PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated bullish on the Bulldogs in 2022

Coach34
07-08-2022, 07:59 PM
https://twitter.com/JWPSports/status/1545457061906903041?s=20&t=oAO8-KGTU_mh1belHKhXsw

You embedders feel free to embed

They have us at 9-3. As I said- This is Leach's only shot at 10 wins at State. This is his high water mark as State coach. Enjoy this year

BeardoMSU
07-08-2022, 08:29 PM
They have the west as an absolute buzz saw, too. All except auburn, lol.

BeardoMSU
07-08-2022, 08:30 PM
I guess by the standing they have us losing to Bama, Georgia, and Arky. I'll take that today.

Homedawg
07-08-2022, 08:53 PM
I'd feel way better if ga wasn't on the schedule... can't see 9 wins.

WhiskeyPirate
07-08-2022, 09:33 PM
8 wins is a good year.

Programs build on momentum, I’d assume Coach you are saying this is Leachs only chance based on NIL. That may be true, it’s yet to be seen if traditional program building based on wins/success is possible in the NIL era. I think it still is possible, we just don’t know how much impact NiL will have.

Leach has built strong programs as the smallest poorest school in P5 conferences twice. If it can be done in this era He would be the guy to do it.

I think nil hurts Bama more than it helps. Programs like tamu who are not elite and underachieve but have lots of cash will obviously have an advantage.

Catfish
07-08-2022, 09:43 PM
8 wins would make a dang good year with our schedule.

BrunswickDawg
07-08-2022, 09:56 PM
8 wins would make a dang good year with our schedule.

I'm sure we will have plenty on here who say every SEC team we beat is "having a down year" and look for reasons to discount it as legit.

Catfish
07-08-2022, 10:10 PM
I'm sure we will have plenty on here who say every SEC team we beat is "having a down year" and look for reasons to discount it as legit.

LOL, yup.

Quaoarsking
07-09-2022, 12:26 AM
Outside of our fanbase, most people think Leach is a fantastic coach who will take us to great heights.

Commercecomet24
07-09-2022, 01:37 AM

Yep happens every single year.

99jc
07-09-2022, 09:00 AM
https://twitter.com/JWPSports/status/1545457061906903041?s=20&t=oAO8-KGTU_mh1belHKhXsw

They have us at 9-3. As I said- This is Leach's only shot at 10 wins at State. This is his high water mark as State coach. Enjoy this year

are we the only ones that believe we really have a shot at 10 wins? me thinks so

Offshore Dawg
07-09-2022, 09:15 AM

It will be legit to me, and I feel like many others will feel the same way.

RiverCityDawg
07-09-2022, 09:43 AM

I'll bite...

I've seen you say he should lead us to a good year this year, but haven't noticed this specific take... What makes you think this will be his "only" shot at 10 wins at State?

R2Dawg
07-09-2022, 09:51 AM

Same way everyone says that when you talk about how dominant JWS was hugh. For 4 years we were the best team in the SECW back then.

Aub finishes where they predict, then yeah Aub is down.

Someone has to finish last so at least one or two is going to have a down year.

R2Dawg
07-09-2022, 09:53 AM
Outside of our fanbase, most people think Leach is a fantastic coach who will take us to great heights.

Wrong. If true then why did we have to beat out no one to get him? We didn't even have to beat out WSU.

I'm not a Leach hater but have a little balance to the narrative.

Quaoarsking
07-09-2022, 10:02 AM
Wrong. If true then why did we have to beat out no one to get him? We didn't even have to beat out WSU.

"Most people" meaning college football fans, journalists, and experts, not university presidents and ADs. He doesn't interview well by all accounts.

And Wazzu would have loved to keep him, but couldn't come close to the salary we were offering, not to mention the prestige of being in the SEC.

Pancho
07-09-2022, 11:40 AM
I'll bite...

I've seen you say he should lead us to a good year this year, but haven't noticed this specific take... What makes you think this will be his "only" shot at 10 wins at State?

Offensive continuity is imperative and the only way to achieve it is for guys to have "time" in the system and this 22 season Leach will have more guys who have been involved for 2+ years and it'll be another 2-5 years til he has that again. JMHO

Dolphus Raymond
07-09-2022, 12:02 PM
I am a big Leach fan and am optimistic.

WhiskeyPirate
07-09-2022, 12:06 PM
Offensive continuity is imperative and the only way to achieve it is for guys to have "time" in the system and this 22 season Leach will have more guys who have been involved for 2+ years and it'll be another 2-5 years til he has that again. JMHO

Usually once the air raid gets going it reloads , especially true with the q b position. Guys wait their turn and it’s surprising how good the q b replacements are after holding the clip board while running the system in practice. I haven’t ever really seen air raid drop off on offense. It’s usually been the defense that has given leach programs ups and downs over the years. I don’t see that happening here with Arnett.

Coach34
07-09-2022, 12:14 PM
I'll bite...

We lose alot after this season and NIL is a full go in this recruiting cycle across the country. Our recruiting will slowly get worse in football while the middle of the SEC- gets stronger with the money they spend. Plus the SEC is adding more upper level teams that will just make our schedule that much tougher every season

This is kind of the "last hurrah" for State football

RiverCityDawg
07-09-2022, 12:25 PM

We will have most of the starting offense coming back for 2023 though.

After that we should have guys that have been in the system for 2-3 years and getting some reps ready to step up into starting roles. You don't see a drop off from Leach's offense once it gets up and rolling. I mean I guess anything could happen, but it wouldn't be the norm.

RiverCityDawg
07-09-2022, 12:32 PM
We lose alot after this season and NIL is a full go in this recruiting cycle across the country. Our recruiting will slowly get worse in football while the middle of the SEC- gets stronger with the money they spend. Plus the SEC is adding more upper level teams that will just make our schedule that much tougher every season

Nah. Our recruiting will be where it has always been. And while the SEC is adding more good programs, the new schedule will not be any harder than it is now. The 2023 schedule will almost certainly be easier than 2022 since we're dropping Georgia, and once the new schedule format comes out we'll likely avoid playing Alabama every year, which takes the auto-loss of the schedule.

And next year we have most of the offensive starters back and could get a decent amount of defensive starters back if they take their COVID year.

Coach34
07-09-2022, 12:36 PM
We will have most of the starting offense coming back for 2023 though..

We lose Sharp, Jones, Johnson, and Smith. And with the portal and NIL- we wont know who will return at this point.

Coach34
07-09-2022, 12:41 PM
Nah. Our recruiting will be where it has always been. And while the SEC is adding more good programs, the new schedule will not be any harder than it is now. The 2023 schedule will almost certainly be easier than 2022 since we're dropping Georgia, and once the new schedule format comes out we'll likely avoid playing Alabama every year, which takes the auto-loss of the schedule.

