we were holding him a spot and then went out and got Knight and Ledbetter...

The M over S requires a "team-first" mentality, and if Grof wanted to be part of MS, he needed to make his decision faster than he did.

Love the Ledbetter and Knight transfers (even with Knight drafted by MLB). But now, I'm ready to roll with Dakota Jordan and see if he can become the Alpha dog we missed in 2022 (ie, no Mangum, no TA, no Rooker on this past year's team). A single year from Grof will arguably only delay (and cost us to lose a year) from Dakota at the expense of prolonging a 5th-year, non-drafted player's career.

Patrick Tibbons
07-24-2022, 05:31 PM
Well? we aren?t getting either.

Knight signed with the Mariners today for $50k ($100k below slot value)and Groff committed to Ole Miss.

Hopefully Ledbetter works out and some of these freshman step up.

Coach34
07-24-2022, 06:31 PM

Knight signed with the Mariners today for $50k ($100k below slot value)and Groff committed to Ole Miss.

https://twitter.com/aaronfitt/status/1551330476178169862?s=21

Ledbetter is having a helluva summer

Commercecomet24
07-24-2022, 06:34 PM
https://twitter.com/aaronfitt/status/1551330476178169862?s=21

Ledbetter is having a helluva summer

Ledbetter is really good. I expect him to have a big year for us.

BrunswickDawg
07-24-2022, 06:53 PM
Just landed a LHP - Tyler Davis, VCU

Bothrops
07-24-2022, 09:08 PM

The DNF effect.

Commercecomet24
07-24-2022, 09:08 PM
Just landed a LHP - Tyler Davis, VCU

Underrated pitcher. This guy knows how to pitch. Comes right at hitters, doesn't nibble and doesn't walk people. Great command and gets outs.

Homedawg
07-24-2022, 09:14 PM
The M over S requires a "team-first" mentality, and if Grof wanted to be part of MS, he needed to make his decision faster than he did.

Love the Ledbetter and Knight transfers (even with Knight drafted by MLB). But now, I'm ready to roll with Dakota Jordan and see if he can become the Alpha dog we missed in 2022 (ie, no Mangum, no TA, no Rooker on this past year's team). A single year from Grof will arguably only delay (and cost us to lose a year) from Dakota at the expense of prolonging a 5th-year, non-drafted player's career.

Ready to roll w Dakota has consequences. It might work, and it might not. You have to have other options. He might struggle his fr year. This league is unforgiving on freshmen. If he's ready, he'll win the job. But you can't have him as your only option. He nor highfill, not matter the talent level. And if our staff does that, and they won't, they would be stupid.

Commercecomet24
07-24-2022, 09:23 PM
Ready to roll w Dakota has consequences. It might work, and it might not. You have to have other options. He might struggle his fr year. This league is unforgiving on freshmen. If he's ready, he'll win the job. But you can't have him as your only option. He nor highfill, not matter the talent level. And if our staff does that, and they won't, they would be stupid.

Yes sir!

maroonmania
07-24-2022, 10:16 PM

Willing to sign for 50 stinking K rather than play a year for us? Seems like we could have gotten him an NIL deal to offset most of that amount.

Todd4State
07-25-2022, 12:23 AM

As others have said I don't think it's a given that he would beat our Aaron Downs for the LF spot as Ledbetter can play CF. Which is good because it gives some flexibility as far as who we can after.

I don't fault anyone here. Knight was a better prospect than Groff. He went pro. That's how the cookie crumbles. Groff may not have liked that but this is a business and we have to go after the best player even if it burns us in the short term.

But worst case scenario- an OF of Downs, Ledbetter, Kellum, and maybe Dakota Jordan is something I could roll with if it comes down to it.

Todd4State
07-25-2022, 12:24 AM
Willing to sign for 50 stinking K rather than play a year for us? Seems like we could have gotten him an NIL deal to offset most of that amount.

I think we're still learning the ropes somewhat here. Although in his case because of COVID age was a factor as well.

