PDA

View Full Version : Worse MSU FB game(s) you ever saw?

Goldendawg
07-11-2022, 12:40 PM
Stole this thread for Six Pack but some of my all time lows:

Auburn - 3 to 2. Most inept display of two teams that couldn't play the game.

Croom's 48 to 0, "I didn't see that coming", loss to OM.

Every game of the "Tech and Ten" season.

"Remember the Maine".

Game delayed by the tornado watch.

msugolf
07-11-2022, 12:48 PM
Either the Maine game or 2008 egg bowl.

3-2 game doesn?t even make top 5 for me. At least we played good defense against a somewhat competent team

deltadawg63
07-11-2022, 12:51 PM
Tie between 2004 Maine and 1986 Auburn, Alabama and LSU. Those 3 could have named score it felt like!

Coach34
07-11-2022, 12:52 PM
State-Tulane game played in Shreveport after Katrina. It's the worst college football game I've ever seen in person. Maybe the worst ever played.

StarkVegasSteve
07-11-2022, 12:59 PM
Too many to count. A few that come to mind:

3-2
Maine
Troy State-The Tornado Game
2019 @Auburn
2013 Gator Bowl
2018 @LSU
Basically the entire 2008 season
2016 @Bama
2006 West Virginia

R2Dawg
07-11-2022, 12:59 PM
The Croom spring game that ended 0-0. I think that was year before the 3-2 Aub game. WCO was agony to watch.

FISHDAWG
07-11-2022, 01:22 PM
2002 - Gainesville, Fl ...... we kicked Spurrier's butt in Starkville the year before ..... Spurrier was pissed and beat us 52-0 (threw a long bomb for another TD with less than two minutes in the game) .... I left before halftime only to find out I was blocked in by a gator fan and had to wait over an hour after the game was over for the bastard to return and get out of the way

BrunswickDawg
07-11-2022, 01:27 PM
'93 Arkansas State 15-15 TIE
'95 ULM 32-34 loss
'96 La Tech 23-38 loss
'97 @UGA 0-47 loss
'13 Northwestern 20-34 loss
'16 USA 20-21 loss - ***King Mullen and his shorts!

Rawdawg
07-11-2022, 04:11 PM
@ Georgia tech in 08. Noon kickoff and we went to bed around 4:00 and we got absolutely destroyed. We had a complete game of ineptitude from all 3 phases.

R2Dawg
07-11-2022, 06:27 PM
2002 - Gainesville, Fl ...... we kicked Spurrier's butt in Starkville the year before ..... Spurrier was pissed and beat us 52-0 (threw a long bomb for another TD with less than two minutes in the game) .... I left before halftime only to find out I was blocked in by a gator fan and had to wait over an hour after the game was over for the bastard to return and get out of the way

Fish have to agree that was bad.

That was 2001, year after we beat them bad in Starkville in 2000.

We were picked to win SECW that year and that loss pretty much finished our season off and it was early in year.
On O we returned all starters but the C Michael Fair. Who thought the C was so important. Masking was bad all year too a senior.

Typical MSU. We made the media look bad picking us last every year prior only to compete for title every year till media said pick MSU they got everyone back and we tanked.

Todd4State
07-11-2022, 07:18 PM
Well there have been two games in my life where I seriously considered going on the field and kicking the SEC officials ass and that was the 2017 Egg Bowl because they let Ole Miss do waaaaaayyy too much dirty stuff and the Memphis game this year. Nothing like getting screwed by your own conference officials at G5 road game.

So I guess those were the two worst for me.

R2Dawg
07-11-2022, 08:39 PM
Well there have been two games in my life where I seriously considered going on the field and kicking the SEC officials ass and that was the 2017 Egg Bowl because they let Ole Miss do waaaaaayyy too much dirty stuff and the Memphis game this year. Nothing like getting screwed by your own conference officials at G5 road game.

So I guess those were the two worst for me.

As far as being mad about the game I totally agree. I was also at the 2017 game and the OM girl yelling off the ramp near end of game about made me want to tape her mouth shut. OM stole that game by putting Fitz out; that was there only chance that night.