And next year we have most of the offensive starters back and could get a decent amount of defensive starters back if they take their COVID year.

We'll see. I think you are wrong there. We already have 8 commits and are 57th in the country currently. Long way to go but people are about to learn the impact of NIL in college football

HoopsDawg
07-09-2022, 12:44 PM

depressing, but true. Last hurrah for State football and for Mike Leach.

AROB44
07-09-2022, 12:51 PM
We'll see. I think you are wrong there. We already have 8 commits and are 57th in the country currently. Long way to go but people are about to learn the impact of NIL in college football

I have to agree with you here. The transfer portal, NIL and the additions of Texas and Oklahoma are in no way a positive for us (or OM as well). The best days of MSU football are gone for good. So glad I got to live through the JWS and Dan Mullen eras. We will never be that good again.

Offshore Dawg
07-09-2022, 01:45 PM
This could get depressing 😕

Goldendawg
07-09-2022, 02:05 PM
I have to agree with you here. The transfer portal, NIL and the additions of Texas and Oklahoma are in no way a positive for us (or OM as well). The best days of MSU football are gone for good. So glad I got to live through the JWS and Dan Mullen eras. We will never be that good again.

I've been going since 1963 and when were these so called "best days"? They were and have been few and far in-between. It takes guts to be a State fan and little will change in the future, as we fight to have a really good season now and then. Except for the last 3 years JWS taught us to win and took us to a SEC Championship the only time in my life. Looking back, job searching Dan who was very poor overall against ranked teams built his record against OOC cupcakes and teams similar to us, 2014 the exception, but he quit against bama and UM to start his annual job search. Hail State!

AROB44
07-09-2022, 02:17 PM
I've been going since 1963 and when were these so called "best days"? They were and have been few and far in-between. It takes guts to be a State fan and little will change in the future, as we fight to have a really good season now and then. Except for the last 3 years JWS taught us to win and took us to a SEC Championship the only time in my life. Looking back, job searching Dan who was very poor overall against ranked teams built his record against OOC cupcakes and teams similar to us, 2014 the exception, but he quit against bama and UM to start his annual job search. Hail State!

Well, I've been going since 1961 and my point was that the JWS and DM days were the best I ever saw and that includes the Bob Tyler years and the one year under Bullard. And, I don't expect to see those type of years in the future. You can put down the Mullen years all you want, but he was one of the best coaches in MSU history.

RiverCityDawg
07-09-2022, 02:30 PM
We lose Sharp, Jones, Johnson, and Smith. And with the portal and NIL- we wont know who will return at this point.

Jones, Johnson, and Smith all have Covid years available and could return. I doubt they all will, but I bet one or two will if we really want them to.

And yeah with the portal and NIL I guess you could say no one knows for sure who will return for anyone... So this can only be a negative for Mississippi State and none of our opponents, right? Poor us, won't be able to manage that uncertainty but everyone else will, I guess.

So sure, if everyone slated to return is going to leave, I'll agree it's now or never. But I think
I'll wait until there's some sort of reasonable belief of that happening before making that wild assumption.

And again, the 2023 schedule will be easier than this year.

Goldendawg
07-09-2022, 02:34 PM
Well, I've been going since 1961 and my point was that the JWS and DM days were the best I ever saw and that includes the Bob Tyler years and the one year under Bullard. And, I don't expect to see those type of years in the future. You can put down the Mullen years all you want, but he was one of the best coaches in MSU history.

Well, you got me beat by two years. Admire all State fans loyalty and tenacity. I was at State during part of the Tyler years which were very good until the NCAA hammered us. If you have noticed, we drew NCAA attention about every time we had very successful years. SEC powers and OM had to keep us "in our place". I still consider Jackie our best coach. Mixed emotions on Dan, but that is with Monday morning QBing. Enjoyed 2014 run while it was happening, but it seemed surreal. Here's to a great 2023 and needed adaptations to the changing college FB world!

RiverCityDawg
07-09-2022, 02:36 PM

We will have as many or more wins this year than the majority Mullen's and Jackie's years.

Maroonthirteen
07-09-2022, 02:47 PM
I'll be your huckleberry....

Arnett before find some physical players. The defense was soft many games last year. He needs some men or the dink and dunk better chew up a lot of clock and finish drives with points. 30+ To win.

Goldendawg
07-09-2022, 02:48 PM
Jones, Johnson, and Smith all have Covid years available and could return. I doubt they all will, but I bet one or two will if we really want them to.

And yeah with the portal and NIL I guess you could say no one knows for sure who will return for anyone... So this can only be a negative for Mississippi State and none of our opponents, right? Poor us, won't be able to manage that uncertainty but everyone else will, I guess.

So sure, if everyone slated to return is going to leave, I'll agree it's now or never. But I think
I'll wait until there's some sort of reasonable belief of that happening before making that wild assumption.

Good post, but with this positive attitude, you will never be allowed membership in the "we are poor, pitiful State club"!

William Tecumsah Sherman
07-09-2022, 03:12 PM
Half of me is a pessimist/realist when it comes to Mississippi State football. It?s a curse my granddad placed on us by enrolling at State on the GI Bill. The other of half me gets excited as hell this time of year when football is on the horizon thinking we can knock some teams off. My young kids are hooked on going to the games and I look forward to these 7 Saturdays in Starkville coming up, regardless of the prospects of a winning season. Great memories are waiting to be made, boys!

Pancho
07-09-2022, 04:00 PM
We will have most of the starting offense coming back for 2023 though.

After that we should have guys that have been in the system for 2-3 years and getting some reps ready to step up into starting roles. You don't see a drop off from Leach's offense once it gets up and rolling. I mean I guess anything could happen, but it wouldn't be the norm.

sound like you kinda saying Leach should win 8-9 games annually from here forward. I am not that confident.

R2Dawg
07-09-2022, 04:09 PM
We will have as many or more wins this year than the majority Mullen's and Jackie's years.

He'll also play in 1-2 more than JWS did each year due to extra cupcake game and everyone gets a bowl now so need to ease up on the Leach better than Jackie until he actually does something.

Coach34
07-09-2022, 04:12 PM

A) We may get one of them back but I'm not counting on it. Especially when someone else could offer them a deal to leave. Not to mention any other breakout performers getting a BBD to leave us.

B) I'll just remind you what happened when we H2H with Mizzou in basketball for a player and got blown away. We are bottom of the SEC in money. That's just a fact. This will happen to us constantly in football and already is.

C) I dont think this staff works to find the undervalued guys that Mullen did.

D) We have no idea yet what 2023 will be. OU and Texas are still working to get out of the Big12 by next year and ESPN is already negotiating to break their ACC contract for Clemson and crew to join ASAP. That's before even breaking down any other teams for 2023.

