PDA

View Full Version : Hot Topic: How did you feel about a visit/game night appearance for Sly, Dan,or JoMo

Goldendawg
07-09-2022, 02:40 PM
My bad: Wondering how Do others feel about a night honoring any of these former coaches in the future?

JMO: Sly - Never
JoMO - Never
Dan - Pending, not enough time passed.

State82
07-09-2022, 02:43 PM
??????

Goldendawg
07-09-2022, 02:52 PM
??????

Honoring them on a game night appearance in the near or distant future?

State82
07-09-2022, 03:18 PM
Oh, ok. I was contotally fused.

viverlibre
07-09-2022, 03:38 PM
Dan/Dak built Starkville/Scott Field, I'm good with honoring him down the road.

Sly seems like a good guy and just in way over his head. He didn't even want the job, I blame Sly's lack of success on Simpleton. Simpleton should have clearly explained expectations and get goals, not tell Sly he, "has all the time in the world."

How Slomo effed up so bad in such a short time, I have no idea?

R2Dawg
07-09-2022, 04:02 PM
JoMo - never, what did he do to deserve worthy of honoring? He insulted our school and fanbase constantly.

Sly - I say no too. He didn't really do much either. He kinda insulted MSU on the way out.

Dan - I'm OK here in about 10-20 years.

A lot of coaches had a hand in building MSU football, not just Dan. Jackie, Bellard, McKeen, etc.

R2Dawg
07-09-2022, 04:04 PM
I'll add. I bet Dan regrets the way he left and maybe even leaving MSU in hindsight. He knew he had a good thing after he left. You could see it in his face as he looked around in DWS that night he brought UF in to play us. He was moved to tears almost.

parabrave
07-09-2022, 04:48 PM
JoMo - never, what did he do to deserve worthy of honoring? He insulted our school and fanbase constantly.

Sly - I say no too. He didn't really do much either. He kinda insulted MSU on the way out.

Dan - I'm OK here in about 10-20 years.

A lot of coaches had a hand in building MSU football, not just Dan. Jackie, Bellard, McKeen, etc.

Yeah but Dan brought national attention. That stadium expansion is due to Him.

parabrave
07-09-2022, 04:50 PM
Dan/Dak built Starkville/Scott Field, I'm good with honoring him down the road.

Sly seems like a good guy and just in way over his head. He didn't even want the job, I blame Sly's lack of success on Simpleton. Simpleton should have clearly explained expectations and get goals, not tell Sly he, "has all the time in the world."

How Slomo effed up so bad in such a short time, I have no idea?

According to old sources the Sly hiring was in the effect of Hire him or get the death Penalty.

99jc
07-09-2022, 05:19 PM
dan for sure.....the rest can gth

BogeyGolfer
07-09-2022, 05:56 PM
Dan in 3-5 years ? JWS was honored during the 2018 UF game ? Both deserve as much credit as possible. I would take Dan back today?

viverlibre
07-09-2022, 07:08 PM
Dan in 3-5 years ? JWS was honored during the 2018 UF game ? Both deserve as much credit as possible. I would take Dan back today?

You damn right about taking Dan back today. If we can get the NIL stuff figured and continue to get solid 3 stars, Dan could win again in Starkvegas.

Pancho
07-09-2022, 08:25 PM
Dak should also be present when Dan is recognized IMO

NCMSTFAN
07-09-2022, 08:58 PM
Mullen did bring National attention to our program. I hope he regrets leaving, he had it good at State.

Goldendawg
07-09-2022, 09:29 PM
Dak should also be present when Dan is recognized IMO

Didn't Hev recruit that LA. TE?

Todd4State
07-10-2022, 12:02 AM
Dan will be honored and I have no problem with it because of 2010 and 2014. I was never mad that he left. It was time for both of us to move on even if he didn't handle it well. He flamed out in Florida and didn't really do any better with his recruits there and so we'll just move on.

Joe I don't think was here long enough to be honored really. If we honored him I would think it would be a little weird.

Croom probably will be honored for PC reasons. I'm fine with that. His time was not successful here but he did score some big wins for us here and there that were fairly memorable. He was comparable to Felker to me.

Todd4State
07-10-2022, 12:03 AM
You damn right about taking Dan back today. If we can get the NIL stuff figured and continue to get solid 3 stars, Dan could win again in Starkvegas.

Or it would be comparable to Ron Polk 2 since he has already hit his ceiling and has nowhere else to go.

Newsflash- his recruiting is not getting better nor is his arrogance.

Saltydog
07-10-2022, 07:07 AM
My bad: Wondering how Do others feel about a night honoring any of these former coaches in the future?