TNDawg35
07-25-2022, 12:55 AM
So we have landed several from the portal and not a hint from D1 baseball. Ole Miss lands 2 and they get a full page right up along with LSU seemingly having an article daily… I’m starting to hate that site…

Patrick Tibbons
07-25-2022, 06:51 AM

It sounds like our coaches didn?t get a good read on what Knight wanted to do. If he signed for $50k, then he was never coming to back to play college ball. Maybe he wasn?t honest with us.

Pancho
07-25-2022, 06:54 AM
It sounds like our coaches didn?t get a good read on what Knight wanted to do. If he signed for $50k, then he was never coming to back to play college ball. Maybe he wasn?t honest with us.

you have it figured out. It would have been different had he had 2 years to play.

Homedawg
07-25-2022, 11:27 AM

NIL money wouldn't have made one difference. At his age, and his opportunity, he was signing.

Commercecomet24
07-25-2022, 12:02 PM
NIL money wouldn't have made one difference. At his age, and his opportunity, he was signing.

Yeah more at play here than just the money.

The Federalist Engineer
07-25-2022, 12:33 PM
LSU message board on Skenes.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/lsu-recruiting/paul-skenes-commitment-date/103421871/

Skenes visited LSU this past weekend. Already visited Arkansas or is visiting Arkansas this weekend.

Someone should mention to him that LSU pitching coach once oversaw the TJ'ing of nearly an entire MSU pitching staff. A pitching staff with ridiculous talent to win a National Championship just evaporated - Parker Ford, Cale Breaux, Keegan James, Ethan Small, Jared Padgett, Noah Hughes. Only Ethan Small fully recovered and reached full potential.

Think about 2017 if MSU did not need emergency walk-ons, field-players, and Mangum pitching.

ScoobaDawg
07-25-2022, 01:05 PM

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/lsu-recruiting/paul-skenes-commitment-date/103421871/

Skenes visited LSU this past weekend. Already visited Arkansas or is visiting Arkansas this weekend.

Someone should mention to him that LSU pitching coach once oversaw the TJ'ing of nearly an entire MSU pitching staff. A pitching staff with ridiculous talent to win a National Championship just evaporated - Parker Ford, Cale Breaux, Keegan James, Ethan Small, Jared Padgett, Noah Hughes. Only Ethan Small fully recovered and reached full potential.

Think about 2017 if MSU did not need emergency walk-ons, field-players, and Mangum pitching.

Just trash...who cares. that coach who did all that is long gone and we have proven how to care for a pitcher and the results on the field and in the draft speak for itself. If it didn't he wouldn't have visited us.

The Federalist Engineer
07-25-2022, 02:11 PM
Just trash...who cares. that coach who did all that is long gone and we have proven how to care for a pitcher and the results on the field and in the draft speak for itself. If it didn't he wouldn't have visited us.

The coach is not long gone, Wes Johnson is the pitching coach at LSU now. Recently hired from the Twins.

WPS
07-25-2022, 02:43 PM

He visited Arkansas last Tuesday-Wednesday.

Hasn't been much reported on how it went though which leads most Hog fans to believe it's down to MSU or LSU.

Coach34
07-25-2022, 02:47 PM

Hasn't been much reported on how it went though which leads most Hog fans to believe it's down to MSU or LSU.

We’re both very much in it still because this guy is basing his decision on where he fits and what is the best school for him to be a 1st rounder BUTTTT- I just know LSU is gonna make him an offer that’s hard to refuse. And I’ll be surprised if he refuses. Program wise? Really no difference in the 3.

WSOPdawg
07-25-2022, 03:28 PM
We’re both very much in it still because this guy is basing his decision on where he fits and what is the best school for him to be a 1st rounder BUTTTT- I just know LSU is gonna make him an offer that’s hard to refuse. And I’ll be surprised if he refuses. Program wise? Really no difference in the 3.