Coach34
07-09-2022, 04:24 PM
4-star or better commits right now in the SEC:

UPig- 7
Tenn- 7
LSU- 10
Georgia- 9
Bama- 8
Florida- 9
SC- 5
Vandy- 1
Mizzou- 2
A&M- 3
Mississippi- 2
Auburn- 4

State? 0

99jc
07-09-2022, 04:30 PM

i disagree here will we take a step back next year but never underestimate the difficulty of defending the air raid when you've a serviceable offensive line decent wr group and an accurate qb 8 wins should be the norm.

RiverCityDawg
07-09-2022, 06:06 PM
sound like you kinda saying Leach should win 8-9 games annually from here forward. I am not that confident.

I'm just refuting the idea that essentially the Leach tenure is guaranteed to peak this year and then go down hill afterwards.

I do think things line up fairly well for us this year except for the schedule, but next year things could set up well too, especially if we get some key covid seniors back. Beyond that, who knows, but there's no reason to be overly negative at this point.

RiverCityDawg
07-09-2022, 06:17 PM
He'll also play in 1-2 more than JWS did each year due to extra cupcake game and everyone gets a bowl now so need to ease up on the Leach better than Jackie until he actually does something.

Didn't say Leach is better than Jackie, but I do think we win 8 games this year, which is something Jackie didn't do in 9 of his 13 years.

And the SEC, especially the West, is much more competitive now overall than it was during Jackie's days.

I'm not slamming Jackie, I love Jackie. But I am slamming the idea that what Jackie did is some level of greatness that we can't see again. We were a Burks trip and flop from 8 regular season wins last year, which is as good as it got with Jackie aside from 1999. We need to take another step forward this year, but we're not that far from the same level of success.

AROB44
07-09-2022, 06:27 PM
Didn't say Leach is better than Jackie, but I do think we win 8 games this year, which is something Jackie didn't do in 9 of his 13 years.

And the SEC, especially the West, is much more competitive now overall than it was during Jackie's days.

I'm not slamming Jackie, I love Jackie. But I am slamming the idea that what Jackie did is some level of greatness that we can't see again. We were a Burks trip and flop from 8 regular season wins last year, which is as good as it got with Jackie aside from 1999. We need to take another step forward this year, but we're not that far from the same level of success.

1999 record was 10-2.

RiverCityDawg
07-09-2022, 06:38 PM
A) We may get one of them back but I'm not counting on it. Especially when someone else could offer them a deal to leave. Not to mention any other breakout performers getting a BBD to leave us.

B) I'll just remind you what happened when we H2H with Mizzou in basketball for a player and got blown away. We are bottom of the SEC in money. That's just a fact. This will happen to us constantly in football and already is.

C) I dont think this staff works to find the undervalued guys that Mullen did.

D) We have no idea yet what 2023 will be. OU and Texas are still working to get out of the Big12 by next year and ESPN is already negotiating to break their ACC contract for Clemson and crew to join ASAP. That's before even breaking down any other teams for 2023.

A) We took care of some guys this year to get them to stay, we can do it again. Those guys aren't super stars, just good players very much in our "league". I agree that if we can't convince that level of player to stay versus going to another school or similar caliber then we're screwed, but there's nothing to suggest that will happen.

B) We've always been in the bottom half with everything. I'll believe we slide even further down the pecking order when I see it.

C) Leach and his staff have literally made a living out of doing this. I would say it's too early to make a determination of this at State, but we have several guys on the roster that could be those guys. Also, you probably don't take quite as many "undervalued" guys now with the portal any way.

D) The report about ESPN breaking the ACC contract was false. It came from some swimming blog guy. Don't believe everything you read on Twitter. It's possible but highly unlikely Texas and OU join next year. The real
hope is for 2024. Barring something unexpected, next year our other East opponent will be @SC and we get Arizona at home. Even after Texas and OU join its highly unlikely we have Alabama and LSU as permanent opponents. I agree it's too early to say what the schedule is going to be, yet here you are declaring that we have no chance at 10 after this year.

Let me be clear... I'm not saying we're in for a bunch of 10 win seasons with Leach. History would say it's unlikely. No coach has done it here. I just reject the idea that this year is the last gasp before things are certain to fall off the cliff. That this is as good as it can get and then we're done. That's just MSU fan self misery speaking.

RiverCityDawg
07-09-2022, 06:39 PM
1999 record was 10-2.

Hence "aside from 1999"

Coach34
07-09-2022, 10:09 PM
B) We've always been in the bottom half with everything. I'll believe we slide even further down the pecking order when I see it.

C) Leach and his staff have literally made a living out of doing this. I would say it's too early to make a determination of this at State, but we have several guys on the roster that could be those guys. Also, you probably don't take quite as many "undervalued" guys now with the portal any way.

I'll post this again:

UPig- 7
Tenn- 7
LSU- 10
Georgia- 9
Bama- 8
Florida- 9
SC- 5
Vandy- 1
Mizzou- 2
A&M- 3
Mississippi- 2
Auburn- 4

State? 0

NIL is now starting to kick in and we are seeing the effects. UPig has as many 4-star commits as we have commits period. SC is now recruiting better. Many of you just fail to understand the impact NIL is having now in recruiting. Tenn and others are paying top recruits to come to camp and its all legal now.

2022 is our Waterloo, Gettysburg, Battle of the Bulge in college football. This is our shot to make it happen. Things arent going to get better after this

HoopsDawg
07-09-2022, 10:23 PM
I'll post this again:

UPig- 7
Tenn- 7
LSU- 10
Georgia- 9
Bama- 8
Florida- 9
SC- 5
Vandy- 1
Mizzou- 2
A&M- 3
Mississippi- 2
Auburn- 4

State? 0

NIL is now starting to kick in and we are seeing the effects. UPig has as many 4-star commits as we have commits period. SC is now recruiting better. Many of you just fail to understand the impact NIL is having now in recruiting. Tenn and others are paying top recruits to come to camp and its all legal now.

2022 is our Waterloo, Gettysburg, Battle of the Bulge in college football. This is our shot to make it happen. Things arent going to get better after this

Ouch!

Todd4State
07-09-2022, 11:51 PM
If those offensive linemen leave that's a good thing because it means that they performed well enough to play in the NFL. I'm not too worried about other teams paying for our players. That's been attempted by both Ole Miss and Alabama so far and both times we were able to thwart it. And that's with NIL in its infancy.

As far as Mizzou basketball- basketball is their sport. I'm not surprised at all that they would put more into NIL than us for a basketball player. I also think Mosley didn't really want to be here.

