PDA

View Full Version : Jameis "The Rapist" Winston gets a standing ovation at the FSU game.

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2013, 11:27 PM
I have lost all hope in humanity.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Well.... he hasn't even been charged with the crime yet. I do disagree with him getting a standing ovation, but, as of this minute, there is no proof that he is a rapist.

Coach34
11-23-2013, 11:35 PM
bullshit post

What if the chick is lying because he ****ed her and then told her he didnt want to see her anymore? Obviously there isnt much evidence or they would have arrested him months ago. There are lots of girls/women out there that are sorry as hell and lie about that shit

ckDOG
11-23-2013, 11:35 PM
**** that, I'd cheer for him until the evidence supported that he's a rapist. Until then, he's a famous guy with accusations.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2013, 11:39 PM
bullshit post

What if the chick is lying because he ****ed her and then told her he didnt want to see her anymore? Obviously there isnt much evidence or they would have arrested him months ago. There are lots of girls/women out there that are sorry as hell and lie about that shit

I agree Coach, but I did hear a stat the other day that said over 90% of reported rape cases were proven to be true.

Roger Kosak on ESPN, said that the proof usually lies in the injuries that the hospital has on record after the woman goes to the emergency room.

War Machine Dawg
11-23-2013, 11:39 PM
So much for "innocent until proven guilty."

Will James
11-23-2013, 11:40 PM
The Duke accuser was convicted of murder today

Coach34
11-23-2013, 11:42 PM
**** that, I'd cheer for him until the evidence supported that he's a rapist. Until then, he's a famous guy with accusations.

exactly

Tbonewannabe
11-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Yall havent read anything on this case I guess. DNA evidence proved he has been with her. The cop working the case talked the girl into going into counseling before bringing charges but then told the football staff before they actually started investigating. The girl thought the cop wouldnt tell them because he was telling her that fsu being a football town would make her life hell.

Quaoarsking
11-23-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm all for innocent until proven guilty, but they're going to be pretty embarrassed if it turns out he's guilty.

Obviously there isnt much evidence or they would have arrested him months ago. There are lots of girls/women out there that are sorry as hell and lie about that shit
Have you not read about the case at all? The woman reported the rape within 2 hours of the incident and submitted to the standard battery of invasive tests. But instead of testing the DNA, the Tallahassee spent months dragging their feet and stringing her along, even telling her to just let it go instead of implicating an athlete. Within a week of being forced to turn it over to the state, the state tested the DNA, confirmed it was Winston and started the investigation, which has now been going on for less than 2 weeks.

It doesn't mean Winston is guilty, but the "it's been 11 months!" argument doesn't work.

Quaoarsking
11-23-2013, 11:53 PM
In-thread scenario:

If Winston is arrested and charged he'll be dismissed from the team. If he is then acquitted, should we try to bring him in? You'd think our offense + our baseball program would be appealing to him, and the Big Boys aren't going to recruit damaged goods like that. We'd have a pretty good shot to land him.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Yall havent read anything on this case I guess. DNA evidence proved he has been with her. The cop working the case talked the girl into going into counseling before bringing charges but then told the football staff before they actually started investigating. The girl thought the cop wouldnt tell them because he was telling her that fsu being a football town would make her life hell.

Yea, I have heard all this, but that still doesn't mean he is guilty. Until he is charged with a crime, he is just being accused

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2013, 11:55 PM
In-thread scenario:

If Winston is arrested and charged he'll be dismissed from the team. If he is then acquitted, should we try to bring him in? You'd think our offense + our baseball program would be appealing to him, and the Big Boys aren't going to recruit damaged goods like that. We'd have a pretty good shot to land him.

Pretty sure he could go straight to the NFL. He red shirted last year, and will be eligible after next year. So if he tranfers, and has to sit out a year, then he will be eligible for the NFL by the time he could play for us.

msstate7
11-23-2013, 11:55 PM
In-thread scenario:

If he's acquitted, then yes.