Memphis yeah. What pisses me off is the SEC would never let that happen to Bama or LSU or UGA or UF or any blue bloods. But they will sacrifice MSU every chance they get.

Maroonthirteen
07-11-2022, 08:40 PM
Probably 1997 v UGA. UGA did whatever they wanted. We played dead. 0-47

2021 Liberty Bowl. What a no show.

Todd4State
07-12-2022, 01:52 AM
As far as being mad about the game I totally agree. I was also at the 2017 game and the OM girl yelling off the ramp near end of game about made me want to tape her mouth shut. OM stole that game by putting Fitz out; that was there only chance that night.

Memphis yeah. What pisses me off is the SEC would never let that happen to Bama or LSU or UGA or UF or any blue bloods. But they will sacrifice MSU every chance they get.

Yeah. My criteria was sheer rage, and how much I questioned what I was doing with my life. LOL.

I wasn't really rage mad about Maine. I guess I get a lot less angry when we do it to ourselves though. Ole Miss 1997 was pretty bad too. The 3-2 Auburn game was just boring. I don't hate that game as some fans apparently do. My fifth one would be when we lost to Dan with Moorhead. That bastard finally called a trick play that worked- and of course it was in a game against us. It also hurt because his recruiting deficiencies kind of killed us to a degree as well- WR dropping a wide open TD pass and the OL wasn't great, and then Joe just made it worse.

The thing about Memphis is that SEC crew was just soooo incompetent. I don't think they had it out for us. They just sucked. The SEC did suspend them after the game so it's not like the SEC just let them off the hook completely. But then the issue there is why does the SEC have officiating crews like that?

Todd4State
07-12-2022, 01:53 AM
Probably 1997 v UGA. UGA did whatever they wanted. We played dead. 0-47

2021 Liberty Bowl. What a no show.

Ah...the annual Jackie "Hey I can only get the team up for three games a year game and guess what it's not LSU" game.

We should have seen the Liberty Bowl coming when the team showed up like two days before the game. No one wanted to be there.

Todd4State
07-12-2022, 01:57 AM
Too many to count. A few that come to mind:

3-2
Maine
Troy State-The Tornado Game
2019 @Auburn
2013 Gator Bowl
2018 @LSU
Basically the entire 2008 season
2016 @Bama
2006 West Virginia

I really thought that Auburn might score 100 on us in 2019. Didn't we call a timeout on the first play and then promptly allowed like 21 points?

Georgia 2017 was bad too. We were pretty good. Dan freaked out. We scored 7. We allowed like 38 including a flea flicker. That was their revenge on Todd Grantham game. We have we ever gotten revenge on anyone?

DownwardDawg
07-12-2022, 08:53 AM
Croom games.
3-2 auburn loss
Liberty Bowl win where Wes Carrol called his own offense at the end to win. Freezing

TrapGame
07-12-2022, 09:08 AM
Croom games.
3-2 auburn loss
Liberty Bowl win where Wes Carrol called his own offense at the end to win. Freezing

Wes Carrol knew more about running an offense than Woody and Croom put together. Croom still chewed his ass out for checking out of a run play to a play action pass for a touchdown. I wish Wes had stayed b/c we would have gone to a bowl game Dan's first year if he did.

DownwardDawg
07-12-2022, 09:22 AM
Wes Carrol knew more about running an offense than Woody and Croom put together. Croom still chewed his ass out for checking out of a run play to a play action pass for a touchdown. I wish Wes had stayed b/c we would have gone to a bowl game Dan's first year if he did.

Yep!

memsu06
07-12-2022, 09:23 AM
Maine

One thing I'll never forget is looking at the opponent's side and seeing all the open space on the tarp to protect the grass. Usually you don't see that much open space because of all the equipment or players covering it up.

They brought a skeleton crew and beat us.

Wes Carrol would have been awesome in the Mike Leach offense. He nearly set the pass completions without an interception record, then as ESPN announced it he threw a pick.