The main issue for MSU football has always been athletic department management. Our two most successful football coaches were Jackie who was hired by the school President and Dan who was hired by Greg Byrne- by far MSU's most proactive AD. We simply do not put enough into it at that level. I believe we can do more- if we put half the effort that we put into baseball that we put into football we would be a lot better than we are now. Look at our NIL situation. It's being headed up by an alum because MSU's attempt failed miserably. And then the same with recruiting. Why are we always told that "well the football coach only wanted x amount for recruiting." Just because Dan, Moorhead, Leach etc. say that it doesn't mean that MSU has to sit there and say well that's all we're going to give. They could give more and I highly doubt he would be upset that MSU is giving him more money for recruiting. Same with an IPF. Just because Leach isn't begging for one doesn't mean that building one would be a bad idea.

The good news is Bracky Brett finally left so now at least we aren't more concerned with exemplary compliance awards than we are bowl trophys.

Todd4State
07-09-2022, 11:56 PM
I'll post this again:

UPig- 7
Tenn- 7
LSU- 10
Georgia- 9
Bama- 8
Florida- 9
SC- 5
Vandy- 1
Mizzou- 2
A&M- 3
Mississippi- 2
Auburn- 4

State? 0

I don't think any of us really know what our full potential is as far as recruiting. We've never been able to pay players before and any attempts to be organized in the past were attacked by MSU to save face with the NCAA as we overpenalized ourselves. Our NIL is still working on getting a web site up. Once that happens in the next week or so than we can really start to see what we can do.

There were a LOT of MSU fans that were against paying players in the past because they were scared about MSU throwing them under the bus.

And I'm not saying that we're Alabama or Tennessee level if at full power- but South Carolina, Mizzou, Kentucky as far as football goes? Maybe.

Edit to say that we've also never really had a consistent football staff that focused heavily on recruiting since Jackie. That's been a major issue too.

Coach34
07-10-2022, 12:08 AM
I don't think any of us really know what our full potential is as far as recruiting. We've never been able to pay players before and any attempts to be organized in the past were attacked by MSU to save face with the NCAA as we overpenalized ourselves. Our NIL is still working on getting a web site up. Once that happens in the next week or so than we can really start to see what we can do.

There were a LOT of MSU fans that were against paying players in the past because they were scared about MSU throwing them under the bus.

And I'm not saying that we're Alabama or Tennessee level if at full power- but South Carolina, Mizzou, Kentucky as far as football goes? Maybe.

Edit to say that we've also never really had a consistent football staff that focused heavily on recruiting since Jackie. That's been a major issue too.

Well- we see where we are today vs the rest of the SEC. 14th

RiverCityDawg
07-10-2022, 07:14 AM
I'll post this again:

UPig- 7
Tenn- 7
LSU- 10
Georgia- 9
Bama- 8
Florida- 9
SC- 5
Vandy- 1
Mizzou- 2
A&M- 3
Mississippi- 2
Auburn- 4

State? 0

It's early July. We'll finish ranked 27-32 nationally and bottom half of the conference like always. Always been like that, always will, NIL or not.

RezDog7
07-10-2022, 07:38 AM

I really hate to admit it but I agree with you on this. Hopefully I'm wrong, but college football will never be the same and MSU is just not committed like other schools.

BrunswickDawg
07-10-2022, 08:04 AM
I get what Coach34 is saying, and understand the pessimism. We need to figure out a way to funnel our new TV deal monies into the NIL fund. That's the opportunity that we have to compete. I guarantee other schools are thinking that way and we need to be creative. Unfortunately, that has never been our strength.

msstate7
07-10-2022, 08:05 AM

UPig- 7
Tenn- 7
LSU- 10
Georgia- 9
Bama- 8
Florida- 9
SC- 5
Vandy- 1
Mizzou- 2
A&M- 3
Mississippi- 2
Auburn- 4

State? 0

Might as well throw Texas' 12 and Oklahoma's 5 in there

Coach34
07-10-2022, 08:53 AM
It's early July. We'll finish ranked 27-32 nationally and bottom half of the conference like always. Always been like that, always will, NIL or not.

Unfortunately too many of our fans have this opinion/view....and that’s why we are 57th currently in recruiting

Dawgfan77
07-10-2022, 09:17 AM
I would like to add a few things here.
We will never have the money that some schools do, but we are not the po ol mithippi state of the 80s 90s and early 2000's. Contrary to what some on here have stated we are actually doing very very well with the NIL deals. What we did have was a rough start to the process. As well as having to move some people and personnel around. We upgraded some staff positions as well. Now I say this to be fair that we have money and we have the investment and buy in but we also have to be smart and not just throw money away. We are much more organized than we were and we have some things working in the background that will help us.
Just throwing some actual positive news out rather than some negativity regarding our athletics.

RiverCityDawg
07-10-2022, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately too many of our fans have this opinion/view....and that’s why we are 57th currently in recruiting

And you thinking the world is ending is going to help? Okay.

My opinion that we aren't going to fall off the cliff and will keep up with NIL just fine has nothing to do with our completely pointless and incomplete recruiting ranking 5 months before the early signing period.

TALL DAWG
07-10-2022, 11:10 AM
We will figure this NIL out and it will take a lot of us contributing $50-$100/mth with our BIG DAWGS giving millions each yr as I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago. We can compete.

Also, I will wager something is going to happen to somewhat help level the NIL playing field within couple yrs.

bulldawg28
07-10-2022, 02:53 PM
We will figure this NIL out and it will take a lot of us contributing $50-$100/mth with our BIG DAWGS giving millions each yr as I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago. We can compete.

Also, I will wager something is going to happen to somewhat help level the NIL playing field within couple yrs.

99 says he's donating millions so we should be good.

R2Dawg
07-10-2022, 03:30 PM

It is a lot easier to win 8 games now than back then - see my previous post. We get an extra cupcake and any team with a pulse gets a bowl now in which we usually have the advantage. That is 2 almost Ws that Jackie didn't get. Going by total wins is total BS for comparisons.

I never said we can't get there again. We did for a short season with Dan.

The SEC was just as good back then (minus the level Bama has been), other than that, no difference. LSU sucked last couple years. TAMU has been a joke. Aub has been down. Ark has sucked for a decade. So outside of Bama how is SEC better now than the 90s? UF and UT were better than all the SECW now minus Bama. Jackie beat them all and a lot of times made them like it.

I'm not sure if Jackie is the greatest or not or Dan but the constant downplay of what Jackie did is not a good reflection of history.

Todd4State
07-10-2022, 03:38 PM
It is a lot easier to win 8 games now than back then - see my previous post. We get an extra cupcake and any team with a pulse gets a bowl now in which we usually have the advantage. That is 2 almost Ws that Jackie didn't get. Going by total wins is total BS for comparisons.

The SEC was just as good back then (minus the level Bama has been), other than that, no difference. LSU sucked last couple years. TAMU has been a joke. Aub has been down. Ark has sucked for a decade. So outside of Bama how is SEC better now than the 90s? UF and UT were better than all the SECW now minus Bama. Jackie beat them all and a lot of times made them like it.