Coach34
11-23-2013, 11:58 PM
I agree Coach, but I did hear a stat the other day that said over 90% of reported rape cases were proven to be true.

Roger Kosak on ESPN, said that the proof usually lies in the injuries that the hospital has on record after the woman goes to the emergency room.

My wife used to work with the DA's office specifically in these types of cases- and she says it's nothing close to that. She says that obviously she wants real rapists punished to the fullest extent of the law- but there are women that dont like being "one and done" and that is their way of getting back after the fact. And that type of stuff happens more than people realize

Kosak's statement is like saying water is wet. Of course if there are injuries and such there is some proof.

Coach34
11-24-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm all for innocent until proven guilty, but they're going to be pretty embarrassed if it turns out he's guilty.

Have you not read about the case at all? The woman reported the rape within 2 hours of the incident and submitted to the standard battery of invasive tests. But instead of testing the DNA, the Tallahassee spent months dragging their feet and stringing her along, even telling her to just let it go instead of implicating an athlete. Within a week of being forced to turn it over to the state, the state tested the DNA, confirmed it was Winston and started the investigation, which has now been going on for less than 2 weeks.

It doesn't mean Winston is guilty, but the "it's been 11 months!" argument doesn't work.

I havent seen Winston deny having sex with her. Doesnt mean he raped her. I'll let it play out before judging

Tbonewannabe
11-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Ray Lewis killed a guy and is more popular now. Just like that fullback for UM that time that put the guy in a coma, if you can play ball screw the law.

We will see how football crazy Tallahasee really is. LSU doesnt kick people off even if they are caught on camera.

Tbonewannabe
11-24-2013, 12:07 AM
The problem is the cop sunk the investigation by notifying winston months before the actual investigation. So now witnesses are completely worthless unless someone is just compelled to tell the truth.

msstate7
11-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Ray Lewis killed a guy and is more popular now. Just like that fullback for UM that time that put the guy in a coma, if you can play ball screw the law.

We will see how football crazy Tallahasee really is. LSU doesnt kick people off even if they are caught on camera.

Fsu has a rule that says he must be kicked off if charged. They'll have to change rule if they don't kick him off.

*** if life becomes unbearable in Tallahassee, I'm sure the accuser is very welcomed in Columbus, OH.

Coach34
11-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Well, the cop was right to tell her what he did- her life is indeed going to become Hell. If he did it, I wish her luck and for him to go to jail for a long time. If he didnt- I wish her a fiery death.

Tbonewannabe
11-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Fsu has a rule that says he must be kicked off if charged. They'll have to change rule if they don't kick him off.

*** if life becomes unbearable in Tallahassee, I'm sure the accuser is very welcomed in Columbus, OH.
I think she already quit school and left Tallahassee. Fsu's rule says they will be kicked off unless they make an exception. I am sure a national title is probably an exception in his case.

smootness
11-24-2013, 12:14 AM
I havent seen Winston deny having sex with her. Doesnt mean he raped her. I'll let it play out before judging

And that's how everyone should approach it.

But a standing ovation for the guy? On obvious response to the allegations? Absurd.

Saying, 'Who cares what you did, you're good at football!' is just as bad as rushing to judgement in a case like this.

I can't say that I think FSU should sit him, but it's awkward in cases like this. We have proof he was with the girl, and she has accused him of a serious crime, and it appears that charges may be around the corner. Just strange to have him in a position to be cheered right now. Just a weird situation.

Quaoarsking
11-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Again, no one is arguing that he shouldn't be considered innocent until proven guilty. Of course he should be. The way the Florida State fanbase has rallied around him is pretty sketchy though, since it's going to be really embarrassing if he's convicted.

If anyone in the athletic department knew about the investigation (and you know they probably did) and he's convicted, Jimbo and half the athletic department is going to be fired. The NCAA will probably come after them too, both sanctioning the program and probably giving Jimbo a show cause.