What about Skenes? connection to the transfer pitcher from Texas that we signed last month? Hopefully this will work soon n our favor and come in to play.

AlSwearengen
07-25-2022, 04:17 PM
What about Skenes? connection to the transfer pitcher from Texas that we signed last month? Hopefully this will work soon n our favor and come in to play.

I see Skenes re-tweet stuff from quite a few different players. Seems like all of these kids know and have played with each other somewhere along the way. I know nothing, but considering that he will only play one season, I doubt any friendships will sway a decision. Won’t hurt, but probably won’t move the needle much.

The Federalist Engineer
07-25-2022, 05:25 PM

WPS is a hell of a guy, trying to make us feel a tad better. Knows we are suffering a horror show of a season. A true friend.

Goldendawg
07-25-2022, 08:38 PM
"Built It and They Will Come" doesn't have the weight we thought now that this NIL and Transfer Portal stuff has hit the fan.

ScoobaDawg
07-25-2022, 10:52 PM
The coach is not long gone, Wes Johnson is the pitching coach at LSU now. Recently hired from the Twins.

Sorry read your message wrong. thought it was an lsu poster trashing us. forgot that little midget was there.

Saltydog
07-26-2022, 11:49 AM
I see Skenes re-tweet stuff from quite a few different players. Seems like all of these kids know and have played with each other somewhere along the way. I know nothing, but considering that he will only play one season, I doubt any friendships will sway a decision. Won?t hurt, but probably won?t move the needle much.

I've already come to the consensus that we aren't getting him. We've done decent in the portal but not getting Skenes will be a let down. If we don't get Hunt, James and Hancock back we aren't going to be appreciably better next year. Better, "yes" but I wouldn't bet on post season just yet.

Homedawg
07-26-2022, 12:15 PM
I've already come to the consensus that we aren't getting him. We've done decent in the portal but not getting Skenes will be a let down. If we don't get Hunt, James and Hancock back we aren't going to be appreciably better next year. Better, "yes" but I wouldn't bet on post season just yet.

james is gone. Hancock looking better and Hunt as well at this point.

BeardoMSU
07-26-2022, 12:18 PM

Where is Kam "gone" to? Does Serbia have a baseball league?

Homedawg
07-26-2022, 12:26 PM
Where is Kam "gone" to? Does Serbia have a baseball league?

He signed. Drafted 16th round. signed, gone......

Randolph Dupree
07-26-2022, 12:47 PM

Really hope Luke comes back; I think it would be good for him and us. The guy could've transferred last year and caught somewhere else and probably could've been drafted. Kudos to him staying and playing out of position another year.

basedog
07-26-2022, 01:48 PM
Can't blame James for signing, not sure if his ceiling can get any higher staying at Msu another year. I saw him play a few times in High School, it seems to me he hasn't improved all that much over time, but I'm hoping he makes tons of money in his future.

maroonmania
07-26-2022, 07:36 PM

If we strikeout on Skenes then getting KC back becomes even more important. We really need another weekend rotation guy and there is a good chance Hunt could do that. I mean he began this past season as a weekend starter before the injury.

BeardoMSU
07-27-2022, 12:35 PM
Luke is back!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1552342124108152832

pilldawg
07-27-2022, 12:48 PM
You don?t announce KC Hunt back until after Skenes decision though.

ScoobaDawg
07-27-2022, 12:58 PM

Not really.. you can play that card until Tuesday. Monday is the signing deadline.

Homedawg
07-27-2022, 01:33 PM

Kc has to sign by the first. At this point, he's coming back. I doubt KC hunt is going to scare off a first team all American. And I'm not knocking Hunt, I want him back.

Hot Rock
07-27-2022, 01:41 PM
keeping Luke, Hunt and getting Skenes seemed like pie in the sky hopes a week ago. It may happen!

Commercecomet24
07-27-2022, 01:56 PM

Great info, lol!

FISHDAWG
07-27-2022, 02:26 PM
Great info, lol!