I'm not sure if Jackie is the greatest or not or Dan but the constant downplay of what Jackie did is not a good reflection of history.

Jackie also didn't play 12 games in a season and usually only had to play 11. The difference is the FCS game that we play annually which no doubt would have increased his win total by 12-13.

I'm convinced that most MSU fans that think Dan was the best weren't around for Jackie.

Give me Jackie's 1994, 1998, and 1999 seasons over almost all of Dan's seasons. The only seasons that Dan had that are comparable are 2010 which gets overlooked a lot by MSU fans for some reason and of course 2014.

Maroonthirteen
07-10-2022, 04:53 PM
We need to figure out a way to funnel our new TV deal monies into the NIL fund. That's the opportunity that we have to compete..

That's crossed my mind too. It's going to be interesting when it is discovered a school has a fraudulent account on the books, that is actually an expense account for NIL money.

NCAA investigator: " Hey athletic department. Y'all spend a ton on minor medical supplies. Your utilities are extremely high. Also let's see this ice machine that cost $10 million a year. "

TrapGame
07-10-2022, 05:04 PM
That's crossed my mind too. It's going to be interesting when it is discovered a school has a fraudulent account on the books, that is actually an expense account for NIL money.

NCAA investigator: " Hey athletic department. Y'all spend a ton on minor medical supplies. Your utilities are extremely high. Also let's see this ice machine that cost $10 million a year. "

And unfortunately we have no one in admin that would tell the NCAA to go **** themselves.

Churchill
07-10-2022, 05:21 PM

I wish I could argue with you but without some dramatic change in the course college football is now on.....I can't.

BeardoMSU
07-10-2022, 06:23 PM
Jackie also didn't play 12 games in a season and usually only had to play 11. The difference is the FCS game that we play annually which no doubt would have increased his win total by 12-13.

I'm convinced that most MSU fans that think Dan was the best weren't around for Jackie.

Give me Jackie's 1994, 1998, and 1999 seasons over almost all of Dan's seasons. The only seasons that Dan had that are comparable are 2010 which gets overlooked a lot by MSU fans for some reason and of course 2014.

Yes. 2010 was a great coaching job. After that, Dan owes his lucky stars to Dak, really....

Looking back on the past, I'm appreciative of Dan; he absolutely pulled us out of the abyss....but I'm more nostalgic for Dak's years...He's hands down the best thing that's ever happened to our FB program. Add in the added positive of us all being able to still watch him play at an elite level and root for his success in the NFL. That's literally new ground for MSU fans, as far as QBs go.

Compare that with Dan's success post MSU...not so good, lol. His best year at Florida with Trask he still finished 8-4 (granted that was a COVID year), and his tenure ended as most of us predicted.

RiverCityDawg
07-10-2022, 07:27 PM

Again, I like Jackie, but we had a losing record 6 of his 13 years. This all started not to downplay Jackie, just to say that when you consider his whole tenure I don't think what he did here is some unattainable level of success, which was the implication of the other poster. That's specifically what I was addressing.

R2Dawg
07-10-2022, 07:43 PM
Again, I like Jackie, but we had a losing record 6 of his 13 years. This all started not to downplay Jackie, just to say that when you consider his whole tenure I don't think what he did here is some unattainable level of success, which was the implication of the other poster. That's specifically what I was addressing.

That is fine but you keep saying I or others said he achieved some unattainable level of success. That was never said. 3 of JWS losing years were the last 3. I can't help any MSU fan who don't realize what JWS did at MSU. Even Dan credited JWS for setting the standard at MSU when he took the job.

JWS inherited a mess and had us winning immediately similar to Dan. That is how you know you got a great coach. JWS had a lot going on the last few years none of which were shopping for another job. Jackie was true maroon and was a winner, plain and simple.

RiverCityDawg
07-11-2022, 07:59 AM
That is fine but you keep saying I or others said he achieved some unattainable level of success. That was never said. 3 of JWS losing years were the last 3. I can't help any MSU fan who don't realize what JWS did at MSU. Even Dan credited JWS for setting the standard at MSU when he took the job.

JWS inherited a mess and had us winning immediately similar to Dan. That is how you know you got a great coach. JWS had a lot going on the last few years none of which were shopping for another job. Jackie was true maroon and was a winner, plain and simple.

I keep saying it because I'm trying to get you to understand that's the only comment I'm arguing against here...

This is what AROB said that I was responding to:
"So glad I got to live through the JWS and Dan Mullen eras. We will never be that good again."

"Never be that good again" = unattainable, does it not?

I agree Jackie was true maroon, set the standard, changed the attitude and all that stuff. I just think it's possible that we can be "that good" again. That's all I'm saying.

FISHDAWG
07-11-2022, 08:07 AM

I get what you're saying but he also left us on probation ... he also played an offense that would not be competitive for us today. Jackie had his day ... we need something much more to compete today. I don't know if that's Leach but it's gonna take something WAY different after NIL gets in full swing everywhere ... when was the last time aTm had a number one cruitin class - times are changing and we must change with them and if we don't have aTm's NIL type bank account then out of the ordinary coaches are all that's left - in other words, Leach or some other eccentric is our best shot

Todd4State
07-11-2022, 11:36 AM
[/B]

I get what you're saying but he also left us on probation ... he also played an offense that would not be competitive for us today. Jackie had his day ... we need something much more to compete today. I don't know if that's Leach but it's gonna take something WAY different after NIL gets in full swing everywhere ... when was the last time aTm had a number one cruitin class - times are changing and we must change with them and if we don't have aTm's NIL type bank account then out of the ordinary coaches are all that's left - in other words, Leach or some other eccentric is our best shot

Jackie also has zero support from the athletic administration when we were under investigation.

Dawgfan77
07-11-2022, 11:58 AM
[/B]

Sumlin recruiting rankings seemed to always be top 5 top 10. AM has never had an issue with talent. When you have invested that kind of money into players you can't make everyone happy. AM has a track record of under performances with talent.

MaroonFlounder
07-11-2022, 12:05 PM

Are Johnson and Smith considered losses? They haven't bowled me away. I like Smith's energy and Dolla Bill's size and frame, but we have underclassmen with higher ceilings at their positions.

Sharp is a loss, no doubt, with his experience.

BuckyIsAB****
07-11-2022, 12:07 PM
Anything less than 7-5 and the egg is a failure. 7-5 better include the egg or 7-5 is a failure

99jc
07-11-2022, 12:11 PM
Another thing Joe Lee Dunn saved Jackie's ass with his defense on numerable occasions. joe Lee hated JWS. I was at a recruiting dinner one night at that steak house on old 182 going towards Columbus, can't remember the name, anyways JWS left after dinner and Joe Lee said now we can get down to business that asshole is gone! They were like oil and water! I miss no socks!