I was a student at MSU during the dark days. I'm just glad we're playing competitive football right now.

Activated Alpha
07-12-2022, 09:28 AM
For me it was the home LSU game post Katrina during the Croom failure. We were getting rompstomped during an 1100 game and a fraternity brother yelled out to the players, "yall might be kicking our ass, but at least we have our homes to go back too...." Everyone around him got silent. LSU proceeded to put up like 30 more points after that

parabrave
07-12-2022, 09:52 AM
Dam I can't believe no one picked the BYU game/ I wasn't there but watched the game and listened to Jackies postgame show. Dam he was pissed. We had the sunbelt refs that game and they never saw BYU mugging our players. Their fans were calling into the show telling Jackie to stop whining. That's one school that I wouldn't mind seeing swallowed by the earth.

BuckyIsAB****
07-12-2022, 12:31 PM
2012 Texas A&M

2021 Egg Bowl bc we blew it and the worst weather I have ever seen in person. There was literal mini rain tornados at about upper deck level.

I was at the Maine and the 3-2 game. But I think the worst was 2006 Tulane at home and they forever more kicked the shit out of us for 3 quarters

lastmajordog
07-12-2022, 12:46 PM
1. Rocky Felkers first head coach year LSU and om both in Jackson. LSU just curb stomped the DOGS, The om game was Felker?s worst coaching job of his career IMO.
2. Sherrill?s loss to om in oxford in the snow flurries, His loss to om in Tommy pine box first year, and the last loss to Eli?s last egg bowl.
3. Every loss to Bama.
4. I will never get over Fourcade running in the end zone, and every loss to om by Bellard....he just blew too many games to them.
5. Croom had so many bad ones, and even though it was a win the Memphis bowl game was HORRIBLE.

basedog
07-12-2022, 12:59 PM
1. Rocky Felkers first head coach year LSU and om both in Jackson. LSU just curb stomped the DOGS, The om game was Felker?s worst coaching job of his career IMO.
2. Sherrill?s loss to om in oxford in the snow flurries, His loss to om in Tommy pine box first year, and the last loss to Eli?s last egg bowl.
3. Every loss to Bama.
4. I will never get over Fourcade running in the end zone, and every loss to om by Bellard....he just blew too many games to them.
5. Croom had so many bad ones, and even though it was a win the Memphis bowl game was HORRIBLE.

I think all 4 losses in Felker's first year to end the season was really disappointing after a great start of the year. Seeing Don Smith racing down the sideline against the Vols at Neyland was as good as it could get that year.

Losing to Maine and NLU is about as bad as it can get except maybe the 74-0 against Houston in the Astrodome back in the late 60's may have been the worse ever. Btw, Houston came to Starkville the next year loaded and we whipped their ass that after noon, talk about shocked!

AROB44
07-12-2022, 01:23 PM
I think all 4 losses in Felker's first year to end the season was really disappointing after a great start of the year. Seeing Don Smith racing down the sideline against the Vols at Neyland was as good as it could get that year.

Losing to Maine and NLU is about as bad as it can get except maybe the 74-0 against Houston in the Astrodome back in the late 60's may have been the worse ever. Btw, Houston came to Starkville the next year loaded and we whipped their ass that after noon, talk about shocked!

MSU's "introduction" to the veer (the same offense later run to perfection by our own Rocky Felker). That Houston game also had some great comments by Jack, who was getting out the record book in the first half. Later in life, that game caused much laughter among basedog, myself and my late brother.

Captain Falcon
07-12-2022, 01:56 PM
There about half a dozen from the Croom era that immediately come to mind.

The two games against Troy State in 2001 and 2002 were beyond brutal. Lost one of them in a tornado and won the other one 11-8.

I was not in person for either of these two games but both of our last two trips to Lexington were very painful to watch.

PGHBulldogBG
07-12-2022, 02:26 PM
Tulane 2006 or Auburn 3-2 game 2008. Both Croomtastic games. South Alabama was not an in person game I saw but that game set the tone for the rest of 2016 outside the aTm upset. JoMo losing at home to Florida in 2018 confirmed my initial confusion and extreme disappointment with Cohen on that hire

State82
07-12-2022, 03:11 PM

I can very vaguely remember listening to that debacle on the radio when I was about 8-9 years old.