Bert Stare's other account ???

Commercecomet24
07-27-2022, 02:37 PM
Bert Stare's other account ???

I was thinking the same thing! Has to be!!!

Homedawg
07-27-2022, 02:40 PM
Great info, lol!

hahahahaha.......

The Federalist Engineer
07-27-2022, 04:01 PM
I was thinking the same thing! Has to be!!!

At least Bert and his other account "msubaseball5976" never said anything about Skenes.

I want to cling to my hopes a bit longer before Skenes tweets about Fayetteville being "heaven" on Earth.

BeardoMSU
07-27-2022, 04:36 PM
Great info, lol!

Mike Tyson uppercut post

TNDawg35
07-27-2022, 05:19 PM
At least Bert and his other account "msubaseball5976" never said anything about Skenes.

I want to cling to my hopes a bit longer before Skenes tweets about Fayetteville being "heaven" on Earth.

Nah… It is down to LSU and us apparently… Lemonis is working his ass off on it tho.

confucius say
07-27-2022, 05:49 PM
"Built It and They Will Come" doesn't have the weight we thought now that this NIL and Transfer Portal stuff has hit the fan.
We just signed a top 6 class. Top 3 after the draft

Commercecomet24
07-27-2022, 06:50 PM
We just signed a top 6 class. Top 3 after the draft

This. People don't seem to realize how good this class is. Also we've done well in the portal.

AlSwearengen
07-27-2022, 07:34 PM
This. People don't seem to realize how good this class is. Also we've done well in the portal.

Someone correct if me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this class a little similar to the class with Fristoe and Tepper, in that some of the higher rated guys (Highfill and Cijntje), we flipped relatively late from other lower division schools, albeit pretty good baseball schools. Also, it seems like several guys with considerably high ceilings but the consensus is, as it stands now, none that will be ready to make an immediate impact like a Hunter Hines.

The reason I bring it up, is that I’ve been left a little scarred by Fristoe and Tepper, so I am tempering my expectations until i see consistent performance.

Also, do we consider this class truly Lemonis’ class or does that begin with the next class?

KOdawg1
07-27-2022, 08:18 PM
C - Hancock
1B - Hines
2B - Larry
SS - Forsythe
3B - Alford
LF/CF - Ledbetter
LF/CF - ???
RF - Clark
DH - Downs

Need to get another OF from the portal unless we want to roll with Dakota Jordan or Bryce Chance

WSOPdawg
07-27-2022, 08:31 PM
C - Hancock
1B - Hines
2B - Larry
SS - Forsythe
3B - Alford
LF/CF - Ledbetter
LF/CF - ???
RF - Clark
DH - Downs

Need to get another OF from the portal unless we want to roll with Dakota Jordan or Bryce Chance

Should we get lucky and have Skenes choose us, he could be your DH with Downs in the OF. Didn't someone say Ledbetter can play all OF positions?

KOdawg1
07-27-2022, 08:37 PM
Didn't someone say Ledbetter can play all OF positions?

He can

BrunswickDawg
07-28-2022, 12:01 PM
Someone correct if me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this class a little similar to the class with Fristoe and Tepper, in that some of the higher rated guys (Highfill and Cijntje), we flipped relatively late from other lower division schools, albeit pretty good baseball schools. Also, it seems like several guys with considerably high ceilings but the consensus is, as it stands now, none that will be ready to make an immediate impact like a Hunter Hines.

The reason I bring it up, is that I’ve been left a little scarred by Fristoe and Tepper, so I am tempering my expectations until i see consistent performance.

Also, do we consider this class truly Lemonis’ class or does that begin with the next class?

I don't think there is a coach in the country that WANTS to rely on freshmen being impact players. If they come in, perform, and win a spot - its great. That's a gravy year of production.

Interesting side note - reading thru the list of SEC FOY since 2000 - only 3 went on to win SEC POY (Stephen Head, Hunter Morris, & Tony Kemp) and only 1 became an impact MLB player - Alex Bregman.