Coach34
07-11-2022, 12:43 PM
Another thing Joe Lee Dunn saved Jackie's ass with his defense on numerable occasions. !

Joe Lee didnt save shit- he did his job as DC. Who you think got Joe Lee those players? It damn sure wasnt JLD out on the road visiting Momma's and getting deals done. Melvin, Hendrix, and Jackie closing guys got JLD his toys to play with. Some people seem to forget how bad JLD's last couple of D's were at State when he didnt have Smoot and Bean anymore

R2Dawg
07-11-2022, 01:03 PM
I keep saying it because I'm trying to get you to understand that's the only comment I'm arguing against here...

This is what AROB said that I was responding to:
"So glad I got to live through the JWS and Dan Mullen eras. We will never be that good again."

"Never be that good again" = unattainable, does it not?

I agree Jackie was true maroon, set the standard, changed the attitude and all that stuff. I just think it's possible that we can be "that good" again. That's all I'm saying.

OK then you should have replied to AROB post not mine. That is my point. I didn't say it so stop lecturing me about it. Thanks no flame just make the counter point to the one that said it. You are picking a fight with me when there isn't one.

I think we agree on many things of the topic.

R2Dawg
07-11-2022, 01:05 PM
Joe Lee didnt save shit- he did his job as DC. Who you think got Joe Lee those players? It damn sure wasnt JLD out on the road visiting Momma's and getting deals done. Melvin, Hendrix, and Jackie closing guys got JLD his toys to play with. Some people seem to forget how bad JLD's last couple of D's were at State when he didnt have Smoot and Bean anymore

Agree Jackie and company recruited the talent. JLD got credit for some results and was popular because of his fly by seat of pants style but JWS was the architect behind those teams.

99jc
07-11-2022, 01:15 PM

We will just have to disagree on this i was close to the team at that time. I know many players did not respect jws but did joe lee. And if JWS was reasonable for recruiting smoot and bean he dropped the ball after they left.

Extendedcab
07-11-2022, 01:25 PM
We will just have to disagree on this i was close to the team at that time. I know many players did not respect jws but did joe lee. And if JWS was reasonable for recruiting smoot and bean he dropped the ball after they left.

Not being close to the program, word in my circle, was that JWS lost respect of the team due to how he handled the relationship between his daughter and Wayne Madkin.

RiverCityDawg
07-11-2022, 02:02 PM
OK then you should have replied to AROB post not mine. That is my point. I didn't say it so stop lecturing me about it. Thanks no flame just make the counter point to the one that said it. You are picking a fight with me when there isn't one.

I think we agree on many things of the topic.

I did reply to AROB. You are the one that replied to me. No worries though, just a misunderstanding.

TrapGame
07-11-2022, 02:04 PM
It didn't help Joe Lee either when he started blabbing at luncheons and grid iron dinners about how he calls his defenses including not covering the TE on most sets.

99jc
07-11-2022, 02:11 PM
Not being close to the program, word in my circle, was that JWS lost respect of the team due to how he handled the relationship between his daughter and Wayne Madkin.

That is true and there was much more to it than that.

bulldawg28
07-11-2022, 02:14 PM
That is true and there was much more to it than that.

That's totally false. Stop making s*** up. I was in those teams and players could care less. JWS didn't do anything to Wayne. I thought your were an insider with all your booster money? Sounds like a typical wannabe

bulldawg28
07-11-2022, 02:15 PM

Wrong again

bulldawg28
07-11-2022, 02:15 PM

False

bulldawg28
07-11-2022, 02:16 PM

1000% truth!

Coach34
07-11-2022, 04:51 PM
That's totally false. Stop making s*** up. I was in those teams and players could care less. JWS didn't do anything to Wayne. I thought your were an insider with all your booster money? Sounds like a typical wannabe

I have yet to meet a former player that played for The Kang that didnt love him. I'm sure there are a few- always is. But I have yet to meet one. The ones I know will fight you over him.

Extendedcab
07-11-2022, 05:23 PM
False

Good to hear, I have always like JWS. I am a big fan of his!

99jc
07-11-2022, 09:32 PM
1000% truth!

lol you so full of shit your still butt hurt your degree in basket weaving only got you back to your doublewide in Ackerman

Todd4State
07-12-2022, 02:02 AM

I blame the Arizona Western JUCO pass rush or lack thereof more than losing Smoot and Bean. Korey Banks played in Canada for awhile so he wasn't an awful player.

Agree Jackie and company recruited the talent. JLD got credit for some results and was popular because of his fly by seat of pants style but JWS was the architect behind those teams.

Jackie definitely gets credit for bringing in Joe Lee. That was the key hire for us for our late 1990's run.

bulldawg28
07-12-2022, 08:06 AM
I have yet to meet a former player that played for The Kang that didnt love him. I'm sure there are a few- always is. But I have yet to meet one. The ones I know will fight you over him.

Jackie Wayne is the still the man!!!

bulldawg28
07-12-2022, 08:07 AM
lol you so full of shit your still butt hurt your degree in basket weaving only got you back to your doublewide in Ackerman

Lol, you're a peon and a liar.

Tater
07-12-2022, 08:25 AM
Recruiting rankings always pander to large fanbases who sell clicks and coaches / schools who "play the game" with recruiting sites: Tennessee, A&M, etc. Shocking we have a doomsday post about recruiting right when the sites have their major ranking shakeup going into the season. /s

NIL only changes the legality of paying players (and therefore allows more open organization for some schools). A&M isn't the top recruiter because of NIL. They hired Bjork to set up "the network" like he facilitated at OM. They'd be #1 without it. But if you'll notice, the chairs are changing. Auburn & Florida are cycling out. LSU is in a precarious spot. Arkansas has a full class already, so their numbers are skewed comparatively (23 commits). They're not cycling in.

If anything, this just realigns the top half a bit. The bottom half won't keep up and within 10 years you'll be back to teams paying out the ass (Georgia going 100 in a 70) and teams like State, SCar, & UK being more efficient with their dollars because spending to go from 30th to 25th don't mean shit. Same as it always was. The gap doesn't widen from top half to bottom half because there is only so many seats and schollies available. The scholarship cap is the thing holding it together. As long as that is in place and we stay in the same conference as Alabama, we're going to have a shot every year. Not a great one, but a shot. And that's all you can ever really ask for.

parabrave
07-13-2022, 12:03 AM
Recruiting rankings always pander to large fanbases who sell clicks and coaches / schools who "play the game" with recruiting sites: Tennessee, A&M, etc. Shocking we have a doomsday post about recruiting right when the sites have their major ranking shakeup going into the season. /s

NIL only changes the legality of paying players (and therefore allows more open organization for some schools). A&M isn't the top recruiter because of NIL. They hired Bjork to set up "the network" like he facilitated at OM. They'd be #1 without it. But if you'll notice, the chairs are changing. Auburn & Florida are cycling out. LSU is in a precarious spot. Arkansas has a full class already, so their numbers are skewed comparatively (23 commits). They're not cycling in.