JMO: Sly - Never
JoMO - Never
Dan - Pending, not enough time passed.

Why would Moorhead even remotely be in this conversation? I mean, c'mon. Sly, yeah possibly because he was the first AA coach in the league and Dan did put us on the map but even said it shouldn't happen anytime soon.

R2Dawg
07-10-2022, 07:20 AM
Yeah but Dan brought national attention. That stadium expansion is due to Him.

You must be young which is fine but you obviously were not around when Jackie came to town. We had the nation's attention before kickoff of the first game. The first game against nationally ranked Texas on national TV when we didn't get on TV to kick off the football season that year. Jackie put the SEC and the nation on notice that day.

In the late 90s, Jackie had everyone looking at Starkville and our football team.

I wasn't around for the 40-60s great teams so I can't speak for them. With media explosion the past 15 years, hard to compare eras, but Dan wasn't the only one to bring big things to MSU football.

Homedawg
07-10-2022, 09:16 AM
I'll add. I bet Dan regrets the way he left and maybe even leaving MSU in hindsight. He knew he had a good thing after he left. You could see it in his face as he looked around in DWS that night he brought UF in to play us. He was moved to tears almost.

You've never met Dan if you think for 1/2 a second he regrets how he left. He's a good coach but an arrogant asshole.

DownwardDawg
07-10-2022, 10:20 AM
You must be young which is fine but you obviously were not around when Jackie came to town. We had the nation's attention before kickoff of the first game. The first game against nationally ranked Texas on national TV when we didn't get on TV to kick off the football season that year. Jackie put the SEC and the nation on notice that day.

In the late 90s, Jackie had everyone looking at Starkville and our football team.

I wasn't around for the 40-60s great teams so I can't speak for them. With media explosion the past 15 years, hard to compare eras, but Dan wasn't the only one to bring big things to MSU football.

This 100%

schddog72
07-10-2022, 10:36 AM
You've never met Dan if you think for 1/2 a second he regrets how he left. He's a good coach but an arrogant asshole.

I'll add that I don't believe for 1/4 second that he regrets that he left at all. I've never met the man, but my son has, and he described Dan exactly as you stated above - "An arrogant asshole."

PGHBulldogBG
07-11-2022, 09:13 AM
Mullen was always too big for State in his mind. He only took this job to get his name on the map. Ironically he could?ve left after 2010 to Miami if his arrogance wasn?t so high. I don?t have a problem with Croom he just was not meant to be an SEC coach. JoMo insulted our fanbase and school so I don?t want any parts of him around. I hated that hire from day 1 and my annoyance with him got worse and worse each day

TrapGame
07-11-2022, 09:50 AM
Had Dan left after the 2018 year when we had the most talented team since 98/99 I'd be more inclined to bring him back for recognition night. The whole way he left, Fitz's injury and screwing Tennessee over for Florida like a punk just makes me think he's a total dick that doesn't deserve recognition. And I wouldn't take his arrogant ass back if he crawled over broken glass.

Johnson85
07-11-2022, 09:59 AM

Dan was burned out enough to fall apart at UF. You think he has the fire to succeed here? While also dealing with NIL and the players having the ability to transfer at will?

Dan missed his opportunity to do anything special in college football. He is not going to change his spots at this point and his style isn't going to work in college football unless you already have the credibility of somebody like Saban or huge NIL money to keep kids at the school (and Dan's not getting a job at anywhere with that type of money now). Dan was a very good and successful college coach with a good career, but even though he's still plenty young, he's probably done.

TrapGame
07-11-2022, 10:11 AM
Dan was burned out enough to fall apart at UF. You think he has the fire to succeed here? While also dealing with NIL and the players having the ability to transfer at will?

Dan missed his opportunity to do anything special in college football. He is not going to change his spots at this point and his style isn't going to work in college football unless you already have the credibility of somebody like Saban or huge NIL money to keep kids at the school (and Dan's not getting a job at anywhere with that type of money now). Dan was a very good and successful college coach with a good career, but even though he's still plenty young, he's probably done.

Dan could have been our Frank Beamer but he was too arrogant and egotistical to make the sacrifices that he needed to build a truly competitive program. He treated us as a long term stepping stone instead of building a staircase.

Jack Lambert
07-11-2022, 11:19 AM
Would you want any of the three to come back and coach even if it is just a position coach?

somebodyshotmypaw
07-11-2022, 12:09 PM
I don't know why you would honor someone just because they were employed. Kroger: "Today we are honoring Bob. He bagged groceries for 18 months back in 2016 and 2017. We had to fire him because he kept showing up late and bagging the gallon of milk on top of the egg cartons. But we are honoring the fired employee because he once drew a paycheck here that he never really earned or deserved."