BuckyIsAB****
07-28-2022, 09:39 PM
Who is the next target now that Skenes is gone

Saltydog
07-29-2022, 12:38 PM

Can't be much left out there at this point Bucky. We damn sure could've used Skenes and Groff.

Goldendawg
07-29-2022, 07:31 PM

"We didn't want him anyway," (MSU battle cry after recruiting failures.)******

MetEdDawg
07-30-2022, 05:59 AM
Interview with Pirates GM had him saying he feels like they are likely done signing draft picks.

Unless something unforeseen happens, means we can expect Hunt to be back with us next year.

Tripp McNeely
07-30-2022, 07:27 AM
Interview with Pirates GM had him saying he feels like they are likely done signing draft picks.

Unless something unforeseen happens, means we can expect Hunt to be back with us next year.

Well, that will help ease the pain of losing Skenes!

Coach34
07-30-2022, 09:09 AM
Good to get Hunt back. He has a chance to make some money this Spring

confucius say
07-30-2022, 04:50 PM

Should be noted that almost nobody thought Hines was going to be an immediate stud before he stepped on campus this time last year. I fully expect at least one freshman to be in the lineup by April.

Todd4State
07-30-2022, 09:31 PM
Should be noted that almost nobody thought Hines was going to be an immediate stud before he stepped on campus this time last year. I fully expect at least one freshman to be in the lineup by April.

Right. The thing there is there is no telling who that will be. My guess would be Dakota Jordan. He has a legit opportunity to win a job in the lineup. And really, I thought Pico did a good job too. I think we could see the same potentially from Clijente, Loftin, Gibbs, Holcombe, Dohm, Max Miller, Logan Forsythe, and Evan Siary. Hopefully 2-3 of those guys anyway.

Homedawg
07-30-2022, 09:38 PM
Right. The thing there is there is no telling who that will be. My guess would be Dakota Jordan. He has a legit opportunity to win a job in the lineup. And really, I thought Pico did a good job too. I think we could see the same potentially from Clijente, Loftin, Gibbs, Holcombe, Dohm, Max Miller, Logan Forsythe, and Evan Siary. Hopefully 2-3 of those guys anyway.

Siary better get healthy or whatever. Bc he wasn't a g5 pitcher this year much less sec.

Todd4State
07-30-2022, 09:41 PM
Siary better get healthy or whatever. Bc he wasn't a g5 pitcher this year much less sec.

Agree 100%. If he does get healthy he could be legit though. No way to know at this point but the odds are definitely against it. I'm only expecting 2-3 pitchers out of that group I mentioned to really step up. And two of those are Holcombe and of course Dohm.

Homedawg
07-30-2022, 10:06 PM
As for siary, they said he had shoulder issues, which might be true, but he never went on the shelf for longer than a week or so once the season started, which's is odd if he was hurt. Hes a good kid and maybe he just wanted to compete. But doesn't make much sense to send him back out there hurt and his dad was on the staff.... But clearly this year he was a shell of what he showed our staff before. .....Obviously loftin has a big upside. I like Gibbs. Tapper can pitch. Crafty lefty type. Forsythe, has had command issues, we shall see if he can harness them. McClain Ray is going to have to getter better quick. Tommasini, has to be a non scholly guy. Hope he works out but not elite stuff and spotty command the night I saw him. Obviously, our pitching has to be better, but anxious to see the jump that our soph hitters make. Downs, Alford, and Hines all can be big time. And CHance can be a solid guy as well.

confucius say
07-31-2022, 10:39 PM
I think Gartman will be a really nice add on the bump.

Goldendawg
08-02-2022, 01:01 PM
K C Hunt coming back. Free article on Genes Page. Hail State!

FISHDAWG
08-02-2022, 02:16 PM
K C Hunt coming back. Free article on Genes Page. Hail State!

maybe that will take some of the stress out of football season for me ... great news