PDA

View Full Version : NIL - how many fans could / would pay $25 per month?

cheewgumm
07-17-2022, 11:24 AM
15,000 X 25 X 12 = $4.5 M

Patrick Tibbons
07-17-2022, 11:47 AM
Could and would are two totally different asks.

Unless you are just totally down on your luck, you can afford $25 a month.

Could ? I would say about 95%+ of people who consider themselves fans of State athletics.

Would? Maybe 2%.

Maroonthirteen
07-17-2022, 12:52 PM
https://c.tenor.com/5MqFlIXsH2UAAAAC/its-da-principalities-big-worm.gif

confucius say
07-17-2022, 01:19 PM
Anybody who refuses to give $25 a month should never come on here and complain about our teams.

Percho
07-17-2022, 01:20 PM
I thought the NCAA was making billions off the players and many of you thought the players should be getting that money instead of the NCAA.

Well, what happened to that money? Why are we needing to raise more billions?

Just asking.

Maroonthirteen
07-17-2022, 04:28 PM
Funny how this has all worked out, huh?

TV contracts grow by millions each year. MSU (and every other school) raise ticket prices, ask for seat donations, tuition increases, housing increases...

Apoplectic
07-18-2022, 08:43 AM
I thought the NCAA was making billions off the players and many of you thought the players should be getting that money instead of the NCAA.

Just asking.

Yea I?m not giving a penny. There should be a salary cap per school paid from sec distribution.

msstate7
07-18-2022, 09:01 AM
Could this even be done? Would you have to create a business to actually do this? Curious how this would be different that just paying recruits in the past

Johnson85
07-18-2022, 09:46 AM

Just asking.

That money is largely committed to debt service for insane facilities and expenses for the program. Going to take a while for schools to scale back spending so they can adjust to money going to NIL deals rather than to athletic foundations more or less controlled by the school.

TrapGame
07-18-2022, 09:48 AM
Could this even be done? Would you have to create a business to actually do this? Curious how this would be different that just paying recruits in the past

So basically the NCAA is creating the equivalent of mob bosses saying "I'm a legitimate businessman."

Maroonthirteen
07-18-2022, 10:59 AM
The NCAA didn't create this mess. The Supreme Court did.

Maroonthirteen
07-18-2022, 11:18 AM
Mississippi States athletic revenue for 20-21 was $112million

$42.5 media rights.
$35m of conference distributions.
$12m of donations
$5m of ticket sales.

State could stop requiring seat license fees in hopes of giving to NIL. States revenues would still be almost double than in 2014.

parabrave
07-18-2022, 11:19 AM

Just asking.

Isn't the Bulldog club for this? The NIL is supposed to be where the athlete can garner monies for use of his/her likeness.

DEDawg
07-18-2022, 11:55 AM
Yea I?m not giving a penny. There should be a salary cap per school paid from sec distribution.

Okay but there is not, so help your school out

Apoplectic
07-18-2022, 11:55 AM
Isn't the Bulldog club for this? The NIL is supposed to be where the athlete can garner monies for use of his/her likeness.

And this money was supposed to come from businesses. Evidently businesses are smarter than the common fan and see that significant money for all players is a loser for the business. So now the plan is to siphon more Money from loyal families of the universities?

ScoobaDawg
07-18-2022, 12:04 PM

Negative... I'm not sure what you mean by how could this be done? Charlie IS doing IT.

Your right. part of it is paying signees... it's just legal now.

ScoobaDawg
07-18-2022, 12:06 PM

Bulldog club is for scholarship's. coaching salaries and other things. NOT NIL.. that's completely separate and NOT run by the school.

https://msubulldogclub.com/sports/2017/9/7/mission.aspx

ScoobaDawg
07-18-2022, 12:08 PM
And this money was supposed to come from businesses. Evidently businesses are smarter than the common fan and see that significant money for all players is a loser for the business. So now the plan is to siphon more Money from loyal families of the universities?

We are entering year 2. I wouldn't be so quick to call businesses smarter... more creative ways just need to be found...

Goldendawg
07-18-2022, 12:44 PM
Who will be enforcing that the $ being given to the players is really for NIL? Some figures being thrown around to HS players are more than some professional players. At least the NFL has a salary cap. Are most of these NIL deal$ for one year only? What if they don't play a down their freshman year or are a total bust, they transfer out and cut a new deal with another team that hopes year one was a fluke. How can a HS player most of the country has never heard of be worth millions? How is he or she going to have time to be a "student athlete" and earn his NIL obligations. Pandora's Box of college sports is open to not be closed.

Catfish
07-18-2022, 12:51 PM
Who will be enforcing that the $ being given to the players is really for NIL? Some figures being thrown around to HS players are more than some professional players. At least the NFL has a salary cap. Are most of these NIL deal$ for one year only? What if they don't play a down their freshman year or are a total bust, they transfer out and cut a new deal with another team that hopes year one was a fluke. How can a HS player most of the country has never heard of be worth millions? How is he or she going to have time to be a "student athlete" and earn his NIL obligations. Pandora's Box of college sports is open to not be closed.

Good post, unfortunately I think we can take the 'student' out of student athlete. NCAA has created total chaos. Clueless in my opinion.

Goldendawg
07-18-2022, 01:02 PM
Good post, unfortunately I think we can take the 'student' out of student athlete. NCAA has created total chaos. Clueless in my opinion.

NCAA greed for $ and unlimited power led to this. Didn't have to be on The Supreme Court to see this coming. Looking back on the petty things the NCAA punished us for in years past was a joke then and especially now. Over the year$, I lost interest in MLB, the NBA, and only watch NFL games which have MSU players participating. After 59 years of attending State games, very concerned about this future product.

Maroonthirteen
07-18-2022, 01:41 PM
I will just have to agree to disagree regarding this being the ncaas fault.

Yes. I get Ed Obannon doesn't like a corporation using his likeness in a video game and he gets $0 in return for it. That isn't right. However the ncaa was right for the most part with their rules and regulations. This one little simple adjustment of allowing players to earn off their likeness, is being taken advantage by unscrupulous people for the purpose of buying athletes. That was not the intention of NIL per what was passed. As the ncaa feared... give people an inch.... a mile is taken.

Maroonthirteen
07-18-2022, 01:46 PM
By the way too.... it seems this thread has splintered a few directions.

I'm certain I heard Charlie say in his interview on T&L that the focus of the Bulldog Initiative is on players that are already at MSU. Also that he was steering clear of high school kids because of ncaa rules and such. Just wanted to clear that up.