TrapGame
07-12-2022, 03:24 PM
I remember listening to the Tulane '06 game on the radio. Sitting in my den listening to the after game comments and you could hear the Tulane players yelling "Thanks for the check!". That pissed the whole fan base off. It was so bad Gene's Page shut down until that Monday.

basedog
07-12-2022, 03:28 PM
MSU's "introduction" to the veer (the same offense later run to perfection by our own Rocky Felker). That Houston game also had some great comments by Jack, who was getting out the record book in the first half. Later in life, that game caused much laughter among basedog, myself and my late brother.

Have some rep my friend!

PGHBulldogBG
07-12-2022, 03:29 PM
As bad as Maine was that 2006 Tulane game in my opinion was worse. Croom should?ve never been allowed to hang around after losing to Maine, UAB and then Tulane. I tried to be optimistic about Croom because he inherited a giant mess, but the Tulane loss officially sealed it for me that it wasn?t going to work out

R2Dawg
07-12-2022, 06:06 PM
Dam I can't believe no one picked the BYU game/ I wasn't there but watched the game and listened to Jackies postgame show. Dam he was pissed. We had the sunbelt refs that game and they never saw BYU mugging our players. Their fans were calling into the show telling Jackie to stop whining. That's one school that I wouldn't mind seeing swallowed by the earth.

the 2001 BYU game was bad. Due to 911, it was the last game of year that year, after egg bowl. There have been some blown call games that cost us games (Memphis, Bama, etc) but from end to end that game is biggest screw job by refs in MSU history.

Coach34
07-12-2022, 06:14 PM
the 2001 BYU game was bad. Due to 911, it was the last game of year that year, after egg bowl. There have been some blown call games that cost us games (Memphis, Bama, etc) but from end to end that game is biggest screw job by refs in MSU history.

The refs were bad that night and made sure BYU won- but they could at least keep some semblance of professionalism after the game. Dick Pace however- cannot. The 1981 Egg Bowl was completely stolen and flat out cheating.

basedog
07-12-2022, 06:43 PM
The refs were bad that night and made sure BYU won- but they could at least keep some semblance of professionalism after the game. Dick Pace however- cannot. The 1981 Egg Bowl was completely stolen and flat out cheating.

Two of the all time worse officiating games ever!

phatdog
07-12-2022, 08:18 PM
42-14 loss to Reggie Collier and USM

DownwardDawg
07-12-2022, 08:32 PM
42-14 loss to Reggie Collier and USM

Many good teams lost to Reggie Collier. FSU and everyone in Tallahassee will never forget Reggie and Sammie Winder. I was at that game. 30-0 USM at halftime against a top ranked FSU team.

Coach34
07-12-2022, 08:39 PM
Many good teams lost to Reggie Collier. FSU and everyone in Tallahassee will never forget Reggie and Sammie Winder. I was at that game. 30-0 USM at halftime against a top ranked FSU team.

1981 USM was impressive

Went 9-1-1 and ended up in the Tangerine Bowl
Beat us 7-6 in a damn war I watched in Jackson
Tied Bammer 13-13 in T-Town
Beat ranked Fla State 58-14 in Tallahassee
How in the hell did they lose to Louisville?

parabrave
07-12-2022, 09:22 PM

Reggie was the 1st QB to Run for 1000 and Pass for 1000. Played against him in HS. He was not recruited for QB because he broke his collerbone when he was a JR and only played QB for one year. USM saw him when they were looking at Greg Kelly, another Bad Ass. Trust me when I say he was fast, shifty and had a great arm.

Todd4State
07-13-2022, 12:41 AM
1981 USM was impressive

Went 9-1-1 and ended up in the Tangerine Bowl
Beat us 7-6 in a damn war I watched in Jackson
Tied Bammer 13-13 in T-Town
Beat ranked Fla State 58-14 in Tallahassee
How in the hell did they lose to Louisville?