I don't have a personal problem with any of the 3 coaches. But business is business. Moorhead was our head coach for 2 years and was terminated for not getting the job done. What business would even consider recognizing such an employee? Croom was our coach for 5 years and was also terminated for not getting the job done. Same logic applies. If these guys made such a solid contribution, then why the heck did we fire them?

Dan did make a much longer contribution, then resigned and moved on. That would make a little more sense.

I've run businesses since I was in my 20's. I can't fathom running one so badly that I'm terminated, then being called back for some special day honoring the very contributions that got me terminated. That's the stupid crap that government does.

Maybe the Jaguars will honor Urban Meyer, or the Raiders can honor Jamarcus Russell.

Johnson85
07-11-2022, 01:38 PM
I don't know why you would honor someone just because they were employed. Kroger: "Today we are honoring Bob. He bagged groceries for 18 months back in 2016 and 2017. We had to fire him because he kept showing up late and bagging the gallon of milk on top of the egg cartons. But we are honoring the fired employee because he once drew a paycheck here that he never really earned or deserved."

I don't have a personal problem with any of the 3 coaches. But business is business. Moorhead was our head coach for 2 years and was terminated for not getting the job done. What business would even consider recognizing such an employee? Croom was our coach for 5 years and was also terminated for not getting the job done. Same logic applies. If these guys made such a solid contribution, then why the heck did we fire them?

Dan did make a much longer contribution, then resigned and moved on. That would make a little more sense.

I've run businesses since I was in my 20's. I can't fathom running one so badly that I'm terminated, then being called back for some special day honoring the very contributions that got me terminated. That's the stupid crap that government does.

Maybe the Jaguars will honor Urban Meyer, or the Raiders can honor Jamarcus Russell.

Joe Mo would be a stupid thought. Not sure why he'd be included. But of course we could reasonably bring back Croom for recognition for being the first african american head caoch in the SEC. If and when he starts accepting that he just failed without feeling the need to deflect blame, I'd love for him to be welcomed back and spotlighted.

We made a NY6 bowl with Dan. If we wanted to honor that team in 2034, it'd make perfect sense to invite him back along with the players.

It'd make perfect sense to one day invite Stansbury back to be honored. He certainly wasn't perfect and his tenure didn't end well, but overall he was very good for the university. The fact that his son came here makes me think he has more perspective than Croom. OF course it's probably easier to be "encouraged to resign" when you have actual successes to look back on also to ease the sting to the pride.

ImissCityBagel
07-11-2022, 02:11 PM
JoMo would be run out of town

Leeshouldveflanked
07-11-2022, 04:54 PM
I really could care less and I doubt any of the 3 care either.

Todd4State
07-11-2022, 07:23 PM
I really could care less and I doubt any of the 3 care either.

Let me put it this way. When they honor Larry Templeton I don't stand and clap. I don't boo either. Probably would be the same for me with this group with the exception of Dan.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-11-2022, 08:33 PM
Joe Mo would be a stupid thought. Not sure why he'd be included. But of course we could reasonably bring back Croom for recognition for being the first african american head caoch in the SEC. If and when he starts accepting that he just failed without feeling the need to deflect blame, I'd love for him to be welcomed back and spotlighted.

We made a NY6 bowl with Dan. If we wanted to honor that team in 2034, it'd make perfect sense to invite him back along with the players.

It'd make perfect sense to one day invite Stansbury back to be honored. He certainly wasn't perfect and his tenure didn't end well, but overall he was very good for the university. The fact that his son came here makes me think he has more perspective than Croom. OF course it's probably easier to be "encouraged to resign" when you have actual successes to look back on also to ease the sting to the pride.

If you wanted to honor a certain team (such as NY6 team) you invite the coaches back that coached that team. Of course you do.

And if a coach’s good times outweigh the bad, you can honor him. The Saints would honor a Drew Brees or Sean Payton even though they had some 7-9 years. Because they had a great stretch for that franchise, they won a championship, and the good years outweighed the bad years.

But JoMo and Croom? You would be honoring someone for drawing a check. Will the NY Giants honor Joe Judge? Will USM honor Ellis Johnson? Will we honor Rick Ray at the Hump?

Bothrops
07-11-2022, 11:52 PM
I'll say this about JoMo, he never lost to Ole Miss. He'll go down in history as the only coach at MSU that can say that.

TrapGame
07-12-2022, 08:33 AM
I'll say this about JoMo, he never lost to Ole Miss. He'll go down in history as the only coach at MSU that can say that.

That shows you what a flaming garbage heap ole miss was for those two years. Man Titties couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.