If anything, this just realigns the top half a bit. The bottom half won't keep up and within 10 years you'll be back to teams paying out the ass (Georgia going 100 in a 70) and teams like State, SCar, & UK being more efficient with their dollars because spending to go from 30th to 25th don't mean shit. Same as it always was. The gap doesn't widen from top half to bottom half because there is only so many seats and schollies available. The scholarship cap is the thing holding it together. As long as that is in place and we stay in the same conference as Alabama, we're going to have a shot every year. Not a great one, but a shot. And that's all you can ever really ask for.

The future AD, Head Coaches and all recruiting coordinators meetings will look like a "Moneyball" meeting. We need to go hire Billy Beanes Intern to run our Dept recruiting. And about 75% of all schools will have to do the same.

https://youtu.be/3MjxoaynCmk

Todd4State
07-13-2022, 12:37 AM

Good post.

I will say that when Saban retires there is going to be major shakeup in power in the SEC. Just like when Bear Bryant left. He'll be 71 this year and for reference guys like Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno were 80 and 85 respectively when they stopped. At some point he's going to stop in the next 10 years likely. And in the meantime other teams are going to use his age against him in recruiting. "Saban won't be at Bama when you graduate".

lastmajordog
07-13-2022, 10:33 AM

What i remember was JLD went to a prevent D that contributed in Tommy Pinebox two pt conversion win in Starkville. Also a question for Coach 34, I remember the DOGS just killing om with the tight end the first half. If memory serves there were no passes thrown to TE after the first half. Can you enlighten?

THE Bruce Dickinson
07-13-2022, 10:49 AM

He turned down Tennessee.

Maroonthirteen
07-13-2022, 11:23 AM
Not being close to the program, word in my circle, was that JWS lost respect of the team due to how he handled the relationship between ....... and .......

This lie has included whatever high profile player over and over through the years. I've never heard it included that player though. Nice twist.***

Coach34
07-13-2022, 04:34 PM
What i remember was JLD went to a prevent D that contributed in Tommy Pinebox two pt conversion win in Starkville. Also a question for Coach 34, I remember the DOGS just killing om with the tight end the first half. If memory serves there were no passes thrown to TE after the first half. Can you enlighten?

I dont remember alot of the schematics from the game except the prevent and them getting the 4th and 29. I knew at that point we were going to lose. No doubt they were going to go for 2 when they scored.

Homedawg
07-13-2022, 04:42 PM
He turned down Tennessee.

no he didn't. He would have biked to UT for that job.

Homedawg
07-13-2022, 04:44 PM
Another thing Joe Lee Dunn saved Jackie's ass with his defense on numerable occasions. joe Lee hated JWS. I was at a recruiting dinner one night at that steak house on old 182 going towards Columbus, can't remember the name, anyways JWS left after dinner and Joe Lee said now we can get down to business that asshole is gone! They were like oil and water! I miss no socks!

Joe Lee hated recruiting worse than Dan Mullen. He didn't get a soul. Not one.

Quaoarsking
07-13-2022, 06:23 PM
I'm as big of a Leach fanboy as exists in the entire fanbase, and I think it's very obvious that Tennessee turned down Leach, not the other way around.

They turned him down for ... Jeremy Pruitt. Pretty dumb of Tennessee. When Heupel fails, he'll be their 4th bust coach in a row since Kiffin left them high and dry.

HoopsDawg
07-13-2022, 07:27 PM
no he didn't. He would have biked to UT for that job.

Yeah, he campaigned hard for the Miami and UT jobs.

TrapGame
07-13-2022, 07:38 PM
I'm as big of a Leach fanboy as exists in the entire fanbase, and I think it's very obvious that Tennessee turned down Leach, not the other way around.

They turned him down for ... Jeremy Pruitt. Pretty dumb of Tennessee. When Heupel fails, he'll be their 4th bust coach in a row since Kiffin left them high and dry.

I remember the SI article with the big UT boosters furious when they found out Pruitt was hired over Leach. Heupel may bring them back to respectability but those Fat Phil days are long, long gone.

Coach34
07-13-2022, 07:53 PM
I think Heupel will be successful. He got them to play hard in Year 1. They were well-coached. Tennessee has money so they will get talent. I think they finally have their guy to get them back in the top half of the SEC consistently

BeardoMSU
07-13-2022, 07:54 PM

If only 1998 was a perpetual universe.

Maroonthirteen
07-13-2022, 08:14 PM
If only 1998 was a perpetual universe.

Even in 98, it took a 4th down saving PI to save them at Syracuse.
A missed game winning FG by Florida.
Sternor stumble.
Alabama being down and playing a 8-3 west opponent in Atlanta.
Then a NC game vs a FSU on their QB2.

It was all luck for the vols that year. The most plastic football NC I know of.

Goldendawg
07-13-2022, 08:19 PM
Good post.

I will say that when Saban retires there is going to be major shakeup in power in the SEC. Just like when Bear Bryant left. He'll be 71 this year and for reference guys like Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno were 80 and 85 respectively when they stopped. At some point he's going to stop in the next 10 years likely. And in the meantime other teams are going to use his age against him in recruiting. "Saban won't be at Bama when you graduate".

Most of today's "student athletes" in our easy transfer/NIL world will care less if Saban is there when they graduate. If there to transfer to, another story.

Coach34
07-13-2022, 08:28 PM
NIL will make Saban less of an issue. Guys will go play at SC if they offer more money than Bama. "Get Paid" is the motto for kids as early as the 8th grade today. The Jr High kids at Natchez literally had that on workout shirts

State82
07-13-2022, 09:04 PM
NIL will make Saban less of an issue. Guys will go play at SC if they offer more money than Bama. "Get Paid" is the motto for kids as early as the 8th grade today. The Jr High kids at Natchez literally had that on workout shirts

"Money talks and bullshit walks" is a more true mantra today than ever before.

Extendedcab
07-14-2022, 08:34 AM

How sad! 8th grade??? Wow!

parabrave
07-14-2022, 12:30 PM

Hey 34 how long til the "8th grade NIL" boomerangs? I will guess that in 3-4 years when most of these kids peak in the 11th grade will the fools with more money than sense wake up and this crap end. Then the kids handlers will go back to see what coach gets them to the NFL, like Saban.

Commercecomet24
07-14-2022, 01:26 PM
Joe Lee hated recruiting worse than Dan Mullen. He didn't get a soul. Not one.

This! Joe Lee DID NOT recruit.