Bond didn't play in the 1981 USM game right?

Todd4State
07-13-2022, 12:46 AM
As bad as Maine was that 2006 Tulane game in my opinion was worse. Croom should?ve never been allowed to hang around after losing to Maine, UAB and then Tulane. I tried to be optimistic about Croom because he inherited a giant mess, but the Tulane loss officially sealed it for me that it wasn?t going to work out

A lot of the reason he wasn't fired was because:

1. Larry Templeton was our AD.

2. We were on probation.

Let's just be thankful 2007 happened. Not many years where we can say that we beat Alabama, Ole Miss, and won a bowl game. I don't care that we had to return a bunch of INT's and punts back for TD's and the Liberty Bowl wasn't Super Bowl 24 offensively- we still won the games. And we beat an Auburn team that I think ended up being ranked at the end of the year, and a pretty decent Kentucky team on the road and even managed to beat Tulane in the Superdome.

If you look at the bottom line that technically ranks as Dan Mullen's third best season had he been coaching the team.

Lord McBuckethead
07-13-2022, 01:05 AM
Stole this thread for Six Pack but some of my all time lows:

Auburn - 3 to 2. Most inept display of two teams that couldn't play the game.

Croom's 48 to 0, "I didn't see that coming", loss to OM.

Every game of the "Tech and Ten" season.

"Remember the Maine".

Game delayed by the tornado watch.

All of those games took place while I was in college. Except the 3-2 game. It was my bachelor party.

MafiaDawg
07-13-2022, 06:25 AM
2004 in Baton Rouge 51-0. Complete ineptness.

FISHDAWG
07-13-2022, 07:32 AM
@ Georgia tech in 08. Noon kickoff and we went to bed around 4:00 and we got absolutely destroyed. We had a complete game of ineptitude from all 3 phases.

yep ... I was there for that one. Me and a buddy left Bobby Dodd Stadium and watched the second half of that horror show from a Taco Mac

MaroonMike
07-13-2022, 10:20 AM
1992 at LSU. 24-3 loss. After a big win at Texas opening game, made the drive from Starkville to Baton Rouge with a buddy. Wore all maroon into Tiger Stadium and got completely bashed (and covered in all sorts of liquids) by the LSU crowd. Total beatdown and embarrassment!

But...we still make the trip to Memphis the next week to see an exhausted MSU team grind out a win.

Coach34
07-13-2022, 10:23 AM
1992 at LSU. 24-3 loss. After a big win at Texas opening game, made the drive from Starkville to Baton Rouge with a buddy. Wore all maroon into Tiger Stadium and got completely bashed (and covered in all sorts of liquids) by the LSU crowd. Total beatdown and embarrassment!

But...we still make the trip to Memphis the next week to see an exhausted MSU team grind out a win.

I was there too. And that's been my last trip to Tiger Stadium. Never going back

lastmajordog
07-13-2022, 12:27 PM

My memory fades but I believe John David Calhoun (R.I.P.) from Forest, got SEC def player of the week for linebackers play in that Houston game.

lastmajordog
07-13-2022, 12:33 PM

Oh man, there really are no words to describe that nightmare, especially those of us that experienced it.....

basedog
07-13-2022, 12:59 PM

Wasn't the 24-3 loss at Red Stick a wet slight drizzle rain? Also, I was sitting close to our bench, and I recall we punted and the Lsu guy either signaled for a fair catch or the whistle blew as the ball hit the ground only to have the guy pick the ball up and race like 89 yards for a score. Whatever it was a very questionable call.
We were flat as one could be that night.

Lord McBuckethead
07-14-2022, 06:49 PM

I still have no idea why he didn?t stay. Mullen being an entitled dick?

TrapGame
07-14-2022, 07:17 PM
I still have no idea why he didn?t stay. Mullen being an entitled dick?

He was loyal to Croom. For some ungodly reason Wes thought Croom should have gotten another season. Him leaving was a protest.