Quaoarsking
11-24-2013, 12:25 AM
My wife used to work with the DA's office specifically in these types of cases- and she says it's nothing close to that. She says that obviously she wants real rapists punished to the fullest extent of the law- but there are women that dont like being "one and done" and that is their way of getting back after the fact. And that type of stuff happens more than people realize

While false accusations do happen (I remember an unfortunate incident with an MSU tennis player a few years ago), false convictions of rape are extremely rare. In order to be convicted, it has to be beyond a shadow of a doubt, and the medical evidence necessary for a conviction is a smoking gun. Unfortunately, most women don't immediately go get a rape exam right after the rape (in fact 60% never report the incident in the first place), so the proof heals and there is enough reasonable doubt for the rapist to walk.

Jameis will not be convicted unless it he is 100% indisputably guilty. Nowadays, it is extremely unlikely to be wrongly convicted of rape, especially if you can afford to have a competent defense attorney.

Coach34
11-24-2013, 12:45 AM
A) how do we know 60% of rapes are never reported if they are NEVER reported?

B) look at it from an innocent guy's perspective- imagine having sex with a chick and then blowing her off. She gets mad and says you raped her. May not be any real evidence- but the accusation is there. Or worse, the DA is trying to make a name for himself and sends it a to a grand jury. Guy is forced to spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer and still hasn't been charged with a crime. Grand jury says it bullshit and case closed. Innocent guy has now had his name tarnished and spent thousands- all because of an accusation. Still never charged with a crime.

Just have to judge each case on actual facts and not jump to conclusions. But imagine if Winston hasn't done anything yet has to spend time and money to defend himself- and has people thinking him guilty regardless of how it turns out

Quaoarsking
11-24-2013, 12:58 AM
A) how do we know 60% of rapes are never reported if they are NEVER reported?
Not sure, but the statistic comes from the Justice Department, who would be the most qualified organization to produce that stat. "Reported" means filing a formal police report, not just telling a friend or counselor months or years after the fact, and I'm sure it's an approximate, extrapolated number.

B) look at it from an innocent guy's perspective- imagine having sex with a chick and then blowing her off. She gets mad and says you raped her. May not be any real evidence- but the accusation is there. Or worse, the DA is trying to make a name for himself and sends it a to a grand jury. Guy is forced to spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer and still hasn't been charged with a crime. Grand jury says it bullshit and case closed. Innocent guy has now had his name tarnished and spent thousands- all because of an accusation. Still never charged with a crime.
If a DA sends a case to a grand jury without any evidence just to "make a name for himself," he should be, and probably will be, disbarred and removed from office. The scenario you keep describing is very rare. Yes, there are false accusations, but they almost always go nowhere. It is unfortunate that media sources generally reveal the name of the accused even before the grand jury stage, and that may be something that should be changed.

What really should have happened is the Tallahassee PD should have figured out within a few weeks whether to pursue this or not and it could have all been over well before the start of football season.

Just have to judge each case on actual facts and not jump to conclusions. But imagine if Winston hasn't done anything yet has to spend time and money to defend himself- and has people thinking him guilty regardless of how it turns out
Yes, the facts of the case suggest that at the very least, the woman believes she was raped -- she reported it immediately, was not drunk despite media reports that she was (not that that's really relevant, but it does take away a possible smear), and resisted the Tallahassee PD's attempt to sweep it under the rug, and she apparently did it without even knowing that he was a football player. What is most likely is that it was some kind of nebulous half-consent which won't be near enough to convict Winston, but we don't know his side of the story at all. It does suck for him if he's innocent, of course, but if he's innocent it will pass and he'll go on to have a great NFL future and people will forget about this.

ETA: As often, Clay Travis gives a really good take on the whole case: http://outkickthecoverage.com/latest-on-the-jameis-winston-case-the-mess-grows.php

civildawg
11-24-2013, 07:46 AM
They could beat Florida with a walk on at qb next week.

Dawgface
11-24-2013, 08:18 AM
They could beat Florida with a walk on at qb next week.
True, that's all that really matters to the fans that gave him a standing ovation. All is good.