Maroonthirteen
07-14-2022, 03:17 PM
How sad! 8th grade??? Wow!

Doesn't every kid want to play sports and become rich? All I thought about as kid was playing in the MLB but I thinking more about game winning hits than a paycheck. Although I wanted that paycheck too.

Seems the change is...although I don't know first hand...we were pushed hard and it was made clear to us that we had to earn everything. Maybe that still happens. I dnk. But I have my suspicions when it comes to the better athletes.

Extendedcab
07-14-2022, 03:38 PM
Doesn't every kid want to play sports and become rich? All I thought about as kid was playing in the MLB but I thinking more about game winning hits than a paycheck. Although I wanted that paycheck too.

Seems the change is...although I don't know first hand...we were pushed hard and it was made clear to us that we had to earn everything. Maybe that still happens. I dnk. But I have my suspicions when it comes to the better athletes.

When I was in the 8th grade, I don't think I considered becoming rich playing sports :confused:. My thoughts were around being a dominate player and scoring at the last second to win the game.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming about making money when you become an adult, but in the 8th grade to focus on money as a primary motive is a little much! I think it is putting the cart before the horse! I thought the desire to play sports was "mainly" for the love of the game - especially as an amateur. I guess times have changed and not for the better! I guess I am having a hard time swallowing that everybody that ever steps a foot on a field or course should be paid regardless of their age.

I want to see athletes that play the game for the love of the game and not for the love of money - and there is a difference in the way they approach the game.

parabrave
07-14-2022, 05:11 PM
When I was in the 8th grade, I don't think I considered becoming rich playing sports :confused:. My thoughts were around being a dominate player and scoring at the last second to win the game.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming about making money when you become an adult, but in the 8th grade to focus on money as a primary motive is a little much! I think it is putting the cart before the horse! I thought the desire to play sports was "mainly" for the love of the game - especially as an amateur. I guess times have changed and not for the better! I guess I am having a hard time swallowing that everybody that ever steps a foot on a field or course should be paid regardless of their age.

I want to see athletes that play the game for the love of the game and not for the love of money - and there is a difference in the way they approach the game.

It's not the kids but their handlers, parents, Uncles and their travel team coaches. Yes in PeeWee their are now "travel teams" just like the AAU in basketball/

WhiskeyPirate
07-14-2022, 10:29 PM

I feel the same way. I really don’t follow pro sports that much anymore, gave up college basketball and college football is the last worthy sport. If they just turn it into the nfl, I will probably just quit following it.

Tater
07-15-2022, 04:25 PM

When your family don't own the roof over their head and capitalism runs this unchecked, that's a consequence. It's crazy to see you on here complaining that kids are focused on their futures earlier and earlier when that's the reality of the system you love to also push. Hypocrite

R2Dawg
07-15-2022, 06:09 PM
Hey 34 how long til the "8th grade NIL" boomerangs? I will guess that in 3-4 years when most of these kids peak in the 11th grade will the fools with more money than sense wake up and this crap end. Then the kids handlers will go back to see what coach gets them to the NFL, like Saban.

The downward spiral will continue until idiots run out of money or some idiots wise up and quit throwing money at these kids. The whole thing is pathetic.

The crowd that says if you don't empty your pockets to these kids then you ain't a real fan or you don't want to win is BS. Unless you have unreal amounts of money, you ain't winning crap anyway if the money game continues.

R2Dawg
07-15-2022, 06:11 PM
It's not the kids but their handlers, parents, Uncles and their travel team coaches. Yes in PeeWee their are now "travel teams" just like the AAU in basketball/

It ain't the kids at first but they are raised that way as you say and then it is them.

R2Dawg
07-15-2022, 06:15 PM

Got to agree with this.

We have glorified our sports programs so much it is going to collapse our financial system. Sports redistributes wealth, it doesn't really produce needs of a society. Now we have a society that don't even know how or care how to make or provide things - hence the supply chain mess. No one wants to be a farmer, work in manufacturing, or make anything. Just give me a phone, some money and let me do sports.

All the money, support, and energy at most HS now revolves around sports and academics is going down the tank. I love sports but it is not the main thing.

Our priorities are way out of order.

Goldendawg
07-15-2022, 06:28 PM
Got to agree with this.

We have glorified our sports programs so much it is going to collapse our financial system. Sports redistributes wealth, it doesn't really produce needs of a society. Now we have a society that don't even know how or care how to make or provide things - hence the supply chain mess. No one wants to be a farmer, work in manufacturing, or make anything. Just give me a phone, some money and let me do sports.

All the money, support, and energy at most HS now revolves around sports and academics is going down the tank. I love sports but it is not the main thing.

Our priorities are way out of order.
Nothing new to see here. I remember when I subscribed to SI and Tug McGraw got one of the first $100K contracts, He was asked what he was going to do with the $. His reply, "I'm going to spend 90% on wine, women, and song and waste the rest". At least he had a plan. Seriously, I quit watching or keeping up with MLB, NBA, years ago because of the out of control contracts and now only watch NFL when Dak plays. After 50 plus years of season tickets for State, watching closely to see where college game is headed.

IMissJack
07-15-2022, 07:15 PM
Folks we need new leadership period. OM is running circles around us attracting top students. The last chart I saw showed that the same good SAT scores will get $5,000 more per year at OM. That is a lot for most families in MS. It feels like our leaders are just happy to be where they are, not improving.

R2Dawg
07-17-2022, 01:34 PM
Folks we need new leadership period. OM is running circles around us attracting top students. The last chart I saw showed that the same good SAT scores will get $5,000 more per year at OM. That is a lot for most families in MS. It feels like our leaders are just happy to be where they are, not improving.

Academically, MSU already has probably the best money scholarships available anywhere in the state and SEC. We are way ahead there. I live in Alabama and we get tons of Bama students due to that alone. Now the underachieving student athlete - yeah he ain't getting that much.

R2Dawg
07-17-2022, 01:35 PM
Nothing new to see here. I remember when I subscribed to SI and Tug McGraw got one of the first $100K contracts, He was asked what he was going to do with the $. His reply, "I'm going to spend 90% on wine, women, and song and waste the rest". At least he had a plan. Seriously, I quit watching or keeping up with MLB, NBA, years ago because of the out of control contracts and now only watch NFL when Dak plays. After 50 plus years of season tickets for State, watching closely to see where college game is headed.

Yep agree. I am where you are as well. Hoping they don't run college into the ground but it appears headed that way.

IMissJack
07-17-2022, 03:47 PM
Academically, MSU already has probably the best money scholarships available anywhere in the state and SEC. We are way ahead there. I live in Alabama and we get tons of Bama students due to that alone. Now the underachieving student athlete - yeah he ain't getting that much.
That is incorrect. I have a son that graduated in ?21 and a sophomore there now. We do not offer as much as OM.