Bothrops
07-14-2022, 11:25 PM
45-0 eggbowl and Brandon McRae breaking his leg off was pure misery.

Todd4State
07-15-2022, 12:38 AM
I was there too. And that's been my last trip to Tiger Stadium. Never going back

It's a lot better now that they have security. I went in 1998 when we got beat down and it was as miserable as advertised. And the whole time I was like "Where is the security?" Now that they have more security and ticket prices have gone up you have a lot less riff raff and people aren't quite as brave with a security officer there.

45-0 eggbowl and Brandon McRae breaking his leg off was pure misery.

I remember some of our fans saying that was the reason we got blown out because our team was so shaken up. LOL. The real reason was being completely unprepared.

Todd4State
07-15-2022, 12:39 AM
He was loyal to Croom. For some ungodly reason Wes thought Croom should have gotten another season. Him leaving was a protest.

I'm sure it's different as a player when you're actually recruited by someone. Just a completely different realtionship.

FISHDAWG
07-15-2022, 07:27 AM

yeah ... he traded us in for someone like UCF (before UCF had it's good years) ... Leaving the SEC because of pouting for Croom ? I just can't wrap my head around that

Choctaw Dawg
07-17-2022, 07:32 PM
Wesley Carrol was the only freshman QB to beat Nick Saban at Alabama until Trevor Lawrence.

Wrap your head around that for a second.

Bothrops
07-17-2022, 09:32 PM
Wesley Carrol was the only freshman QB to beat Nick Saban at Alabama until Trevor Lawrence.

Wrap your head around that for a second.

Wow that's nuts. I must ask, how did you find that info because I know no sports announcer knows that one?

Bothrops
07-17-2022, 09:34 PM
It's a lot better now that they have security. I went in 1998 when we got beat down and it was as miserable as advertised. And the whole time I was like "Where is the security?" Now that they have more security and ticket prices have gone up you have a lot less riff raff and people aren't quite as brave with a security officer there.

I remember some of our fans saying that was the reason we got blown out because our team was so shaken up. LOL. The real reason was being completely unprepared.

That was an awful beat down. Ole Miss were feeling sorry for us. We made them look like Bama.

EdwardDrayton
07-17-2022, 11:27 PM
Maine.

2013 Gator Bowl. Tyler Russell four picks.

And I’ll throw in the 2014 Orange Bowl just because of how far I drove to watch us get schooled by Tech.

Todd4State
07-17-2022, 11:44 PM
That was an awful beat down. Ole Miss were feeling sorry for us. We made them look like Bama.

Jackie always had at least one game a year where it looked like we just didn't practice that week at all. And it was always LSU and Arkansas.

Maroonthirteen
07-18-2022, 06:43 AM
Carroll played HS football in Ft Lauderdale.
Carroll transferred to FIU, which is near the Ft Lauderdale area.
Carroll was losing PT to Tyson Lee in 2008.
Obviously the HC change.... can't blame the guy.

BrunswickDawg
07-18-2022, 08:02 AM
Wow that's nuts. I must ask, how did you find that info because I know no sports announcer knows that one?

It was actually shown on ESPN in some the recaps of that game (Bama/Clemson with Trevor Lawrence), and I believe was even shown a couple of times in-game.

Choctaw Dawg
07-18-2022, 03:34 PM

ESPN brought it up before the Clemson/Alabama title game saying it would be tough for a freshman QB in Trevor Lawrence beating the mighty Tide. There were also a few article written by SI and ESPN doing a feature as to what Wesley Carrol was doing now.

cujo
07-18-2022, 05:17 PM
1983 egg bowl

ImissCityBagel
07-18-2022, 05:57 PM
3-2 Auburn game.

lastmajordog
07-20-2022, 08:49 PM
I was there on the sidelines and two things remain in my mind (1) Make no mistake, the noise level of the DOGS aproaching scoring the south end zone, I screamed as loud as i could and could NOT hear myself......it was that loud. (2) It was sooooo hot with the humidity that night........I don?t think most people can truly phathom how horrible it is to play in Tiger Stadium at certain times......it was nothing short of brutal.